PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Argonauts moving to Mexico ?

R.J
11-02-2018, 05:50 PM
At least one home game in 2019 could be.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-could-play-two-games-in-mexico-in-2019-1.1202839

Make sense that it would be the Argos giving up at least one home game, and also might explain why season tickets haven't gone up for sale yet (most other CFL teams have done so already).

ArgoZ
11-02-2018, 06:15 PM
For selfish reasons, a road trip I could get behind, especially if there is a team organized promotion. I've been wanting to go to Mexico City and this gives me the perfect excuse. Despite what people may tell you, it's very safe in the city core.

Mightygoose
11-02-2018, 06:36 PM
I have no issue with an early July game against a non SK Western team.

If we're getting 8 home games next year, I hope the trade off is we don't have to host a Thursday night game.

Otherwise, Si!!

Argo
11-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Fair catch? We ain't got no fair catch. We don't need no fair catch. I don't have to show you any stinkin' fair catch!

ArgoZ
11-02-2018, 07:29 PM
They are talking a 40 000+ crowd. That would be a huge revenue boost for the Argonauts.

argotom
11-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Not a bad idea, to grow or expose our game internationally.

R.J
11-02-2018, 09:48 PM
They are talking a 40 000+ crowd. That would be a huge revenue boost for the Argonauts.
Not necessarily, as the CFL would most likely buyout the Argo home game.

Antwon
11-02-2018, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry but with Montreal, BC and Toronto having attendance issues, the league focus should be on that. Not Mexico.

ArgoZ
11-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Not necessarily, as the CFL would most likely buyout the Argo home game.

Could said team say "No thanks" then? Can the league force a team to play in another country? Somehow I doubt the struggling Argos would be shut out of all profits.

R.J
11-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Could said team say "No thanks" then? Can the league force a team to play in another country? Somehow I doubt the struggling Argos would be shut out of all profits.
They would still make more money than a true Toronto home game with a buyout. I suppose they could split the profits, but zero chance the League doesn't make a nice chunk of the money off this potential game, especially with it being Ambrosie's baby.

Joe Barnes
11-02-2018, 10:39 PM
The price of our season ticket packages would be adjusted accordingly, I assume...

jerrym
11-02-2018, 10:47 PM
The Argos playing in Mexico fits in with Ambrosie's earlier comments about an agreement with the Professional American Football League of Mexico (LFA) and the possibility of bringing some Mexican players to the CFL as global players.

“Our plan in the short term is to welcome some of the very best players from Mexico into our great league under a new category ‘global player,'” Ambrosie said during the media availability. “We’ve been talking to our governors, our teams, our players about the opportunities that this would create to expand the game of football, to bring to Canadian football and players from around the world to excite them and thrill them.” ...

The LFA was founded in 2016 and currently has eight teams and schedule starting in the third week of February and finishing in April with the Mexico Bowl. Teams are currently permitted to field two foreign players per team, usually from NCAA Division II or III schools.
http://3downnation.com/2018/10/04/cfl-no-agreement-mexican-football-league/

Treblecharger1
11-02-2018, 10:52 PM
No issues with this... Mexico City is awesome to visit and flights with interjet are nice and cheap :)

doubleblue
11-04-2018, 12:07 PM
The price of our season ticket packages would be adjusted accordingly, I assume...

If it ever happens an Argo home game would be at the top of the list I would think. Maybe they're thinking of a pre-season game first. I think it's a great idea though show the CFL game outside of Canada. I wonder how a game would be received in Germany, they seemed to support NFL Europe the best.

CFLfan
11-04-2018, 01:17 PM
No issues with this... Mexico City is awesome to visit and flights with interjet are nice and cheap :)

One of the biggest problems is the fact that the average wage in Mexico is $680 per month, not too many people can afford to go to football games.
I can't see that they would make much money out of holding a CFL game there.
The Mexican soccer league is cheap admission and their players don't earn much and the best players head north to the MLS so they can make a living.

timlb01
11-05-2018, 10:02 AM
One of the biggest problems is the fact that the average wage in Mexico is $680 per month, not too many people can afford to go to football games.
The Mexican soccer league is cheap admission and their players don't earn much and the best players head north to the MLS so they can make a living.

Over 200K attended the Mexican F1 GP 2 weeks ago. Don't underestimate the money and attendance there. I think this is a smart move. Hopefully the league can find more revenue down the road in other places in the world. Finally a commissioner with vision.

mchesher03
11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
I cannot believe this is a plausible idea. I’m in the camp of growing the game in Canada – I don’t see growth for the CFL internationally the same as others and even Ambrosie but I guess that’s why he’s in the position he’s in.

Hope whatever he chooses works out though.

paulwoods13
11-05-2018, 03:38 PM
I’m in the camp of growing the game in Canada – I don’t see growth for the CFL internationally the same as others and even Ambrosie but I guess that’s why he’s in the position he’s in.

Unfortunately the game not only does not seem to be growing in Canada, it seems to be shrinking. Attendance has been dismal recently in almost every city in the league. Some of that is circumstantial (meaningless games) but nonetheless it is disturbing to see so many empty seats in places other than Toronto (where we have become used to it). Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton and Montreal have all had buildings that looked almost empty in the past few weeks. Ambrosie may have no choice but to try to build interest (and more importantly, generate revenue) elsewhere. Growing a league that has the same number of teams it had in 1954, at a time when other established leagues have expanded many times since then, and while new leagues and sports are starting up in Canada, is a big challenge.

RB957
11-05-2018, 03:49 PM

When the NFL has staged games there, they have had no problem filling the seats. There are people with money there and I guess if they are willing to spend it on the CFL, what is the harm? However, I don't see this as the CFL growing our game.. to me it is a revenue generator pure and simple... and the Argos would be the perfect team to participate since our home attendance is so poor anyway.

Unfortunately the game not only does not seem to be growing in Canada, it seems to be shrinking. Attendance has been dismal recently in almost every city in the league. Some of that is circumstantial (meaningless games) but nonetheless it is disturbing to see so many empty seats in places other than Toronto (where we have become used to it). Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton and Montreal have all had buildings that looked almost empty in the past few weeks. Ambrosie may have no choice but to try to build interest (and more importantly, generate revenue) elsewhere. Growing a league that has the same number of teams it had in 1954, at a time when other established leagues have expanded many times since then, and while new leagues and sports are starting up in Canada, is a big challenge.

I agree Paul, but I think that it is not just CFL football that is going to face major challenges, but football in general. With all of the issues surrounding head trauma etc., fewer kids will be playing football. And the university game in Canada is not thriving either, so the talent pool for quality Canadian players will be smaller, notwithstanding that the best ones can still go to school in the U.S.

An expansion team in Halifax gives some hope for the future. But the biggest issue in growing the game here is the fact that the country is so huge geographically but the population is concentrated in a few locations. Where else could the league grow after Halifax? I would love to see a team in Quebec City, and possibly a second team in Saskatchewan some day. But other than that, where else do you go? London/Kitchener/Waterloo??

paulwoods13
11-05-2018, 04:26 PM
I agree Paul, but I think that it is not just CFL football that is going to face major challenges, but football in general. With all of the issues surrounding head trauma etc., fewer kids will be playing football. And the university game in Canada is not thriving either, so the talent pool for quality Canadian players will be smaller, notwithstanding that the best ones can still go to school in the U.S.

An expansion team in Halifax gives some hope for the future. But the biggest issue in growing the game here is the fact that the country is so huge geographically but the population is concentrated in a few locations. Where else could the league grow after Halifax? I would love to see a team in Quebec City, and possibly a second team in Saskatchewan some day. But other than that, where else do you go? London/Kitchener/Waterloo??

I agree on all points. Football is in trouble and will need to change to survive, IMO. I could see flag or even touch football eventually replacing what we have now. You could still have highlight-reel catches, great runs and so on, but with a much-reduced likelihood of head trauma, and smaller rosters . As for Canada, the Okanagan seems to be a growth area and IMO would be more viable than another market in southern Ontario, but realistically the best the CFL can hope for here is 12 teams (say Halifax, Quebec and Saskatoon), and that seems very unlikely.

argolio
11-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Ambrosie may have no choice but to try to build interest (and more importantly, generate revenue) elsewhere.Bingo! That's Ambrosie's primary mandate.

shayman
11-06-2018, 10:37 AM
I agree on all points. Football is in trouble and will need to change to survive, IMO. I could see flag or even touch football eventually replacing what we have now.

or Rugby maybe. Back to football's roots. Thought experiment: If the CFL switched overnight to rugby, would you still be a fan? I think I would; a lot of the attraction for me is seeing my city challenging your city in an exciting Canadian environment in front of tens of thousands of like-minded partisans. I'm not too hung up on the details.

It's been interesting watching the evolution of the Toronto Wolfpack. I was skeptical that it would work, but it seems to be (championship game setback notwithstanding.)

paulwoods13
11-06-2018, 11:51 AM
or Rugby maybe. Back to football's roots. Thought experiment: If the CFL switched overnight to rugby, would you still be a fan? I think I would; a lot of the attraction for me is seeing my city challenging your city in an exciting Canadian environment in front of tens of thousands of like-minded partisans. I'm not too hung up on the details.

It's been interesting watching the evolution of the Toronto Wolfpack. I was skeptical that it would work, but it seems to be (championship game setback notwithstanding.)

Interesting question. I enjoy rugby but would really miss forward passing. If it came down to a choice between watching the Cdn Rugby Football League or the National Football League, I would almost certainly choose the latter, notwithstanding the lack of a local team to root for.

shayman
11-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Interesting question. I enjoy rugby but would really miss forward passing. If it came down to a choice between watching the Cdn Rugby Football League or the National Football League, I would almost certainly choose the latter, notwithstanding the lack of a local team to root for.

Understood - the NFL isn't immune to the same issues threatening Canadian football. NFL may need to change course in the future too.

Rugby, but with forward passes. How about that :-)

I've often wondered if you could ever measure how many people go to the game - any game - because they really love the details of the sport itself, and how many are just there for the shared experience. There's a lot to be said for being in a stadium full of enthusiasm, regardless of the game. (This is the only thing I can think of that explains soccer :-))

CFLfan
11-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Over 200K attended the Mexican F1 GP 2 weeks ago. Don't underestimate the money and attendance there. I think this is a smart move. Hopefully the league can find more revenue down the road in other places in the world. Finally a commissioner with vision.

Just like the Montreal F-1 GP, the Europeans fly in by the thousands to follow their race team, they follow their F-1 teams all over the world. Rich Mexicans will also attend, F-1 is known world wide.
The NFL teams playing in Mexico this month will have thousands of their own fans flying in for it, the NFL is on Mexican TV and is well known there. The games are in Spanish on telemondo.

The CFL is unknown it's not on TV there, it's not going to be a slam dunk money maker just because the NFL is playing a game there.
They are going to have to do a lot of marketing to sell a CFL game.

There are wealthy people in Mexico City but the average wage in Mexico is $680 and the average citizen won't be attending the games.

argolio
11-06-2018, 05:14 PM
The CFL would almost certainly get a minimum revenue guarantee before agreeing to this. It would be up to the local organizers to sell tickets.

shayman
11-13-2018, 06:21 PM
The NFL had planned a Chiefs/Rams game next Monday night in Mexico City - but it's just been moved to Los Angeles because of poor field conditions at Estadio Azteca.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-chiefs-mexico-city-20181113-story.html

"A concert nine days before the planned kickoff left the playing surface at the Mexico City stadium in serious disrepair. That raised concerns about player safety with the league. Efforts to re-sod the turf were insufficient to convince the NFL to stay."

Joe Barnes
11-13-2018, 09:45 PM
The NFL had planned a Chiefs/Rams game next Monday night in Mexico City - but it's just been moved to Los Angeles because of poor field conditions at Estadio Azteca.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-chiefs-mexico-city-20181113-story.html

"A concert nine days before the planned kickoff left the playing surface at the Mexico City stadium in serious disrepair. That raised concerns about player safety with the league. Efforts to re-sod the turf were insufficient to convince the NFL to stay."

"There were plans to lay an inferior artificial turf on parts of the field, including the end zones, but Mexican officials refused, exclaiming 'We don't need no stinking indoor/outdoor!! What do you think this is, BMO Field?!?!'"(sarcasm, of course)

AngeloV
11-14-2018, 10:14 AM
"There were plans to lay an inferior artificial turf on parts of the field, including the end zones, but Mexican officials refused, exclaiming 'We don't need no stinking indoor/outdoor!! What do you think this is, BMO Field?!?!'"(sarcasm, of course)

They couldn't get "Giovanni" to sign off on it.

argos1873
11-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Rugby, but with forward passes. How about that :-)

I've talked about this very thing, on this board and others many times, and I actually think, IMHO, its the only way in the future (well not the only way, but a way to succeed in the future.) I won't go into too many details, as the plan has never been too well received and I don't feel like going over it again, but I think there are many advantages to this approach. Here are but a few: Further differentiate the game from the American game. The reason this could be advantageous is that it would no longer give people an either or scenario. Too many people erroneously think the CFL is just a clone of the NFL, with a few "gimmicky" rules to make it different and more "exciting". Those who know, realize that's not the case, but there's a huge amount of people who are casual fans who don't know this. If you made the game truly distinct, a sort of rugby/gridiron hybrid, there's no longer that confusion and thinking that the CFL and Canadian football itself, is just an inferior NFL. How could it be, when its its own standalone game. Secondly in conjuction with junior and university football, Canadian players would be trained and groomed for this distinct style of football. In that, they would become THE BEST at Canadian football. No longer would a first round draft pick sign with the NFL, and no longer would we need to rely on "second rate" US college players to fill rosters. Sure the game might have enough similarities with US football, and Rugby that the odd player from one of those codes would be able to crack a Canadian football lineup, but presumably the learning curve would be too steep for that to become a common occurrence. In this way the CFL becomes the premier league for Canadian football, without negative comparisons to any other game (for the most part).

Those are just a few things I could think of right now. I used to have a plan of how this could be done, though knowing full well it never will be done, so I used to have a lot more details of what my plan is. For now, I just think its kind of fun to think about. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone else talk about something like this, without me bringing it up, so I thought I'd chime in.

Argofan_1000
11-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Just like the Montreal F-1 GP, the Europeans fly in by the thousands to follow their race team, they follow their F-1 teams all over the world. Rich Mexicans will also attend, F-1 is known world wide.
The NFL teams playing in Mexico this month will have thousands of their own fans flying in for it, the NFL is on Mexican TV and is well known there. The games are in Spanish on telemondo.

The CFL is unknown it's not on TV there, it's not going to be a slam dunk money maker just because the NFL is playing a game there.
They are going to have to do a lot of marketing to sell a CFL game.

There are wealthy people in Mexico City but the average wage in Mexico is $680 and the average citizen won't be attending the games.

CFL will capitalize on the cities names in Mexico. Mexico knows Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. They will use those to sell the game

Joe Barnes
11-17-2018, 09:26 AM
I've talked about this very thing, on this board and others many times, and I actually think, IMHO, its the only way in the future (well not the only way, but a way to succeed in the future.) I won't go into too many details, as the plan has never been too well received and I don't feel like going over it again, but I think there are many advantages to this approach. Here are but a few: Further differentiate the game from the American game. The reason this could be advantageous is that it would no longer give people an either or scenario. Too many people erroneously think the CFL is just a clone of the NFL, with a few "gimmicky" rules to make it different and more "exciting". Those who know, realize that's not the case, but there's a huge amount of people who are casual fans who don't know this. If you made the game truly distinct, a sort of rugby/gridiron hybrid, there's no longer that confusion and thinking that the CFL and Canadian football itself, is just an inferior NFL. How could it be, when its its own standalone game. Secondly in conjuction with junior and university football, Canadian players would be trained and groomed for this distinct style of football. In that, they would become THE BEST at Canadian football. No longer would a first round draft pick sign with the NFL, and no longer would we need to rely on "second rate" US college players to fill rosters. Sure the game might have enough similarities with US football, and Rugby that the odd player from one of those codes would be able to crack a Canadian football lineup, but presumably the learning curve would be too steep for that to become a common occurrence. In this way the CFL becomes the premier league for Canadian football, without negative comparisons to any other game (for the most part).

Those are just a few things I could think of right now. I used to have a plan of how this could be done, though knowing full well it never will be done, so I used to have a lot more details of what my plan is. For now, I just think its kind of fun to think about. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone else talk about something like this, without me bringing it up, so I thought I'd chime in.

I think you are on to something, on all counts. Sadly, I believe the football we all love (the already distinctive Canadian game and it's American cousin) is going to go the way of the dodo. Parents today don't want their kids playing it due to the concussion issue. In 20 years, there just won't be enough players. Rugby is growing in popularity, though, and seems to be filling the 'tackle sport' void. It is seen as safer and a good sport for aerobic fitness (like soccer), with the added benefit of being cheaper to play. High schools are dropping football, due to insurance costs and the costs of outfitting teams, while rugby and soccer are growing in popularity. Personally, I find this odd, because CTE is caused by an accumulation of sub-concussive hits as much as outright concussions, and rugby is full of sub-concussive hits - every time a players forward progress is stopped suddenly. But, for now, it is seen as the safer option. And that, perhaps, is where the opportunity lies for Canadian football going forward. The kind of hybrid rugby/football game you are suggesting may seem radical but it sure beats the idea of flag football!

ArgoGabe22
11-17-2018, 11:57 AM
I think you are on to something, on all counts. Sadly, I believe the football we all love (the already distinctive Canadian game and it's American cousin) is going to go the way of the dodo. Parents today don't want their kids playing it due to the concussion issue. In 20 years, there just won't be enough players. Rugby is growing in popularity, though, and seems to be filling the 'tackle sport' void. It is seen as safer and a good sport for aerobic fitness (like soccer), with the added benefit of being cheaper to play. High schools are dropping football, due to insurance costs and the costs of outfitting teams, while rugby and soccer are growing in popularity. Personally, I find this odd, because CTE is caused by an accumulation of sub-concussive hits as much as outright concussions, and rugby is full of sub-concussive hits - every time a players forward progress is stopped suddenly. But, for now, it is seen as the safer option. And that, perhaps, is where the opportunity lies for Canadian football going forward. The kind of hybrid rugby/football game you are suggesting may seem radical but it sure beats the idea of flag football!

I don’t know if rugby is really becoming more popular. Highschool teams are folding too and had to introduce 7s because turnout was becoming very low. Soccer on the other hand is easy to understand and all you need is a ball to get started, so it will always be more popular. But this isn’t new. I don’t know if soccer can really become even more popular then it is/ever was.

Joe Barnes
11-17-2018, 05:13 PM
I don’t know if rugby is really becoming more popular. Highschool teams are folding too and had to introduce 7s because turnout was becoming very low. Soccer on the other hand is easy to understand and all you need is a ball to get started, so it will always be more popular. But this isn’t new. I don’t know if soccer can really become even more popular then it is/ever was.

Rugby enrollment shrinking too? I didn't realize that, but it's not surprising, considering the concussion concerns. If the brain science continues to reveal the risks in our traditional sports, I guess we will see non-contact hockey, flag football, soccer without heading the ball, and a rise in ultimate frisbee!

Argofan_1000
11-17-2018, 08:28 PM
I would not be interested in a Rugby highbred version for the CFL. I want rule changes but it would not be what has been suggested. Looks to me like the CFL and NFL need to fix the head shots on a QB. If that can happen we will of fixed a lot of the problem.

ArgoRavi
11-18-2018, 02:10 AM
Rugby enrollment shrinking too? I didn't realize that, but it's not surprising, considering the concussion concerns. If the brain science continues to reveal the risks in our traditional sports, I guess we will see non-contact hockey, flag football, soccer without heading the ball, and a rise in ultimate frisbee!

Rugby is no safer than football for the concussion risks. I don't see that replacing Canadian football in any way.

paulwoods13
11-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Rugby also lacks the most interesting and entertaining aspect of modern football -- forward passing. That's why I could see flag or touch football eventually replacing what we have now -- it would still allow for the incredible precision and athleticism required of a high-octane passing attack, with vastly reduced injury risk.

AngeloV
11-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Rugby also lacks the most interesting and entertaining aspect of modern football -- forward passing. That's why I could see flag or touch football eventually replacing what we have now -- it would still allow for the incredible precision and athleticism required of a high-octane passing attack, with vastly reduced injury risk.

I honestly don’t see football going away in our lifetimes. Nobody will pay to watch touch or flag football. As someone that played both touch and flag for 25 years after I finished playing contact ball, I can also tel you that adult leagues in non contact football are losing membership even faster than high school football is. Touch Football Ontario tournaments have less than half as many teams than they did just 5 years ago. In 20 years, the Metro Touch Football league has gone from 8 divisions of 12 teams to 2017 where they had 2 divisions of 5 teams. I don’t even know if they ran this fall, as their website is no longer updated.

I’m of the opinion that hockey is just as dangerous as football because of the speed of the game and the fact that hitting into boards and glass is legal. As long as the sports offer an opportunity to make the money that they pay at the highest level that they do, these sports will never die. We live in a society where everything is about money to a lot of people.

ArgoZ
11-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Have any of you attended college football in the states? After that experience, I don't see how anyone could fathom some kind of end of American football, contact especially or otherwise.

argos1873
11-20-2018, 02:07 PM

Anecdotally, when I was in high school, I played both football and rugby. I really don't remember anyone getting seriously hurt playing football. But I know loads of people, including myself, who got seriously hurt playing rugby. I seriously hurt my lower back, which still affects me 30 years later. I know someone who was temporarily paralyzed, a guy who had his bell rung so hard he was out cold for minutes (I'm sure a concussion, but they did really care about that then) a guy who broke his leg, and a guy who seriously separated his shoulder.

argos1873
11-20-2018, 02:08 PM

That's where the hybrid form of rugby-football would come into play. There's no way the forward pass would ever go away.

AngeloV
11-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Have any of you attended college football in the states? After that experience, I don't see how anyone could fathom some kind of end of American football, contact especially or otherwise.

It's a different bird down there. A lot of poverty, and football is a way out for many. I agree, contact football isn't going anywhere. Furthermore, despite the declining numbers in high school football, at least in the GTA, have any University programs had a decline in numbers?

doubleblue
11-20-2018, 05:35 PM
There's no way IMO a Rugby/CFL Football cross would ever fly. Not saying they couldn't start something but they would be playing to crowds of up to 2,000 maybe. Us Argo fans could make fun them with their paltry crowds. lol

I don't think the decline of high school football will diminish to number of elite players in Canada because of the rise of minor football in most areas. All of us who played high school football know that there were players on those teams who, shall we say, should have stuck to other less physical sports. Minor football after maybe peewee have all the better players playing. Bantam, Midget and then Junior club football. That's where its at now.

Argofan_1000
11-20-2018, 06:33 PM
There's no way IMO a Rugby/CFL Football cross would ever fly. Not saying they couldn't start something but they would be playing to crowds of up to 2,000 maybe. Us Argo fans could make fun them with their paltry crowds. lol

I don't think the decline of high school football will diminish to number of elite players in Canada because of the rise of minor football in most areas. All of us who played high school football know that there were players on those teams who, shall we say, should have stuck to other less physical sports. Minor football after maybe peewee have all the better players playing. Bantam, Midget and then Junior club football. That's where its at now.

The combine should expand to allow a "combine" of sorts with high school football players. players get recommended by their coaches and Usports scouts them. CFL gets behind it and it becomes an event. Would it work?

ArgoRavi
11-21-2018, 07:35 PM
The combine should expand to allow a "combine" of sorts with high school football players. players get recommended by their coaches and Usports scouts them. CFL gets behind it and it becomes an event. Would it work?

There is something like what you have proposed set to happen next spring in Ottawa. I recall TSN having the guy on who is running this event during a late season RedBlacks game. I believe that this all-star game will even be televised live on TSN.

AngeloV
11-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Watching Sportscentre this morning, the Grey Cup will be played on ESPN Deportes in Mexico, and it will have their own broadcasters doing the game in Spanish, including Arogs DE Frank Beltre who is fluent in Spanish. Farhan Lalji thinks it's a real possibility that there might be a couple of CFL games in Mexico as early as next season. Why do I get the feeling the Argos will lose a home game to this? Guessing it will be 2 of Arogs, Als and Lions that would be the teams that "host" a game in Mexico, as they can probably use the bigger gate moreso than other teams.

gilthethrill
11-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Watching Sportscentre this morning, the Grey Cup will be played on ESPN Deportes in Mexico, and it will have their own broadcasters doing the game in Spanish, including Arogs DE Frank Beltre who is fluent in Spanish. Farhan Lalji thinks it's a real possibility that there might be a couple of CFL games in Mexico as early as next season. Why do I get the feeling the Argos will lose a home game to this? Guessing it will be 2 of Arogs, Als and Lions that would be the teams that "host" a game in Mexico, as they can probably use the bigger gate moreso than other teams.

I hope no one gets power slammed through the Spanish announcers table this Sunday.

argolio
11-22-2018, 09:26 PM
I hope no one gets power slammed through the Spanish announcers table this Sunday.lol!

SkalbaniasGhost
11-22-2018, 09:49 PM
There is something like what you have proposed set to happen next spring in Ottawa. I recall TSN having the guy on who is running this event during a late season RedBlacks game. I believe that this all-star game will even be televised live on TSN.
The event your referring to is called the CFC prospect game http://cfcprospectgame.com/. The game is organized by Lee Barrette, who runs Canada Football Chat https://canadafootballchat.com/ which has been a promoter/organizer of amateur football recruitment in Canada.Lee Barrette was featured on the TSN CFL draft coverage in 2016/17.There are other tireless promoters including Kent Ridley who runs http://www.topprospects.ca/.They have been running youth combines for some time helping kids continue their schooling via football.

Will
11-23-2018, 11:35 AM
lol!

Is Hugh Savinovich still the PBP guy for the Spanish PPV broadcasts?

I was watching the Bret-Austin match for Survivor Series 96 a few weeks back and the poor guy took a bit of collateral damage.

AngeloV
11-23-2018, 12:06 PM
I hope no one gets power slammed through the Spanish announcers table this Sunday.

Former CFLer Tito Santana on commentary? He was a tremendous competitor.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8