PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts Uniform Combinations?

Stevoman
07-14-2018, 01:11 PM
So far this season has been all blue at home and blue pants with white jersey and blue helmets for away games.

Now, these might be my two favourite looks that they have and I especially love the blue helmet but I am just wondering if anyone knows why they are not using the white helmets or white pants anymore?

I enjoyed the variety last season.

Bruro
07-14-2018, 01:32 PM
I like the dark blue on blue but the white helmets are cool too. Just dont bring back those white jerseys with the big fat "A" on the front. Looks awful. Football uniforms should have numbers on the front, dont mess with tradition:)

paulwoods13
07-14-2018, 02:09 PM
I have no idea why they have gone the way they have so far, but I am really hoping we never again see the all-blue look from the past two home games. IMO it is the second-worst option they have. Last year they did all kinds of variations, and the only one I liked less than B/B/B/O was W/W/W/W.

Gm Opp Site Res Hmt Jers Pts Sks
Pre1 Mtl H W W B B W
Pre2 Ham A W W B B W
1 Ham H W W B W O
2 BC H L B B B O
3 Ott A W W W W W
4 Wpg A L B W B O
5 Ott H W W B W W
6 Sask A L W W W W
7 Cal H L W B W W
8 Mtl A L B W B O
9 Mtl H W W W W C
10 Cal A L W W W C
11 Ham A L W W B O
12 Edm H W B W B O
13 Mtl H W B B B O
14 Ham A W W W W W
15 Ssk H L W B W O
16 Edm A L B W B W
17 Wpg H W W B W C
18 BC A W W W W W
P1 Ssk H W B B B O
P2 Cal N W B B B O

Argo57
07-14-2018, 02:58 PM
All blue is quite slimming Paul.

PullTogether73
07-14-2018, 03:55 PM
All blue is quite slimming Paul.

:D

I wish the Argonauts would stop using white as a primary colour for uniforms.
They are known as "The Double Blue" for a reason.
Use both blues as the primary uniform colours - as they used to do. White can be an accent colour.

And please don't say that you like the white uniforms. You'd be missing the point entirely.
E.G. The Chicago Bears white jerseys look good with their navy pants for away games. But the Bears team colours are navy and orange. They should be using those. Same with the Chicago Blackhawks - red and black.

With the advent of colour tv back in the 1960s, the need for white uniforms ended long ago.

paulwoods13
07-14-2018, 04:30 PM
But I like the white uniforms . . .

Seriously, although the official Argo colours are Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue, white is necessary IMO. Unis with two primary colours (like B.C.'s home unis) and no white at all are uniformly ugly, IMO. Argo unis with only two shades of blue would be far less attractive than unis with the two blues and a significant amount of white, for contrast as well as accent.

Foxhound
07-14-2018, 04:30 PM
I just don't like the same colour jersey and pant combinations. I prefer the dark jersey with white or light pants for home games and the white jerseys with dark pants on the road.

And I hate the way teams have taken to printing the city or team name above the numbers on jersey fronts. I don't like the way the additional letters busy up the jersey fronts. I prefer a clean presentation. Besides fans are already supposed to know which team they're watching from the team logos and jersey colours!

paulwoods13
07-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Speaking of unis, I noticed last night that Argos were wearing only one sponsor patch (WFG), and you could see on Franklin's jersey where a second sponsor patch had been removed. Anyone know if we are getting a new second sponsor patch to replace whatever was removed?

Foxhound
07-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Put the Radically Canadian parch back on jerseys! The Government of Canada should pay for those.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/imageproxy.php?url=http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/ArgosRetroJersey.jpg

PullTogether73
07-14-2018, 07:12 PM
But I like the white uniforms . . .

Seriously, although the official Argo colours are Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue, white is necessary IMO. Unis with two primary colours (like B.C.'s home unis) and no white at all are uniformly ugly, IMO. Argo unis with only two shades of blue would be far less attractive than unis with the two blues and a significant amount of white, for contrast as well as accent.

I agree that for the Argonauts, white as an accent colour is a good route to go (I prefer that their numbers be framed in a third colour), but not as a primary colour.
Use white as the accent, but flip the Cambridge and Oxford blues as the dominant colours for two uniform options.

PullTogether73
07-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Speaking of unis, I noticed last night that Argos were wearing only one sponsor patch (WFG), and you could see on Franklin's jersey where a second sponsor patch had been removed. Anyone know if we are getting a new second sponsor patch to replace whatever was removed?

Did you see that ALL of the western teams are getting the same two sponsor patches?
I can't remember who are the companies, but I am intrigued that they got their patch on all of the western teams only.

1971GreyCup
07-14-2018, 07:26 PM

It looked like CP sponsorship label was removed after the last home game against Edmonton?

Argo57
07-14-2018, 07:30 PM
I’m old school.
Home: Dark Blue Jersey, White Pants and Blue Helmet.
Away: White Jersey, Dark Blue Pants and Blue Helmet (My favorite).
Argos have the nicest uniforms in pro football IMO.
The all white and all blue combos not as nice.

Foxhound
07-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Unis with two primary colours (like B.C.'s home unis) and no white at all are uniformly ugly, IMO.

I really liked the straight orange jerseys the Lions had two years ago:

http://www.vancouversun.com/cms/binary/11413588.jpg

It was a clean classic look, but of course for whatever reason they were somehow compelled to make a change.

:ohno:

Foxhound
07-14-2018, 08:57 PM
I’m old school.

I agree 100%!

:)

Argo57
07-14-2018, 09:12 PM
I really liked the straight orange jerseys the Lions had two years ago:

http://www.vancouversun.com/cms/binary/11413588.jpg

It was a clean classic look, but of course for whatever reason they were somehow compelled to make a change.

BC’s current uniforms suck IMO.
Should have stayed with the colour scheme and logo above ^^^^^

PullTogether73
07-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Put the Radically Canadian parch back on jerseys! The Government of Canada should pay for those.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/imageproxy.php?url=http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/ArgosRetroJersey.jpg

Ah!
A little white to frame the numbers and one or two white stripes on the sleeve and voila! The perfect Argos second jersey.

Does anybody have one of these to sell in size L or even XL btw?

paulwoods13
07-15-2018, 06:44 AM
IMO the best looks the Argos have involve (a) contrast between the pants and jerseys, and (b) socks that are different colour than the pants. The worst looks involve (a) no contrast between top and bottom, and (b) socks the same colour as the pants (pyjama look).

Ideally, they would wear Cambridge Blue upper socks at all times, but especially with the Oxford (road) pants. The white pants should be accented by Oxford or Cambridge upper socks, never white uppers.

Can't go wrong with either helmet (if we even still have the white ones) but IMO white helmet should be worn with white jersey and blue helmet with blue jersey.

gilthethrill
07-15-2018, 06:49 AM
I’m old school.

Agree with everything you said except about the all white combo. Totally don't like all blue combo at all.

smokeslet'sgo
07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
I agree that for the Argonauts, white as an accent colour is a good route to go (I prefer that their numbers be framed in a third colour), but not as a primary colour.
Use white as the accent, but flip the Cambridge and Oxford blues as the dominant colours for two uniform options.

I think the CFL could go with a soccer-style "clash" system, there's no need for white jerseys anymore since colour TV and especially HDTV/4KTV are a thing. Each team wears their "main" (colour) jersey at home, and the road team also wears their main jersey unless there's a "clash" ie. red vs. red, then, the road team wears a secondary.

But then again I think the Argos' white jersey is one of the best in the CFL, if not all of football. I'm conflicted

mchesher03
07-19-2018, 08:53 AM
No one has talked it up yet that I’ve seen but I like the Cambridge blue socks too….

paulwoods13
07-19-2018, 03:03 PM
No one has talked it up yet that I’ve seen but I like the Cambridge blue socks too….

They could be used with both sets of pants, should imo always be used with the Oxford pants and regularly with the white pants. As I've said before, same coloured pants and socks is imo unattractive and pyjama-like.

Foxhound
07-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Very true.

:)

Stevoman
08-30-2018, 11:12 PM
Argos look to be wearing their white helmets this week. My prediction is that they go with them the rest of the season for half and half split.

paulwoods13
08-31-2018, 08:36 AM
I just hope we get a contrast look this week, for once. That is, blue pants with the white jerseys.

gilthethrill
08-31-2018, 03:56 PM
I predict the home team will be wearing single dark colour.....very predictable.

Foxhound
09-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Don't the marketing and PR fellows so disinterested in public opinion? Don't they even read this thread?

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes that someone with some influence in the organization reads it and orders a change for the last four games.

For reasons unknown, the Argos went from tons of different combinations and looks last season to just (by my unscientific count) four looks this year:

Blue/blue/blue/Oxford for all home games
Blue/white/blue/Oxford for early road games
White/white/white/Oxford for some road games
White/white/white/white for recent road games

The first and last looks (all-Oxford, all-white) are IMO the least attractive of the 24 options available with the current uniforms. Surely we could get some more contrasting looks over these last four games, as a way of salvaging something from this lost season? And in particular, can we please ditch the same-pants-and-socks look once and for all?

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes that someone with some influence in the organization reads it and orders a change for the last four games.

For reasons unknown, the Argos went from tons of different combinations and looks last season to just (by my unscientific count) four looks this year:

Blue/blue/blue/Oxford for all home games
Blue/white/blue/Oxford for early road games
White/white/white/Oxford for some road games
White/white/white/white for recent road games

The first and last looks (all-Oxford, all-white) are IMO the least attractive of the 24 options available with the current uniforms. Surely we could get some more contrasting looks over these last four games, as a way of salvaging something from this lost season? And in particular, can we please ditch the same-pants-and-socks look once and for all?

For road games, I really liked the all white look, but with Cambridge blue socks. They did it a couple of times last year, including once at home (the Ex home game against the Als). Looked very sharp.

R.J
10-09-2018, 03:07 PM
I love the all oxford look; change the socks to cambridge blue, and it'd be the best combo of all time IMO.

I'm not crazy about the white helmets, but I suppose it only really works with the all white look.

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 03:54 PM
For road games, I really liked the all white look, but with Cambridge blue socks. They did it a couple of times last year, including once at home (the Ex home game against the Als). Looked very sharp.

I agree -- with the Cambridge socks, all-white looks good. With the white socks (i.e. white top to bottom), they look like old-school nurses. It doesn't help that the white upper socks look baggy on many of the players.

doubleblue
10-09-2018, 03:57 PM
I just hope we get a contrast look this week, for once. That is, blue pants with the white jerseys.

I for one would like to see that. I can remember when the Argos (way back when) first showed that combination. After their all white at the time, I thought it was great.

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm not crazy about the white helmets, but I suppose it only really works with the all white look.

Have to disagree -- I think both helmets look sharp, provided there is contrast in the look. White-White-Oxford-Cambridge, White-Oxford-White-Oxford, White-Oxford-White-Cambridge (top to bottom) all look sharp IMO. If I had to choose a single helmet I'd go with the Oxford, but I like having two different helmet looks. (However, I suspect the days are numbered for that idea because it's harder to ensure safe helmets when there are twice as many in circulation.)

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 04:02 PM
I for one would like to see that. I can remember when the Argos (way back when) first showed that combination. After their all white at the time, I thought it was great.

How far back are you talking? I recall white jerseys/Oxford pants in 1968 or 1969. I believe they wore Cambridge pants with white jerseys at times during the earlier 1960s. White-white has also been a fairly frequent staple but I think they always wore Oxford pants on the road from 1969ish to 1980. White/white came back at beginning of 1981 and stayed until 1991 when white/Oxford returned. Then white/white came back again in 1995 and stayed until 2004 (I think). I really wish there was some way of documenting precisely what unis have been worn every year in at least the modern era (i.e. since 1954). Baseball teams have this all thoroughly documented but there is no similar database for Cdn football.

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 05:02 PM
How far back are you talking? I recall white jerseys/Oxford pants in 1968 or 1969. I believe they wore Cambridge pants with white jerseys at times during the earlier 1960s. White-white has also been a fairly frequent staple but I think they always wore Oxford pants on the road from 1969ish to 1980. White/white came back at beginning of 1981 and stayed until 1991 when white/Oxford returned. Then white/white came back again in 1995 and stayed until 2004 (I think). I really wish there was some way of documenting precisely what unis have been worn every year in at least the modern era (i.e. since 1954). Baseball teams have this all thoroughly documented but there is no similar database for Cdn football.

There was a time, back in the mid-70's, when they wore Oxford helmets (with the old A), then Cambridge jerseys and pants (not sure about the socks but I think Oxford stripe at top of white sock). On the road, they wore Oxford helmets, white jerseys and Cambridge pants. It was only for a couple of seasons, around the time that Russ Jackson was the coach. Wasn't crazy about the look! Soon after they went to the Oxford jerseys at home with white pants and then adopted the boat logo on the helmets. All this between '75 and '78, I'd say.

ArgoRavi
10-09-2018, 10:07 PM
There was a time, back in the mid-70's, when they wore Oxford helmets (with the old A), then Cambridge jerseys and pants (not sure about the socks but I think Oxford stripe at top of white sock). On the road, they wore Oxford helmets, white jerseys and Cambridge pants. It was only for a couple of seasons, around the time that Russ Jackson was the coach. Wasn't crazy about the look! Soon after they went to the Oxford jerseys at home with white pants and then adopted the boat logo on the helmets. All this between '75 and '78, I'd say.

You are speaking of the look that they had in 1975-76 which were indeed the two seasons that Russ Jackson coached the team. They wore the baby blues at home and, while I know I am in the minority, I really liked that look as that is my first remembrance of watching the Argos. They went with the boat logo on the helmets and re-jigged their uniforms in 1977 when Leo Cahill returned.

paulwoods13
10-10-2018, 08:13 AM
You are speaking of the look that they had in 1975-76 which were indeed the two seasons that Russ Jackson coached the team. They wore the baby blues at home and, while I know I am in the minority, I really liked that look as that is my first remembrance of watching the Argos. They went with the boat logo on the helmets and re-jigged their uniforms in 1977 when Leo Cahill returned.

Yes, that is all correct. The Cambridge Blue home unis were only OK IMO -- nice colour to feature, but shame about the no-contrast look. I believe 75-76 was the first time the white jerseys used Cambridge numbers, which I still think is their best jersey look.

AngeloV
10-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Yes, that is all correct. The Cambridge Blue home unis were only OK IMO -- nice colour to feature, but shame about the no-contrast look. I believe 75-76 was the first time the white jerseys used Cambridge numbers, which I still think is their best jersey look.

I personally don't like Cambridge blue numbers on white jerseys. I find it hard to make out the numbers as it is too light coloured.

West Coast Boatman
10-10-2018, 09:21 AM
I agree -- with the Cambridge socks, all-white looks good. With the white socks (i.e. white top to bottom), they look like old-school nurses. It doesn't help that the white upper socks look baggy on many of the players.

I for one LOVE the all-white look. And I know the players love it. I follow many of them on IG and they are quick to show off the all-whites. To use current terms - it's "Icy". Fashion is certainly a matter of taste.

doubleblue
10-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Sometime in the 60's, 68/69 sounds about right.

R.J
10-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Have to disagree -- I think both helmets look sharp, provided there is contrast in the look. White-White-Oxford-Cambridge, White-Oxford-White-Oxford, White-Oxford-White-Cambridge (top to bottom) all look sharp IMO. If I had to choose a single helmet I'd go with the Oxford, but I like having two different helmet looks. (However, I suspect the days are numbered for that idea because it's harder to ensure safe helmets when there are twice as many in circulation.)
I'd much rather see the Argonauts spend some money and buy the VICIS Zero1 helmet for players than having 2 separate coloured helmets. Either way, I don't find the white helmet that great looking, and it's unnecessary IMO.

Foxhound
06-28-2019, 10:45 AM

So we keep telling the Argonaut organization that we hate the same colour jersey and pants combination but the Argos keep trotting out onto the field in uni-colour uniforms!

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2019/06/DSC00284-1600x1067.jpg

I really don't understand. Why do they refuse to listen to us the fans? We're the customers!

mchesher03
06-28-2019, 11:38 AM
indifferent on helmet colour to be honest. However I'm pro-contrast like Paul:
- Blue Jersey, White Pants, Cambridge Blue Socks
- White Jersey, Blue Pants, Cambridge Blue Socks

as you could tell - i have no clue why they don't wear the cambridge blue socks all the time.

paulwoods13
06-28-2019, 12:29 PM
So we keep telling the Argonaut organization that we hate the same colour jersey and pants combination but the Argos keep trotting out onto the field in uni-colour uniforms!

I really don't understand. Why do they refuse to listen to us the fans? We're the customers!

My theory is that teams (not just the Argos, as this trend is rampant) have allowed players to choose their preferred look, and players in general like the monochrome look. Dark monochrome unis supposedly look tougher. I obviously disagree completely with that notion, and if I were team president the decision on uniforms would be simple -- contrast all the way, home and away, and no same socks/pants "pyjamas" look. Unfortunately I'm not team president.

Foxhound
06-28-2019, 03:15 PM

as you could tell - i have no clue why they don't wear the cambridge blue socks all the time.

I fully agree.

ArgoGabe22
06-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Bring back white pants @ home!

gilthethrill
06-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Same coloured pant and jersey combo are just plain boring. But you see that in the NFL and college level now too. Not sure how this originated or why.

Argo57
06-28-2019, 06:52 PM
My theory is that teams (not just the Argos, as this trend is rampant) have allowed players to choose their preferred look, and players in general like the monochrome look. Dark monochrome unis supposedly look tougher. I obviously disagree completely with that notion, and if I were team president the decision on uniforms would be simple -- contrast all the way, home and away, and no same socks/pants "pyjamas" look. Unfortunately I'm not team president.

Like it used to be, agreed.

paulwoods13
06-29-2019, 01:26 PM

Speaking of socks, it is increasingly apparent that whatever rules used to exist re showing skin on the legs are no longer in effect. The Ticats dressed a backup kicker last week (one of the Mexican players, I believe) who wore his pants way above the knee. Looked like he was wearing shorts. Ugliest look I have ever seen. Argos also dressed some guys who showed their bare knees. And this trend of having bare legs at the bottom of the upper socks has really got to go. Beltre does this every game; it looks incredibly amateurish, IMO. Say what you want about the NFL but at least they make players cover their entire legs, the way football uniforms have been worn at the pro level for many decades.

Foxhound
07-02-2019, 01:56 PM
I agree 100%! Bare legs are sloppy attire and should not be tolerated.

:mad:

paulwoods13
07-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Now that the stink of last night's performance is fading, I'd love to hear opinions about the look the team wore. I was initially (and predictably) unhappy with the white pants/white jerseys, but once the game was on I grew to like the look. The caveat is that IMO the look worked only because the upper socks were Cambridge Blue. Had they used Oxford uppers or (heaven forbid) white uppers, I'd be total thumbs down on this look. But the Cambridge socks nicely matched the numbers and made for what I have to concede was a sharp look. That said, I think I would still prefer Oxford pants with white jerseys (and Cambridge socks) on the road, and would definitely like to see that look in action to judge whether it is in fact better than what we had last night.

RB957
07-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Now that the stink of last night's performance is fading, I'd love to hear opinions about the look the team wore. I was initially (and predictably) unhappy with the white pants/white jerseys, but once the game was on I grew to like the look. The caveat is that IMO the look worked only because the upper socks were Cambridge Blue. Had they used Oxford uppers or (heaven forbid) white uppers, I'd be total thumbs down on this look. But the Cambridge socks nicely matched the numbers and made for what I have to concede was a sharp look. That said, I think I would still prefer Oxford pants with white jerseys (and Cambridge socks) on the road, and would definitely like to see that look in action to judge whether it is in fact better than what we had last night.

I thought the Argos looked really sharp. Too bad they played anything but. Oxford pants would look good as well, but I have no issue with what they wore. I really like the light blue numbers, even though it is sometimes hard to read them.

Neely2005
07-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Speaking of socks, it is increasingly apparent that whatever rules used to exist re showing skin on the legs are no longer in effect. The Ticats dressed a backup kicker last week (one of the Mexican players, I believe) who wore his pants way above the knee. Looked like he was wearing shorts. Ugliest look I have ever seen. Argos also dressed some guys who showed their bare knees. And this trend of having bare legs at the bottom of the upper socks has really got to go. Beltre does this every game; it looks incredibly amateurish, IMO. Say what you want about the NFL but at least they make players cover their entire legs, the way football uniforms have been worn at the pro level for many decades.

Tonight some of the Winnipeg players aren't wearing socks at all. I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Wobbler
07-05-2019, 10:24 PM
I thought the Argos looked really sharp. Too bad they played anything but.
This is the path to madness. Say "hi" to Dr. Woods when you arrive! :)

The ideal Argo uniform is an Oxford blue jersey (and helmet) plus white pants with modest Cambridge blue highlights. Fight me!

paulwoods13
07-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Tonight some of the Winnipeg players aren't wearing socks at all. I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Sigh.

Stevoman
07-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Sigh.

I think the no socks thing is a complete embarrassment and they should be mandated to wear them. Oh, and players should have to tuck in their jerseys too. This is why it is called a "uniform". So that the players look alike.

Argos are all blue today. I too would prefer the contrast of having white pants instead.

AngeloV
07-06-2019, 02:03 PM
I really don’t care if players are wearing socks or not. This is sports, not the military. It’s meant to be fun. I don’t get the whole this is embarrassing thing. Same as I don’t get it when people knock Mike O’Shea and Devone Claybrooks for the way they dress as head coaches. Lighten up everyone.

paulwoods13
07-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Uniforms mean something. They are part of the spectacle, and as Stevoman said they are intended to bring a look of, er, uniformity to a team. Having guys looking like they don't care offends me. Not wearing socks is not vastly different than if guys wore different coloured pants than their teammates. That would not be allowed, so why the exception/turning a blind eye for socks, which have always been considered an integral part of football uniforms?

I can live without tucked-in jerseys because teams have (in every case) gone to a different style of jersey that is form-fitting and the right length. But even with that, guys are flouting the rules, like Wilder raising the jersey up which appears to have no purpose other than to show off his six-pack abs.

As for the Argos wearing all blue again today, it was sadly predictable. I'm prepared to abandon hope of them ever again getting the combination correct. That ship seems to have sailed, for reasons unknown.

Stevoman
07-06-2019, 04:28 PM
I really don’t care if players are wearing socks or not. This is sports, not the military. It’s meant to be fun. I don’t get the whole this is embarrassing thing. Same as I don’t get it when people knock Mike O’Shea and Devone Claybrooks for the way they dress as head coaches. Lighten up everyone.

I get where you're coming from in terms of allowing players to be free and I have absolutely no issues with Claybrooks and O'Shea (they are wearing team paraphernalia after all) but the lack of socks does not look professional and it truly looks like they are missing part of the uniform, because they are.

paulwoods13
07-06-2019, 06:10 PM
At least we have busted out the Cambridge socks today, but just imagine how sharp the unis would look with white pants and Cambridge socks.

Golden Fleece
07-06-2019, 09:28 PM
The all blue look is growing on me tonight especially with the numbers and socks matching. Feels like the sleeves could use stripes though. Thicker white outline of the numbers too.

R.J
07-06-2019, 10:10 PM
About the only good thing I can say about the Argos organization right now was the uniform tonight.

ArgoGabe22
07-06-2019, 11:21 PM
I like the all whites more so than the all blues. Stripes are definitely needed. Why would anyone buy a blank jersey?

Joe Barnes
07-07-2019, 12:09 AM
I like the all whites more so than the all blues. Stripes are definitely needed. Why would anyone buy a blank jersey?

Yeah, the guy who guessed correctly in the 'Ball Under the Finger' contest won a blank jersey. When they gave it to him, people around me laughed. It looked like a cheap t-shirt. That said, the look tonight, all Oxford but with Cambridge socks, looked really good. But I, too, miss the stripes and you still can't read those numbers very well.

I hope they continue with the Cambridge socks...

Argo57
07-07-2019, 12:21 AM
Yeah, the guy who guessed correctly in the 'Ball Under the Finger' contest won a blank jersey. When they gave it to him, people around me laughed. It looked like a cheap t-shirt. That said, the look tonight, all Oxford but with Cambridge socks, looked really good. But I, too, miss the stripes and you still can't read those numbers very well.

$129.00 for basically a generic blue practice jersey, gotta love it👍

Argo57
07-07-2019, 12:22 AM
About the only good thing I can say about the Argos organization right now was the uniform tonight.

Even that ain’t saying much.

R.J
07-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Even that ain’t saying much.
I suppose it'd be nice if they added Cambridge Blue and White strips on the sleeves...

Neely2005
07-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Yeah at least give the winner a Jersey with a player name and number on it. This Jersey is terrible but it looks a little better once it has a name and number.

ArgoZ
07-07-2019, 09:19 AM
The complete uniforms look fine, sometimes very sharp. I’ve decided that overall I don’t like them because they don’t look or feel like the Argonauts I’ve followed my whole life. It feels like 1995 and out of place. The blue numbers are too dark, not the right shade of blue. As for the jersey winner, is it that hard to grab a heat pressed (no they are not stitched) Derek Walker jersey for the guy?

Foxhound
07-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Uniforms mean something. They are part of the spectacle, and as Stevoman said they are intended to bring a look of, er, uniformity to a team. Having guys looking like they don't care offends me. Not wearing socks is not vastly different than if guys wore different coloured pants than their teammates. That would not be allowed, so why the exception/turning a blind eye for socks, which have always been considered an integral part of football uniforms?

...the lack of socks does not look professional and it truly looks like they are missing part of the uniform, because they are.

I agree. Players without socks look sloppy. Player comfort issues are a secondary consideration. The CFL is selling a sporting event to paying customers for upwards of $100 per ticket and to TV audiences of millions. The sloppy look is therefore simply unacceptable.

The rule is on the books; enforce it.

:mad:

Foxhound
07-08-2019, 11:35 AM
At least we have busted out the Cambridge socks today, but just imagine how sharp the unis would look with white pants and Cambridge socks.

The all blue look is growing on me tonight especially with the numbers and socks matching.

https://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/John-White-IV.jpg

The home uniforms definitely look sharper with the Cambridge blue socks instead of the dark blue socks worn against the Tiger-Cats earlier this season. I'd still prefer white pants with a Cambridge blue stripe with the dark blue jerseys though.

:(

ArgoGabe22
07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Socks is due to heat, I as told. But that seems to be a Winnipeg thing. Is Winnipeg more humid than other CFL
cities?

Neely2005
07-08-2019, 12:38 PM
I think the no socks thing is a complete embarrassment and they should be mandated to wear them. Oh, and players should have to tuck in their jerseys too. This is why it is called a "uniform". So that the players look alike.

Argos are all blue today. I too would prefer the contrast of having white pants instead.

Agreed that the league should be enforcing that everyone is required to wear socks.

ArgoZ
07-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Great picture to illustrate the colours. Look at the numbers, not even close to the right light blue. The helmets are correct and hence do not match the uni’s anymore.

Duran Carter looked ridiculous last game with no socks and his jersey not tucked in. Is he trying to rebel or create his own unique look? He looked like a slob and I agree it’s unprofessional.

Neely2005
07-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Socks is due to heat, I as told. But that seems to be a Winnipeg thing. Is Winnipeg more humid than other CFL
cities?

Well the game was in Ottawa and most players were wearing socks...

paulwoods13
07-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Great picture to illustrate the colours. Look at the numbers, not even close to the right light blue. The helmets are correct and hence do not match the uni’s anymore.

Duran Carter looked ridiculous last game with no socks and his jersey not tucked in. Is he trying to rebel or create his own unique look? He looked like a slob and I agree it’s unprofessional.

I don't know how you are determining what the "right" light blue is. The official team colours are Oxford (dark) and Cambridge (light) blue. Whether the team uses the actual pantones for either colour, who knows? There is little doubt, though, that the "light" blue has had many variations in the uniforms over the years. IMO the jerseys introduced in 2012 had the closest we have seen to the actual Cambridge Blue, which has quite a greenish tinge. But the current "Cambridge Blue," however close it is to the pantone, looks just fine to me. Ideally colours should always match between the helmets, jerseys, pants and socks, but there have been countless examples of teams whose jersey colours do not really match their helmet colours.

As for "Duran" Carter, I agree about the socks. But as for the untucked-in jersey, every single player in the league does not tuck his jersey in. Jerseys haven't been tuckable for years. Some guys just wear them with a sloppier look than others (like Wilder and Carter).

ArgoZ
07-08-2019, 06:19 PM
^

Your right, the right blue is open to interpretation. I prefer the baby blue that we saw in 91-94, 2007 onwards and the last few years here at BMO (what’s currently on the helmets and what looks like the socks). The jerseys and pants stripe look way off and too dark, almost ultramarine blue. It’s so obvious, it bothers me. I’m surprised many others do not notice.

Carter’s jersey hanged past his bottom. Looking at the above photo, it sure looks like every players jersey is tucked in. That’s news to me that they are shorter. I’ve had numerous game worn jerseys, including Malcolm Williams from last year and there’s no way he didn’t tuck.

AngeloV
07-08-2019, 06:22 PM

To me, the jerseys look identical to St Mike’s high school jerseys. I didn’t like the thought of the Cambridge numbers over Oxford jerseys from the vet go as I had a bad feeling it would be hard to read the numbers.

paulwoods13
07-08-2019, 06:40 PM
^

Your right, the right blue is open to interpretation. I prefer the baby blue that we saw in 91-94, 2007 onwards and the last few years here at BMO (what’s currently on the helmets and what looks like the socks). The jerseys and pants stripe look way off and too dark, almost ultramarine blue. It’s so obvious, it bothers me. I’m surprised many others do not notice.

Carter’s jersey hanged past his bottom. Looking at the above photo, it sure looks like every players jersey is tucked in. That’s news to me that they are shorter. I’ve had numerous game worn jerseys, including Malcolm Williams from last year and there’s no way he didn’t tuck.

I think the "Cambridge" Blue used with the 2005-2011 unis was much "bluer" than the greenish version used from 2012 until last season.

As for the jerseys, I may be wrong about every guy not tucking in, but every single time I have looked closely at this, I've seen nothing but jerseys that are cut to fit snugly at the waist without being tucked in. Check out the images on this page from 2016: http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/05/12/cfl-unveils-new-adidas-uniforms-across-league/

Malcolm Williams is not tucked in in this image from last season: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/argonauts-knock-off-eskimos-in-qb-james-franklin-s-first-start-for-toronto-1.4004495

Argo57
07-08-2019, 07:00 PM
The complete uniforms look fine, sometimes very sharp. I’ve decided that overall I don’t like them because they don’t look or feel like the Argonauts I’ve followed my whole life. It feels like 1995 and out of place. The blue numbers are too dark, not the right shade of blue. As for the jersey winner, is it that hard to grab a heat pressed (no they are not stitched) Derek Walker jersey for the guy?

Or MLSE could have just charged the guy the difference between a plain and crested jersey👍

Argo57
07-08-2019, 07:04 PM
I don't know how you are determining what the "right" light blue is. The official team colours are Oxford (dark) and Cambridge (light) blue. Whether the team uses the actual pantones for either colour, who knows? There is little doubt, though, that the "light" blue has had many variations in the uniforms over the years. IMO the jerseys introduced in 2012 had the closest we have seen to the actual Cambridge Blue, which has quite a greenish tinge. But the current "Cambridge Blue," however close it is to the pantone, looks just fine to me. Ideally colours should always match between the helmets, jerseys, pants and socks, but there have been countless examples of teams whose jersey colours do not really match their helmet colours.

As for "Duran" Carter, I agree about the socks. But as for the untucked-in jersey, every single player in the league does not tuck his jersey in. Jerseys haven't been tuckable for years. Some guys just wear them with a sloppier look than others (like Wilder and Carter).

Duron Carter and SpongeBob appear to have identical leg day workouts at the gym👍
Argos have always had the nicest uniforms in pro football IMO until this season, personally I think they look like crap.
1991 uniforms with the new updated Boat Logo on the helmet and slightly wider stripes on the sleeves would do the trick!

paulwoods13
07-08-2019, 07:13 PM

If game jerseys do not have stitched numbers, things must have changed since preseason. I looked at them closely at Varsity and they were stitched. I don't think Argos have had hot-pressed numbers since 2004, and I suspect they were the last CFL team to go to stitched numbers.

ArgoZ
07-08-2019, 07:38 PM
If game jerseys do not have stitched numbers, things must have changed since preseason. I looked at them closely at Varsity and they were stitched. I don't think Argos have had hot-pressed numbers since 2004, and I suspect they were the last CFL team to go to stitched numbers.

Authentic jersey numbers are stitched. I was referring to the replica jerseys for sale which are heat pressed and the blank one awarded to the contest winner last game.

I looked at your picture references. You peaked my interest, so I did some research. I would say 90% players are tucked, certainly at the start of the game. By the end of the half, probably 50%, maybe less since they are so short now. You’ll notice that the ones that aren’t in your references are from live game shots in which the jersey likely came out. Authentic's have the tag just like the replicas do in the bottom corner and that is the giveaway that they are untucked. The Williams picture you provided is an illusion. He’s wearing a hand warmer, or something similar, which looks like an untucked jersey.

I learned that Carter actually had a white undershirt that hanged past his bottom and was not his jersey. Still looked sloppy.

paulwoods13
07-08-2019, 09:02 PM
You peaked my interest, so I did some research. I would say 90% players are tucked, certainly at the start of the game. You’ll notice that the ones that aren’t in your references are from live game shots in which the jersey likely came out. There is different cuts to jerseys and the tight fitting WR ones are noticeably shorter than other years, but they do have the tag just like the replicas do in the bottom corner and that is the giveaway they are untucked. The Williams picture you provided is an illusion. He wearing a hand warmer, or something similar, which looks like an untucked jersey.

We just fundamentally disagree on this, I guess. I'd bet it's closer to 90% that don't tuck their jerseys in. I doubt Williams would be wearing a hand warmer in summer. I think what is visible below his jersey is an undershirt -- if so, that would confirm he didn't tuck. Obviously none of this matters, and clearly we both want players to look good and to have a degree of uniformity in the uniforms.

ArgoGabe22
07-08-2019, 10:14 PM
We just fundamentally disagree on this, I guess. I'd bet it's closer to 90% that don't tuck their jerseys in. I doubt Williams would be wearing a hand warmer in summer. I think what is visible below his jersey is an undershirt -- if so, that would confirm he didn't tuck. Obviously none of this matters, and clearly we both want players to look good and to have a degree of uniformity in the uniforms.

I can barely wear a gameworn jersey on its own. I'm not sure how anyone can tuck it in with pads on. Although kickers seem to have a longer/looser fit.

Tricky Dick
07-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Fascinating how a team whose colours date back to 1873 could so loosely apply them to their uniforms these days. Judging from the Lions-Argos pics, that shade of Cambridge is waaay too strong. Isn't Cambridge Blue a very pale sort of powder blue?

http://www.bluebirdnews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Ox-v-Cam.png

Foxhound
07-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Pressed numbers are an abomination! Jersey numbers are properly stitched, even on replica jerseys! All mine are stitched, each and every one.

Foxhound
07-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Fascinating how a team whose colours date back to 1873 could so loosely apply them to their uniforms these days. Judging from the Lions-Argos pics, that shade of Cambridge is waaay too strong. Isn't Cambridge Blue a very pale sort of powder blue?

While those may be the traditional Oxford and Cambridge blue colours, they look awful - particularly the Cambridge. I'm glad they're no longer used.

:o

paulwoods13
07-09-2019, 02:30 PM

The colour names are reversed, perhaps intentionally? (i.e. Cambridge is actually the light colour, not the dark.) This Cambridge is close to what I think the real pantone looks like -- it's much more of a green than a blue. I think what we are using now looks more attractive, but the greenish Cambridge we used from 2012 to 2018 also looked fine as part of the pants/jerseys striping.

paulwoods13
09-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Oh well, we may be 1-and-9 but at least we finally got contrasting pants and jerseys today, and boat helmets to boot. Too bad we didn't go for the perfect look, tho -- Cambridge socks were all that was needed for that.

timlb01
09-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Oh well, we may be 1-and-9 but at least we finally got contrasting pants and jerseys today, and boat helmets to boot. Too bad we didn't go for the perfect look, tho -- Cambridge socks were all that was needed for that.

I agree with you 100%. Man it was good to see that boat logo. Needs to come back full time.

Foxhound
09-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Oh well, we may be 1-and-9 but at least we finally got contrasting pants and jerseys today, and boat helmets to boot.

Yay for that anyway. Not much else went right.

:sick:

Golden Fleece
09-07-2019, 03:38 PM
I agree with you 100%. Man it was good to see that boat logo. Needs to come back full time.

Surprised to see the boat logo again against Ottawa actually. Thought it might be a throwback for Labour Day only. I'm probably in the minority here but I never liked that helmet logo and probably never will. It bothers me less now because I know how happy it makes a lot of people here.

Argo57
09-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Surprised to see the boat logo again against Ottawa actually. Thought it might be a throwback for Labour Day only. I'm probably in the minority here but I never liked that helmet logo and probably never will. It bothers me less now because I know how happy it makes a lot of people here.

Pretty sure they are keeping it for the month of September.

timlb01
09-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Brilliant uniform again. Please keep this full time. Cannot express how much I love the boat logo.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8