PDA

View Full Version : Micheal O'Connor, and our QB pool

argonaut11xx
05-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Just curious from the folks who have had the pleasure of attending training camp this year, how does O'Connor look?

We all know this is Franklin's team to start, and I think he will do very well.

My hope is Franklin #1, Bridge #2, O'Connor #3

I think O'Connor is behind Bridge at this point, but has far more upside.

MBT, too old to waste any time/investment on IMO.

What have the QB's looked like in camp so far?

Argo57
05-26-2019, 09:00 PM
MBT gained a lot of CFL experience last season and is a veteran QB who can capably manage a game which IMO makes him a much better option as a backup QB than Bridge.

AngeloV
05-26-2019, 09:07 PM
I was there for the last 2 hours of practice Saturday. O’Connor took no scrimmage reps. As I reported on another thread in the CFL room, MBT had a great practice and didn’t miss one throw. Bridge and Prukop were both pretty bad with Bridge just having brutal accuracy and Prukop seemed confused a lot and held on to the ball for way too much time. It’s pretty obvious to me the battle is on for #2 and O’Connor will be having a development year. At this point, MBT is head and shoulders the top guy for #2, but it is early. If Bridge doesn’t play really well in the pre season, I think he will be cut.

OV Argo
05-26-2019, 11:13 PM
MBT gained a lot of CFL experience last season and is a veteran QB who can capably manage a game which IMO makes him a much better option as a backup QB than Bridge.

Guess it depends on what you expect out of your back-up QB; a mediocre game manager - shoulda signed that stiff Kevin Glenn - lots of experience.

paulwoods13
05-27-2019, 01:50 AM
The backup qb needs to be able to step in and help the team win some games if the starter is injured. If guys are equal, go with the younger player. If not equal, go with the better player. Just common sense. If MBT is clearly better than the others vying for No. 2, he should get the job. Open competition and all.

Argo57
05-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Guess it depends on what you expect out of your back-up QB; a mediocre game manager - shoulda signed that stiff Kevin Glenn - lots of experience.

Still a much better option than Bridge.

argonaut11xx
05-27-2019, 11:14 AM
I was there for the last 2 hours of practice Saturday. O’Connor took no scrimmage reps. As I reported on another thread in the CFL room, MBT had a great practice and didn’t miss one throw. Bridge and Prukop were both pretty bad with Bridge just having brutal accuracy and Prukop seemed confused a lot and held on to the ball for way too much time. It’s pretty obvious to me the battle is on for #2 and O’Connor will be having a development year. At this point, MBT is head and shoulders the top guy for #2, but it is early. If Bridge doesn’t play really well in the pre season, I think he will be cut.

Ang, you called Bridge a few years back, I as hoping he would develop but sounds like he is same old same old. Too Bad

MBT, sounds like we are investing in senior citizen as a backup, who is NEVER going to win us any game of importance. Do you think Prokup may be an option for #2?

I'm most interested in O'Connor, does he look as if he just needs experience? or is he out of sorts in a pro style offence? He sure was impressive last year in college

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Ang, you called Bridge a few years back, I as hoping he would develop but sounds like he is same old same old. Too Bad

MBT, sounds like we are investing in senior citizen as a backup, who is NEVER going to win us any game of importance. Do you think Prokup may be an option for #2?

I'm most interested in O'Connor, does he look as if he just needs experience? or is he out of sorts in a pro style offence? He sure was impressive last year in college

I think it’s unrealistic to expect a 50% passer in college to become an accurate passer in the pros. What Bridge has is big play ability. But how long can you wait for consistency? As I said, he really needs to look good in pre season or he will be released.

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Will Popp be the Branch Rickey of the CFL, and is O'Connor the man? I think Popp was willing to do it the second time around in Montreal for Kyle Quinlan but Quinlan wouldn't believe it. There are six Canadian QBs in camps, someone has got to stick around.

Wobbler
05-27-2019, 02:07 PM
What Bridge has is but play ability.
I'm not going to ask whether you meant "big" or "butt" in that sentence. It's more fun not knowing.

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 02:58 PM
I'm not going to ask whether you meant "big" or "butt" in that sentence. It's more fun not knowing.

LOL...Iphone sucks on forums. Yes..BIG play.

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Will Popp be the Branch Rickey of the CFL, and is O'Connor the man? I think Popp was willing to do it the second time around in Montreal for Kyle Quinlan but Quinlan wouldn't believe it. There are six Canadian QBs in camps, someone has got to stick around.

I think O'Connor will stick, and get some pre-season action, but will likely be developed for a year before being a regular on the roster.

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 03:13 PM
I think O'Connor will stick, and get some pre-season action, but will likely be developed for a year before being a regular on the roster.I think so too. I think Hugo Richard will stick around in Mtl, maybe as a receiver. I think Merchant may be the odd man out unfortunately.

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 04:20 PM
I think so too. I think Hugo Richard will stick around in Mtl, maybe as a receiver. I think Merchant may be the odd man out unfortunately.

I think Merchant is the better athlete, so if a position change is in order, I would think he would be the guy.

R.J
05-27-2019, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Franklin as #1, Bethel-Thompson as #2, Prukop as #3, and O'Connor as #4 (Development QB).

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 05:55 PM
I think so too. I think Hugo Richard will stick around in Mtl, maybe as a receiver. I think Merchant may be the odd man out unfortunately.

Just curious why either of Richard or Merchant would stick in the CFL as a receiver ? Because of the example of Sinopoli I guess mostly ? - but Sinopoli spent 2 seasons as a Stamps QB before he was told he had to make the switch to try receiver (no choice - was not in the plans at QB anymore) - and Sinopoli is taller and has arguably much better athletic testing #s than Merchant and Richard - from Combine testing (Sinopoli only ran a 4.73 forty, but his 6.81 3 Cone quickness # - - is outstanding for any position); the chance or odds that either of Richard or Merchant make the kind of amazingly successful switch (greatest position switch in the history of pro football IMO) that Sinoploi did are probably something like 100,000 : 1 And Richard or Merchant are supposed to better receiver talents than some of the accomplished / all-star Canadian receivers the Als have (K-J Grant) or could have drafted lately ??? - likely not in the same area code in receiving skills - now or ever.

I get that some want to see some of these Canadian QBs succeed in the CFL, but the deference to - oh they might have to make a position switch - you know what kind of CFL thinking - I find questionable to more like laughable. Merchant or Richard or O'Connor deserve real CFL shots at their real position = QB; and repeat shots with other CFL teams if they don't make the 1st team they tried out for - dozens of young import QBs get those chances.

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Still a much better option than Bridge.

Who ? - MacBeth ? - guess you could argue that

Kevin Glenn ??? - try comparing his play to Bridge's when they both faced the Argos in the same play-off game a couple of years back - that was the real Kevin Glenn then and now he's probably worse = just brutal.

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Zero mention of Picton at QB (that i've seen) - does he get to even throw a pass in camp? Him and O'Connor don't get to participate in scrimmages ? Will either play a down in either of the ex. games ? WTF was the point of bringing them to TC?

Argo57
05-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Who ? - MacBeth ? - guess you could argue that

Kevin Glenn ??? - try comparing his play to Bridge's when they both faced the Argos in the same play-off game a couple of years back - that was the real Kevin Glenn then and now he's probably worse = just brutal.

MBT, wasn’t talking about Glenn.

Argo57
05-27-2019, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Franklin as #1, Bethel-Thompson as #2, Prukop as #3, and O'Connor as #4 (Development QB).

This may very well be how this plays out although somewhat disappointing to hear how Prukop has performed so far.

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 07:19 PM
This may very well be how this plays out although somewhat disappointing to hear how Prukop has performed so far.There were some saying that O'Connor might have even had a shot at number 2 from the get go.

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 07:27 PM
There were some saying that O'Connor might have even had a shot at number 2 from the get go.

Not sure who was saying that ?

Pretty hard to impress or make the roster if you don't get some significant reps in TC or some decent playing time in ex. games.

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 07:28 PM
I get that some want to see some of these Canadian QBs succeed in the CFL, but the deference to - oh they might have to make a position switch - you know what kind of CFL thinking - I find questionable to more like laughable. Merchant or Richard or O'Connor deserve real CFL shots at their real position = QB; and repeat shots with other CFL teams if they don't make the 1st team they tried out for - dozens of young import QBs get those chances.I'm certainly not saying they don't merit long looks at QB but when Merchant is asked by every team that interviews him if he is willing to play another position that makes you think. It certainly isn't a rarity for a CIS QB to be asked to play another position. Mathieu Bertrand comes to mind

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 07:39 PM
Not sure who was saying that ?

Pretty hard to impress or make the roster if you don't get some significant reps in TC or some decent playing time in ex. games.Canadian QB Michael O’Connor has scouts believing he should get an NFL shot (https://3downnation.com/2019/04/05/canadian-qb-michael-oconnor-has-scouts-believing-he-should-get-an-nfl-shot/)
3Down Staff April 5, 2019

Canadian quarterback Michael O’Connor has scouts believing he should get an NFL shot.

“I think he’s definitely talented enough. We’ll see what he does with his opportunity,” Seattle Seahawks scout Jordan Roberts said after the University of British Columbia pro day.

“I think he’s talented enough it just depends on what happens with the draft and where teams line up and all that and how teams value him.”

Seeing O’Connor live at his current stage has teams buzzing about prototypical quarterback size and special arm talent. There are going to be scouts and coaches who look at O’Connor just because of his frame and the background he has in four-down football from Baylor School in Tennessee, IMG Academy in Florida and earning a scholarship to Penn State University.

“He’s a very bright kid, he’s very smart and that’s very exciting. All the coaches and scouts talk very highly of him, his intelligence and his preparation is something that was always brought up with coaches that I’ve talked to here,” Roberts said.

“He’s definitely talented, he’s got a really quick release and he’s got the frame that you’re looking for and he’s a really exciting prospect.”

The UBC pro day was the second workout of the week in front of pro scouts for O’Connor, who threw at the NFL International Player Pathway Pro Day held at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers training facility on April 1 in front of scouts from more than 10 NFL teams.

At the end of March, O’Connor put his skills on display for every team in the CFL at the league’s annual national combine. Edmonton Eskimos head coach Jason Maas saw O’Connor throw live for the first time at the event in Toronto and after travelling to watch his pro day live believes the standout pivot “absolutely” has a chance to be a great Canadian QB.

“He just needs a chance, an opportunity. You never know when you’re going to get that in the pro game, so he’s gotta be ready for it, but he’s doing all the things to prepare for that. Obviously a great college career, you could see the work ethic he’s put in every day, it’s showing in his drills. He looks calm and collected and he looks like a leader when he’s out there, so that’s kind of the little things that you’re looking for – consistency. I’ve seen him throw twice now live and it looks the same, so that’s what you’re looking for,” Maas said.

“First you start with his size and smarts, watching him on film you see it in person how personable he is with his players, the command he has on the field leadership-wise, you can see that. Watching the arm strength and the accuracy that he has, great feet, good size – I think he’s going to translate very well to the pro level. His film doesn’t lie, you watch the film – smart. accurate and tough and consistent – I think he can do all those things.”

The B.C. Lions had a large contingent of coaches and evaluators in attendance to watch O’Connor in Vancouver. As CFL scouts dig into O’Connor, there is a growing belief he could earn a roster spot and even be a backup quarterback in the league from the jump.

“He’s very different, he’s very special. He’s a guy that has great upside and has great ability. His lineage going to IMG, going to Penn State, then coming here and winning a national championship and then his production level. Some of the tools he has: he’s a big kid, he’s fluid, he has a great football IQ,” Geroy Simon, Lions director of Canadian scouting, said.

“He definitely is different than most kids that come out of USports.”

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Zero mention of Picton at QB (that i've seen) - does he get to even throw a pass in camp? Him and O'Connor don't get to participate in scrimmages ? Will either play a down in either of the ex. games ? WTF was the point of bringing them to TC?

Just because they didn't scrimmage in the 2nd half of the practice I attended, doesn't mean they don't get any reps. Picton is not going to make the team. I guarantee that. I think he knows that and is taking the experience to perhaps kickstart a career in coaching. You can see he has a very strong arm though.

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Is it fair to say that the Canadian QBs have the best chance in Mtl and Tor because neither team has a truly established QB unlike most of the other teams (except Ottawa)

bannedforlife
05-27-2019, 07:55 PM
You can see he has a very strong arm though.Just curious, how does that stack up against the others?

argonaut11xx
05-27-2019, 07:57 PM

Noah Picton was fun to watch, but sadly he makes Doug Flutie look like Andre The Giant. He is too small for pro football.

MBT, why waste a year of experience for a young guy by keeping him? Its Franklin's year, if he goes down MBT is not winning the Argo's a Grey Cup in relief, or a playoff game, so why invest in him?

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 08:54 PM
Noah Picton was fun to watch, but sadly he makes Doug Flutie look like Andre The Giant. He is too small for pro football.

MBT, why waste a year of experience for a young guy by keeping him? Its Franklin's year, if he goes down MBT is not winning the Argo's a Grey Cup in relief, or a playoff game, so why invest in him?

Flutie was generously listed at 5-10, but more like 5-9; Picton is 5-9 to 5-8 = yeah, so HUGE difference.

OV Argo
05-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Is it fair to say that the Canadian QBs have the best chance in Mtl and Tor because neither team has a truly established QB unlike most of the other teams (except Ottawa)

They aren't realistically competing for starting jobs though; pretty well ALL other CFL teams have zip-0 proven at #s 2 or 3 though.

Teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, BC, Calgary, Hamilton, Sask. have huge need for QB competition - and they were NOT interested in O'Connor, Merchant, Richard (neither of the latter 2 were CFL drafted - not in any round - while all sorts of reach to questionable/laughable picks happen instead in later rounds.)

QBs Nathan Rourke & Adam Sinagra will be up next CFL draft - look for continued GOB lack of serious interest there = no real TC shot for a bunch of CFL teams that will be in more serious need for TC competition.

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Flutie was generously listed at 5-10, but more like 5-9; Picton is 5-9 to 5-8 = yeah, so HUGE difference.

Having seen both Flutie and Picton up close, I would say Flutie is at least 3 inches taller. There is no way Picton is 5'8".

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 10:42 PM
They aren't realistically competing for starting jobs though; pretty well ALL other CFL teams have zip-0 proven at #s 2 or 3 though.

Teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, BC, Calgary, Hamilton, Sask. have huge need for QB competition - and they were NOT interested in O'Connor, Merchant, Richard (neither of the latter 2 were CFL drafted - not in any round - while all sorts of reach to questionable/laughable picks happen instead in later rounds.)

QBs Nathan Rourke & Adam Sinagra will be up next CFL draft - look for continued GOB lack of serious interest there = no real TC shot for a bunch of CFL teams that will be in more serious need for TC competition.

Franklin, MBT, hell even guys like Dave Dickenson, Matt Dunnigan, Tracy Ham, etc. in the past never really competed for starting jobs when they first came into the league.

OV Argo
05-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Franklin, MBT, hell even guys like Dave Dickenson, Matt Dunnigan, Tracy Ham, etc. in the past never really competed for starting jobs when they first came into the league.

Yep.

However- the point is, teams that have proven starting QBs and maybe some experienced or highly touted young back-ups might not be seriously looking for new QBs to compete in TC. And almost all CFL teams now have next to nothing in proven QB depth - and the 2 teams that brought in some young Canadian QBs for TC - Montreal & the Argos - arguably have more QB depth & experience (Franklin & MacBeth for the Argos; the Als already had 4 QBs - Pipkin, Adams, Matthews, Shiltz - who have started in the league) than all the other teams = why would they be the ones to sign a couple of Canadian QBs for supposed try-outs ? Why did the other teams with huge QB need have zero interest in Richard, O'Connor, Picton, Merchant ?

O'Connor might get a shot to stick on the Argos PR and learn & develop this year; maybe it works out or maybe he is gone like Brannagan after one season; the notion that he was going to get a real shot to compete for a QB spot anywhere on the depth chart was nice in theory, but in reality - nope; just like very highly doubtful that either of Richard or Merchant are going to get a real shot with the Als.

OV Argo
05-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Having seen both Flutie and Picton up close, I would say Flutie is at least 3 inches taller. There is no way Picton is 5'8".

2018 CFL Combine results - Noah Picton measured 5' 8.8" (so closer to 5' 9") ... maybe they measured wrong; maybe Doug Flutie is more like 6-5 or as big as Andre the Giant.

You keep believing what you wish though.

AngeloV
05-28-2019, 12:16 PM
2018 CFL Combine results - Noah Picton measured 5' 8.8" (so closer to 5' 9") ... maybe they measured wrong; maybe Doug Flutie is more like 6-5 or as big as Andre the Giant.

You keep believing what you wish though.

You're right. The CFL is nothing but a huge conspiracy against Canadians.

doubleblue
05-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Especially if they're not good enough.

ArgoZ
05-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Football heights have been debated for years. Flutie has been a famous one as he’s listed incorrectly at 5’10”. He is 5’9”, maybe a touch under. I have stood beside him many times in my old Superfandom and I am 5’10”.

OV Argo
05-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Afraid to discuss a subject if you are proven wrong ? - that's OK though.

And I just love it when you establishment cheerleaders pull out the "what conspiracy" card when you are facing a debate you can't grasp or discuss rationally - so thanks for the laugh there. But BTW just who - here or anywhere - is claiming there is some sort of CFL conspiracy - GOBs holding clandestine meetings with nefarious plots somewhere - against Canadian QBs or other Canadians ? Is Oliver Stone writing the screen-play for the movie on the subject as we speak ? ;o)

Look for O'Connor to get a good number of series to play QB in the upcoming Argo ex. games (I don't expect to see Picton - his "try-out" was more some sort of PR stunt or GOB attempt to create a feel good story for the little Canadian guy); same deal for Richard & Merchant with the Als; we shall see what kind of "try-out" these "not good enough" Canadian QBs are getting with these 2 teams.

AngeloV
05-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Afraid to discuss a subject if you are proven wrong ? - that's OK though.

No, just tired of getting sucked into the same old dialogue which you have posted thousands of times before. I blame myself for allowing this.

bannedforlife
05-28-2019, 07:55 PM
I was once much in agreement with OV Argo but now much less so. One guy in camp throughout the league might be a token, but 6? While I still don't think the GOB (as OV Argo would say) realize the value that a Canadian trained QB would bring, there might be a guy like Jim Popp who does seem to get it.

Ask yourself why we still revere Russ Jackson, there have been lots of great QBs over the past 60 years. It's much more than he was a good QB, we see him as the Dragon Slayer, the man who took on the "invincible Americans" Ok, maybe I'm being a little over the top there, but take some time to think why he is still beloved after 60 years and no one can convince me that it wasn't because he was Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXgI0zKdMk

bannedforlife
05-28-2019, 08:04 PM
If the Als can get new ownership soon, I can easily see Hugo Richard becoming part of that team going forward. Maybe not at QB though. I think one thing for a Canadian QB will need to make it is perseverance. They just have to claw and scratch to stick around until they can catch a break, that's how Russ Jackson and Gerry Dattilio made it. Bridge and O'Connor we are oft told have the skillset, do they have the drive to stick with it, making no money, when they could easily quit and probably earn more doing something else.

OV Argo
05-28-2019, 09:52 PM
I was once much in agreement with OV Argo but now much less so. One guy in camp throughout the league might be a token, but 6? While I still don't think the GOB (as OV Argo would say) realize the value that a Canadian trained QB would bring, there might be a guy like Jim Popp who does seem to get it.

Ask yourself why we still revere Russ Jackson, there have been lots of great QBs over the past 60 years. It's much more than he was a good QB, we see him as the Dragon Slayer, the man who took on the "invincible Americans" Ok, maybe I'm being a little over the top there, but take some time to think why he is still beloved after 60 years and no one can convince me that it wasn't because he was Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXgI0zKdMk

6 Canadian QBs in CFL TCs ? - but on 2 different teams who i tired to explain, arguably have the least need for extra QB competition ? Bridge is going to get some sort of shot - based on CFL experience, plus size/athleticism/rocket arm + US college ball training. BUT - we shall see if any of those other 5 get any sort or real look = and that would be evidenced by TC reps + ex. game playing time (IMO); i think O'Connor got drafted with the notion that he is a good QB talent who could develop with some PR/camp experience; I bought into the notion that he might be in the QB competition mix right away for the Argos, but now i think that was expecting too much from typical CFL thinking.

As for Russ Jackson - the guy was a freak of a QB talent and IMO arguably the best CFL QB of all-time (up there with Flutie & Moon) - expecting another Canadian QB to be anywhere near that good is like hoping another Bobby Orr defenceman level talent emerges in the NHL - good luck with that. Russ might have had to work his way up in the CFL from probably not that highly regarded at first, plus QBs had to maybe be able to play some both ways back in those days - and that latter situation is long gone. He did eventually get a shot to play QB with Ottawa = that's what it takes; and CFL rosters of those days featured more Canadian players in the mix - that has changed too. Jacskon might have been beloved as a Canadian football star by some but it was mostly because he was such an outstanding QB talent; fans of other teams still love great American QBs of their teams - Lancaster or Calvillo or Moon or Brock, etc.

argolio
05-28-2019, 11:59 PM
For me, there's a clear separation in camp between Franklin & MBT, and Bridge & Prukop. Bridge is inconsistent at best, but Prukop looks lost. I can't see them both making the team.

Shatto
05-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Jackson was one of the truly great QB's in CFL history. But it was not an overnight success, though he did have a modicum of early success. When he came to Ottawa as a rookie in 58, the team already had Tom Dimitroff as the starter and Hal Ledyard as the 2nd QB. Only after both were injured, did Jackson take over as QB for the team and got the team to the Eastern final.

The next year (59) Ottawa's starting QB was Frank Tripucka and only after the team when winless in the 1st five games did Jackson take over as the starting QB. Even though Jackson was the starting QB after that, he still had to share the QBing duties with another future HOF player ---Ron Lancaster, until Lancaster was traded to Sask.

I mention the above to illustrate that even as great as Jackson was, he did not achieve the sole starting role of QB until a few years into his career. In fact, when he first went to Ottawa as a rookie, he was supposed to be a DB. Though Jackson had both zip and accuracy with his passes, one of the chief reasons he was so successful was his mobility and running ability. He ran for over 5,000 yards during his 12 year career.

To expect O'Connor to be the 2nd coming of Russ Jackson is unfair. To begin with, though he has the potential passing skills and strengths, he is nowhere near as mobile or as fast as Jackson. Let's hope O'Connor is given the time and experience to develop his particular skills and that he does develop into a very good CFL QB

Just an aside ---after watching all the CFL QB greats for well over half a century, IMO, Jackson and Flutie are 2 of the 3 greatest ever CFL QB's The best, in his prime, was Jackie Parker. He wasn't just the best in the CFL but the best either side of the border.

jerrym
05-29-2019, 02:52 AM
It looks like the fight for the third QB spot is between Prukop and Bridge with O'Connor having a development year.

BantOarsman
05-29-2019, 02:09 PM
It looks like the fight for the third QB spot is between Prukop and Bridge with O'Connor having a development year.

I think Bridge is well ahead of Prukop (though also clearly behind MBT). I imagine only one of Bridge and MBT make the team--even with MBT clearly ahead, I think he could be the one to get released. There's very little upside with him at #2.

Wobbler
05-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Do we need upside in a #2 QB? Franklin is 27, and might play for another 10 years. For the #2, I'd say the ability to play well *now* is much more important than anything else.

paulwoods13
05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
The areas where Bridge seems to have a clear edge on MBT are age, arm strength and mobility. MBT may have an edge in other areas such as accuracy, touch and leadership. Neither has at this point exhibited the likelihood of developing into a full-time starter, but Bridge is still young and inexperienced enough that it is not outside the realm of possibility. Notwithstanding all that, I feel our No. 2 needs to be whomever gives us the best chance to stay competitive in the event of an injury to Franklin. No. 3 should be a guy with long-term potential who would benefit from being on the roster and contributing in some way (likely as a holder and/or short-yardage guy). I agree with the idea that it's likely between Bridge and MBT for No. 2. Is one of the young guys capable of being No. 3 or will the loser of Bridge vs. MBT end up in that role? I'd love to see O'Connor earn a roster spot (likely as No. 3 for this year) but have no idea if he's ready for that yet.

argonaut11xx
05-30-2019, 01:58 PM
O'Connors stat line was 4/5 29 yds, with 1 TD pass.

Bridge had the best stats, and MBT was a close second.

In fact all the QB's had decent numbers, was the MTL defence that bad?, or did the QB look that good?

doubleblue
05-30-2019, 02:38 PM

In fact all the QB's had decent numbers, was the MTL defence that bad?, or did the QB look that good?

Probably both. From the Montreal broadcast it sounded like O'Conner did ok. Stood in there and took a hard hit to complete a pass. Also said he hit a small window to complete the TD he threw. Sounded impressive for a Canadian rookie playing with back ups.
I'm sure the QB's will all get more of a challenge next week in Hamilton.

1971GreyCup
05-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Hard to say with MTL 4th team D on the field at that point.

CrazyCanuck89
05-30-2019, 04:23 PM

I don't think Montreal brought many of their defensive starters. Their entire linebacking corps were backups.

Argo57
06-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Argos just released Noah Picton (no surprise).
https://3downnation.com/2019/06/01/argos-release-canadian-qb-noah-picton/

bannedforlife
06-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Argos shopping Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge (https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-shopping-canadian-quarterback-brandon-bridge/)
Justin Dunk 3downnation June 7, 2019

Will
06-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Argos shopping Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge (https://3downnation.com/2019/06/07/argos-shopping-canadian-quarterback-brandon-bridge/)

I wonder if anyone will bite or just wait until he's released.

AngeloV
06-08-2019, 11:06 AM
I wonder if anyone will bite or just wait until he's released.

Almost impossible to trade a guy on cutdown day. The only way they trade him is if they take a chance and keep him on the roster. I say he gets released

OV Argo
06-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Apparently, Prukop has more QB talent or "upside" over Bridge ?

Anybody believe the Argos are going anywhere (like the play-offs) if they have to resort to MacBeth at QB if Franklin falters or gets injured ?

paulwoods13
06-08-2019, 11:32 AM
MBT has been lights out in both his exhibition appearances. Bridge was good in Game 1, not good in Game 2. His INT was thrown off his back foot, a very bad mechanical error for a guy with that much experience. Prukop was terrible in Game 1, and only marginally better in Game 2. But he likely makes a lot less than Bridge, which also factors into things. And cutting or trading Bridge opens a spot for O'Connor, who IMO has much more potential than either Bridge or Prukop. I expect Bridge will end up somewhere as a backup.

Wobbler
06-08-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm not yet convinced that we're going anywhere with Franklin (who isn't significantly better than MBT IMO), OV.

But the offense looks better this year, and that will help whoever plays QB. If the defense plays well, this is a playoff team - with either guy at the helm.

argolio
06-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Anybody believe the Argos are going anywhere (like the play-offs) if they have to resort to MacBeth at QB if Franklin falters or gets injured ?No one knows, but MBT clearly outplayed Bridge and Prukop every time I was at camp, and that translated to pre-season. Pretty impressive for someone I thought would struggle to make the team.

Argo57
06-08-2019, 12:22 PM
No one knows, but MBT clearly outplayed Bridge and Prukop every time I was at camp, and that translated to pre-season. Pretty impressive for someone I thought would struggle to make the team.

Agree with this, I’m much more comfortable with MBT as a backup than Bridge.

bannedforlife
06-08-2019, 01:11 PM
MBT has been lights out in both his exhibition appearances. Bridge was good in Game 1, not good in Game 2. His INT was thrown off his back foot, a very bad mechanical error for a guy with that much experience. Prukop was terrible in Game 1, and only marginally better in Game 2. But he likely makes a lot less than Bridge, which also factors into things. And cutting or trading Bridge opens a spot for O'Connor, who IMO has much more potential than either Bridge or Prukop. I expect Bridge will end up somewhere as a backup.I think that is how it will play out as well. I get this feeling, and people may disagree, that judging by his history, Popp wants to be the guy who will be able to have the first great regular Canadian starter (since the good old days) That's ironic considering the status of Bridge but Bridge just doesn't seem to be the guy, and maybe O'Connor is.

AngeloV
06-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Apparently, Prukop has more QB talent or "upside" over Bridge ?

Anybody believe the Argos are going anywhere (like the play-offs) if they have to resort to MacBeth at QB if Franklin falters or gets injured ?

You're the guy that always asks for "real" competition and when it doesn't go the way you like you do this? No wonder nobody takes your posts seriously.

AngeloV
06-08-2019, 03:25 PM
MBT has been lights out in both his exhibition appearances. Bridge was good in Game 1, not good in Game 2. His INT was thrown off his back foot, a very bad mechanical error for a guy with that much experience. Prukop was terrible in Game 1, and only marginally better in Game 2. But he likely makes a lot less than Bridge, which also factors into things. And cutting or trading Bridge opens a spot for O'Connor, who IMO has much more potential than either Bridge or Prukop. I expect Bridge will end up somewhere as a backup.

I disagree that Prukop was only marginally better in the 2nd game. He looked lost in the 1st one, and was making quick decisions in the 2nd. Yes it was an outstanding catch by Watson for the TD, but the ball was catchable, and he mad a good read. Also had a chance at a 2nd TD pass, but rookie Gittens just had it slip off his fingers. Would have been a great catch, but was catchable. Not saying he is going to be a star, but he progressed from last week to this week, and I say more than just marginally.

paulwoods13
06-08-2019, 03:29 PM
You're the guy that always asks for "real" competition and when it doesn't go the way you like you do this? No wonder nobody takes your posts seriously.

1. There is nothing wrong with bringing five or six QBs to camp. Check.

2. As long as there is a real competition, and spots are decided based on how they perform in camp and on the field, not on their nationality. Check.

3. Canadian QBs deserve a legitimate shot. Check.

4. Regardless of all that, my guy should get handed a spot. Oops.

paulwoods13
06-08-2019, 03:31 PM
I disagree that Prukop was only marginally better in the 2nd game. He looked lost in the 1st one, and was making quick decisions in the 2nd. Yes it was an outstanding catch by Watson for the TD, but the ball was catchable, and he mad a good read. Also had a chance at a 2nd TD pass, but rookie Gittens just had it slip off his fingers. Would have been a great catch, but was catchable. Not saying he is going to be a star, but he progressed from last week to this week, and I say more than just marginally.

Fair enough. I thought he still looked a bit freaked out, but a lot of the time he was down at the other end of the field from where I was sitting, so I may have misread it.

R.J
06-08-2019, 04:23 PM
I think I'm probably McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson biggest detractor, but even I'll say that I'd happily take him over Bridge as the Argos #2 QB. Would I want McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson to ever be the starter ? Hell no, but I think he's a serviceable back-up. As I stated in a previous post, I'd have no issue with #1. Franklin, #2. Bethel-Thompson, #3. Prukop, and #4. O'Connor.

One thing to keep in mind about Prukop is that under Trestman he didn't get reps or even "mental reps" with the way Trestman did things, and he's been very noticeable talking to the coaches and especially Chapdelaine during practices from what I've seen this season. I loathe Milanovich, but I always gave him credit for how he did things with the QB's - Ray always got the first team reps, but Milanovich made sure the other QB's were taking mental reps behind him, and Milanovich was always noticeable talking to Collaros and Harris about the different options for most plays. Milanovich made sure his young guys were learning - Trestman only paid attention to the Vet QB's, and keep in mind the same thing happened in Montreal.

OV Argo
06-08-2019, 09:18 PM
1. There is nothing wrong with bringing five or six QBs to camp. Check.

2. As long as there is a real competition, and spots are decided based on how they perform in camp and on the field, not on their nationality. Check.

3. Canadian QBs deserve a legitimate shot. Check.

4. Regardless of all that, my guy should get handed a spot. Oops.

Check, check - check this out - credit - Max Webster.

Merchant & Richard got legit shots to make the Als QB depth chart ? - check.

Whatever the Argos braintrust does is bang-on and don't dare question it one iota ? = check

GOB pom pom wavers sign-up here for approval - check !

:shhhh:

R.J
06-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Brandon Bridge is among the Argos cuts. To put it mildly, I'm not surprised, and it wouldn't surprise me if his days as a CFL QB are over.

jerrym
06-09-2019, 01:01 AM
I suspect he could be back as a third string backup when the usual string of QB injuries hit the league.

paulwoods13
06-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Check, check - check this out - credit - Max Webster.

Merchant & Richard got legit shots to make the Als QB depth chart ? - check.

Whatever the Argos braintrust does is bang-on and don't dare question it one iota ? = check

GOB pom pom wavers sign-up here for approval - check !

:shhhh:

Change the subject rather than respond directly, and throw out an insult for good measure. Check (as usual).

OV Argo
06-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Change the subject rather than respond directly, and throw out an insult for good measure. Check (as usual).

Respond directly to what ? - your attempt at comedy or sarcasm of a post ?

I have already stated here - i think it's a smart idea for a CFL team with big QB issues or depth concerns to bring 5 or 6 QBs to TC; and, I have said repeatedly that it would be nice for Canadian QBs (or all young NIs for that matter) to get REAL, honest shots to compete at their positions and for TC performance to be the main determining factor there. You didn't get that or were you just repeating what I said for some reason ? BTW - who is "my guy" in this story ? - did I somewhere/ somehow on this forum state that Bridge should be handed an Argo QB job or that he is way better than Fajardo (who i said of it would be nice to see him play quite a bit in ex. games) ? ; and I have stated here before that Bridge crapped the bed big-time in a big play-off game shot with the Riders last season - like to see him improve or do well with the Argos, but if he is not as good as other QBs in camp, he gets cut

The coaching staff has a lot of tough decisions to make for the roster; some I might disagree with or maybe be disappointed in, and this is an Argo fan forum to discuss these topics. Sorry bout that though, and that I can't just be a get with the program, don't dare question anything the Argo owners or coaches do / establishment cheerleader like you. Have at er though - check !

bannedforlife
06-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Seeing how Michael O'Connor is part of the title of this thread how about some news or TC sightings. Frankly, he is THE story (for me) on the Argos right now and for the future.

Shatto
06-13-2019, 11:24 PM
Did I hear correctly on tonight's broadcast that starting next year, the rosters will have 2 rather than 3 QB's? Or was dreaming?

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 12:18 AM
Did I hear correctly on tonight's broadcast that starting next year, the rosters will have 2 rather than 3 QB's? Or was dreaming?

Yes. Not a good move IMO.

Shatto
06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
It is somewhat disappointing to hear of the reduction of QB's to only two, starting next year, as this could be a hindrance to the development of young Canadian QB's.

It reflects the situation in the 50's and 60's when teams would have two QB's but have a third player as an emergency QB but actually he would be an active player in another position such as a DB.

Seems to be a backward move for our game. Did anyone read an explanation or justification for this roster change?

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
It is somewhat disappointing to hear of the reduction of QB's to only two, starting next year, as this could be a hindrance to the development of young Canadian QB's.

It reflects the situation in the 50's and 60's when teams would have two QB's but have a third player as an emergency QB but actually he would be an active player in another position such as a DB.

Seems to be a backward move for our game. Did anyone read an explanation or justification for this roster change?

I agree. Game day rosters are now big enough where there is absolutely no need to do this. IMO, coaches will use this to add even more substitutions from play to play on both O and D, and to me, it's a direct result of why the CFL runs less plays than it used to. The game clock is running while the officials allow for substitutions, but the play clock is not. This is also why I call BS to those that claim the CFL play clock is more challenging than the NFL. You quite often see 30-40 seconds tick off the game clock between plays in the CFL.

doubleblue
06-14-2019, 03:44 PM
I would like to hear the full story on this plan. Saskatchewan showed last night where the need for three QB's was required. Prukop as Argos 3rd string QB at the moment could probably play some safety in the pinch, as he already plays on special teams. However, as one of the three designated QB's right now he can't play another position. It might also mean some Coaches would dress a Canadian QB as their third string and use another import backup some where else in the line up.

paulwoods13
06-14-2019, 03:53 PM
I believe the rationale is likely to cover the cost of the second global player coming on to the roster next season. In the meantime, I expect some teams to go with two this year, as a salary cap saving. Hamilton apparently did it down the stretch last year and intends to do it again this year. The likelihood of two QBs being injured in the same game is low, but last night certainly showed that it is possible.

argolio
06-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Many NFL teams have been doing it the last few years. Maybe it's just a going trend in pro football.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 07:41 PM
I believe the rationale is likely to cover the cost of the second global player coming on to the roster next season. In the meantime, I expect some teams to go with two this year, as a salary cap saving. Hamilton apparently did it down the stretch last year and intends to do it again this year. The likelihood of two QBs being injured in the same game is low, but last night certainly showed that it is possible.

I think the end result will be more QB's being turned into other positional players. Might be the real reason the Argos value Prukop.

Wobbler
06-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Is Prukop playing on specials this year? I guess we don't know yet.

bannedforlife
06-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Report: Alouettes sign Brandon Bridge to one-year deal (https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/21/report-alouettes-sign-brandon-bridge-one-year-deal/)
CFL.ca Staff June 21 2019

paulwoods13
06-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Is Prukop playing on specials this year? I guess we don't know yet.

Now we know -- he is indeed covering punts.

bannedforlife
07-27-2019, 09:11 PM
So what's the news on O'Connor? Is it in the realm of possibility that the (so far) poor season will have any effect on his development. If they see any future for him does anyone think he will see any action this season. I haven't seen any news on him since the season began IIRC.

Argo57
07-27-2019, 09:49 PM
So what's the news on O'Connor? Is it in the realm of possibility that the (so far) poor season will have any effect on his development. If they see any future for him does anyone think he will see any action this season. I haven't seen any news on him since the season began IIRC.

O’Connor should not see the field this season, having a rookie QB pressed into service with this O-Line would be disastrous IMO.
Let him get some practice reps, get used to the routine of being a pro and leave it at that for this season.

Rich
07-28-2019, 01:47 AM
O’Connor should not see the field this season, having a rookie QB pressed into service with this O-Line would be disastrous IMO.

I disagree. If it came down to a choice at this point between putting O'Connor in or putting MBT back in, I think the team would be much better served by giving O'Connor a shot. There is no good reason to give MBT another snap with this team. O'Connor's a big strong kid with surprisingly quick feet who is totally comfortable with the Canadian game. The pressure may not traumatize him as much as people are suggesting. Plus, he looked really good in the preseason. Nowadays, many NFL QBs who are drafted high see action sometime in their first season, even behind bad o-lines, just to get them some playing experience to build on for the future.

paulwoods13
07-28-2019, 08:26 AM
I disagree. If it came down to a choice at this point between putting O'Connor in or putting MBT back in, I think the team would be much better served by giving O'Connor a shot. There is no good reason to give MBT another snap with this team. O'Connor's a big strong kid with surprisingly quick feet who is totally comfortable with the Canadian game. The pressure may not traumatize him as much as people are suggesting. Plus, he looked really good in the preseason. Nowadays, many NFL QBs who are drafted high see action sometime in their first season, even behind bad o-lines, just to get them some playing experience to build on for the future.

I am hugely high on O'Connor, but playing him in this offence would IMO be a mistake that is far more likely to set his development back than accelerate it. Playing experience is not useful when the scheme is bad and you are under siege. O'Connor's preseason experience was very limited and not overall "really good." He did look good in his only possession of the first PS game, and he made a terribly stupid throw that was intercepted in his only possession of the second PS game.

Argo57
07-28-2019, 09:00 AM

First of all the kid does have a ton of talent and maybe the Argos QB of the future but that is no sure thing.
O’Connor looked like a rookie in the preseason which in fact he is.
When you see a seasoned vet like Mike Reilly taking a beating behind a suspect O-Line (similar to Toronto’s) it makes zero sense to throw O’Connor to the wolves and in fact could very well damage his development an unnecessary gamble at this point.

1971GreyCup
07-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Today on Twitter

“Terrible news for Jeremiah Masoli and the Ticats today.

If I’m Hamilton, I’d be calling 3 retired QBs, Ricky Ray, Travis Lulay and Kevin Glenn to support Dane Evans for the rest of the season. None of the three might answer the call but worth a try.”

“Should add Darian Durant to that call list.”

Chris Cuthbert

Isn’t Toronto in a similar, or worse QB situation. I’m curious to see what the Ticats do and when they do it. Which interesting QB is no loner available to the Argos. Please, please not Ricky Ray!

AngeloV
07-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Once the season is officially (mathematically) done in terms of playoffs, then I would give O’Connor some playing time, but certainly not start him. Two or three series a game let’s him get some experience in a no pressure situation. Starting him can really kill his confidence if he struggles.

paulwoods13
07-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Once the season is officially (mathematically) done in terms of playoffs, then I would give O’Connor some playing time, but certainly not start him. Two or three series a game let’s him get some experience in a no pressure situation. Starting him can really kill his confidence if he struggles.

Even though we are already five games behind Hamilton, we are just three behind Montreal. The East is still up for grabs. I do not expect the Argos to make a push to win the division or even make the playoffs at this point, but they are obligated to keep trying to win as long as they still have a chance, and having a chance (in theory, at least) will continue for many more weeks. Therefore we should field the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. Presumably that will mean going back to Franklin when he's healthy; in the meantime, who knows at QB? But it won't (and shouldn't) be O'Connor.

AngeloV
07-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Even though we are already five games behind Hamilton, we are just three behind Montreal. The East is still up for grabs. I do not expect the Argos to make a push to win the division or even make the playoffs at this point, but they are obligated to keep trying to win as long as they still have a chance, and having a chance (in theory, at least) will continue for many more weeks. Therefore we should field the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. Presumably that will mean going back to Franklin when he's healthy; in the meantime, who knows at QB? But it won't (and shouldn't) be O'Connor.

I agree with you, for the most part, but as I said, once the season is mathematically done, I would not be opposed to giving O’Connor a couple of drives in the 2nd quarter of games late in the season.

bannedforlife
07-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Once the season is officially (mathematically) done in terms of playoffs, then I would give O’Connor some playing time, but certainly not start him. Two or three series a game let’s him get some experience in a no pressure situation. Starting him can really kill his confidence if he struggles.Agree but I think we should acknowledge that the Argos don't have a true experienced starter like many of the other teams. If the season gets to the point of being lost, I don't have a problem giving O'Connor a lot more playing time.

SkalbaniasGhost
07-28-2019, 03:57 PM
The Nathan Rourke conversation is going to have to start happening soon for this team.

bannedforlife
07-28-2019, 04:57 PM
The Nathan Rourke conversation is going to have to start happening soon for this team.Why this team, because he's a local? Just looked at his bio, he's bigger than I thought. I was under the impression he was a little guy.

jerrym
07-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Why this team, because he's a local? Just looked at his bio, he's bigger than I thought. I was under the impression he was a little guy.

Perhaps he means that he expects the Argos to have the #1 overall pick (although where anyone would ever get that idea I don't know) and the question is whether the Argos should go for Rourke, considering he may well get significant NFL interest.

bannedforlife
07-28-2019, 07:23 PM
Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio senior QB Nathan Rourke (https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/40128/nathan-rourke) posted an adjusted completion percentage of 53.4% on deep balls last season.

Rourke (6'2/208) led all returning MAC quarterbacks with that adjusted completion percentage when flinging deep (20 or more yards). Breaking this down further, PFF passes along that the senior posted a 111.0 quarterback rating on such passes while putting up a 12/3 TD/INT ratio on 58 deep toss attempts. Dual-threat standout Rourke threw for 2,434 yards with a 23/8 TD/INT ratio last season and additionally rushed for 860 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Source: PFF College on Twitter Jul 12, 2019

Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio senior QB Nathan Rourke (https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/40128/nathan-rourke) recorded a 98.9 passer rating when given a clean pocket in 2018.

Rourke posted a 70 percent adjusted completion rate but was also a threat on the ground with 39 runs of 10+ yards and an 87.2 rushing grade. Despite a 70 percent completion rate when adjusting for drops and throwaways, Rourke aspires to be more accurate as his actual completion percentage was just 59.9 percent last season. He'll likely continue to be one of the most productive dual-threat quarterbacks in all of college football next season.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter Jun 2, 2019

Neely2005
07-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Today on Twitter

“Terrible news for Jeremiah Masoli and the Ticats today.

If I’m Hamilton, I’d be calling 3 retired QBs, Ricky Ray, Travis Lulay and Kevin Glenn to support Dane Evans for the rest of the season. None of the three might answer the call but worth a try.”

“Should add Darian Durant to that call list.”

Chris Cuthbert

Isn’t Toronto in a similar, or worse QB situation. I’m curious to see what the Ticats do and when they do it. Which interesting QB is no loner available to the Argos. Please, please not Ricky Ray!

Kevin Glenn or Darian Durant won’t be joining the Ticats

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/28/veteran-quarterbacks-kevin-glenn-and-darian-durant-wont-be-joining-the-ticats/

argotom
07-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Had this in the wrong post.
I was thinking about O'Connor during the western beat down.
Why not start him slowly, give him a few packages and see how he does.
The season is virtually lost and with our poor crop of QB's let's see the Canadian kid starting on Thursday.

j-ski
07-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Had this in the wrong post.
I was thinking about O'Connor during the western beat down.
Why not start him slowly, give him a few packages and see how he does.
The season is virtually lost and with our poor crop of QB's let's see the Canadian kid starting on Thursday.

I would love see O'Connor play too. But I understand that super pro Canadian players CFL fans are probably a minority in this forum and probably all through CFL fandom.

Rich
07-31-2019, 01:34 AM
Playing experience is not useful when the scheme is bad and you are under siege.

This is often true but certainly not always true. We've seen lots of QBs -- Aikman, Cunningham and Calvillo come immediately to mind -- who had the snot beat out of them early in their careers but then became pretty good players. Surely they would say that the early adversity made them better QBs.

Also, O'Connor interviews as a very mature and level-headed 23-year-old and, as I mentioned before, is big and has exceptional physical attributes. Throw in his high comfort level with Canadian football and IMO you've got a candidate likely to survive a little early adversity.

Rich
07-31-2019, 01:51 AM
Therefore we should field the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. Presumably that will mean going back to Franklin when he's healthy; in the meantime, who knows at QB? But it won't (and shouldn't) be O'Connor.

How can you be so sure MBT would give us a better chance to win than O'Connor? MBT's last 10 starts have been Argonaut losses and his play is regressing. I would take my chances to see what O'Connor can do, the outcome can't be any worse than it's been with MBT.

bannedforlife
07-31-2019, 03:34 AM
This is often true but certainly not always true. We've seen lots of QBs -- Aikman, Cunningham and Calvillo come immediately to mind -- who had the snot beat out of them early in their careers but then became pretty good players. Surely they would say that the early adversity made them better QBs.

Also, O'Connor interviews as a very mature and level-headed 23-year-old and, as I mentioned before, is big and has exceptional physical attributes. Throw in his high comfort level with Canadian football and IMO you've got a candidate likely to survive a little early adversity.True and if the season is lost, the team should be looking to the future and if O'Connior isn't in the future plans then I don't know what he is doing there. Also if the team is truly terrible, I think people will be more forgiving if he struggles (should he get the chance to play)

paulwoods13
07-31-2019, 08:44 AM
How can you be so sure MBT would give us a better chance to win than O'Connor? MBT's last 10 starts have been Argonaut losses and his play is regressing. I would take my chances to see what O'Connor can do, the outcome can't be any worse than it's been with MBT.

The outcome would be worse (regardless of game outcomes) if O'Connor were to get ruined by the experience. I grant that is not a sure thing, but it is certainly possible and IMO not worth the risk if we can avoid it.

paulwoods13
07-31-2019, 08:46 AM
True and if the season is lost, the team should be looking to the future and if O'Connior isn't in the future plans then I don't know what he is doing there. Also if the team is truly terrible, I think people will be more forgiving if he struggles (should he get the chance to play)

The season is far from lost. The East is up for grabs, and we've seen two recent examples (B.C. in 2011 and Hamilton in 2017) of teams overcoming ghastly starts to become contenders. If and when we get eliminated from contention, the future should become our focus. But we are many, many weeks away from that. As for people being forgiving, that does not matter to his development -- it's what he himself draws from the experience that is important.

Tobin Rote
07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
Add Zach Collaros to the Argos' quarterback room as of today...

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-acquire-quarterback-zach-collaros-from-the-saskatchewan-roughriders-1.1344773

1971GreyCup
07-31-2019, 04:35 PM
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Brandon Bridge was released today by Montreal. Probably holding on to him just in case Toronto came shopping for a QB.

Topshelf
07-31-2019, 04:50 PM
With Collaros injury record, don't rule out a Bridge return yet.
None of these guys are the answer. Argos management needs to put all their resources in finding a franchise qb. Not another pick up off the cfl qb carousel.
Someone that'll sell some tix after they learn the canadian game.

Shatto
07-31-2019, 06:36 PM
Trading for Collaros is a no-brainer. If he manages to return to his potential, he could really help the team. If he doesn't, it hasn't cost the team much.

AngeloV
07-31-2019, 09:31 PM
Trading for Collaros is a no-brainer. If he manages to return to his potential, he could really help the team. If he doesn't, it hasn't cost the team much.

Exactly.

ArgoRavi
08-01-2019, 02:40 PM
With Collaros injury record, don't rule out a Bridge return yet.
None of these guys are the answer. Argos management needs to put all their resources in finding a franchise qb. Not another pick up off the cfl qb carousel.
Someone that'll sell some tix after they learn the canadian game.

Can you provide some possible names?

argolio
08-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Can you provide some possible names?That's the hard part.

If this keeps up, O'Connor might be the only returning QB next year.

SkalbaniasGhost
08-01-2019, 04:02 PM

Taryn Christion, Justice Hansen, Amir Hall, Brad Mayes, and Marcus McMaryion(Stamps negotiation list).

argos1873
08-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Just play O'Conner.

bannedforlife
08-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Just play O'Conner.This is getting near poll territory, whether the transition to O'Connor should begin this season in a significant way or not. It's my opinion, if there isn't significant improvement by half season, it's time to start getting him in there. I'm not advocating starting or anything like that, just throw him in there when a game is decided, one way or another. If the Argos think he has any kind of future, there's really nothing to be gained by keeping him on the fringes if and when the season becomes lost.

doubleblue
08-02-2019, 01:32 PM

The Canadian kid at Ohio Nathan Rourke could be that somebody. Last year 23 TD's passing on 2434 yards. Also a good runner with 860 yards. Projected to be 1st Team MAC again this year. Argos could well have the first pick again in the draft. If the Argos wanted to make him the highest paid rookie in a while they might have a chance. Rourke is listed at 6'1 208 but he doesn't look quite that big to me, but good CFL size.

Neely2005
08-04-2019, 08:34 AM
I usually record our home games since we're at the game. I had a chance to watch Thursday's game and honestly we were lucky to win that one. MBT could have easily thrown 6 interceptions in that game.

Argo57
08-04-2019, 10:41 AM
The Canadian kid at Ohio Nathan Rourke could be that somebody. Last year 23 TD's passing on 2434 yards. Also a good runner with 860 yards. Projected to be 1st Team MAC again this year. Argos could well have the first pick again in the draft. If the Argos wanted to make him the highest paid rookie in a while they might have a chance. Rourke is listed at 6'1 208 but he doesn't look quite that big to me, but good CFL size.

This is why I liked the O’Connor pick this year, smart move to tap into the Canadian QB talent pool.

argolio
08-04-2019, 03:37 PM
I usually record our home games since we're at the game. I had a chance to watch Thursday's game and honestly we were lucky to win that one. MBT could have easily thrown 6 interceptions in that game.God forbid we win and he has a good game.

AngeloV
08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
I usually record our home games since we're at the game. I had a chance to watch Thursday's game and honestly we were lucky to win that one. MBT could have easily thrown 6 interceptions in that game.

I have 2 words for that starting with B and S. Your bias against MBT in this case is ridiculously obvious. I still would prefer Franklin or ZC to him but give me a break here.

Neely2005
08-04-2019, 11:03 PM
I have 2 words for that starting with B and S. Your bias against MBT in this case is ridiculously obvious. I still would prefer Franklin or ZC to him but give me a break here.

Lol, I suggest you watch the game again. Numerous balls that Winnipeg almost picked off.

Shatto
08-04-2019, 11:45 PM
The QB issue will become even more contentious next year when only 2 QB's will be on the active roster. In the unlikely but not unprecedented case of 2 QB's going down in a game, a team will need to have a player in another position ready to step in. For the Argos, Edwards could become this 3rd QB, based on his outstanding college record.

Highly athletic Canadian QB's may receive a boost with the new rule, as they may well be able to convert to WR or DB backups. That would allow an athletic player like Merchant to move from backup DB or WR, if both starting QB's go down in a game. Could we see Bridge become a receiver as he is big, strong and mobile. Then Bridge becomes the unstated 3rd QB for the team during a game.

It should be remembered, that was the way Russ Jackson got his start in the CFL. He was originally signed as a DB even though he had been an all star QB in university. It will be interesting to see how coaches use creative approaches to address this question next year.

AngeloV
08-05-2019, 01:37 AM
Lol, I suggest you watch the game again. Numerous balls that Winnipeg almost picked off.

I have. The only real close one wouldn’t have counted because there was a PI call after the challenge. He threw some 50/50 balls, but all QB’s do. Just give the man credit for playing a great game and leave your personal bias behind.

AngeloV
08-05-2019, 01:40 AM
The QB issue will become even more contentious next year when only 2 QB's will be on the active roster. In the unlikely but not unprecedented case of 2 QB's going down in a game, a team will need to have a player in another position ready to step in. For the Argos, Edwards could become this 3rd QB, based on his outstanding college record.

Highly athletic Canadian QB's may receive a boost with the new rule, as they may well be able to convert to WR or DB backups. That would allow an athletic player like Merchant to move from backup DB or WR, if both starting QB's go down in a game. Could we see Bridge become a receiver as he is big, strong and mobile. Then Bridge becomes the unstated 3rd QB for the team during a game.

It should be remembered, that was the way Russ Jackson got his start in the CFL. He was originally signed as a DB even though he had been an all star QB in university. It will be interesting to see how coaches use creative approaches to address this question next year.
I think that’s how Prukop stays on the roster. He’s already played ST’s. It would not surprise me to see him listed as a DB or WR next year, play ST’s and be the emergency QB.

Neely2005
08-05-2019, 10:02 AM
I have. The only real close one wouldn’t have counted because there was a PI call after the challenge. He threw some 50/50 balls, but all QB’s do. Just give the man credit for playing a great game and leave your personal bias behind.

As usual we'll have to agree to disagree. No bias involved, Winnipeg got their hands on numerous balls.

argolio
08-05-2019, 10:57 PM
After again reading the claim that "MBT could have easily thrown 6 interceptions in that game", I had to re-watch the game. The only easy pick would have been Hecht's, and that didn't matter because of the successful challenge. Any other play that might be questioned would have been a difficult or an impossible interception. Nothing easy was dropped by a Bomber. Not even Wilson after the tipped ball at the line.

On the other hand, if Argo receivers had slipped 37 times instead catching the ball, I think MBT could have easily thrown at least 20 picks.

argos1873
08-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I think that’s how Prukop stays on the roster. He’s already played ST’s. It would not surprise me to see him listed as a DB or WR next year, play ST’s and be the emergency QB.

Does an "import" have to be a designated "import" or whatever it is called now to play special teams? Also I thought a QB could only go in as a QB? I know there's been some roster rule changes recently but I thought that's how it was.

paulwoods13
08-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Does an "import" have to be a designated "import" or whatever it is called now to play special teams? Also I thought a QB could only go in as a QB? I know there's been some roster rule changes recently but I thought that's how it was.

Any International player can play special teams -- not just DIs. You could put 12 starting INTs on kick coverage or kick return if you wanted -- not that anyone would.

QBs can play positions other than QB, but I believe two QBs cannot be on the field at the same time. Prukop (and Fajardo before him) played special teams in 2017 and 2018.

argos1873
08-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Any International player can play special teams -- not just DIs. You could put 12 starting INTs on kick coverage or kick return if you wanted -- not that anyone would.

QBs can play positions other than QB, but I believe two QBs cannot be on the field at the same time. Prukop (and Fajardo before him) played special teams in 2017 and 2018.

Thanks. I was just curious because at one time only a DI could replace a starting Canadian. I suppose either that doesn't apply any more, or there is no consideration for that rule on special teams? Admittedly the roster ratio rules really confuse me.

paulwoods13
08-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Thanks. I was just curious because at one time only a DI could replace a starting Canadian. I suppose either that doesn't apply any more, or there is no consideration for that rule on special teams? Admittedly the roster ratio rules really confuse me.

I don't think that is correct. Canadians have always had to replace Canadian starters, unless a team had more than the minimum number of starting Canadians. Otherwise, DIs could only replace starting imports on offence or defence, but could always play special teams.

AngeloV
08-06-2019, 04:40 PM
I don't think that is correct. Canadians have always had to replace Canadian starters, unless a team had more than the minimum number of starting Canadians. Otherwise, DIs could only replace starting imports on offence or defence, but could always play special teams.

This is correct.

argos1873
08-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Yep you are correct, jeeze these rules are confusing.

Argo57
08-21-2019, 09:16 PM
FWIW
John Hodge mentions in his article that according to “sources” the Argos are asking for a second round pick for James Franklin.
Risky move if true, way too many questions in the Argo QB stable to give up on this guy IMO.
A move they could very well regret long term.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/21/the-blue-bombers-should-trade-for-argos-qb-james-franklin/

Neely2005
08-22-2019, 08:10 AM
FWIW
John Hodge mentions in his article that according to “sources” the Argos are asking for a second round pick for James Franklin.
Risky move if true, way too many questions in the Argo QB stable to give up on this guy IMO.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/21/the-blue-bombers-should-trade-for-argos-qb-james-franklin/

Why the hell would we trade Franklin? Collaros can't stay healthy and MBT isn't a CFL starter.

ArgoZ
08-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Why the hell would we trade Franklin? Collaros can't stay healthy and MBT isn't a CFL starter.

He didn’t sign the extension offered. He wants to prove himself for more money, which the Argos are not willing to pay and as it stands, he’s not worth. Like everyone, I had high hopes for Franklin, but he’s not a Starter the way he has performed. As much as we don’t want MBT as the Starter, the team seems to became noticeably better when he’s in there.

Collaros would have been the answer when healthy. I read that he’s is still feeling concussion symptoms. With only 2 months left, I don’t expect to see him at all the season, unfortunately. Yes, we’re screwed. Maybe a 2020 camp with Collaros and Streveler might be the answer? The team is going to suffer without a good QB.

Neely2005
08-22-2019, 09:38 AM
He didn’t sign the extension offered. He wants to prove himself for more money, which the Argos are not willing to pay and as it stands, he’s not worth. Like everyone, I had high hopes for Franklin, but he’s not a Starter the way he has performed. As much as we don’t want MBT as the Starter, the team seems to became noticeably better when he’s in there.

Collaros would have been the answer when healthy. I read that he’s is still feeling concussion symptoms. With only 2 months left, I don’t expect to see him at all the season, unfortunately. Yes, we’re screwed. Maybe a 2020 camp with Collaros and Streveler might be the answer? The team is going to suffer without a good QB.

If Collaros still isn't ready and Franklin is healthy now then Franklin should be our starter so we can figure out if we should offer him an extension or not.

ArgoZ
08-22-2019, 10:13 AM
If Collaros still isn't ready and Franklin is healthy now then Franklin should be our starter so we can figure out if we should offer him an extension or not.

I’d like to see Franklin have one more kick at the can too. I can’t fool myself that the team is not better with MBT. I think a lot depends on the result Sunday. If the seasons lost, let’s see what Franklin can do. If we still got a realistic shot, MBT is the better QB at the moment.

paulwoods13
08-22-2019, 12:21 PM
We don't know what Franklin might become, so it's tempting to give him back the reins and hope we see him excel. However, we don't have him under contract for next season, and my guess is that even if he returns to No. 1 and leads us to the playoffs, he will be less than interested in returning to Toronto. And we know there will be a seller's market for QBs next season, with Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto and the XFL all likely looking for pivots. Franklin is the most (only?) tradeable asset among our large stable of QBs. Hence his name is coming up (here well before Hodge wrote it) as a possible trade candidate. I'd love to see him develop into a good long-term starter for us, but IMO the chances of that now are low, all things considered. So if you can get a good asset or two for a guy you'll likely lose after the season anyway, it's worth considering.

doubleblue
08-22-2019, 01:29 PM
FWIW

The price of QB's has dropped since the days when the Argos were gladly giving up 1st round picks for the likes of Cleo Lemon and Mike Bishop.

paulwoods13
08-22-2019, 01:50 PM
The price of QB's has dropped since the days when the Argos were gladly giving up 1st round picks for the likes of Cleo Lemon and Mike Bishop.

I don't know if this is facetious or not, but I'm fairly sure we signed those two guys as free agents.

Neely2005
08-22-2019, 08:05 PM
We don't know what Franklin might become, so it's tempting to give him back the reins and hope we see him excel. However, we don't have him under contract for next season, and my guess is that even if he returns to No. 1 and leads us to the playoffs, he will be less than interested in returning to Toronto. And we know there will be a seller's market for QBs next season, with Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto and the XFL all likely looking for pivots. Franklin is the most (only?) tradeable asset among our large stable of QBs. Hence his name is coming up (here well before Hodge wrote it) as a possible trade candidate. I'd love to see him develop into a good long-term starter for us, but IMO the chances of that now are low, all things considered. So if you can get a good asset or two for a guy you'll likely lose after the season anyway, it's worth considering.

What would you consider is a good asset or two? The rumoured second round pick certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

paulwoods13
08-22-2019, 11:06 PM
What would you consider is a good asset or two? The rumoured second round pick certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

A second would not be a huge windfall. But again, if you have concluded that he's not gonna work in the current system this year, AND you think it's unlikely he'll return on a new contract, than getting something like a second is far better than getting nothing. Obviously those are two big ifs.

Jon Gonzo
08-23-2019, 09:21 AM
They need to hang onto James Franklin, showcase him and realize the growing value of CFL Quarterbacks right now. Teams will be looking for insurance and the market could get competitive.

Surely if the Argos paid Winnipeg a roster player (an All-Star DB) and a 1st and a 3rd pick for Drew freakin' Willy, the Argos can get more than a 2nd for James Franklin.

Just to get his rights, it cost us a Canadian prospect first rounder at Tackle.

A 2nd is not enough and it's not necessary to succumb to at this time.

paulwoods13
08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
There's also the money factor. We have five QBs, two of whom are possibly our second- and third-highest-paid players. We saved one0-third of JF's salary against the cap, and are currently saving against Collaros's salary against the cap, but they're still being paid real dollars. While I'd like to believe that MLSE would have no issue spending over the cap while staying within cap rules, we don't know how much tolerance they have for pushing budget limits. We might have to move a QB to keep spending down, and if so, Franklin is almost certainly the guy going since he likely makes a lot more than MBT, and Collaros is not really tradeable at this time.

That said, I don't disagree with the notion that hanging on to JF until closer to the deadline could yield a better return, if certain circumstances were to unfold. If, for instance, Hamilton were to lose Evans, they would be desperate for a QB who has taken snaps in this league. Same for Edm and Sask if their starters were to get hurt. And this year, QBs everywhere are getting hurt.

AngeloV
08-23-2019, 10:16 AM
A second would not be a huge windfall. But again, if you have concluded that he's not gonna work in the current system this year, AND you think it's unlikely he'll return on a new contract, than getting something like a second is far better than getting nothing. Obviously those are two big ifs.

I don’t buy the thought that it is going to be hard to sign Franklin. Different circumstances now than at the time they tried to extend him. If in fact he was betting on himself to increase his value, then through unfortunate circumstances that hasn’t worked. As much as I am fond of MBT, he too is without a contract beyond this season. I say you trade him while his value is still high, and play Franklin now. That’s what I would do anyways.

AngeloV
08-23-2019, 10:18 AM
They need to hang onto James Franklin, showcase him and realize the growing value of CFL Quarterbacks right now. Teams will be looking for insurance and the market could get competitive.

Surely if the Argos paid Winnipeg a roster player (an All-Star DB) and a 1st and a 3rd pick for Drew freakin' Willy, the Argos can get more than a 2nd for James Franklin.

Just to get his rights, it cost us a Canadian prospect first rounder at Tackle.

A 2nd is not enough and it's not necessary to succumb to at this time.

For the most part I agree with you, but please stop the charade that TJ Heath was an all star DB. He wouldn’t be out of the league 2 years later if this was true.

Neely2005
08-23-2019, 11:03 AM
I don’t buy the thought that it is going to be hard to sign Franklin. Different circumstances now than at the time they tried to extend him. If in fact he was betting on himself to increase his value, then through unfortunate circumstances that hasn’t worked. As much as I am fond of MBT, he too is without a contract beyond this season. I say you trade him while his value is still high, and play Franklin now. That’s what I would do anyways.

Agreed. If anything Franklin will probably get less than the offer he previously turned down.

Neely2005
08-23-2019, 11:04 AM
For the most part I agree with you, but please stop the charade that TJ Heath was an all star DB. He wouldn’t be out of the league 2 years later if this was true.

TJ Heath was a 2 time CFL All Star. You can disagree all you want but it's a fact.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/14/argos-reunite-two-time-star-db-t-j-heath/

Jon Gonzo
08-23-2019, 12:06 PM

Charade: "an absurd pretense intended to create a pleasant or respectable appearance."

Not to acknowledge these facts would actually be the proper usage of the word.

AngeloV
08-23-2019, 01:01 PM
TJ Heath was a 2 time CFL All Star. You can disagree all you want but it's a fact.

Fine, but to me an all star dB can play well in any type of D. Reporters who mainly look at stats vote on all stars. Yes he got a lot of picks because he was good at cheating in zone coverage. In man defence, he was brutal. Got beat all the time... but there were those interceptions. If he was truly an all star there would have been a high demand for him. Clearly there wasn’t when the team he got that all star status had no interest in retaining his services.

paulwoods13
08-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Agreed. If anything Franklin will probably get less than the offer he previously turned down.

I don't believe that. Any QB with CFL experience will be in demand, given the number of teams with no vets signed for next season (Sask, Ham, Tor, maybe Ott, maybe Wpg) plus the XFL's need for decent QBs. The XFL schedule starting a week before CFL free agency works against the CFL QBs, but doesn't make it impossible.

Argo57
08-23-2019, 06:46 PM

I agree with this, I wouldn’t trade Franklin as I still think he has the most upside by far.
A second round pick just doesn’t cut it IMO, MBT would be the odd man out if I was the GM.
No guarantees in regards to Collaros health both this year and long term so I would Proceed as if he won’t be available.

Argo57
08-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Yes it is a fact on paper but I wasn’t overly impressed with Heath, feast or famine with him plus he couldn’t tackle to save his life.

argolio
08-24-2019, 02:15 PM
I expect MBT to start as long as the Argos are not mathematically eliminated. All things considered, his numbers are decent, and he has the confidence of his coaches and teammates.

As for trading one of our QBs and getting a good return, you need a desperate buyer for that (see 2016 Argos). Winnipeg got crucial breathing room with their big win last night, so they can survive Nichols being injured even if Streveler struggles. Other than maybe Ottawa, who else is desperate?

ArgoRavi
08-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Fine, but to me an all star dB can play well in any type of D. Reporters who mainly look at stats vote on all stars. Yes he got a lot of picks because he was good at cheating in zone coverage. In man defence, he was brutal. Got beat all the time... but there were those interceptions. If he was truly an all star there would have been a high demand for him. Clearly there wasn’t when the team he got that all star status had no interest in retaining his services.

Heath was vastly overrated. Why is he out of the league?

Also, Faith Ekakitie was the first pick that the Bombers received for Willy, right? He is out of the league now too.

argolio
08-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Heath was vastly overrated. Why is he out of the league?

Also, Faith Ekakitie was the first pick that the Bombers received for Willy, right? He is out of the league now too.Controversial as it was at the time, it turned out to be a nothing trade.

bannedforlife
08-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Meanwhile back at the Michael O'Connor, and our QB pool thread, is there any actual news about Michael O'Connor?

Neely2005
08-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Controversial as it was at the time, it turned out to be a nothing trade.

Yup, we traded away the First Overall Pick a Third Round Pick and an All Star Player for nothing.

ArgoRavi
08-25-2019, 02:20 AM
Meanwhile back at the Michael O'Connor, and our QB pool thread, is there any actual news about Michael O'Connor?

O'Connor is back on the one-time injured list to make room for Franklin's return. O'Connor continues to learn the pro game and won't be rushed into action before he is ready.

argolio
08-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Yup, we traded away the First Overall Pick a Third Round Pick and an All Star Player for nothing.Two of which are out of the league. And we actually re-signed the "All Star Player" the next year and then got rid of him again. So what we ended up trading was a backup Canadian receiver (the 3rd round pick) for nothing.

Neely2005
08-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Two of which are out of the league. And we actually re-signed the "All Star Player" the next year and then got rid of him again. So what we ended up trading was a backup Canadian receiver (the 3rd round pick) for nothing.

So? It's very unlikely that we would have drafted the same players with those picks. That was the worst trade in recent Argonauts history.

doubleblue
08-25-2019, 08:52 PM

This makes sense to me. I don't think Franklin can command the big bucks after what he has done so far with the Argos. But the XFL might make things more difficult to re sign him for what he is worth. After today I would entertain offers for MBT seeing he is about 32 years old and has played somewhat better lately making him more attractive in the short term. QB's are going to be hard to find IMO this off season so I say keep the other four if possible. This season is as good as over as far as making the playoffs are concerned. Trade MBT, start Franklin and keep working the two young guys in here and there for experience. I don't know what you do with Zach Collaros. I hate to see him getting pummelled behind this line in what will probably be next to nothing games, except for the race to draft #1.

Argo57
08-25-2019, 09:20 PM
This makes sense to me. I don't think Franklin can command the big bucks after what he has done so far with the Argos. But the XFL might make things more difficult to re sign him for what he is worth. After today I would entertain offers for MBT seeing he is about 32 years old and has played somewhat better lately making him more attractive in the short term. QB's are going to be hard to find IMO this off season so I say keep the other four if possible. This season is as good as over as far as making the playoffs are concerned. Trade MBT, start Franklin and keep working the two young guys in here and there for experience. I don't know what you do with Zach Collaros. I hate to see him getting pummelled behind this line in what will probably be next to nothing games, except for the race to draft #1.

This makes sense, MBT’s play has been noticeably better lately but now that Franklin is able to play it is imperative to get him into game action to make an informed and definitive decision regarding his future as a starter in Toronto.
The Argo QB stable scares the hell out of me for the future.
MBT and Franklin’s contracts expire at seasons end leaving O’Connor, Prukop and Collaros the latter who maybe a stiff tackle away from retirement.
No secret here, CFL teams fortunes revolve around having a very good starting QB and serviceable backup.

Neely2005
08-25-2019, 09:52 PM
This makes sense, MBT’s play has been noticeably better lately but now that Franklin is able to play it is imperative to get him into game action to make an informed and definitive decision regarding his future as a starter in Toronto.
The Argo QB stable scares the hell out of me for the future.
MBT and Franklin’s contracts expire at seasons end leaving O’Connor, Prukop and Collaros the latter who maybe a stiff tackle away from retirement.
No secret here, CFL teams fortunes revolve around having a very good starting QB and serviceable backup.

I think that Collaros contract is up after this season too.

ArgoGabe22
08-25-2019, 10:21 PM
I think that Collaros contract is up after this season too.

If ZC still wants to play and Argos want him, I see no reason for him to sign elsewhere. He won’t get top starting money and he bought a place in Aurora with his wife (from Hamilton I believe)

ArgoZ
08-25-2019, 11:28 PM
If ZC still wants to play and Argos want him, I see no reason for him to sign elsewhere. He won’t get top starting money and he bought a place in Aurora with his wife (from Hamilton I believe)

It’s almost been 3 months since Collaros suffered his last concussion. From everything I’ve read on the subject, that is a good benchmark for determining how serious or lasting a concussion will be. If a player is still experiencing symptoms after 3 months, it’s likely a yearly recovery. Unless he’s magically recovered in the next two weeks, the chances of him returning this year, statically speaking, are near zero. I didn’t realize how serious his conditions were at the time of the trade and it’s starting to look like it was a pointless move. (Hindsight says it was since were now essentially out of the playoffs)

argolio
08-26-2019, 11:32 PM
So? It's very unlikely that we would have drafted the same players with those picks. That was the worst trade in recent Argonauts history.And I can say it's totally likely. Irrelevant either way. You can only go by who the Bombers picked, and three years later three of the four players are out of football. We gained nothing at the expense of a backup.

Trading Dave Mudge for Brad Elberg was an actual terrible trade. We lost out on an all-star Canadian RT who started for almost ten years.

It’s almost been 3 months since Collaros suffered his last concussion. From everything I’ve read on the subject, that is a good benchmark for determining how serious or lasting a concussion will be. If a player is still experiencing symptoms after 3 months, it’s likely a yearly recovery. Unless he’s magically recovered in the next two weeks, the chances of him returning this year, statically speaking, are near zero. I didn’t realize how serious his conditions were at the time of the trade and it’s starting to look like it was a pointless move. (Hindsight says it was since were now essentially out of the playoffs)Assuming the Argos were fully aware of his medical condition, they made this move with 2020 in mind. Pretty ballsy by Popp considering he must know he may not be here next year.

Neely2005
08-27-2019, 10:43 AM
And I can say it's totally likely. Irrelevant either way. You can only go by who the Bombers picked, and three years later three of the four players are out of football. We gained nothing at the expense of a backup.

Trading Dave Mudge for Brad Elberg was an actual terrible trade. We lost out on an all-star Canadian RT who started for almost ten years.

Assuming the Argos were fully aware of his medical condition, they made this move with 2020 in mind. Pretty ballsy by Popp considering he must know he may not be here next year.

Sure you can, you'd be wrong but you can definitely say it. It boggles my mind that some people are still trying to defend that terrible Drew Willy trade.

AngeloV
08-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Sure you can, you'd be wrong but you can definitely say it. It boggles my mind that some people are still trying to defend that terrible Drew Willy trade.

It boggles my mind that people still are upset about it, Because at the end of the day, neither team benefitted from it.

Neely2005
08-27-2019, 10:30 PM
It boggles my mind that people still are upset about it, Because at the end of the day, neither team benefitted from it.

The Argonauts lost the first overall pick and an All Star player for Drew Willy. It boggles my mind that people aren't upset about it.

doubleblue
08-27-2019, 11:53 PM
The Argonauts lost the first overall pick and an All Star player for Drew Willy. It boggles my mind that people aren't upset about it.

I'm still upset about it. Because I have faith the Argos wouldn't have drafted Faith Ekakitie. lol But looking back at that draft only Judge in Saskatchewan and Gray in Winnipeg are starters from the first round and maybe Johnson in Ottawa. At the time I was hoping the Argos would pick Spooner to play RG and Boateng in the 2nd for DE. But as it turned out 2017 wasn't a good year for the first 3 rounds, but the Argos did get Woodson, Onyeka and Herdman in the later rounds, so it wasn't all bad.

argolio
08-28-2019, 02:08 AM
The Argonauts lost the first overall pick and an All Star player for Drew Willy. It boggles my mind that people aren't upset about it.We only lost a backup receiver in this trade, and we won the Grey Cup the next year. Am I really supposed to get upset over that?

I'm still upset about it. Because I have faith the Argos wouldn't have drafted Faith Ekakitie. lol But looking back at that draft only Judge in Saskatchewan and Gray in Winnipeg are starters from the first round and maybe Johnson in Ottawa. At the time I was hoping the Argos would pick Spooner to play RG and Boateng in the 2nd for DE. But as it turned out 2017 wasn't a good year for the first 3 rounds, but the Argos did get Woodson, Onyeka and Herdman in the later rounds, so it wasn't all bad. That's a rough looking first round. Three guys are already out of the league, and Behar has been a disappointment. Judge didn't do much his first two years, but he's having a breakout year.

Johnson does start.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8