PDA

View Full Version : Marc Trestman Update

Argo57
02-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Marc Trestman recovering from double hip replacement surgery and comment on losing his job with the Argos.
Always seems to take a positive viewpoint on any situation, 2018 didn’t go so well but he remains a class act.

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/24/former-argos-coach-marc-trestman-on-the-mend-after-surgery-job-loss/

john
02-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Marc Trestman recovering from double hip replacement surgery and comment on losing his job with the Argos.
Always seems to take a positive viewpoint on any situation, 2018 didn’t go so well but he remains a class act.

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/24/former-argos-coach-marc-trestman-on-the-mend-after-surgery-job-loss/

$600k for not having a job can really help someone be a 'class act'
i really think his personal issues spilled into his bad coaching decisions creating his mental problems in 2018 - he should have taken a leave of absence - that would been the classy thing to do

i hope he recovers physically and mentally

Argo57
02-24-2019, 05:27 PM
$600k for not having a job can really help someone be a 'class act'
i really think his personal issues spilled into his bad coaching decisions creating his mental problems in 2018 - he should have taken a leave of absence - that would been the classy thing to do

i hope he recovers physically and mentally

Sorry but being a class act has zero to do with how much income you earn and more about how you conduct yourself in daily life and how you treat others.
I know he lost his father and his wife was battling illness which would affect most people.

john
02-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Sorry but being a class act has zero to do with how much income you earn and more about how you conduct yourself in daily life and how you treat others.
I know he lost his father and his wife was battling illness which would affect most people.
since u agree that issues in his personal life affected him and his coaching decisions he should have taken a leave of absence showing his players that nobody is above the welfare of the team

Argo57
02-24-2019, 05:57 PM
since u agree that issues in his personal life affected him and his coaching decisions he should have taken a leave of absence showing his players that nobody is above the welfare of the team

That was up to him and the team to figure out, if he wasn’t capable of doing his job I’m sure both he and the team would have made other arrangements.
I’ll leave any other speculation and/or judgement to yourself.

Stevoman
02-24-2019, 06:23 PM
A classy coach that delivered us a championship but also had a poor year with regards to in game challenges and utilization of players. There's probably many factors as to why one year was so much better than the other and I wish him well but I am glad for a new start this season.

AngeloV
02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
There is no doubt he is a class act. I didn't care for the way he handled the team last year, but I will never have a bad thing to say about Mark Trestman, the person.

R.J
02-24-2019, 08:24 PM
There is no doubt he is a class act. I didn't care for the way he handled the team last year, but I will never have a bad thing to say about Mark Trestman, the person.
Likewise.

Shatto
02-24-2019, 10:10 PM
AngeloV---well said

Rich
02-25-2019, 02:03 AM

For all we know Trestman wanted to do just that, step down from the job for personal reasons at the end of the season. And out of respect for his services MLSE concocted the firing story in order to let Trestman retain his salary for 2019.

john
02-25-2019, 02:07 AM
For all we know Trestman wanted to do just that, step down from the job for personal reasons at the end of the season. And out of respect for his services MLSE concocted the firing story in order to let Trestman retain his salary for 2019.

a corporation voluntarily giving away $600k ? to a coach that was very possibly suffering from mental issues

jerrym
02-25-2019, 03:33 AM
I agree Trestman was a class act but it's hard to believe I was watching the same game as him towards the end of the season based on his comment in the article.

I loved our coaches, I loved our players, I thought everybody stayed together throughout the season. I look at it as one of my better coaching jobs actually, in terms of just keeping a team together, working hard.

1971GreyCup
02-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Many, many great coaches have suffered terrible years after losing key players to injuries 9not to mention a key coach defection). Rather than trash a fine man and great coach, I’d prefer to be thankful for an unexpected Grey Cup. If I recall correctly, 2017 was a year and draft that started without either a head coach and GM. Three Grey Cup wins in five visits over 7 years.

Under almost any circumstances Marc is the head coach I’d want heading a veteran CFL team going into a season.

paulwoods13
02-25-2019, 07:43 AM

Why would an organization and a coach think that a concocted firing story was better than a resignation/retirement? If MLSE wanted to be so generous as to pay him when he wanted to step down, wouldn't they also be generous in not issuing the humiliation of a firing?

john
02-25-2019, 08:07 AM
I agree Trestman was a class act but it's hard to believe I was watching the same game as him towards the end of the season based on his comment in the article.

hhhmmmmm very oddd
trestman had a verbal tiff w/ lemon [caught on tv] during a game and poof lemon is traded to bc for pretty much nothing, but wait lemon is back here [I think lemon is a great asset]
kick returner martese Jackson [whose returning skills really helped argos in 2017 east final] has words w/ trestman and poof he is traded to eskimos for practically nothing
I did notice that his returning style changed in his last few games w/ argos - was much more north-south instead of using his speed going east-west

Will
02-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Certainly in agreement with you on this point.

Jon Gonzo
02-25-2019, 11:55 AM
He'll be known as one of the best CFL Coaches All-Time. Already is. He had the ability to change peoples lives. He won the Argos a Grey Cup they probably shouldn't have won. Due to circumstances, I think the right move was made but I won't forget the impact Marc Trestman had in his short time in Toronto. Class act all the way.

Argo57
02-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Many, many great coaches have suffered terrible years after losing key players to injuries 9not to mention a key coach defection). Rather than trash a fine man and great coach, I’d prefer to be thankful for an unexpected Grey Cup. If I recall correctly, 2017 was a year and draft that started without either a head coach and GM. Three Grey Cup wins in five visits over 7 years.

Under almost any circumstances Marc is the head coach I’d want heading a veteran CFL team going into a season.

Agreed on all counts.

ArgofanIan
02-25-2019, 08:34 PM
A class guy who got us an other Cup win. had major personal challenges. I wish him nothing but the best.

argotom
02-25-2019, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=jerrym;138281]I agree Trestman was a class act but it's hard to believe I was watching the same game as him towards the end of the season based on his comment in the article.

Agreed.

Rich
02-26-2019, 01:17 AM
Why would an organization and a coach think that a concocted firing story was better than a resignation/retirement? If MLSE wanted to be so generous as to pay him when he wanted to step down, wouldn't they also be generous in not issuing the humiliation of a firing?

Because they wanted the fans to think that MLSE was on top of the situation and being proactive and decisive at the end of a terrible season.

john
02-26-2019, 01:29 AM
Because they wanted the fans to think that MLSE was on top of the situation and being proactive and decisive at the end of a terrible season.
or mlse finally acted upon the talk that trestman was mentally unbalanced

paulwoods13
02-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Sorry, not buying it. Why would Trestman care more about MLSE seeming to be on top of things than how he himself was perceived (i.e. as someone who got fired)?

Rich
02-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Sorry, not buying it. Why would Trestman care more about MLSE seeming to be on top of things than how he himself was perceived (i.e. as someone who got fired)?

I don't want to belabour this scenario much further, but just to clarify: Trestman needed to quit for health reasons but was willing to go through with the firing scenario in order to receive his $600 grand for 2019, which he wouldn't have been entitled to otherwise. Who among us wouldn't endure a little public humiliation in exchange for $600 grand free money? It was a win-win situation.

1971GreyCup
02-27-2019, 06:46 AM
If Marc Trestman had double hip surgery, he may have used the 12 month paid hiatus to improve a chronic issue. It’s a deteriorating condition and in the USA he doesn’t need to go on an OHIP type wait list for a few years. Like everything Coach Trestman does, he weighed all the options and determined that the conditions were good to move up a needed surgery.

He didn’t receive free money. The Argos contractually agreed to pay him $1.8 million dollars to coach here for three years and he agreed not to coach anywhere else. They asked him not to return for his last year. No where has it been said that he refused to honour the last year of his contract.

john
02-27-2019, 07:01 AM
If Marc Trestman had double hip surgery, he may have used the 12 month paid hiatus to improve a chronic issue. It’s a deteriorating condition and in the USA he doesn’t need to go on an OHIP type wait list for a few years. Like everything Coach Trestman does, he weighed all the options and determined that the conditions were good to move up a needed surgery.

He didn’t receive free money. The Argos contractually agreed to pay him $1.8 million dollars to coach here for three years and he agreed not to coach anywhere else. They asked him not to return for his last year. No where has it been said that he refused to honour the last year of his contract.

trestman 'claimed' that he was teaching players to be better husbands and fathers and that would make them better players
asking for time off to deal w/ his personal issues would have been the correct thing to do to show players that even he is not above the welfare of the team
dumping lemon [who was signed by popp for 2019] and dumping martese Jackson [whose plate really helped argos in 2017 east final] cause they both had tiffs w/ trestman was NOT the adult thing to do
that coupled his very poor handling of qb and the 4-14 record showed that he does practice what he preaches
I hope he works out his personal issues but teams dont fire a head coach and pay him $600k NOT to coach without a very good reason
I think hd cc id a very good choice and oc being a cdn and a former hc will create a new and exciting era of play calling

1971GreyCup
02-27-2019, 07:04 AM
trestman 'claimed' that he was teaching players to be better husbands and fathers and that would make them better players
asking for time off to deal w/ his personal issues would have been the correct thing to do to show players that even he is not above the welfare of the team
dumping lemon [who was signed by popp for 2019] and dumping martese Jackson [whose plate really helped argos in 2017 east final] cause they both had tiffs w/ trestman was NOT the adult thing to do
that coupled his very poor handling of qb and the 4-14 record showed that he does practice what he preaches
I hope he works out his personal issues but teams dont fire a head coach and pay him $600k NOT to coach without a very good reason
I think hd cc id a very good choice and oc being a cdn and a former hc will create a new and exciting era of play calling

Clearly you haven’t been following the Argos for the last 50 years! Toronto Maple Leaf ownership has been even more extreme during this period.

1971GreyCup
02-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Marc Trestman left coaches and players and staff better people. Only yesterday he was referred to on LinkedIn.

When you have an opportunity ask any player or coach. Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino et al. will tell you exactly the same thing.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/02/22/charles-schwab-ceo-reveals-how-he-tests-job-candidates-by-taking-them-to-breakfast-having-restaurant-mess-up-their-order

“This story reminds me a lot of former Argos head coach Marc Trestman’s philosophies in leadership. Marc would often watch to see if players or staff would push in their chair after lunch, or how they would address the bus driver or janitorial staff, as they were all strong indications of someone’s character. He led by example and truly believed that every single person, no matter at what level of an organization, contributes to its success. Those philosophies led us to a Grey Cup win in 2017 so I guess it works.”

Jamie Dykstra

Neely2005
02-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Marc Trestman left coaches and players and staff better people. Only yesterday he was referred to on LinkedIn.

When you have an opportunity ask any player or coach. Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino et al. will tell you exactly the same thing.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/02/22/charles-schwab-ceo-reveals-how-he-tests-job-candidates-by-taking-them-to-breakfast-having-restaurant-mess-up-their-order

“This story reminds me a lot of former Argos head coach Marc Trestman’s philosophies in leadership. Marc would often watch to see if players or staff would push in their chair after lunch, or how they would address the bus driver or janitorial staff, as they were all strong indications of someone’s character. He led by example and truly believed that every single person, no matter at what level of an organization, contributes to its success. Those philosophies led us to a Grey Cup win in 2017 so I guess it works.”

Jamie Dykstra

How quickly the 2017 Grey Cup Championship is being forgotten by some. What have you done for me lately I guess.

ArgoGabe22
02-27-2019, 10:18 AM
I don't want to belabour this scenario much further, but just to clarify: Trestman needed to quit for health reasons but was willing to go through with the firing scenario in order to receive his $600 grand for 2019, which he wouldn't have been entitled to otherwise. Who among us wouldn't endure a little public humiliation in exchange for $600 grand free money? It was a win-win situation.

Argos were terrible. Especially with expectations to be better than in 2017. He also clashed with management with the handling of Franklin and Carter. He was fired for his record, not because it looked better to fire him than to have him quit for health reasons. Not buying it either.

john
02-27-2019, 01:04 PM
How quickly the 2017 Grey Cup Championship is being forgotten by some. What have you done for me lately I guess.

wasnt the same trestman that admonished an argo employee causing him to quit ?

Neely2005
02-27-2019, 02:05 PM
wasnt the same trestman that admonished an argo employee causing him to quit ?

And that has what to do with winning the 2017 Grey Cup?

john
02-27-2019, 02:42 PM
And that has what to do with winning the 2017 Grey Cup?

it makes trestman a bad and selfish man
and I think it has a lot do w/ last year's 4-14

Neely2005
02-27-2019, 02:48 PM

So it has absolutely nothing to do with the 2017 Grey Cup Championship then.

And I think that losing Ricky Ray for the season in the second game of the regular season had a lot to do with last year's 4-14 record.

R.J
02-27-2019, 02:56 PM
WTF ?
Say what you want about Trestman's offence and coaching style, but to call him a "bad and selfish man" is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, can you please go away ?

AngeloV
02-27-2019, 04:05 PM
WTF ?
Say what you want about Trestman's offence and coaching style, but to call him a "bad and selfish man" is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, can you please go away ?

He's a bad and selfish man..OTOH, Jerome Messam is a great guy and scored 2TD's in the Grey Cup.

Shatto
02-27-2019, 11:19 PM
I had the opportunity to have a couple of brief conversations with Trestman and even in those short minutes I was impressed with his character. Everything I saw or read about the man strongly suggested he was a principled individual who was committed to help young men become better people. He demanded the best of his players and would not stand for behaviour that he felt was unbecoming of one of his players. As has been stated by others, that philosophy gave us the highly unexpected Grey Cup of 2017.

In spite of my admiration and respect for Trestman, I didn't agree with some of the decisions he made last year, particularly his management of Franklin. Injuries played a part in the poor performance of the team last year but Trestman has to take a major responsibility for how the team performed.

However, let's appreciate how he miraculously managed, against all odds, to win us the 2017 Grey Cup, and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours

Not, in any way, wishing to criticize any poster but to put peoples' mind at ease, regarding knee/hip replacements--I and my friends have reached an age when most are now paying for the wear and tear of our joints because of activities of our youth ----and---among all of us we have had 12 replacements but nobody waited more than 3 months. Personally I waited 6 weeks. I mention it since I suspect most on this site have not yet reached the age for joint replacements and I just want to ease any of your concerns.

1971GreyCup
02-28-2019, 07:46 AM
I had the opportunity to have a couple of brief conversations with Trestman and even in those short minutes I was impressed with his character. Everything I saw or read about the man strongly suggested he was a principled individual who was committed to help young men become better people. He demanded the best of his players and would not stand for behaviour that he felt was unbecoming of one of his players. As has been stated by others, that philosophy gave us the highly unexpected Grey Cup of 2017.

In spite of my admiration and respect for Trestman, I didn't agree with some of the decisions he made last year, particularly his management of Franklin. Injuries played a part in the poor performance of the team last year but Trestman has to take a major responsibility for how the team performed.

However, let's appreciate how he miraculously managed, against all odds, to win us the 2017 Grey Cup, and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours

Not, in any way, wishing to criticize any poster but to put peoples' mind at ease, regarding knee/hip replacements--I and my friends have reached an age when most are now paying for the wear and tear of our joints because of activities of our youth ----and---among all of us we have had 12 replacements but nobody waited more than 3 months. Personally I waited 6 weeks. I mention it since I suspect most on this site have not yet reached the age for joint replacements and I just want to ease any of your concerns.

I stand corrected. I am glad to hear your hip replacement went well and was done in a timely fashion. If there is a criticism on our healthcare system it’s the cost/timeline ness of chronic care. But 6 weeks to 3 months is exceptional care.

Shatto
02-28-2019, 10:44 AM
1971 G.C. --appreciate your comments. Did extensive hiking holiday in Azores and Madeira four months after knee replacement, so if anyone is hesitant --don't put it off.

Completely of topic and realize subject is on another thread---hopefully there is a good turnout for the Argos Townhall. It will be a great opportunity to not only hear from Chamblin but also hear more from Ambrosie about his vision for the league. I must admit I have some reservations about the Mexico and Europe endeavours but will try to keep an open mind.

CBlake
03-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Marc is being unveiled as the head coach of the XFL team in Tampa on Tuesday.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/03/02/marc-trestman-to-be-named-head-coach-of-tampa-bay-xfl-team/?fbclid=IwAR2EcdA4jj3GQ-i8Z7JtuE87FDpDRFsp5ze8W311t2jOC8Ad2u1-TaNu0kU

Argo57
03-02-2019, 02:22 PM
Marc is being unveiled as the head coach of the XFL team in Tampa on Tuesday.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/03/02/marc-trestman-to-be-named-head-coach-of-tampa-bay-xfl-team/?fbclid=IwAR2EcdA4jj3GQ-i8Z7JtuE87FDpDRFsp5ze8W311t2jOC8Ad2u1-TaNu0kU

Good for him, glad to see Trestman back in football.

Stevoman
03-03-2019, 02:11 AM
Just wondering, does Trestman being hired by another team mean that his salary is no longer required to be paid by MLSE? Is he allowed to double dip if it's in another league?

paulwoods13
03-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Just wondering, does Trestman being hired by another team mean that his salary is no longer required to be paid by MLSE? Is he allowed to double dip if it's in another league?

Under ordinary circumstances it would depend on his contract, but the XFL does not start until next spring and I imagine MT's responsibilities there don't really begin until much later this year or early next year. So I really doubt the Argos will gain any savings from this.

Argo57
03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Under ordinary circumstances it would depend on his contract, but the XFL does not start until next spring and I imagine MT's responsibilities there don't really begin until much later this year or early next year. So I really doubt the Argos will gain any savings from this.

I also don’t think Trestman would be foolish enough to jeopardize any payout from MLSE.

AngeloV
03-03-2019, 11:45 AM
I have to say, Trestman working for Vincent K. McMahon is something I never would have predicted in a million years.

Any bets on whether or not MBT ends up in Tampa?

Jon Gonzo
03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
I bet Marcus Ball ends up there also

1971GreyCup
03-05-2019, 02:01 PM
We just happened to be at the AAF Birmingham Iron vs San Antonio Commanders game on Sunday. Marc’s OL Coach Jonathan Himelbauch is the Commanders OL coach under former CFL HC Mike Riley. We spoke briefly after the game. Jonathan was a big force in turning around the Argos Oline.

Also spoke with Commanders big defensive tackle Stefan Charles. He originally is from Oshawa and played for the Oshawa Hawkeyes and Metro Wildcats and went to Regina Rams before playing in the NFL. Surprisingly, he said he tried to come back this year but there wasn’t interest in him. I don’t know if he was speaking about the CFL in general or the Argos. I’m surprised that with his pedigree and “National” status didn’t garner interest.

paulwoods13
03-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Also spoke with Commanders big defensive tackle Stefan Charles. He originally is from Oshawa and played for the Oshawa Hawkeyes and Metro Wildcats and went to Regina Rams before playing in the NFL. Surprisingly, he said he tried to come back this year but there wasn’t interest in him. I don’t know if he was speaking about the CFL in general or the Argos. I’m surprised that with his pedigree and “National” status didn’t garner interest.

Charles was drafted by Edmonton and I believe they have exclusive rights to him in the CFL. Obviously if they didn't want him he could demand to be released or traded, and they might or might not comply. He turns 31 before the season starts and (according to Wikipedia) weighs 323 pounds, so may just be too old and too heavy for the CFL at this point.

Skilz
03-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Have a listen to the CFL Waggle Podcast which Davis Sanchez clearly reiterates speaking with Stefan Charles who claimed that the Eskimos low balled him with a Rookie Entry level contract, given that he had accrued no CFL time.
Charles, wanted to be paid like a Henoc Muamba, or comparably to Cleyon Laing. Therefore he told EDM to shove it, and likely their cap is up to the brim with hot shot Free Agent signings.

Interesting enough Trestman in his XFL Conference today, claimed that Oliver Luck flew to Toronto in mid-January to meet with him in person and pitch him on the offer.
Wonder if he had surgery in Toronto itself or just wanted to be a sucker for more pain and put up with our brutal winter? :)

1971GreyCup
03-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Marc Trestman XFL Press Conference:

:https://www.pscp.tv/w/b07M9TFEWUVYVlpSa1ZtS2d8MXlOeGFPQlFPenFHaihiFWwJP7 FrpQoB5NggvSG3tkgi_SVHWQ5d-A5YnwV8?t=20m15s

I noticed James Wilder sent a congratulations note. Pretty sure he’d love to play in Tampa where it all started for him. Any agreement between the XFL and the CFL to honour each other’s contracts?

gilthethrill
03-05-2019, 04:21 PM
We just happened to be at the AAF Birmingham Iron vs San Antonio Commanders game on Sunday. Marc’s OL Coach Jonathan Himelbauch is the Commanders OL coach under former CFL HC Mike Riley. We spoke briefly after the game. Jonathan was a big force in turning around the Argos Oline.

How was the atmosphere at the game?

1971GreyCup
03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
How was the atmosphere at the game?

Very enthusiastic! Several times the Commanders Oline were offside due to the fact they couldn’t hear the QB audibles.

Horrible weather forecast hurt the gate and resulted in a deadly tornado south of Birmingham. Lots of big corporate sponsors and tv and radio coverage. Quite a good selection of merchandise too.

Legions Field is large enough to fit a CFL Field. I think it was the home of the Birmingham Barracudas.

ArgoRavi
03-08-2019, 01:07 AM
Charles was drafted by Edmonton and I believe they have exclusive rights to him in the CFL. Obviously if they didn't want him he could demand to be released or traded, and they might or might not comply. He turns 31 before the season starts and (according to Wikipedia) weighs 323 pounds, so may just be too old and too heavy for the CFL at this point.

When I saw Charles during one of the AAF games I was watching, I thought that he would have a hard time playing in the CFL given his weight. I also think his age may make him less desirable at this point.

ArgoRavi
03-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Marc Trestman XFL Press Conference:

:https://www.pscp.tv/w/b07M9TFEWUVYVlpSa1ZtS2d8MXlOeGFPQlFPenFHaihiFWwJP7 FrpQoB5NggvSG3tkgi_SVHWQ5d-A5YnwV8?t=20m15s

I noticed James Wilder sent a congratulations note. Pretty sure he’d love to play in Tampa where it all started for him. Any agreement between the XFL and the CFL to honour each other’s contracts?

I am not convinced that the XFL will ever play a down. Even if they do, can someone give me any good reason why they will succeed where the old XFL and current AAF have failed?

ArgoRavi
03-08-2019, 01:10 AM
Very enthusiastic! Several times the Commanders Oline were offside due to the fact they couldn’t hear the QB audibles.

Interesting that 6000 fans can make that much noise in a stadium of that size.

1971GreyCup
03-08-2019, 03:40 AM
Interesting that 6000 fans can make that much noise in a stadium of that size.

Toronto fans have been known to make a lot of noise.

1971GreyCup
04-04-2019, 09:37 AM
https://3downnation.com/2019/04/04/catherine-raiche-leaving-toronto-argos-for-xfl-front-office-job/

Catherine Raiche leaving Toronto Argos for XFL front office job
By Justin Dunk April 4, 2019
Catherine Raiche is set to join the Tampa Bay XFL franchise in a front office role, per sources.

Marc Trestman was recently named head coach and general manager and he’s begun assembling a staff for the Tampa Bay team. Raiche and Trestman spent the 2018 season together with the Toronto Argonauts.

Raiche resigned from the Montreal Alouettes in December 2017 and accepted the director, football administration position with the Argos. She had been granted permission to pursue other opportunities in advance of leaving Montreal.

The University of Sherbrooke graduate was hired by Jim Popp, then-Als GM and current Argos general manager, as an unpaid intern in 2015. Following the season, Popp offered her a paid job as coordinator of football administration. She has a law degree and was admitted to the Quebec Bar Association in 2012. She practised corporate and tax law for three years at the law firm Gascon & Associates but left the firm to join the Alouettes.

When Kavis Reed replaced Popp as Alouettes general manager before the 2017 season, he promoted Raiche to assistant general manager responsible for daily operations, managing the salary cap, determining the value of players and handling contractual duties.

Raiche was the first female assistant general manager in the CFL since 1988 when Jo-Anne Polak held that position with the Ottawa Rough Riders. Polak it’s believed was the first woman to hold that job title in any pro sports franchise across North America. Raiche has gone on the record stating that her goal is to be a general manager one day.

Raiche made waves in the football world by rising to the assistant GM position in Montreal and now her pro football management career has led to the United States.

argonaut11xx
04-04-2019, 10:09 AM
https://3downnation.com/2019/04/04/catherine-raiche-leaving-toronto-argos-for-xfl-front-office-job/

Catherine Raiche leaving Toronto Argos for XFL front office job
By Justin Dunk April 4, 2019
Catherine Raiche is set to join the Tampa Bay XFL franchise in a front office role, per sources.

Marc Trestman was recently named head coach and general manager and he’s begun assembling a staff for the Tampa Bay team. Raiche and Trestman spent the 2018 season together with the Toronto Argonauts.

Raiche resigned from the Montreal Alouettes in December 2017 and accepted the director, football administration position with the Argos. She had been granted permission to pursue other opportunities in advance of leaving Montreal.

The University of Sherbrooke graduate was hired by Jim Popp, then-Als GM and current Argos general manager, as an unpaid intern in 2015. Following the season, Popp offered her a paid job as coordinator of football administration. She has a law degree and was admitted to the Quebec Bar Association in 2012. She practised corporate and tax law for three years at the law firm Gascon & Associates but left the firm to join the Alouettes.

When Kavis Reed replaced Popp as Alouettes general manager before the 2017 season, he promoted Raiche to assistant general manager responsible for daily operations, managing the salary cap, determining the value of players and handling contractual duties.

Raiche was the first female assistant general manager in the CFL since 1988 when Jo-Anne Polak held that position with the Ottawa Rough Riders. Polak it’s believed was the first woman to hold that job title in any pro sports franchise across North America. Raiche has gone on the record stating that her goal is to be a general manager one day.

Raiche made waves in the football world by rising to the assistant GM position in Montreal and now her pro football management career has led to the United States.

Im sure she is very good administrator, but YAWN, shes gone. Now maybe the Argo's can get somebody with a football background, and real football experience

paulwoods13
04-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Im sure she is very good administrator, but YAWN, shes gone. Now maybe the Argo's can get somebody with a football background, and real football experience

You don't have to have played or coached football to manage contracts and cap issues. And BTW she does have a football background -- she's been working in football since 2015.

Antwon
04-04-2019, 10:38 AM
You don't have to have played or coached football to manage contracts and cap issues. And BTW she does have a football background -- she's been working in football since 2015.

Popp brought her into Montreal. Then to Toronto because she is a good addition to the organization. I know Popp wouldn't stop anyone from advancing their career.
It appears Trestman has a axe to grind with the Argo's in luring people away. So if he's hiring people already, it means he's working for Tampa Bay. Would MLSE still have to pay him the full salary this year? I always thought if an organization was paying a fired coach, they couldn't work anywhere until the contract was up.

R.J
04-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Agreed, no real loss, and the previously added John Murphy will more than make up for it.

gilthethrill
04-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Agreed, no real loss, and the previously added John Murphy will more than make up for it.

Agreed. I just hope Tampa Bay of the XFL does not target the team chiropractor or team dentist. I also give Raiche credit for taking a risk...if it doesn't work out she will find employment elsewhere in her profession.

doubleblue
04-04-2019, 11:44 AM
I don't think we have to worry that Marc will hire away our Head Coach to be his Defensive Coordinator.

gilthethrill
04-04-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't think we have to worry that Marc will hire away our Head Coach to be his Defensive Coordinator.

Agreed. He hired Jerry Glannville to fill that role.

argonaut11xx
04-04-2019, 03:23 PM

An absolute UPGRADE for sure

Stevoman
04-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Popp brought her into Montreal. Then to Toronto because she is a good addition to the organization. I know Popp wouldn't stop anyone from advancing their career.
It appears Trestman has a axe to grind with the Argo's in luring people away. So if he's hiring people already, it means he's working for Tampa Bay. Would MLSE still have to pay him the full salary this year? I always thought if an organization was paying a fired coach, they couldn't work anywhere until the contract was up.

And another one taken by Trestman...some might call it networking while others might call it poaching. I really don't think he should be drawing any salary from MLSE this year.

paulwoods13
04-05-2019, 05:40 AM
An absolute UPGRADE for sure

You know this how, exactly?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8