PDA

View Full Version : NFL TV ratings in Canada "Through the roof"

CFLfan
01-24-2019, 09:28 AM
The regular season TV ratings were up this season and the playoffs very high ratings. 2.3 Million Canadians watched the KC/New England game.

https://3downnation.com/2019/01/23/in-contrast-to-the-cfl-nfl-playoff-tv-ratings-are-through-the-roof/

ArgoGabe22
01-24-2019, 10:24 AM
The 2018 NFL season has beat the 2018 CFL season in terms of overall entertainment IMO. The NFL will always have duds but it's hard to really compare 9 teams with 32.

paulwoods13
01-24-2019, 11:32 AM
The 2018 NFL season has beat the 2018 CFL season in terms of overall entertainment IMO. The NFL will always have duds but it's hard to really compare 9 teams with 32.

That's one of the biggest (and least surmountable) problems the CFL faces IMO. Every other major league in the world has 20 or more teams, which means lots of variety in matchups. The CFL can get a bit stale when the same team is on Thursday or Friday Night football several weeks in a row. If all (or at least seven or eight) teams were entertaining (as has been the case at times in the past), it wouldn't matter as much. But when there are two or three bad or uninspiring teams, a lot of games are not very enticing to tune into.

R.J
01-24-2019, 03:17 PM
I see slimjim/jayahre/Flutie/countless other usernames has returned yet again.

Argonut1996
01-25-2019, 08:22 AM
It's time the main network (CTV) started to carry games or this a battle the CFL will always lose.

argolio
01-25-2019, 09:39 AM
It's time the main network (CTV) started to carry games or this a battle the CFL will always lose.
We'd all like that, but I don't see it. Unless another network(s) can guarantee every regular season and playoff game is televised without a reduction in rights fees, the CFL will be exclusively on TSN indefinitely.

Also noteworthy that there are no Sunday CFL regular season games opposite the NFL in 2019. I bet this was requested by CTV/Bell. They don't want anything to cut into their NFL cash cow.

I also blame Trump. The more he criticizes the NFL, the bigger it gets.

R.J
01-25-2019, 09:53 AM
CFL needs to get away from TSN to do that. I'm hoping for the next tv contract that the League isn't dumb enough to stay exclusive yet again with TSN.

gilthethrill
01-25-2019, 10:42 AM
We'd all like that, but I don't see it. Unless another network(s) can guarantee every regular season and playoff game is televised without a reduction in rights fees, the CFL will be exclusively on TSN indefinitely.

Also noteworthy that there are no Sunday CFL regular season games opposite the NFL in 2019. I bet this was requested by CTV/Bell. They don't want anything to cut into their NFL cash cow.

I also blame Trump. The more he criticizes the NFL, the bigger it gets.

Yes, without CFL regular season games on Sundays, the league has increased its "Triple Header Saturdays". Not a fan of this setup in the least.

AngeloV
01-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Yes, without CFL regular season games on Sundays, the league has increased its "Triple Header Saturdays". Not a fan of this setup in the least.

Neither am I. They should go doubleheaders every Friday and Saturday. Not a fan of Thursday nights either. Makes for a rough Friday at work.

paulwoods13
01-25-2019, 12:39 PM
I think we need to accept that the CFL is not going back to a conventional broadcaster for any significant number of games. CBC is largely out of sports production, Global was never in it, and CTV clearly isn't going to change its current (highly successful) business model in the foreseeable future. It's slightly conceivable that a second player could come in next time, but it would likely be a cablenet (Sportsnet) and would likely have only a small package of games. I'd say there's no chance of Sportsnet trying to outbid TSN for the full, or majority, rights. Sportsnet has all the live-sports inventory it needs between Jays, hockey and half a share of the Raptors. There's no room there for more than a single CFL game each week (which would be great, but would likely dilute how much TSN is willing to pay for rights).

AngeloV
01-25-2019, 01:52 PM
I think we need to accept that the CFL is not going back to a conventional broadcaster for any significant number of games. CBC is largely out of sports production, Global was never in it, and CTV clearly isn't going to change its current (highly successful) business model in the foreseeable future. It's slightly conceivable that a second player could come in next time, but it would likely be a cablenet (Sportsnet) and would likely have only a small package of games. I'd say there's no chance of Sportsnet trying to outbid TSN for the full, or majority, rights. Sportsnet has all the live-sports inventory it needs between Jays, hockey and half a share of the Raptors. There's no room there for more than a single CFL game each week (which would be great, but would likely dilute how much TSN is willing to pay for rights).

I agree Paul. I have no issue with it either. TSN does a great job.

argotom
01-25-2019, 10:09 PM
These No Funners numbers are insignificant to me especially as CTV and TSN promoted the crap out of them and the simulcast on so many stations.
If our league had 50% of the promotion and not to mention the main CTV network and the obnoxious over the top hours of pre game, we would once again dominate the NFL in viewership.
How sad this is our country and our own network has sold out the tradition.

ArgoRavi
01-26-2019, 02:00 AM

At this point, I would be happy if the CFL could get games on CTV2, like the NFL is able to do. Until or unless things change, more people will be watching the NFL in this country than the CFL for the foreseeable future as the NFL is simply more accessible.

R.J
01-26-2019, 11:15 AM
These No Funners numbers are insignificant to me especially as CTV and TSN promoted the crap out of them and the simulcast on so many stations.
If our league had 50% of the promotion and not to mention the main CTV network and the obnoxious over the top hours of pre game, we would once again dominate the NFL in viewership.
How sad this is our country and our own network has sold out the tradition.
Nothing new in Canada - the only Country in the World where the vast majority of it's highest rated tv programs are from a Foreign Country.

Side note: Sad that the troll got us to waste time on this thread.

ArgoGabe22
01-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Nothing new in Canada - the only Country in the World where the vast majority of it's highest rated tv programs are from a Foreign Country.

Side note: Sad that the troll got us to waste time on this thread.

It’s actually a 3DN article, it’s a slow time of the offseason. A little discussion doesn’t hurt. It’s at least football related and somewhat relevant. Really not much trolling here IMO, so I’m not sure if calling out a “troll” is more so “trolling”?

R.J
01-26-2019, 01:26 PM
It’s actually a 3DN article, it’s a slow time of the offseason. A little discussion doesn’t hurt. It’s at least football related and somewhat relevant. Really not much trolling here IMO, so I’m not sure if calling out a “troll” is more so “trolling”?
I'll leave it to Will, at least he has a clue.

argolio
01-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Whether or not a troll started this thread, it's a worthy topic.

One of the main reasons Ambrosie was hired was to chase down new revenue streams, but maybe we should be careful what we wish for. If, in some alternate universe, the CFL had one of those multi-billion dollar TV contracts that every sport league chases, imagine how much tickets would cost. I would be watching every game on TV. I've been to one Leafs game in 15 years, and that was only because I got free tickets.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8