PDA

View Full Version : GAME THREAD / Week 8 / Ottawa @ Tornoto

cfl-cis fan
07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Let's get it started. Do we get a win !!

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 08:24 AM
is archer still calling d plays ? loss is immanent

mchesher03
07-31-2018, 08:57 AM
is "Tornoto" a bad omen for what lies ahead? lol.

We'll see how BT does.

Same for the offence and defence. not much to add!

cfl-cis fan
07-31-2018, 10:57 AM
is "Tornoto" a bad omen for what lies ahead? lol.

We'll see how BT does.

Same for the offence and defence. not much to add!

sorry about the typo.

Argo
07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Let's get it started. Do we get a win !!

No, we do not get a win.

R.J
07-31-2018, 11:33 AM
Argo loss by at least 20 points.

gilthethrill
07-31-2018, 11:36 AM
I thought Archer did a good job last game with shutting down the Bomber run game. Cut down the mistakes on offence, tackle a bit better on defence and the Argos should defeat Ottawa.

AngeloV
07-31-2018, 11:39 AM
I thought Archer did a good job last game with shutting down the Bomber run game. Cut down the mistakes on offence, tackle a bit better on defence and the Argos should defeat Ottawa.

Defence was not the problem last game. 7 turnovers, and a gift TD on 2 absolutely brutal roughing calls did the trick.

gilthethrill
07-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Defence was not the problem last game. 7 turnovers, and a gift TD on 2 absolutely brutal roughing calls did the trick.

I watched the first Winnipeg TD drive on YouTube this morning (power outage in Stratford just before Friday's game)...I don't beat up on the refs, but those were really really costly and calls that were not warranted. Look for Harris to break under the pressure of completing against his old UFL teammate MBT Thursday night.

And how did Martese Jackson not get credit for a rushing TD late in the game?????

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 12:26 PM

he called a horrible game , where was pass rush, how about blitzes, more man2man covg - let marcus ball call the pays whilst on the field !

gilthethrill
07-31-2018, 12:28 PM
he called a horrible game , where was pass rush, how about blitzes, more man2man covg - let marcus ball call the pays whilst on the field !

Archer is not on the field playing on the defensive line. Argos do blitz...but it always seems to get picked up. How did Andrew Harris do on the ground?

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 12:41 PM
Archer is not on the field playing on the defensive line. Argos do blitz...but it always seems to get picked up. How did Andrew Harris do on the ground?

how many pts did argos give up ?
stoppin harris at the expense of giving up 40+ pts in a lopsided loss is considered 'success" ?
in my world a 'win' can be considered as 'team success' [not a lopsided loss]

gilthethrill
07-31-2018, 01:04 PM
how many pts did argos give up ?
stoppin harris at the expense of giving up 40+ pts in a lopsided loss is considered 'success" ?
in my world a 'win' can be considered as 'team success' [not a lopsided loss]

I don't blame the defence for the blocked punt....penalty aided 1st drive hurt....26 points?

Neely2005
07-31-2018, 01:14 PM
I think we win this one.

OV Argo
07-31-2018, 01:17 PM
I think we win this one.

Sorry, but i'd bet on Ottawa here; unless the Argo defence makes big changes, + Bethel-Thompson has a good game - and i wouldn't count on either of those happening.

ArgoRavi
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM

I agree, gil. Archer made good adjustments last week. There were a lot of reasons for that loss but I really don't think Archer was one of them.

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 04:43 PM
I don't blame the defence for the blocked punt....penalty aided 1st drive hurt....26 points?

how did that 'peg guy come up the middle without being touched ? the blocked was blocked be fore was able to even get a foot on it!
eiben needs to provide an answer and a good answer or 2
that is 7 easy points for 'peg
---
as for penalties being called - dont get me started - refs are far too 'flag happy' especially calling defensive pass interference - and i think it would help to have 2 more officials in defensive backfield as cdn field is so much bigger

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 04:48 PM
I agree, gil. Archer made good adjustments last week. There were a lot of reasons for that loss but I really don't think Archer was one of them.

archer had 2 games in a row against the exact same team
lopsided scores do not bode well for him - or maybe lopsided score is the norm now
archer wasnt good
again let marcus ball [one of the few guy to play hard] call defenses on the field - let archer watch
more blitzes and more man2man defence
be aggressive !
allowing 40 pts each game is NOT acceptable
coach eiben what is your answer to that punt block ?

lazycro
07-31-2018, 07:11 PM
Glad I paid in advance for an extra ticket only to get that promo email for 50% off

Jon Gonzo
07-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Sorry, but i'd bet on Ottawa here; unless the Argo defence makes big changes, + Bethel-Thompson has a good game - and i wouldn't count on either of those happening.

The Argos take this one. It should be tight, but this a trap game for Ottawa and for betters

Joe Barnes
07-31-2018, 10:46 PM
The Argos take this one. It should be tight, but this a trap game for Ottawa and for betters

I agree, this is a trap for Ottawa. They didn't play well and beat Hamilton and Argos have played worse than the Ticats, so far. They may be a little cocky...Plus, this offence is built around Ricky Ray and MBT is much more Ray-like than Franklin, so, sure...Argos in an upset by a field goal (yes, that's right!)!

PullTogether73
07-31-2018, 11:01 PM

Agreed.
Argos are in prove it to me mode now before I pick them to win again.

PullTogether73
07-31-2018, 11:02 PM

"for betters"?

What?

macspectrum
07-31-2018, 11:10 PM
"for betters"?

What?

i think he meant; 'those who bet'

PullTogether73
08-01-2018, 12:12 AM

Ah!
Thanks for clarifying.
The incorrect spelling confused me. (Bettors, not betters.)

Jon Gonzo
08-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Wow, congratulations folks! If you'd like to pick up your stickers and Flintstone stamps, please see the internet spelling teacher after class.

AngeloV
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Depth chart is out. Still now Woods, or Coombs, and with a short week only 2 practices, no other changes than at QB, K and corner.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Full Depth ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/cx6ZcN8Jkm">pic.twitter.com/cx6ZcN8Jkm</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1024656177056165888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PullTogether73
08-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Wow, congratulations folks! If you'd like to pick up your stickers and Flintstone stamps, please see the internet spelling teacher after class.

Bitching about your message not being understandable because you spelled a key word incorrectly only compounds the issue.

Jon Gonzo
08-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Bitching about your message not being understandable because you spelled a key word incorrectly only compounds the issue.

You wanna talk football, or do you want to helicopter sports forums as a spelling cop? If the difference between 'better' and 'bettor' in that context knocks your comprehension off that bad, then you may be too easily distracted. Keep in mind, many of us are busy people who try to contribute by using smart phones. Unless you'd like to talk Argo football all by yourself? Back to football please.

Jon Gonzo
08-01-2018, 11:55 AM
pretty much trotting out the same old lineup. If that's the answer? White in Burks out. Washington in at CB, Yell to HB, and Bomben backing up a pretty dinged up B.Washington at Guard. I thought that move was made for ratio purposes? To me this speaks to concern over line depth. Not a good sign for our previous regime's high draft picks on the OL. Man, we passed some good one's up over the past couple of drafts. That's a concern to me.

PullTogether73
08-01-2018, 12:09 PM
You wanna talk football, or do you want to helicopter sports forums as a spelling cop? If the difference between 'better' and 'bettor' in that context knocks your comprehension off that bad, then you may be too easily distracted. Keep in mind, many of us are busy people who try to contribute by using smart phones. Unless you'd like to talk Argo football all by yourself? Back to football please.

I AM here to talk Argonauts football.

If you write something that makes no sense, I am going to ask what you were trying to say so I truly understand it rather than relying on guessing.
Maybe it was something valuable which I could not deduce from the spelling/grammar.

Back to football talk.

Wobbler
08-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Bitching about your message not being understandable because you spelled a key word incorrectly only compounds the issue.You're being deliberately obtuse, PullTogether.

Stop it.

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 12:40 PM
pretty much trotting out the same old lineup. If that's the answer? White in Burks out. Washington in at CB, Yell to HB, and Bomben backing up a pretty dinged up B.Washington at Guard. I thought that move was made for ratio purposes? To me this speaks to concern over line depth. Not a good sign for our previous regime's high draft picks on the OL. Man, we passed some good one's up over the past couple of drafts. That's a concern to me.

"we passed some good one's"

resisting urge to comment on improper use of possessive tense
...lol

PullTogether73
08-01-2018, 12:50 PM
You're being deliberately obtuse, PullTogether.

Stop it.

I STRONGLY disagree.

The word in the original post made no sense.
I asked what it meant.
I thanked the person who responded with an explanation and explained why I didn't understand the original post.
The original poster took offense and mocked me.
If anyone is being obtuse, it is the original poster.

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 03:02 PM
I STRONGLY disagree.

The word in the original post made no sense.
I asked what it meant.
I thanked the person who responded with an explanation and explained why I didn't understand the original post.
The original poster took offense and mocked me.
If anyone is being obtuse, it is the original poster.

sshhhhhh he expects u to be clairvoyant
lol

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 03:05 PM
is BT right handed ?
if so 38 needs to run from left to right across middle, 6-7 yd pass and then turn it upfield
32 needs to block for QB's blind side so he doesn't get hurt - once in a while he can release into flat
gotta protect pocket esp for a pocket passer like BT
he's supposed have a canon for an arm - give him a chance - let's see it
i dont argos have real deep threats w/ speed
19 is sure handed, maybe he can be found in middle circa 15-18yd

Jon Gonzo
08-01-2018, 03:30 PM
is BT right handed ?
if so 38 needs to run from left to right across middle, 6-7 yd pass and then turn it upfield
32 needs to block for QB's blind side so he doesn't get hurt - once in a while he can release into flat
gotta protect pocket esp for a pocket passer like BT
he's supposed have a canon for an arm - give him a chance - let's see it
i dont argos have real deep threats w/ speed
19 is sure handed, maybe he can be found in middle circa 15-18yd

This is the guy who just called me stupid for punctuation? haha. Priceless. Man, I've not read one post from you that has ever made any sense.

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 03:35 PM
This is the guy who just called me stupid for punctuation? haha. Priceless. Man, I've not read one post from you that has ever made any sense.

1. where did i the word stupid ? perhaps u can enlighten me
2. 'I've not read one post from you that has ever made any sense.'
really ? not even one ? i told u a million times to not exaggerate .... lol

Jon Gonzo
08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Repost what you just edited. It's all there. If you want to play games instead of talk football, go do it with someone else. I have absolutely no time for you. *yawn*

lazycro
08-01-2018, 03:47 PM
This seems like it has a lot to do with football

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 04:13 PM
This seems like it has a lot to do with football

he's a great eg. of happens when one gets CTE

Argofan_1000
08-01-2018, 05:39 PM
To the players for this game please catch the ball when thrown to you, no dumb penalties, kick the ball through the uprights just in case the kicker has forgotten

R.J
08-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Ottawa defence is night and day from last years - Noel Thorpe is easily the best free agent signing the past off season.
Elizondo runs the Trestman offence, so depending on which Harris shows up tomorrow night - it could be a long boring night for myself and some other Argo fans.

argolio
08-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Calm down, children.

RB957
08-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Ottawa defence is night and day from last years - Noel Thorpe is easily the best free agent signing the past off season.
Elizondo runs the Trestman offence, so depending on which Harris shows up tomorrow night - it could be a long boring night for myself and some other Argo fans.

Agree. Redblacks had 7 chances to score last week against Hamilton and only came away with field goals. If they even convert half of those, we could be in real big trouble.

R.J
08-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Agree. Redblacks had 7 chances to score last week against Hamilton and only came away with field goals. If they even convert half of those, we could be in real big trouble.
Considering how soft are D is, maybe Harris "wakes up" the Redblacks O ?

Argo57
08-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Considering how soft are D is, maybe Harris "wakes up" the Redblacks O ?

Unfortunately if they throw Kanneh’s way they will have success.

jerrym
08-01-2018, 09:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Full Depth ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/cx6ZcN8Jkm">pic.twitter.com/cx6ZcN8Jkm</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/1024656177056165888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jerrym
08-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Here's the Ottawa RedBlacks depth chart:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2018/08/OTTatTOR_Aug2_Roster_FINAL.pdf

macspectrum
08-01-2018, 09:47 PM
To the players for this game please catch the ball when thrown to you, no dumb penalties, kick the ball through the uprights just in case the kicker has forgotten

skip fg from 45 - 25 yd out
from 40 yd out, just punt [how about a fake punt ?] and pin 'em deep - help defence out
inside 40 - choose plays w/ 3 dwns in mind

BE CREATIVE
and ONE drop means u did NOT have a good game

Will
08-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately if the throw Kanneh’s way they will have success.

I don't understand why he is still in the lineup.

Argo57
08-01-2018, 10:20 PM
I don't understand why he is still in the lineup.

He is a disaster out there TBH, guaranteed Ottawa will test him early and often.
Personally I’d like to see one of the younger DB’s take his spot, can’t be any worse than him.

ArgofanIan
08-02-2018, 02:56 PM
going to the game now.... Hoping for a close battle and an ARGO victory... Lets Go ARRRGOS !!!!!

jerrym
08-02-2018, 03:04 PM
I hope I am wrong about B-T and he has a great game.

Joe Barnes
08-02-2018, 03:38 PM
I hope I am wrong about B-T and he has a great game.

I hope you are right about being wrong and MBT and the team come up with a big one tonight!

lazycro
08-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Seeing very few tickets on stubhub/tm combined, hope a good turnout!

jerrym
08-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Argo defence still not putting any pressure on QB and poor DB coverage combine to 8-0 RedBlack lead.

jerrym
08-02-2018, 07:25 PM
B-T 1 for 3 and an interception. I have a bad feeling.

argotom
08-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Another horrible start tonight in front of family and friends.
Our pass coverage is horrid and the offense is offensive as so far B-T has made no difference.

argotom
08-02-2018, 07:47 PM
After 1st quarter stats are 187yds vs 39yds, that's all we need to know.

jerrym
08-02-2018, 07:50 PM
After 1st quarter stats are 187yds vs 39yds, that's all we need to know.

At least they were able to score when Martese put the ball near the goal-line, but you are right, the Argo D has been terrible.

argotom
08-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Why are their receivers so wide open? I don't get it, basic school yard coverage folks.

argotom
08-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Wow another Jackson blunder costs us 7.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Why are their receivers so wide open? I don't get it, basic school yard coverage folks.

zone defence being called by archer
also martese jackson should be benched for letting ottawa score a td on that punt by his horrible mishandling of the ball
players need to learn about repercussions for their actions
trestman NEEDS to be creative

2nd dwn 10 td, 5 yd pass attempt .... typical trestman ... he needs to learn
.oh my was that man2man defence on deep pass attempt by ottawa
still no blitzing by argos
harris has a long time to throw - his stats show i.
tirnover on dwns, 2 tries , sort ydage, and 32 up the middle twice ? boooo trestman
trestman is helping argos lose this game
why isnt jackson on the bench ?
4th turnover in 1st 1/2 - trestman needs to be ashamed
can argos just cry uncle and give up ? soon to be 1-6
can they just forfeit the game ?
let clock run out 1st 1/2 ?
trestman looks very bad ?
more and more i believe gc win last yr was a fluke
pocket passer doesnt work in cfl but maybe trestman likes being 1-5 soon 1-6
does archer even know what the word 'blitz' means ?
all these ideas on how to increase attendance yet 'winning' a few games doesn't seem to be one of them
esp. after they won gc last yr
oh right, mlse will fix all like leafs winning cup soon

jerrym
08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
A big break goes against Argos on Jackson's fumble and Ottawa recovery, but considering the way the rest of the game was going the Argos were very lucky to be behind 14-7 before the Ottawa TD. You can't live on luck indefinitely.

Argo
08-02-2018, 08:15 PM
This season could well end up being one of the worst seasons in Argonauts history. Nary a good vibration out there.

argotom
08-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Again I don't get it, the unbelievable and no imagination for the 2nd and especially 3rd and short, everything up the middle?
Where are the swings, the counters, crossers, screens?
Where is the OC.

argos1873
08-02-2018, 08:27 PM
What a horrible football team.

R.J
08-02-2018, 08:27 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/bKBM7H63PIykM/giphy.gif

Round of applause for Marc Trestman and McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson.

R.J
08-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Again I don't get it, the unbelievable and no imagination for the 2nd and especially 3rd and short, everything up the middle?
Where is the OC.
Trestman's on the sideline - I don't think Trestman even knows what imaginative is.

Yeah, Trestman's lost me as a fan.

argotom
08-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Then you add bad clock management.

R.J
08-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Then you add bad clock management.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/NJZMSqRY3rG9i/giphy.gif

I'm glad I didn't bother showing up to this game. Good luck to the team trying to get to to attend another.

OV Argo
08-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Yeah - no $hite - they look like an expansion team; and yet they had the chance to make some changes to the line-up but continue to trot out a lot of mediocre players.

Time for BIG changes there - and that should include the coaching staff being reviewed, up & down.

jerrym
08-02-2018, 08:39 PM
The DL is rarely able to put pressure on the QB, the OL can't create even small holes on short yardage plays, opposition receivers are almost continuously wide open, Wilder needs time to get going and therefore is repeatedly halted, the QB cannot throw long with any accuracy, and Jackson and Noel both make mental errors costing points. What one expects from what will soon be 1-6 team.

argotom
08-02-2018, 08:40 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/NJZMSqRY3rG9i/giphy.gif

I'm glad I didn't bother showing up to this game. Good luck to the team trying to get to to attend another.

Me too, I couldn't make it. Good call.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Where is the OC.

exactly no imagination .... i use the word 'creativity'
defn of insanity is repeating same action expecting a different result

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 08:44 PM
What is this???? Oh my....a concert on the pitch!!!!

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Yeah - no $hite - they look like an expansion team; and yet they had the chance to make some changes to the line-up but continue to trot out a lot of mediocre players.

Time for BIG changes there - and that should include the coaching staff being reviewed, up & down.

archer, def coach doesn't understand meaning of the word 'blitz'
defence and offence both very conservative
and martese jackson needs to be benched for a bit

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Trestman's on the sideline - I don't think Trestman even knows what imaginative is.

Yeah, Trestman's lost me as a fan.

i really think trestman is ill

jerrym
08-02-2018, 08:48 PM
I don't need to see the rest of the game to know the best performance by someone wearing an Argo uniform - Kardinal Offishall and I don't like his style of music.

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 08:56 PM
SJ Green fell down on the horrible turf!

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:56 PM
oh look BT rolled and wide open receiver and TD !

argotom
08-02-2018, 08:57 PM
B-T just throw a nice TD pass, so there is hope.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 08:58 PM
SJ Green fell down on the horrible turf!

tell me again how horrible skydome was ?

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:00 PM
We have to get the QB to roll out of the pocket instead of being a pylon drop back passer.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:02 PM
i can live with an ottawa play on 1st if argos can get pressure on harris
gotta blitz
gotta get pressure on harris
keep putting pressure on harris

jerrym
08-02-2018, 09:02 PM
First time the Argos appeared professional on the TD drive.

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:04 PM
i can live with an ottawa play on 1st if argos can get pressure on harris
gotta blitz
gotta get pressure on harris

It doesn't really matter since the back end can't cover anyone.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:06 PM
It doesn't really matter since the back end can't cover anyone.

too much zone defence called by archer ..... way too much
unless he likes losing

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 09:08 PM
tell me again how horrible skydome was ?

The worst stadium ever. I doubt I will ever have reason to set foot in that place....btw.....joking about Green falling....give it a rest please about how you hate BMO....

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:10 PM
has macspectrum even attended a game at BMO Field ?

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:12 PM
has macspectrum even attended a game at BMO Field ?

i have attended games at exhibition place, skydome and bmo field
did u watch the links i posted here re skydome games on yotube ?

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:17 PM
levi noel should have caugt that ball - bad cdn boand now punt return for td
so
penalty by argo off lineman who jumped on 2nd and short
incomplete pass to noel
now punt return for td for ottawa
all because a guy jumoed offside
why isnt he traded ? why did lenon get traded for nothing and argo d line looks worse since he left

argos1873
08-02-2018, 09:19 PM
What is this???? Oh my....a concert on the pitch!!!!

Hahaha.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:19 PM
fire eiben and fire archer
trestman needs to be behind a desk
so rolling bt worked, but next play put him in poccket
ineman jumps, sj green offside on 2 pt convert
all on offensive coach shoulders - poor coaching

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Thompson seems to only know how to run one play and throw.

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Argos offence being helped immensely by the Redblacks prevent D. Garbage time QB and team.

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:24 PM
The worst stadium ever. I doubt I will ever have reason to set foot in that place....btw.....joking about Green falling....give it a rest please about how you hate BMO....

Agree with you, there is no reason now so I will never go back there.

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Agree with you, there is no reason now so I will never go back there.

CNE stadium AT....What memories in our youth....😀

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Hold on a second, B-T looking good in the 3rd and early now in the 4th. It's not over?

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:35 PM
CNE stadium AT....What memories in our youth....
Yes gil, it was a dump but what memories you say.
That bandstand.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:37 PM
why do argos even bother kicking pat ?
just go for 2 each time
kicking u r only 50-50
and now kickoff out of bounnds ?
shame on medeiros
why does archer have a job ? save $, fire archer - he is horrible - let marcus ball call defensive plays

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Sir Vincent Rogers saves a TD for us lol.

Our D is so horrible - can't even catch a guy jogging. His own offensive linemen had to trip him up - An offensive lineman! lol

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 09:41 PM

Our D is so horrible - can't even catch a guy jogging. His own offensive linemen had to trip him up - An offensive lineman! lol

Back to back bubble screens....Ottawa is made to look good tonight. More changes on the bye week.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:42 PM

yep argos need d line from nfl cuts
current d line stinks
why conservative calls ? wilder uo the middle on 2nd and 4
by trestman - i guess he like to lose
team is down by 15

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Thompson's actually not as bad running the ball as I thought.

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Back to back bubble screens....Ottawa is made to look good tonight. More changes on the bye week.
A new Defensive Coordinator is a must as well IMO.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:48 PM
why hasnt bt rolled -= are wide open receivers not good ?
2nd rollout and bt gets 15 yd
and back to pocket passing .....
sack on only 3 d lineman rushing - argo o line should be ashamed .....
yeah rolling is a bad idea w/ 3 rushers, qb might actually make a play for +ve yds

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Why is Jackson not on the bench???

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:57 PM
good return and good td !

argotom
08-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Wow, wait a minute....three minutes?
Is it possible?

R.J
08-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Martese Jackson has made some really good plays, but the inconsistency hurts the team at times.

tennyis
08-02-2018, 09:59 PM
I don't need to see the rest of the game to know the best performance by someone wearing an Argo uniform - Kardinal Offishall and I don't like his style of music.

wait to give up on the team.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Why is Jackson not on the bench???
his mishanding of punt costs argos a td
he should have sat a 1/4

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:04 PM
if single pat is made and then 2 pt pat is successful then the game is fg apart

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:23 PM
omg !!!!!! argos win !!!!! omg !!!!

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Trestman's guy makes it happen - Franklin to be traded in a couple of weeks.

argotom
08-02-2018, 10:24 PM
What did we just see here tonight.
B-T is the next starting QB.

Argos1983
Well that was crazy......

Golden Fleece
What a comeback. This game looked over so many times.

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Anyone want my season tickets ?

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Much needed win....Much work to be done.

Will
08-02-2018, 10:30 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:33 PM

donate them to charity ....

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:35 PM
donate them to charity ....
Will they even get used ?

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Good job by the Argo D, who second week in a row halts a strong RB in William Powell. Good pressure on Harris in the second half. Should down BC after the bye week. SJ Green showed he still has gas in the tank. Clutch catch by Edwards....MBT will have to be up to the challenge now that teams have film on him.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Will they even get used ?

i was gonna say the charity could have a draw for them then remembered it is the argos ..... and it is 2018

larz-7
08-02-2018, 10:38 PM
honestly can not believe it.

argotom
08-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Good job by the Argo D, who second week in a row halts a strong RB in William Powell. Good pressure on Harris in the second half. Should down BC after the bye week. SJ Green showed he still has gas in the tank. Clutch catch by Edwards....MBT will have to be up to the challenge now that teams have film on him.
The D was horrid the first 2/3 especially the back end coverage side.
Have to shore it up going forward.
But, no question when it mattered the entire team played well in the 4th especially MBT.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:39 PM
args have to deal w/ newly traded shawn lemon who will have a thing or 2 to prove

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:40 PM
i was gonna say the charity could have a draw for them then remembered it is the argos ..... and it is 2018
Exactly, at least if I get rid of them on here I know they'll be used.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:44 PM

wouldnt be sure of that

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:45 PM
wouldnt be sure of that
If not then I'll call the team and ask for a refund, barring that they'll just sit in my closest I guess.

argos1873
08-02-2018, 10:45 PM

I take it back. But they were horrible when I said it.

gilthethrill
08-02-2018, 10:47 PM

PM me if you are serious....I have friends who love going to the games.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:49 PM

there is your answer

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Just did.

Will
08-02-2018, 10:50 PM
As site owner, I don't give a s*** about the effect that this win has on the team -- I just hope it'll calm some of you the f*** down.

Enough of my potty mouth, excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with soap.

R.J
08-02-2018, 10:51 PM
I don't give a shit about the effect that this win has on the team -- I just hope it'll calm some of you the fuck down.

Clearly not me lol.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:55 PM
As site owner, I don't give a shit about the effect that this win has on the team -- I just hope it'll calm some of you the fuck down.

if i have a 'potty mouth' don't i get banned ?

Will
08-02-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm not an emotional guy anymore, and to be honest I've spent most of my emotions this week on less trivial matters than sports, but let's not kid ourselves here because the Argonauts still have plenty of work to do. They still surrendered 381 yards in the air to Harris, but did shut down William Powell rather effectively. I would be curious to see Harris' stats split between the two halves.

But, credit to S.J Green for his performance and, of course, to Armanti Edwards for his TD.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 10:58 PM
I'm not an emotional guy anymore, and to be honest I've spent most of my emotions this week on less trivial matters than sports, but let's not kid ourselves here because the Argonauts still have plenty of work to do. They still surrendered 381 yards in the air to Harris, but did shut down William Powell rather effectively. I would be curious to see Harris' stats split between the two halves.

But, credit to S.J Green for his performance and, of course, to Armanti Edwards for his TD.

'I'm not an emotional guy anymore'
in the other thread w/ your 'potty mouth' i would beg to differ ... lol
sj green did indeed have a great game [i already tweeted him as such]
bt needs to roll more often as it was very successful for him

Will
08-02-2018, 10:59 PM
if i have a 'potty mouth' don't i get banned ?

I mean I'd prefer if people didn't swear on here as a general rule.

​Goes and bans himself.

Will
08-02-2018, 11:00 PM
'I'm not an emotional guy anymore'
in the other thread w/ your 'potty mouth' i would beg to differ ... lol
sj green did indeed have a great game
bt needs to roll more often as it was very successful for him

As some of you know, I've had a long week.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 11:02 PM
I mean I'd prefer if people didn't swear on here as a general rule.

​Goes and bans himself.

but swearing for mods is ok ?
u do realize that u set an eg , right ?

Will
08-02-2018, 11:04 PM
but swearing for mods is ok ?
u do realize that u set an eg , right ?

There I edited my post.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 11:06 PM
There I edited my post.

whew !

Will
08-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Repost what you just edited. It's all there. If you want to play games instead of talk football, go do it with someone else. I have absolutely no time for you. *yawn*

1. where did i the word stupid ? perhaps u can enlighten me
2. 'I've not read one post from you that has ever made any sense.'
really ? not even one ? i told u a million times to not exaggerate .... lol

I AM here to talk Argonauts football.

If you write something that makes no sense, I am going to ask what you were trying to say so I truly understand it rather than relying on guessing.
Maybe it was something valuable which I could not deduce from the spelling/grammar.

Back to football talk.

Ah!
Thanks for clarifying.
The incorrect spelling confused me. (Bettors, not betters.)

"for betters"?

What?

What did I do to deserve this?

jerrym
08-02-2018, 11:15 PM
My apologies to B-T for doubting him based on his history. I had to take my son to swim practice so I missed the third quarter but was able to watch a great comeback on my cellphone starting when the score was 38-26. Considering the Argos were down by 24 points at one point this was one hell of a turnaround. Lots of work left to be done but at least they have escaped being last in the standings.

macspectrum
08-02-2018, 11:16 PM
What did I do to deserve this?
i look at life this way;
everyday i wake up is a good day
btw i have survived 2 strokes, have high bp, type 2 diabetes, have a nurse that comes in to my home 3 times per week to address my lower legs re diabetes and apply leg dressings
see 2 specialists at the hospital and dietician at the hospital

jerrym
08-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Noel had his best game as a receiver with four catches but he has to learn when to go out of bounds with seconds left. It cost the Argos a FG.

tennyis
08-02-2018, 11:24 PM

i'd use them, would love to go to a game with my son! long drive from Kingston but hey for free tickets lol

jerrym
08-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Attendance was 11,857, up roughly 1,000 from the last home game. IMO, tonight was an important win in terms of avoiding another attendance dropoff with a 1-6 record.

Will
08-02-2018, 11:33 PM

Attendance was 11,857, up roughly 1,000 from the last home game. IMO, tonight was an important win in terms of avoiding another attendance dropoff with a 1-6 record.

It's not as if 2-5 is anymore appealing. Mind you the next game is CNE.

Argo57
08-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Unexpected win shouldn’t mask the fact the Argos have a lot of work to do before they can be considered a good football team.
They need to break the cycle of horrendous starts, opposition seem to score at will early in the game.
Run D has been pretty decent the last couple of games but the pass D remains way below average.
Washington is a nice addition to this lineup, removing Kanneh would be an even nicer addition to this lineup.
Special teams need to be tightened up.
Thumbs up to the new kicker, did a great job all around tonight!
Great to see my buddy AngeloV tonight and also finally meet Ravi who as I suspected is a very fine gentleman!

Will
08-02-2018, 11:39 PM
Unexpected win shouldn’t mask the fact the Argos have a lot of work to do before they can be considered a good football team.
They need to break the cycle of horrendous starts, opposition seem to score at will early in the game.
Run D has been pretty decent the last couple of games but the pass D remains way below average.
Washington is a nice addition to this lineup, removing Kanneh would be an even nicer addition to this lineup.
Special teams need to be tightened up.
Thumbs up to the new kicker, did a great job all around tonight!
Great to see my buddy AngeloV tonight and also finally meet Ravi who as I suspected is a very fine gentleman!

I'm convinced I will never actually meet Ravi in person.

Argos1983
08-02-2018, 11:43 PM

At least 1,000 more people saw an exciting win rather than another horrific loss, with the EX game coming up (usually one of the best selling games), and with 2 weeks to sell after that exciting ending, at least there is some hope to try to get that number back to the 15K-17K range for August 18th.....

Will
08-02-2018, 11:45 PM
At least 1,000 more people saw an exciting win rather than another horrific loss, with the EX game coming up (usually one of the best selling games), and with 2 weeks to sell after that exciting ending, at least there is some hope to try to get that number back to the 15K-17K range for August 18th.....

Yeah, and I think this is one of the games that the front office did (along w/ home opener) try and make an effort to sell.

Will
08-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Certainly, but one should also not underestimate the effect that this win could, and I emphasize could have either.

Argo57
08-03-2018, 12:14 AM
I'm convinced I will never actually meet Ravi in person.

LOL.
Until this evening I thought Ravi was like the mysterious Horn Chen when he owned the Ottawa Rough Riders😁

Argo57
08-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Certainly, but one should also not underestimate the effect that this win could, and I emphasize could have either.

Let’s hope!

R.J
08-03-2018, 12:27 AM
i'd use them, would love to go to a game with my son! long drive from Kingston but hey for free tickets lol
I pm'd you.

Will
08-03-2018, 12:29 AM
I pm'd you.

May I ask why you are taking this step? I mean, you could've done it at any point in the 3 game losing streak when the Argos looked absolutely putrid, but instead you're doing this after a win.

R.J
08-03-2018, 12:32 AM
May I ask why you are taking this step? I mean, you could've done it at any point in the 3 game losing streak when the Argos looked absolutely putrid, but instead you're doing this after a win.
I'll pm you about it.

ArgoGabe22
08-03-2018, 12:34 AM
Martese Jackson sure redeemed himself big time. The moment he gave up that TD, I thought the game was over. First thought was, how long til McCluster gets healthy and replaces him?

I don't get the MBT hate, especially before his first start. I was quite impressed with him overall, minus a few bad/forced throws. And he ran the ball mush better than Franklin, who is supposed to be such a great scrambler. I don't know how long he can keep it up as a starter, but I think he did a lot of good things. Also seemed to use SJ Green more than Franklin did the last few games combined.

Looked like there was some improvement on the line. MBT seemed to have a bit more time than Franklin or Ray ever had this season?

Just feed Wilder the ball.

Defence is still a work in progress. Washington looked to be aggressive. I always thought Kanneh, Heath and Yell were a bit soft. Frustrates me how a little quick hitch can go for a huge gain. Better at stopping the run since Harris exploded last home game but we still need Woods back ASAP.

I still have no idea how they pulled this one off. Even if the Argos just came out short at the end, I would still leave happy. It was entertaining and quite exciting. I don't alway need a win, as long as its a good game and this game had everything. 4 turnovers in the first half should've ended the game right there.

Will
08-03-2018, 12:34 AM
I'll pm you about it.

Fair enough.

Stevoman
08-03-2018, 01:03 AM
That one brought back some Marvin Graves memories! Didn't think it would happen and still confused as to how it did but a win is a win!!!

Shatto
08-03-2018, 01:18 AM
Just back from game--one of the most frustrating but in the end, one of the most exciting and rewarding game in years. A game of 2 parts--two and a half quarters where the Argos could do nothing right and the rest a game of heroic comebacks. I understand that coming back from 24 points down is the second biggest comeback in Argo history.
My thoughts on game:
.MBT appeared to grow more confident as the game progressed in the 2nd half
.MBT is quite an effective runner and far more mobile than we suspected
.Green was superb in the 2nd half He just would not allow himself to be covered
.Wilder with 115 yards from scrimmage was a powerhouse in the 2nd half
.Nice to see Cross getting some catches---2 catches didn't count because Ottawa was penalized for pass interference
.Noel dropped a pass he should have caught but he bounced back with 4 catches for 47 yards.
.the DB's play very soft but that appears to be scheme--sometimes 3 DB's drop back 20 yards from line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball
.Medeiros looked very good and may have won the kicking position
.A key play was the successful challenge by Trestman with 33 seconds left in the game---the ref ruled MBT down by contact but in effect it was an incomplete pass before he went down. As a result of being an incomplete pass the clock stopped and 4 seconds were added back on the clock. Since the Argos scored the winning TD with 1 second left, that was a very big successful challenge by the coach

It was interesting that as the game proceeded in the 4th quarter, you could see the Argo players on the sidelines becoming more active and engaged in the game whereas the Ottawa players noticeably drooped.

ArgoGabe22
08-03-2018, 01:21 AM
^ I don’t know if the challenge was accepted or if it was automatically reviewed by the command centre.

I also thought Ottawa called a timeout they didn’t have in the very end.

R.J
08-03-2018, 01:31 AM
TSN Turning Point has to be Sir Vincent Rogers tripping R.J Harris lol.

paulwoods13
08-03-2018, 03:33 AM
Argo fans, gotta love em. A comeback for the ages and the game thread features someone surrendering their tickets but not saying why. And a moderator bans himself for using a potty mouth. Never change, Argo fans. (As for me, I can't wait to see this one on the PVR).

gilthethrill
08-03-2018, 05:59 AM
^ I don’t know if the challenge was accepted or if it was automatically reviewed by the command centre.

I think that call was reviewed....as for the delay, no one was really sure what was going on. MBT out plays his former Mountain Lion team mate in Trevor Harris. MBT also only needs 4 more TD passes to tie his NCAA total.

macspectrum
08-03-2018, 07:00 AM

inside 3 min, reviewed by command centre - no need to challenge as ref explained to trestman 'as shown on tv' ....lol

macspectrum
08-03-2018, 07:12 AM
Just back from game--one of the most frustrating but in the end, one of the most exciting and rewarding game in years. A game of 2 parts--two and a half quarters where the Argos could do nothing right and the rest a game of heroic comebacks. I understand that coming back from 24 points down is the second biggest comeback in Argo history.
My thoughts on game:
.MBT appeared to grow more confident as the game progressed in the 2nd half

.MBT is quite an effective runner and far more mobile than we suspected
.Green was superb in the 2nd half He just would not allow himself to be covered
.Wilder with 115 yards from scrimmage was a powerhouse in the 2nd half
.Nice to see Cross getting some catches---2 catches didn't count because Ottawa was penalized for pass interference
.Noel dropped a pass he should have caught but he bounced back with 4 catches for 47 yards.
.the DB's play very soft but that appears to be scheme--sometimes 3 DB's drop back 20 yards from line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball
.Medeiros looked very good and may have won the kicking position
.A key play was the successful challenge by Trestman with 33 seconds left in the game---the ref ruled MBT down by contact but in effect it was an incomplete pass before he went down. As a result of being an incomplete pass the clock stopped and 4 seconds were added back on the clock. Since the Argos scored the winning TD with 1 second left, that was a very big successful challenge by the coach

It was interesting that as the game proceeded in the 4th quarter, you could see the Argo players on the sidelines becoming more active and engaged in the game whereas the Ottawa players noticeably drooped.

'the DB's play very soft but that appears to be scheme--sometimes 3 DB's drop back 20 yards from line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball'

the coach is calling 'zone defence' when he should be calling lots of man 2man instead which is a big reason i think he should be fired and last 3 games his d allowed 40 pts or more
and blitz to get pressure on qb
for qb out of pocket and make him run
a qb like harris who isnt all that fast nor big wont be running for long
also running is physically exhausting making it harder to throw he is 6'4" 210lbs

again, win is a win

macspectrum
08-03-2018, 07:20 AM

winning exciting games is the best way to increase ticket sales [best marketing idea EVER]
now go market the crap out of this win ! i hope the argos mkting minions are already hard at work using video of this game
i agree, let's see that number back up to 15k or beyond

ArgoZ
08-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Needed that one. That last minute was terrible for TV. Delay after delay took some emotion of out the finish, but maybe that helped the Argos calm down. MBT (can we get a chant started next game instead of MVP), is a better runner than Franklin, who knew?

Bleeds Double Blue
08-03-2018, 08:57 AM
It's obvious to me that after erasing a 24 point deficit in the second half the Argonauts need to sign Kardinal Offishall.

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 09:15 AM

It definitely wasn't boring or defensive.

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 09:17 AM
zone defence being called by archer
also martese jackson should be benched for letting ottawa score a td on that punt by his horrible mishandling of the ball
players need to learn about repercussions for their actions
trestman NEEDS to be creative

2nd dwn 10 td, 5 yd pass attempt .... typical trestman ... he needs to learn
.oh my was that man2man defence on deep pass attempt by ottawa
still no blitzing by argos
harris has a long time to throw - his stats show i.
tirnover on dwns, 2 tries , sort ydage, and 32 up the middle twice ? boooo trestman
trestman is helping argos lose this game
why isnt jackson on the bench ?
4th turnover in 1st 1/2 - trestman needs to be ashamed
can argos just cry uncle and give up ? soon to be 1-6
can they just forfeit the game ?
let clock run out 1st 1/2 ?
trestman looks very bad ?
more and more i believe gc win last yr was a fluke
pocket passer doesnt work in cfl but maybe trestman likes being 1-5 soon 1-6
does archer even know what the word 'blitz' means ?
all these ideas on how to increase attendance yet 'winning' a few games doesn't seem to be one of them
esp. after they won gc last yr
oh right, mlse will fix all like leafs winning cup soon

Good thing that Trestman didn't bench Jackson.

It's nice to have the best HC in the CFL staying calm and not over reacting to every mistake.

Joe Barnes
08-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Couldn't make it down for this one, so watched on the PVR. At the half, I was saying 'Thank God I didn't go!' and was contemplating burning my remaining tickets...as the 2nd half unfolded I was cursing the fact I wasn't there! Very exciting win - bring on the Lions!

Now back to reality...is this just one game, miraculously won by a still bad team or did the GC Champs finally wake up and produce a rallying point for the season?

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Me too, I couldn't make it. Good call.

Lol, yeah you two true fans made a great call there.

Argocister
08-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Very exciting game in the second half.
I always feel that Trestman is very cautious and testing in the first half. Even last year with Ricky, I sometimes would wonder if we still had a QB.
It's funny to read the thread after the game .... I was at it .... What is the opposite of the rose coloured glasses .... Perhaps double blue ones .... I'm glad the team proved the naysayers wrong.

The game was definitely not a defensive forte for either side. ..... Which is generally good for the fans.
I sat beside a football coach who was complaining that when Ball fell back to safety, they played man to man ...and often got burned . Mmmmm I will have to learn some football on the Defense as now I've heard varying opinions .

I like BLT ..... That's what I would like to call him ..... Although the TSN 1150 this morning were calling him " the hyphen"
It will be an interesting battle between the two QBs . I'm assuming Trestman will give BLT a couple more games at least .....Let's not forget, Franklin won his first game too.

As for the half time show ...... It seemed okay. I think I heard a newer Argo song in there .....but it's fun to still hear the band playing the traditional song ....if only I could remember the words.

Well I'm not giving up my seasons. And hopefully I can continue to get people to come out. And hopefully the offense can build from tonight's game .... And not regress.... Teams now have film. ..... if we can put up lots of points, it gives our Defense time to gel...... Which is good in the second half of the season.

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 10:10 AM

I don't know that 'washed up' SJ Green looked pretty damn good.

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 10:12 AM
fire eiben and fire archer
trestman needs to be behind a desk
so rolling bt worked, but next play put him in poccket
ineman jumps, sj green offside on 2 pt convert
all on offensive coach shoulders - poor coaching

Judging from your signature didn't you already fire yourself as an Argonauts fan?

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Hold on a second, B-T looking good in the 3rd and early now in the 4th. It's not over?

Yeah it's almost like it was his first ever regular season CFL start & he needed to find his rhythm.

PullTogether73
08-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this (AFAIK), but I thought that this game was won by the Argos on the back of a plethora of REDBLACKS penalties in the second half.
The Argos would have had several offensive drives stall without ORBs penalties, which would have sealed a defeat. Of course, the trip by Rogers of his ball-carrying teammate on the way to the end zone was critical as well.

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 10:23 AM

The sense of entitlement from some Argonauts fans is amazing.

Use the option to donate them to charity.

mchesher03
08-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this (AFAIK), but I thought that this game was won by the Argos on the back of a plethora of REDBLACKS penalties in the second half.
The Argos would have had several offensive drives stall without ORBs penalties, which would have sealed a defeat. Of course, the trip by Rogers of his ball-carrying teammate on the way to the end zone was critical as well.

Can’t recall which receiver it was, maybe ellingson but he was basically jogging at that point too. That became just a total lack of effort play from the defence at that point – it was crazy that he tripped on his own O-Lineman too, amazing.

Shatto
08-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Appreciate the clarification on the "challenge" by Trestman with 33 sec left. There was no indication from the ref to the stadium crowd that it was being automatically reviewed (unless I was so wrapped in the game that I missed it)

There were several other in-stadium concernst---two interference reviews in the Argo end zone were not replayed on the screen, leaving us to guess if the calls were right, wrong or borderline. The powers that be, need to not only entertain the fans in the stadium but inform them. In other words---let us know what the heck is going on.

The delay after the 33 sec review seemed to revolve around the clock---Argo coaches and players were waving wildly and pointing to the clock while the officials took forever to come to decision. Again --the 4 seconds were added but no announcement or explanation was made.

On reflection --a couple of other comments re the game:
.MBT showed great arm strength and superb placement of his passes--the ball thrown to a spot where only the receiver had a chance at the ball
.In the 2nd half the D played very well--stopping the run and putting real pressure on Harris
.Have to say that Noel looked more impressive than Smith as a receiver
.Hope those who left early in the 4th, didn't regret it too much. Another lesson for us- in the CFL no lead is ever safe

macspectrum
08-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Judging from your signature didn't you already fire yourself as an Argonauts fan?

if u really 'read' my sig, i resigned from being a 'life long fan'
i didn't realize that precluded me from supporting the team or commenting on this site, but i hope to learn...lol

Rich
08-03-2018, 02:35 PM
That game was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen. I am sure I will remember it forever.

1971GreyCup
08-03-2018, 02:50 PM
In the second half MBT played “Ricky Ray - like.” Must be a Sacramento thing.

Argofan_1000
08-03-2018, 03:06 PM
I have to say something about MLSE. I have to admit that the game had non-stop something every minute. I do like the way they present the football game. I think it is the best I have seen in a long time. It takes someone to choreograph all of this last night - good job to who ever you are

Neely2005
08-03-2018, 03:07 PM
if u really 'read' my sig, i resigned from being a 'life long fan'
i didn't realize that precluded me from supporting the team or commenting on this site, but i hope to learn...lol

Got it, you're a bandwagon fan now.

macspectrum
08-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Got it, you're a bandwagon fan now.

i used to defend the cfl and argos to my friends who think that the nfl games are only way
if argos go way, i will be sad but no longer fight for them to be here
if the cfl goes away, i am not defending them to stay

AngeloV
08-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Argos offence being helped immensely by the Redblacks prevent D. Garbage time QB and team.

But I thought you said Noel Thorpe was the free agent prize of the off season? hahaha.

AngeloV
08-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Appreciate the clarification on the "challenge" by Trestman with 33 sec left. There was no indication from the ref to the stadium crowd that it was being automatically reviewed (unless I was so wrapped in the game that I missed it)

In they end, it didn't matter, but the officials really blew it with the game clock on that call. Once they determined that it was an incompletion, the clock should have gone back to 40 seconds from 29 as there was 40 ticks on the clock when the play ended. It ran down to 29 while the booth was overturning the call on the field as the big stupid ref blew the next play in. I have no clue in the world where they randomly decided to put it to 33 seconds.

jerrym
08-03-2018, 04:35 PM
The DL is rarely able to put pressure on the QB, the OL can't create even small holes on short yardage plays, opposition receivers are almost continuously wide open, Wilder needs time to get going and therefore is repeatedly halted, the QB cannot throw long with any accuracy, and Jackson and Noel both make mental errors costing points. What one expects from what will soon be 1-6 team.

While I still think most of my half-time criticism was true, I should know it ain't over till it's over, especially in the CFL. Mea culpa. However, I don't think I was the only one thinking along these lines. Even Dunigan and Burris in their post-game analysis said they were thinking at halftime that the rest of the game would be a sleeper.

dmont
08-03-2018, 04:56 PM
My mother came down to visit the family and amidst all the activity, I forgot they were playing. Can't. Believe. I. Missed. This. Game. However, this was the type of game where I probably would have been hate-posting the whole time, calling for several firings, and ultimately turned off during the 3rd quarter in disgust.

Streamed the game this morning. This game got out of reach very quickly, and coming back to win it bordered on a miracle. We always seem to spot the other team 12 - 14 points in the first four of five minutes of the first quarter. Every game, this seems to happen. Until our guys stop sleeping through the first half of the first quarter, we're not going to win a lot of games.

I actully thought the defense played a pretty good game, overall. Shutting down the run game was huge, but even the secondary was alright. The opposing receivers weren't as wide open as they usually are. Even when their receivers made a big catch, one of our guys was usually in his hip pocket. I'll take that any day over the Stubler-esque bend-and-then-break garbage we've been seeing lately. For the first time, I thought Darby was a little soft at times. Love Trumaine Washington's tackles in the open field. Defense gave up two touchdowns, but I think Abdul Kanneh was to blame for those more than the defense as a while. Although he had an interception, Kanneh was still bad. Based on Darby's reaction, I think Kanneh screwed up his assignment on the first Ottawa touchdown, and then his pull on the opposing receiver's wrist led directly to the second touchdown. Take Kanneh out of the equation, and it's a pretty good night for the defense. Better yet, take Kanneh out... period.

Blame for the first half struggles lies squarely with the offense and special teams. I noticed later in the game Wilder wasn't doing to eagle claw on his carries and I wonder if that factored into his fumble. The flubbed Martese Jackson punt reception was disheartening, though easily correctable. Eiben needs to clean up the special teams coverage. What is with this team and short yardage? I've never seen a team stopped so often on third and short. I miss Fajardo.

Great to see SJ Green come back to life. No kudos to those of you smugly saying "haw haw, you thought SJ lost a step, eh?" Sorry, Captain Hindsight; there was nothing from SJ's performance in the first six games to suggest that a night like this was in the cards, with the third-string QB, no less. I like Malcolm Williams and think he's coming along. Noel took some (deserved) flack for clock management at the end of the first half, but at least he caught the damn ball and managed to accumulate some yack yards. On this team during this season, I'll take it (just work on your timing!). Rodney Smith had a quiet game, but that's more an indication of the other receivers doing well.

Now to MacLeod Bethel-Thompson. His running ability was a big surprise; everything I read about him made him sound like a pocket passer with a cannon. Given our hot-and-cold O-line, this made me nervous. I agree with one of the earlier posters that he needs to feet-first slide more often if wants to stay healthy. I like the guy, but I'm not breaking out the champagne for a few reasons: 1) It was his first game. I remember thinking Dan LeFevour was going to be our answer at QB in 2016 after he was lights out in his first game. <shaking fist> You've ruined my ability to trust, Dan LeFevour!!! On the other hand, he had his greatest success in the second half, so it's not like he hit the other team in the mouth when they didn't know what to expect, and then get shut down once the other team adjusted. Makes me a little more optimistic that he can be successful once the other teams have him on film. 2) Ottawa penalties (some of which looked pretty marginal on TV) kept our offense on the field a lot in the second half, which must have been a big factor in getting MBT into a rhythm. Can MBT keep the offense on the field without the ref's assistance? I don't know.... 3) There was A LOT of going for it on 3rd down in the fourth quarter, and MBT deserves some credit for keeping the drives going. However, in order to have a chance in most of our games, we need our QB to get 10 yards in two downs rather than 3. Until he does, we're always going to be trying to claw our way back in the fourth, and we might not be so lucky next time. 4) MBT needs to work on his soft touch on those 5 - 8 yrd crossing and outlet passes. A few times, the ball was thrown so hard at Edwards and Noel that the ball bounced of their hands/face and high into the air. He was lucky they didn't turn into INTs. Anyways, I like the guy and I'm happy for him, but I predict he'll have a tougher time in his next game or two.

Overall, despite the disastrous first quarters that we've come to expect from this team, they put together a good game in the final 19 minutes. Some might even say a great game. Win going into the bye against a divisional opponent was key. Hopefully we get some injured players back over the next two weeks and a suitable replacement can be found for Kanneh.

Two other notes:

1) Did anybody else notice TSN making an obvious effort to find attractive women in the crowd and give them screen time? This is along the lines of something I've been saying for years as an outside-the-box way to improve the profile of this team in the city. The Argos need more cute team merch geared towards 18 - 35 yr old women, and then get them posting those cute selfies wearing team merch to their social media. I'm convinced that this was a big help in the Blue Jays resurgence. Anybody notice that young cute girls like going to Blue Jay games? They don't just show up either, they're decked out in jays cap and top as well. And they spend a good chunk of the game taking selfies and posting on social media for all their friends to see. The Argos need to get into this business. Better merch for cute girls, and entice some of those popular female Instagram models and bloggers to come to a game and tell everybody what a great time they had. I believe it'll pay off in the long run.

2) I've detected some exasperation (particularly from Argofans.com) with the negative tone that often surfaces in the gameday threads during the game. I admit I'm probably one of the worst offenders. I hope nobody takes this as disliking or hating the team. Speaking for myself, it's a way to cope when things are going poorly. Watching the team you love playing inept football at home during important games can have lasting negative consequences for the future of this team in the city. It's hard to watch, and the critical posting helps deal with the frustration. Speaking for myself and the other sometimes-negative-nancys, we greatly appreciate having this forum as a place to congregate and experience this team, good or bad.

OV Argo
08-04-2018, 02:21 PM
But I thought you said Noel Thorpe was the free agent prize of the off season? hahaha.

Thorpe is big-time over-rated IMO.

That all-rookie D-line was useless against a rookie QB when it mattered in the 2nd half. Thorpe was also trotting out a couple of rookie linebackers who aren't very good. Their secondary has a couple of big holes too (maybe not as holy as the Argos' though). Inexperience on D and lack of smart adjustments - looked good on Thorpe blowing that huge lead.

AngeloV
08-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Thorpe is big-time over-rated IMO.

No surprise there.

argolio
08-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Some of the first half comments on this thread were gold, Jerry, gold!

I think the turning point on offence was BMT establishing SJ Green as his primary target. Opened up everything else.

Despite getting carved by Harris for much of the game, shutting down Powell (14 for 35) paid off at the end. They had no confidence in their running game to run out the clock.

And to those complaining about not blitzing enough, I think we got burned every time we did.

Thought the o-line played well, especially McEwen. D-line got stronger as the game went on. Tuggle looked very active. AC Leonard was a beast for them.

ArgoRavi
08-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Good thing that Trestman didn't bench Jackson.

It's nice to have the best HC in the CFL staying calm and not over reacting to every mistake.

Good points! Unlike most of us fans, Trestman doesn't panic.

ArgoRavi
08-04-2018, 08:04 PM
That game was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen. I am sure I will remember it forever.

It was an incredible performance by the Argos in the second half. By my count, they had seven offensive series and scored on six of them - five TDs and a FG which resulted, oddly enough, in 35 points due to one missed one point convert and two missed two point converts.

Usually, when a comeback like this happens, there are a few turnovers that go your way but the Argos only forced one turnover in the second half which gave them about half the field to traverse. They did get a huge punt return in the fourth quarter that gave them a short field and then Bethel-Thompson did a solid job moving the offence, including on the final possession when they started at their own 25. I have been down on the two Canadian receivers, Levi Noel and Malcolm Williams, a bit but they both played improved football on Thursday night. And I guess we can say for certain that S.J. Green isn't finished.

You had to like Martese Jackson's bounce back from that horrible muffing of the punt which cost the Argos a TD. I still wonder if Trestman might not go back to Armanti Edwards for punt returns deep in their own end as he did last year. Then again, after Jackson's big fourth quarter return, perhaps he will get a pass for now.

The defence showed further improvement. Two of the Ottawa TDs came on special teams and Wilder's fumble late in the second quarter set Ottawa up on a very short field for another TD. Otherwise, the defence gave up a respectable 21 points against a decent offence.

Hopefully the bye week will allow for the return of key players such as Bear Woods, Anthony Coombs, and at least one or two of Qudarius Ford, Johnny Sears Jr. and Matt Black although I suspect that Black is a little further away from returning. With games coming up with B.C. and Montreal, the Argos have a good shot to get to 4-5 heading into the second half of the season.

gilthethrill
08-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Ravi, Frank Z wrote that Sears is out for the season. Odd because I was at the Guelph game when he was hurt and it looked not too serious. Still bummed about not meeting you Thursday night at such a great game.

I mentioned before the Ottawa game the Argos would go either 5-1 or 4-2 in the next 6 games. Game 7 is against Calgary, so...

ArgoRavi
08-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Ravi, Frank Z wrote that Sears is out for the season. Odd because I was at the Guelph game when he was hurt and it looked not too serious. Still bummed about not meeting you Thursday night at such a great game.

I mentioned before the Ottawa game the Argos would go either 5-1 or 4-2 in the next 6 games. Game 7 is against Calgary, so...

Sorry to miss you the other night too, gil. And I did indeed miss what Frank Z. said about Sears, whose career may be over given his many injuries in recent years. I would like to see the Argos tweak the secondary a bit. Perhaps Roberson could be an answer back there as I tend to agree with others that an upgrade over Kanneh may be necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing Woodson get more playing time back there too but I doubt that we have seen the last of the changes in that area of the team. Washington in for Heath is a good improvement though.

Argo57
08-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Sorry to miss you the other night too, gil. And I did indeed miss what Frank Z. said about Sears, whose career may be over given his many injuries in recent years. I would like to see the Argos tweak the secondary a bit. Perhaps Roberson could be an answer back there as I tend to agree with others that an upgrade over Kanneh may be necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing Woodson get more playing time back there too but I doubt that we have seen the last of the changes in that area of the team. Washington in for Heath is a good improvement though.

Washington over Heath is a huge improvement!

macspectrum
08-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Levi Noel not getting out of bounds cost argos a good shot at fg just b4 1/2 time
he NEEDS to have his wits about him

jackson - u never ever try to catch punt over your head, especially if hasnt even bounced yet and that close to your own end zone - he is a quick and exciting player - argos NEED to use punt/kick return as a play making/scoring part of team - to wit chad owens in his prime

MBT needs to be mobile - he threw a TD pass to a wide open sj green on one roll [def back left green to come up and defend mbt]
other roll he ran for 15 yd
mobility is very key in cfl
also help o line too

wilder fumble deep in own zone was costly

sj green is very much the leader and a great player too
[pppsssstttt declan cross in flats]

AngeloV
08-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Levi Noel not getting out of bounds cost argos a good shot at fg just b4 1/2 time

He's still learning how to be a pro receiver. He also ran a very bad go route on the play before the Edwards TD which made it look like MBT over threw him. It was a perfect throw, but for some reason, Noel drifted inside on his route when the DB had inside coverage. Had he faded slightly rather than drift inside, it would have been a TD. All part of the learning curve.

MBT needs to be mobile - he threw a TD pass to a wide open sj green on one roll [def back left green to come up and defend mbt]

In actuality, the DB left Green to come up on Wilder who was definitely the prime receiver on the play. MBT read it well and spotted Green.

Could have been, but in the end, it wasn't.

also help o line too

His mobility doesn't come from rolling out. He subtly moves well in the pocket. Mike Reilly is very mobile, but how often do you see him rolling out? He has great footwork in the pocket, which allows him to read and react. Bo Levi Mitchell is moving so well in the pocket that he extends plays and makes big plays down field as a result.

cfl-cis fan
08-05-2018, 09:30 AM

jackson - u never ever try to catch punt over your head, especially if hasnt even bounced yet and that close to your own end zone - he is a quick and exciting player - argos NEED to use punt/kick return as a play making/scoring part of team - to wit chad owens in his prime

also help o line too

sj green is very much the leader and a great player too
[pppsssstttt declan cross in flats]

the few touches that cross normally gets are now going to the star player Wilder and that is just the way it is with TEAM play. It happens when it happens. Just WIN

paulwoods13
08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
I've now had a chance to watch the PVR of the game, and to read this thread. It really was an amazing performance in the second half, and I feel we may have found a quarterback who can play in this league. I agree with AngeloV that MBT has very good footwork. He stepped away from the rush a number of times effectively in the second half. The defence seems to be improving although there's obviously still work to do. I wouldn't mind seeing Dowling back in the lineup somewhere. Maybe Cassius Vaughn can be moved back to the secondary and Dowling moved in at linebacker. it feels to me that when Woods comes back, Tuggle will move to rush end, and we will be in good position there. I'm going to be interested to see if Bomben ends up playing a starting role on the offensive line somewhere. chances are he's no worse and possibly better than the two international offensive linemen we are playing. maybe Washington moves to left tackle, and bumble moves to right guard. that could put another international receiver into the mix, although it did seem to me that both Williams and Noel had better games this week. Now let's capitalize on a momentum building game in the next one. sorry about the typos, I'm using voice recognition on my phone and it doesn't always work well.

1971GreyCup
08-05-2018, 03:38 PM
I was speaking to Jeff Johnson at the game and it’s the time, he felt that the game changed after Declan Cross got the ball four times. Really the first time this season when started to rely on Declan. Certainly a FB perspective. It certainly was a game of two halves. Glad we didn’t play our best half first.

argofandave
08-08-2018, 01:35 PM
I have a question about time outs used by Ottawa in this game. Ottawa used a challenge and lost which means they lost one of their time outs. Somehow, they were able to use 2 time outs in the last 3 minutes of the game (which isn't allowed) even though they only had 1 time out left. They used 1 time out with 29 seconds left and 1 time out with 9 seconds left. Anybody else notice this?

AngeloV
08-08-2018, 01:50 PM
I have a question about time outs used by Ottawa in this game. Ottawa used a challenge and lost which means they lost one of their time outs. Somehow, they were able to use 2 time outs in the last 3 minutes of the game (which isn't allowed) even though they only had 1 time out left. They used 1 time out with 29 seconds left and 1 time out with 9 seconds left. Anybody else notice this?

The timeout was given back to them because they called it after the MBT sack which was reviews and changed to an incomplete pass. They called the time out while the clock ticked down to 29 seconds, and as a result the league added time back, but they messed it up. The incomplete pass happened at the 40 second mark and the replay official only added time back to 33 seconds. The bungled that one badly.

lazycro
08-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Yea, I yelled at the field but they couldn't hear me I guess?
0:33 and 0:09 were the time outs called under 3 minutes

If I look at the play-by-play closely though it's possible that their "time-out" was nullified because the play before it was reviewed and deemed incomplete to Cross

argofandave
08-08-2018, 02:09 PM
The timeout was given back to them because they called it after the MBT sack which was reviews and changed to an incomplete pass. They called the time out while the clock ticked down to 29 seconds, and as a result the league added time back, but they messed it up. The incomplete pass happened at the 40 second mark and the replay official only added time back to 33 seconds. The bungled that one badly.

Yea, I yelled at the field but they couldn't hear me I guess?
0:33 and 0:09 were the time outs called under 3 minutes

If I look at the play-by-play closely though it's possible that their "time-out" was nullified because the play before it was reviewed and deemed incomplete to Cross

Thank you! I still have the recording of the game so I'll go back and watch the last minute of the game again.

argofandave
08-08-2018, 03:15 PM

I watched that play again and you're right about the clock. should've been reset to 40 seconds. Also, when Ottawa called a time out with 29 seconds left, the referee blew the whistle with 35 seconds left but the clock didn't stop until 29 seconds. The amount of real time between plays was almost 9 minutes.

AngeloV
08-08-2018, 05:36 PM
I watched that play again and you're right about the clock. should've been reset to 40 seconds. Also, when Ottawa called a time out with 29 seconds left, the referee blew the whistle with 35 seconds left but the clock didn't stop until 29 seconds. The amount of real time between plays was almost 9 minutes.

Yes, it was a comedy of errors between the replay official and the big stupid guy Bradbury.

barongan
08-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Following this!http://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

7dj83r8f78t4alf8