PDA

View Full Version : Popp & Trestman Gone?

Neely2005
10-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Arash Madani Tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/1050903782098374658

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I told <a href="https://twitter.com/sportscage?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sportscage</a> tonight, the expectation is that one of Trestman or Popp won&#39;t be back with the Argos in 2019.<br> <br>There has been major friction with MLSE and Argos top football brass. Depending on how the off-season shakes down, both *could* be gone.<br> <br>Now, back to baseball.</p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/1050903782098374658?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 13, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
10-13-2018, 04:39 PM
This was already mentioned in the GDT, but it is important enough to deserve its own thread I think.

R.J
10-13-2018, 04:42 PM
I'd be shocked if at least one of them weren't let go or resigned. I'd lean more towards it being Trestman leaving, but who knows what Manning and Tanebaum are thinking.

SkalbaniasGhost
10-13-2018, 05:28 PM
It would not be surprising to see both leave due to the current circumstances. The league is implementing the management salary cap(specifics have not been released on it). They have both played the company man(Popp responding to the question about Manziel being "No player is bigger than this league" remark during the Randy's Road Trip event- Trestman motivating the players last season thru tennis courts/rodent infested working conditions/school buses) and will be required to make hard decisions this coming off-season. It would be difficult to tell others who you have placed trust in to take pay cuts/terminations due to an outside forces beyond your control.I believe both are honorable men who feel this outside influence is becoming too much to bear.We all sometimes forget there is a human element in play when dealing with something like professional sports.I hope Mr Braley and Mr Rhodes realize the implications for their desired outcome.It's going to be hard going forward to attract quality candidates to represent this league in the future.You can't spin your way to this so called growth that the CFL likes to say it's doing.
#ManningOut

R.J
10-13-2018, 07:08 PM
3Downnation picked up the tweet and made a story
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/13/trestman-and-popp-could-both-be-gone-from-argos-after-2018-season-report/

Trestman being frustrated with Bradbury = frustrated with the Argos brass ?

Shatto
10-13-2018, 11:55 PM
Trestman and Popp, last year, took a team widely predicted to a basement dweller, to being the Grey Cup champions. This year has been a huge disappointment and much of the blame can be rightfully attributed to coaching and management. However, IMO, winning the Grey Cup against all odds last year, buys them another year to right the ship.

Argofan_1000
10-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Trestman and Popp, last year, took a team widely predicted to a basement dweller, to being the Grey Cup champions. This year has been a huge disappointment and much of the blame can be rightfully attributed to coaching and management. However, IMO, winning the Grey Cup against all odds last year, buys them another year to right the ship.

When you look at the record, trading one of the best pass rushers to BC, trading Heath, not playing Franklin earlier 2 games ago, not using Duron Carter, Showing no interest in Manziel and are now only 3 wins. The Argo brass forgot the sizzle and it didn't make us any better a football team.

Both GM and Coach have done it their way and it has not worked. We need to sell the team. Coach is so stubborn. With so many players out there why can't we have an NFL quality club in the CFL. I think its possible. It is so much easier for the CFL to field very strong teams quickly, far easier then the other leagues in town because there are so many playing football in U sports and NCAA. Look at the NHL, they sell sizzle with the fewest draft eligible players of all the leagues. The team needs some help from the PA and league. The field size is a problem in TO and Montreal plus it is too big. Fix it by shortening the length of the field to 100 yards and trim the width to 60 so it looks proportional.

I like the mentality on decisions where the quality of the football team or the quality of anything is the only thing that should be taken into account when rule changes are proposed and players are traded. It's not happening.

Not paying players above the other startup leagues will hurt us and the league. Move the line in the sand so we can take the number 2 spot and the league won't be challenged. A 7.5 to 8 million cap is all it will take

CFLfan
10-14-2018, 11:58 AM
When you look at the record, trading one of the best pass rushers to BC, trading Heath, not playing Franklin earlier 2 games ago, not using Duron Carter, Showing no interest in Manziel and are now only 3 wins. The Argo brass forgot the sizzle and it didn't make us any better a football team.

Both GM and Coach have done it their way and it has not worked. We need to sell the team. Coach is so stubborn. With so many players out there why can't we have an NFL quality club in the CFL. I think its possible. It is so much easier for the CFL to field very strong teams quickly, far easier then the other leagues in town because there are so many playing football in U sports and NCAA. Look at the NHL, they sell sizzle with the fewest draft eligible players of all the leagues. The team needs some help from the PA and league. The field size is a problem in TO and Montreal plus it is too big. Fix it by shortening the length of the field to 100 yards and trim the width to 60 so it looks proportional.

I like the mentality on decisions where the quality of the football team or the quality of anything is the only thing that should be taken into account when rule changes are proposed and players are traded. It's not happening.

Not paying players above the other startup leagues will hurt us and the league. Move the line in the sand so we can take the number 2 spot and the league won't be challenged. A 7.5 to 8 million cap is all it will take

A $7.5 M to $8M cap?? that would bankrupt teams and finish the CFL.
We know by looking at the books of the Riders, Esks and Bombers that they make $1m or $2m in profit and that is with $4.6 M cap. The three teams also have the highest attendance. We don't know how much money the Als and the Lion are losing with averaging 18k attendance but they certainly coudn't afford a raise in the cap. Ticats, Ottawa? we don't know if they are breaking even ?
Would MLSE agree to payout another $3m per year in salaries? I doubt it.

If the CFL could substantially increase attendance and ticket prices and eventually TV revenue then maybe they could raise the cap but it's not going to happen. They have to survive on what they have and hope that fans still come out and support their teams with fewer talented players.

doubleblue
10-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Marc Trestman always talks about that slim line between the winning teams and losing teams in the League. Maybe, but last year's team to me was much better than this year's. #1 Ricky Ray, #2 better defense, one starting player the other night (Laing) left from the GC team. #3 The defensive coordinator.

Some of the defensive players were another year older and plagued with injuries but the next guys up weren't as good. I think Trestman kind of tried to warn everybody at the start of the year, saying this was a different team. Maybe we just assumed the new players would be as good and we wouldn't miss the DC. So Popp has his work cut out for him this off season, with the new League and trying to convince talented players to come up here for 60,000 Canadian.

Will
10-14-2018, 02:33 PM
As I believe Angelo pointed out in the other thread, the fact that there may be friction in the upper echelons of the organization is no secret. We've been speculating on this since Labour Day at least. Madani does, however, take it a bit further stating that the friction is between Football Operations and MLSE. We had only been speculating that this friction was between Trestman and Popp (which still might be the case). Now we do not know what the nature of the friction between Football Ops and MLSE is, however this is definitely a cause for concern. MLSE meddling has never been a good thing.

If it were between Trestman and Popp staying then I would certainly want Popp to stay. I simply do not trust Manning to make Football Operation decisions, especially one that will be so crucial.

Neely2005
10-14-2018, 03:15 PM

A smaller field means less room, less offence, less excitement and less entertainment. If they were to shrink the field we'd cancel our season tickets.

Neely2005
10-14-2018, 03:18 PM
As I believe Angelo pointed out in the other thread, the fact that there may be friction in the upper echelons of the organization is no secret. We've been speculating on this since Labour Day at least. Madani does, however, take it a bit further stating that the friction is between Football Operations and MLSE. We had only been speculating that this friction was between Trestman and Popp (which still might be the case). Now we do not know what the nature of the friction between Football Ops and MLSE is, however this is definitely a cause for concern. MLSE meddling has never been a good thing.

If it were between Trestman and Popp staying then I would certainly want Popp to stay. I simply do not trust Manning to make Football Operation decisions, especially one that will be so crucial.

MLSE meddling is unfortunate and will be damaging but unfortunately it's not unexpected.

Argofan_1000
10-14-2018, 03:26 PM
A $7.5 M to $8M cap?? that would bankrupt teams and finish the CFL.
We know by looking at the books of the Riders, Esks and Bombers that they make $1m or $2m in profit and that is with $4.6 M cap. The three teams also have the highest attendance. We don't know how much money the Als and the Lion are losing with averaging 18k attendance but they certainly coudn't afford a raise in the cap. Ticats, Ottawa? we don't know if they are breaking even ?
Would MLSE agree to payout another $3m per year in salaries? I doubt it.

If the CFL could substantially increase attendance and ticket prices and eventually TV revenue then maybe they could raise the cap but it's not going to happen. They have to survive on what they have and hope that fans still come out and support their teams with fewer talented players.

Have to do it or we will always here the negative with the new leagues.

Riders 43 million and they just squeak out a profit. I don't believe it. Bombers just got huge relief from the province. They need to shake their transportation issues and they will do quite well, very well.
Edmonton always puts money away before sharing their bottom line.

Commissioner is controlling costs to divert the money to the players.

Us at 14000 average per game, how much $ each per game to cover 2 million if the fans alone had to cover the full amount - 14000 X 9 = 126,000. $2,000,000 / 126,000 = $16 dollars - so they find $8 from us and look to the other revenue streams. Argos only have one major sponsor. 6000 more in attendance is 1.3 million + concessions

Scotia Bank just gave MLSE $80 million a year to name the arena! These Banks give so little back and are very protected by legislation. These companies look for write offs when they are posting 2 billion profit per quarter. Same for MLSE. Same for Bell and Rogers. 2 million they won't care about if it moves the profile forward. Remember their 2 owners sell subscriptions. They need product to market. The more stars the easier it becomes. 9.5 million subscribers to TSN @ $10/month. A lot of money. 2 million I think are there for the CFL. Used the pre and post game GC numbers as reference. The dollar numbers are so big 2 million is insignificant when they look at the CFL's bigger picture and what they could loose out if it were gone. For me if I am Bell I am never going to take a chance.

Argofan_1000
10-14-2018, 03:33 PM
A smaller field means less room, less offence, less excitement and less entertainment. If they were to shrink the field we'd cancel our season tickets.

Shorter field doesn't mean less offence. I think it will have the reverse effect. Making the width of the field shorter by a few yards does nothing to the game if the hash marks are moved. May help with offence by having the ball spotted closer to mid field.

paulwoods13
10-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Furthermore, it would essentially ruin every stadium in Canada by placing spectators farther away from the field.

paulwoods13
10-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Increasing the salary cap to $8M will not bring any significant players to Canada, and will mean higher -- I would say much higher -- ticket prices in every city. It's easy to say things like "MLSE's rich and can afford it," but the companies that own teams are in the business of making money, not giving it away, and in MLSE's case its owners have a fiduciary obligation to shareholders to maximize return on investment. The cap will go up in the next CBA, by maybe a couple hundred thousand dollars -- definitely not by $2.5M.

AngeloV
10-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Increasing the salary cap to $8M will not bring any significant players to Canada, and will mean higher -- I would say much higher -- ticket prices in every city. It's easy to say things like "MLSE's rich and can afford it," but the companies that own teams are in the business of making money, not giving it away, and in MLSE's case its owners have a fiduciary obligation to shareholders to maximize return on investment. The cap will go up in the next CBA, by maybe a couple hundred thousand dollars -- definitely not by $2.5M.

There is always a chance that the management cap may be done in order to increase the players salary cap. I agree, we won't see it go to 8M anytime soon, but perhaps 6 isn't out of the question. I don't think it's a coincidence that the management cap is taking place the same year the CBA with the players association ends. Different allocation of operation costs, but I think the players will their biggest increase to date, and mostly due to the new league. 6M would put the league average over 100k which would be in line with the 80k USD the other league is offering.

Argo
10-14-2018, 05:16 PM
There is always a chance that the management cap may be done in order to increase the players salary cap. I agree, we won't see it go to 8M anytime soon, but perhaps 6 isn't out of the question. I don't think it's a coincidence that the management cap is taking place the same year the CBA with the players association ends. Different allocation of operation costs, but I think the players will their biggest increase to date, and mostly due to the new league. 6M would put the league average over 100k which would be in line with the 80k USD the other league is offering.

More money for players (and officiating), less management / coaching personnel (implying less money spent on such derivatives) under a reasonable management cap is a formula for success in the CFL.

Drop a couple of coaching positions, no "Assistant GM", "Head of Football Operations", "Consultant", "Former Star Ornament", etc., and no more winning the lottery contracts like those of Trestman and Popp (due to cap).

Neely2005
10-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Furthermore, it would essentially ruin every stadium in Canada by placing spectators farther away from the field.

That too! Plus Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa all have new stadiums.

Shatto
10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Not surprised there may be friction between MLSE management and Argo football management. When you have a president whose first priority is his soccer team, there is bound to be the possibility of friction between Manning and Trestman/Popp. As long as we have a soccer first individual as the Argo president, there will always be the image of the Argos as being a second thought. The team needs a president whose only concern is the well being of the team and its fans. Pinball fits the bill but his other activities may mean he will never accept the post.

Perhaps others may have some suggestions as to who could fit the role nicely

cfl-cis fan
10-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Not surprised there may be friction between MLSE management and Argo football management. When you have a president whose first priority is his soccer team, there is bound to be the possibility of friction between Manning and Trestman/Popp. As long as we have a soccer first individual as the Argo president, there will always be the image of the Argos as being a second thought. The team needs a president whose only concern is the well being of the team and its fans. Pinball fits the bill but his other activities may mean he will never accept the post.

Damon Allen. Don't know his business acumen but his passion for the team is unmistakable.

jerrym
10-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Pinball would be my first choice too, but, this would require both MLSE and Clemons to want it.

AngeloV
10-14-2018, 07:45 PM
We can suggest anyone, but the facts are it is unlikely MLSE will have separate highly paid presidents in charge of 2 entities that may never make them money.

Argo57
10-14-2018, 07:50 PM
How about someone like Paul Masotti?
Always seemed like a bright guy, great Argonaut with experience in management who knows the CFL.

AngeloV
10-14-2018, 07:52 PM
How about someone like Paul Masotti?
Always seemed like a bright guy, great Argonaut with experience in management who knows the CFL.

He’s from Hamilton. How bright can he possibly be? 😉

R.J
10-14-2018, 07:55 PM
We can suggest anyone, but the facts are it is unlikely MLSE will have separate highly paid presidents in charge of 2 entities that may never make them money.
What gets me is some seem to think that Manning being a "soccer guy" is the reason behind the supposed friction; completely overlooking that the team is 3-12 currently and most other team Presidents would take issue with a similar record. Manning has also worked for the Houston Rockets and Philadelphia Eagles FWIW.

Argo57
10-14-2018, 07:57 PM
He’s from Hamilton. How bright can he possibly be? 😉

LOL👍
He walks upright, can articulate a full sentence so maybe he has outgrown Hamilton😛

Argo57
10-14-2018, 08:15 PM
What gets me is that some seem to think that Manning being a "soccer guy" is the reason behind the supposed friction; completely overlooking that the team is 3-12 currently and most other team Presidents would take issue with that. Manning has also work for the Houston Rockets and Philadelphia Eagles FWIW.

You are probably correct RJ, an exciting winning on field Argonaut 2018 season and I suspect there is no friction within the organization.
Remember, Popp and Trestman were not hired by Manning who may want to hire “his guys” moving forward.

AngeloV
10-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Of course, we should also consider the possibility that there could be absolutely nothing to Madani’s tweet.

Shatto
10-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Even if there is no friction between MLSE (Manning) and Argo management (Trestman/Popp), the team still deserves a fulltime president, who has only one priority --the success of the team on and off the field

Some names for consideration and debate--Jock Climie, Larry Buono and Doug Flutie

Argofan_1000
10-15-2018, 06:29 AM
Manning probably on the hot seat. Discussing with a few TFC supporters and that's what they were suggesting. Could make sense.

Last year Forbes said TFC lost 10 million US. This year probably much worse and both clubs don't make the playoffs. They will be looking at the president

paulwoods13
10-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Even if there is no friction between MLSE (Manning) and Argo management (Trestman/Popp), the team still deserves a fulltime president, who has only one priority --the success of the team on and off the field

Some names for consideration and debate--Jock Climie, Larry Buono and Doug Flutie

Climie seems unlikely to leave law practice for a tenuous job with the Argos; Buono has been pretty adamant he's retiring, plus he's a football guy, not a biz guy (which IMO is what is needed); and there is no chance Flutie leaves the U.S. for this, plus he has no biz background that I'm aware of.

This is all fun speculation, but until any of these jobs actually come open, I don't see much point.

Shatto
10-15-2018, 11:48 AM
As you say, a "fun speculation" I agree with your opinion on the names suggested. Perhaps however, Climie, if he signed a 3 year contract wouldn't likely lose money and a stint as president of a prestigious sports operation might make him even more attractive to certain sports/legal opportunities.

The major point however, is the need and obvious benefits that would accrue with the appointment of a president of the team who lives and dies solely for the well being of the team. The suggested names for such an individual , as you say, is just a fun exercise at this time.

AngeloV
10-15-2018, 02:22 PM
I'll throw out another name. How about Rob Crifo. He's a businessman and I see him at every game, so I believe the passion is there.

R.J
10-15-2018, 03:02 PM
I highly doubt Manning is going anywhere; highly regarded within MLSE despite some Argo fans being miffed that tailgating was cancelled due to cost, and with him being a "soccer guy".

R.J
10-16-2018, 12:19 PM
The guy who runs the CFL News twitter account seems to think if a move is made that Popp will be the one given the boot, and not Trestman. Hearing rumblings, and noting that Trestman was always the prize hire. IIRC there were rumblings during the hiring speculation that originally TanenBELL wanted to try and get Trestman without having to go through Popp.

doubleblue
10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
The guy who runs the CFL News twitter account seems to think if a move is made that Popp will be the one given the boot, and not Trestman. Hearing rumblings, and noting that Trestman was always the prize hire. IIRC there were rumblings during the hiring speculation that originally TanenBELL wanted to try and get Trestman without having to go through Popp.

I don't know about that rumour. Popp was the guy that delivered Trestman, and do you think Trestman would want to work under a different GM. I think they came as a team and will go as a team, unless Trestman resigns. I think once the season is over and everything calms down they will be back for their third year, but they will have to produce a better season for sure.

argolio
10-16-2018, 03:28 PM
If changes are made, firing the G.M. but keeping the coach is the decision that makes the least sense to me.

AngeloV
10-16-2018, 04:11 PM
If changes are made, firing the G.M. but keeping the coach is the decision that makes the least sense to me.

Agreed. Unless the coach also becomes the GM, it breaks the chain of command, and it may be hard to bring in a GM that can't pick his own coach.

R.J
10-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Agreed. Unless the coach also becomes the GM, it breaks the chain of command, and it may be hard to bring in a GM that can't pick his own coach.
Happens in sports quite a bit though, and when the GM fires the Coach it's always brought up that they weren't "his guy". Copeland tried something similar with Barker and Milanovich if you'lll recall, but Milanovich ended up resigning a couple of days later; which was great because he saved the Argos over $300k.

Argo57
10-16-2018, 06:47 PM
I don't know about that rumour. Popp was the guy that delivered Trestman, and do you think Trestman would want to work under a different GM. I think they came as a team and will go as a team, unless Trestman resigns. I think once the season is over and everything calms down they will be back for their third year, but they will have to produce a better season for sure.

This is how I see it as well.

R.J
10-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Change is afoot with Argos, but change must begin by appointing full-time prez
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/change-is-afoot-with-argos-but-change-must-begin-by-appointing-full-time-prez

I know some aren't a fan of Zic, but this is a good read IMO. Zic believes the team needs a sole focused team President - Trestman wants to come back; I don't agree with Trestman saying that he has the right staff, but that could just be Trestman being polite.

Argo57
10-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Change is afoot with Argos, but change must begin by appointing full-time prez
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/change-is-afoot-with-argos-but-change-must-begin-by-appointing-full-time-prez

I know some aren't a fan of Zic, but this is a good read IMO. Zic believes the team needs a sole focused team President - Trestman wants to come back; I don't agree with Trestman saying that he has the right staff, but that could just be Trestman being polite.

Good to know Kanneh will be back in the lineup👎

R.J
10-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Anyone else notice there's something off with this page ?

Wobbler
10-16-2018, 09:04 PM
This is how I see it as well.

Testing: is this thread still displaying correctly?

R.J
10-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Okay back to normal Wobbler. Thanks.

Argo57
10-16-2018, 09:11 PM

It is now.

R.J
10-16-2018, 09:12 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ArashMadani</a> is hearing that Kavis Reed is going to remain as GM with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AlsMTL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AlsMTL</a> past this season. <br><br>Also reports its unlikely that Marc Trestman returns with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a>. Would not shock him if full house cleaning happens in Toronto. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/rodpedersen?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rodpedersen</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/sportscage?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sportscage</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1052338684211748864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
10-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Okay back to normal Wobbler. Thanks.
Cool. Take it easy with the terror attacks, will ya?! ;)

R.J
10-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Cool. Take it easy with the terror attacks, will ya?! ;)
What even happened ? All I did was copy and paste the tweet.

Wobbler
10-16-2018, 09:49 PM
I dunno, but somehow it broke vbulletin. No text in a message should ever do that, obviously - you should send your CV to Moscow!

R.J
10-16-2018, 09:53 PM
i dunno, but somehow it broke vbulletin. No text in a message should ever do that, obviously - you should send your cv to moscow!
Миссия была скомпрометирована ... Прервать миссию.

Lol

R.J
10-17-2018, 01:21 AM
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/16/3down-pod-legal-weed-rider-beat-hot-mess-west-east-race-changes-toronto/

3downnation podcast - Argo talk around the 26:55 mark - some interesting theories brought up.

Will
10-17-2018, 08:08 AM
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/16/3down-pod-legal-weed-rider-beat-hot-mess-west-east-race-changes-toronto/

3downnation podcast - Argo talk around the 26:55 mark - some interesting theories brought up.

I wonder what Trestman chewed out the PR staff about?

ArgoGabe22
10-17-2018, 09:58 AM
I wonder what Trestman chewed out the PR staff about?

Probably wants whatever is reported in practice to be as limited as possible. CFL coaches have gone all paranoid for the worst. Hervey didn’t even let the media enter the locker room.

R.J
10-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Probably wants whatever is reported in practice to be as limited as possible. CFL coaches have gone all paranoid for the worst. Hervey didn’t even let the media enter the locker room.
This would be my guess as well. It would also explain why we went through a couple of PR people rather quickly.

Antwon
10-17-2018, 01:32 PM
As much as this season has been a big disappointment, I don’t look forward to wholesale changes again! This franchise needs some stability and continuity.
They also need a dedicated President. Under MLSE they should be able to get a very well regarded candidate.
I hope Popp and Trestman stay, but Trestman must adapt. This season seems to be the same thing week in and week out with the same results. (struggling offence and losses)
As for Trestman tearing PR staff…That’s not a good sign. Kind of goes against what he says about the locker room culture he wants.

This off season appears it will be very tumultuous with the CBA, Admin & Coaches salary cap, many big free agents, and the new Alliance league, some stability may be good.

Will
10-17-2018, 01:57 PM
This would be my guess as well. It would also explain why we went through a couple of PR people rather quickly.

A few years ago I was tweeting things from training camp, and was politely asked by Jamie Dykstra to refrain from posting specifics about personnel, etc.. This year at least they've made it explicit that they don't want people filming or recording practice.

R.J
10-17-2018, 02:26 PM
As much as this season has been a big disappointment, I don’t look forward to wholesale changes again! This franchise needs some stability and continuity.
They also need a dedicated President. Under MLSE they should be able to get a very well regarded candidate.
I hope Popp and Trestman stay, but Trestman must adapt. This season seems to be the same thing week in and week out with the same results. (struggling offence and losses)
As for Trestman tearing PR staff…That’s not a good sign. Kind of goes against what he says about the locker room culture he wants.

This off season appears it will be very tumultuous with the CBA, Admin & Coaches salary cap, many big free agents, and the new Alliance league, some stability may be good.
Admittedly, I'd like to see some continuity as well, but there's been too many questionable decisions made this season for my liking. And to put it mildly, I'm tired of watching the Trestman West Coast offence - I wanted Milanovich out because of it, and I didn't even want Trestman here in the first place because of it.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Popp and Trestman stay, or one of them gets the boot/leaves, or both are gone.

A few years ago I was tweeting things from training camp, and was politely asked by Jamie Dykstra to refrain from posting specifics about personnel, etc.. This year at least they've made it explicit that they don't want people filming or recording practice.
Because according to people like Chris Jones and Ed Hervey other teams read our tweets and forum posts lol. I've always found football coaches paranoia hilarious.

Stevoman
10-19-2018, 10:20 AM
My preference is for both of them to stay but for Trestman especially, to truly hold himself accountable for how he's handled things so far this year. In 2017, I was never afraid of him being out coached or making poor personnel decisions, but this season has been a totally different story. Right from the first game in Saskatchewan (I think it was a missed challenge call) there have been times where he has seemed way more lost. He also needs to evaluate the talent on his roster and modify his strategies to best utilize the talent that is there.

AngeloV
10-19-2018, 10:39 AM
My preference is for both of them to stay but for Trestman especially, to truly hold himself accountable for how he's handled things so far this year. In 2017, I was never afraid of him being out coached or making poor personnel decisions, but this season has been a totally different story. Right from the first game in Saskatchewan (I think it was a missed challenge call) there have been times where he has seemed way more lost. He also needs to evaluate the talent on his roster and modify his strategies to best utilize the talent that is there.

I've been ranting about Trestman this year too. I really think he has made a lot of bad in game decisions this year, and not just regarding personnel. IS it a one off? Not sure. I personally would love to see a younger HC next year, but I do have a lot of respect for Trestman, so if he's back, I will go into the season with an open mind.

lazycro
10-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Reading the feature article on CFL.ca it sounds like Trestman I'd entrenched with the different coaches in our organization except for Vanney. I think we'll see retooling in the other coaches but probably not Trestman changing this coming year

I've been wrong before though

lazycro
10-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Reinforcing the idea that they will be back

https://www.tsn.ca/argos-manning-issues-challenge-to-popp-we-have-to-win-1.1201448

R.J
10-31-2018, 01:48 PM

https://www.tsn.ca/argos-manning-issues-challenge-to-popp-we-have-to-win-1.1201448
Not really what I'd call a ringing endorsement of Popp and Trestman - Manning even states that they're going to talk further. Good to hear that the team has the resources and the goal is to replicate Calgary. Also good to hear that paid attendance was up 1,800, and less comps were handed out.

argotom
10-31-2018, 03:33 PM
I can handle them being back.
With Trestman though, I would want him to relinquish the offensive play calling and leave in the hands of a true OC with combination of AC if he is back.

Ron
10-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Trestman had a hard season. But then i want to see a HC have real problems with a losing season and not on that is so used to it it's no sweat.

Skilz
10-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Trestman's biggest problem going forward is his - holistic preaching style.

His know it all "I'm the smartest guy in the room" routine is wearing a bit thin after such a dismal season. (See the handling of Duron Carter)

Nobody really cares about the brotherhood, or the culture or kumbayah - unless it results in performance on the field.

And the fact is - it hasn't - this season.

R.J
10-31-2018, 03:54 PM
I can handle them being back.
With Trestman though, I would want him to relinquish the offensive play calling and leave in the hands of a true OC with combination of AC if he is back.
You think Calvillo having say over the offense is a good idea ?

R.J
10-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Trestman's biggest problem going forward is his - holistic preaching style.

His know it all "I'm the smartest guy in the room" routine is wearing a bit thin after such a dismal season. (See the handling of Duron Carter)

Nobody really cares about the brotherhood, or the culture or kumbayah - unless it results in performance on the field.

And the fact is - it hasn't - this season.
Balance is needed - can't be a hard ass all the time, nor can you sing kumbaya all the time either.

Antwon
11-01-2018, 09:07 AM
I’m fine with Popp and Trestman coming back as I believe the organization needs some stability.
Although Trestman must realize the offence scheme must change next year. Perhaps a true OC would help. The awful offensive performance this year cannot be blamed on Ray going down or lack of talent. It’s just not effective against today’s CFL defenses. Trestman has to own that and change it!
I like that Manning expects the team to be in the playoff every year, putting the pressure on Popp to produce.

gilthethrill
11-01-2018, 10:09 AM
You think Calvillo having say over the offense is a good idea ?

With Maas looking like he is out in Edmonton, will Ricky Ray perhaps retire and return to Toronto in a coaching capacity?

doubleblue
11-01-2018, 11:11 AM

I like the idea that Manning has pretty well confirmed Popp and Trestman will be back, but also he challenged Popp to do a better job as a GM. I expect that would be recruiting better players to have more depth similar to Calgary. Huff probably has better contacts in the NFL than anyone in the CFL but they also seem to do a better job scouting Canadian players. You can get lucky once in a while in the draft but not every year if you don't do the work (intense scouting) IMO.
MLSE has the resources so maybe its time for Popp to hire some real professional scouts. I can't believe some of the high picks the last few years. To their credit (even going back to Barker) there has been some good late round picks (luck)?, but early rounds. It was "what were they thinking".
I have to say last year to Jim's credit Hunter, Kwemo and Cibasu on paper doesn't look too bad, if Hunter eventually comes here and starts and Cibasu turns out ok. Kwemo has potential and is still learning the game.
This year is critical with two high picks. No excuse not to really go over this years crop thoroughly.

ArgoGabe22
11-01-2018, 12:41 PM
I like the idea that Manning has pretty well confirmed Popp and Trestman will be back, but also he challenged Popp to do a better job as a GM. I expect that would be recruiting better players to have more depth similar to Calgary. Huff probably has better contacts in the NFL than anyone in the CFL but they also seem to do a better job scouting Canadian players. You can get lucky once in a while in the draft but not every year if you don't do the work (intense scouting) IMO.
MLSE has the resources so maybe its time for Popp to hire some real professional scouts. I can't believe some of the high picks the last few years. To their credit (even going back to Barker) there has been some good late round picks (luck)?, but early rounds. It was "what were they thinking".
I have to say last year to Jim's credit Hunter, Kwemo and Cibasu on paper doesn't look too bad, if Hunter eventually comes here and starts and Cibasu turns out ok. Kwemo has potential and is still learning the game.
This year is critical with two high picks. No excuse not to really go over this years crop thoroughly.

MLSE has the money to invest in scouts, but the league now has their cap going forward.

SkalbaniasGhost
11-01-2018, 02:27 PM

The talent level for this draft is off the charts(2020 is starting to look pretty comparable as well).The depth at QB,RB,REC,OL,DL,SPT is spectacular and the Argo's should be able to walk away with some solid contributors/depth pieces for next season at a number of positions.The import recruiting is going to be another story.The limitations imposed by the scouting cap have not been defined.
It might be wise to partner up with Tiger-Cats/RedBlacks to hold joint sessions in Buffalo,Boston,Hartford,Philadelphia,etc. You can easily rent out indoor turf facilities to increase your odds of finding more Gof5,FCS, D2,D3,NAIA players(which the league has to start working harder for if the goal is keep wages low).
Regis Cibasu is probably gonna give the NFL another look in 2019 so don't expect him to contribute for next season.

doubleblue
11-01-2018, 04:24 PM
MLSE has the money to invest in scouts, but the league now has their cap going forward.

I can well remember the day when CFL teams had a small coaching staff, and we would read at the end of the season that each assistant plus the Head Coach would be heading out to scout Bowl games. Why couldn't this still be part of their contract instead of being sent home for the winter months.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8