PDA

View Full Version : Fan forum numbers

argos1873
10-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Ok this is not a criticism of this forum by any means, and this is from 2016. But the numbers are extremely discouraging. The number is at 698 members now. The Ti-Cats had 16,000+ forum members in 2016. What can we do to more fans here? I don't know who runs the forum now, but obviously more needs to be done. Again, not a criticism, I'm sure its not easy to do, I'd just like to see more members for an Argo fan site such as this, which seems to be the only Argo fan site.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2016/03/29/cfl-social-media/

jerrym
10-27-2018, 01:45 AM
Perhaps we could ask the Ti-Cat forum organizers if they have any ideas on growing the forum, considering how many members they have. Thanks again to everybody who has helped to run the forum here over time.

Will
10-27-2018, 08:48 AM
The primary Tiger-Cat forum is, as far as I am aware, sanctioned and run by the team.

Neely2005
10-27-2018, 08:49 AM
I wonder if the Argonauts would be willing to put a Link to ArgoFans.com on their website? It never hurts to ask. :-)

Will
10-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Ok this is not a criticism of this forum by any means, and this is from 2016. But the numbers are extremely discouraging. The number is at 698 members now. The Ti-Cats had 16,000+ forum members in 2016. What can we do to more fans here? I don't know who runs the forum now, but obviously more needs to be done. Again, not a criticism, I'm sure its not easy to do, I'd just like to see more members for an Argo fan site such as this, which seems to be the only Argo fan site.

Did you bother considering at all the lack of presence the team itself has in the marketplace?

Will
10-27-2018, 08:55 AM
I wonder if the Argonauts would be willing to put a Link to ArgoFans.com on their website? It never hurts to ask. :-)

That'd come with certain conditions I suspect.

Argo57
10-27-2018, 09:10 AM

I wonder where they get their #’s from, Riderfans website shows 1692 members this article says 12k members.
Argofans#’s are also incorrect?

Argo
10-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Did you bother considering at all the lack of presence the team itself has in the marketplace?

I smell causality, not just correlation.

Argo
10-27-2018, 11:01 AM
That'd come with certain conditions I suspect.

I really don't see why that should be the case... we're dealing with a game, and those that follow it are essentially hobbyists.

Argo
10-27-2018, 11:03 AM
The primary Tiger-Cat forum is, as far as I am aware, sanctioned and run by the team.

...with the owner, a.k.a. "Caretaker", contributing in the comment section on occasion.

Wobbler
10-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Meh. I think this forum has too many members already. :)

R.J
10-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Keep in mind the Ticats numbers also include anyone who signed up for the CFL website, and along with Riders numbers accumulated over the years. Active users is more important than total users IMO, but even in saying that it's pretty clear there's never been too many members here or FOA, and we've lost some over the years to twitter or even the CFL forums weirdly enough.

Personally I think the Riders forum is easily the best if you want to talk CFL football, and the CFL forums are one of the worst.

AngeloV
10-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Meh. I think this forum has too many members already. :)

I like to think I've done my part to weed out a few.

:)

R.J
10-28-2018, 01:34 AM

As have I.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2018, 01:39 AM

Exactly. When Bob Young took ownership late in 2003, he really put a lot of focus on the team forum. I believe that the strong numbers of today is simply a reflection of his emphasis on that forum from the outset.

R.J
10-28-2018, 01:41 AM
Exactly. When Bob Young took ownership late in 2003, he really put a lot of focus on the team forum. I believe that the strong numbers of today is simply a reflection of his emphasis on that forum from the outset.
The numbers are also heavily inflated due to the change over to the new forum server - A lot of posters had to make new accounts, and their old accounts were never closed.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2018, 01:41 AM
Keep in mind the Ticats numbers also include anyone who signed up for the CFL website, and along with Riders numbers accumulated over the years. Active users is more important than total users IMO, but even in saying that it's pretty clear there's never been too many members here or FOA, and we've lost some over the years to twitter or even the CFL forums weirdly enough.

Personally I think the Riders forum is easily the best if you want to talk CFL football, and the CFL forums are one of the worst.

I tried out the CFL forums about three or four years ago and just found them to be far too negative. I used to visit riderfans and lionbackers quite a bit but just haven't had much time lately. If I am going to spend time in an online forum. argofans is the place to be.

Argo
10-28-2018, 12:54 PM
I tried out the CFL forums about three or four years ago and just found them to be far too negative. I used to visit riderfans and lionbackers quite a bit but just haven't had much time lately. If I am going to spend time in an online forum. argofans is the place to be.

Comment / posting sections are generally an outer circle of hell. E.g., YouTube, the CBC, even the Weather Network is regularly polluted, to say nothing of social media in general.

That said, I would like to see more (hopefully constructive) posters at this site... here, it often seems like there's about a dozen Argonauts fans in existence.

doubleblue
10-28-2018, 01:56 PM

Yah this is no place for thin skinned sensitive individuals. We must always remember the opinions expressed are not those of this station. :)

Will
10-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I really don't see why that should be the case... we're dealing with a game, and those that follow it are essentially hobbyists.

I just wonder how the team might react to some of the criticism (however justified) that is posted on here.

R.J
10-28-2018, 02:29 PM
I just wonder how the team might react to some of the criticism (however justified) that is posted on here.
As I recall, the negativity around the FOA forum when Elizondo and Lemon were leading the offence is the reason that forum shut down.

Will
10-28-2018, 02:30 PM
As I recall, the negativity around the FOA forum when Elizondo and Lemon were leading the offence is the reason that forum shut down.

I think the back-and-forth between Area 51 and Byron Parker on that forum was also a contributing factor. I do not believe anyone realized who Area 51 was at the time.

R.J
10-28-2018, 02:39 PM
I think the back-and-forth between Area 51 and Byron Parker on that forum was also a contributing factor. I do not believe anyone realized who Area 51 was at the time.
I recall Younger and Parker calling us out as fans at one point.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2018, 05:45 PM

Whatever happened to that Elizondo fellow anyway? :)

R.J
10-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Whatever happened to that Elizondo fellow anyway? :)
He's teaching the Ottawa Redblacks how to hit a proper serve.

OV Argo
10-29-2018, 12:18 AM

Ravi, you and I go way back to the days of Total CFL (?) in CFL fan forum history (at least that was the first I joined), eh? Seems like a long internet time ago; and i guess it was ? ;o) There were other pan-CFL sites as opposed to more team fan sites.

Riderfans has tons of traffic compared to here and Lionbackers (which i find to be a good site - similar to here - with a number of veteran, knowledgeable posters who I enjoy reading); I used to go on the old Ticats, Bombers and Als fans sites and post a bit there, but that was many moons ago. You have to wade through lots of junk and hater types on some of these fan forums, but you can still find interesting opinions, views and CFL info.

The comments forum on the 3rd Down Nation (?) site (is that what it is ? - with Drew Edwards & Dustin Junk) was right out of control full of whack jobs, wannabes and haters who spewed all kinds of garbage & venom (including a former well known poster on a bunch of CFL sites getting to use it as an un-moderated forum to run his clueless, hater agenda). I think it got shut-down ? Deserved to be anyways, inspite of few very good posters.

AngeloV
10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
He's teaching the Ottawa Redblacks how to hit a proper serve.

LMFAO. Whatever happened to Fungi anyway?

R.J
10-29-2018, 02:06 PM
LMFAO. Whatever happened to Fungi anyway?
Fungi, Midnight Blue, and 1argoholic are 3 posters I miss around here.

AngeloV
10-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Fungi, Midnight Blue, and 1argoholic are 3 posters I miss around here.

They were all to my liking, especially 1argoholic.

Argofan_1000
10-29-2018, 05:38 PM

who was Area 51?

Will
10-29-2018, 06:02 PM
who was Area 51?

Ricky Foley's brother.

argos1873
11-16-2018, 05:18 PM

Obviously. I wasn't being critical of the forum or who runs it (I think its you?) Really, I'm just sad that that's all the MAIN forum for this team can muster, even if not a single finger was lifted to encourage a single person to join, it should be much higher for a professional sports team. So in reality I WAS complaining about the lack of presence the team has in the marketplace, not the forum or its owner.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8