PDA

View Full Version : Argos Town Hall 2019

R.J
02-26-2019, 04:36 PM
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/419a4a2db0b6526a856c41a88/images/e661313a-78fa-49e0-8b0d-7ab820e916f1.gif
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/419a4a2db0b6526a856c41a88/images/432ef6af-2779-4fe0-a16b-3b4e99e5b26d.gif
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/419a4a2db0b6526a856c41a88/images/68360b68-1206-4a24-bd02-f49ec7d3984e.gif

Will
02-26-2019, 04:45 PM
I won't be able to attend, but enjoy everybody!

Someone should be diligent in taking notes.

1971GreyCup
02-26-2019, 04:47 PM
It sounds like a fun evening. I’m sorry not to be able to attend.

Mightygoose
02-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Just got the email. Not sure if I can make it but my wife and son are off for March break.

Do we know if there will be a locker room sale as well like last time?

allantats
02-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Just got the email. Not sure if I can make it but my wife and son are off for March break.

Do we know if there will be a locker room sale as well like last time?

Was there a locker room sale at the last one?
I have emailed them to ask. I'll post back if I get a reply.

Mightygoose
02-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Was there a locker room sale at the last one?
I have emailed them to ask. I'll post back if I get a reply.

There was and it was immediately after the town hall.

This was from 2017 as there wasn't a town hall last year.

Let us know what the team says, hope there's one

john
02-27-2019, 06:06 PM
I know hogan will be too busy so perhaps some1 from the argos could video the downhill and put it up say 2 days later
that way fans who attend can have the privilege of seeing it live and the faithful who can't attend can see it too

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggoooooooossssssssss !

Shatto
02-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Again, short notice but we will be there. Looking forward to our coach's take on how he sees the team shaping up for the upcoming season.

BATKINSON001
03-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Has anyone been able to print their tickets yet? I tried last night but the print button wouldn't work.

Argonut1996
03-01-2019, 01:10 PM
I will be there and very much looking forward to It. Can't wait for the season to start.

Will
03-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Has anyone been able to print their tickets yet? I tried last night but the print button wouldn't work.

Maybe it's your computer.

Neely2005
03-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Try a different browser.

BATKINSON001
03-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Called the Argos, it's a problem on their end currently.

matthew
03-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Anyone know if you can submit questions in advance?

Mike Hogan
03-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Please submit them in advance. We won't be taking questions from the audience Friday night, but I will be asking questions submitted via email. We just want the pace of the evening to be brisk.

BATKINSON001
03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Please submit them in advance. We won't be taking questions from the audience Friday night, but I will be asking questions submitted via email. We just want the pace of the evening to be brisk. Are there other things planned afterwards, like a locker room sale perhaps?

Mike Hogan
03-06-2019, 04:53 PM
No locker room sale, but stay tuned.

matthew
03-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Thanks for reply Mike!

matthew
03-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Be great if new merch got launched at event WINK

Will
03-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Be great if new merch got launched at event WINK

Or new jerseys

matthew
03-07-2019, 04:46 PM
I know some on this thread here asking about locker room sales etc.

I want to point out one team doing a pretty awesome job keeping up interest in the team during the off season and thats the lions. I don't tweet myself but I love their twitter feed and it always seems to find a way to get in my face despite my lack of a twitter account.

1. Awesome amping up vids for player signings (Check out DC in BC and the one they produced minutes after signing Reilly).
2. Getting Claybooks to try skating and gondolas.
3. Launching new in-stadium concessions in a fun way.
4. And finally having awesome sales like this...

t's the BC Lions "Tidying Up Sale"!50% OFF ALL adidas merchandise! Jerseys, hats, shirts and MORE https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f64c-1f3fe.pngGET YOURS https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f449-1f3fb.png http://ow.ly/6PG430nW1Ko (https://t.co/h2OmtlJc05)

matthew
03-07-2019, 04:48 PM
I just felt they deserved some recognition in trying to combat what I think is some slight market-apathy out there. I will say my fall experience seeing the Argos game there last year was alot of fun with a great crowd and in-game promos.

Skilz
03-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Could someone kindly recap the Town Hall from last night?

Would be of great assistance to those who were unable to attend!

Thanks

BATKINSON001
03-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Could someone kindly recap the Town Hall from last night?

Would be of great assistance to those who were unable to attend!

Thanks

most of it is on the argos youtube. From the beginning to the end of randy's cfl 2.0 pitch.

AngeloV
03-09-2019, 10:31 AM
The only recap I will give is how appalling some of the “fans” in attendance were. Total lack of class with stupid comments during the commissioners speech. I had 4 really grumpy old men sitting behind me that just made me think how sad it is to be that bitter in life. I have never left an Argos related event early until last night. Some of us wanted to hear what the speakers had to say, not the words of some a-holes that apparently can’t handle their Bud lite.

paulwoods13
03-09-2019, 11:31 AM
The boorish behaviour of a dozen or so individuals, who insisted on heckling and yelling out questions and comments over the voices of those with the mic, was appalling. A small number of very inconsiderate, disrespectful individuals made it a long and at times annoying event.

There was not much in the way of real news although one interesting nugget from Popp: the Argos are planning a draft party of some sort.

Popp and Chamblin more or less indicated the team has moved on from Ricky Ray, altho Popp's quotes in a couple of stories yesterday suggest that he would be welcome to return but in a "different" role. I take that to mean as a backup, which presumably would mean at a backup's salary. I can't see Ray wanting to do that.

Chamblin said explicitly that Franklin is the No. 1 QB, and he has been in contact with him recently. Popp walked that back slightly to say it will be an open competition and everyone will have a crack at the job, but it's clear JF is currently No. 1 on the depth chart.

Popp said he has been called by a few teams looking to trade for one of the Argo QBs, but he's not interested in surrendering the depth the team has at this time. He spoke highly of Prukop as a leader and guy with a lot of potential. (Mind you, he said similar things about Fajardo two years ago.)

He said Picton was supposed to play in the preseason game at Guelph last year but for whatever reason, that didn't happen. (My suspicion is that Picton became a bit of a pawn in Trestman's distaste for Franklin vs. MBT.) Popp said he promised Picton he would bring him back to camp this year. I'm betting he gets into a PS game this time. That said, Popp again described Picton as a future coach so I'm not holding out a ton of hope that he will stick around as the third or fourth QB. (I'm also predicting MBT ends up in Hamilton, where he could become an experienced backup to his close friend Masoli. I see Prukop and Bridge duking it out for No. 2, with the loser of that competition becoming the short-yardage guy.)

Popp said he feels we have four starting-calibre offensive tackles, more than any other team, plus a couple of former draft picks who might yet develop. I personally don't see Sackey ever getting to that level, but Campbell might.

Skinny G
03-09-2019, 11:37 AM
The only recap I will give is how appalling some of the “fans” in attendance were. Total lack of class with stupid comments during the commissioners speech. I had 4 really grumpy old men sitting behind me that just made me think how sad it is to be that bitter in life. I have never left an Argos related event early until last night. Some of us wanted to hear what the speakers had to say, not the words of some a-holes that apparently can’t handle their Bud lite.

100% agree! We brought a couple of female friends that we wanted to introduce to the team and the league and they asked "are the fans always like this?". It was embarrassing. There is always a lot of talk about how classless fan groups of other teams are, well last night, some folks at the Town Hall were no better. When the "fans" are heckling the commissioner, GM, Coach, and Mike Hogan himself that's just sad. They ruined it for the rest of us that wanted to hear details on the team and the league. It got to the point when all the speakers at one point or another were visibly annoyed on stage with the amount of disrespectful interruptions there were. We also spoke to Damon Allen at the end of the night, and he was shocked at how the crowd was acting through the event.

1971GreyCup
03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
All game tickets have explicit warnings that bad behaviour won’t be tolerated. I was wondering if the Argos can take this experience and make changes so that this won’t happen again. I’m sorry to read that potential fans found this off putting. That’s the last thing this team needs on its road back to relevance.

paulwoods13
03-09-2019, 11:58 AM
There was no reason to think this would happen (because it hasn't in the past) and I'm sure there was no way to stop it short of ending the event, which would have been an even bigger fiasco. The speakers kept their cool and soldiered on. But for any future town halls, they should make clear that disruptions will not be tolerated altho again, how do you enforce it? They're not going to have bouncers ejecting people forcibly.

matthew
03-09-2019, 12:27 PM
For future events, you get you're one beer, a hand stamp signifying as such and that's it. What a piss up and embarrassment that was last night from what seemed to be surprisingly large cohort of attendees. .

I am not 100% on board with 2.0 and came to the event to hear the commish before deciding my opinion but it was certainly made difficult to do that with the boorish behaviour of some last night. Also disappointing was that by the time I left the event, not one sent in question was tabled. Maybe that is the way to get around some of the "open-mic" stuff for next year.

All game tickets have explicit warnings that bad behaviour won’t be tolerated. I was wondering if the Argos can take this experience and make changes so that this won’t happen again. I’m sorry to read that potential fans found this off putting. That’s the last thing this team needs on its road back to relevance.

Skinny G
03-09-2019, 12:56 PM
For future events, you get you're one beer, a hand stamp signifying as such and that's it. What a piss up and embarrassment that was last night from what seemed to be surprisingly large cohort of attendees. .

I am not 100% on board with 2.0 and came to the event to hear the commish before deciding my opinion but it was certainly made difficult to do that with the boorish behaviour of some last night. Also disappointing was that by the time I left the event, not one sent in question was tabled. Maybe that is the way to get around some of the "open-mic" stuff for next year.

I can't remember if the 1 alcoholic drink limit has been done in the past, but it's a good suggestion.

Also, regarding the questions, had sent in questions as well before hand as Mike had asked for, and as per the Town Hall emails, but they didn't go to those. Was surprised in that change in the Q&A process.

AngeloV
03-09-2019, 01:01 PM
There was no reason to think this would happen (because it hasn't in the past) and I'm sure there was no way to stop it short of ending the event, which would have been an even bigger fiasco. The speakers kept their cool and soldiered on. But for any future town halls, they should make clear that disruptions will not be tolerated altho again, how do you enforce it? They're not going to have bouncers ejecting people forcibly.

They also need to take questions for the speakers via email or text in advance of the event and stop having the audience ask their own questions. It really slows down the process as they take 5 minutes to ask a 10 second question. It would run way smoother IMO. Maybe even broadcasting the event live on their website, make it interacitive and take questions on line from those watching from home too.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw Skinny G also suggest the questions should be done in advance.

Skinny G
03-09-2019, 01:15 PM
They also need to take questions for the speakers via email or text in advance of the event and stop having the audience ask their own questions. It really slows down the process as they take 5 minutes to ask a 10 second question. It would run way smoother IMO. Maybe even broadcasting the event live on their website, make it interacitive and take questions on line from those watching from home too.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw Skinny G also suggest the questions should be done in advance.

Here's the thing, they did tell us to submit questions ahead of time. Mike posted on here for us to send him questions, and also in the Town Hall reminder, there was a link to submit questions so that things would move along better since it was a busy agenda. I know Mike did look at the questions, and was preparing for that. So not really sure what changed last minute, where they didn't read out the pre-submitted questions, but went with the open mic stuff again.

AngeloV
03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Here's the thing, they did tell us to submit questions ahead of time. Mike posted on here for us to send him questions, and also in the Town Hall reminder, there was a link to submit questions so that things would move along better since it was a busy agenda. I know Mike did look at the questions, and was preparing for that. So not really sure what changed last minute, where they didn't read out the pre-submitted questions, but went with the open mic stuff again.

interesting. That was a bad call on their part. Open mic system takes way too long to go through each individual question and answer.

matthew
03-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Everyone is connected these days so no real need for open mic.

So here is what I would do:

2 weeks before event:

Fans get a weeks window to submit max 3 questions per email id or STH number under categories the team or the league wish feedback on.
The Argos compile the questions, categorize and post on the website where fans get 4 days to log on and vote for the TOP 20 what have you. This encourages site visits and engagement with fans.
Those are the ones that get asked
Result:

Everyone had a chance to have their voice heard (wanna ask about a team in Corner Brook, NL go for it).
Fans get to shape the destiny and theme of a "fan" event in a compelling way (by not voting for a question about a team in Corner Book)
Attendance turnout is better as I can know in advance a question I am interested in hearing the answer to will possibly be made at the event making it worth while.
The Argos and league can then cater their addresses based on the feedback of the fans and add team and league agenda items to close any gaps.
In this way, the team and the league, thanks to putting up the categories at the outset, know in advance that at the event they will get some feedback on important issues to them.

I think the mood last night was clear that we all wanted more time with Randy and answers on larger issues. Some people were pretty vocal about that!

QUOTE=Skinny G;138661]I can't remember if the 1 alcoholic drink limit has been done in the past, but it's a good suggestion.

Also, regarding the questions, had sent in questions as well before hand as Mike had asked for, and as per the Town Hall emails, but they didn't go to those. Was surprised in that change in the Q&A process.[/QUOTE]

matthew
03-09-2019, 01:45 PM
I will also say this. The team has some culpability for last night too. Case in point the "where's the marketing question".

I have never been at a town hall where the team made a business plan presentation for that particular year. Aren't we a vital element to their business?

If the team had Mike walk us through a 5 min powerrpoint on all the promos, ads, marketing thrusts they were going to do throughout the year, this totally diffuses this question.

The Town Hall should be:

A love fest yes. The opening minutes where everyone shook hand: that was fun and a warm way to open the night after a long off-season's hibernation.
A chance to get to know the players & coaches.

But it should also be a business meeting.

Given that we're not getting 30K to a game like SSK, its a fact of life that the Argo fan base has to worry about "business" things.

The team should be treating us like investors (because that is what we are too) and making a presentation to us on marketing plans, social media strategies, community works, etc. We can then find our own ways to help the team in these areas and speak capably and powerfully to the objectives of the team for that year.

Argo57
03-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Very disappointing to hear TBH, I couldn’t attend (glad I didn’t as it turns out).
Some people just don’t get it it seems.....pretty sad.
Watched this morning on YouTube, Hogan did a great job as host!
Really liked listening to Popp and Chamblin who really get it, I have a much better feeling heading into 2019 with all the changes that have occurred.

Shatto
03-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Some random thoughts and personal observations from last night:

.The Argo organization did an excellent job in organizing the event for us fans. Nice to see a good crowd.

.Hogan did an excellent job at being both a cheerleader for the team and managing the questions for different speakers. He even did a reasonably good job with the rather boorish and obnoxious individuals in the audience, who insisted on ruining it for the rest of us.

.Still undecided if Ambrosie is a brilliant visionary or a mistaken snake oil salesman. The hype reminds me too much of the hype we saw, before the ill advised expansion into the States. But give him his due--he dreams big. Would have like to have heard more about the situation in Halifax, though he did state the stadium issue has improved a little in the last two weeks.

.Popp was both candid and tactful in his addressing the Ball issue. Ball may or not be back but he is definitely not a major part of their plans at this time. He was also open about the reasons why Lemon was traded last year. He also spoke indirectly about the difficulties the uncertainty of the cap, is giving the general managers.

.Aside from the expected accolades for Walker and Wilder, there were complimentary things said about Antigha, Awe, Johnson and somewhat surprisingly Timmis. Felt his comments on Sutton were a little guarded. Popp said Sutton gives them depth at the position but it almost sounded a little bit of being damned by faint praise.

.Chamblin was high on Lemmon. When referencing Lemmon's 11 sacks last year, Chamblin implied Lemmon should be looking at 20 this year!!

.When talking about free agent singings, Popp was very high on what Rainey brings to the team. With Rainey and Fogg, they are hoping to shorten the field and make it easier for Franklin to achieve success. Missed some of what Popp said about Bridge because of the yelling from some members of the audience. (idiots) However it did seem they are impressed with his physical tools. The omission of comments about BTM appears to say a lot about his chances of making the team.

.All in all, a very informative night ---now if we can only do something about the intrusive and boorish behaviour demonstrated by a small but vocal group.

Neely2005
03-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Wow that's really disappointing, definitely sucks to hear that. The only one of these Townhalls that I've been able to attend was the one after they hired Trestman and Popp, that one was well run and enjoyable. As usual it sounds like a few idiots ruined it for everyone else.

AngeloV
03-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Wow that's really disappointing, definitely sucks to hear that. The only one of these Townhalls that I've been able to attend was the one after they hired Trestman and Popp, that one was well run and enjoyable. As usual it sounds like a few idiots ruined it for everyone else.

Yeah, this was also run well by the team, just the few idiots really stood out.

Argonut1996
03-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately MLSE was not represented at the meeting and no one could answer the question, why since the Argos now share BMO field with TFC that they cannot have a permanent Legends Wall similar to TFC, showing the all time Argos and the retired jerseys. All we see are banners raised game day, which also show the Grey Cup wins. I find this disgraceful.

AngeloV
03-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately MLSE was not represented at the meeting and no one could answer the question, why since the Argos now share BMO field with TFC that they cannot have a permanent Legends Wall similar to TFC, showing the all time Argos and the retired jerseys. All we see are banners raised game day, which also show the Grey Cup wins. I find this disgraceful.

If less people went to this event so angry, I think we all would have enjoyed the evening a lot more. It's so obvious to me that the night was to discuss the football side of the Argos and not the business side. It was supposed to be excitement about the new coach, the new FA signings and people wanted to use this night to air their grievances? Give me a break.

Shatto
03-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Argonut1996's question has been asked several times. No satisfactory answer has ever been given. Makes us feel like 2nd class citizens

1971GreyCup
03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a question that would have been answered if sent to Mike Hogan prior to the event?

gilthethrill
03-11-2019, 10:22 AM
I finally got around to watching the Town Hall on YouTube. Looked like a good sized crowd in attendance. While I could certainly hear fans yelling out comments out of turn, what were they griping about?

paulwoods13
03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
I finally got around to watching the Town Hall on YouTube. Looked like a good sized crowd in attendance. While I could certainly hear fans yelling out comments out of turn, what were they griping about?

About 10 different things, it seemed. Marcus Ball. Mexican players. Tailgate. and on and on.

paulwoods13
03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Argonut1996's question has been asked several times. No satisfactory answer has ever been given. Makes us feel like 2nd class citizens

And yet, why do people seem to assume that because something doesn't exist now, it will never exist? I'm fairly sure TFC, which has something like a 10-year head start on us in BMO, did not always have a wall of honour. I'd be willing to bet the Argos will have something similar in the near future, and it won't be because a few fans griped about it online but because MLSE realizes it's both appropriate and necessary.

DoubleBlue_Red
03-11-2019, 02:10 PM
And yet, why do people seem to assume that because something doesn't exist now, it will never exist? I'm fairly sure TFC, which has something like a 10-year head start on us in BMO, did not always have a wall of honour. I'd be willing to bet the Argos will have something similar in the near future, and it won't be because a few fans griped about it online but because MLSE realizes it's both appropriate and necessary.

Quite right. The "Wall of Honour" was only unveiled in 2016, the year that the Argos took up tenancy at BMO and also the same year the renovations were completed on the roof.

AngeloV
03-11-2019, 04:33 PM

I was going to say the same thing Paul. Fact is, there is a huge Argos Logo which is visible from the Gardiner on the south west side of the stadium, just like there is a huge TFC logo on the south east side. As I said, I don't get why people would go to what should have been a fun event in which we get to chat to some players past and present as well as coach and GM in such an angry mood. Must really suck to be so miserable all the time.

Shatto
03-11-2019, 07:33 PM
It is comforting to know that some have confidence that MLSE will provide Argo fans a permanent Legends wall at BMO, when they realize "it's appropriate and necessary". Since this is the team's 4th year at the city owned facility, trust we don't have to wait another 4 years before MLSE comes to that realization. Meanwhile, those who are hoping for equitable and equal status for our team; hopefully, will feel free to continue to "gripe" (though "complain" might have been a less loaded word), until that occurs.

R.J
03-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Quite right. The "Wall of Honour" was only unveiled in 2016, the year that the Argos took up tenancy at BMO and also the same year the renovations were completed on the roof.
BMO is due for another renovation in a few years, so who knows what they end up doing. West side and North end upgrades is the only thing I've heard at this point.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8