PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Argonauts Season Prediction - How Many Wins?

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 05:04 PM
With almost all of the big name free agents signed what is your prediction for the 2019 Argonauts Regular Season?

How much will we improve from last season's 4-14 record?

If you think that it's still to soon to vote feel free to hold off on voting until later.

ArgoGabe22
02-12-2019, 05:09 PM
WAY TOO EARLY, no?

Argo57
02-12-2019, 05:22 PM
WAY TOO EARLY, no?

Absolutely.

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 05:25 PM
WAY TOO EARLY, no?

Lol, that's specifically why I said "If you think that it's still to soon to vote feel free to hold off on voting until later".
:-)

Personally I think that after today we know the core of our roster so I voted now. (6 Wins)

paulwoods13
02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Let's remember to revisit these predictions in November. I recall a lot of "we'll be lucky to win 3 games" predictions two years ago. But then again, no one could have foreseen how both BC and Edm would load up and go 18-0 this season. And Hamilton by default is good for at least 13-14 wins, no?

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Let's remember to revisit these predictions in November. I recall a lot of "we'll be lucky to win 3 games" predictions two years ago. But then again, no one could have foreseen how both BC and Edm would load up and go 18-0 this season. And Hamilton by default is good for at least 13-14 wins, no?

Feel free, it's all for entertainment and discussion purposes. Obviously I hope that my prediction is wrong but I don't see many improvements or upgrades on our roster compared to last season.

Nob
02-12-2019, 06:22 PM
They won 4 last year. Any reason to think that they are better than what they were a year ago?

Argo57
02-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Feel free, it's all for entertainment and discussion purposes. Obviously I hope that my prediction is wrong but I don't see many improvements or upgrades on our roster compared to last season.

Still some very good players available, give it time.

ArgoGabe22
02-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Feel free, it's all for entertainment and discussion purposes.

I see it more as taking a subtle shot at the organization for getting nothing done as of 5pm on the first day of Free Agency. Time to pack it in folks, season is over.

Will
02-12-2019, 06:38 PM
I see it more as taking a subtle shot at the organization for getting nothing done as of 5pm on the first day of Free Agency. Time to pack it in folks, season is over.

There was a farmer who had a dog,
And Bingo was his name-o.
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
And Bingo was his name-o

AngeloV
02-12-2019, 07:50 PM
I think they are going to move to the AAF, since it`s obvious they have no desire to win in the CFL this season.

R.J
02-12-2019, 08:00 PM
I think they are going to move to the AAF, since it`s obvious they have no desire to win in the CFL this season.
XFL... too late now for the AAF this season.

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Still some very good players available, give it time.

Who are you referring to / hoping to get?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/Z8HuH3h0Gf">https://t.co/Z8HuH3h0Gf</a> put together a list of the top 30 players there is just 6 left.  Micah Awe, Taylor Loffler, Jonathan Jennings, Derel Walker, and Ja'Gared Davis. Wow. <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN1150?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TSN1150</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN_LouisB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TSN_LouisB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/jimtatti?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jimtatti</a></p>&mdash; Brad Joosse (@BradJoosse) <a href="https://twitter.com/BradJoosse/status/1095450989295919104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 12, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 08:02 PM

You'd be wrong.

AngeloV
02-12-2019, 08:06 PM
XFL... too late now for the AAF this season.

Good point.

paulwoods13
02-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Subtle?!

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 09:13 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Argos went 4-14 last season and did... what today?</p>&mdash; Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/1095504405971910656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AngeloV
02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Argos went 4-14 last season and did... what today?</p>— Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/1095504405971910656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually that tweet makes me feel even better about what the Argos did today. Other than re-signing their own guy in Bo Levi Mitchell, what did the Stamps do? They've lost a lot of really good players. But no panic there. Not Popp's first rodeo. He will pick up some really good what are considered to be 2nd tier FA's, and unlike BC and Edmonton, will be able to have depth on his team. I personally feel Edmonton's moves are the most overrated of all today.

Neely2005
02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Actually that tweet makes me feel even better about what the Argos did today. Other than re-signing their own guy in Bo Levi Mitchell, what did the Stamps do? They've lost a lot of really good players. But no panic there. Not Popp's first rodeo. He will pick up some really good what are considered to be 2nd tier FA's, and unlike BC and Edmonton, will be able to have depth on his team. I personally feel Edmonton's moves are the most overrated of all today.

Small difference is that the Argonauts finished last in the CFL last season while the Stampeders won the Grey Cup.

Stevoman
02-12-2019, 11:43 PM
The 2019 season is about adding depth and building a more aggressive culture. But, because it is February I'll have a little fun and predict a 7-9 win season with Franklin developing as a bona fide starter, but because he is not superstar level yet, settles for signing an extension towards the end of the season. Then, in 2020 the Argos become a true challenger in the East with Franklin playing at a high level and conveniently signed for 3 more seasons of which the Argos challenge each year for the Grey Cup (winning at least one) and Franklin becomes the next Pinball Clemons in this town!

Sadly though, with the 1 and 2 year contracts, teams could be forever rebuilding or buying all the right pieces in one off season to win it all. It so unpredictable and can never be a 3 year plan. I do think players need longer contracts for continuity to help with fan interest. It's hard to every be loyal to a player knowing they are only there for 1-2 years. I mean, how do you think Ottawa is feeling regarding Trevor Harris right now?

argolio
02-12-2019, 11:46 PM
20 wins

Neely2005
02-13-2019, 09:21 AM
The 2019 season is about adding depth and building a more aggressive culture. But, because it is February I'll have a little fun and predict a 7-9 win season with Franklin developing as a bona fide starter, but because he is not superstar level yet, settles for signing an extension towards the end of the season. Then, in 2020 the Argos become a true challenger in the East with Franklin playing at a high level and conveniently signed for 3 more seasons of which the Argos challenge each year for the Grey Cup (winning at least one) and Franklin becomes the next Pinball Clemons in this town!

Sadly though, with the 1 and 2 year contracts, teams could be forever rebuilding or buying all the right pieces in one off season to win it all. It so unpredictable and can never be a 3 year plan. I do think players need longer contracts for continuity to help with fan interest. It's hard to every be loyal to a player knowing they are only there for 1-2 years. I mean, how do you think Ottawa is feeling regarding Trevor Harris right now?

Well said. I hope you're right about Franklin re-signing because if he walks as a free agent after this season then we're in even bigger trouble.

mchesher03
02-13-2019, 03:51 PM
I voted 9 wins based on nothing more than naive optimism. We are all just guessing anyways - it's the middle of February.

paulwoods13
02-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Well said. I hope you're right about Franklin re-signing because if he walks as a free agent after this season then we're in even bigger trouble.

Why? Won't there be any free agent QBs available next year? Collaros and Masoli are in the last year of their deals, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jennings signs a one-year deal with Ottawa. And then there's Manziel and probably Pipkin. Isn't it a wee bit early to worry about the sky falling?

R.J
02-13-2019, 04:21 PM
If he walks, he walks. Popp may not even be here to pick the next QB in 2020 - John Murphy might be the guy doing so.

Neely2005
02-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Why? Won't there be any free agent QBs available next year? Collaros and Masoli are in the last year of their deals, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jennings signs a one-year deal with Ottawa. And then there's Manziel and probably Pipkin. Isn't it a wee bit early to worry about the sky falling?

This year had big names like BLM, Reilly and Harris available. To my knowledge no QB of that calibre will be available next season.

I'm not a fan of Colloros or Masoli. Pipkin is signed through 2020. I suppose Jennings would be an option. Not sure if Manziel will stick around past this year. I assume that Saskatchewan will also be looking for a QB next season.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/28/als-extend-pipkin-mathews-adams-jr/

R.J
02-13-2019, 04:27 PM
This year had big names like BLM, Reilly and Harris available. To my knowledge no QB of that calibre will be available next season.

I'm not a fan of Colloros or Masoli. Pipkin is signed through 2020. I suppose Jennings would be an option. Not sure if Manziel will stick around past this year. I assume that Saskatchewan will also be looking for a QB next season.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/28/als-extend-pipkin-mathews-adams-jr/
Argos were never going to get the big 3 anyways, so I'm failing to see your point here.

Neely2005
02-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Argos were never going to get the big 3 anyways, so I'm failing to see your point here.

That to my knowledge we don't have a QB signed past this season.
That Franklin may struggle again and we don't have anyone else who is proven to back him up.
That if Franklin does play well he may walk as a free agent.

paulwoods13
02-13-2019, 04:58 PM
But no, it's not too early.

argolio
02-13-2019, 06:06 PM
8 wins, 5 ties

CFLfan
02-14-2019, 01:48 PM

They tried hard, the offer to BLM was $800k, they were sure he would take that.
As for predictions, it seems that after two days of free agency the "experts" have agreed that the Ticats are the team to beat in the East and the other 3 aren't going to do anything.
I have heard the predictions about the Ticats for the past 4 years, on paper they are always picked for first in the East.
I won't attempt to predict how many wins for the Argos until I see what happens in camp and the pre-season.

Rich
02-14-2019, 05:19 PM
That if Franklin does play well he may walk as a free agent.

If Franklin plays great this year he will get a big contract offer from the team and I am guessing he would take it. He's got his young family firmly entrenched here and would be unlikely to uproot them.

gilthethrill
02-14-2019, 05:22 PM
8 wins, 5 ties

Would you please stop.

doubleblue
02-14-2019, 06:24 PM
They wouldn't let me vote. :cry: But I'll say 9 & 9 good for 2nd place.

AngeloV
02-14-2019, 07:48 PM
If Franklin plays great this year he will get a big contract offer from the team and I am guessing he would take it. He's got his young family firmly entrenched here and would be unlikely to uproot them.

Agreed. As I said earlier, he's betting on himself to have a good year and get a better deal than the status quo. I like the confidence.

argolio
02-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Would you please stop.

Would you believe 7 regulation wins, 2 overtime wins, and 1 forfeit win?

gilthethrill
02-15-2019, 05:22 AM
Would you believe 7 regulation wins, 2 overtime wins, and 1 forfeit win?

Missed it by "That much"...

AngeloV
02-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Missed it by "That much"...

But the cone of silence isn't working.

Neely2005
02-15-2019, 12:19 PM
But the cone of silence isn't working.

Lol, it never did.
:-)

mchesher03
02-15-2019, 01:08 PM
They tried hard, the offer to BLM was $800k, they were sure he would take that.
As for predictions, it seems that after two days of free agency the "experts" have agreed that the Ticats are the team to beat in the East and the other 3 aren't going to do anything.
I have heard the predictions about the Ticats for the past 4 years, on paper they are always picked for first in the East.
I won't attempt to predict how many wins for the Argos until I see what happens in camp and the pre-season.

this is ideal actually, all the more chance for those fans to build up their expectations only to see another team hoisting the Grey Cup again, as has been the case since 1999 hahaha.

AngeloV
02-15-2019, 01:43 PM

It's pretty funny that people think it's a foregone conclusion that Hamilton will win the east. Honestly, they have made pretty well no changes at this point, and appear to be going with the status quo from last year, which had a miserable record against the other playoff teams last year (2-9). And they lost their All star MIKE and SAM LB's to boot.

Neely2005
02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
It's pretty funny that people think it's a foregone conclusion that Hamilton will win the east. Honestly, they have made pretty well no changes at this point, and appear to be going with the status quo from last year, which had a miserable record against the other playoff teams last year (2-9). And they lost their All star MIKE and SAM LB's to boot.

Not only are most people picking Hamilton to win the East, a Lot of them are saying that they're going to easily run away with the East.

AngeloV
02-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Not only are most people picking Hamilton to win the East, a Lot of them are saying that they're going to easily run away with the East.

Well, A lot of people thought the Argos were going to win the east last year and that Ottawa was going to have a big slide too.

Ti-Cats were overrated last year, and likely are again this year. They beat up on the Argos and Montreal, beat Edmonton twice and were really quite bad against the rest of the league.

R.J
02-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Ottawa doesn't look like they're going anywhere but the basement right now, as they lost a lot of players on offence and defence. Montreal in theory should be better, as they've upgraded, but... it'll on depend on the QB and their brand new DC who hasn't coached in 5 years and never coached in the CFL. Hamilton didn't do much of anything, so it'll be interesting to see if the progress or regress. And in TO, it'll depend on if Chamblin can improve the D again, and the QB (Chaps is a good OC IMO, although he gets really stubborn with the run game at times). Hamllton's been winning the East every February since 2013....

Will
02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
What it boils down to with Hamilton is that they have the best QB in the East right now, and that is going to influence people's thinking.

Like in 2017, Argos need a few things to break their way in 2019:

i. Franklin develops into the QB we think he will.
ii. The team gets a break with injuries (which they did not in 2018)
iii. The defence's problem in 2018 was solely because of Archer, and that Chamblin's "touch" will work wonders.

Argo57
02-15-2019, 07:05 PM

TSN1150 on air personalities seem to feel the Ticat’s have already won the 2019 Eastern Division, I like the fact they regularly discuss CFL football but can’t take too much of Jim Tatti’s smarmy anti Argo comments.

R.J
02-15-2019, 10:16 PM
TSN1150 on air personalities seem to feel the Ticat’s have already won the 2019 Eastern Division, I like the fact they regularly discuss CFL football but can’t take too much of Jim Tatti’s smarmy anti Argo comments.
Tatti's just playing to the audience.

Argo57
02-16-2019, 02:58 AM
Tatti's just playing to the audience.

Yes guy👍

Argo57
02-16-2019, 03:06 AM

Funny things can happen when they actually play the games, in the CFL you never know.

Will
02-16-2019, 10:34 AM
I like Marshall Ferguson. He isn't a blatant Ticats homer, and does some great work for CFL.ca.

Melo and Louie B are Ticat homers through and through though.

AngeloV
02-16-2019, 11:49 AM
I like Marshall Ferguson. He isn't a blatant Ticats homer, and does some great work for CFL.ca.

Melo and Louie B are Ticat homers through and through though.

I have no problem with a local station playing the homer game towards their own team. Marty York makes me laugh on twitter, but man is he obsessed with this.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8