PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Calvillo will not return to Argos coaching staff in 2019

AngeloV
12-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Anthony Calvillo returning to Montreal, this time at the Usport level on the staff of one of his former coaches in Danny Machocia.

Likely a move that should have been made before being fast tracked at the CFL level. I wish him all the best.

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/university-hires-legendary-ex-quarterback-anthony-calvillo-as-assistant-coach/wcm/60a9e88d-6844-4860-8de2-099a11d0de43

SkalbaniasGhost
12-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Ricky Ray - Quarterback Coach ?
Tommy Condell - OC ?

Will
12-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Things have been quiet on the coaching staff front ever since we heard that Dinwiddie was not taking the OC job in Toronto.

paulwoods13
12-19-2018, 04:42 PM
No chance Condell comes back, IMO. They would not have offered the job to Dinwiddie if they wanted Condell back, and would not want to make such an obvious "second choice."

I love Ricky Ray, but has anyone seen any evidence he is coaching material? He's incredibly quiet and I just don't see it as the logical next step. He's similar to Calvillo in that regard, IMO. Maybe he was great in the meeting rooms with the other QBs, but on the bench during games, Ricky mostly stayed away from them (for whatever that is worth).

AngeloV
12-19-2018, 06:04 PM
No chance Condell comes back, IMO. They would not have offered the job to Dinwiddie if they wanted Condell back, and would not want to make such an obvious "second choice."

We honestly don't know if the Argos actually offered the OC job to Dinwiddie. It's purely speculation.

paulwoods13
12-19-2018, 06:12 PM
We honestly don't know if the Argos actually offered the OC job to Dinwiddie. It's purely speculation.

Nope. Speculation is "maybe this happened." This is reporting, based on unidentified sources. "The Toronto Argonauts offered the team’s offensive coordinator position to Ryan Dinwiddie, who has turned down the job, per sources." Whether or not that reporting was accurate remains to be seen (and in fact we may never know), but it is not "speculation" unless Dunk made up the "per sources" part. I've had my issues with some of Dunk's work in the past, but you don't last long as a reporter if you make stuff up and then attribute it to sources, and I think he wants to last long as a reporter.

Argo57
12-19-2018, 10:41 PM

I love Ricky Ray, but has anyone seen any evidence he is coaching material? He's incredibly quiet and I just don't see it as the logical next step. He's similar to Calvillo in that regard, IMO. Maybe he was great in the meeting rooms with the other QBs, but on the bench during games, Ricky mostly stayed away from them (for whatever that is worth).

I’ll throw a name out there, George Cortez as OC?
Won a Grey Cup in Saskatchewan as OC with Chamblin in 2013, not sure how good of a relationship they had in Saskatchewan but Cortez seemed pretty well thought of as an OC (head coach not so much).

jerrym
12-20-2018, 01:59 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

gilthethrill
12-20-2018, 07:23 AM
I’ll throw a name out there, George Cortez as OC?
Won a Grey Cup in Saskatchewan as OC with Chamblin in 2013, not sure how good of a relationship they had in Saskatchewan but Cortez seemed pretty well thought of as an OC (head coach not so much).

Did Cortez not retire? I guess he could come out of retirement. Carson Walsh is my hunch. Philadelphia will clean house after the season and he will be OC and Qb coach of the Argos.

Argo57
12-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Did Cortez not retire? I guess he could come out of retirement. Carson Walsh is my hunch. Philadelphia will clean house after the season and he will be OC and Qb coach of the Argos.

No complaints if that scenario played out.

AngeloV
12-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Nope. Speculation is "maybe this happened." This is reporting, based on unidentified sources. "The Toronto Argonauts offered the team’s offensive coordinator position to Ryan Dinwiddie, who has turned down the job, per sources." Whether or not that reporting was accurate remains to be seen (and in fact we may never know), but it is not "speculation" unless Dunk made up the "per sources" part. I've had my issues with some of Dunk's work in the past, but you don't last long as a reporter if you make stuff up and then attribute it to sources, and I think he wants to last long as a reporter.

OK, it's speculation that the sources are accurate. :)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8