PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the football "experts" the sun has covering the team

AngeloV
06-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Just going through some Sun TV videos and came across this gem of a report by Bill Lankoff. How can a man that knows nothing about any of the players in rookie camp be a beat writer? Gerald Riggs was a stud at University of Tennessee, and they are on TV in this market all of the time.

That is probably why I get so frustrated when certain posters on here use the articles of these "writers" to try and back up their point of views.

http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/sports/latest-stories/1896809991/who-are-these-guys/1666497797001

Wobbler
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
That did look minimally researched and entirely unrehearsed.

1argoholic
06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
He's trying to play up the fact that it's rookies that no one has heard of but he looked and sounded like he was working with an extreme hangover or something. He sounded like a complete buffoon. Now there's a word that needs to be used more. haha.
I've always hated when people put down these young guys working as hard as they can to make their dreams come true.

Deerkeeper
06-03-2012, 03:28 PM
It would take a power greater than what exists in the universe to make me want to watch anything Sun TV produces, but like the car wreck on the side of the road I kind of had to look at this and your right, it was pretty pathetic report. Nothing like what you would see on a real network.

zontar
06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Hard to judge Sun TV if you vow never to watch it, no ?

I watch it because they cover stories that the other equally biased networks wont touch. Its a fledgling brand and will take time to polish. Anyone remember how bad CBC Newsworld was when it started and CTV newsnet is still barely usefull.

As far as Sun print goes cant complain much there as they devote considerably more space to the CFL than the other dailies including TC news that the HAM daily overlooks.

1argoholic
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I was watching CTV Newsnet cover the Eaton Centre shootings yesterday with CP24 reporters and station hosts. It was CRAP!!! Man are they bust league.

Rich
06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Wow, first people complain there's not enough Argos coverage, then we we get a lot of coverage and people complain because it's not Pulitzer Prize material. No wonder some people in the media see CFL fans as a bunch of whiners.

Bill Lankhof is an old pro. He has said some unkind things about the Argonauts in the past, but he's always interesting to read. He posted two articles to the Sun website on Sunday night, and they sure look like they were written by somebody who knows what he's talking about.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/03/milanovich-kicking-up-the-tempo

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/03/ricky-ray-playing-the-name-game

AngeloV
06-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow, first people complain there's not enough Argos coverage, then we we get a lot of coverage and people complain because it's not Pulitzer Prize material. No wonder some people in the media see CFL fans as a bunch of whiners.

Bill Lankhof is an old pro. He has said some unkind things about the Argonauts in the past, but he's always interesting to read. He posted two articles to the Sun website on Sunday night, and they sure look like they were written by somebody who knows what he's talking about.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/03/milanovich-kicking-up-the-tempo

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/03/ricky-ray-playing-the-name-game

Say what you want Rich, but IMO it's brutal to be covering a team (or sport) and not know any of the players. Where is his research and professionalism? He had no clue as to the type of college player Gerald Riggs was. In fact, it sounded as if he didn't even know or care if he played college ball. It's not hard in this day and age to get a bio on any players. Posters here have more info than Lankoff knew.

Besides, the point I was making was more or less when certain posters try to use a story one of these jokers has written as evidence to back up their point of view in a dispute on here.

Ballstothewall
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Just going through some Sun TV videos and came across this gem of a report by Bill Lankoff. How can a man that knows nothing about any of the players in rookie camp be a beat writer? Gerald Riggs was a stud at University of Tennessee, and they are on TV in this market all of the time.

That is probably why I get so frustrated when certain posters on here use the articles of these "writers" to try and back up their point of views.

http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/sports/latest-stories/1896809991/who-are-these-guys/1666497797001

But did anyone email or contact Lankoff about his poor lack of knowledge. I can tell you that if he filed a report like that with a team like TFC, he would have been bombarded with emails from Fans. Thats one issue i have with us Argofans, very few of us contact the media person who files what we think is a unfair report on a situation

ArgoRavi
06-05-2012, 10:47 PM
But did anyone email or contact Lankoff about his poor lack of knowledge. I can tell you that if he filed a report like that with a team like TFC, he would have been bombarded with emails from Fans. Thats one issue i have with us Argofans, very few of us contact the media person who files what we think is a unfair report on a situation

TFC fans don't have the long history of being beaten down by the media that Argo/CFL fans do. I think that we have reached a state of learned helplessness whereas TFC fans haven't given up on effecting change because they have only been around for a short time.

Rich
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Say what you want Rich, but IMO it's brutal to be covering a team (or sport) and not know any of the players. Where is his research and professionalism? He had no clue as to the type of college player Gerald Riggs was. In fact, it sounded as if he didn't even know or care if he played college ball. It's not hard in this day and age to get a bio on any players. Posters here have more info than Lankoff knew.

Besides, the point I was making was more or less when certain posters try to use a story one of these jokers has written as evidence to back up their point of view in a dispute on here.

I hear ya, but the reality is that outside of Chris Schultz and maybe David Naylor, there's not a single sports writer or broadcaster in Canada who knows a damn thing about NCAA football. That's one reason why Canadians are so ill-informed about how good CFL players really are.

AngeloV
06-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I hear ya, but the reality is that outside of Chris Schultz and maybe David Naylor, there's not a single sports writer or broadcaster in Canada who knows a damn thing about NCAA football. That's one reason why Canadians are so ill-informed about how good CFL players really are.

Have to agree with you there. Sadly, even less know about CIS football, and that is in there very own backyard.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8