PDA

View Full Version : J C Sherritt Retires

jerrym
01-19-2019, 02:30 AM
J C Sherritt, who won the Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award in 2012 and helped the Eskimos win the Grey Cup in 2015, has announced that he is retiring. It's sad to see the league lose one of its best players but it happens to all of them sooner or later.

The 30-year-old native of Truckee, CA. announced his retirement on Wednesday, after eight seasons.

And he went out in exactly the same way he came in all those years ago, by helping his team to victory by posting a game-high nine tackles. That’s one less than the 10 he exploded on the scene with in his debut in the 2011 season-opener, coming out of nowhere as a five-foot-nine, 218-pound Eastern Washington product, who would go on to put his school on the CFL map along with the likes of Bo Levi Mitchell and Matt Nichols. And that ninth and very last tackle of his illustrious career, gave him an even 100 on the year to earn triple digits for just the second time. The first was the 130 tackles he set the then-league record with in his sophomore season on the way to being named the 2012 CFL most outstanding defensive player.

He ended up with 507 tackles in 109 games over those eight years – seven if you don’t count a 2017 campaign that ended as soon as it began due to an Achilles injury in the season opener – one that led to speculation this day might have come much sooner than it actually did.

“I know playing, and I was told this by a coach, but: Enjoy every one you get because they don’t come around as often as you think and they’re over before you know it,” Sherritt said after that game, whether the foreshadowing was intentional or not. “I just really enjoyed today and it meant a lot to get that win.” The consummate leader, Sherritt was always the first to deflect any and all praise to his teammates, while shouldering as much of the blame directed their way as he could.

“Don’t ask him about anything involving him that’s positive,” was how Eskimos quarterback Mike Reilly put it on that very same day. “But I’ll talk about it. “No doubt, the guy’s amazing.”

The irony – or is it tragedy? Here is that on the same off-season where Reilly, the franchise quarterback who has been the face of the Eskimos, is expected to test free agency, the club is also now bidding farewell to the player who has quarterbacked its defence as well as anyone.
https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/cfl-edmonton-eskimos-linebacker-jc-sherritt-retires

jerrym
01-29-2019, 02:00 AM
Sherritt has signed with the Stampeders as their LB coach. If he is half as good as a LB coach as he was as a LB, he'll do very well. However, when it comes to coaches, this doesn't always happen as Anthony Calvillo has found out so far in his coaching career.

Less than two weeks after the longtime Edmonton Eskimos linebacker announced his retirement from playing football, he’s crossing enemy lines and joining the Calgary Stampeders as the team’s new linebackers coach.

“I’ve known for a very long time that I would eventually coach football, so it’s just one of those opportunities that I feel very grateful to have gotten,” Sherritt said. “I retired and I knew I was going to get into coaching, so I reached out through both (Canada and the U.S.) to get a feel for it, then after my official retirement I was allowed to talk directly with teams. “They brought me in for an interview, the interview went great and they made the opportunity and it was a no-brainer for me.”

For Sherritt, becoming a member of the Stampeders coaching staff is an opportunity to join a group that helped craft the league’s most dominant defence last season – although there have been some major changes this off-season. Defensive co-ordinator DeVone Claybrooks left the Stamps to take over as head coach of the B.C. Lions, and the Calgary crew promoted former linebackers coach Brent Monson to take over from Claybrooks. Otherwise, the coaching staff remains largely the same, although the Stamps announced Monday that special teams co-ordinator Mark Kilam will officially add the title of assistant head coach this season.

In Sherritt, the Stampeders are getting a former player who was widely regarded as one of the league’s elite linebackers throughout his eight-year career. Appearing in 109 regular-season games and seven post-season contests throughout his career, Sherritt was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2012 and set the league’s then-single-season record with 130 defensive tackles that year.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/former-eskimo-j-c-sherritt-joins-stampeders-as-linebackers-coach

7dj83r8f78t4alf8