PDA

View Full Version : Potential Argo Hall of Famers

Mike Hogan
03-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Here's an article to generate a little off-season discussion.

There are others I could have written about, but the article would have been lonnnnnng.

Enjoy!

https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/03/30/hogan-making-case/?fbclid=IwAR3tIiqYZ137z88Kqv7CCDhuK7ouQTeFPpRmnXA4 w_9PpIMWiZ7Q1nKBc0U

paulwoods13
03-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Great article Hoagie. I predict this is the year Greer finally goes into the Hall. Can't argue with any of the guys you wrote about it and I'd add to that list Carl Brazley and Chris Schultz. Kelvin Pruenster won't get into the Hall but a solid case could be made for him on the alltime Argo honor roll. He started at OT for a decade, something we have not seen before or since.

Argo57
03-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Great article Hoagie. I predict this is the year Greer finally goes into the Hall. Can't argue with any of the guys you wrote about it and I'd add to that list Carl Brazley and Chris Schultz. Kelvin Pruenster won't get into the Hall but a solid case could be made for him on the alltime Argo honor roll. He started at OT for a decade, something we have not seen before or since.

Dead on with your summary Paul.
Another player I’d add to this discussion is OLB Don Moen who played at a very high level during his 13 year career largely without injury.

OV Argo
03-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Another player I’d add to this discussion is OLB Don Moen who played at a very high level during his 13 year career largely without injury.

Moen for sure ! - a very solid LB who was under-rated; and the iron man ability is not recognized enough. 13 seasons all at a high level and GC wins.

paulwoods13
03-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Moen was a great and totally deserving of being an all-time Argo, but I don't think he was ever named to a division all-star team much less the CFL all-star team. (CORRECTION: East all-star once, in 1988.) IMO that would outweigh longevity and consistent production in the minds of the voters. Brazley was an East all-star five times, a CFL all-star once and was defensive MVP of the 1983 Grey Cup, in a career spanning 13 CFL seasons. That type of recognition should factor into Hall selection IMO.

Another guy I neglected to mention earlier is Reggie Pleasant. Eleven CFL seasons, 47 interceptions with the Argos (still the team record) including three years with nine INTs. May not have been recognized often enough as an all-star (three East, one CFL), but still worth considering IMO.

Will
04-02-2019, 04:55 PM
I agree with both Brazley and Pleasant.

Pleasant would've suffered a bit (with all-star nods) because he was in a division with guys like Less Browne and some of Winnipeg's ball-hawks.

The Argos had a very good defence in that era in their own right, but it was what Winnipeg was known for and is the reason why they won the 1988 and 1990 Grey Cups.

ArgofanIan
04-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Don Moen seemed like he was a real good player for long time. I liked what the ARGO's did a fews years back where they would pay tribute to an argo player from the past during the game. Getting off topic like I always do, I wish Leo Cahill's name was up with the others who have been retired.

argolio
04-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Moen was a great and totally deserving of being an all-time Argo, but I don't think he was ever named to a division all-star team much less the CFL all-star team. (CORRECTION: East all-star once, in 1988.) IMO that would outweigh longevity and consistent production in the minds of the voters. Brazley was an East all-star five times, a CFL all-star once and was defensive MVP of the 1983 Grey Cup, in a career spanning 13 CFL seasons. That type of recognition should factor into Hall selection IMO.

Another guy I neglected to mention earlier is Reggie Pleasant. Eleven CFL seasons, 47 interceptions with the Argos (still the team record) including three years with nine INTs. May not have been recognized often enough as an all-star (three East, one CFL), but still worth considering IMO.Brazley for sure.

Pleasant was so underrated, which will probably keep him out.

Moen was also underrated, so he'll suffer the same fate.

mchesher03
04-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Nice little read Hoagie - I had forgotten what a treat it used to be watching Byron Parker pick off passes.

ArgoZ
04-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Nice little read Hoagie - I had forgotten what a treat it used to be watching Byron Parker pick off passes.

I can recall quite a few times at the Dome, with the game on the line and us on our feet, Byron picking one off (sometimes for a TD) to seal the win! My favourite play in football!

paulwoods13
04-23-2019, 07:36 AM
This year's inductees get announced tomorrow (Wednesday). I expect Greer and Fernandez to be part of the Class of 2019.

paulwoods13
04-24-2019, 01:49 PM
As noted in a separate thread, Greer has finally -- finally -- gone in, alongside Fernandez which is appropriate as they were the two most dominant receivers of the early 1980s, and the two best receivers I've ever seen. David Williams is a bit of a surprise induction -- he had one amazing season with B.C. and a few very good years, but I would not necessarily have seen him as Hall-worthy. But congrats to him nonetheless, along with Jon Cornish and Ernie Pitts among the player inductees.

AngeloV
04-24-2019, 03:11 PM
As noted in a separate thread, Greer has finally -- finally -- gone in, alongside Fernandez which is appropriate as they were the two most dominant receivers of the early 1980s, and the two best receivers I've ever seen. David Williams is a bit of a surprise induction -- he had one amazing season with B.C. and a few very good years, but I would not necessarily have seen him as Hall-worthy. But congrats to him nonetheless, along with Jon Cornish and Ernie Pitts among the player inductees.

David Williams is a huge surprise to me. No denying his ability, but I don't see a guy that wore out so many welcomes within the league as HOFer. Matt Dunnigan must have called in a favour. He loved Williams.

Will
04-27-2019, 10:02 AM
The induction of Williams definitely opens the door for a posthumous induction for Darrell K. Smith someday.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8