PDA

View Full Version : Ticats cuts?

OV Argo
05-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Read they have released vet DE Justin Cappicotti; why not sign this guy? - good pass rusher + very good against the run IMO (and better than Davis or Beltre the Argos trotted out last season - regardless of "passport"); also noted the Lions have recently released vet Canadian DE David Menard - lots of CFL experience and guy is strong as a bull and has a motor - always been effective in limited playing time in BC. Sign one of those guys and with Robbie Smith or Evan Foster as back-ups/ rotation guys and they could easily roll with a Canadian at one DE position - very doubtful Cap or Menard command big buck$? Respect for Canadian talent at certain American preferred positions or getting rid of solid Canadian talent/prospects remains a CFL issue with a lot of teams IMO (Mr. Ed in BC released former 1st rounder Charles Vaillancourt (why is some CFL team not jumping all over signing this guy - one of the best CFL draft OG resumes in years or decades IMO - unless he is injury damaged goods?) + receiver Danny Vandervoort). I get that the Ticats would want to move on and save some buck$ when they have some young Canadian DEs they have drafted recently and who they might think are ready to step-up - maybe they will just be back-ups though if they want to roll with 2 import DEs and they did sign that Stamps FA import DE (name escapes me now) who is really good to go with another good one in Adrian Tracey. Argos have S. Lemon, and ... ?

Ticats also cut import RB Alex Green who was their main starter last season - pretty solid back, but nothing special IMO; - more $M$ savings? And could they be thinking of going NI at tailback with Thomas-Erlington (flashed lots of talent last season) + draft pick Maleek Irons (big back with speed and very nice Div I resume) ?

jerrym
05-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Sounds like Justin Cappicotti was a salary cut. He was an Eastern All-Star in 2015 and 29 so he would be worth bringing to TC if the Argos can get him at a decent salary.

Shatto
05-06-2019, 11:44 PM
It looks as if the Argos are hoping Antigha will be one of their DE's (along with Lemon). His record over the past two years of 51 DT's and 7 sacks is not as good as Cappicotti's 59 DT's and 10 sacks. Admittedly, Antigha is 3 years younger but Cappicotti is still on the sunny side of 30. So on the whole, it would seem that Cappicotti could be an interesting pick up. Since the defensive line players are normally rotated during games, he could be a valuable addition to the rotation strategy. Also as an experienced Canadian lineman, he could be a useful mentor to players like Smith.

If his contract demands are not too burdensome, let's hope the team at least looks into the possibility of signing him.

Wobbler
05-07-2019, 12:19 AM
Cappicotti hasn't been noteworthy since leaving Ottawa, IMO, and I suspect we gave Richards a fair bit of money.

I hope Smith doesn't mind being mentored by American players. ;)

Bleeds Double Blue
05-07-2019, 08:57 AM
I have a question for the more contractually savvy members of this forum. I saw in the Ti-Cat article that one of the reasons for this mass exodus was that teams have to be down to 75 players by whatever date. Are players on their injury list exempt or included in the 75? For example someone like Ricky Ray. Yeah I know he is a free agent but I was thinking of a player that had a significant injury such as that. Just curious.

I also saw that Terence Plummer was one of the guys released. I always liked him in double blue.

AngeloV
05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
It looks as if the Argos are hoping Antigha will be one of their DE's (along with Lemon). His record over the past two years of 51 DT's and 7 sacks is not as good as Cappicotti's 59 DT's and 10 sacks. Admittedly, Antigha is 3 years younger but Cappicotti is still on the sunny side of 30. So on the whole, it would seem that Cappicotti could be an interesting pick up. Since the defensive line players are normally rotated during games, he could be a valuable addition to the rotation strategy. Also as an experienced Canadian lineman, he could be a useful mentor to players like Smith.

If his contract demands are not too burdensome, let's hope the team at least looks into the possibility of signing him.

Comparing Antigha's sack total to Capicotti's is very misleading. Antigha lined up at LB and safety quite a bit in the Chris Jones scheme. Having said that, if the price is right, I'd bring in Capicotti.

mchesher03
05-07-2019, 12:59 PM
what about Alex Green? That one was interesting to me - salary dump i'm guessing.

gilthethrill
05-08-2019, 03:52 PM
what about Alex Green? That one was interesting to me - salary dump i'm guessing.

Spent too much time on IR.

KCargosfan
05-09-2019, 01:20 AM

31-year-old import RB.

I doubt he was making significant money, but his age and nationality make him easily replaceable.

Jon Gonzo
05-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Dylan Wynn is a Ti-Cat. Just signed him

7dj83r8f78t4alf8