PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Lemon traded to BC

Wobbler
07-24-2018, 12:10 AM
According to Dunk, we've traded Shawn Lemon to BC (http://3downnation.com/2018/07/24/argos-trade-dl-shawn-lemon-lions/).

Details to follow.

Stevoman
07-24-2018, 01:17 AM
What????? So we can get even less pressure from the defensive line?

R.J
07-24-2018, 02:33 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shawn Lemon traded from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a> to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BCLions?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BCLions</a> for a neg list player. <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CFLonTSN</a>. <a href="https://t.co/u5fvBTQN8W">https://t.co/u5fvBTQN8W</a></p>&mdash; Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1021619709026787328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jerrym
07-24-2018, 04:34 AM
What????? So we can get even less pressure from the defensive line?

It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Neely2005
07-24-2018, 06:59 AM
So we trade one of our best players for a player that's not even currently under contract??? This season is going downhill fast!

mchesher03
07-24-2018, 07:37 AM
Purely my own assumption and speculation but there’s gotta be something to this with Lemon and the team. Otherwise I don’t get it either to be honest, although it sounds like Lemon’s burned some bridges before in his time in the league.

Argo57
07-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Similar to Chesher’s comments above Lemon strikes me as a very outspoken person and player which you can put up with when he and the team are rolling along nicely such as 2017, fast forward to 2018 and the team is off to a horrendous start in all phases especially the D under new DC Archer which could lead to a bad locker room.
Lemon does have a history of friction with coaches and management.
D body language on the field hasn't Been good at all.
Shades of the release of the “Big 3” a couple of seasons ago, Trestman and Popp maybe trying to quell a locker room revolt perhaps?
Just my guess.

Will
07-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Lemon wasn't producing this season, but then again nobody else was--mchesher03's theory is plausible, but I also think Archer has been a horrible choice as DC.

Ron
07-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Lemon has lived up to his name so no biggie.

doubleblue
07-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Purely my own assumption and speculation but there’s gotta be something to this with Lemon and the team. Otherwise I don’t get it either to be honest, although it sounds like Lemon’s burned some bridges before in his time in the league.

Didn't Lemon take a bad penalty last game. I remember seeing Trestman speaking to him coming off the field and Lemon was barking right back at him. Maybe just pleading his innocence, but you don't show up your Coach. That along with his ordinary play may have been the reason for his departure.

gilthethrill
07-24-2018, 09:40 AM
I guess newly acquired Eric Striker will get more playing time along with Justin Tuggle moving back to DE. I would gather Evan Foster will remain on the PR.

doubleblue
07-24-2018, 09:43 AM
I guess newly acquired Eric Striker will get more playing time along with Justin Tuggle moving back to DE. I would gather Evan Foster will remain on the PR.

Or give Wynn a shot there. Laing, Bishop and Gaydosh at DT.

Treblecharger1
07-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Doesn't Beltre play his position? Pretty sure he must be ready to go.

AngeloV
07-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Or give Wynn a shot there. Laing, Bishop and Gaydosh at DT.

I have been wanting Wynn to go to end since the beginning of the season. They are strong at DT, so to me, it would make sense.

Stevoman
07-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Well, I do think the Argos have some depth at Dline but this trade still makes little sense. I am not in the locker room or sideline but Lemon has represented the Argos very well when no one else really did. I'll always remember fondly how he was confidently tweeting during free agency that players should stop avoiding Toronto because they were going to do something special in '17.

I really hope that management isn't starting to panic. It is a long season and the Argos are in their worst stretch while also playing with lots of injuries. If they can win this week, they will be 2-4 through the first third of the season with a better schedule coming. Tinker, but stay the course. I'd argue that coaching/scheme adjustments are needed more than personnel adjustments (except at placekicking!).

Man, 2017 is starting to feel like a dream.

macspectrum
07-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Didn't Lemon take a bad penalty last game. I remember seeing Trestman speaking to him coming off the field and Lemon was barking right back at him. Maybe just pleading his innocence, but you don't show up your Coach. That along with his ordinary play may have been the reason for his departure.

having trestman put together wins would quell any uprising
as al davis was fond of saying; "just win baby!"

macspectrum
07-24-2018, 01:41 PM

bet a few wins would really show up trestsman [dripping with sarcasm]

Shatto
07-24-2018, 06:20 PM
I haven't always agreed with Trestman's moves or decisions but one has to recognize that he is far more knowledgeable at the game than an ordinary fan such as myself. Having talked to Trestman on a couple of occasions, I have been impressed with his calmness and intelligence. He seems to be a very principled individual and he lets his players know what he demands of them by way of performance, effort and behaviour. It is likely something happened in the last category and the coach is not one to put up with unacceptable behaviour either on the field or of. We will probably never know the details but I'm confident that Trestman made the move in the best interest of the team.

lazycro
07-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Doesn't Beltre play his position? Pretty sure he must be ready to go.

Beltre has been activated

argolio
07-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Y'all wanted some moves. Can't complain now that you got one.

Wobbler
07-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Right... I'm sure this is what people were asking for, argolio!

macspectrum
07-25-2018, 12:06 AM
Right... I'm sure this is what people were asking for, argolio!

and here i was thinking fans wanted wins

argolio
07-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Right... I'm sure this is what people were asking for, argolio!Careful what you wish for.

jerrym
07-26-2018, 12:21 AM
Here's Lemon's Instagram to Toronto:

To Toronto
The fans, the city - Thank you.
You embraced when no one else did.
I found a home here and will forever love this city.

When everyone else counted us out in 2017, we did it. Grey Cup champs.

To my teammates, I love you.
I enjoyed every moment of this ride and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Thank you to management and coaches.
The front office and support staff.

My goal when I got to Toronto was to leave this place better than I found it, and I honestly feel that I did.

Thank you and see you on the other side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnKkPKhFMZ/?hl=en&taken-by=thelemonator

(https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnKkPKhFMZ/?hl=en&taken-by=thelemonator)

RB957
07-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Here's Lemon's Instagram to Toronto:

To Toronto
The fans, the city - Thank you.
You embraced when no one else did.
I found a home here and will forever love this city.

When everyone else counted us out in 2017, we did it. Grey Cup champs.

To my teammates, I love you.
I enjoyed every moment of this ride and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Thank you to management and coaches.
The front office and support staff.

My goal when I got to Toronto was to leave this place better than I found it, and I honestly feel that I did.

Thank you and see you on the other side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnKkPKhFMZ/?hl=en&taken-by=thelemonator

(https://www.instagram.com/p/BlnKkPKhFMZ/?hl=en&taken-by=thelemonator)

Very classy... this message and attitude is consistent with what my son observed when he bumped into Lemon at a grocery store on King St. west. When my son approached Lemon to say hello as an Argo fan, Lemon was taken aback that he was recognized and was very gracious and stood and talked to my son for about 20 minutes. Even introduced him as a big fan to his wife . So I don't know how much there is to the suggestions of an attitude or problems in the locker room, but he was a great ambassador in public for the team. (Remember when he would even answer phones in the Argos office). He was not having as impactful a season on the field as I would have liked to have seen, so I can understand the move from a football sense if they feel there is someone better. But I for one will miss him.

AngeloV
07-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Very classy... this message and attitude is consistent with what my son observed when he bumped into Lemon at a grocery store on King St. west. When my son approached Lemon to say hello as an Argo fan, Lemon was taken aback that he was recognized and was very gracious and stood and talked to my son for about 20 minutes. Even introduced him as a big fan to his wife . So I don't know how much there is to the suggestions of an attitude or problems in the locker room, but he was a great ambassador in public for the team. (Remember when he would even answer phones in the Argos office). He was not having as impactful a season on the field as I would have liked to have seen, so I can understand the move from a football sense if they feel there is someone better. But I for one will miss him.

Lemon is a great dude. I honestly think the only reason for this move was that they weren't happy with the production they were getting. I guess you can't trade or release 7 or 8 guys, so I'm guessing they are trying to send a message by releasing a high profile guy. Sure hope it works. Sorry to see him go.

macspectrum
07-26-2018, 11:27 AM
wasn't lemon caught yelling at trestman on the sidelines of the winnipeg game ?

AngeloV
07-26-2018, 11:40 AM
wasn't lemon caught yelling at trestman on the sidelines of the winnipeg game ?

You'd have to ask Trestman about that. Players yell on the sidelines all the time. I really doubt that was the reason he was dealt. 1 sack in 5 games, and not a lot of pressures had more to do with it IMO. Argos at this point really missing Cory Chamblin.

Argo57
07-26-2018, 01:33 PM
You'd have to ask Trestman about that. Players yell on the sidelines all the time. I really doubt that was the reason he was dealt. 1 sack in 5 games, and not a lot of pressures had more to do with it IMO. Argos at this point really missing Cory Chamblin.

Chamblin was the biggest loss of this past off season, major downgrade with Archer as DC.

Will
07-26-2018, 01:37 PM
The reasons why Lemon was traded to the Argos in 2016 were documented before the trade was made if memory serves. People are also trying to rationalize the move and that is likely the theory they are gravitating towards. I agree that Lemon was nothing but a great person off the field during his time in Toronto.

I'm frustrated though because I still think the scheme/coaching is holding back these players more than anything else right now.

paulwoods13
07-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Shawn is a great guy, as many of us can attest. We'll likely never know why he was traded but clearly we need better production from all of our d linemen. Hopefully this move will pay off.

Argo57
07-26-2018, 01:44 PM
The reasons why Lemon was traded to the Argos in 2016 were documented before the trade was made if memory serves. People are also trying to rationalize the move and that is likely the theory they are gravitating towards. I agree that Lemon was nothing but a great person off the field during his time in Toronto.

I'm frustrated though because I still think the scheme/coaching is holding back these players more than anything else right now.

The defensive players body language on the field suggests they are frustrated as well.
This defence is reminiscent of Stubler’s disastrous 2016 version even though the talent level in 2018 is vastly superior.
Archer is a complete stiff as DC IMO.

PullTogether73
07-26-2018, 04:01 PM
As mentioned by many above, Archer appears to be the biggest problem with the defence.
I really thought that the personnel had been upgraded over last year, so that only leaves the DC imo.

As for Lemon - a player to be named later doesn't inspire confidence that the Argos are filling a need, but rather just getting rid of a problem/underachiever/overpaid player.
I liked him on the field and think he would still be here under another DC, unless the issue had nothing to do with on field performance.

macspectrum
07-26-2018, 06:45 PM
The defensive players body language on the field suggests they are frustrated as well.
This defence is reminiscent of Stubler’s disastrous 2016 version even though the talent level in 2018 is vastly superior.
Archer is a complete stiff as DC IMO.

archer is a complete dud
argos need to be aggressive on d
man2man [w/ all those ball hawks] and blitzes, lots of blitzes
get pressure on qb

argolio
07-26-2018, 11:58 PM
Not sure how often, but we blitzed last week. They beat it every time.

Jon Gonzo
07-27-2018, 09:30 AM
I doubt that Shawn Lemon was grading any poorer than any other members of the Defense, but he was well paid and the Coaches have higher expectations.

Lemon wasn't standing out, but again not many have.

I am not happy with the tempo so far this season. They seem to have reverted to a Stubler defense, that spends too much time on the field and doesn't take some necessary (aggressive) chances.

They are making all the other offenses look like they can run ball control on them, at will.

I heard that the dressing room was hot after the loss to the Bombers, and we're not privy to what goes on in there, so I'll defer to Trestman and Popp on this one; however, I doubt this team was made any better by this move.

A shot across the bow was necessary, and can work if there is someone there who can fill the breach. It may work for the better.

The Argo evaluators must be high on Striker and Beltre as solid options there. Again, I'll sit back and watch, but this could become a potential point of contention if this group doesn't stop missing tackles and continues to get bullied on the line(s), and we don't see some better football all around.

Argo
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM
I doubt that Shawn Lemon was grading any poorer than any other members of the Defense, but he was well paid and the Coaches have higher expectations.

Lemon wasn't standing out, but again not many have.

I am not happy with the tempo so far this season. They seem to have reverted to a Stubler defense, that spends too much time on the field and doesn't take some necessary (aggressive) chances.

They are making all the other offenses look like they can run ball control on them, at will.

I heard that the dressing room was hot after the loss to the Bombers, and we're not privy to what goes on in there, so I'll defer to Trestman and Popp on this one; however, I doubt this team was made any better by this move.

A shot across the bow was necessary, and can work if there is someone there who can fill the breach. It may work for the better.

The Argo evaluators must be high on Striker and Beltre as solid options there. Again, I'll sit back and watch, but this could become a potential point of contention if this group doesn't stop missing tackles and continues to get bullied on the line(s), and we don't see some better football all around.

At this point, I'd rather have seen the DC dumped than Lemon. Why (help) pour an entire season down the drain (if) it's already evident that the current DC is in over his head? Any replacement from within or without very likely couldn't do worse and may well do better.

gilthethrill
07-27-2018, 12:13 PM
At this point, I'd rather have seen the DC dumped than Lemon. Why (help) pour an entire season down the drain (if) it's already evident that the current DC is in over his head? Any replacement from within or without very likely couldn't do worse and may well do better.

Who would you hire to replace Archer....especially on a short week?

ArgoRavi
07-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Kirk Penton's column in The Athletic mentioned the neg list player whom the Argos received from B.C. - Ryan Delaire - who has had some sack production in the NFL and seems like an intriguing prospect. The Argos just need to get him up here.

lazycro
07-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Who would you hire to replace Archer....especially on a short week?

maybe we can trade Archer to Sask.

He could play DB.

argolio
07-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Kirk Penton's column in The Athletic mentioned the neg list player whom the Argos received from B.C. - Ryan Delaire - who has had some sack production in the NFL and seems like an intriguing prospect. The Argos just need to get him up here.Looked at his bio. He went to Windsor High School.

I can just imagine Rod Black: He went to Windsor High.....not in Ontario, but Connecticut!

macspectrum
07-27-2018, 04:48 PM

bravo ! great post !

macspectrum
07-27-2018, 04:49 PM
maybe we can trade Archer to Sask.

He could play DB.
lol !

Will
07-27-2018, 10:59 PM
If they were hoping for a spark from this...

Argocister
08-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Wasn't Lemon the one that didn't want to come to TO .....because of some business he had out west? .....then after talking with Pinball he was a born again Argo
Would be nice for Popp to get the guy he wants though

1971GreyCup
08-05-2018, 03:46 PM
A person that will forget more about this game than I will ever know, commented Shawn Lemon “refused to fill his gap and play the run. It was so obvious in Winnipeg that the Argos brain trust made the trade shortly after the game. Interestingly, we were chatting with Justin Herdman’s (and Jorden’s) dad James Reed at the Winnipeg game. He made a similar observation, but made it prior to that game.

ArgoGabe22
08-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Wasn't Lemon the one that didn't want to come to TO .....because of some business he had out west? .....then after talking with Pinball he was a born again Argo
Would be nice for Popp to get the guy he wants though

Khalif Mitchell?

gilthethrill
08-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Khalif Mitchell?

Perhaps Cleon Lange?

ArgoGabe22
08-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Perhaps Cleon Lange?

Its Mitchell, now confirmed ---> https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/khalif-mitchell-chooses-business-over-argos/

jerrym
08-06-2018, 02:52 AM
Khalif always marched to his own drum, turning down a multi-year NFL contract worth approximately $100,000 in guaranteed money while with the Lions in 2012, claiming he had business in the West that made going to Toronto impossible and then going to Toronto, posting a Holocaust denial video and then saying he believes there was a Holocaust, providing a homeless man he bumped into during Grey Cup week in 2011 with a new set of clothes, a hotel room and a ticket to the game, making a throat slashing gesture against Edmonton, and a practicing evangelical Christian whom teammate Andrew Harris called a "con man" and who said "good riddance" when Mitchell was traded to the Argos.

Argocister
08-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanx for the correction to Mitchell from Lemon.... knew I could count on you guys ;)

Will
08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
In this article (http://3downnation.com/2018/08/07/forget-johnny-trade-montreal-made/) Justin Dunk mentioned the following:

Toronto traded Shawn Lemon to B.C. believing they’d come to terms with former Stampeder rush end Freddie Bishop. Bishop then signed an NFL contract with Detroit, leaving yet another hole on Toronto’s defensive line.

Surely Popp didn't count his chickens before they hatched?

Stevoman
08-08-2018, 11:15 AM
In this article (http://3downnation.com/2018/08/07/forget-johnny-trade-montreal-made/) Justin Dunk mentioned the following:

Surely Popp didn't count his chickens before they hatched?

Yeah, sounds like he should've waited.

jerrym
09-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Shawn Lemon has had four sacks in his last three games. Oh, how we could use anyone like that!

Neely2005
09-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Never liked or understood this trade.

R.J
09-09-2018, 09:43 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I wonder if Lemon is watching his old team the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a> get zero pressure against the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ticats?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ticats</a>? <a href="https://t.co/kbpse5Ifp8">https://t.co/kbpse5Ifp8</a></p>&mdash; Drew Edwards (@scratchingpost) <a href="https://twitter.com/scratchingpost/status/1038484487255089152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 8, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoRavi
09-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Lemon didn't produce in Toronto earlier this season. He has tended to wear out his welcome with every team he has been and perhaps his time was simply up in Toronto. We can whine about Lemon's absence all we want to right now but the bottom line is that the Argos have to find some defensive linemen who can rush the passer. This was a team a year ago with 50 sacks and at the top of the league and that wasn't all just Lemon and Victor Butler. Most of the other linemen they currently have were around last season and the production has simply not been the same.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8