PDA

View Full Version : Second half -- making the playoffs

paulwoods13
08-26-2018, 06:55 PM
We've reached the halfway mark of the season with a very disappointing record of 3-6. Last year, slightly past this point of the season we were also three games under .500 at 4-7. The difference was that even at 4-7 we were still very much in contention for first place, with Hamilton having started 0-8, Montreal sinking like a stone and Ottawa trying to catch up after a bad start to the season.

This time, first place looks all but out of reach as it's difficult to imagine us winning three more games than Ottawa from here on.

A crossover again seems likely, with four Western teams currently sporting better records than both Hamilton and Toronto.

A 6-3 record down the stretch would all but guarantee us a playoff spot as I can't see 9-9 being any worse than second in the East. A 5-4 record would put a playoff spot at risk as it would leave us 8-10. If we're 8-10 and in second, no problem, but 8-10 in third place looks vulnerable.

The good news is that IMO there is only one guaranteed loss in the second half: the game at Calgary. We play Hamilton three times (twice at home), Montreal home and away, at Ottawa, home to Sask, at Calgary and at B.C.

IMO we need to go 2-1 against Hamilton, 2-0 against Montreal and win two of the three against Ott, B.C. and Sask to assure ourselves of a playoff spot. A win on Labour Day would obviously be huge as it would set up the possibility of sweeping the back-to-back, which would elevate us to sole possession of second place.

Argo57
08-26-2018, 07:18 PM
My pessimistic side is kicking in Paul, don’t see this team taking 2 of 3 against Hamilton, Ottawa, Riders, BC all 50/50 chance and as you stated a win against Calgary will be a tall order, Montreal.....who knows.
Last season the Argo D was very tough to play against as a unit and Ricky Ray was having an all star caliber season, this season not so much.

jerrym
08-26-2018, 10:56 PM
We've reached the halfway mark of the season with a very disappointing record of 3-6. Last year, slightly past this point of the season we were also three games under .500 at 4-7. The difference was that even at 4-7 we were still very much in contention for first place, with Hamilton having started 0-8, Montreal sinking like a stone and Ottawa trying to catch up after a bad start to the season.

This time, first place looks all but out of reach as it's difficult to imagine us winning three more games than Ottawa from here on.

A crossover again seems likely, with four Western teams currently sporting better records than both Hamilton and Toronto.

A 6-3 record down the stretch would all but guarantee us a playoff spot as I can't see 9-9 being any worse than second in the East. A 5-4 record would put a playoff spot at risk as it would leave us 8-10. If we're 8-10 and in second, no problem, but 8-10 in third place looks vulnerable.

The good news is that IMO there is only one guaranteed loss in the second half: the game at Calgary. We play Hamilton three times (twice at home), Montreal home and away, at Ottawa, home to Sask, at Calgary and at B.C.

IMO we need to go 2-1 against Hamilton, 2-0 against Montreal and win two of the three against Ott, B.C. and Sask to assure ourselves of a playoff spot. A win on Labour Day would obviously be huge as it would set up the possibility of sweeping the back-to-back, which would elevate us to sole possession of second place.

You sound more optimistic than me, but I do think we have a chance.

gilthethrill
08-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Argos must...must win their next 3 games before venturing off to Calgary. As for the Crossover, I think Winnipeg is in trouble and BC is going nowhere. This team simply must steal a game somewhere to make up for that humiliating loss on Friday night.

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Argos must...must win their next 3 games before venturing off to Calgary. As for the Crossover, I think Winnipeg is in trouble and BC is going nowhere. This team simply must steal a game somewhere to make up for that humiliating loss on Friday night.

humiliating loss indeed
trestman needs to look hard and long into the mirror
he expects a lot from his players, i just wish he did the same for himself
[1st drive vs als, 1st and goal from 5 and only get an FG? inexcusable - then argos win by the way]

gilthethrill
08-27-2018, 09:14 AM
humiliating loss indeed
trestman needs to look hard and long into the mirror
he expects a lot from his players, i just wish he did the same for himself
[1st drive vs als, 1st and goal from 5 and only get an FG? inexcusable - then argos win by the way]

Marc Trestman is a man of character. No doubt in my mind he is sharing responsibility for the teams situation.

macspectrum
08-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Marc Trestman is a man of character. No doubt in my mind he is sharing responsibility for the teams situation.

your comment deals w/ conjecture where mine is based in fact [1st and goal from 5]

Will
08-27-2018, 10:51 AM
As Paul points out, the Argos could count on a poor eastern division in 2017 while this year they cannot rely upon that. The 4-7 in 2017 also included 2 games against Calgary while this year's 3-6 only includes 1. They still have to play at McMahon. Argos haven't won on Labour Day since 2012.

paulwoods13
08-27-2018, 01:09 PM
your comment deals w/ conjecture where mine is based in fact [1st and goal from 5]

Yes, the Argos were first and goal from the five -- that is an undeniable fact.

And "trestman needs to look hard and long into the mirror. he expects a lot from his players, i just wish he did the same for himself" deals with conjecture.

mchesher03
08-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Playoffs are still absolutely in-play. However, that game on Friday seemed soul crushing, especially coming off that game against BC.

Count me among the pessimists, I’ve repeatedly told myself this year “we won the grey cup last year, its ok” – especially after that season opening beating against Calgary.

This is a team that needs to take 2 of 3 from Hamilton or else I think the other matchups are moot. There’s our rival, we can’t knock them down a peg – I just don’t see it and I really hate to say it too.

mchesher03
08-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Yes, the Argos were first and goal from the five -- that is an undeniable fact.

And "trestman needs to look hard and long into the mirror. he expects a lot from his players, i just wish he did the same for himself" deals with conjecture.

Hard to play the “fact” card while throwing out this doozy "trestman needs to look hard and long into the mirror. he expects a lot from his players, i just wish he did the same for himself"

ArgoRavi
08-27-2018, 08:49 PM
As Paul points out, the Argos could count on a poor eastern division in 2017 while this year they cannot rely upon that. The 4-7 in 2017 also included 2 games against Calgary while this year's 3-6 only includes 1. They still have to play at McMahon. Argos haven't won on Labour Day since 2012.

Argos are overdue to win on Labour Day then, aren't they?

macspectrum
08-28-2018, 12:10 AM
were argos overdue to lose in mtl ?

mchesher03
08-28-2018, 07:18 AM

if that was how it worked we'd be seeing a Winnipeg - Hamilton Grey Cup ;)

Will
08-28-2018, 12:24 PM

If only it worked like that.

jerrym
08-29-2018, 12:20 AM

There has been a fair number of upsets in the Labour Day Classic by the team with the worse record, including last year.

Ron
08-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Hate being a pessimist but I see the Argos getting whacked on LD and the rematch simply on the D not being able to stop Mazzoli from lighting them up.

Ron
08-29-2018, 05:38 PM
were argos overdue to lose in mtl ?

No. They did it last year and went on to win the cup

Argo57
08-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Hate being a pessimist but I see the Argos getting whacked on LD and the rematch simply on the D not being able to stop Mazzoli from lighting them up.

I’ll be at the game cheering the Argos but my gut is telling me this game won’t go well.

RB957
08-31-2018, 10:00 AM
The Argos have just been too inconsistent all year. Have not had enough games where they have played well in all three phases of the game. Not only that, but lots of examples of poor execution in fundamentals. I still don't know what's up with the defense. IMO, they can talk all they want about how strong the locker room is etc. etc., but they need to show it on the field. My gut feeling right now is that this team is not good enough and does not deserve a chance to make the playoffs and defend the Cup. I hope they prove me wrong.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8