PDA

View Full Version : Argos fans in Hamilton?

owenadam
09-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm interested in learning a little more about what it's like being an Argos fan in Hamilton. Do you exist? Are they good to you? Do you need help?
I'm curious because of how many Torontonians have moved to Hamilton in the last few years, there must be a few out there, right?

jerrym
09-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Welcome on board. It's not a matter of whether Argo fans exist in Hamilton. It's a question of whether they can survive. Jokes aside, I'm sure there are some.

owenadam
09-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks jerrym! Yeah, I realize they may not want to out themselves for fear of persecution ;)

AngeloV
09-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks jerrym! Yeah, I realize they may not want to out themselves for fear of persecution ;)

Pretty easy to figure out who the Argos fans in Hamilton are. Full set of teeth and good vocabulary.

:p

R.J
09-10-2018, 01:36 PM
I live in Burlington, and am also a Ticat STH. TBH, I've never really had any issues attending games there - I get the "Argos Suck" chant about once every 10 minutes, but that's the extent of it for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
09-10-2018, 06:00 PM
I get the "Argos Suck" chant about once every 10 minutes, but that's the extent of it for me.

Sad to say but we don't have much of an argument against it this year.

TheHammer
09-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Can I chime in? I live in Hamilton and a Ticat fan. It may come to surprise you, but I actually know a number of Hamiltonians (born, raised and still live here) who are Argo fans. Of course, like most cities with sports teams, there are a few who 'go against the grain' so to speak. In Toronto, most baseball fans are Jays fans but there are probably a few Yankee fans sprinkled in there, likewise some Canadiens fans among hockey hardcores in Toronto. It's the joy it brings them from going against popular opinion.

But nonetheless, these Argo fans in Hamilton are some of the best people I know, and some of the best (and even civilized) football conversations I've had have been with them.

I've actually posted here quite a long time ago, but life got busy and I stopped. But I have visited regularly. Despite the odd joke about 'toothless Hamiltonians' (I have all mine by the way), being uneducated (I'm university educated) and steelworkers (I don't get the joke... it's honest work), I quite enjoy the great football conversations that happen here and wanted to participate again.

On Labour Day, I was sitting beside a Ticat fan who lives in Toronto (he was born in Hamilton) and I joked with him that it must be tough being a Ticat fan in Toronto. He said it's not a big deal at all because no one in TO could care less about the CFL. He finds it very frustrating. It is good to see that CFL is relevant to the posters here. As long as there's a base, even if it may be smaller, there's always hope. If you ask most Ticat fans, their hatred for the Argos is limited to on-the-field. We (or most of us, forget the extreme fans) want the Argos to do well off the field.

Will
09-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Can I chime in? I live in Hamilton and a Ticat fan. It may come to surprise you, but I actually know a number of Hamiltonians (born, raised and still live here) who are Argo fans. Of course, like most cities with sports teams, there are a few who 'go against the grain' so to speak. In Toronto, most baseball fans are Jays fans but there are probably a few Yankee fans sprinkled in there, likewise some Canadiens fans among hockey hardcores in Toronto. It's the joy it brings them from going against popular opinion.

But nonetheless, these Argo fans in Hamilton are some of the best people I know, and some of the best (and even civilized) football conversations I've had have been with them.

I've actually posted here quite a long time ago, but life got busy and I stopped. But I have visited regularly. Despite the odd joke about 'toothless Hamiltonians' (I have all mine by the way), being uneducated (I'm university educated) and steelworkers (I don't get the joke... it's honest work), I quite enjoy the great football conversations that happen here and wanted to participate again.

On Labour Day, I was sitting beside a Ticat fan who lives in Toronto (he was born in Hamilton) and I joked with him that it must be tough being a Ticat fan in Toronto. He said it's not a big deal at all because no one in TO could care less about the CFL. He finds it very frustrating. It is good to see that CFL is relevant to the posters here. As long as there's a base, even if it may be smaller, there's always hope. If you ask most Ticat fans, their hatred for the Argos is limited to on-the-field. We (or most of us, forget the extreme fans) want the Argos to do well off the field.

I find that there are a fair number of Canadiens fans in Hamilton too. I sometimes get a chuckle at the fact that between many Hamiltonians and Torontonians the only difference in team loyalty is in the CFL. The whole "Argos suck" followed by "Go Leafs Go" type thing.

Yes, one would not receive grief for being a Ticat fan in Toronto as opposed to vice versa.

1971GreyCup
09-14-2018, 04:46 PM
My grandfather lived in Dunnville after World War I as an Argos fan. His son, my father was an Argo fan growing up in that town. I found it amusing that they drove by Hamilton to attend the games at Varsity Stadium and then Exhibition Stadium we’ll before the QEW was built. I guess people didn’t whine as much about difficulty about traffic in those days. :)

ArgoZ
09-14-2018, 05:40 PM
My grandfather lived in Dunnville after World War I as an Argos fan. His son, my father was an Argo fan growing up in that town. I found it amusing that they drove by Hamilton to attend the games at Varsity Stadium and then Exhibition Stadium we’ll before the QEW was built. I guess people didn’t whine as much about difficulty about traffic in those days. :)

:hi: Dunnville resident here! The Argos fandom lives on in this small town.

1971GreyCup
09-14-2018, 07:13 PM
:hi: Dunnville resident here! The Argos fandom lives on in this small town.

Back to 1924 too!!

jerrym
09-14-2018, 09:38 PM
I find that there are a fair number of Canadiens fans in Hamilton too.

In Vancouver, the joke for the first 20 years of the team's existence there would be more Leafs and Canadiens fans at the game when these teams came to town than Canuck fans because these people had grown up cheering for them.

TheHammer
09-14-2018, 09:44 PM
In Vancouver, the joke for the first 20 years of the team's existence there would be more Leafs and Canadiens fans at the game when these teams came to town than Canuck fans because these people had grown up cheering for them.

And if Hamilton ever got an NHL team (which they won't, I'm not delusional)... as much as everyone in Hamilton wants one, I highly doubt that all the fans who grew up cheering for the Leafs would drop allegiances at the drop of a hat. Back when the Bulldogs were an AHL farm team (for EDM, then MTL), whenever they played the Leafs farm team, the crowd would always side with the Leafs farm team. Used to kind of tick me off.

Will
09-15-2018, 11:00 AM
And if Hamilton ever got an NHL team (which they won't, I'm not delusional)... as much as everyone in Hamilton wants one, I highly doubt that all the fans who grew up cheering for the Leafs would drop allegiances at the drop of a hat. Back when the Bulldogs were an AHL farm team (for EDM, then MTL), whenever they played the Leafs farm team, the crowd would always side with the Leafs farm team. Used to kind of tick me off.

Toronto Roadrunners played one season at Ricoh and were Edmonton's affiliate. It was always awkward when St. John's came to Toronto for a game. Fortunately, saner heads prevailed, the Roadrunners left and the St. John's Maple Leafs moved to Toronto to become the Marlies.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8