PDA

View Full Version : Time to convert BMO to Turf ?

cfl-cis fan
08-26-2018, 11:56 AM
my thoughts given Giovinco complaints, convert BMO to turf, or better yet move TFC to Rogers where they can sell out :shhhh:

ArgoFan1
08-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Sell out??
Have you seen the TFC crowds this year? Similar to Argo games.

gilthethrill
08-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Something must be done immediately to keep Giovinco from being driven to tears. Soccer players are much, much more important that the CFL players that compete at BMO.

Argo57
08-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Turf hurts too much when they flop to the ground.

smokeslet'sgo
08-26-2018, 01:23 PM
I honestly could care less what this whiney little rat thinks. He means nothing to me and TFC means nothing to me

Mightygoose
08-26-2018, 02:47 PM
An Giovenco is complaining about TFC II being there too?

As long as the prospects of hosting World Cup games exist, turf doesn't make any sense. Otherwise, the window to do it just past.

Shatto
08-26-2018, 04:06 PM
So let's get this straight----MLSE put in new turf this year, which incidentally caused the Argos to have to move their home exhibition game to Guelph, in order to give TFC, the best possible playing surface for Giovenco and colleagues. Now, he is complaining the surface has sand on it and he shouldn't have to play on any field where another team (Argos) also play.

Meanwhile the north end zone playing surface is still a disgrace and criticized by CFL players and Ambrosie as an unacceptable playing surface. Frankly I'm getting tired of Giovenco's complaints. BMO is a city owned stadium which MLSE, the owner of both the Argos and TFC, manages. It again appears that the Argos a being treated as second class citizens. It is time, the team had it own president, who has only one priority ---the well being of the team and its fans.

gilthethrill
08-26-2018, 04:26 PM
This is not possible!!! Sniff sniff😣😣😣

Shatto
08-26-2018, 06:51 PM
If you go on the TFC forum you will find many still don't like the Argos at BMO.

Argo57
08-26-2018, 07:06 PM
If you go on the TFC forum you will find many still don't like the Argos at BMO.

Like I’ve always said their sense of stadium entitlement is amazing.

lazycro
08-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Reading the forum it looks like a grassmaster field will be installed this year end.

lazycro
08-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Tfc forum sorry on mobile

R.J
08-26-2018, 07:48 PM
LOL
A soccer player whining... who knew ?

macspectrum
08-26-2018, 08:39 PM
LOL
A soccer player whining... who knew ?

lol !

jerrym
08-26-2018, 11:02 PM
How about converting Giovinco to turf!

ArgoRavi
08-26-2018, 11:58 PM

Is there not some league elsewhere in the world that will take this guy? He may be the whiniest pro athlete in Toronto sports history.

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 12:15 AM

one of the best things i have read in a while !

gilthethrill
08-27-2018, 05:48 AM
one of the best things i have read in a while !

I would say the Franklin to Winnipeg thread is funnier.

CFLfan
08-31-2018, 04:29 PM
Is there not some league elsewhere in the world that will take this guy? He may be the whiniest pro athlete in Toronto sports history.

Well we now have Duron Carter and he could be a close second, just wait until he starts his whining and sulking on the sidelines.

Shatto
08-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Giovinco's comments about the field have made TFC fans become apoplectic. The TFC fan forum has many posters demanding the Argos be moved into Lamport stadium to protect their precious turf. They really do seem to dislike us being in BMO--terms like "I loather the Argos" are used. Actually many of the comments are quite funny --like referring to 300lb linebackers! They really believe they have a right to be at BMO as the only tenant. However they don't appear to object to the rugby quite as much if a game were played at BMO.

Their objections are so aggressive and so far over the top, it makes one wonder why they are so angry at us being in the city owned BMO stadium. Could it be fear, that if the Argos start to get improved attendance at the games, along with TV numbers for the Argos about ten times the TFC numbers, they will realize that TFC and MLS really are a far less popular sport in Canada than the CFL and Argos. Who knows but the venom from the TFC fans is so overwhelming on the Fan site that one has to question why the are they so unreasonably angry--does Argo success frighten them? Perhaps

AngeloV
08-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Not to defend TFC fans, but the reactions of the couple of hundred radical idiots in their jock strap...er support groups, likely is not how the majority of their fans feel.

Shatto
08-31-2018, 10:10 PM
AngeloV makes an excellent point and I concur, perhaps a majority don't necessarily agree with the views of those on the TFC fan site. It is the extreme anger and loathing towards the Argos that seems so inexplicable and in some cases so ludicrous and in some other cases so laughable

smokeslet'sgo
09-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Giovinco's comments about the field have made TFC fans become apoplectic. The TFC fan forum has many posters demanding the Argos be moved into Lamport stadium to protect their precious turf. They really do seem to dislike us being in BMO--terms like "I loather the Argos" are used. Actually many of the comments are quite funny --like referring to 300lb linebackers! They really believe they have a right to be at BMO as the only tenant. However they don't appear to object to the rugby quite as much if a game were played at BMO.

Their objections are so aggressive and so far over the top, it makes one wonder why they are so angry at us being in the city owned BMO stadium. Could it be fear, that if the Argos start to get improved attendance at the games, along with TV numbers for the Argos about ten times the TFC numbers, they will realize that TFC and MLS really are a far less popular sport in Canada than the CFL and Argos. Who knows but the venom from the TFC fans is so overwhelming on the Fan site that one has to question why the are they so unreasonably angry--does Argo success frighten them? Perhaps

Personally I don't give a you know what what they think. I've never read the forums, I've never watched a TFC game, I've never even known a TFC fan except one guy I played hockey with, and the 2016 Argo home opener was the first time I had ever stepped foot in BMO field. Honestly, when you just ignore them and don't even acknowledge that they exist, it makes your life so much better. They have zero impact on the city sporting landscape, they think they're on par with the Leafs Jays and Raptors but they aren't. They're on the same level as us, and they hate that. I've already talked more about TFC in this comment than I have in my whole life

Argo57
09-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Personally I don't give a you know what what they think. I've never read the forums, I've never watched a TFC game, I've never even known a TFC fan except one guy I played hockey with, and the 2016 Argo home opener was the first time I had ever stepped foot in BMO field. Honestly, when you just ignore them and don't even acknowledge that they exist, it makes your life so much better. They have zero impact on the city sporting landscape, they think they're on par with the Leafs Jays and Raptors but they aren't. They're on the same level as us, and they hate that. I've already talked more about TFC in this comment than I have in my whole life

^^^^^^^^👍

R.J
09-02-2018, 08:21 PM
From my understanding MLSE will probably go with the Desso Grassmaster in the off season.

Neely2005
09-03-2018, 08:07 AM
An Giovenco is complaining about TFC II being there too?

As long as the prospects of hosting World Cup games exist, turf doesn't make any sense. Otherwise, the window to do it just past.

If hybrid turf is good enough for the EPL then it's good enough for a 10th rate soccer league like MLS.

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/football-pitch-grass-types/

Neely2005
09-03-2018, 08:13 AM

These are the same morons that trashed their own precious BMO Field, told a female reporter RIITP and almost set themselves on fire with fireworks in Ottawa. They're misogynist losers.

CFLfan
09-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Getting back to the end zone turf problem, why is it a concern now? I don't remember any complaints in the first year or when the Argos hosted the Grey Cup two years ago or last season. What has changed?

AngeloV
09-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Getting back to the end zone turf problem, why is it a concern now? I don't remember any complaints in the first year or when the Argos hosted the Grey Cup two years ago or last season. What has changed?

There have been complaints since day 1.

ArgoRavi
09-03-2018, 05:02 PM
There have been complaints since day 1.

They do seem to have worsened this season though.

jerrym
09-08-2018, 04:03 PM
BMT slipped on the end zone turf and then avoided going into the end zone on the next play to pass, although the game was already lost.

paulwoods13
09-08-2018, 05:03 PM
I got on the field for the first time today. It looked to me as if the turf portion is old-fashioned Astro turf style, not field turf. That is, very short fake grass over a rock-hard underlay. Now I understand why players complain -- there is zero chance that any grass or field-turf-style cleat will work well on that turf. So at minimum MLSE needs to install more grass-like turf at that end.

gilthethrill
09-08-2018, 09:05 PM
I got on the field for the first time today. It looked to me as if the turf portion is old-fashioned Astro turf style, not field turf. That is, very short fake grass over a rock-hard underlay. Now I understand why players complain -- there is zero chance that any grass or field-turf-style cleat will work well on that turf. So at minimum MLSE needs to install more grass-like turf at that end.

Did you run some patterns Paul?? 😁

paulwoods13
09-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Did you run some patterns Paul?? 😁those days are loooooong gone ...

Wobbler
09-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Bethel Thompson's reluctance to drop into the endzone in garbage time was very noticeable in the broadcast.

ArgoZ
09-08-2018, 09:56 PM

I've said this before. Artificial turf is not perfect, but the type they have at BMO is aweful. Proper field turf would reduce the slipping significantly. I used to wear soccer cleats (not spikes) on field turf and they worked great. If BMO does go with Grassmaster/hybrid turf next year, the endzones with upgraded Field Turf would match well.

paulwoods13
09-09-2018, 08:02 AM
I've said this before. Artificial turf is not perfect, but the type they have at BMO is aweful. Proper field turf would reduce the slipping significantly. I used to wear soccer cleats (not spikes) on field turf and they worked great. If BMO does go with Grassmaster/hybrid turf next year, the endzones with upgraded Field Turf would match well.

Whether BMO switches to hybrid or stays with grass (and I still believe the latter), a Field-Turf-type product in the end zone would match it much better than the 1970s-style turf that is there now.

Argo57
09-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Whether BMO switches to hybrid or stays with grass (and I still believe the latter), a Field-Turf-type product in the end zone would match it much better than the 1970s-style turf that is there now.

When you consider the overall cost of the stadium renovation it’s amazing that they seemed to cut corners on the end zone turf.

Argofan_1000
09-09-2018, 08:33 AM

I would like the field size changed in the CFL. It would take care of this type of problem league wide and the game would not change.

Make the size of the field 60 yards wide X 100 yards long with 15 yard end zones and hash marks on the 2 goal posts. I know some of you won't be able to sleep now but the game itself won't change when you think about it.

Also lets get rid of the on field ratio juggling by getting rid of this rule, keep the team ratio but let the situation determine who plays on the field. It's the next step in the evolution of this game.

Liked the game yesterday even though we lost. Had some young folks with me and they were entertained all game. The Game - music - cheer teams - bands - games - freebees - kiss cams - they liked all of it.

Shatto
09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
On the Hamilton station they were talking about how bad the north end surface is for players. Seems it is widely known by other teams that the surface is unacceptable. There is nothing that can be done this year but it would be nice if someone from MLSE, would let us know their plans to solve the problem.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2018, 10:46 PM
On the Hamilton station they were talking about how bad the north end surface is for players. Seems it is widely known by other teams that the surface is unacceptable. There is nothing that can be done this year but it would be nice if someone from MLSE, would let us know their plans to solve the problem.

At this point, I doubt that MLSE even knows what their plans are to resolve this issue.

Topshelf
09-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Even if they go hybrid they still would need an artificial end zone I'd assume.
That said, its bizarre why they cant have a better fake surface back there. Surely theres a solution that's more consistent footing than the one currently in place.
The field has been noticeably poor this season for TFC. While a return to full artificial would cause riots, I think the hybrid solution would be better received.
With the world cup down the line the grass isnt going away

Neely2005
09-10-2018, 11:52 AM
I would like the field size changed in the CFL. It would take care of this type of problem league wide and the game would not change.

Make the size of the field 60 yards wide X 100 yards long with 15 yard end zones and hash marks on the 2 goal posts. I know some of you won't be able to sleep now but the game itself won't change when you think about it.

Also lets get rid of the on field ratio juggling by getting rid of this rule, keep the team ratio but let the situation determine who plays on the field. It's the next step in the evolution of this game.

Liked the game yesterday even though we lost. Had some young folks with me and they were entertained all game. The Game - music - cheer teams - bands - games - freebees - kiss cams - they liked all of it.

And do you want them to switch to 4 downs too? And put the goalposts at the back of the endzones?

gee
09-13-2018, 01:50 PM

I like your thought on field dimensions. I was just thinking that if the CFL ever tried US expansion again they should have those dimensions as an option. opens up the small MLS stadiums as potential homes rather than trying to move into an over-sized football stadium.

paulwoods13
09-13-2018, 02:08 PM
I love the size of Cdn football fields, but there is no question that size severely limits options for play in stadiums built for other purposes. Randy Ambrosie has the laudable goal of getting Cdn football played abroad, but I would think there won't be a lot of stadiums available that could accommodate the full length of our field, since soccer stadiums are generally built to accommodate shorter fields. The larger field is also less attractive as a TV spectacle, IMO. Before anyone accuses me of wanting to go to four downs, let me restate -- I love the size of Cdn football fields. But that size is not without its drawbacks.

ArgoZ
09-13-2018, 06:45 PM
The NFL has outgrown their field dimensions. If they were to widen the field, would people be complaining that they are becoming too Canadian? They have already copied many modern Canadian trends (5 receiver sets, heavy pass orientations). Games evolve. I’ve illustrated how the Canadian game has implemented impactful American rules (forward pass, down and distance). Fans should not be afraid of change. Can you imagine if we didn’t have forward passing because it’s copying the Americans?

CFL fields are relics. No need for 110 yards. I like the current width but shaving 5 yards would only make the field look more proportionate. 15 yard end zone with posts at the back is also a sensible idea. None of these changes would change our game significantly. Missed FG Rouge would finally get eliminated too.

Argofan_1000
09-13-2018, 07:09 PM
The NFL has outgrown their field dimensions. If they were to widen the field, would people be complaining that they are becoming too Canadian? They have already copied many modern Canadian trends (5 receiver sets, heavy pass orientations). Games evolve. I’ve illustrated how the Canadian game has implemented impactful American rules (forward pass, down and distance). Fans should not be afraid of change. Can you imagine if we didn’t have forward passing because it’s copying the Americans?

CFL fields are relics. No need for 110 yards. I like the current width but shaving 5 yards would only make the field look more proportionate. 15 yard end zone with posts at the back is also a sensible idea. None of these changes would change our game significantly. Missed FG Rouge would finally get eliminated too.

league should maybe experiment a little during preseason and it will forever have these games as reference on youtube or where ever. We can all think of a few other things that could be tried. How much buzz will it create? probably a lot. I don't think the game will change but it may present a better TV product and field size fits better into all stadiums.

paulwoods13
09-13-2018, 09:11 PM
I don't think the game will change but it may present a better TV product and field size fits better into all stadiums.

Except that all current CFL stadiums would be made worse by shrinking the field size -- stands would become farther away from the field. So CFL is caught -- its existing infrastructure works best for its current teams, but it would not work in any country that has stadiums built for American football or soccer.

argolio
10-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Giovanni is at it again.
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/04/toronto-fc-striker-sebastian-giovinco-calls-bmo-playing-surface-amateur/

Shatto
10-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Giovanni is correct that the BMO field is not a professional field. However, the major unacceptable and amateur aspect of the field, is the north end zone, where CFL players are subjected to a playing surface which unsuitable for professional football.

argos1873
10-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Oh good lord. Giovanni. Its not as good as in Europe? I'm sure you have tears when you cash your pay cheque, wondering how you put up with such hardships. My heart bleeds for you Giovanni! I want your life to be better. What can we do FOR YOU!?? What?? F off.

gilthethrill
10-05-2018, 05:25 AM
Giovanni fails to mention that adding several irrelevant "Championship Matches" to an already long, drawn out, lets get this thing over MLS season is hard on the field. Twit.

ArgoGabe22
10-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Giovanni fails to mention that adding several irrelevant "Championship Matches" to an already long, drawn out, lets get this thing over MLS season is hard on the field. Twit.

The MLS season, including all of the other competitions, seems to never end. I don't recall a true offseason. Maybe the turf isn't great, it didn't look good vs Saskatchewan but the Argo aren't the problem.

AngeloV
10-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Lmfao: giovanni

argolio
10-05-2018, 11:29 PM
The MLS season, including all of the other competitions, seems to never end. I don't recall a true offseason. Maybe the turf isn't great, it didn't look good vs Saskatchewan but the Argo aren't the problem.It's sort of like Davis Cup tennis. You can't tell when it starts or ends.

RB957
10-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Lmfao: giovanni

you say potatoe, I say potatow, you say tomatoe, I say tomatow.... giovanni, giovinco, giovanni, giovinco... let's call the whole thing off!!!

AngeloV
10-06-2018, 01:01 PM
you say potatoe, I say potatow, you say tomatoe, I say tomatow.... giovanni, giovinco, giovanni, giovinco... let's call the whole thing off!!!

Awesome. Let's go with Crybaby G. Would that make him a certified G? How you doin?

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 11:10 AM
With both TFC and the Argos eliminated from the playoffs, I did some checking (for the heck of it) and found that in the current MLS standings, of the 12 teams currently in the playoffs, 3 play on artificial turf fields (Atlanta, Portland & Seattle). Two teams still in contention, Vancouver and New England, also play on the fake stuff. So that's 5 teams that fared better than TFC this year who play on artificial turf for their home games. In fact, in the last 5 years, Seattle has made the MLS Cup final twice (1 win/1 loss) and won the Supporters Shield (best reg. season record) in 2014. In 2015, Portland won the MLS Cup and in 2014 the Cup runner-up was New England. Clearly, then, teams can attract quality talent and be very competitive in MLS using a home field that is artificial turf.

Let me go on record: I prefer a grass field for both CFL and MLS games, but I am a realist. We live in Canada, and expecting a grass field (even a hybrid one) told hold up under TFC's year-round use while sharing with the Argos in summer and fall is ridiculous. Switch to an artificial surface now.

Treblecharger1
10-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Bill Manning had a meeting with Season Seat Holders with TFC who were on the fence about renewing before last home game:

A couple of Argo related tidbits from that meeting:

- Hybrid Turf is going in this season at a cost of 1.6 million
- This was the only year that the grass has been an issue with the Argos. But not really fault of the Argos and had more to do with the grass not getting a chance to set root.
- Argos have more crossover with the Leafs
- Much easier that he runs both operations
- 12 EPL teams share a stadium with a rugby or NFL team

AngeloV
10-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Bill Manning had a meeting with Season Seat Holders with TFC who were on the fence about renewing before last home game:

- This was the only year that the grass has been an issue with the Argos. But not really fault of the Argos and had more to do with the grass not getting a chance to set root.

Any indication whether or not the hybrid turf will cover the entire field for football including the end zones?

R.J
10-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Any indication whether or not the hybrid turf will cover the entire field for football including the end zones?
I'm interested in hearing about this as well. My guess would be that turf would still cover the endzones, but I'm hoping MLSE at least upgrades the turf.

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Whatever kind of turf they choose, I hope they put it in the end zones, as well. The current set up is dangerous, as we have seen. As far as Hybrid grass working in English Premier League stadiums...that's England. This is Canada. Our closest comparison is Green Bay. Hybrid has been used in Green Bay for several years, and held up well, but they finish play in January and then don't use the field again until the following NFL pre-season in August. That's plenty of time for the field to recover. With TFC potentially playing in Concacaf games in February (like last year and again this year) and the MLS season beginning in March, would the field have that kind of recovery/growing time? I don't think so...

R.J
10-09-2018, 03:08 PM
The problem with going all hybrid is that it's still grass, and when you cover grass with the stands; the ends will look horrible for Argo games.

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 03:52 PM
As mentioned before, they could install something in the end zone like Field Turf, which is far closer to real grass than the Astro-Turf-like stuff they have now. With Field Turf (or its competitors) you can wear the same cleats as you wear on real grass.

AngeloV
10-09-2018, 04:12 PM
As mentioned before, they could install something in the end zone like Field Turf, which is far closer to real grass than the Astro-Turf-like stuff they have now. With Field Turf (or its competitors) you can wear the same cleats as you wear on real grass.

Are you sure that's Astro turf down there Paul? I've watched pre game warm ups from the north end zone a lot, and the turf to me looks a lot more like field turf than Astro turf. Having played on both surfaces, field turf is closer to grass than Astro turf, but don't kid yourself, you wouldn't wear the same cleats on grass and field turf. Grass would use a longer cleat.

paulwoods13
10-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Are you sure that's Astro turf down there Paul? I've watched pre game warm ups from the north end zone a lot, and the turf to me looks a lot more like field turf than Astro turf. Having played on both surfaces, field turf is closer to grass than Astro turf, but don't kid yourself, you wouldn't wear the same cleats on grass and field turf. Grass would use a longer cleat.

Not 100% sure. I was on the field and inspected the sideline turf down near that end zone. It appeared to be an extremely thin coating of turf over cement, not similar at all to Field Turf. However, it is conceivable that the end zone itself (which I was not able to inspect) is a different kind of turf. I've worn grass cleats on Field Turf and found it worked OK. While ideally one would wear cleats designed for the surface, I think grass cleats would work better on Field Turf than they do on whatever the Argos have.

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 04:52 PM

It is a field turf-type-surface in the end zones of BMO, but certainly not as deep-piled as the more modern surfaces used at other CFL stadiums. Other stadiums also use those black little pebbles that spray up. I'm not sure what they do, but I think it's to make the fake stuff play more like real grass. At any rate, the stuff at BMO needs to go! I'd rather a brown, chewed up, grass end zone. Might not look good but surely it'd be safer for the players...

Treblecharger1
10-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Whatever kind of turf they choose, I hope they put it in the end zones, as well. The current set up is dangerous, as we have seen. As far as Hybrid grass working in English Premier League stadiums...that's England. This is Canada. Our closest comparison is Green Bay. Hybrid has been used in Green Bay for several years, and held up well, but they finish play in January and then don't use the field again until the following NFL pre-season in August. That's plenty of time for the field to recover. With TFC potentially playing in Concacaf games in February (like last year and again this year) and the MLS season beginning in March, would the field have that kind of recovery/growing time? I don't think so...

With no MLS Playoffs this season the last event to take place at BMO Field this year will be on October 28th. Last year was December the 9th.

They did not replace the Grass this year until the FIFA Break which was only a 2 week window between games.

The first game for Champions League at BMO was on February 27th. So if we are looking at the same time table they should have almost 4 months to let the grass settle and take root.

Treblecharger1
10-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Here is the audio from the event (Thanks to Rocket Robin over at RPB)

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18tfc045.htm

Joe Barnes
10-09-2018, 06:48 PM
With no MLS Playoffs this season the last event to take place at BMO Field this year will be on October 28th. Last year was December the 9th.

They did not replace the Grass this year until the FIFA Break which was only a 2 week window between games.

The first game for Champions League at BMO was on February 27th. So if we are looking at the same time table they should have almost 4 months to let the grass settle and take root.

Let's hope so, as the grass this year was terrible for both teams. I don't blame the grounds crew, either, as I'm sure they did their best. But tight scheduling windows for the new field and 40 degree days (that certainly burnt my grass to a crisp!) make it very difficult for them.

Argo57
10-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Not 100% sure. I was on the field and inspected the sideline turf down near that end zone. It appeared to be an extremely thin coating of turf over cement, not similar at all to Field Turf. However, it is conceivable that the end zone itself (which I was not able to inspect) is a different kind of turf. I've worn grass cleats on Field Turf and found it worked OK. While ideally one would wear cleats designed for the surface, I think grass cleats would work better on Field Turf than they do on whatever the Argos have.

AngeloV has worn his leather helmet on both surfaces as well😛

Treblecharger1
10-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Let's hope so, as the grass this year was terrible for both teams. I don't blame the grounds crew, either, as I'm sure they did their best. But tight scheduling windows for the new field and 40 degree days (that certainly burnt my grass to a crisp!) make it very difficult for them.

They purchased even more grow lights for this off season as well. Temperature with the new lights should not be an issue with the lights but I am no pro in growing grass so who knows lol

ArgoRavi
10-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Can you further explain the comment that I bolded? Does Manning mean that more Argos fans are Leafs fans and vice versa and that there isn't as much overlap between the Argos and the other MLSE teams? That certainly wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

AngeloV
10-10-2018, 09:03 AM
AngeloV has worn his leather helmet on both surfaces as well😛

The Joe Theismann single bar helmet would have been more appropriate.

Argo57
10-10-2018, 05:29 PM
The Joe Theismann single bar helmet would have been more appropriate.

Back in the good old days Angelo!

Treblecharger1
10-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Can you further explain the comment that I bolded? Does Manning mean that more Argos fans are Leafs fans and vice versa and that there isn't as much overlap between the Argos and the other MLSE teams? That certainly wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

Hello Ravi, Yeah he was saying across all the properties that TFC fans have more in line with Raptors fans. With the Argos they tend to overlap more with the Maple Leafs. You can sort of see this at games as well. Argos and Leafs fans tend to be a bit older where as Raptors and TFC are a bit younger. Although, I do think we are improving in this area.

Will be interesting to see this off season with a full off season to sell Argos Season tickets how they attack the other MLSE properties.

ArgoZ
10-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Will be interesting to see this off season with a full off season to sell Argos Season tickets how they attack the other MLSE properties.

I'll be back (with a good schedule of course). Too bad about the poor season, as far as helping sales.

ArgoZ
10-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Grass football cleats are spikes that are not ideal for turf. They can be much more manageable on field turf, which allows them to dig in a little, then what is on the field now though. I can see this as the solution to match the hybrid grass.

Mightygoose
10-16-2018, 04:36 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/16/mounting-complaints-mlse-plans-upgrades-bmo-field-playing-surface/

A new grass surface will be laid next month, with improved lighting and irrigation. And in April, the field will be strengthened by artificial fibres that will hold the surface together, protect the grass and reduce recovery time between events.

SISGrass is a reinforced turf system with 95 per cent natural grass that is already in use at Barcelona, Chelsea, Newcastle United and Glasgow Celtic stadiums or training grounds as well as the Green Bay Packers’ Lambeau Field. Using special machines, the artificial fibres will be stitched in during a FIFA international break.

In terms of the Argos

The surface has also been an issue for the CFL, although its concern is the fact that the entire north end zone is artificial turf as is a portion of the south end zone. The difference in surfaces has caused problems, with players slipping at key moments.

Manning says Argos GM Jim Popp has approved a new type of artificial turf for the end zone “that will match much closer the new field we have.”

Consistency is a good thing. Hopefully it's as seamless as possible.

argolio
10-16-2018, 04:40 PM
The big question is: has Giovanni given his approval yet?

R.J
10-16-2018, 04:50 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/16/mounting-complaints-mlse-plans-upgrades-bmo-field-playing-surface/

In terms of the Argos

Astroturf begone. I'm hoping it's one of the new field turfs.

Treblecharger1
10-16-2018, 05:14 PM

In terms of the Argos

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is that the Length of the Turf they have in the end zone now is much shorter then the length of the real grass. If they can put in Field Turf that is the same length it should solve the problem.

jerrym
10-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Glad to see this change. The ongoing problems on many plays that it was creating were making the team and the league look bush.

gilthethrill
10-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Nice to see the Argos and their opposition will have a better surface to play on.

R.J
11-03-2018, 01:23 PM
It's started.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">November in Toronto. <a href="https://t.co/InIbdeidwJ">pic.twitter.com/InIbdeidwJ</a></p>&mdash; SeanFitz_Gerald (@SeanFitz_Gerald) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanFitz_Gerald/status/1058745657425620993?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 3, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argofan_1000
11-03-2018, 04:26 PM
It's started.

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1058745657425620993"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>while they are changing the field turf can we please change the seat colour to blue<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.53652c702a2e752df1a75e4b2ec51f45.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com&settingsEndpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.twitter .com%2Fsettings" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

7dj83r8f78t4alf8