PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in the offseason of Argo players?

KCargosfan
05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Any idea of what some of the players do for work in the offseason? I think Cory Boyd worked as a trainer?

Obviously people like Chad Owens and Foley don't need to work with their salaries, but would be interesting to know what some of the others do.

Invader
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
In previous years many Argos worked at various Rona's Hardware outlets throughout Ontario in the off-season, a the CFL sponsor. Most CFL players develop a career outside of football for the transition to "retirement".

LLB997
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
fewer and fewer CFL players are needing a supplemental salary with the increase in salaries. And for alot, training and keeping fit is a full time off season pursuit these days.

argomANIA
05-24-2012, 08:19 AM
The majority are either realtors or trainers. Allows them to set their own hours

ArgoGabe22
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Mike Bradwell works for a construction firm. He studied engineering at McMaster (who doesn't everyone I know takes engineering at Mac). Foley's family has a farm but I'm not if he helps out. Evan McCollough works at Costco according to his bio. Bryan Crawford is the athletic director for a University (Guelph? Queens?)

ArgoGabe22
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Just remembered Jeff Johnson works in real estate, Andre Durie helps out with people who have autism. Ricky Ray worked at Frito Lays before playing in the CFL. Former Argo Robert Baker became a rapper lol

1argoholic
05-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I know that old Argos such as Rob Waldrop, Kelly Wiltshire and Jimmy 'The Jet' Cunningham are police officers now.

Funny to see Sean Millington on one of the Vancouver news channels talking finance a few times a week.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I know that old Argos such as Rob Waldrop, Kelly Wiltshire and Jimmy 'The Jet' Cunningham are police officers now.

Funny to see Sean Millington on one of the Vancouver news channels talking finance a few times a week.

I know that Chuck Ealey has been regularly seen on TV in southern Ontario talking finance or insurance (can't remember which one exactly).

ArgoGabe22
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Chuck works at Investors Group, talks on Rogers tv channel 10. Dave Mann was a golf instructor which was never mentioned in any articles.

Rich
05-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Chuck works at Investors Group

Yeah well lots of people work for Chuck, he's a Regional Director at Investors. He's done very well for himself and his family, and here's another example of a player who probably made a better decision to stay and play in Canada instead of giving the NFL a try. He had a huge college career at Toledo and still holds the NCAA record for most consecutive wins by a starting QB (35). He parlayed his CFL success on the field into an even more successful long-term business career in Toronto. This must be an very appealing prospect to some of those players with "ability and character" who are considering whether to be a starter in the CFL, or whether to to give the NFL an uncertain shot.

Will
05-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Cedric Minter is a principal in Boise, Idaho now. I believe Ravi got in touch with him a few years ago to confirm that it was the same Cedric Minter.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Cedric Minter is a principal in Boise, Idaho now. I believe Ravi got in touch with him a few years ago to confirm that it was the same Cedric Minter.

Wow, you have a good memory! Yeah, I just dropped him a quick email back in the early 2000s and he sent back a nice response.

Will
05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Wow, you have a good memory! Yeah, I just dropped him a quick email back in the early 2000s and he sent back a nice response.

I think you've referred to that e-mail since Ravi.

ArgoGabe22
05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Not sure if people know but I collect autographs and trying to track down former players is hard so I research to see what they're up to and send a photo, return postage and envelope and a letter. I sent to Minter and he wrote back a nice note. I don't ask them any questions to be answered or demand a response I just would like my photo signed to me. Some players don't respond whether the address was wrong or maybe they think I'm some sort of stalker lol

Sometimes I wonder am I invading their privacy or they think I try to sell them? Most do write short notes telling me they appreciate the fact someone took the time to contact them after all these years.

P.S. If you have any leads let me know. I'm always on the look out for articles on alumni.

gilthethrill
05-27-2012, 06:47 PM
P.S. If you have any leads let me know. I'm always on the look out for articles on alumni.

Former Argo DE Jeff Cummings who played for the Argos in 1995 is a head coach in the AUAA, I believe Acadia U. He comes across as a nice guy who would accomodate your request.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8