PDA

View Full Version : Official Coaching Search Thread

Will
11-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Now that Marc Trestman has been relieved of his duties, please use this thread for all discussions related to the Argonauts search for a new head coach.

AngeloV
11-03-2018, 11:18 AM
For me: Lapo first choice. Steiauer 2nd (although I can't see it happening), and Claybrooks third.

R.J
11-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Condell, Condell, Condell. Barring that I hope whomever Popp brings in keeps Condell around, and allows him full control over the offence. TBH though, I'm at the point where anyone who avoids the Trestman offence like the plague is a great hire IMO.

Will
11-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Condell, Condell, Condell. Barring that I hope whomever Popp brings in keeps Condell around, and allows him full control over the offence. TBH though, I'm at the point where anyone who avoids the Trestman offence like the plague is a great hire IMO.

My ideal situation would be bring Steinauer home as head coach, and Condell as Assistant Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator.

AngeloV
11-03-2018, 12:02 PM

I like LaPo's offence better than Condell's, but I would be ok with either one.

argotom
11-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Lapo for sure, he is an offensive genius and has been awesome during his second go round with the BB.
We need an offensive minded HC, who will hire the appropriate staff to include an OC who will call the plays.

R.J
11-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Lapo for sure, he is an offensive genius and has been awesome during his second go round with the BB.
We need an offensive minded HC, who will hire the appropriate staff to include an OC who will call the plays.
LaPolice like Trestman likes full control of his offence. Heck, even when he was forced to hire Crowton by Joe Mack and hand over the offence, Lapo still would try to call plays (a big reason he was fired as HC in Winnipeg).

Stevoman
11-03-2018, 01:34 PM
My criteria for any coach is to look at the talent that is there and assemble it in the best way that emphasizes the players strength. Obviously they will have a system but they need to be adaptable with that system to best utilize the players available. Please stop forcing the assembled talent to fit into a certain philosophy that is obviously not their strength (i.e. Tracy Ham and the run n shoot).

paulwoods13
11-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Hufnagel and Buono are probably not options, unfortunately.

I'm intrigued by Dickenson, Himebauch, Claybrooks and Washington.

I suspect the ultimate HC is going to be someone few -- maybe none -- of us saw coming.

paulwoods13
11-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Interesting to hear Popp say that some of the assistants have contracts for 2019, and at least some of them will likely have to stay on the staff unless they want to leave, because of the new football ops cap. I would guess that Himebauch, Eiben and Condell are the guys most likely to have multi-year deals. Hopefully Archer does not, but even if he does, I have to assume the new HC won't be forced to retain him.

Stevoman
11-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Of names that are floating around right now, Steinauer would be my first choice with Condell as O.C. and someone make a serious pitch for Chamblin to come back as D.C.

ArgoGabe22
11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I nominate AV for OC and OV as Director of Canadian Scouting.

doubleblue
11-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Himebauch would be my pick. He is a great communicator, which is important. But would need good experienced coordinators. If Condell is as good as others say on here, they already have their offensive guy. Chamblin did a great job last year. Different things heard why he left with still a year on his contract. Differences with Trestman? Personal?
Popp has just one year left on his three deal (that we know of) so how can he sign a new Coach for more than one year if he might not be here. The going rate seems to be a 3 year deal for a new Coach.
So Jim Popp is under the gun and can't make a mistake like he did in Montreal.

BTW. Jim looks really good physically. Good for him with his weight loss.

R.J
11-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Noel Thorpe could be another interesting potential candidate. Although, I wonder if he and Popp still have a good relationship as I recall Popp not allowing others teams to speak to him for an HC position when he was the DC in Montreal.

IMO there could be a very strong list of potential candidates:
- Mark Washington (who may end up being the HC in BC)
- Jason Maas (If let go by the Esks)
- Mike Benevides (While I am a fan of his, I don't think he deserves it at this point as I feel he needs to prove himself as a good DC again)
- Devone Claybrooks (May not feel he's ready, but I think worth an interview)
- Craig Dickenson (A good coach IMO, but I'd question his commitment as a potential Head Coach. He a skiing instructor or something like that and his football team's have had to work around it)
- Paul Lapolice (I think he'll get a couple of interview requests this off season)
- Orlondo Steinauer (Would Hamilton allow an interview ? He's the heir apparent there)
- Tommy Condell
- Jonathan Himebauch
- Jaime Elizondo (No thanks!)
- Noel Thorpe (chomping at the bit to get a shot at HC for awhile now)

OV Argo
11-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Gee, let me guess who it could be ? > ... a recycled GOB / and/or some American ex- CFL player with all of 3 or 4 total years of pro coaching experience ? LOL

And the brand new Argo offence will feature QB always in shot-gun, same old basic 5 pack look with one main RB and one basic, simple run play; 75% + pass play calls. And there will be only 7 NIs (or less if the BOGs & GOBs have their way with further reductions to Canadian player content on the rosters in a new CBA) who need to apply for starting/playing time in total on offence & defence ?

Just a hunch, ;o) Just call me Nostradamus or Kreskin on this one.

:fart:

Argo57
11-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Gee, let me guess who it could be ? > ... a recycled GOB / and/or some American ex- CFL player with all of 3 or 4 total years of pro coaching experience ? LOL

And the brand new Argo offence will feature QB always in shot-gun, same old basic 5 pack look with one main RB and one basic, simple run play; 75% + pass play calls. And there will be only 7 NIs (or less if the BOGs & GOBs have their way with further reductions to Canadian player content on the rosters in a new CBA) who need to apply for starting/playing time in total on offence & defence ?

Just a hunch, ;o) Just call me Nostradamus or Kreskin on this one.

:fart:

Who would be on your list OV?

Argo
11-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Noel Thorpe could be another interesting potential candidate. Although, I wonder if he and Popp still have a good relationship as I recall Popp not allowing others teams to speak to him for an HC position when he was the DC in Montreal.

IMO there could be a very strong list of potential candidates:
- Mark Washington (who may end up being the HC in BC)
- Jason Maas (If let go by the Esks)
- Mike Benevides (While I am a fan of his, I don't think he deserves it at this point as I feel he needs to prove himself as a good DC again)
- Devone Claybrooks (May not feel he's ready, but I think worth an interview)
- Craig Dickenson (A good coach IMO, but I'd question his commitment as a potential Head Coach. He a skiing instructor or something like that and his football team's have had to work around it)
- Paul Lapolice (I think he'll get a couple of interview requests this off season)
- Orlondo Steinauer (Would Hamilton allow an interview ? He's the heir apparent there)
- Tommy Condell
- Jonathan Himebauch
- Jaime Elizondo (No thanks!)
- Noel Thorpe (chomping at the bit to get a shot at HC for awhile now)

Popp has already mentioned that the next HC didn't need to have been an offensive coach, so Washington and Thorpe are likely to be counted as candidates.

Argo57
11-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Popp has already mentioned that the next HC didn't need to have been an offensive coach, so Washington and Thorpe are likely to be counted as candidates.

Chamblin should also get a call if only to gauge his interest in returning.

jerrym
11-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Orlando Steinauer, Devone Claybrooks, and Paul LaPolice in that order.

ArgoRavi
11-04-2018, 03:23 AM

I am guessing Glen Constantin, Stefan Ptaszek, Blake Nill, and Greg Marshall (the former Hamilton head coach).

AngeloV
11-04-2018, 10:20 AM
LaPolice like Trestman likes full control of his offence. Heck, even when he was forced to hire Crowton by Joe Mack and hand over the offence, Lapo still would try to call plays (a big reason he was fired as HC in Winnipeg).

I have no issue with that. His offence is very diverse and you never know what’s coming next.

AngeloV
11-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Does it matter? If a Usport coach was hired and failed he would put the blame squarely on the GOB’s he has to report to.

doubleblue
11-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I am guessing Glen Constantin, Stefan Ptaszek, Blake Nill, and Greg Marshall (the former Hamilton head coach).

:D

Poppy did say he was going to look at all aspects. (for whatever it's worth)

gilthethrill
11-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Is Michael O'Shea's contract due to expire in Winnipeg?

doubleblue
11-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Just thought of another guy. Marcus Brady.

This is going to be a tough call for Jim Popp as he appears to be under the gun as well. That was a shot across the bow IMO by Manning when he fired Trestman the morning after. The message was IMO again that MLSE are not going to fool around and be patient. With Montreal and the Wetenhall's (or what ever their name is) Jim seemed to be able to sweet talk them into his way of thinking, hiring Coaches he thought he could control. Maybe I'm all wrong but that was the appearances to me. So as IMO Jim hasn't an easy task. Picking an assistant coach how do you know what he will be as the head guy. People change once they become the head guy. Some can't handle it and other blossom. So who is out there, that's available, who is or has been a Head Coach. That way you know what you're getting. Wally's done. Maas? maybe a OC, Dickinson don't know his contract status, Ego Jones (that would be interesting), O'Shea contract's up I believe, Campbell ? not Toronto type, Austin (would he work for Popp)?, Lapo? that might be the right fit for Jim.

I don't know what Chris "ego" Jones (I got that from OV) lol contract status is right now but he would be the most headline grabber of the bunch. But unless he got fired from Saskatchewan he would be taking a step down, the guy knows how to build a ball club, especially defense.

Argo
11-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Is Michael O'Shea's contract due to expire in Winnipeg?

O'Shea... now that's an idea.

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2018, 02:21 PM
O'Shea... now that's an idea.

Probably at half way through the season, I was thinking this may be a possibility since WPG and Nichols was all over the place at that point. But ever since they got hot, I don’t see it happening. I really did think Winnipeg would move on without O’Shea if things didn’t improve.

jerrym
11-04-2018, 04:21 PM
I'd love to see O'Shea too but I just don't think that is remotely likely to happen. As to Marcus Brady, I hope that's not happening because he never inspired any confidence in me.

Will
11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
I feel like I need to see how the Blue Bombers do in the playoffs before I judge whether or not I'd want O'Shea in Toronto as coach. The Bombers have two consecutive semi-final exits and I'm not sure if I'd be totally confident in a coach who hasn't shown that he get his team over the hump...yet.

Mind you if the Bombers go anywhere this year, this will all be a moot point.

RB957
11-05-2018, 03:36 PM
I'd love to see O'Shea too but I just don't think that is remotely likely to happen. As to Marcus Brady, I hope that's not happening because he never inspired any confidence in me.

I feel like I need to see how the Blue Bombers do in the playoffs before I judge whether or not I'd want O'Shea in Toronto as coach. The Bombers have two consecutive semi-final exits and I'm not sure if I'd be totally confident in a coach who hasn't shown that he get his team over the hump...yet.

Mind you if the Bombers go anywhere this year, this will all be a moot point.

O'Shea coming to Toronto might not be as far-fetched an idea as some think. He has strong ties to this city, and owned/managed a roadhouse restaurant here (not sure if he still has it). It would be a big move to come back to Toronto and build a winner here.

I like the idea of LaPolice and Steinhauer, although I can't see Hamilton letting him go.

Definite NO to Jason Maas... don't like his attitude. He really ticked me off when the league first went live mic on the coaches where he at first refused to wear the mic, and then after getting fined, wore the mic but didn't say a word. Also don't like his temper tantrums on the sidelines.

I don't like the idea of bringing in Stefan Ptazek. He was not successful as just an Offensive Coordinator, so why take the risk on him as Head Coach.

Chris Jones would not give up total control to be just a HC, and even if he did, I would see potential for strong head butting with Popp, given both have strong personalities. So no to him as well.

Will
11-05-2018, 03:49 PM
I think it is one or the other when it comes to LaPolice and Steinauer. The reason for that is because only one of them will get a promotion, and the other team is unlikely to allow the other go for a move that wouldn't be a promotion.

Argo
11-05-2018, 05:22 PM

The last thing the team needs is another iteration of the Trestman - Milanovich - Brady - Trestman offense in 2019. Brady as HC might induce that sort of thing. Please no.

Argo57
11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
My top two at this point are LaPolice and Steinauer.
As some have stated Hamilton may want to keep him around as their next HC but he also has a strong history with the Argonauts.
LaPolice at least runs an interesting offence and has previous HC experience so he is a strong possibility as well, another important aspect of any candidate will be the quality of coaching staff they are able to assemble.

Rich
11-06-2018, 01:19 AM
I want to see a coach who wants to run a high-octane razzle-dazzle offence -- something that can excite the fans -- and who knows how to do it.

Because you gotta figure both Manning and Popp are both very much inclined to trade for Johnny Manziel. It looks like Montreal is willing to deal, and it also looks like Johnny could turn into the right guy to run a successful high-octane razzle-dazzle offence in the CFL. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say the guy's got a chance to be a great one up here.

And best of all, a Johnny Manziel offence would perfectly suit James Franklin too. What a one-two punch that could be running read options, QB draws, and all kinds of other things that mobile QBs do that drive defences crazy. The catch would be that the Argonauts would need to extend Manziel to at least 2020, but depending on the new CBA, he might be swayed to stay here longer.

So, anybody know of a coach who can run an offence like this? Could LaPo do it?

R.J
11-06-2018, 03:49 AM
I want to see a coach who wants to run a high-octane razzle-dazzle offence -- something that can excite the fans -- and who knows how to do it.

Because you gotta figure both Manning and Popp are both very much inclined to trade for Johnny Manziel. It looks like Montreal is willing to deal, and it also looks like Johnny could turn into the right guy to run a successful high-octane razzle-dazzle offence in the CFL. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say the guy's got a chance to be a great one up here.

And best of all, a Johnny Manziel offence would perfectly suit James Franklin too. What a one-two punch that could be running read options, QB draws, and all kinds of other things that mobile QBs do that drive defences crazy. The catch would be that the Argonauts would need to extend Manziel to at least 2020, but depending on the new CBA, he might be swayed to stay here longer.

So, anybody know of a coach who can run an offence like this? Could LaPo do it?
Maybe trade Franklin for Manziel - I think Kavis would do it lol.

Lapo, Condell, June Jones, and Khari Jones are the only OC's right now that I think could do what you're talking about.

Antwon
11-06-2018, 12:46 PM
I'd say Lapolice or Steinauer.
Steinauer is being groomed for the HC in Hamilton. But with the management cap coming in I don't know how they could keep Jones and Steinauer.
Lapolice runs a diverse offence and seems to adapt to the players he has.

And no to Johnny Football! Anyone can see Pipkin is the better QB there.

Skilz
11-06-2018, 04:06 PM
It would be curious to consider whether the Argos would run into the same issues Kavis and friends ran into last year while hiring a coach.

I know that 3DownNation was reporting that Claybrooks and Condell declined an interview due to disfunctionality.

I presume the same would be the case in terms of our team for the following reasons:

1) Forcing the new coach to retain a few of the former coaching regime due to salary cap reasons
2) Promoting of the Argos Brand via Social Media - Something Belichick Lite Trestman did not entertain.
3) Stiffer coaching competition (and pay raises) from upstarts like the AAFL or XFL.

It remains interesting whether one or all of the candidates mentioned actually declines an interview...interesting times ahead.

stuntdog
11-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Bring back John Huard and his infamous popsicle breaks :ohno:

jerrym
11-08-2018, 12:39 AM
Whether he's hired as HC or DC, the Argos need someone who builds an aggressive defence, as this year's milquetoast defence was a disaster.

Argo57
11-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Maybe trade Franklin for Manziel - I think Kavis would do it lol.

Lapo, Condell, June Jones, and Khari Jones are the only OC's right now that I think could do what you're talking about.

Personally I wouldn’t trade Franklin for Manziel under any circumstance.

AngeloV
11-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I'd say Lapolice or Steinauer.
Steinauer is being groomed for the HC in Hamilton. But with the management cap coming in I don't know how they could keep Jones and Steinauer.
Lapolice runs a diverse offence and seems to adapt to the players he has.

And no to Johnny Football! Anyone can see Pipkin is the better QB there.

Agree on all counts except for the part that anyone can see that Pipkin is the better of the 2 QB's. IMO, Manziel improved every time out, while Pipken regressed.

Neely2005
11-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Top Candidates:

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/08/top-12-cfl-head-coaching-candidates/

ArgoGabe22
11-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Top Candidates:

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/08/top-12-cfl-head-coaching-candidates/

Means nothing. Every fan could probably list many of these names. It’s pretty obvious assistsants and coordinators would be linked to any HC openings.

Joe Barnes
11-08-2018, 04:30 PM
I say get O'Shea here as HC and bring LaPolice along, too. Have an entertaining offence and special teams. O'Shea is a local boy with connections to the Argos past (and a good coach, which would keep us happy), MLSE can market him, along with Franklin, Wilder, Woods and Ball (maybe Carter?) as the charismatic faces of the team. You'd have a solid coach and good looking, engaging guys with personality to sell to the Toronto market. I think that is what MLSE wants, isn't it?

AngeloV
11-08-2018, 07:08 PM
I say get O'Shea here as HC and bring LaPolice along, too. Have an entertaining offence and special teams. O'Shea is a local boy with connections to the Argos past (and a good coach, which would keep us happy), MLSE can market him, along with Franklin, Wilder, Woods and Ball (maybe Carter?) as the charismatic faces of the team. You'd have a solid coach and good looking, engaging guys with personality to sell to the Toronto market. I think that is what MLSE wants, isn't it?

Only problem, if O'Shea was available, and I don't believe he is, LaPo would likely get the HC gig.

Joe Barnes
11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Only problem, if O'Shea was available, and I don't believe he is, LaPo would likely get the HC gig.

Yeah, I know...just wishful thinking.

OV Argo
11-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Agree on all counts except for the part that anyone can see that Pipkin is the better of the 2 QB's. IMO, Manziel improved every time out, while Pipken regressed.

???

Pipken was way better for the Als IMO; take away the all-american hero status of Manzier and the usual suspects wanting to buy hype and believe he is some kinda budding CFL superstar and saviour, and it's blatantly obvious who was the better QB in the same Als offence this season.

AngeloV
11-08-2018, 11:10 PM
???

Pipken was way better for the Als IMO; take away the all-american hero status of Manzier and the usual suspects wanting to buy hype and believe he is some kinda budding CFL superstar and saviour, and it's blatantly obvious who was the better QB in the same Als offence this season.

Manziel was much better than Pipken as time went on. He only threw 3 picks after that first game. Pipken became a turnover machine and got worse with more playing time. Manziel had a better TD to INT ratio, a better QB rating, and was a more dangerous runner than Pipken was. Your hatred for him has obviously clouded your thought process here.

OV Argo
11-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Manziel was much better than Pipken as time went on. He only threw 3 picks after that first game. Pipken became a turnover machine and got worse with more playing time. Manziel had a better TD to INT ratio, a better QB rating, and was a more dangerous runner than Pipken was. Your hatred for him has obviously clouded your thought process here.

Whatever; and you think Tom Clements wasn't that good a CFL QB either (talk about blind homer prejudice - cause he played for Ottawa & the Ticats ??? - mind numbing) = to each his own.

Pipkin was clearly and easily better than Manzier; sorry bout that.

paulwoods13
11-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Back on the topic of Coaching Search, Maas is returning to Edmonton so he's not coming here as some had (mildly) speculated earlier. Edm has also dismissed four assistant coaches, presumably in part because the new football ops cap will require fewer coaches. Maas is also musing about giving up the OC duties.

AngeloV
11-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Pipkin was clearly and easily better than Manzier; sorry bout that.

You are wrong.

Argo57
11-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Back on the topic of Coaching Search, Maas is returning to Edmonton so he's not coming here as some had (mildly) speculated earlier. Edm has also dismissed four assistant coaches, presumably in part because the new football ops cap will require fewer coaches. Maas is also musing about giving up the OC duties.

Maas wouldn’t have been on my radar anyway, don’t care for his sideline antics plus some of his in game decisions are questionable.
Steinauer, LaPolice and Chamblin (if interested) would be high on my list.

AngeloV
11-09-2018, 11:10 AM

For the record, O'Shea has a year remaining on the 3 year deal he signed prior to last season. LaPo signed an extension prior to this year as well, but not sure if it goes into next year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-oshea-walters-1.3888868

https://www.barrietoday.com/national-sports/bombers-coach-oshea-says-all-co-ordinators-under-contract-and-expected-to-return-767617

Joe Barnes
11-09-2018, 01:46 PM
For the record, O'Shea has a year remaining on the 3 year deal he signed prior to last season. LaPo signed an extension prior to this year as well, but not sure if it goes into next year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-oshea-walters-1.3888868

https://www.barrietoday.com/national-sports/bombers-coach-oshea-says-all-co-ordinators-under-contract-and-expected-to-return-767617

Thanks for clarifying his status. It was a nice idea...The players on D responded to Chamblin last year. How about him as HC and Condell as OC?

AngeloV
11-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Thanks for clarifying his status. It was a nice idea...The players on D responded to Chamblin last year. How about him as HC and Condell as OC?

I'd be good with that, but when he was HC in Saskatchewan, he did throw players under the bus at times. He may have learned from that experience, but I would prefer Steinauer to him, and Condell would likely be his choice as OC. It's definitely exciting to see what will happen in the weeks (hopefully not months) ahead.

Antwon
11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
I'd be good with that, but when he was HC in Saskatchewan, he did throw players under the bus at times. He may have learned from that experience, but I would prefer Steinauer to him, and Condell would likely be his choice as OC. It's definitely exciting to see what will happen in the weeks (hopefully not months) ahead.

I remember that with Chamblin as well. Nothing was his fault. It was the players and GM who got them. So not good HC qualities. But did a great job last year with the D.

Argo
11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
I remember that with Chamblin as well. Nothing was his fault. It was the players and GM who got them. So not good HC qualities. But did a great job last year with the D.

Chamblin was toxic during the latter part of his tenure as the Sask HC.
As past behaviour is a very good predictor, I wouldn't want to see him as the Argos' HC.
Though no complaints about him as the DC here, either in the past or the future.

R.J
11-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Um, no thank you to Chamblin as HC. He did a good job with the D last year, and seemed to be a good buffer for Trestman and the players, but he's very different when he is the Head Coach. Continually blamed players in Sask, refused to give up control of his defence, named Greg Quick the DC just so he could continue on calling the plays etc, blamed his GM, got paranoid about his job, reacting negatively to the media. Admittedly, I've found that a lot of people change for the worse when they get promoted, so it is what it is. Chamblin won the 2013 with a team built to win that year, but the team and Chamblin collapsed pretty quickly.

My top 3 at this point would be: #1. Condell, #2. Thorpe, #3. Steinauer. Special mention to Benevides, as I'm still a fan, but he needs to regain form IMO. Best things about all 3 and even Bene ? Condell would be the OC lol.

Wobbler
11-09-2018, 06:51 PM
What sort of offence did Condell run in Hamilton?

Shatto
11-09-2018, 10:38 PM
In the best of all worlds, I would have preferred O'Shea with his local connections and his personality, which along with his adventurous coaching style might have helped sell tickets. However, with a year left on his contract, there is no way he would be released to sign with the Argos, without compensation ----perhaps a member off the Argo roster and quite possibility next year's first draft choice

Of the rest Steinauer appears to be a good choice based on his coaching record, previous connection to the team and his availability. It appears he wants to be a head coach and the wait in Hamilton may be too long for him.

argotom
11-12-2018, 06:19 PM

In reading the weekend reports, it was understood that one of the conditions in Maas returning was GM Sunderland insisting he would hire an OC who would then call the plays next year.
Actually, I am surprised Maas is coming back as he supposedly had the same problem as Trestman by "loosing" the dressing room?

AngeloV
11-12-2018, 11:10 PM
In reading the weekend reports, it was understood that one of the conditions in Maas returning was GM Sunderland insisting he would hire an OC who would then call the plays next year.
Actually, I am surprised Maas is coming back as he supposedly had the same problem as Trestman by "loosing" the dressing room?

Maas has been known to lose his cool publicly, which result in bad optics, but I have never heard anything about him losing the room. Quite the contrary in that it has been reported that his players love him.

jerrym
11-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Maas has been known to lose his cool publicly, which result in bad optics, but I have never heard anything about him losing the room. Quite the contrary in that it has been reported that his players love him.

While I am not in favour of hiring a totally buttoned down coach like Trestman, I also think that Maas' overreactions to the ups and downs of a game are not the answer either.

Antwon
11-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Based on what I saw in the last games by Edm and Tor. Trestman lost the room, players mailed it in. The Edmonton players played hard to show they stood by their coach.

Joe Barnes
11-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Based on what I saw in the last games by Edm and Tor. Trestman lost the room, players mailed it in. The Edmonton players played hard to show they stood by their coach.

Agreed. The Love Boat sprung a big leak this year and ended up like the Titanic! I wonder who will be back on the staff? Any word on Archer's status?

AngeloV
11-14-2018, 10:12 AM
While I am not in favour of hiring a totally buttoned down coach like Trestman, I also think that Maas' overreactions to the ups and downs of a game are not the answer either.

I don't disagree. I was just saying there is no indication anywhere that Maas lost the dressing room.

jerrym
11-15-2018, 01:46 AM
I know Rick Campbell is not available, but I would like to see someone with his temperament hired, someone who stays cool under pressure and is flexible in the way he uses talent he has.

gilthethrill
11-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Agreed. The Love Boat sprung a big leak this year and ended up like the Titanic! I wonder who will be back on the staff? Any word on Archer's status?

Any word on Archers status??? Any word??? Fully expect another DC to be hired by the new HC.....Archer simply won't have his contract renewed....EVER!!!!

Joe Barnes
11-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Any word on Archers status??? Any word??? Fully expect another DC to be hired by the new HC.....Archer simply won't have his contract renewed....EVER!!!!

LOL...hey, I totally agree, but you never know! Maybe the new guy will like him...?

gilthethrill
11-15-2018, 08:37 PM
LOL...hey, I totally agree, but you never know! Maybe the new guy will like him...?

Well we can name 8 CFL OC's that liked him a lot in 2018....Luke Tasker and Brandon Banks will see a huge dip in production next season.

AngeloV
11-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Well we can name 8 CFL OC's that liked him a lot in 2018....Luke Tasker and Brandon Banks will see a huge dip in production next season.

😂😂😂

ArgoRavi
11-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Corey Chamblin was mentioned by Dave Naylor as a possible head coaching candidate today - not surprisingly. He mentioned that because the Argos have to keep some of their existing coaches, Chamblin would be a natural fit because he worked with them last year.

I know that some have concerns about Chamblin as a head coach based on what happened to the Riders following their 2013 Grey Cup victory. I had concerns about Chamblin as a defensive coordinator but he seemed to have learned from his previous mistakes in Hamilton with the work that he did last year. I would be willing to bet that he would be a better head coach the second time around too.

Tobin Rote
11-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Hiring Maas was a decent idea (especially if he could bring QB Reilly with him)... but the Western Conference Coach that I truly want is ex-Argo great Mike O'Shea.

Tobin Rote
11-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Cleveland Browns rumoured to be pursuing Condoleezza Rice. Perhaps the Argos could counter with Adrienne Clarkson.

paulwoods13
11-18-2018, 03:46 PM
I know that some have concerns about Chamblin as a head coach based on what happened to the Riders following their 2013 Grey Cup victory. I had concerns about Chamblin as a defensive coordinator but he seemed to have learned from his previous mistakes in Hamilton with the work that he did last year. I would be willing to bet that he would be a better head coach the second time around too.

I agree. (And the first time around he did win a Grey Cup so he was not exactly chopped liver back then.)

OV Argo
11-18-2018, 04:23 PM
I agree. (And the first time around he did win a Grey Cup so he was not exactly chopped liver back then.)

Chamblin as HC, with Danny Barrett as his OC and Jeff Reinebold for DC; maybe Kenty Austin as special consultant and Tillspin in charge of Canadian "scouting".

Dare to dream of a real GOB dream team !

paulwoods13
11-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Chamblin as HC, with Danny Barrett as his OC and Jeff Reinebold for DC; maybe Kenty Austin as special consultant and Tillspin in charge of Canadian "scouting".

Tillman may be a GOB, but Ticats have drafted very well the past few years, so sarcasm about their "scouting" seems misplaced.

AngeloV
11-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Corey Chamblin was mentioned by Dave Naylor as a possible head coaching candidate today - not surprisingly. He mentioned that because the Argos have to keep some of their existing coaches, Chamblin would be a natural fit because he worked with them last year.

My main reason for not wanting Chamblin is that I view him as the type that would be searching for good US opportunities while he's coaching the team. I want a coach that's 100% committed to the Argos, and LaPo, Steinauer and Claybrooks are my top 3 choices.

Will
11-19-2018, 11:16 AM
My main reason for not wanting Chamblin is that I view him as the type that would be searching for good US opportunities while he's coaching the team. I want a coach that's 100% committed to the Argos, and LaPo, Steinauer and Claybrooks are my top 3 choices.

I tend to lean towards your view here Angelo. I know it was supposedly due to personal reasons, but I just don't like the way that his departure from the team played out last off-season.

Argo57
11-19-2018, 06:29 PM

Valid point Angelo, I had the same issue with Himebauch when he returned to Toronto.

jerrym
11-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Frank Zicarelli also mentioned Chamblin and Steinauer. I'd prefer Steinauer. I like his style and his family lives in the GTA so there is more chance he would stay.

No team can even approach a competing team for permission to speak to a potential candidate until 48 hours after this Sunday’s Grey Cup. But there’s word around the league that Corey Chamblin’s name continues to be connected to the Argos if he does, in fact, want to return to three-down football.
Chamblin won a Grey Cup as head coach in Regina when the Roughriders played host to the big game in 2013 and beat the Henry Burris-led Ticats.

He subsequently joined the Argos then departed this past off-season for a job at the University of Arkansas. In theory, there’s nothing preventing the Boatmen from talking with Chamblin because he’s not employed by a CFL team. Family is big with Chamblin and the sense around the league is that the Argos’ situation has to be too enticing for Chamblin to even consider a return.
Outside of a few big plays by the Argos’ offence, it was Chamblin’s defence that helped fuel Toronto’s run to last year’s Grey Cup. Without Chamblin, the 2018 Argos were terrible in all three phases of the game. But the biggest drop-off was on defence and it’s why there are many in the league who believe the Argos are more inclined to secure a defensive-minded coach to replace the fired Marc Trestman. ...

The Ticats, following Sunday’s East-final loss in Ottawa, will clean out their lockers on Tuesday. A few people associated with the CFL believe something “fast’’ will happen. And perhaps a new voice will be heard if Jones does decide he no longer wants to coach in the CFL.
The logical candidate to fill the void would be their defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer, who has also been linked with the Argos and Lions. Steinauer got his first coaching job with the Argos when Jim Barker ran the organization. Barker hired Steinauer first and then Mike O’Shea, who moved on to Winnipeg as its head coach. Steinauer’s family lives in the GTA.

If there is a change in Hamilton, another name that could resurface is Tommy Condell, assuming the circumstances are right. Condell has been both receivers coach and offensive coordinator with the Argos. In Hamilton, it was Condell’s offence that allowed quarterback Zach Collaros to flourish.

https://o.canada.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/all-is-quiet-on-argos-ticats-coaching-front-as-grey-cup-week-kicks-off/wcm/5a9d3a9a-f428-48e5-8200-397bf89755d0

Argo57
11-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Frank Zicarelli also mentioned Chamblin and Steinauer. I'd prefer Steinauer. I like his style and his family lives in the GTA so there is more chance he would stay.

https://o.canada.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/all-is-quiet-on-argos-ticats-coaching-front-as-grey-cup-week-kicks-off/wcm/5a9d3a9a-f428-48e5-8200-397bf89755d0

Chamblin wouldn’t be an option, “the Argos situation has to be too enticing for Chamblin to even consider a return”.
No thanks, stay where you are.

ArgoGabe22
11-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Article also mentions Himbaugh left to join the AAFL.

AngeloV
11-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Article also mentions Himbaugh left to join the AAFL.

That's a big loss. O-line was quite good, especially on pass protection this year.

Argo57
11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
That's a big loss. O-line was quite good, especially on pass protection this year.

No surprise for a variety of reasons, uncertainty in Toronto plus he can coach in the United States probably made his decision rather easy.
Himebaugh also seems to move to other opportunities every 2-3 years or so.

jerrym
11-20-2018, 09:14 PM
June Jones has talked to Orlando Steinauer about the rumours of his possibly leaving. Jones commented on the situation:

“Orlondo and I have had a conversation about his situation. Any time a guy has an opportunity, I’m happy for them. Anybody that wants to leave, I’m happy for them too to help them get to where they want to go, that’s just the way I’ve always been,” Jones said.

The B.C. Lions and Toronto Argos are looking for a new head coach.

“Everybody wants to come back, everybody believes we can make the changes internally from what we’re doing offensively and defensively and tweaking it and getting better that way as coaches just like the players have to do the same in their given areas of expertise,” Jones said.

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/20/ticats-head-coach-june-jones-responds-to-speculation-surrounding-orlondo-steinauer/

Stevoman
11-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Jones has 2 years left on his deal and so I think the Argos get Steinauer and I'm totally good with that as he'd be my first choice with Condell in as OC. The DC will be a challenging role to fill as I doubt Chamblin comes back for anything less than HC.

Will
11-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Jones has 2 years left on his deal and so I think the Argos get Steinauer and I'm totally good with that as he'd be my first choice with Condell in as OC. The DC will be a challenging role to fill as I doubt Chamblin comes back for anything less than HC.

Presumably if Steinauer is the head coach then he'd have a lot of input on the D anyways so a person of Chamblin's reputation may not be necessary. Argos would need to have someone more senior as a OC.

Wobbler
11-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Presumably if Steinauer is the head coach then he'd have a lot of input on the D anyways so a person of Chamblin's reputation may not be necessary. Argos would need to have someone more senior as a OC.
I think a first-time HC should concentrate on his own job - we'd be well served by having as many experienced people around him as possible.

Will
11-21-2018, 11:29 AM
I think a first-time HC should concentrate on his own job - we'd be well served by having as many experienced people around him as possible.

Certainly on offence, but the coach's salary cap is something that may inhibit that. Team's might be more inclined to focus on whichever side of the ball is not the specialty of the HC.

gilthethrill
11-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Condell, although still in his 30's I believe has been around the league long enough. He can, and has run a solid offence in the past.

Argo
11-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Steinauer and Condell sound good.

Argo57
11-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Don’t agree with this at all.
Condell has more than enough experience as an OC and receivers coach and may actually be able to implement his own ideas without Trestman being involved, perhaps time for the entire staff to get younger and more progressive.

Argo57
11-25-2018, 07:37 PM
The next 7-10 days should get interesting once the Grey Cup is over, looking forward to it.

AngeloV
11-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Certainly on offence, but the coach's salary cap is something that may inhibit that. Team's might be more inclined to focus on whichever side of the ball is not the specialty of the HC.

Seeing as how this is year 1 of the new coaches cap, It would be nice if the CFL allowed a 1 time opportunity to buy out any coaches on staff and not have that count against the new cap. There really should be a transition period, similar to what the NHL did when they put in a salary cap for players. It would really suck if not only the Argos, but also the Lions lost out on a desirable coach, because he is stuck with assistants that aren't of his choosing.

Will
11-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Don’t agree with this at all.
Condell has more than enough experience as an OC and receivers coach and may actually be able to implement his own ideas without Trestman being involved, perhaps time for the entire staff to get younger and more progressive.

I'm fine with Condell, just referring to him as Senior because he's spent some time in the league as an OC.

Will
11-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Seeing as how this is year 1 of the new coaches cap, It would be nice if the CFL allowed a 1 time opportunity to buy out any coaches on staff and not have that count against the new cap. There really should be a transition period, similar to what the NHL did when they put in a salary cap for players. It would really suck if not only the Argos, but also the Lions lost out on a desirable coach, because he is stuck with assistants that aren't of his choosing.

Yes, because Argos cannot have Archer back as DC!

paulwoods13
11-26-2018, 01:41 PM

I agree 100%. This new system should come into force in a way that everyone has an equal opportunity to prepare for and deal with. Other teams merely have to chop a few jobs to comply, but might make more radical changes if they knew it was taking effect a year from now, say. It would be an utter travesty to have to saddle the next coach with a bad staff because of multi-year deals that were signed with assistants before the new system was devised.

AngeloV
11-26-2018, 01:43 PM

From a selfish perspective yes, but I also think all teams really should not be bound to staffs in which contracts were signed prior to the rule change. This rule really needs to be grandfathered in. I doubt any assistants were on longer than 2 year deals, so every team would be on a level playing field next year (2020).

AngeloV
11-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Scott Milanovich will be calling the plays for Jacksonville the rest of the season. I wish him well. As we all know, I really liked Scott.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jags promote Scott Milanovich to offensive coordinator <a href="https://t.co/1w0DxnmlYR">https://t.co/1w0DxnmlYR</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1067151112476725248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 26, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
11-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Scott Milanovich will be calling the plays for Jacksonville the rest of the season. I wish him well. As we all know, I really liked Scott.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jags promote Scott Milanovich to offensive coordinator <a href="https://t.co/1w0DxnmlYR">https://t.co/1w0DxnmlYR</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1067151112476725248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 26, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any coach that wins a Grey Cup with the Argos is ok in my books, Milanovich (and Barker) did an admirable job in Toronto under less than ideal circumstances and should be commended.
I wish the guy nothing but the best!!

Argo57
11-26-2018, 07:47 PM
I agree 100%. This new system should come into force in a way that everyone has an equal opportunity to prepare for and deal with. Other teams merely have to chop a few jobs to comply, but might make more radical changes if they knew it was taking effect a year from now, say. It would be an utter travesty to have to saddle the next coach with a bad staff because of multi-year deals that were signed with assistants before the new system was devised.

I agree wholeheartedly with both you and Angelo.
IMO a better solution would have been to simply limit the number of coaches allowed on any given CFL coaching staff, this would have eliminated ridiculously bloated coaching staffs, offered an overall cost savings and allowed CFL franchises to still compete in the football marketplace for high quality coaches.
Good luck in hiring an otherwise qualified HC who will be saddled with assistant coaches who should otherwise have been shown the door (Mike Archer).

ArgoZ
11-26-2018, 08:14 PM
So, if a coach quits, I assume his salary doesn’t count against the cap? That would be unfair and he would need replaced. If he is fired though, his salary counts? What if he is fired for criminal behaviour? Having a salary cap structure but guaranteed contracts doesn’t sync with the rest of pro football. It seems strange that if someone is fired for not doing their job (whatever the reason), the team, the remaining coaches, and players are all punished by not being able to find a better replacement or being stuck with other remaining personnel. A head coach with someone else’s support staff seems ridiculous too. The coach’s cap system needs reworked or postponed if all these issues were not first considered properly.

AngeloV
11-26-2018, 10:11 PM
So, if a coach quits, I assume his salary doesn’t count against the cap? That would be unfair and he would need replaced. If he is fired though, his salary counts? What if he is fired for criminal behaviour? Having a salary cap structure but guaranteed contracts doesn’t sync with the rest of pro football. It seems strange that if someone is fired for not doing their job (whatever the reason), the team, the remaining coaches, and players are all punished by not being able to find a better replacement or being stuck with other remaining personnel. A head coach with someone else’s support staff seems ridiculous too. The coach’s cap system needs reworked or postponed if all these issues were not first considered properly.

Agreed. That's why I feel the league needs to grandfather the new clause in. To announce it mid season for the next season doesn't make sense. If they at least gave the teams a year notice, I don't think you'd be seeing assistant coaches on anything longer than a 1 year contract. IMO, that's the way it should be anyways. I believe multi year deals for assistant coaches is going to be a thing of the past.

ArgoRavi
11-27-2018, 12:26 AM

Who knows if Archer is even under contract next year? If Chamblin returns as head coach though, I suspect that Archer, if he is still under contract, would go back to a similar role as he had in 2018.

jerrym
11-28-2018, 01:43 AM
Who knows if Archer is even under contract next year? If Chamblin returns as head coach though, I suspect that Archer, if he is still under contract, would go back to a similar role as he had in 2018.

According to Mike Hogan's article, he is under contract for next year. I hope he is not DC still because of the new rules that mean his contract counts against the salary cap even if the Argos decide to release him. It probably means that at best he ends up in a lesser role.

AngeloV
11-28-2018, 11:02 AM
According to Mike Hogan's article, he is under contract for next year. I hope he is not DC still because of the new rules that mean his contract counts against the salary cap even if the Argos decide to release him. It probably means that at best he ends up in a lesser role.

I would assume Greg Quick was on a 1 year deal (as most non coordinators are), so depending on who the new coach is, I would expect Quick not to be retained, and Archer to be made LB's coach. Unfortunately, since he was a DC, it means he would be an expensive position coach.

Will
11-28-2018, 10:18 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Argos</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BCLions?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BCLions</a> granted permission to interview <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CalStampeders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CalStampeders</a> defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks <a href="https://t.co/eYRH9IJMMg">https://t.co/eYRH9IJMMg</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreyCup?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GreyCup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Calgary?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Calgary</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Toronto?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Toronto</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ArgosFootball?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ArgosFootball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DoubleBlue?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DoubleBlue</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/InoDj06ddj">pic.twitter.com/InoDj06ddj</a></p>&mdash; IG: J12Dunk (@JDunk12) <a href="https://twitter.com/JDunk12/status/1067980940834734082?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
11-28-2018, 10:56 PM
I suppose a lot depends on how interested the Cowboys really are.

jerrym
11-29-2018, 01:56 AM
Claybrooks would be my second choice for HC, after Steinauer.

Argocister
11-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Steinauer or Claybrooks please ..... With the coaches salary cap and having to keep Archer ...we need a head coach that can greatly influence the Defense . I'm thinking that with the salary cap we can't afford 2 DC salaries .
I'm not sold on Condell yet but if we have to keep him another year ......no other choice

I'm thinking this coaches salary cap will bring many one year contracts ....if that's possible . Otherwise if the players don't sync with the system the coordinators bring you are stuck with them for a couple years. ....like us this year for DC

Argo57
11-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Dave Naylor reports Steinauer was given permission to talk to Toronto and BC but declined.
No real surprise here TBH, Hamilton would get crucified if they let Steinauer get away especially to the Argonauts.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/30/ticats-say-steinauer-staying-put/

lazycro
11-30-2018, 08:10 PM
There is talk that some MLSE brass was briefly in Ottawa today

Stevoman
11-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Dave Naylor reports Steinauer was given permission to talk to Toronto and BC but declined.
No real surprise here TBH, Hamilton would get crucified if they let Steinauer get away especially to the Argonauts.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/30/ticats-say-steinauer-staying-put/

Sad, as he was my first choice but he started his career in Hamilton and I see him more as a Ticat than an Argo even though he was great for us and started coaching here first.

gilthethrill
12-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Sad, as he was my first choice but he started his career in Hamilton and I see him more as a Ticat than an Argo even though he was great for us and started coaching here first.

Steinaur staying put should come as no surprise. I hope LaPolice returns to the Argos, this time as HC. Now if only the league will correct the coaches salary cap situation to allow him to hire who he wants, the Argos could rebound nicely in 2019.

Argo57
12-01-2018, 07:15 AM
A quick update on who and when the interviews are taking place:
Claybrooks interviewing today
LaPolice tomorrow

https://www.tsn.ca/claybrooks-lapolice-to-interview-for-argos-job-1.1219052

Will
12-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Steinauer was my first choice so it is disappointing to hear that he will be staying in Hamilton. I assume that this means that June Jones is pondering his future in that he'll either stay on for one more season or retire in 2019.

Argo57
12-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Steinauer was my first choice so it is disappointing to hear that he will be staying in Hamilton. I assume that this means that June Jones is pondering his future in that he'll either stay on for one more season or retire in 2019.

Steinauer would have been a good candidate no doubt but I’m not surprised or even disappointed he stayed in Hamilton.

jerrym
12-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Stampeder DC DeVone Claybrooks is interviewing today for the Argos HC job. Paul LaPolice will be interviewed tomorrow, according to Farhan Lalji.

Argo57
12-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Tommy Condell and Noel Thorpe have already interviewed, Elizondo tomorrow.
At the very least Popp is being very thorough in his search for the next HC.

https://twitter.com/CFL_News?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7C twgr%5Eauthor

Argo
12-01-2018, 06:16 PM

https://twitter.com/CFL_News?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^aut hor

Good for Popp, and good for the Argos.

ArgoRavi
12-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Steinauer would have been a good candidate no doubt but I’m not surprised or even disappointed he stayed in Hamilton.

He would have been a good candidate but I don't see him as being head and shoulders above any of the other candidates whose names we have heard.

https://twitter.com/CFL_News?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^aut hor

Honestly, I have no issue with any of the names I have heard. Ultimately, the success of whomever is chosen will have as much to do with what kind of coaching staff they can put together as anything else.

Argo57
12-01-2018, 07:16 PM
He would have been a good candidate but I don't see him as being head and shoulders above any of the other candidates whose names we have heard.

Honestly, I have no issue with any of the names I have heard. Ultimately, the success of whomever is chosen will have as much to do with what kind of coaching staff they can put together as anything else.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with your statement Ravi but it appears any new HC will have limited options in building his coaching staff due to the hastily imposed football operations cap👎.

ArgoRavi
12-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Under normal circumstances I would agree with your statement Ravi but it appears any new HC will have limited options in building his coaching staff due to the hastily imposed football operations cap.

I know that they have to inherit a few of the coaches but there should still be enough openings available to put their own stamp on the staff.

Antwon
12-01-2018, 08:11 PM

I'd like to know how this will work for Hamilton. Jones, Glanville, and Steinauer are making big bucks. Not sure how they fit all that in the new cap.

Skilz
12-03-2018, 10:43 AM
I'd like to know how this will work for Hamilton. Jones, Glanville, and Steinauer are making big bucks. Not sure how they fit all that in the new cap.

Steinauer is now HC. Assuming Glanville was under a 1 year contract, his position is now redundant and the HC can take over those responsibilities.

Skilz
12-03-2018, 11:01 AM
The last update from Lalji of TSN reports as such:

The Toronto Argonauts will interview Corey Chamblin for their head coaching job Monday, according to a report from TSN Football Insider Dave Naylor. Chamblin served as the Argonauts defensive coordinator on Marc Trestman's staff in 2017 before spending last season at the University of Arkansas.

The Argos are expected to pause after Monday to decide if they want to schedule more interviews or choose a coach based on those they’ve interviewed so far. That list includes Calgary Stampeders defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks, Ottawa Redblacks offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo, Redblacks defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe, and Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice.

You can also add Tommy Condell to the list....

Given the coaching interviews, I would be included to offer either Chamblin or Thorpe a shot. That way hopefully Archer wont be back coaching our defense...

AngeloV
12-03-2018, 12:23 PM
The last update from Lalji of TSN reports as such:

You can also add Tommy Condell to the list....

Given the coaching interviews, I would be included to offer either Chamblin or Thorpe a shot. That way hopefully Archer wont be back coaching our defense...

I suspect Archer will be demoted to LB's coach no matter who they choose as coach. I stand with my choice of LaPo first, and now that we know Steinauer will stay in Hamilton, Claybrooks has moved up to my 2nd choice and Condell 3rd.

gilthethrill
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
I suspect Archer will be demoted to LB's coach no matter who they choose as coach. I stand with my choice of LaPo first, and now that we know Steinauer will stay in Hamilton, Claybrooks has moved up to my 2nd choice and Condell 3rd.

I must say I am pleased with the candidates that Popp has interviewed.

Argo57
12-03-2018, 06:42 PM
I must say I am pleased with the candidates that Popp has interviewed.

Agreed, they all have their merits.
Big question is will they go with a HC with offensive or defensive background?
Either way they need to change up their systems on both sides of the ball.

Stevoman
12-04-2018, 01:17 AM
With Steinauer now out of the running, my vote would be Chamblin or Claybrooks.

jerrym
12-04-2018, 01:34 AM
I don't know if it means much but Popp and Chamblin were at a Raptors game together. Before Popp was hired he went to a Leafs game with MLSE chairman Larry Tannenbaum.

AngeloV
12-04-2018, 09:39 AM
I don't know if it means much but Popp and Chamblin were at a Raptors game together. Before Popp was hired he went to a Leafs game with MLSE chairman Larry Tannenbaum.

I think it means a lot. I fully expect the Argos to announce Chamblin as their new coach within 48 hours.

lazycro
12-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Let's see who is in the press box with Popp tonight at the leafs game?

AngeloV
12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Let's see who is in the press box with Popp tonight at the leafs game?

They're in Buffalo, so I don't think you will see Popp at the Leafs game.

gilthethrill
12-04-2018, 12:06 PM
I think it means a lot. I fully expect the Argos to announce Chamblin as their new coach within 48 hours.

What a contrast to when the team had ownership issues in past offseasons. I know some are upset that Trestman was fired so quickly, but it's good to see MLSE taking a serious approach on this.

lazycro
12-04-2018, 01:38 PM
They're in Buffalo, so I don't think you will see Popp at the Leafs game.

Can never remember when they're in Buffalo since Leaf fans travel well to Buffalo, still possible though they could swing down :)

Skilz
12-04-2018, 01:57 PM

According to Frank Z, of the Toronto Sun - if Chamblin is indeed hired, expect Tommy Condell to be named offensive coordinator....and Zach Collaros to return???

]If Chamblin is, indeed, appointed as Argos head coach, expect Tommy Condell to serve as offensive co-ordinator.
Condell is a brilliant offensive mind.He’s the kind of guy who can extract much more from James Franklin than the Argos’ previous regime, which, to be brutally honest, did a terrible job after Popp first traded for Franklin’s rights from Edmonton and later compensated Franklin in line with what starter’s typically earn. It’s a big if, but if Condell is given the keys to the Argos’ offence and is allowed complete autonomy, you can expect Zach Collaros, who is eligible for free agency, to contemplate a move to Toronto.This has to be an absolute coup for the team should it occur.

Tommy C has been interviewed in the past for the Montreal HC position, and of course assuming the Argos position. I presume he is highly respected and may provide some continuity.

AngeloV
12-04-2018, 02:07 PM
According to Frank Z, of the Toronto Sun - if Chamblin is indeed hired, expect Tommy Condell to be named offensive coordinator....and Zach Collaros to return???

This has to be an absolute coup for the team should it occur.

Tommy C has been interviewed in the past for the Montreal HC position, and of course assuming the Argos position. I presume he is highly respected and may provide some continuity.

I don't think ZC is signing anywhere to be a starting QB at this point. It might be the best career move for him to be a back up.

Will
12-04-2018, 03:33 PM
It looks like the Lions are going with Mr. Claybrooks.

Argo57
12-04-2018, 06:30 PM

I expect the same Angelo, my only concern with Chamblin was his commitment to stay with the Argos but I trust Popp would have addressed this issue with Chamblin.
If/when it happens this is a very good hire, hopefully Condell returns and is given free reign to run his own offence!

Will
12-04-2018, 09:11 PM
I have no doubts that a Chamblin hiring would go over well with those veterans still around from 2017. You could tell that the players liked playing for him and the results on the defensive side of the ball spoke for themselves. I hope that he can extend that "infectious" personality to the offensive side of the ball.

I, too, have reservations about commitment, but a head coaching job might be enough (hopefully) to break whatever doubt there may be in Chamblin's mind.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2018, 11:51 PM
I don't think ZC is signing anywhere to be a starting QB at this point. It might be the best career move for him to be a back up.

I have no problem with Collaros coming back to Toronto but would prefer to see Franklin remain as the starter.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2018, 11:51 PM
It looks like the Lions are going with Mr. Claybrooks.

Farhan Lalji reported tonight that Claybrooks and others still need to be interviewed by the Lions.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2018, 11:53 PM
I have no doubts that a Chamblin hiring would go over well with those veterans still around from 2017. You could tell that the players liked playing for him and the results on the defensive side of the ball spoke for themselves. I hope that he can extend that "infectious" personality to the offensive side of the ball.

I, too, have reservations about commitment, but a head coaching job might be enough (hopefully) to break whatever doubt there may be in Chamblin's mind.

Honestly, I would be quite good with Chamblin as head coach and have no concerns about his commitment to the team. Obviously, he had his reasons for leaving last off-season but that doesn't concern me one bit today.

Skilz
12-05-2018, 03:13 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/12/05/stampeders-ryan-dinwiddie-interviews-for-argos-offensive-coordinator-job/

Perhaps Condell is unlikely to return as a potential OC.

Dinwiddie is a former player in the league and long time Stamps Coach.

I woldnt expect an OC to be interviewed, without an HC in place - Chamblin putting pieces together as we speak.?

gilthethrill
12-05-2018, 04:03 PM
http://3downnation.com/2018/12/05/stampeders-ryan-dinwiddie-interviews-for-argos-offensive-coordinator-job/

I woldnt expect an OC to be interviewed, without an HC in place - Chamblin putting pieces together as we speak.?

That must be the situation. Could see a Calgary system in place if this happens.

REAL
12-05-2018, 09:41 PM

why leave Calgary for the same job in Toronto !!<style></style>

Argo57
12-05-2018, 09:42 PM
That must be the situation. Could see a Calgary system in place if this happens.

Argos just need the Calgary talent to go along with the system.

gilthethrill
12-05-2018, 09:52 PM
why leave Calgary for the same job in Toronto !!<style></style>

Is Dinwiddie not the qb coach in Calgary? I thought Dickenson was OC?

gilthethrill
12-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Argos just need the Calgary talent to go along with the system.

True, but I know they have to dump the previous system where the play develops in front of the defence.

Argo57
12-05-2018, 09:55 PM
True, but I know they have to dump the previous system where the play develops in front of the defence.

The previous system was like watching paint dry, will be nice to see a fresh approach in 2019!

jerrym
12-06-2018, 12:22 AM
With Paul LaPolice also pulling out of the Argo search for HC, I wonder if looking at the problems facing the Argos is playing into the decisions to not go for the job.

Skilz
12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
With Paul LaPolice also pulling out of the Argo search for HC, I wonder if looking at the problems facing the Argos is playing into the decisions to not go for the job.

I saw the Naylor Tweet and rolled my eyes at LaPo.

If LaPo as reported interviewed over the weekend, surely the Argos would have shared with him their existing constraints in retaining coaches.

Curiously only after Chamblin pops us with Popp out and about - court side does LaPo feel the needs to "pull out" of coaching consideration.

This Sir is Sour Grapes - knowing that you candidacy is no longer up for grabs.

At most, whoever has to remain will have 1 more year on the contract. Tops. If your a potential HC, you demand a 3 year contract, knowing you have to inherit coaches in Year 1 of your Program.

ArgoZ
12-06-2018, 08:31 PM
I saw the Naylor Tweet and rolled my eyes at LaPo.

If LaPo as reported interviewed over the weekend, surely the Argos would have shared with him their existing constraints in retaining coaches.

Curiously only after Chamblin pops us with Popp out and about - court side does LaPo feel the needs to "pull out" of coaching consideration.

This Sir is Sour Grapes - knowing that you candidacy is no longer up for grabs.

At most, whoever has to remain will have 1 more year on the contract. Tops. If your a potential HC, you demand a 3 year contract, knowing you have to inherit coaches in Year 1 of your Program.

Congrats, you can see through the BS of the Internet, which when dealing with CFL coaching staffs, seems to be in full force lately. So many unconfirmed reports of this guy and that guy being interviewed/hired here and there, it's ridiculous. Give me the report when it happens please. Orlondo Steinauer signed it Hamilton (likely do to pressure from the Argos), that's it so far, everything else is hot air.

ArgoGabe22
07-12-2019, 09:58 PM
So will the new coach's salary cap hurt the worst CFL teams (and markets) because teams will be hesitant to clean house? So the same coaches will be brought back? This initiative brought in by Ambrosie hurts the league more than it helps.

Will
07-12-2019, 10:45 PM
So will the new coach's salary cap hurt the worst CFL teams (and markets) because teams will be hesitant to clean house? So the same coaches will be brought back? This initiative brought in by Ambrosie hurts the league more than it helps.

I'm not sure the Argos have a choice at this point.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8