PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to the pre-season game on June 19th?

ticatfan
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Anyone taking time off to go? I will be there.

What about plans after the game?

AngeloV
06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I'll be there. After all the complaining I did, I took the day off work. Hopefully, they can fill the stadium with youngsters.

Mulder
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
probably not. Doesn't make much sense for me to take the day off and spend 4 hours+ driving. For a pre-season game. Also, only to be caught in traffic on the way back to Belleville. Ulgh.

Hopefully the game will be carried on TSN radio.

Will
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Haven't decided yet.

T-Bone
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I'll be there.

ticatfan
06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Sounds good T-Bone. Badali's after? Then off to trivia

ArgoGabe22
06-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I'ill be there too

Downtownfan
06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
will be there with my 5 year old son.

argofandave
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I'll be there. "Luckily," I'm unemployed and can make it to every game no matter when it's played.

Mulder
06-11-2012, 03:09 PM
http://argonauts.ca/article/30000-students-confirmed-for-field-trip-to-argos-pre-season-home-game

TORONTO--On Tuesday, June 19, the Toronto Argonauts will host one of the largest student gatherings ever at a sporting event in Toronto! Close to 30,000 GTA students will pack Rogers Centre for the team’s home pre-season game as part of an extraordinary year-end “Field Trip” to celebrate student success. And, thanks to the Toronto Sun, students 12 years old and under who have a game ticket will ride there on TTC subways, busses and streetcars completely free of charge!

An event of this magnitude has been made possible through the trust the Argonauts’ powerful community programs have established with local schools and school boards over more than a decade. The team’s award winning Huddle Up Bullying Prevention Program, presented by Tim Hortons, just completed its eleventh year and is recognized as being among the premier in-school bullying education programs in the province. This spring, Argo-cise, presented by GoodLife Fitness, has helped keep kids healthy by welcoming Argos players and cheerleaders into local schools and showing kids that physical activity can be fun.

Commented Jason Colero, Toronto Argonauts Director, Education Programs & The Argos Foundation, “We are thrilled with the overwhelming support we’ve received for this initiative from the Ministry of Education and the many school boards from around the GTA. We especially want to thank our partners at the Toronto Sun for working with the TTC to bring as many students as possible to our game. We have reached out to over half a million students over the years with our many community programs, and we’re so excited that on June 19 we will be able to celebrate all of our successes and growth together.”

By taking advantage of this offer, schools will travel quickly and safely into and out of the city centre, alleviate traffic congestion, help our environment and help to ensure that everyone will arrive on time for the 12 noon kickoff!

Mike Power, Publisher, Toronto Sun, commented, “The Toronto Sun is pleased and proud to be a part of this very exciting day. This event is a good example of the many tremendous community initiatives put on by the Toronto Argonauts. Thank you to the TTC, the School Boards and the Argonauts for partnering to make this special day happen for so many deserving GTA students”.

The game will provide students with an exciting and educational game day experience. Along with special student and community-focused presentations, specifically targeting bullying prevention and health and wellness, students will be treated to great football action while learning about the dangers of bullying and benefits of physical activity through special videoboard messages and announcements. Following the game, students will be invited to take their “Field Trip” onto the actual field at Rogers Centre where they will meet their Argonauts heroes as well as the Argos Cheerleaders during an Argonauts post-game tradition known as See You on the Field.

argofandave
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Good article. I just got my 5 free tickets in the mail today and they're the 5 seats beside my 3 season seats.

tc23
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I am along with OVER 30,000 STUDENTS CONFIRMED FOR ARGOS PRE-SEASON HOME GAME.

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/30000-students-confirmed-for-field-trip-to-argos-pre-season-home-game

ArgoGabe22
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
This may be the most full preseason game in any sport. Went to a Patriots game when I was in Boston and even that was dead.

Treblecharger1
06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow hopefully we can get 2-3,000 of our Season Seat holders out and we could have a decent crowd of around 33 -35k in the stands. It will be interesting to see how they distribute the tickets. Majority of season seat holders will not make the game we could have lots of spots down in the lower bowl.

1argoholic
06-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Glad I won't be there. 30,000 screeching rug rats. No thanks. Hopefully a few of them get their parents to bring them to some games.

ArgoRavi
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Glad I won't be there. 30,000 screeching rug rats. No thanks. Hopefully a few of them get their parents to bring them to some games.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines that adults may not have a great time at this game. It is a good initiative for the Argos though.

T-Bone
06-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Ya, it's going to be terrible to actually have some atmosphere in the building. I hope that doesn't happen at other games. :shhhh:

1argoholic
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
I have no issue with a huge loud crowd. I'm just not into that crowd being a bunch of kids. I do agree with what the Argos are doing and hopefully some of these kids want to come back. Not sure sceeching kids makes for great atmosphere either. Hopefully they know when to yell. Actually how do they know that all of these kids will show and not ditch and go home? Is this just young kids or teens as well?

T-Bone
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I have no issue with a huge loud crowd. I'm just not into that crowd being a bunch of kids. I do agree with what the Argos are doing and hopefully some of these kids want to come back. Not sure sceeching kids makes for great atmosphere either. Hopefully they know when to yell. Actually how do they know that all of these kids will show and not ditch and go home? Is this just young kids or teens as well?
Well you have a bit of a chicken or the egg situation here. How are you going to get the huge loud crowd if you don't get the screeching kids interested in the game first? Also how should they know when to yell if they don't go to the games? I hope those people with cheer signs that are out at the regular games will be there for this game to teach them. I assume most of the kids that are coming are still in school and the schools are arranging field trips. If a kid ditches it's really no different then if they ditch class, it's going to happen or it won't. I'm not sure what the age range of kids is that they sent tickets to.

CptArcher
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Well you have a bit of a chicken or the egg situation here. How are you going to get the huge loud crowd if you don't get the screeching kids interested in the game first? Also how should they know when to yell if they don't go to the games? I hope those people with cheer signs that are out at the regular games will be there for this game to teach them. I assume most of the kids that are coming are still in school and the schools are arranging field trips. If a kid ditches it's really no different then if they ditch class, it's going to happen or it won't. I'm not sure what the age range of kids is that they sent tickets to.
It will be interesting to see if the kids know when to cheer and when to quiet down. That being said, this is a great initiative for the Argos.

Those who don't like "screeching kids" must obviously hate themselves and the rest of humanity, who were all at one point, presumably, a screeching kids themselves.

argonaut11xx
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Those who don't like "screeching kids" must obviously hate themselves and the rest of humanity,

WOW..thats abit harsh...i know i once use the word "hate" on here and got chastized by another member....that said...

I think its a great idea for the Argo's...my guess is they only drew about 9000 fans to last years pre-season game, im curious if the REAL revenue will be much higher with all the free-bees?

The atmosphere will be great with 30K plus, no matter who they are or how old they are, any noise..is good noise !!!!

All that said i completely understand the comment about "screeching kids", maybe we should wait until after the game and have some of the older folks/fans who attended let us know if it was better or worse than being on a plane beside a crying baby...hahahaha

1argoholic
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
You're right I hate everything and everyone and I'm heading out to buy a big assed gun. F@#K!

Just because you don't want to be around screaming rug rats you hate life? Cpt your just such a special person who sounds pefect in every way. We should all strive to be more like you. You've become the Pinball Clements of this site. Good for you Cpt!! You're swell.

LLB997
06-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Those who don't like "screeching kids" must obviously hate themselves and the rest of humanity, who were all at one point, presumably, a screeching kids themselves.

Theres no call for that. My parents were great parents but at the same time had no patience for for my screaming. Its a right of passage when you are an adult and has nothing to do with hating anyone. Lets give our head a shake.

CptArcher
06-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Theres no call for that. My parents were great parents but at the same time had no patience for for my screaming. Its a right of passage when you are an adult and has nothing to do with hating anyone. Lets give our head a shake.
We were all kids, and we all had high pitched voices. I don't think a kid can help having a high pitch voice or needs to be hated for it. Do I hate people for the colour of their skin? Do I hate them for their dress? Do I hate people for the pitch of their voice? I like to think that only the most sexually frustrated/pathetic people among us get angry about things as puny in significance as the pitch of someones voice.
Don't like kids? Hate high pitched voices? Then do humanity a favour and don't have any.

1argoholic
06-14-2012, 01:31 AM
The only thing worse than 30 thousand screaming kids are the ones from other countries who dress funny. I am sexually frustrated as my wife and I are happily married with no children but are having too much great sex. I agree with your last line. I like life the way it is so we'll not have kids.

argonaut11xx
06-14-2012, 10:58 AM
We were all kids, and we all had high pitched voices. I don't think a kid can help having a high pitch voice or needs to be hated for it. Do I hate people for the colour of their skin? Do I hate them for their dress? Do I hate people for the pitch of their voice? I like to think that only the most sexually frustrated/pathetic people among us get angry about things as puny in significance as the pitch of someones voice.
Don't like kids? Hate high pitched voices? Then do humanity a favour and don't have any.

HOLY JACK LAYTON....thats just a little over the top "Cpt love"...

as for the comment about being sexually frusterated about the pitch of someones voice...i have to admit everytime i hear a song by Strawberry Alarmclock..i cringe, i hate that singers voice, (yes i said hate)...and its all about the sound of the singers "pitch"...so according to you im sexually frusterated?...hahaha...

Will
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
You know here we are during pre-season--the day after the first pre-season game--and the best we can argue about here is children with high-pitched voices?

No wonder things are so slow here.

T-Bone
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
You know here we are during pre-season--the day after the first pre-season game--and the best we can argue about here is children with high-pitched voices?

No wonder things are so slow here.
What I don't understand is why the assumption was made that these kids will be "screeching" and not cheering. Either way I'm looking forward to this game.

1argoholic
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
It's all just way to funny. I pictured 30,000 kids all hopped up and excited about being out on a great road trip. They tend to get wild in much smaller groups and now this post has hit the skids bigtime.
I hope this works for the Argos as a great marketing tool and that many kids become fans. Lets just hope the Argos give them something to scream about. Too bad it's not on tv.

AaronInToronto
06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll be there. I have my seasons, plus another 7 tickets in Section 110, row 27/28 (50 yard line). Bringing my 3 yr old and a couple friends. Still have a few tickets left if anyone wants them.

jerrym
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
I agree. The kids will help enliven the atmosphere along with an offence that in the first preseason game showed a lot excitement than engendered by last year's woeful offence.

Argocister
06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Call me an optimist,or call a bunch of you curmudgeons, but I think Tuesdays game will be lots of fun. Just to people watch and laugh at the kids and their antics. Hopefully, they can get into learning various cheers or hand gestures.( first down, D- fence, touchdown) Keep tabs on how long the wave will go on for...... which of those kids you see is you when you were that age. Wish I could go
:(

Of course I'd love to see the successful rookies playing .( that is those that survive the first cut) ..... Missing a preseason is hard because some of these guys will not see the field this year.... Or if they get to fill in some point it will be interesting seeing the improvements.
So the first cut gets the team down to 65 ....what does it go down to when the season starts?

ArgoRavi
06-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Call me an optimist,or call a bunch of you curmudgeons, but I think Tuesdays game will be lots of fun. Just to people watch and laugh at the kids and their antics. Hopefully, they can get into learning various cheers or hand gestures.( first down, D- fence, touchdown) Keep tabs on how long the wave will go on for...... which of those kids you see is you when you were that age. Wish I could go
:(

Of course I'd love to see the successful rookies playing .( that is those that survive the first cut) ..... Missing a preseason is hard because some of these guys will not see the field this year.... Or if they get to fill in some point it will be interesting seeing the improvements.
So the first cut gets the team down to 65 ....what does it go down to when the season starts?

The final roster consists of 46 players on the active roster with 42 playing in games. There will also be a 7 player practice roster and likely a few players on the game-to-game and 9-game injured lists. All in all, the Argos will probably keep 55-60 players around when you include these various lists.

Mulder
06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Maybe something like this will help educate the kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JCALPZCdI&feature=player_embedded

1argoholic
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
That was very good. I love it.

ArgoGabe22
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Football 101 with Jordan Younger
http://youtu.be/QgbUHvi74Og

argofandave
06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I've never heard anyone use the term "end line" when they're talking about the "goal line." Is this an American term? As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "free safety" in Canadian football. I've looked through several of my official CFL books and the term "safety" is always used not "free safety."

1argoholic
06-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Free because we live in Canada. Glad I'm Canadian and I'm Glad I'm Free, I Wish I was A Dog And Harper Was A Tree. hahaha. I love that one. First time I heard it was back when Trudeau was PM.

Argocister
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I've never heard anyone use the term "end line" when they're talking about the "goal line." Is this an American term? As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "free safety" in Canadian football. I've looked through several of my official CFL books and the term "safety" is always used not "free safety."

The depth charts on the various team websites all label the Safety position as "FS" unless that stands for friggin safety

argofandave
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I just looked at my 2011 CFL Facts, Figures, & Records book and it lists Willie Pile as the 2010 East All-Star "S" and James Patrick as the 2010 West All-Star "S" and it shows "S" for everyone who was ever an All-Star safety.

Argocister
06-16-2012, 12:13 AM
We are a bilingual country
:)

BATKINSON001
06-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I am planning on being there.

Will
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Wasn't the safety position also known as the rover at one point?

ArgoRavi
06-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Wasn't the safety position also known as the rover at one point?

Yes, it was commonly referred to as "rover" back in the 1980s.

Mulder
06-17-2012, 01:13 AM
"Neverest" is playing at half time of the preseason game. I first heard about them playing our national anthem at the NBA all star game.

Sadly, it's something you cannot unhear. I just hope they don't ruin our national anthem again.
P.S. Notice the look of disgust on Steve Nash's face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiCkLP5t4

1argoholic
06-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Just sing the bloody song as it was meant to be sung morons!!!

Will
06-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Just sing the bloody song as it was meant to be sung morons!!!

Nobody does that anymore thanks to Nikki Yanofsky at the Olympics. What ever happened to her anyways? After two weeks of CTV shoving that awful I Believe song down our throats she disappeared.

ArgoRavi
06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Nobody does that anymore thanks to Nikki Yanofsky at the Olympics. What ever happened to her anyways? After two weeks of CTV shoving that awful I Believe song down our throats she disappeared.

LOL, Will! Yanofsky is still around. I saw a feature on her a year or so ago on ABC's Nightline and I think that she is still considered to be a rising star. I do hope that I never have to hear that I Believe song ever again though.

Will
06-17-2012, 01:11 PM
LOL, Will! Yanofsky is still around. I saw a feature on her a year or so ago on ABC's Nightline and I think that she is still considered to be a rising star. I do hope that I never have to hear that I Believe song ever again though.

I don't know if they have her creating another abomination for the upcoming games in London. I remember you and I discussing our displeasure of Yanofsky on Facebook during the Vancouver games Ravi.

jerrym
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Love the idea of having 30,000 kids at the game. I remember in 1997 mentioning in one of the classes that I taught at university in Vancouver that I was a CFL fan. Many students thought that was the most hilarious joke that I made all year and joked about it all semester (and these were polite young people). At the time the CFL appeared to be on the verge of bankruptcy and they could not understand why anyone would prefer the CFL to NFL. When I mentioned last year that I was a CFL fan to the students, they generally felt that it was a reasonable alternative to the NFL but showed modest interest. In the early 1980s, many students and instructors had placed bets in a Grey Cup pool on the game's score, such was the interest in the game. The CFL lost a generation of fans in the 1980s and it has taken a long time to get back to respectability among the young. Getting young kids to a game is one of the best ways to develop their interest. I go to Lions games with my 58 year old best friend who started going to Argo games with his father in the 1960s and 1970s (unfortunately he became a Lions fan). When this is combined with the Argos ongoing anti-bullying campaign in the schools, I feel that these outreaches accomplish both educational and PR goals for the team and the community. Keep it up Argos and encourage other CFL teams to do the same!

1argoholic
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Hopefully many kids have a blast and tell there parents to take them to some games. I mom took me to my first games back in the late 60's and early 70's. Then I got Scotia Bank cheap seasons for many years before having decent seats at the dome. As I tell my wife, The CFL is my first love. haha. Good thing is that's it's hers as well. She was close to being born at McMahon.

QBall
06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I'll be there tomorrow playing with the Argonotes. Not sure how many Argonotes will be there tomorrow, but you can count on us to do out best regardless.

ArgoZ
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I'll be there tomorrow playing with the Argonotes. Not sure how many Argonotes will be there tomorrow, but you can count on us to do out best regardless.

Love walking by the Argonotes post game victory celebration on the way to my car. Good times. Hopefully many this year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8