PDA

View Full Version : Chamblin says Ricky still undecided about his future

jerrym
01-28-2019, 02:49 AM
After talking to Ricky Ray about whether he is coming back for 2019, HC Corey Chamblin said on 620 CKRM's The Sports Cage that Ricky is still undecided and that they will talk again in February.

paulwoods13
01-28-2019, 07:41 AM
I assume Shambles is a function of spell-check, and not an actual attempt at a nickname?

Will
01-28-2019, 08:28 AM
I assume Shambles is a function of spell-check, and not an actual attempt at a nickname?

I can fix that!

Ricky is a free agent.

Make your decision before free agency starts.

Though, I'm kicking the tires at Harris, BLM or Reilly (if they get to FA).

paulwoods13
01-28-2019, 09:02 AM
I'm betting Ricky decides to continue playing, and tests the market. Just a gut feeling at this point, based mostly on the fact experienced QBs are in short supply and he has potential for another year of big earnings. He'd want to go somewhere with a very solid o-line, obviously.

R.J
01-28-2019, 09:41 AM
The Argos should move on whether Ray is wants to return or not - the team needs to figure out it's future now, and not live in the past.

I hope for Ray's sake that he hangs them up. There's nothing more to prove, and the injuries are mounting up...

Will
01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
The Argos should move on whether Ray is wants to return or not - the team needs to figure out it's future now, and not live in the past.

I hope for Ray's sake that he hangs them up. There's nothing more to prove, and the injuries are mounting up...

Hindsight is 20/20, but he should've gone out as a champion after the 2017 season.

Argo57
01-28-2019, 06:40 PM

Agree on all counts R.J, time to establish the “next guy”.

paulwoods13
01-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Naylor and Scianitti say the Argos have soured on both incumbents, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Ricky come back. I'd hate to give up on Franklin this early, and I really doubt they will just release him outright, but it seems less and less likely that he will be our starter this year. The TSN guys think Argos will make a big push for Reilly and/or Harris. I've been assuming they will go after Reilly for months -- it seems obvious that they would like a "name" as well as a guy who can really play. IMO it's not out of the question that they also woo Mitchell if he hasn't signed in the NFL by free agency (and I really doubt he will have done so).

Stevoman
01-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Naylor and Scianitti say the Argos have soured on both incumbents, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Ricky come back. I'd hate to give up on Franklin this early, and I really doubt they will just release him outright, but it seems less and less likely that he will be our starter this year. The TSN guys think Argos will make a big push for Reilly and/or Harris. I've been assuming they will go after Reilly for months -- it seems obvious that they would like a "name" as well as a guy who can really play. IMO it's not out of the question that they also woo Mitchell if he hasn't signed in the NFL by free agency (and I really doubt he will have done so).

I'd like to see the Argos get Harris back (never should've let him go in my opinion) but would also think it's a shame if they move on from Franklin so quickly.

AngeloV
01-29-2019, 12:04 AM

I personally want Franklin to be given every opportunity to be the guy. Reilly is great, but may cost them 600k, and let's be honest, how many casual fans in this city really know Reilly from Kevin Glenn? The only name that would spark real interest among them casuals would be Manziel.

Argo57
01-29-2019, 04:56 AM
I personally want Franklin to be given every opportunity to be the guy. Reilly is great, but may cost them 600k, and let's be honest, how many casual fans in this city really know Reilly from Kevin Glenn? The only name that would spark real interest among them casuals would be Manziel.

Giving up on Franklin could very well be one of those “how did we let this guy get away” moves the the Argos could regret.
They should be very careful with this one.

paulwoods13
01-29-2019, 09:02 AM
To me the smart play (and it definitely won't happen) would be to sign both Reilly and Harris, then auction off Harris to the highest bidder among Ott, BC, Sask and Calgary. While also trading Franklin back to Edm. We could upgrade not only at QB but all over the place with the assets the two traded QBs would yield. As I said, it won't happen, but with an acute QB shortage in the league, it's fun to dream.

R.J
01-29-2019, 09:17 AM
This sounds like something the Argos would do. Always on the lookout for another team's elite QB, yet never seem to be able to develop and keep their own.

Antwon
01-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Giving up on Franklin could very well be one of those “how did we let this guy get away” moves the the Argos could regret.
They should be very careful with this one.

I agree, I think Franklin should be given another year with a new offence. For many reasons it didn’t click with Trestman’s offence. But a lot didn’t click with Trestman in his second year and he’s been removed.
Also remember how many years Masoli was a backup. Given the right coach/offence under Jones and he’s now a very capable starter on the rise.

Developing a younger QB and MLSE can build on marketing him.

Neely2005
01-29-2019, 09:51 AM
This sounds like something the Argos would do. Always on the lookout for another team's elite QB, yet never seem to be able to develop and keep their own.

In all fairness that strategy has worked out pretty well with Grey Cup wins in 1991 (Dunnigan) 1996, 1997 (Flutie) 2004 (Allen) 2012, 2017 (Ray)

AngeloV
01-29-2019, 11:27 AM
In all fairness that strategy has worked out pretty well with Grey Cup wins in 1991 (Dunnigan) 1996, 1997 (Flutie) 2004 (Allen) 2012, 2017 (Ray)

Also a big part of the reason why the Argos are hit and miss overall. Every time the big name free agent or vet QB leaves, they struggle until the next one comes in. Time to just let Franklin play and develop.

R.J
01-29-2019, 12:32 PM
And how many times have the Argos missed the playoffs since '91 ?

I want to see some consistency from this team; I don't think I ever have.

Neely2005
01-29-2019, 02:32 PM
And how many times have the Argos missed the playoffs since '91 ?

I want to see some consistency from this team; I don't think I ever have.

Not sure if you actually wanted to know but the Argonauts have missed the playoffs 11 times since 1991.

That I agree with. The only thing consistent about the Argonauts is their inconsistency! :-)
The last time we had back to back winning regular seasons was 2006 & 2007!

R.J
01-29-2019, 07:13 PM
The last time we had back to back winning regular seasons was 2006 & 2007!
Which was then followed by a 4-14 record in '08, and 3-15 record in '09 lol.

Neely2005
01-29-2019, 09:08 PM
Which was then followed by a 4-14 record in '08, and 3-15 record in '09 lol.

Yup! It's feast or famine with the Argonauts.

Argo57
02-05-2019, 09:45 PM
I agree, I think Franklin should be given another year with a new offence. For many reasons it didn’t click with Trestman’s offence. But a lot didn’t click with Trestman in his second year and he’s been removed.
Also remember how many years Masoli was a backup. Given the right coach/offence under Jones and he’s now a very capable starter on the rise.

Developing a younger QB and MLSE can build on marketing him.

Patience is a virtue, Hamilton is living proof of this.

Neely2005
02-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Patience is a virtue, Hamilton is living proof of this.

Yeah they've been being patient for 20 years!
:-)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8