View Full Version : franklin as trade to Winnipeg ?

macspectrum
08-25-2018, 07:07 PM
they need a qb and we need ... ?
abysmal performance by win qb today
what could we get from them ?

lazycro
08-26-2018, 10:52 AM
No they have Strev

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 11:44 AM
No they have Strev

i watched the bomber game game and they could use help at qb
i think nichols is done
see if strev can save them

ArgoGabe22
08-26-2018, 11:54 AM
And who will we be our backup?

Argo57
08-26-2018, 01:00 PM
And who will we be our backup?

Minor detail😛

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Minor detail
franklin seems to be working well on short offense but he is very expensive for that
for backup [before or a 3 way trade ] i still like brandon bridge and he's a local gta boy !

paulwoods13
08-26-2018, 08:50 PM
franklin seems to be working well on short offense but he is very expensive for that
for backup [before or a 3 way trade ] i still like brandon bridge and he's a local gta boy !

Yeah, let's trade Franklin to Winnipeg for Bridge.

Argo57
08-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Yeah, let's trade Franklin to Winnipeg for Bridge.

Correction: Bridge and Messam.

R.J
08-26-2018, 09:01 PM
And Fajardo too, no ?

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 09:04 PM

didnt ambroise say he would negate any messam contract ?

in your zeal to get me u forgot about facts
a tactic i used very successfully in my previous life
hee hee
do u really think that bridge is LESS cost effective than franklin [edit mine] as backup qb ?
u know the same canadian local gta bridge that almost beat the argos in the case final and showed he can run hard
and i do support messam - maybe u dont like ACCUSED players, but they are just that ACCUSED
innocent until proven guilty in a court of law
i saw the very same gc game as u all did
messam scored 2 td in that bad weather - 1 by pass 1 by run
he is a very big boy, would love to get a ring, and is a local gta boy
i am a big fan of both messam [6' 3", 255lbs. 33 yrs old] and bridge because they are local gta boys and the can just play at a very high level
maybe messam doesnt like the argos, maybe he doesnt like popp or trestman, then so be it
i am pretty sure bridge [6' 5", 235lbs, 26 yrs old] would come to toronto as i think his nfl window is closed
he is very mobile and very big, his passing accuracy leaves something to be desired, but if duron carter were here .....
dont know if trestman likes him

Argo57
08-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Franklin has more upside than Bridge, Messam looks washed up IMO.
Messam is a 33 year old RB facing serious legal issues, I suspect his career is over.

AngeloV
08-26-2018, 09:51 PM
😂😂😂. Best....thread...ever.

argolio
08-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Trade him for a grass endzone.

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Franklin has more upside than Bridge, Messam looks washed up IMO.
Messam is a 33 year old RB facing serious legal issues, I suspect his career is over.

this is same 'washed up' messam that scored 2 td in 2017 gc vs these argos ?
uh ok , i see u have the same eval on talent as does shatkins

jerrym
08-26-2018, 10:52 PM
We need a backup who is decent. So keep Franklin.

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 11:12 PM
We need a backup who is decent. So keep Franklin.

franklin makes more $ than macbeth
'decent' backup would make equal if not less

Stevoman
08-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Keep Franklin and give him a longer leash the next time he gets the chance to play!

Ron
08-27-2018, 04:19 AM
Keep Franklin and give him a longer leash the next time he gets the chance to play!

I believe Trestman sees Franklin as the long term starter. He just had to get him out of there and work on some things to improve. Franklin became hesitant and timid. MacBeth found ways to run that Franklin could not. Probably to busy learning to see the field better. Keeping him in and having his confidence shot would be a disaster.

That's all negated of course with the Bridge trade.

paulwoods13
08-27-2018, 07:42 AM
in your zeal to get me u forgot about facts
a tactic i used very successfully in my previous life
hee hee
do u really think that bridge is LESS cost effective that bridge as backup qb ?

Yeah, I really think bridge is LESS cost effective that bridge as backup QB. But maybe I forgot about facts, too.

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 07:45 AM
I believe Trestman sees Franklin as the long term starter. He just had to get him out of there and work on some things to improve. Franklin became hesitant and timid. MacBeth found ways to run that Franklin could not. Probably to busy learning to see the field better. Keeping him in and having his confidence shot would be a disaster.

That's all negated of course with the Bridge trade.
who is the 'him' u refer to in the last sentence ?
are u saying that bridge [a local gta big boy 6'5", 235lb] would fit right in ?

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I really think bridge is LESS cost effective that bridge as backup QB. But maybe I forgot about facts, too.

?????

paulwoods13
08-27-2018, 08:13 AM
?????

Read your own post. Oh yeah, you don't do that, do you?

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Read your own post. Oh yeah, you don't do that, do you?
u comprehend 'bridge is less cost effective than bridge' ?

'bridge is LESS cost effective that bridge'

lazycro
08-27-2018, 09:44 AM
u comprehend 'bridge is less cost effective than bridge' ?

'bridge is LESS cost effective that bridge'

To be fair, he is just using the wording you used in the post before his where you used Bridge twice in a sentence

AngeloV
08-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Trade him for a grass endzone.

Add 20 yard end zones too. That would negate the illegal stadium advantage we have

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 09:56 AM
To be fair, he is just using the wording you used in the post before his where you used Bridge twice in a sentence

great and thx, i have now edited/fixed the post
would have been useful to know which post but it is now fixed
i suffered/survived 2 strokes - that is my excuse for my errors in spelling and grammar
i don't see how my errors are justification to repeat them by others, but i learn new things each day
each day i am amazed how personal hate towards me justifies hateful posts
but i learn new things each day
no 1/4 asked, none given - is the motto i guess

Shatto
08-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Let's just accept we all make the occasional error in our posts ( I certainly do). Just about everyone on this site is an avid Argo fan (except for the infrequent troll) and we all enthusiastically want the team to do well Let's support each other even when we disagree on some particular point of view.

AngeloV
08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
I have no issue with grammatical errors. I take issue with ridiculous, repetitive posts. Why is it ok to criticize players and coaches, but not posters who do criticize these players or coaches?

paulwoods13
08-27-2018, 01:06 PM
i suffered/survived 2 strokes - that is my excuse for my errors in spelling and grammar
i don't see how my errors are justification to repeat them by others, but i learn new things each day

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't hate you (or any other poster here). But I do hate reading the same stuff over and over (Messam 2 tds blah blah). And I do hate reading nonsensical statements (like "bridge is less cost effective that bridge") that, even if they are innocent, honest mistakes, could have been caught by simply reading a post once over before pressing "Post Quick Reply." I've asked a couple of times if you read your own posts. You haven't answered and maybe you can't be bothered to do so. But I would suggest if you want to be treated more seriously, you consider a bit of self-editing, and try to follow the site's clearly established protocols for interaction. You might also familiarize yourself with how the "Quote" function works: when someone quotes a statement and then directly addresses that statement in a reply. Somehow the fact I was doing that with respect to your Bridge statement seems to have eluded you.

Argo57
08-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Most importantly I’m glad you made it through your medical issues and wish you continued good health!

Jon Gonzo
08-27-2018, 03:37 PM

and yet you have chastised others and called me stupid (which you quickly edited) for making a grammatical error. Maybe you reap what you sow?

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 03:46 PM
and yet you have chastised others and called me stupid (which you quickly edited) for making a grammatical error. Maybe you reap what you sow?

i think my new signature explains things

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 07:56 PM
winnipeg qb did not have a great game
i think they would really like franklin
3 way trade - bridge to argos, franklin to win, now does winnipeg have something to trade to ssk ?

Wobbler
09-02-2018, 08:05 PM
i think my new signature explains things
I just turned on "show signatures" for the first time in years, so I have no idea what your old signature was.

I don't think it explains anything. What does "no quarter asked, none given" mean in the context of a fan discussion board? It kinda sounds like "I don't expect others to be friendly, and don't plan to be friendly either". Please elaborate.

ArgoGabe22
09-02-2018, 08:09 PM
winnipeg qb did not have a great game
i think they would really like franklin
3 way trade - bridge to argos, franklin to win, now does winnipeg have something to trade to ssk ?

If Franklin “can’t play” in Trestman’s offence, what benefit is there, hypothetically speaking, in swapping Franklin for Bridge? Only reason is for cap reasons but no way Bridge would fit in. Won’t happen. Give up the dream.

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:11 PM
I just turned on "show signatures" for the first time in years, so I have no idea what your old signature was.

I don't think it explains anything. What does "no quarter asked, none given" mean in the context of a fan discussion board? It kinda sounds like "I don't expect others to be friendly, and don't plan to be friendly either". Please elaborate.

as a person who 'just turned on show signature' please do some reading rather than tell me to 'elaborate'
my time has value too

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Why would Winnipeg want to trade assets for Franklin when they've got a pretty good younger QB in Streveler ?
And why would we want Bridge who struggled with the exact same offensive system in Sask ?

I think Franklin will eventually leave or be traded, but at this point Winnipeg makes zero sense - as does the Argos acquiring Bridge.

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:16 PM
If Franklin “can’t play” in Trestman’s offence, what benefit is there, hypothetically speaking, in swapping Franklin for Bridge? Only reason is for cap reasons but no way Bridge would fit in. Won’t happen. Give up the dream.

bridge is cdn [local gta boy] and would help argos with ratio
and
i think bridge [6'5", 235lbs] is a better runner than franklin [6'2", 225lbs]
and therefore a better person to control the short yardage offence
bombers haave lost 3 in a row an are at 5-6, in danger to miss playoffs

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:24 PM
bridge is cdn [local gta boy] and would help argos with ratio
and
i think bridge [6'5", 235lbs] is a better runner than franklin [6'2", 225lbs]
and therefore a better person to control the short yardage offence
bombers haave lost 3 in a row an are at 5-6, in danger to miss playoffs
How would Bridge help the Argos with the ratio if as a QB he doesn't count as a CDN in the ratio ?
Prukop is a better runner than Franklin and yet Trestman still has Franklin out there on short yardage.

Do you even have any idea about what you're talking about or are you just stating random things because you want Bridge and Messam here ? Not to mention how Trestman has become your new Chris Rudge.

Argo57
09-02-2018, 08:45 PM
How would Bridge help the Argos with the ratio if as a QB he doesn't count as a CDN in the ratio ?
Prukop is a better runner than Franklin and yet Trestman still has Franklin out there on short yardage.

Do you even have any idea about what you're talking about or are you just stating random things because you want Bridge and Messam here ? Not to mention how Trestman has become your new Chris Rudge.

This thread really is a load of crap.

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:46 PM

franklin [$250k + $90k is possible playoff $], the argos BACKUP QB, makes more $ than macbeth who is starting
i see that as a problem
maybe u don't
also bridge [ $150,800 in “hard money”. There is $63,000 in playtime incentives] is cdn and would help the argos w/ ratio

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:49 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't hate you (or any other poster here). But I do hate reading the same stuff over and over (Messam 2 tds blah blah). And I do hate reading nonsensical statements (like "bridge is less cost effective that bridge") that, even if they are innocent, honest mistakes, could have been caught by simply reading a post once over before pressing "Post Quick Reply." I've asked a couple of times if you read your own posts. You haven't answered and maybe you can't be bothered to do so. But I would suggest if you want to be treated more seriously, you consider a bit of self-editing, and try to follow the site's clearly established protocols for interaction. You might also familiarize yourself with how the "Quote" function works: when someone quotes a statement and then directly addresses that statement in a reply. Somehow the fact I was doing that with respect to your Bridge statement seems to have eluded you.

sorry, but u do know that strokes can affect reading comprehension
but as i stated, my new sig explains things

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:50 PM

yet u reply

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:51 PM
franklin [$250k + $90k is possible playoff $], the argos BACKUP QB, makes more $ than macbeth who is starting
i see that as a problem
maybe u don't
also bridge [ $150,800 in “hard money”. There is $63,000 in playtime incentives] is cdn and would help the argos w/ ratio
WTF are you talking about now ?

Bridge would also be making more than Bethel Thompson. And once again him being a QB Bridge does not count as part of the ratio, so how exactly does he help the Argos with the ratio.

Argo57
09-02-2018, 08:54 PM

Bridge would also be making more than Bethel Thompson. And once again him being a QB Bridge does not count as part of the ratio, so how exactly does he help the Argos with the ratio.

RJ.
Tap out now, you are being sucked into the stupidity vortex.

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:55 PM
All one has to do it look at who started the thread. I for one have grown tired of his schtick; just as I did when he wouldn't get off of his Chris Rudge posts as Rocket.

FWIW, I do think Franklin will most likely be gone at least when his contract ends.. maybe sooner.

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:58 PM
RJ.
Tap out now, you are being sucked into the stupidity vortex.
Probably right; I should just let the mods handle this, but this idiocy has gone on long enough IMO.

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 08:59 PM

i think franklin is way too expensive to run the short yardage offence
he had a stint as starting qb here in toronto - kinda failed
franklin is more expensive than bridge [next yr give macbeth a raise]
i think the nfl window is closing on bridge, i worry he would not sign a 2 yr extension w/ argos, w/ AAF looming

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 09:02 PM
All one has to do it look at who started the thread. I for one have grown tired of his schtick; just as I did when he wouldn't get off of his Chris Rudge posts as Rocket.

FWIW, I do think Franklin will most likely be gone at least when his contract ends.. maybe sooner.

i was NEVER on this site w/ a different acct name
macspectrum has and was always my acct name - sorry to upset your 'logic'

ArgoGabe22
09-02-2018, 09:13 PM
i was NEVER on this site w/ a different acct name
macspectrum has and was always my acct name - sorry to upset your 'logic'

Confirmed. He’s not Rocket.

macspectrum
09-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Confirmed. He’s not Rocket.
thx !
let's see who else i might have been, maybe in a previous life like shirley mclain ?

Wobbler
09-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Sorry that this took so long. My bad.

AngeloV
09-03-2018, 12:50 PM
i think franklin is way too expensive to run the short yardage offence
he had a stint as starting qb here in toronto - kinda failed
franklin is more expensive than bridge [next yr give macbeth a raise]
i think the nfl window is closing on bridge, i worry he would not sign a 2 yr extension w/ argos, w/ AAF looming

😂😂😂

What NFL window? Sorry dude, NFL never had any consideration in a 50.7% college passer.

Antwon
09-03-2018, 10:10 PM


What NFL window? Sorry dude, NFL never had any consideration in a 50.7% college passer.

Franklin is the future. MBT showed tonight he is not. Trestman needs to watch the game again and watch over and over how Masolli moved the pocket, bought time and made plays. His offence game plan needs to adjust for a mobile QB.

R.J
09-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Franklin is the future. MBT showed tonight he is not. Trestman needs to watch the game again and watch over and over how Masolli moved the pocket, bought time and made plays. His offence game plan needs to adjust for a mobile QB.
You realize that you're talking about Marc Trestman right ?

OV Argo
09-04-2018, 09:57 PM


FYI - Bridge did go to an NFL camp (rookie version even?) - with Detroit i think it was, and he was on some NFL draft prospects boards at QB; so saying he "never had any NFL consideration" is incorrect. NFL deep thinkers (a few of them anyways) would always give some "consideration" to a 6-5 athletic/mobile QB with rocket arm strength and who had a bunch of starts in Div I ball down there.

OTOH - CFL deep thinkers gave zero consideration to a top CIS QB (some all-time best passing #s (i.e. not 50 % but up there in all-time best career completion % #s), Vanier winner and pro QB size & mobility and who was a starter from rookie on in) like Laval's Hugo Richard - zero look what-so-ever to even compete in a CFL TC.

R.J
09-16-2018, 01:23 PM
I think Saskatchewan will move on from Collaros in the off season. So, I wonder if Jones will try to acquire Franklin this season or in the off season ?

Would be a good move for Sask as I think Franklin still a good QB with huge upside, and it's pretty clear that Trestman doesn't care for Franklin. I wouldn't be against the move as I'd rather not see guys like Franklin and Prukop waste away here with a Coach who has little use for them.

Argo57
09-16-2018, 03:56 PM
I think Saskatchewan will move on from Collaros in the off season. So, I wonder if Jones will try to acquire Franklin this season or in the off season ?

Would be a good move for Sask as I think Franklin still a good QB with huge upside, and it's pretty clear that Trestman doesn't care for Franklin. I wouldn't be against the move as I'd rather not see guys like Franklin and Prukop waste away here with a Coach who has little use for them.

What is the term of Franklin’s Toronto contract?

R.J
09-16-2018, 04:31 PM
What is the term of Franklin’s Toronto contract?
Two years.

Lots of FA QB's this upcoming off season though; I wouldn't even be surprised if some left for the AAF. Could be a very different CFL next season; hence why I think Franklin could be on the move.

AngeloV
09-16-2018, 07:27 PM

You think it's clear Trestman doesn't care for Franklin. I don't share those thoughts. I see a coach that felt he wasn't getting enough from the position, made a change and has received better play at this point. Trestman has said that he still has a lot of confidence in Franklin. It really is up to Franklin to take better advantage the next opportunity he gets, and I believe he will. And BTW, Bethel-Thompson is not under contract next year at this time while Franklin is.

R.J
09-16-2018, 07:40 PM
You think it's clear Trestman doesn't care for Franklin. I don't share those thoughts. I see a coach that felt he wasn't getting enough from the position, made a change and has received better play at this point. Trestman has said that he still has a lot of confidence in Franklin. It really is up to Franklin to take better advantage the next opportunity he gets, and I believe he will. And BTW, Bethel-Thompson is not under contract next year at this time while Franklin is.
You really think Trestman would let Thompson go ?

Argo57
09-16-2018, 08:41 PM

Personally I don’t see Franklin being moved anywhere, MBT has played decently but I don’t see him as the future starter.

AngeloV
09-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Last I checked Trestman didn't negotiate contracts. I think this MBT being his boy thing that you believe is dead wrong. If it was fact, he would have been #2 on the depth chart from the get go. He (Franklin) struggled, and MBT has led the team to it's 5 highest point totals this season in his 5 starts. There is no conspiracy here.

AngeloV
09-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Personally I don’t see Franklin being moved anywhere, MBT has played decently but I don’t see him as the future starter.

I agree, but as I have said on more than 1 occasion, he has proven that he belongs in the league, and will be a more than serviceable back up. Perhaps the best back up in the league.

R.J
09-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Last I checked Trestman didn't negotiate contracts. I think this MBT being his boy thing that you believe is dead wrong. If it was fact, he would have been #2 on the depth chart from the get go. He (Franklin) struggled, and MBT has led the team to it's 5 highest point totals this season in his 5 starts. There is no conspiracy here.
Care to wager a NewEra jersey next season that Bethel-Thompson will be back ?

Best back-up in the League ?
Lulay - Jennings (pick one), Glenn, Bridge, and Franklin have all done way more than Thompson has in his career. Has Thompson already earned a jersey retirement ?

Interesting how you overlook all the garage time stats that Thompson has.

gilthethrill
09-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Lulay - Jennings (pick one), Glenn, Bridge, and Franklin have all done way more than Thompson has in his career. Has Thompson already earned a jersey retirement ?

My question is not if MBT will be back next year....if the Argos miss the playoffs, which is likely...will Popp and or Trestman be back?

R.J
09-16-2018, 11:59 PM
My question is not if MBT will be back next year....if the Argos miss the playoffs, which is likely...will Popp and or Trestman be back?
I think both have another year on their contracts, but if not it wouldn't surprise me, nor would I be against it. Or, would MLSE give them the boot with a year left on their contracts and because it happens before January 1st, it doesn't count on the new football ops cap ? I wonder how the new cap works... do fired ops individuals count ?

So, in saying that, I'd like to change the wager to be if Trestman's back: I'll wager a NewEra jersey that McBLT is back lol.
I think things change if Trestman's out. People tend to forget that Thompson only came to us due to a Popp trade with Winnipeg.

gilthethrill
09-17-2018, 07:19 AM
I think both have another year on their contracts, but if not it wouldn't surprise me, nor would I be against it. Or, would MLSE give them the boot with a year left on their contracts and because it happens before January 1st, it doesn't count on the new football ops cap ? I wonder how the new cap works... do fired ops individuals count ?

So, in saying that, I'd like to change the wager to be if Trestman's back: I'll wager a NewEra jersey that McBLT is back lol.
I think things change if Trestman's out. People tend to forget that Thompson only came to us due to a Popp trade with Winnipeg.

I thought MBT was on the Winnipeg PR for a month 2 seasons ago, released and signed as a FA by the Argos. What trade are you referring to?

R.J
09-17-2018, 09:20 AM
I thought MBT was on the Winnipeg PR for a month 2 seasons ago, released and signed as a FA by the Argos. What trade are you referring to?
http://3downnation.com/2017/06/07/neg-list-trade-with-bombers-lands-argos-intriguing-quarterback/

AngeloV
09-17-2018, 10:15 AM

You are too much. He has been better than Jennings and Bridge this year (and if you disagree, there is no use even continuing this dialogue), Lulay is nearing the end and since he is the starter, a moot point, as is Glenn. As for garbage time stats, I don't get your point. Argos were in every game into the 4th quarter that he has started. It's interesting to me how you twist things when it comes to QB's whose styles of play you don't like.

R.J
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM
You are too much. He has been better than Jennings and Bridge this year (and if you disagree, there is no use even continuing this dialogue), Lulay is nearing the end and since he is the starter, a moot point, as is Glenn. As for garbage time stats, I don't get your point. Argos were in every game into the 4th quarter than he has started. It's interesting to me how you twist things when it comes to QB's whose styles of play you don't like.
EDIT: Forget it I can see where this debate will go....

gilthethrill
09-17-2018, 11:39 AM
http://3downnation.com/2017/06/07/neg-list-trade-with-bombers-lands-argos-intriguing-quarterback/

Interesting. ..MBT bio on the Argo site missed that.....I must say, that is a good trade by Popp to get a decent qb for a neg list player who has yet (and most likely wont) to show up.

Argo57
09-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Grey Cup year#1 in Toronto followed by a decidedly off year in their second year I think they deserve another chance.
First priority in the off season should be finding a DC with a clue, I would alsO like to see more influence from Condell with the Argo offence.
Both Popp and Trestman’s track records are too good to give up on them.

R.J
09-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Grey Cup year#1 in Toronto followed by a decidedly off year in their second year I think they deserve another chance.
First priority in the off season should be finding a DC with a clue, I would also like to see more influence from Condell with the Argo offence.
Both Popp and Trestman’s track records are too good to give up on them.
A word of caution: Lots of people wanted to keep Barker and Milanvocih around longer due to the 2012 GC win; I don't think that worked out too well.
I wouldn't hold my breath on Condell having more influence or control over the offense with Trestman around. Boggles my mind when I hear people say he should be fired too (not that you are obviously); Condell's offence looks nothing like this, and the live mic games have shown who's calling the plays.

Argo57
09-17-2018, 08:39 PM
A word of caution: Lots of people wanted to keep Barker and Milanvocih around longer due to the 2012 GC win; I don't think that worked out too well.
I wouldn't hold my breath on Condell having more influence or control over the offense with Trestman around. Boggles my mind when I hear people say he should be fired too (not that you are obviously); Condell's offence looks nothing like this, and the live mic games have shown who's calling the plays.

Barker and Milanovich had 5 seasons to let things play out, Popp and Trestman are half way through their second season (following a Grey Cup Championship), a little premature to consider running them out of town IMO.
Both have multiple Grey Cups and haven’t become dumb and incompetent in a few short months, would be a stupid mistake if it happened.

R.J
09-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Barker and Milanovich had 5 seasons to let things play out, Popp and Trestman are half way through their second season (following a Grey Cup Championship), a little premature to consider running them out of town IMO.
Both have multiple Grey Cups and haven’t become dumb and incompetent in a few short months, would be a stupid mistake if it happened.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, and I understand the time line is different, but my point essentially is that we shouldn't let 1 fluke Grey Cup win cloud judgement either. Milanovich and Barker got 4 years living off the 2012 Grey Cup; how much should Popp and Trestman get ?

ArgoGabe22
09-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Hasn’t a high turnover of coaches and GMs been a problem for the Argos ever since Pinball left? Argos finally get someone worth sticking with for the time being and we want them gone? Going back to square one with a revolving door of coaches and GMs every 2 seasons won’t solve anything. Chris Jones didn’t build the Riders in one day and is still trying to work things out. I hope MLSE isn’t quick to pull the plug.

OV Argo
09-17-2018, 10:45 PM

Did you miss Popp's last few seasons at the helm in Montreal ???

He was a welcome hire here for some in a package with Trestman for a team in desperate mode and looking to turn to typical, g, er - nevermind - CFL "experience".

The list of same old, standard party line hacks who have been part of a GC winning team in a 9 team CFL is pretty lengthy IMO. Ned Flanders Higgins, Cory Chamblin, Danny Maciocia, Kenty Austin, and of course Jimbo & Scotty M, etc, etc, - they could all be running the Argos too now and some would be quite happy with them if they had pulled off a GC win season, followed by a worst team in the league type season.

Consistent, solid, smart football - in coaching/ play-calling AND personnel recruiting & decisions, is another matter, IMO.

R.J
09-17-2018, 10:55 PM

He was a welcome hire here for some in a package with Trestman for a team in desperate mode and looking to turn to typical, g, er - nevermind - CFL "experience".

The list of same old, standard party line hacks who have been part of a GC winning team in a 9 team CFL is pretty lengthy IMO. Ned Flanders Higgins, Cory Chamblin, Danny Maciocia, Kenty Austin, etc, etc, - they could all be running the Argos too now and some would be quite happy with them if they had pulled off a GC win season, followed by a worst team in the league type season.

Consistent, solid, smart football - in coaching/ play-calling AND personnel recruiting & decisions, is another matter, IMO.
Popp's track record was pretty good his first 15 years, but it went downhill after that. His last decent draft IMO was around 2006. Popp's draft record so far in T.O is sub par IMO.

Trestman has a pretty good track record in the CFL which is obviously heavily inflated by his early Montreal days, but one thing that's always overlooked is while Trestman does jump start a team's offence in his first year (again exception being Montreal); it goes downhill pretty quickly after that. Trestman also notably only lasts about 2 years everywhere he's gone with exception to Montreal.

I don't think I'll ever understand as to why mediocrity is so popular around here. Nor how 1 Grey Cup win means we have the bestest bunch in history.

Argo57
09-18-2018, 07:34 AM

The list of same old, standard party line hacks who have been part of a GC winning team in a 9 team CFL is pretty lengthy IMO. Ned Flanders Higgins, Cory Chamblin, Danny Maciocia, Kenty Austin, and of course Jimbo & Scotty M, etc, etc, - they could all be running the Argos too now and some would be quite happy with them if they had pulled off a GC win season, followed by a worst team in the league type season.

Actually no I didn’t OV, sure let’s boot Popp and Trestman out of town a few months after winning a Grey Cup.....sounds like a good long term vision for this franchise.
This year looks like a write off so let’s at least give them until the end of the 2019 season to turn it around.
BTW name some better candidates for coach and GM?

Argo57
09-18-2018, 07:40 AM
Popp's track record was pretty good his first 15 years, but it went downhill after that. His last decent draft IMO was around 2006. Popp's draft record so far in T.O is sub par IMO.

Trestman has a pretty good track record in the CFL which is obviously heavily inflated by his early Montreal days, but one thing that's always overlooked is while Trestman does jump start a team's offence in his first year (again exception being Montreal); it goes downhill pretty quickly after that. Trestman also notably only lasts about 2 years everywhere he's gone with exception to Montreal.

I don't think I'll ever understand as to why mediocrity is so popular around here. Nor how 1 Grey Cup win means we have the bestest bunch in history.

Trestman: 6 CFL season’s (3 Grey Cups).......meh, ok I guess?

paulwoods13
09-18-2018, 07:42 AM
So it's "acceptance of mediocrity" to be willing to let the coach and GM have more than 1.67 seasons at the helm. What does that make the other viewpoint? "Acceptance of perpetual rebuild"?

AngeloV
09-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Actually no I didn’t OV, sure let’s boot Popp and Trestman out of town a few months after winning a Grey Cup.....sounds like a good long term vision for this franchise.
This year looks like a write off so let’s at least give them until the end of the 2019 season to turn it around.

I'm still not willing to consider this season a write off. I think the additions of Carter and Knox will both have a significant impact, and fully expect the Argos to go 5-2 down the stretch. I believe 8-10 will get them in.

OV Argo
09-18-2018, 12:51 PM

I didn't say boot BOTH; I would love to see Popp go though - he's same old/same old CFL stuff - and his signings and drafts overall recently are iffy at best - and I (for one) am sick of same old stuff and CFL recycling.; Trestman could get another year, but if it's as lousy as this one, then he could get lost too IMO.

You honestly believe only same old, standard party line thinkers & retreads are qualified for CFL GM or HC jobs ??? - there are tons of very experienced Canadian football people out there. But hey - maybe instead, the Argos could talk good ole Wally out of retiring and give him a 10 year contract ?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8