PDA

View Full Version : CFL fails on player safety

PullTogether73
06-29-2018, 08:24 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/06/29/cfl-suspends-kyries-hebert-one-game-hit-davaris-daniels/

Utterly absurd.
1 game suspension for a repeat offender who illustrated every aspect of how NOT to tackle!

I can't wait for the next CBA negotiations if this is somehow the doing of the CFLPA.
Why do player unions only ever support the transgressor in these situations?
If I was Davaris Daniels, I would be screaming to the CFLPA about not protecting my rights.

paulwoods13
06-30-2018, 08:22 AM
The next round of bargaining will not "solve" this problem. The CFLPA has a legal obligation to represent all of its members, not just the "clean" ones. Neither the PA nor the league will push in the next round of bargaining for long suspensions for predatory activity -- players don't want to risk losing paycheques, and teams don't want to risk losing key players.

OV Argo
06-30-2018, 10:03 AM
The players could fix a cheap-shot artist like Hebert themselves; next time they play, have a couple of Stamps O-linemen go hunting for the guy on hopefully a nothing play late in the game; one lineman grabs him and holds him and another delivers a shot to the ribs or gut (no intent to injure like taking out a knee); or they rip his helmet off and hold him down on the ground and face wash him. Worth the fine or suspension to teach the punk a lesson IMO, and somebody should have done it by now.

PullTogether73
06-30-2018, 12:36 PM
The next round of bargaining will not "solve" this problem. The CFLPA has a legal obligation to represent all of its members, not just the "clean" ones. Neither the PA nor the league will push in the next round of bargaining for long suspensions for predatory activity -- players don't want to risk losing paycheques, and teams don't want to risk losing key players.

They both risk losing credibility.
How the PA can support lawsuits advocating for player safety and yet defend this kind of play is beyond me.
The league can hardly represent themselves as upholders of player safety if they allow this type of play to go lightly punished.

And don't underestimate the groundswell of fan support for stronger punishment.
I have seen enough posts looking for serious repercussions specifically for Hebert for this play - including REDBLACKS fans on this occasion. Do the league and the PA want to alienate their fan base?

Finally, if players don't want to risk losing paycheques, they should refrain from play/conduct that is likely to result in suspension and loss of pay.

paulwoods13
06-30-2018, 12:38 PM
There won't be a groundswell of public demands for changes. This incident will be largely forgotten by next weekend.

halifaxguy
07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
The players could fix a cheap-shot artist like Hebert themselves; next time they play, have a couple of Stamps O-linemen go hunting for the guy on hopefully a nothing play late in the game; one lineman grabs him and holds him and another delivers a shot to the ribs or gut (no intent to injure like taking out a knee); or they rip his helmet off and hold him down on the ground and face wash him. Worth the fine or suspension to teach the punk a lesson IMO, and somebody should have done it by now.

What about last nights game in Sask? I thought they were trying to protect QBs? Hughes went in helmet to helmet on Willy, the play should've been reviewed by the command centre and they could've flagged it straight away and the guy thrown out of the game and a suspension.
The number one priority should be protecting the QBs

paulwoods13
07-01-2018, 01:47 PM
What about last nights game in Sask? I thought they were trying to protect QBs? Hughes went in helmet to helmet on Willy, the play should've been reviewed by the command centre and they could've flagged it straight away and the guy thrown out of the game and a suspension.
The number one priority should be protecting the QBs

I don't disagree that Hughes seemed to use his helmet, and I suspect he will be fined. But I don't agree that protecting QBs should be the top priority. All players deserve equal protection from cheap shots. Yes, QB is an extremely important position in football -- but there can't be a double standard applied to dirty hits. Penalize them all equally. If we really want to protect QBs because they are the most responsible for entertainment, we could stop allowing them to be hit, period. I don't think too many fans would support that at this time.

halifaxguy
07-03-2018, 09:10 AM
I don't disagree that Hughes seemed to use his helmet, and I suspect he will be fined. But I don't agree that protecting QBs should be the top priority. All players deserve equal protection from cheap shots. Yes, QB is an extremely important position in football -- but there can't be a double standard applied to dirty hits. Penalize them all equally. If we really want to protect QBs because they are the most responsible for entertainment, we could stop allowing them to be hit, period. I don't think too many fans would support that at this time.

I think the difference is that Hebert led with the crown of his helmet into the receiver to dislodge the ball which of course is wrong and it deserved a penalty and the suspennsion.
With the Hughes hit on the QB, it was helmet to helmet which to me is more worhy of a fine and suspension, there was no penalty and so far no announcement of a fine or suspension on Hughes.

gilthethrill
07-03-2018, 02:46 PM
I think the difference is that Hebert led with the crown of his helmet into the receiver to dislodge the ball which of course is wrong and it deserved a penalty and the suspennsion.
With the Hughes hit on the QB, it was helmet to helmet which to me is more worhy of a fine and suspension, there was no penalty and so far no announcement of a fine or suspension on Hughes.

Herbert left his feet and used his body like a projectile....very dangerous.

PullTogether73
07-04-2018, 03:28 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/04/redblack-kyries-hebert-says-being-called-dirty-hurt-my-feelings/#comment-166123

Incredible!
Hebert really does not get it!

I've never advocated for players to dole out "justice" on the playing surface, but this guy needs to be taken out for the safety of the other players, not just as payback for previous dirty play.
If the league won't do it...

halifaxguy
07-05-2018, 01:10 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/04/redblack-kyries-hebert-says-being-called-dirty-hurt-my-feelings/#comment-166123

Incredible!
Hebert really does not get it!

I've never advocated for players to dole out "justice" on the playing surface, but this guy needs to be taken out for the safety of the other players, not just as payback for previous dirty play.
If the league won't do it...

As someone stated - He has made over 400 tackles and only 4 were considered dirty enough to be fined for.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8