PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't happen every day, CJFL guys invited to Argo TC

dmont
05-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Nice to see this. They probably have a snowball's chance, but it's good for the young guys' careers to get the advice and exposure.

Football at the junior level is in kind of a tough spot in the 21st century. With the development of university programs and the explosion of demand among workers and employers for undergraduate degrees, it would seem like the best football players would head to university and CIS ball at the first opportunity. The OFC is developing Varsity, Junior Varsity, Bantam, and Peewee divisions, that could be the way of the future for football clubs.

Preds shocked to get Argo invite

http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/733380--preds-shocked-to-get-argo-invite

Christine Rivet, Record staff
Tue May 29 2012

WATERLOO — A pair of Twin Cities Predators have been summoned to the Toronto Argos rookie camp this week, re-awakening football careers which were mostly dormant.

Now-graduated Preds kicker and punter Charles Smith said he received the Argos’ invitation with “genuine surprise, genuine shock”.

Preds rookie offensive lineman Hakem Thompson, 19, who hasn’t played a game in two years, said he was equally floored when Argos GM Jim Barker called him last week.

“I sure didn’t expect to be asked after two days of Preds training camp,” said the six-foot-three, 285-pounder, also from Waterloo.

The Canadian Junior Football League’s team management convinced Argos GM Jim Barker to attend the under-22 Preds’ spring camp earlier this month where he spotted Smith and Thompson.

Of course, the prospect of either cracking the CFL team’s lineup is remote, to say the least. But earning an invitation to their first pro camp has breathed new life into their football careers, the two said.

Smith and Thompson were to report to the Argos training camp at the University of Toronto’s Mississauga campus Tuesday night for an orientation meeting.The CFL team’s rookie camp opens Wednesday.

Smith, 23, had his varsity career cut short at the University of Guelph in 2008 when he was sidelined with a knee injury.

He never did find his way back into the Gryphons’ lineup.

But now that Smith has graduated from Guelph, he said he will enroll at Wilfrid Laurier University where he hopes to join the football Hawks for his remaining two years of eligibility.

Smith was named the Ontario Football Conference’s top punter and kicker after nailing a career best 47-yard field goal and posting a 43-yard average on punts with the Preds last summer.

“I don’t really get flustered under pressure,” said the even-keeled Smith, a graduate of Sir John A. Macdonald.

Thompson, who will enter his second year of a computer science and math program at Laurier in the fall, figured his academic course load was too demanding to allow for football.

But all that could change.

His plans to give up the game after a summer fling with the Predators have changed.

“Definitely, not now,” he said.

Of the 40 or so players attending the Argos rookie camp, 30 of those are expected to get an invitation to the team’s main, 75-player camp which opens Sunday.

“I’ll just have to show what I can do,” said Smith, who attended Sir John A. Macdonald in Waterloo.

“Everything is happening really fast – really fast,” Thompson said with a hearty laugh.

crivet@therecord.com

KCargosfan
05-29-2012, 11:26 PM
So can Thompson play at Laurier if he plays in the CJFL? Or would he have to choose CIS or CJFL?

ArgoRavi
05-29-2012, 11:49 PM
So can Thompson play at Laurier if he plays in the CJFL? Or would he have to choose CIS or CJFL?

He can't play in both at the same time. He would have to choose one or the other.

1argoholic
05-30-2012, 02:37 PM
As I mentioned in a post a few weeks back our friends son who's 14 was invited to attend a camp on the lower mainland a few weekends ago. It was called a futures camp to help younger players develop and hopefully get into university or university players to get spotted by CFL clubs. Mitch was one of the younger guys there and it was the first of what will be an annual event. There was CFL players coaching the kids including some Argos. I have to ask our friend Dianne for an update as she was supposed to receive a video.They plan to expand it and hold one or two camps on the island next year. This is just great for player interest and development for our league. I know Jr ball on this island alone is huge with The West Shore Rebels formerly Victoria and the always powerful Nanaimo Raiders. There are always Jr players who have fallen through the cracks or in the case of Vancouver Island there is very little highschool ball so if guys don't go to university and want to continue playing Jr ball is a good route.
A young rb that I was lucky enough to see play for a Victoria team against our local Cowichan Valley Bulldogs is a freshman this year at Arizona St. He has a big name to live up to in Terrell Davis. Nice to have the same name as former great Denver Bronco rb and you play the same position. When I say this kid play he just looked like a little pro. He never left the field. He went both ways, returned kicks and punts and I believe he even punted.
Good on TO for opening up their eyes and looking under any rock to try and find talent.

ArgoRavi
05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
As I mentioned in a post a few weeks back our friends son who's 14 was invited to attend a camp on the lower mainland a few weekends ago. It was called a futures camp to help younger players develop and hopefully get into university or university players to get spotted by CFL clubs. Mitch was one of the younger guys there and it was the first of what will be an annual event. There was CFL players coaching the kids including some Argos. I have to ask our friend Dianne for an update as she was supposed to receive a video.They plan to expand it and hold one or two camps on the island next year. This is just great for player interest and development for our league. I know Jr ball on this island alone is huge with The West Shore Rebels formerly Victoria and the always powerful Nanaimo Raiders. There are always Jr players who have fallen through the cracks or in the case of Vancouver Island there is very little highschool ball so if guys don't go to university and want to continue playing Jr ball is a good route.
A young rb that I was lucky enough to see play for a Victoria team against our local Cowichan Valley Bulldogs is a freshman this year at Arizona St. He has a big name to live up to in Terrell Davis. Nice to have the same name as former great Denver Bronco rb and you play the same position. When I say this kid play he just looked like a little pro. He never left the field. He went both ways, returned kicks and punts and I believe he even punted.
Good on TO for opening up their eyes and looking under any rock to try and find talent.

If I am not mistaken, the Argos had to cancel that B.C. camp because the Lions were not pleased about them encroaching on their territory.

1argoholic
05-31-2012, 02:05 AM
I heard that Argo players were involved with the kids. I need to ask my friend more about it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8