PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp

Neely2005
05-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Some strong words from Frank Z:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/changing-faces-in-argoland-as-training-camp-kicks-off

Neely2005
05-19-2019, 04:14 PM
TC Schedule:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/05/16/2019-training-camp-schedule-released/

Stevoman
05-19-2019, 04:48 PM

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/changing-faces-in-argoland-as-training-camp-kicks-off

Especially the part where he gives full credit for the 2017 Grey Cup to Chamblin!

Stevoman
05-19-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm so happy to have Argos football back. I love this team! I'm 41 and have been following this team closely since I was 7 years old. No other sports team has captured my heart quite like the Argos and I love the clean slate of a new season. I'm most looking forward to seeing a more aggressive team this year across the board!

Argo57
05-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Although some of his narrative is faulty this is actually a pretty fair assessment by Zicarelli, lots of question marks heading into 2019.
I’m cautiously optimistic!

AngeloV
05-19-2019, 07:39 PM

As usual, Frank shows that if he isn't covering the team for a specific assignment, he pays no attention. First paragraph:

The first, and arguably most important, thing one must know about the Toronto Argonauts heading into training camp involves the quarterback position and how no one has been anointed as the starter.

Don't know how many times I have heard coach Chamblin say that Franklin is the starter.

And another famous Frank line:

In three-down football, teams are judged by their play at quarterback. And with Ray officially out of the picture after missing most of last season, the Argos clearly need to identify a starting QB and establish a pecking order based on performance and not contractual obligations.

I guess he thinks people reading articles on a CFL team need to be reminded in every article he writes that Canadian football only has 3 downs.

He must work cheap.

gilthethrill
05-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Yes AV....Frank's line about 3 down football has gotten old....so so old.

OV Argo
05-19-2019, 09:26 PM
As usual, Frank shows that if he isn't covering the team for a specific assignment, he pays no attention. First paragraph:

Don't know how many times I have heard coach Chamblin say that Franklin is the starter.

And another famous Frank line:

I guess he thinks people reading articles on a CFL team need to be reminded in every article he writes that Canadian football only has 3 downs.

He must work cheap.

Well AV, at least you didn't call him "clueless" ;o)

No wonder I've said (repeatedly ? - hell, not me ;o)) that I'd much rather hear and have respect for, CFL commentary on fan sites like this, vs. the professional "journalists" who get paid to cover the CFL

AngeloV
05-19-2019, 10:30 PM
Well AV, at least you didn't call him "clueless" ;o)

No wonder I've said (repeatedly ? - hell, not me ;o)) that I'd much rather hear and have respect for, CFL commentary on fan sites like this, vs. the professional "journalists" who get paid to cover the CFL

I have respect for a lot of journalists that cover football. Frank just isn’t one of them.

Stevoman
05-20-2019, 12:12 AM
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/franklin-ready-to-take-on-the-responsibilities-that-come-with-being-argos-starting-qb

Franklin showing leadership off the field in giving up #2 to Chris Rainey. It sounds like this is Franklin's opportunity to be the legitimate number one and I think he will do very well with it.

AngeloV
05-20-2019, 08:37 AM
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/franklin-ready-to-take-on-the-responsibilities-that-come-with-being-argos-starting-qb

Franklin showing leadership off the field in giving up #2 to Chris Rainey. It sounds like this is Franklin's opportunity to be the legitimate number one and I think he will do very well with it.

I agree. I’ll say it again, he played 2 very good games against Edmonton, then 2 rough games against Winnipeg. I think the entire team was badly overmatched against the Bombers and to scapegoat him was just plain BS.

Shatto
05-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Not too much to report from today's camp. Most of the time was spent on positional drills. Here are some personal observations:
Walker, Green, Edwards and Wilder spent a fair amount of time, working as a group, with the QB's. It is obvious they are going to be the centre piece of the offense. To be expected really. They all looked sharp.

.Awe worked quite a bit at MLB. He certainly moves smoothly and quickly.

.Striker worked with the LB's. It looked as if he lined up at MLB during the drills. He moved very well in the downfield punt coverage drills.

.Freddie Bishop was not on the field. Not really expected, since he only just signed.

.Onyeka showed no sign of last year's injury. He was very mobile and was moving well.

.Antigha looked quick and smooth. For a big man he moves with the speed and mobility of a DB

The above are just a few observations (for what they are worth). With so many players on the field it is easy to miss things, however. Overall it looked like a good start to camp. I have commitments over the next few days, so will not be at camp. Look forward to any comments from others, who will be able to be there.

dmont
05-21-2019, 12:31 AM
Not too much to report from today's camp. Most of the time was spent on positional drills. Here are some personal observations:
Walker, Green, Edwards and Wilder spent a fair amount of time, working as a group, with the QB's. It is obvious they are going to be the centre piece of the offense. To be expected really. They all looked sharp.

.Striker worked with the LB's. It looked as if he lined up at MLB during the drills. He moved very well in the downfield punt coverage drills.

.Freddie Bishop was not on the field. Not really expected, since he only just signed.

.Onyeka showed no sign of last year's injury. He was very mobile and was moving well.

.Antigha looked quick and smooth. For a big man he moves with the speed and mobility of a DB

The above are just a few observations (for what they are worth). With so many players on the field it is easy to miss things, however. Overall it looked like a good start to camp. I have commitments over the next few days, so will not be at camp. Look forward to any comments from others, who will be able to be there.

These reports are much appreciated! Looking forward to reading more.

KCargosfan
05-21-2019, 12:55 AM
I have respect for a lot of journalists that cover football. Frank just isn’t one of them.

What about quasi-journalists who covered minor league hockey who may or may not have had an article appear in a Toronto newspaper? haha

Jon Gonzo
05-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Argo fans tend to be old and cranky. Marketing challenge 101.

Like it or not, it is at least 'something.'

I don't discourage CFL news coming from Toronto. Trust me, it can change, and it may when Frank Z. moves along.

Result = less news and opinion. That is bad for all of us. I have heard these kinds of conversations about coverage, and they occur often in this day and age.

Argo coverage is hanging on by a thread, and I expect that it will be bloggers that will be picking up any slack once the beat reporters move on to more popular events.

Appreciate Shatto's report from TC, and I come here to read that kind of input as an out of town fan.

It was no surprise to me that Frank Z was no fan of Trestman's. I sat beside him in the Press Box in Ottawa that night that Marc was let go. He was hard on him and it sounded to me like the dysfunction in Toronto was colossal. It was a giant cluster-f&&k.

I give credit to Trestman for an amazing and rewarding Grey Cup year. Trestman is an inspiration to many athletes, but he lost the room because of his co-ordinators and an onslaught of misfortune. But it's on him. He lost the room, and he is not getting any younger.

Chamblin was the ideal replacement, and these guys will play with urgency, or they won't be around.

AngeloV
05-21-2019, 11:00 AM
What about quasi-journalists who covered minor league hockey who may or may not have had an article appear in a Toronto newspaper? haha

I respect you bro. LOL!!

Will
05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
We may have a problem with the way that Frank Ziccarelli covers the team, but as Lori pointed out to me yesterday he seems to be the only one of a few who is.

Will
05-21-2019, 04:14 PM

There was someone jogging on the sidelines. I don't know if that was Bishop, but FWIW the Argos haven't officially announced the signing yet.

CFLfan
05-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Did anyone see the new kicker, the YouTube sensation with millions of followers?

Shatto
05-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Yes, watched the kickers on Monday. He has a strong leg but not sure of his accuracy

Will
05-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Yes, watched the kickers on Monday. He has a strong leg but not sure of his accuracy

It would be extremely difficult to make any conclusions based on the weather conditions on Monday.

Argocister
05-22-2019, 10:29 PM
So quick question .... how was SJ GReen at camp? ... I noticed in the transaction section of the Argos site 2 lines with his name ....

2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Add To Active Roster
2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Delete From Active Free Agent

so I 'm confused .... did he just show up to camp? or is he released? is he injured?

Shatto
05-22-2019, 10:50 PM
There are a number of clerical type roster moves, such as the one noted above. Someone with a better understanding of the intricacies of CFL roster regulations, hopefully can provide some insight as to why and how these paper moves occur.

There were some releases today and interestingly, Kennan Gilchrist (LB) who seems to have some real potential, was signed after supposedly retiring a few days ago.

Will
05-23-2019, 08:43 AM
So quick question .... how was SJ GReen at camp? ... I noticed in the transaction section of the Argos site 2 lines with his name ....

2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Add To Active Roster
2019-05-22 TOR GREEN, S.J. WR I South Florida Delete From Active Free Agent

so I 'm confused .... did he just show up to camp? or is he released? is he injured?

They probably re-negotiated. Believe me if a player with S.J's stature had been released outright we would know about it.

Jon Gonzo
05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
They probably re-negotiated. Believe me if a player with S.J's stature had been released outright we would know about it.

That was my guess; re-registering contracts with new provisions?

I noticed Jeff Finlay's name is back in there with an injury designation

REAL
05-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Any fights yet

BantOarsman
05-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Day 4 - Training Camp Report @ YorkU

The Argos were on a two-a-day workout, giving ample time to check out what was happening. It was an ugly morning, with rain/drizzle and gusting winds.

The coaching staff run a high tempo practice with players and coaches showing lots of energy. Cory McDiarmid (Special Teams) and Dan Dorazio (Offensive Line) are relentless in their coaching instruction, communicating information and pushing guys to be their best. They were both noticeably hoarse at the beginning of practice. I can’t see them having a voice in another couple of days!

Head Coach Corey Chamblin spent his time exclusively with the defense, putting his system into place. As fans will know, Chamblin utilizes athleticism and versatility and pushes players to be aggressive. This was demonstrated as the defensive backs and linebackers made a number of interceptions, jumping receiver routes, and seizing the ball in front of their covered receivers. This elicited great cheers from the defensive players. Key free-agent signings Micah Awe, Tobi Antigha, Kevin Fogg, and Ian Wild all look to be key pieces in the new-look defense. The much vaulted defense line should give offenses fits, with Shawn Lemon and Tobi Antigha on the ends and Laing and Ken Bishop manning the middle. ‘Poop’ Johnson should see plenty of rotation, and I imagine Freddie Bishop as well, as he becomes more familiar with the schemes. Ian Wild manned the middle, Micah Awe lined up with the 1st team at WIL--the primary tackling position in a Corey Chamblin defense. Alden Darby rounded out the LB corps at SAM, with the veteran Gabriel at Safety, Kanneh and Ford at HB, and Trumaine Washington at field CB and Kevin Fogg at boundary CB.

Along the offensive line, the usual lineup was Cage - J Campbell - McEwen - Bomben - W Campbell, but for ratio flexibility they also lined up with J Campbell sliding to LT with Holmes beside him at LG. In due time Shane Richards backed by Josiah St. John could be in the van Zeyl succession plan at RT as well. This offensive line is all of big, strong, and athletic--a bulwark for James Franklin to succeed behind.

There's ratio flexibility in the receiving corps as well, with Levi Noel and Jimmy Ralph both looking to start along with the trio of star-studded International receivers in Derel Walker, SJ Green and Armanti Edwards. Imports Rod Smith and rookie Kamathi Holsey provide a couple of big-bodied targets, and Mario Alford and Chandler Worthy have speed to burn. Anthony Coombs, Declan Cross, Mercer Timmis, and Alex Charette provide ample National depth. It was somewhat of a surprise to see Brandon Burks getting a majority of 1st team reps today at RB. I imagine James Wilder Jr will still be the primary back and expect to see the Argos try to have both Burks and Wilder Jr on the roster, using each situationally. It’s uncertain where Tyrell Sutton fits in, but Offensive Coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine must be thrilled with his arsenal.

Perhaps the biggest battle in Argos’ camp this year is at the kicking positions, with Ronnie Pfeffer being challenged by YouTube sensation Donald de la Haye (K/P), Nebraska product Drew Brown (K), and CFL veterans Zack Madeiros (K/P) and Tyler Crapigna (K). Crapigna was stunningly accurate in Saskatchewan but doesn’t have the strongest leg and isn’t a capable punter. Donald de la Haye showed he can boom his punts, but seems to lack consistency and placement. So far it looks as though the role(s) are still Pfeffer’s to lose. One of the nicest punts of the day came from QB Brandon Bridge who boomed one 50+ yards. Bridge punted in high school and clearly hasn’t lost his technique nor any leg strength.

James Franklin is in control of the offense and was sharp all morning after being anointed the starting QB by his head coach on Tuesday. McLeod Bethel-Thompson led the 2nd team offense, with Brandon Bridge leading the 3rd. Noah Picton looks like a teenager next to his teammates, at 5’7” 165 lbs, but there must be some great intangibles there for him to be in camp again this year. Jim Popp sang his praises at the fan town hall during the off-season, so there’s one guy in his corner. Popp had hoped he’d see play-time last pre-season, but it didn’t happen under Head Coach Marc Testman. Maybe we’ll see Picton get some game reps this pre-season. Dakota Prukop had an average day but showed his desire by spending extra time after practice chatting with his coaches. Mitchell O'Connor looks like a prototypical quarterback but looked slow to release the ball today.

Following practice, FB Declan Cross challenged his teammates to pull-ups and put on quite a show along with Levi Noel, ‘Poop’ Johnson, and rookie receiver Kamathi Holsey.

Not much to report on the ‘Global’ players. Top european draft pick Marc Anthony Hor elected not to come to camp and is pursuing other career opportunities. I didn’t notice the two Mexican defensive players, though I imagine LB Hernandez Delgado will be the one to roster as his LB position makes him an ideal special-teamer, something 260 lb Cassarubias-Santiago and 170 lb WR Kimi Linnainmaa are probably less suited for.

Corey Chamblin was quiet except for one team huddle when he stressed the effort and determination required when the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter. His message was clear: 100% effort! No walking!

Other observations:
- Edwards and Green catch the ball in traffic SO well
- Jimmy Ralph had perhaps the nicest deep play today
- Derel Walker showed separation on most routes but didn't have a great day, dropping a few deep ones that hit him in both hands. His resume shows that we need not give that much attention though
- Chris Rainey looks great at KR, with Chandler Worthy is a more-than-'worthy' second option.
- loved the intensity shown at practice--and without any dust-ups among players!

Argo57
05-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Thank you for the report!

ArgoZ
05-23-2019, 07:49 PM
Anyone know the schedule for Sunday? I was going to come Saturday, but rain in the forecast will alter my other plans.

BantOarsman77
05-23-2019, 09:17 PM
Anyone know the schedule for Sunday? I was going to come Saturday, but rain in the forecast will alter my other plans.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018-training-camp-practice-media-schedule/

ArgoZ
05-23-2019, 10:02 PM
https://www.argonauts.ca/2018-training-camp-practice-media-schedule/

Thanks, but shows only to Saturday, hence my Sunday question.

BantOarsman77
05-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Thanks, but shows only to Saturday, hence my Sunday question.

Sorry. Glad you know how to use the google machine!

dmont
05-24-2019, 02:44 AM
Day 4 - Training Camp Report @ YorkU

The Argos were on a two-a-day workout, giving ample time to check out what was happening. It was an ugly morning, with rain/drizzle and gusting winds.

The coaching staff run a high tempo practice with players and coaches showing lots of energy. Cory McDiarmid (Special Teams) and Dan Dorazio (Offensive Line) are relentless in their coaching instruction, communicating information and pushing guys to be their best. They were both noticeably hoarse at the beginning of practice. I can’t see them having a voice in another couple of days!

Head Coach Corey Chamblin spent his time exclusively with the defense, putting his system into place. As fans will know, Chamblin utilizes athleticism and versatility and pushes players to be aggressive. This was demonstrated as the defensive backs and linebackers made a number of interceptions, jumping receiver routes, and seizing the ball in front of their covered receivers. This elicited great cheers from the defensive players. Key free-agent signings Micah Awe, Tobi Antigha, Kevin Fogg, and Ian Wild all look to be key pieces in the new-look defense. The much vaulted defense line should give offenses fits, with Shawn Lemon and Tobi Antigha on the ends and Laing and Ken Bishop manning the middle. ‘Poop’ Johnson should see plenty of rotation, and I imagine Freddie Bishop as well, as he becomes more familiar with the schemes. Ian Wild manned the middle, Micah Awe lined up with the 1st team at WIL--the primary tackling position in a Corey Chamblin defense. Alden Darby rounded out the LB corps at SAM, with the veteran Gabriel at Safety, Kanneh and Ford at HB, and Trumaine Washington at field CB and Kevin Fogg at boundary CB.

Along the offensive line, the usual lineup was Cage - J Campbell - McEwen - Bomben - W Campbell, but for ratio flexibility they also lined up with J Campbell sliding to LT with Holmes beside him at LG. In due time Shane Richards backed by Josiah St. John could be in the van Zeyl succession plan at RT as well. This offensive line is all of big, strong, and athletic--a bulwark for James Franklin to succeed behind.

There's ratio flexibility in the receiving corps as well, with Levi Noel and Jimmy Ralph both looking to start along with the trio of star-studded International receivers in Derek Walker, SJ Green and Armanti Edwards. Imports Rod Smith and rookie Kamathi Holsey provide a couple of big-bodied targets, and Mario Alford and Chandler Worthy have speed to burn. Anthony Coombs, Declan Cross, Mercer Timmis, and Alex Charette provide ample National depth. It was somewhat of a surprise to see Brandon Burks getting a majority of 1st team reps today at RB. I imagine James Wilder Jr will still be the primary back and expect to see the Argos try to have both Burks and Wilder Jr on the roster, using each situationally. It’s uncertain where Tyrell Sutton fits in, but Offensive Coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine must be thrilled with his arsenal.

Perhaps the biggest battle in Argos’ camp this year is at the kicking positions, with Ronnie Pfeffer being challenged by YouTube sensation Donald de la Haye (K/P), Nebraska product Drew Brown (K), and CFL veterans Zack Madeiros (K/P) and Tyler Crapigna (K). Crapigna was stunningly accurate in Saskatchewan but doesn’t have the strongest leg and isn’t a capable punter. Donald de la Haye showed he can boom his punts, but seems to lack consistency and placement. So far it looks as though the role(s) are still Pfeffer’s to lose. One of the nicest punts of the day came from QB Brandon Bridge who boomed one 50+ yards. Bridge punted in high school and clearly hasn’t lost his technique nor any leg strength.

James Franklin is in control of the offense and was sharp all morning after being anointed the starting QB title by his head coach on Tuesday. McLeod Bethel-Thompson led the 2nd team offense, with Brandon Bridge leading the 3rd. Noah Picton looks like a teenager next to his teammates, at 5’7” 165 lbs, but there must be some great intangibles there for him to be in camp again this year. Jim Popp sang his praises at the fan town hall during the off-season, so there’s one guy in his corner. Popp had hoped he’d see play-time last pre-season, but it didn’t happen under Head Coach Marc Testman. Maybe we’ll see Picton get some game reps this pre-season. Dakota Prukop had an average day but showed his desire by spending extra time after practice chatting with his coaches. Mitchell O'Connor looks like a prototypical quarterback but looked slow to release the ball today.

Following practice, FB Declan Cross challenged his teammates to pull-ups and put on quite a show along with Levi Noel, ‘Poop’ Johnson, and rookie receiver Kamathi Holsey.

Not much to report on the ‘Global’ players. Top european draft pick Marc Anthony Hor elected not to come to camp and is pursuing other career opportunities. I didn’t notice the two Mexican defensive players, though I imagine LB Hernandez Delgado will be the one to roster as his LB position makes him an ideal special-teamer, something 260 lb Cassarubias-Santiago and 170 lb WR Kimi Linnainmaa are probably less suited for.

Corey Chamblin was quiet except for one team huddle when he stressed the effort and determination required when the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter. His message was clear: 100% effort! No walking!

Other observations:
- Edwards and Green catch the ball in traffic SO well
- Jimmy Ralph had perhaps the nicest deep play today
- Derel Walker showed separation on most routes but didn't have a great day, dropping a few deep ones that hit him in both hands. His resume shows that we need not give that much attention though
- Chris Rainey looks great at KR, with Chandler Worthy is a more-than-'worthy' second option.
- loved the intensity shown at practice--and without any dust-ups among players!

Thank you for the report! Great stuff in there.

I'm surprised Wild was in the middle. Everybody keeps saying hes too small and that's not his natural position.

Great to hear that Jamal Campbells getting a serious look. I thought Tyler Holmes fell off a bit last year and hope he rebounds. It would be incredible if Jamal ends up playing left tackle.

I was really disappointed with Pfeffer last year. They put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders and he buckled under the pressure. We lost some close games early in 2018 where he missed one or two fgs. I'd almost like them to go with two canadians, crapigna on fgs and pfeffer/medeiros on punts and kickoffs. I wonder if de la Haye might be the most cap-friendly option, if not the most ratio-friendly.

I'm freaked out about these 5'9'' DBs playing with the first team. Call me a height-ist if you want... I cant help it.

BantOarsman
05-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Awe and Wild flipped at MAC and WIL a bit but Wild was more often in the middle.

Look what Zicarelli wrote today:
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/argo-practice-sessions-turn-wild-with-presence-of-veteran-lb

Chamb loves Wild

paulwoods13
05-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Very interested in seeing if Jamal is ready to start. We could definitely use an upgrade over Holmes at RG.

I think when the dust settles, Medeiros will be our punter and Brown will be our kicker. But the competition for those spots is certainly intriguing.

AngeloV
05-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Very interested in seeing if Jamal is ready to start. We could definitely use an upgrade over Holmes at RG.

I think when the dust settles, Medeiros will be our punter and Brown will be our kicker. But the competition for those spots is certainly intriguing.

I think Crapigna might win the kicking job if he is 100% healthy. If he and Brown are equal, the National status will likely be the deciding factor. BTW, Holmes is LG not RG. Bomben and CVZ played the same side last year.

Will
05-24-2019, 04:55 PM
It would be nice of J. Campbell could lay claim to either of the tackle spots. I'd rather not have to play 2 INT on the line if I don't have to.

doubleblue
05-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Good Report BantOarsman. Sounds like the starting lineup is starting to take shape. It will be interesting to see who eventually winds up as the starting OT's on the offensive line. Probably safe to go with the experienced ones to start with though.
The you tube sensation looks to have a good leg. To me they need to keep the best accurate field goal kicker. Brown looked very good from forty or so in last year. But teams need that 55 yarder once in a while when the game is on the line. The two Canadian kickers from last year are good enough punters.

AngeloV
05-24-2019, 07:04 PM
To me they need to keep the best accurate field goal kicker. Brown looked very good from forty or so in last year. But teams need that 55 yarder once in a while when the game is on the line. The two Canadian kickers from last year are good enough punters.

To me, I would keep Medeiros over Pfeffer to be the punter. He was considerably more consistent. He can also handle kickoffs and any long (55 yards) FG attempts. If they do end up dressing 2 kickers, my bet is on Crapigna winning the FG job. Like Brown, very accurate, but also a bigger sample size, and being Canadian sure doesn't hurt.

paulwoods13
05-25-2019, 02:41 AM
I think Crapigna might win the kicking job if he is 100% healthy. If he and Brown are equal, the National status will likely be the deciding factor. BTW, Holmes is LG not RG. Bomben and CVZ played the same side last year.

Of course, my bad. Bomben should be a fixture at RG.

BantOarsman
05-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Likely and Alford released; Cam Walker returns
https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/05/25/argos-add-three-day-7-camp/

ArgoZ
05-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Glad to see Walker back. Alford expected. Little surprised with Likely.

Will
05-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Glad to see Walker back. Alford expected. Little surprised with Likely.

Agreed. Thought Likely showed well albeit in a limited sample.

OV Argo
05-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Appreciate the TC report/observations; anybody else who gets to attend - please add more reports (AV?).

At receiver: Green, Walker & Edwards the big 3 ? - then maybe 2 NIs starting? - but hard to believe Ralph has passed Coombs ? Noel & Coombs likely the 2 starters if they go there, but also like to hear where Cibasu and this year's draft pick Gittens Jr. (CIS all-time single season receptions #) fit in ?

LB a big concern area IMO - mostly MLB & Will; not a fan of Awe from what i saw of him in BC, but Wild could be solid at Will, but not at MLB, IMO.

QB - if MacBeth makes the roster just because he played last year = none of Prukop or the 2 young Canadian QBs will have impresssed much at all ?

Is that new D-lineman with NFL roster experience a DE or DT ? Lemon & maybe Bishop have to be upgrades from the weak DE play most of last season; i just hope one of the NI DEs (several to choose from in TC competition) gets a real shot to play some, even just as a rotation guy. Woodson also deserves a real shot to play somewhere in the D-backfield.

*** edit - looked up a bio for new D-Lineman Jhustain Thomas - listed as a DE when with the Colts in the NFL, but apparently played some DT as well at Iowa State (same program as Cleyon Laing); 6-5, 280 range size maybe suggests CFL DT, but if has some quicks could be a big DE too ? Interesting signing IMO.

Shatto
05-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Somewhat surprised at Alford and Likely being released so early in camp but it must speak highly of their competition. Hopefully I'm wrong but in the one practice I have observed, Cibasu looked rather slow and cumbersome. He certainly has the size but does he have the mobility needed of a WR? Perhaps he will improve as the camp progresses.

Last year, mobile QB's were able to use their feet to avoid the rather weak Argo rush but with Lemon, Bishop (Freddie), Awe, Antigha, Gilchrist and perhaps Striker, the team certainly has added players with speed and mobility who will make opposition QB's lives a little more miserable.

OV Argo
05-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Somewhat surprised at Alford and Likely being released so early in camp but it must speak highly of their competition. Hopefully I'm wrong but in the one practice I have observed, Cibasu looked rather slow and cumbersome. He certainly has the size but does he have the mobility needed of a WR? Perhaps he will improve as the camp progresses.

Last year, mobile QB's were able to use their feet to avoid the rather weak Argo rush but with Lemon, Bishop (Freddie), Awe, Antigha, Gilchrist and perhaps Striker, the team certainly has added players with speed and mobility who will make opposition QB's lives a little more miserable.

As far as speed being the main characteristic for a successful CFL receiver - I would site the example of Brad Sinopoli - who is hardly fast (I believe he ran a 4.8 range 40 at his CFL Combine as a QB), but gets by - very well - on route running, receiver smarts/finesse, plus great hands AND his size makes him hard to bring down and very good at YAC yards; Cibasu is bigger and I bet a bit faster than Sinopoli; be nice if he had the hands & receiver smarts too. Also depends where a receiver lines-up and the routes he is expected to run most often - big target slotbacks in CFL past were forces (Elgaard, DiPietro types), but if the receiver is expected to blow by DBs mostly, you want a faster guy; I think Cibasu was mostly a wide-out in CIS ball - so not sure if that is where he lines up for the Argos or if he could make a slotback transition ?

doubleblue
05-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Has anybody ever seen Cibasu's pro day numbers? I was guessing he would probably be around 4.7 in the forty. I don't believe Popp drafted him to be a wide out. Maybe backup Noel for a while if he can block, to go along with his receiving ability and run on special teams for awhile. Which will help get him in game shape.
It's a big jump from facing CIS defenses to the CFL defenses.

Shatto
05-25-2019, 11:28 PM
Cibasu ran 4.80 on his pro day and 4.87 at NFL tryout. He was 232 or 233 at that time and is now 242 and does not look to be running at that speed right now. If he is played utilizing his size (slot back?) he could well be an asset to the team. The team had a similar sized receiver in Brian Jones (ran 4.69) a couple of years ago but he was never given much of an opportunity to use his size and skills. Hopefully the same thing will not occur with Cibasu.

doubleblue
05-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Cibasu ran 4.80 on his pro day and 4.87 at NFL tryout. He was 232 or 233 at that time and is now 242 and does not look to be running at that speed right now. If he is played utilizing his size (slot back?) he could well be an asset to the team. The team had a similar sized receiver in Brian Jones (ran 4.69) a couple of years ago but he was never given much of an opportunity to use his size and skills. Hopefully the same thing will not occur with Cibasu.

Jones is 6' 4 and leaner than Cibasu who is listed at 6'2. He wasn't at the combine so don't know his true height. I don't believe the Coach would be too happy with him coming into camp weighing 242. Do I foresee a stint on the 6 game to start the season? Until they get him down to what they would believe to be his correct playing weight. There's only one Nik Lewis who could play a receiver position at 240.

Wobbler
05-26-2019, 10:10 AM
If we're going to use him at H-Back he's probably about the right size. Does anyone know where he has been lining up in camp?

Shatto
05-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Cibasu is listed on the roster as 6' 3" and 242. Last year on his pro day and NFL tryout he was listed at 6' 3" and 232. Jones was listed at the combine at 6' 4" and 233 so not really a big difference but a reasonable difference in their 40's ( 4.80/4.87 vs 4,69). My comment that Cibasu looked a little heavy and a bit slower than I had expected was just an observation not meant in any way as a derogatory comment of the young man.

My hope is Cibasu does not get treated in the same way as Jones but is given a fair chance to demonstrate he can use his size to his advantage. I'm sure we are all hoping that he has a successful CFL career.

doubleblue
05-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Is that new D-lineman with NFL roster experience a DE or DT ? Lemon & maybe Bishop have to be upgrades from the weak DE play most of last season; i just hope one of the NI DEs (several to choose from in TC competition) gets a real shot to play some, even just as a rotation guy. Woodson also deserves a real shot to play somewhere in the D-backfield.

*** edit - looked up a bio for new D-Lineman Jhustain Thomas - listed as a DE when with the Colts in the NFL, but apparently played some DT as well at Iowa State (same program as Cleyon Laing); 6-5, 280 range size maybe suggests CFL DT, but if has some quicks could be a big DE too ? Interesting signing IMO.

Thomas was a Senior at Iowa State in 2016. A quote on him says "an athletically gifted defensive end Jhaustin Thomas (6'6 265) was playing basketball two years ago, but possesses a NFL body". Had 23 solo tackles, 3 sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss, 1 interception and 7 QB hurries. Had 7 starts at DT. Was a 2nd team Big 12 all star. So you're right OV he has experience playing DE and DT his 2 years at Iowa State after converting from basketball.
Probably needs to play to improve.

ArgoGabe22
05-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Don't want the other thread getting off topic, so here it is.

How is James Franklin looking? That is all I want/need to know.

Shatto
05-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Spent more time watching offense than defense today. Some observations:

.OL looks to be-- Cage LT, Holmes LG, McEwan C, Bomben RG, Richards (Randy) RT If they do go with 2 INTs at OT, they will have to have 2 NATs on offense at all times.

.Noel, seems to have locked down a position at starting receiver. Either one of Ralph or Cross were on the field with Noel. Interestingly, Coombs did not see any time on any of the offensive alignments. Not sure if he has a minor injury or not. Anyone heard anything?

.Cibasu was with the backs the entire practice. It looks as if he will be competing with Gingras-Gagnon for back up to Cross. Perhaps they may also look at him to play TE occasionally.

.Linnainmaa (Global) WR was quick and showed good hands but is quite small

.Gittens looked very smooth running his routes and has excellent hands but the competition for NAT WR is going to be tough.

.Franklin looked sharp today. He threw a lot of accurate crisp passes into the coffin corner.

gilthethrill
05-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Is this the year WR Cole Watson's persistence pays off???

OV Argo
05-26-2019, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Shatto;140639]Spent more time watching offense than defense today. Some observations:

.OL looks to be-- Cage LT, Holmes LG, McEwan C, Bomben RG, Richards (Randy) RT If they do go with 2 INTs at OT, they will have to have 2 NATs on offense at all times.

.Noel, seems to have locked down a position at starting receiver. Either one of Ralph or Cross were on the field with Noel. Interestingly, Coombs did not see any time on any of the offensive alignments. Not sure if he has a minor injury or not. Anyone heard anything?

.Cibasu was with the backs the entire practice. It looks as if he will be competing with Gingras-Gagnon for back up to Cross. Perhaps they may also look at him to play TE occasionally.

.Linnainmaa (Global) WR was quick and showed good hands but is quite small

.Gittens looked very smooth running his routes and has excellent hands but the competition for NAT WR is going to be tough.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
Well, at least the Argos deploy an H-back some - more than all other CFL teams except Ottawa - so a capable back-up for even a part-time position is i guess helpful - not sure how a team could rationalise carrying 3 H-backs on the game roster though? - maybe if they are all ST demons as well. And Cibasu might make a great H-back for all we know - maybe better than Cross. But IMO a guy with that kind of production and recognition as a receiver in college ball (all-star and went to the US Shrine game) should maybe be getting a real look at his real position instead of being pencilled-in as a 3rd string H-back. And if Noel and Ralph (over Coombs?) are going to be 2 starters in the 5 pack - you still need a couple of back-up receivers and Cibasu should be able to compete with Gittens in the mix - but also maybe be a jack-of-all trades - H-back & receiver ?

cfl-cis fan
05-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Can he block but I think he should be given a chance at both position also and specials as that is a must for an h-back

REAL
05-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Edmonton has 2 or 3 on dress roster, Winnipeg has 2, almost every team has 2-3 H/Fullbacks. The lone exception being Hamilton who had none until recently they drafted one so even they are changing. Toronto has a good one despite what some of you may think and yes competition is a healthy thing to have and I would bet Cross still comes out on top.

jerrym
05-29-2019, 03:01 AM
He wouldn't be the first Argo to put on weight and lose speed after going to the NFL.

cfl-cis fan
05-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Looked back at Montreal Depth chart for 2016 and player stats. Chapdelaine offence rarely used a H-Back so makes no sense really for Cibasu to be stuck there, he should be playing slot

paulwoods13
05-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Looked back at Montreal Depth chart for 2016 and player stats. Chapdelaine offence rarely used a H-Back so makes no sense really for Cibasu to be stuck there, he should be playing slot

H-back was used at times yesterday, maybe a bit less often than the past two years but not left out of the offence. As far as I could see, Cibasu did not get in the game.

Wobbler
06-01-2019, 11:28 AM
With three new OL draftees needing spots (or not), I assume that we'll be looking at some changes at least among the backup linemen.

Deane and Kolankowski are gone - who's next? Even after we put someone on the PR and another on the IR the list looks pretty long. Has anyone seen anything in camp to indicate who will make the team?

paulwoods13
06-01-2019, 01:36 PM
With three new OL draftees needing spots (or not), I assume that we'll be looking at some changes at least among the backup linemen.

Deane and Kolankowski are gone - who's next? Even after we put someone on the PR and another on the IR the list looks pretty long. Has anyone seen anything in camp to indicate who will make the team?

I noticed that Sackey was listed the other day as No. 2 centre. Last year in preseason he had tons of difficulty snapping to the QB, so hopefully he has overcome that. I did not notice whether he got in on Thursday but I assume he did.

Argo57
06-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Noah Picton just released.
https://3downnation.com/2019/06/01/argos-release-canadian-qb-noah-picton/

Will
06-01-2019, 02:04 PM
I noticed that Sackey was listed the other day as No. 2 centre. Last year in preseason he had tons of difficulty snapping to the QB, so hopefully he has overcome that. I did not notice whether he got in on Thursday but I assume he did.

He did get in there. I didn't note any snaps out of the ordinary.

Wobbler
06-01-2019, 02:15 PM
If Sackey got a significant number of reps without anyone really noticing, he has made good progress - which would explain why Kolankowski was released.

If no one displaces Holmes or Bomben, I suppose Sackey/Campbell on the 44, Richards on the IR, Simba and Starczala on the PR, and St. John released? Or Maybe Campbell's value has dropped now that tackle has become an INT position, and Richards stays on the 44 instead?

paulwoods13
06-01-2019, 05:19 PM
I see us keeping three INT tackes (starting two), plus J. Campbell and Richards and at least one of Sackey and St. John. Might try to keep as many as 10 which would likely mean both Sackey and St. John. I think only way Simba and Starczala stay is if they can supplant either Sackey or St. John, or if Holmes loses his starting spot and ends up released or traded. Having already lost CVZ, I don't know if they'd drop another experienced guy, tho (although Holmes certainly has room for improvement over the past two years).

paulwoods13
06-01-2019, 05:21 PM
By the way, it's pretty odd that we have two Richardses and two Campbells on the o-line, no? And a new St. John to replace the old one.

Wobbler
06-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Maybe that's why we went with hard-to-read numbers on the new jerseys. We can substitute Richardses and Campbells without anyone noticing. ;)

I have no idea how things are going in camp, but all things being equal I'd love to see some of the new guys can do. Seeing Jim Barker proven right about Sackey would be a fun bonus.

Wobbler
06-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Link (https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/01/argos-release-four-including-picton-davis/)

Released: Noah Picton (QB), Troy Davis (DE), Jhaustin Thomas (DT), Hassan Barry (DT).
Signed: Cardell Rawlings (LB/DE)

Davis got quite a few starts in the last two years, but wasn't a particularly impressive pass rusher. Hopefully his release indicates that we've upgraded.

Shatto
06-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Cardell Rawlings is an intriguing signing. At 6' 2" and 240 he is really too small for the NFL, even as an OLB. He has been described as having "freak speed" but also as an "incredibly intelligent player" We already have Antigha, Lemon and Bishop vying for DE but Rawlings does seem like an upgrade on Davis. Watching his game film he certainly does have a motor. Guess there is no harm in having a lot of good rush ends!

AngeloV
06-01-2019, 11:39 PM

At Saturday's practice, Bomben was taking some reps at centre. Guessing in a pinch, he would slide over from guard to centre.

cfl-cis fan
06-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Maybe that's why we went with hard-to-read numbers on the new jerseys. We can substitute Richardses and Campbells without anyone noticing. ;)

I have no idea how things are going in camp, but all things being equal I'd love to see some of the new guys can do. Seeing Jim Barker proven right about Sackey would be a fun bonus.

Jury still out on the 2016 class??

Will
06-06-2019, 08:13 AM
I moved all the Coombs post to the other thread -- felt he is significant enough to have his own thread.

Wobbler
06-07-2019, 01:50 PM
The club announced today we have released the following players:

WR Austin Duke
DB Jamie Harry
WR Kamathi Holsey
DL Trevaughan James
DL Cardell Rawlings
OL Josiah St. John
DB Malik Davis
DL Alexandre Gagnon
DL Evan Foster

Wobbler
06-07-2019, 01:55 PM
88 guys listed on the roster minus 9 = 79, which is still a lot.

dmont
06-07-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm only surprised about Jamie Harry. I'd only read and heard good things. Does he have Usports eligibility left?

argolio
06-07-2019, 02:31 PM
I'm only surprised about Jamie Harry. I'd only read and heard good things. Does he have Usports eligibility left?Good question.

Duke surprises me. He's had a really good camp.

I expected St. John to be cut. He spent too much of camp on the training table.

Neely2005
06-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Argos release 9:

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-release-nine-players-including-former-no-1-cfl-pick-ol-josiah-st-john/

dmont
06-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Argonauts trying to trade Bridge:

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-shopping-canadian-quarterback-brandon-bridge/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 04:21 PM

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-shopping-canadian-quarterback-brandon-bridge/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No surprise. I would be surprised if they found any takers, and fully expect they won't. He will likely be cut tomorrow. Like I said, he wasn't brought in to be a #3 QB, and he clearly was nowhere near as good as MBT throughout camp.

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 07:11 PM
CFL.ca transactions show Tyler Holmes has been released. Haven’t seen it elsewhere. Wonder if it’s an error.

gilthethrill
06-07-2019, 07:14 PM
CFL.ca transactions show Tyler Holmes has been released. Haven’t seen it elsewhere. Wonder if it’s an error.

That seems to happen a lot.

Argo57
06-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Should be an interesting weekend league wide.

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-release-nine-players-including-former-no-1-cfl-pick-ol-josiah-st-john/

Wobbler
06-07-2019, 08:33 PM
I find it hard to believe that we'd release a veteran starter like Holmes without a prompt press release.

Shatto
06-07-2019, 10:43 PM
One would think that releasing veteran OL Holmes would come with an announcement of some type. Is it a mistake or is there more behind the story? Perhaps all will be answered tomorrow.

R.J
06-08-2019, 12:53 AM
If the Holmes release ends up happening, I'm a little confused as to the reaction by some on here. Considering Holmes has struggled since his rookie season, and quite a few have pointed out that he's actually regressed over the years... Why would anyone be surprised by his release ?

dmont
06-08-2019, 01:22 AM
If the Holmes release ends up happening, I'm a little confused as to the reaction by some on here. Considering Holmes has struggled since his rookie season, and quite a few have pointed out that he's actually regressed over the years... Why would anyone be surprised by his release ?

I think he regressed last year, but one data point does not a trend make. Still, even if he were regressing, we're already playing two Americans on the Oline and there isn't an established Canadian to take his place. Even if J Campbell or S Richard's were ready and suited to that spot, who do you have in case of injury?

I'm not the biggest Tyler Holmes fan, but I hope it's a mistake.

paulwoods13
06-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Holmes has been iffy for the past two or three years. Like everyone else on the o-line, he improved a lot when Himebauch showed up midway through 2017, but he regressed again last year. Still, I agree we don't have an obvious replacement for him. I can't see us going with three NATs on defence, which would be required if we were to go with just two on the o-line. Plus Holmes was backing up at centre last game.

Will
06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
I don't see the "transaction" on the CFL.ca site anymore so I assume it was just an error on the league's part.

AngeloV
06-08-2019, 10:08 AM
I don't see the "transaction" on the CFL.ca site anymore so I assume it was just an error on the league's part.

I see wr Kamanthi Holsey was released. Must have been the mix up.

jerrym
06-08-2019, 07:42 PM

I doubt anyone will trade for him since offering Bridge in a trade suggests the Argos are on the road to cutting him. Other teams are in the process of trimming their own roster so they probably not looking at adding people unless they believe the addition is a major improvement. However, I would not be surprised if he is picked up by another team once cut or later as QB injuries occur.

OV Argo
06-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Disappointing to see DB draft pick Jamie Harry not make the grade; maybe he goes back to the GGs for a 5th year, and could re-emerge with another CFL shot down the road ?

Wobbler
06-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Agreed, OV. Fingers crossed.

dmont
06-08-2019, 10:15 PM
https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/06/08/argos-announce-final-roster-moves-following-training-camp/

The following players have been released:

NAT DL Sean Harrington

NAT K Zach Medeiros

NAT K Tyler Crapigna

NAT QB Brandon Bridge

NAT DL Cam Walker

NAT WR Malcolm Williams

INT WR Darren Carrington II

INT LB Akeem Jordan

INT DB Marcus Roberson

INT DL Willie Yarbary

INT DB Jonathon Dowling

INT WR Cole Watson

The following players have been added to the practice roster:

NAT DL John Biewald

NAT OL Maurice Simba

NAT LS Joe Spaziani

INT DB Anthony Covington

INT K Donald De La Haye

INT DB Caleb Ham

INT OL Roubbens Joseph

INT DL Eric Striker

INT WR Rodney Smith

Global LB Christian Hernandez

Global DL Jose Casarrubias

dmont
06-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Surprised about Akeem Jordan, Marcus Roberson, and Jon Dowling. We seem to be thin at MLB now. Looks like we're sticking with our short DBs. I hope they can tackle downfield and not get locked up by blocking receivers.

So we're keeping all those RBs on the active roster???

We seem to be going with Pfeffer on kicks (heaven help us!) is Drew Brown still on the team? Looks like De La Haye will be sticking around in Toronto. I'm surprised he agreed to go on the PR. I hope this is for his kicking abilities and not because the team wants to leverage his social media profile.

Wobbler
06-08-2019, 10:30 PM
We're Deestroying our PR!

(Good!)

Wobbler
06-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Sackey lives to fight another day! Maybe.

Apparently Starczala is suspended, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Bleeds Double Blue
06-08-2019, 10:55 PM
I was really hoping that in the offseason Argos would upgrade their kicking game. Hmm, I guess we'll see if Drew Brown and Pfeffer can get er done.

AngeloV
06-08-2019, 11:00 PM
I was really hoping that in the offseason Argos would upgrade their kicking game. Hmm, I guess we'll see if Drew Brown and Pfeffer can get er done.

Brown was very good to finish last season. I have confidence in him. I would have kept Madeiros over Pfeffer.

Overall, surprised to see Dowling released, but none of the others surprised me.

Shatto
06-09-2019, 12:16 AM
No real dramatic surprises but a little surprised with the Robertson release.

A big surprise at keeping four INT RB's on the active roster, particularly since we also have a NAT RB on the roster. Also some surprise that Rodney Smith at 29 would agree to go on practice roster.

AngeloV
06-09-2019, 12:50 AM
No real dramatic surprises but a little surprised with the Robertson release.

A big surprise at keeping four INT RB's on the active roster, particularly since we also have a NAT RB on the roster. Also some surprise that Rodney Smith at 29 would agree to go on practice roster.

I highly doubt all the RB's will be on the game day roster. They Argos still have 2 weeks before they have to be fully committed to their roster. Every year we see changes after the final cutdown date and before the first game. I would expect Sutton to be the on IR most of the season, and Rainey to be mostly used returning kicks and replacing a SB on certain formations.

Stevoman
06-09-2019, 02:08 AM
Surprised about Cam Walker, Cole Watson, and Jonathon Dowling. Also surprised that Pfeffer is still on the team as I think I'd rather have gone with Medeiros. I'm glad De La Haye accepted the practice roster spot as did Rodney Smith.

paulwoods13
06-09-2019, 05:18 AM
Brown was very good to finish last season. I have confidence in him. I would have kept Madeiros over Pfeffer.

Overall, surprised to see Dowling released, but none of the others surprised me.

I agree on all of those points. I liked Medeiros last year, and didn't like Pfeffer very much. Brown was excellent down the stretch. I, too, liked Dowling, and wished he had been looked at at OLB.

paulwoods13
06-09-2019, 05:47 AM
I highly doubt all the RB's will be on the game day roster. They Argos still have 2 weeks before they have to be fully committed to their roster. Every year we see changes after the final cutdown date and before the first game. I would expect Sutton to be the on IR most of the season, and Rainey to be mostly used returning kicks and replacing a SB on certain formations.

There are a lot of moves still to come. By my count there are 57 guys on the active roster, so 11 need to be designated elsewhere. Also, only five INT DBs, which is just about impossible to believe will stand (especially since Ford, who was starting at LB but appeared to get injured last week, is one of them). And we are not going to have 10 o-linemen on the 46. As you note, cut-down rosters don't come close to reflecting the actual game roster in Week 1 (or in our case Week 2).

gilthethrill
06-09-2019, 06:18 AM
No one surprised Crapigna was cut? Did he have a poor pre season? The fact he was still available at the start of camp tells me he is still recovering from injury? Cole Watson will have to wait another year to make the team.

Wobbler
06-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Linnainmaa? I don't see any indication that he was cut, but he also isn't listed on the roster. We don't have a global player on the active roster, so I suspect that he's the guy but was accidentally omitted.

paulwoods13
06-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Linnainmaa? I don't see any indication that he was cut, but he also isn't listed on the roster. We don't have a global player on the active roster, so I suspect that he's the guy but was accidentally omitted.

That would be my guess as well. He saw some action on specials, and a few plays on offence, in the preseason. The two Mexicans also got into a couple of plays, but the Finn seems more roster-ready, based on usage to date.

paulwoods13
06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
No one surprised Crapigna was cut? Did he have a poor pre season? The fact he was still available at the start of camp tells me he is still recovering from injury? Cole Watson will have to wait another year to make the team.

Crapigna looked fine to me, but I felt all along it would be difficult for anyone to beat out Brown. I don't think Crapigna's leg is as strong as Brown's. Watson seemed to anticipate getting cut, based on him saving the football he scored his TD with, and the big hug Popp gave him afterwards.

gilthethrill
06-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Including 2 PR players, 8 Argo Canadian Draft Picks made the final cut down....I think DB Jamie Harry was the only casualty.

Wobbler
06-09-2019, 03:58 PM
...and he might just be going back to school.

It's an impressive injection of new blood on the team.

R.J
06-10-2019, 05:34 PM
How are the Argos allowed to carry 57 players on the roster ?

I really wish the CFL would finally clamp down on this type of crap.

AngeloV
06-10-2019, 06:38 PM

My guess is they don't have to make a final decision on the draft picks that are currently still here as of yet. I don't know what the big deal is.

paulwoods13
06-10-2019, 06:45 PM

No one's going to clamp down on something that is clearly allowed. I think it's fairly evident that the league (i.e. the teams) have decided teams can basically do what they want roster-wise until 48 hours before their first game, when the 46 has to be declared. It's been that way for several years. It's not as if the Argos are flouting the rules -- Ticats, to cite one example, currently show 52 names on their roster.

argotom
06-10-2019, 07:53 PM
No one's going to clamp down on something that is clearly allowed. I think it's fairly evident that the league (i.e. the teams) have decided teams can basically do what they want roster-wise until 48 hours before their first game, when the 46 has to be declared. It's been that way for several years. It's not as if the Argos are flouting the rules -- Ticats, to cite one example, currently show 52 names on their roster.

No sure about this, but with the addition of the 1 Global spot on the roster, does it not increase the declared portion to 47 of which 44 play the game?

doubleblue
06-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Nothing new here. Most teams now carry around 65 players total. 46 are declared on the roster before each game. The rest are divided up on the practice roster, the 1 game injured and the 6 game injured lists. We might even see an addition or two besides a few deletions before the Home opener.

cfl-cis fan
06-11-2019, 12:53 PM
not understanding some of the recent transactions;
is Kurly gone!!
whats up with Wilder suspended!!, is that just because he had to maybe leave to attend to personal family matters!! etc
Sackey, Sutton - are they revisions to their contract etc.!!

argofan81
06-11-2019, 03:21 PM
is Kurly gone!!
whats up with Wilder suspended!!, is that just because he had to maybe leave to attend to personal family matters!! etc

I follow Wilder on InstaGram and a close friend of his (also a football player that perhaps played or was going to play in the CFL?) was shot and killed over the weekend. I assume the 'personal matter' was to attend his funeral.

dmont
06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
is Kurly gone!!

I hope Gittins is just a clerical error. Wilder went from active to suspended to active at the same time, so hopefully someone at the CFL mistakenly put "free agent" for gittens rather than "active roster". These clerical errors happened a couple times during preseason

lazycro
06-12-2019, 01:23 PM
I follow Wilder on InstaGram and a close friend of his (also a football player that perhaps played or was going to play in the CFL?) was shot and killed over the weekend. I assume the 'personal matter' was to attend his funeral.

Eric Patterson, he was released after signing with Winnipeg at the end of April

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/10/eric-patterson-death-fatally-shot-colts-browns-rams-patriots

7dj83r8f78t4alf8