View Full Version : CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie wants two ‘global’ roster spots: sources

R.J
03-17-2019, 11:40 AM
https://3downnation.com/2019/03/17/cfl-commissioner-randy-ambrosie-wants-two-global-roster-spots-sources/

This is the idea that I'm completely against, and Ambrosie has been hinting at this one for a while now.

Shatto
03-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Perhaps teams can pay for these "global" players with the money they save through reducing the number of Canadian starters by two. Can see why Ambrosie would want this but why would the players' association agree to it--what are they getting in return?

Neely2005
03-17-2019, 01:15 PM
And now we know why they want to lower the number of Canadians.

paulwoods13
03-17-2019, 02:56 PM
And again, this is "per sources," with no indication of how credible the sources might be, or whether/why they are in position to know what's being proposed at the table. Even though it would not be surprising to discover the league wants this (in light of what RA has said about CFL 2.0), I'll wait either for confirmation or until an established journalist with a track record of breaking stories from reliable sources reports something similar before pondering the implications.

OV Argo
03-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Can't wait for this to happen; and 350 new CFL fans in Mexico and 150 in Germany are going to make such a huge difference in the CFL's fortunes. TV #s will explode and revenue for the league will go thru the roof.

Nothing wrong with some sort of effort to promote the CFL in other places (and maybe give some Canadian players a chance to play AMERICAN football abroad) but if Ambrosie actually thinks this "vision" is going to be a big game changer for the CFL he is a deluded clown; it's more like pie in the sky fantasy to think this is going to make the CFL more popular.

OTOH

- get that 10th team in Atlantic Canada in place

- get a much better exposure and more lucrative TV presentation deal (sorry, TSN alone is not good enough) in place and reach out for better media coverage everywhere (on-line / internet)

- re-patriate the CFL by increasing Canadian content on rosters (and start hyping the hell out of top Canadian talent at all positions) AND by increasing Canadian decision making (GMs, coaches) in the league; would also be nice to get some smart, Canadian football savvy owners in place - the prospect of Eric Lapointe being involved in taking over from the clowns in Montreal is very promising; get rid of that old, cheap dinosaur Braley in BC next

These are things that COULD re-establish the CFL to former levels of respect and following in Canada.

argolio
03-18-2019, 12:37 AM
What other media outlet would be willing to televise every game for considerably more money? I don't see one.

SkalbaniasGhost
03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
What other media outlet would be willing to televise every game for considerably more money? I don't see one.

https://watch.dazn.com/en-CA/sports/ (https://watch.dazn.com/en-CA/sports/)

R.J
03-18-2019, 02:12 PM
https://watch.dazn.com/en-CA/sports/ (https://watch.dazn.com/en-CA/sports/)
dazn isn't traditional tv though, and until tradition tv completely dies, the CFL (just like any other League) still needs a good option that's willing to pay well.

OV Argo
03-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Don't know. You're saying absolutely no other TV broadcaster has any interest in showing CFL games - so the CFL is hooped and stuck with whatever TSN brings - quality of dollar wise - as the exclusive broadcaster ?

Lots of people have cut the cable cord and will go with at least some programming they can get for free over the air - TSN brings ZERO CFL games to those types. Might be hard to talk the NFL worshipping wannabes at CTV to add the CFL, but impossible? Impossible for anybody else to come into play ?

argolio
03-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Cord-cutters are more likely to get their sports from the internet than over-the-air. The NFL aside (and like it or not it's incredibly lucrative), Canadian and U.S. networks have little interest interrupting prime-time schedules for sports. CBC's original programming is mostly done once the NHL playoffs start. It's also rerun season when the NBA and NHL finals air on American networks. All previous playoff rounds are on cable.

Sportsnet would never give more attention to the CFL than the Jays. CBC may be interested in a limited package, but that would never equal TSN money. And if TSN was no longer guaranteed exclusivity, it's possible they would just walk. Let's not forget that the relationship with TSN helped stabilize CFL economics after the craziness of the late 80s and 90s.

With how fast technology is moving, could be a different deal in 10-20 years, but right now I'd say TSN is easily the best option.

Stevoman
03-19-2019, 01:01 AM
I remember back in the early 90's when both CBC and Global were airing the Grey Cup game (it might've only happened once but I distinctly remember it). I think some games need to be shown on either CTV, CBC, or Global. It would be ideal for one weekly game and all playoff games to be on another platform than just TSN.

doubleblue
03-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Cord-cutters are more likely to get their sports from the internet than over-the-air. The NFL aside (and like it or not it's incredibly lucrative), Canadian and U.S. networks have little interest interrupting prime-time schedules for sports. CBC's original programming is mostly done once the NHL playoffs start. It's also rerun season when the NBA and NHL finals air on American networks. All previous playoff rounds are on cable.

Sportsnet would never give more attention to the CFL than the Jays. CBC may be interested in a limited package, but that would never equal TSN money. And if TSN was no longer guaranteed exclusivity, it's possible they would just walk. Let's not forget that the relationship with TSN helped stabilize CFL economics after the craziness of the late 80s and 90s.

With how fast technology is moving, could be a different deal in 10-20 years, but right now I'd say TSN is easily the best option.

I agree. TSN is not going to increase what they are paying now, which is very likely why Randy and the BOG are looking for other revenue.
But TSN could sell a game of the week to CBC or Gobal similiar to what Sportsnet does with the Leafs to TSN. Maybe there's no interest or TSN is asking too much.

AngeloV
03-19-2019, 10:31 AM
I remember back in the early 90's when both CBC and Global were airing the Grey Cup game (it might've only happened once but I distinctly remember it). I think some games need to be shown on either CTV, CBC, or Global. It would be ideal for one weekly game and all playoff games to be on another platform than just TSN.

I don't believe Global has ever had CFL football unless one of their affiliates was part of the Canadian Football Network which was formed when CTV got out of the business of CFL in 1987. Up until 1986, the GC would be broadcast on both CBC and CTV as a simulcast with CTV calling the first half and CBC the 2nd. From 1987-90 both CBC and the CFN would carry the Grey Cup, but each would have their own production, with Dave Hodge calling the game on the CFN and Don Whitman on CBC. Hamilton CHCH was the CFN affiliated channel in our region.

Neely2005
03-19-2019, 10:33 AM
I agree. TSN is not going to increase what they are paying now, which is very likely why Randy and the BOG are looking for other revenue.
But TSN could sell a game of the week to CBC or Gobal similiar to what Sportsnet does with the Leafs to TSN. Maybe there's no interest or TSN is asking too much.

In regards to the leafs that's not the same thing. Rogers has the National NHL Rights for Canada. TSN has the Local Rights to some leafs games. TSN also has the Local Rights to some Senators games, and they pay more for those Local Senators Rights than they do for the entire National CFL Rights.

paulwoods13
03-19-2019, 11:05 AM

I think it's guaranteed that the landscape will be completely different in 10 years, much less 20, and there is an excellent chance that the traditional TV networks will not be primary rights-holders by the time the CFL's current contract expires.

doubleblue
03-19-2019, 01:58 PM
In regards to the leafs that's not the same thing. Rogers has the National NHL Rights for Canada. TSN has the Local Rights to some leafs games. TSN also has the Local Rights to some Senators games, and they pay more for those Local Senators Rights than they do for the entire National CFL Rights.

Ok thanks. I didn't know exactly how that worked. I remember at the time Rogers made the NHL deal, TSN seem to think they were going to be shut out of Leaf games.
But getting back to the CFL. It would be nice to have the CBC or Global have some games even if just for a change of commentators.

Neely2005
03-19-2019, 02:17 PM
I think it's guaranteed that the landscape will be completely different in 10 years, much less 20, and there is an excellent chance that the traditional TV networks will not be primary rights-holders by the time the CFL's current contract expires.

Doesn't the current Canadian deal expire in 2 years?

paulwoods13
03-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Doesn't the current Canadian deal expire in 2 years?

Something like that. And I stand by my prediction. The media landscape is undergoing change at unprecedented rate and speed. As evidenced by the recent deal moving all EPL games to DAZN in Canada, and the botched attempt to do the same for NFL Sunday Ticket two years ago. Will Bell be willing to pony up big $ for CFL rights for any length of time, when it is steadily losing subscribers to cord-cutting, and traditional TV viewing is eroding? I wouldn't bet a lot on it happening under the old "bid for TV rights" model.

R.J
03-19-2019, 07:29 PM
The CFL's tv deal with TSN and RDS runs through 2021.

Neely2005
03-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Something like that. And I stand by my prediction. The media landscape is undergoing change at unprecedented rate and speed. As evidenced by the recent deal moving all EPL games to DAZN in Canada, and the botched attempt to do the same for NFL Sunday Ticket two years ago. Will Bell be willing to pony up big $ for CFL rights for any length of time, when it is steadily losing subscribers to cord-cutting, and traditional TV viewing is eroding? I wouldn't bet a lot on it happening under the old "bid for TV rights" model.

Well TSN did finally launch a Streaming Only Service and Sportsnet has had one for a while now. Rogers is selling their IP TV Service (Ignite TV) now too and it's significantly cheaper than their Traditional Cable Service.

Neely2005
03-20-2019, 10:32 AM
The CFL's tv deal with TSN and RDS runs through 2021.

Thank you. I thought it expired somewhere around then.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8