PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread - Preseason Week 2 - Toronto Argonauts @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Will
06-03-2019, 12:09 PM
This should be a tougher test for the Argos as it is the home Ticat pre-season game and Hamilton will play starters.

ArgoFan1
06-03-2019, 06:27 PM
I'll be there !!!!! Always go to Hamilton when the Argos play there. Anyone else on here going?

CFLfan
06-04-2019, 02:33 PM
This should be a tougher test for the Argos as it is the home Ticat pre-season game and Hamilton will play starters.

The second pre-season game is usually where teams look at the starting offense and defense. The Als defense had only 3 starters out of the 12.
The Ticats are likely to rest Simoni Lawrence and Tracy on D and on offense Banks and Tasker on offense. Masoli will likely play a half.
Since it's only a short bus ride to the visiting team, the Argos probably bring a lot of guys.

1971GreyCup
06-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Apparently the Ticats are streaming the Thursday game with audio from their AM1150 play-by-play team.

Joe Barnes
06-04-2019, 09:06 PM
I'll be there !!!!! Always go to Hamilton when the Argos play there. Anyone else on here going?

I'm heading down. I couldn't make the game at Varsity, so am very excited. It might be chilly, maybe I'll wear my new scarf...

AngeloV
06-04-2019, 10:31 PM
The second pre-season game is usually where teams look at the starting offense and defense. The Als defense had only 3 starters out of the 12.
The Ticats are likely to rest Simoni Lawrence and Tracy on D and on offense Banks and Tasker on offense. Masoli will likely play a half.
Since it's only a short bus ride to the visiting team, the Argos probably bring a lot of guys.

Disagree. I think teams for the most part teams play their starters for their home pre season games. Edmonton didn’t play their starters in their 2nd game which was on the road. I would expect to see a lot of MBT and Bridge this week, and wouldn’t be surprised if Franklin, Wilder, SJ, and most other starters don’t see any action at all.

I’m just glad the starters got a little more than a quarter last week. Sure beats the Trestman method from last year where nobody played in the pre season.

Wobbler
06-05-2019, 10:52 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8Tiz-mV4AA87NW.jpg
Same listed starters as last week, except MBT gets top billing, Washington is apparently healthy (and starts at boundary corner over Dowling), and Shane Richards get a shot at RG.

dmont
06-05-2019, 01:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8Tiz-mV4AA87NW.jpg
Same listed starters as last week, except MBT gets top billing, Washington is apparently healthy (and starts at boundary corner over Dowling), and Shane Richards get a shot at RG.

Is Bomben injured? Where's Herdman-Reed?

I hope they give Franklin some more playing time. He's far from established in the system and I want him good and comfortable for game 1.

Has Biewald always been a linebacker? I thought he was on the D line.

lazycro
06-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Is Bomben injured? Where's Herdman-Reed?

I hope they give Franklin some more playing time. He's far from established in the system and I want him good and comfortable for game 1.

Has Biewald always been a linebacker? I thought he was on the D line.

Mercer Timmis will miss Thursday’s game against his former team as will another former Ticat, right guard Ryan Bomben. Offensive lineman Eric Starczala will also miss the game.

Neely2005
06-05-2019, 01:52 PM
will be watching the hockey game so hopefully someone can post a recap.

gilthethrill
06-05-2019, 03:15 PM
I notice John Biewald was brought back and inserted deep down the chart at OLB. I would think Linnanmia, the Swedish receiver may have the inside track for the Global roster position unless #72 ( Wearing Peter Muellers old #) Carrassiabuis shows well.

AngeloV
06-05-2019, 04:37 PM
will be watching the hockey game so hopefully someone can post a recap.

Good thing they haven't moved up the start of the season huh?

;)

SkalbaniasGhost
06-05-2019, 06:57 PM

;)

That's not nice.

dmont
06-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Anybody else trying to use the ticats stream? Is it working for anybody? I cant seem to find it.

1971GreyCup
06-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Anybody else trying to use the ticats stream? Is it working for anybody? I cant seem to find it.
Game is tomorrow night.

dmont
06-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Game is tomorrow night.

Haha Doh! Just figured that out.

Neely2005
06-05-2019, 09:27 PM

;)

Why? The leafs haven't gotten out of the first round since before YouTube existed.

dmont
06-06-2019, 07:47 PM
I hope Q Fords ok. Poor guy missed all of last season.

dmont
06-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Noticed Kanneh was targeted on at least two passes of that opening Hamilton td drive.

dmont
06-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Macbeth hits Walker with a nice deep pass. Nice to see him on target with a deep ball, which was a problem at times last year.

Argo57
06-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Just back from the game.
MBT looks really comfortable in this offence and even showed some decent mobility, nice to see the Argonauts pushing the ball downfield.
D will take time to gel but will be fine IMO, as dmont noted Hamilton went after Kanneh in the opening drive and made their opening drive TD look easy.
Awe and Wild look very good at LB.
Wilder had some nice runs, Walker as advertised a legit deep threat.
Had no clue at times who was making plays as the numbers on the Argonauts blue jerseys are almost impossible to read from a distance (a major gaffe IMO).

Shatto
06-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Interesting comment about the numbers on the Argo jerseys-----the Ti-Cat radio broadcast team basically gave up trying to read the numbers.

dmont
06-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Well... it sure was preseason!

Macbeth looked good. Initially, I thought it might be a good idea to trade him, but now I'm all on board with keeping him on as number 2. I dont like how they treated O'Conner, giving him one series and taking him out after the INT. Bridge didnt look very good either, but at least he was in with the backups. Prukop looked good in garbage time. I was hopeful that Bridge could step up and be #2, but after tonight I think he may be done.

Why would they keep Franklin out of the game completely? He could use the game reps! That was a head scratcher.

Not very many standouts (good or bad) on either side of the ball. Derel Walker was excellent, as expected. I thought Roberson had a good game. Kanneh was badly outplayed by tasker early on, but he also did some good things. Gittens Jr looked good at receiver. I still wish Wilder would run a little more downhill. On a reception, he angled for the sideline rather than plow into the defender for a few extra yards. Gilchrist got beat a little badly on a run...

I think the Donald De La Haye experiment is over. I only noticed him on fgs. He missed his first (from 41?) And hit his second, which was a chip shot. The fact that they dont have him punting in there shows they're not serious about him doing all three jobs. Maybe theyll offer him a PR spot, but with his profile I doubt he'd take it.

Looking toward cut down day with interest. I'm sure lots of players we like will be let go.

Argo57
06-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Interesting comment about the numbers on the Argo jerseys-----the Ti-Cat radio broadcast team basically gave up trying to read the numbers.

This will be an issue on TSN broadcasts this season.

Argo57
06-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Well... it sure was preseason!

Macbeth looked good. Initially, I thought it might be a good idea to trade him, but now I'm all on board with keeping him on as number 2. I dont like how they treated O'Conner, giving him one series and taking him out after the INT. Bridge didnt look very good either, but at least he was in with the backups. Prukop looked good in garbage time. I was hopeful that Bridge could step up and be #2, but after tonight I think he may be done.

Why would they keep Franklin out of the game completely? He could use the game reps! That was a head scratcher.

Not very many standouts (good or bad) on either side of the ball. Derel Walker was excellent, as expected. I thought Roberson had a good game. Kanneh was badly outplayed by tasker early on, but he also did some good things. Gittens Jr looked good at receiver. I still wish Wilder would run a little more downhill. On a reception, he angled for the sideline rather than plow into the defender for a few extra yards. Gilchrist got beat a little badly on a run...

I think the Donald De La Haye experiment is over. I only noticed him on fgs. He missed his first (from 41?) And hit his second, which was a chip shot. The fact that they dont have him punting in there shows they're not serious about him doing all three jobs. Maybe theyll offer him a PR spot, but with his profile I doubt he'd take it.

Looking toward cut down day with interest. I'm sure lots of players we like will be let go.

Franklin should have taken some snaps agreed!
MBT looks like a new man in this O which by the way is a refreshing change from last season.

argolio
06-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Nice to see Prukop put up some numbers. He needed that.

Ticat crew did a pretty good job on the broadcast discussing the Argos as well as the home team.

Rich
06-07-2019, 12:22 AM
Why would they keep Franklin out of the game completely?

The only reason that makes any sense is he must be dinged up a little bit. Does anyone know if he was taking first string reps all week?

Ideally you want to get your starting QB feeling game ready in the last pre-season game, at least a series or two against live ammo, especially when you've got a first-week bye. Even an established guy like Masoli threw 26 passes tonight.

ArgoFan1
06-07-2019, 12:27 AM
De LaHaye only tried one field goal, from 16 yards and made it. He punted once for 46 yards. He only got in those two plays, all in the fourth quarter. It was Brown that missed the field goal. He missed one last week as well. But, I don't think he'll make it, or else I think they would have given him more playing time.

Rich
06-07-2019, 12:28 AM

I guess it's between Prukop and Bridge for the #3 spot. Surely one of them will be cut, and it still seems more likely it will be Prukop.

Joe Barnes
06-07-2019, 12:41 AM

I have to echo the complaints about the new jerseys...I was sitting in the upper deck on the east side of THF, and had no clue who was in for the Argos most of the time. Nearly impossible to read the numbers. Perhaps a return to last years design for the Oxford jerseys (bring the stripes on the arms back to maintain the Cambridge blue) and go with the new design with the white jerseys? They have to do something.

Jerseys aside, the team looked good tonight...MBT, in particular.

gilthethrill
06-07-2019, 05:14 AM

Ticat crew did a pretty good job on the broadcast discussing the Argos as well as the home team.

Morealle and Ferguson did a very good job last night. Always good to beat Hamilton. Cut down day will be interesting. As for the qb situation, I can't see all 5 staying, but I see Bridge staying over Prukop, although I can't explain why I sense that. Nice catch by Cole Watson who is attending his 3rd Argo Fantasy Camp.

gilthethrill
06-07-2019, 05:23 AM
De LaHaye only tried one field goal, from 16 yards and made it. He punted once for 46 yards. He only got in those two plays, all in the fourth quarter. It was Brown that missed the field goal. He missed one last week as well. But, I don't think he'll make it, or else I think they would have given him more playing time.

Odd, the Ti Cat radio guys said De La Haye missed the 41 yarder early, but CFL stats support what you are saying. How did Pfeffer look?

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 07:26 AM
I guess it's between Prukop and Bridge for the #3 spot. Surely one of them will be cut, and it still seems more likely it will be Prukop.

I think Bridge will get cut. He’s not playing for league minimum and MBT was way better than him in camp and both pre season games. Wasn’t really close either. Bridge was here to win the back up job not the #3 spot, so I predict he will be cut. I wish him luck.

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 07:30 AM

De La Haye missed a FG in the first half, which seemed to confuse the officials. Seemed to land in the end zone right down the middle, but hard to tell on the internet feed.

Will
06-07-2019, 08:04 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 of how excited I am to have Derel Walker on this football team I am at an 11. His playmaking ability was on display yesterday let me tell you!

He had a few hiccups on his opening drive, but otherwise Bethel-Thompson played well and showed a little more mobility than what we saw from him last year.

Wilder also looks ready to go with a new sense of purpose.

argotom
06-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Isn't that sad, not only was there no TSN local radio coverage, I was looking forward to reading the game report in my Sun....but oops no such thing as a brief couple paragraphs in a tiny report on Sports page 27 of 28 from Sun Staff meaning no one covered it.
We need the dozen of so writers including Zac at the basketball game?

Neely2005
06-07-2019, 10:30 AM
The only reason that makes any sense is he must be dinged up a little bit. Does anyone know if he was taking first string reps all week?

Ideally you want to get your starting QB feeling game ready in the last pre-season game, at least a series or two against live ammo, especially when you've got a first-week bye. Even an established guy like Masoli threw 26 passes tonight.

Probably because Franklin played in the first home preseason game and he has the starers spot locked up. The battle is for the 2 remaining spots so the coaches would want to see those players battle it out.

paulwoods13
06-07-2019, 11:05 AM
De La Haye missed a FG in the first half, which seemed to confuse the officials. Seemed to land in the end zone right down the middle, but hard to tell on the internet feed.

De La Haye definitely missed from 41.

CFLfan
06-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Isn't that sad, not only was there no TSN local radio coverage, I was looking forward to reading the game report in my Sun....but oops no such thing as a brief couple paragraphs in a tiny report on Sports page 27 of 28 from Sun Staff meaning no one covered it.
We need the dozen of so writers including Zac at the basketball game?

Why not read the game report on the TSN CFL site? or CFL.ca or 3D Nation also has a good summary.
Most sports fans don't go to the newspaper for their sports news these days, so much coverage elsewhere. Most of us don't even get "paper" of the news anymore, we get it on-line.

paulwoods13
06-07-2019, 12:47 PM
A few observations from last night:

MBT looked very good for the second week in a row. And last night it was against the Ticats' first-string defence (in fact, Hamilton kept most of its first-stringers in on defence deep into the second half). He is clearly a viable backup, and I daresay he may yet have an "upside."

Bridge's pick and O'Connor's pick were both on the QB, IMO. O'Connor getting only one series was disappointing but I'm guessing it means he has already made the team as a fourth-stringer with potential, and they needed to determine whether to keep Bridge or Prukop as the third-stringer. Off of last night's performance, I'd guess Prukop has moved back in front, but I didn't find Prukop to be all that impressive (not that Bridge was, either).

Prukop's TD pass to Watson required a Cahoon-like full-body dive to be caught. Popp had a huge hug for Watson after that TD; Watson kept the football -- read into those two events what you will.

The o-line blocked well most of the game, altho Hamilton likely didn't do a lot of stunting and blitzing. MBT mostly had all day to throw when he was in the game.

Holmes moved over to play centre after McEwen's night was done, and did a fine job. Sackey played centre in the fourth quarter and most of his snaps were low and difficult for Prukop to handle. I would bet he is not making the team -- three years in a row without showing any signs of real development.

Not much notable about the defence. Robbie Smith made a couple of nice plays at DE in the second half. As was the case last week, Boateng, Woodson and Harry all saw a fair bit of time in the secondary. Q. Ford seemed pretty banged up.

No clear winner or loser in the kicking competition but I'd say De La Haye likely has the lowest chance of making the team. It seems to be coming down to either Brown or Crapigna to kick off the ground, and either Pfeffer or Medeiros to punt. I still really like Brown and Medeiros, but would be fine with Crapigna as our FG and kickoff guy.

For two weeks in a row the team stuck very closely to the published depth chart, which is a big change from recent seasons. The guys listed first all started, the guys listed second all went in second, and so on. More notably, the "starters" were largely the same in both ex games. I'd bet that who we saw starting last night is who will start in Game 1, except for injuries (and Franklin, who contrary to reports was in uniform). Bomben didn't dress and will likely be our starter at RG, but S Richards looked fine in that spot last night. Poop Johnson looks to be a more than adequate defensive tackle, if K. Bishop can't get healthy.

ArgoZ
06-07-2019, 12:52 PM

I attended the game. The wind was strong higher up last night. He kicked it higher than the posts and the wind seemed to bring it back. I thought it was good, but might have fooled me too.

Will
06-07-2019, 01:22 PM
A few observations from last night:

MBT looked very good for the second week in a row. And last night it was against the Ticats' first-string defence (in fact, Hamilton kept most of its first-stringers in on defence deep into the second half). He is clearly a viable backup, and I daresay he may yet have an "upside."

Hamilton played its defensive starters in the 2nd quarter, but I don't think it was their starters in the 1st quarter. That being said, the Walker TD was against the starters and the Argos moved the ball well against the Hamilton starters.

paulwoods13
06-07-2019, 01:30 PM
I attended the game. The wind was strong higher up last night. He kicked it higher than the posts and the wind seemed to bring it back. I thought it was good, but might have fooled me too.

That missed kick was weird. The two officials standing under the posts made no call at all, and instead looked back at an official standing at the back of the end zone.

On a slightly related note, for part of the game there was a non-referee (one of the guys in black caps, this year) assuming the referee's duties, while the ref hung around on the sideline. At first I thought maybe they had switched roles to give a younger official some exposure to refereeing, but the actual ref did not seem to be working in the secondary or anywhere else. And the substitute ref had no working mic. And then the real ref came back later. Weird.

paulwoods13
06-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Hamilton played its defensive starters in the 2nd quarter, but I don't think it was their starters in the 1st quarter. That being said, the Walker TD was against the starters and the Argos moved the ball well against the Hamilton starters.

Interesting -- I hadn't noted their personnel in Q1 but it makes sense that it was newbies at first; otherwise they wouldn't have used the new guys enough to get a good read on them. Laurent, Breaux, Lawrence and other starters were still in the game in the fourth quarter. Walker beat a 2018 starter (Rolle) for his TD (which was an extremely well-thrown pass by MBT -- caught Walker in full stride behind the coverage).

argolio
06-07-2019, 02:25 PM

Morealle and Ferguson did a very good job last night. Always good to beat Hamilton. Cut down day will be interesting. As for the qb situation, I can't see all 5 staying, but I see Bridge staying over Prukop, although I can't explain why I sense that. Nice catch by Cole Watson who is attending his 3rd Argo Fantasy Camp.

I think Bridge will get cut. He’s not playing for league minimum and MBT was way better than him in camp and both pre season games. Wasn’t really close either. Bridge was here to win the back up job not the #3 spot, so I predict he will be cut. I wish him luck.For me Bridge has had the better camp, but I see more upside in Prukop.

3rd alternative: If money isn't a huge obstacle (HA!), keep both and alternate them as #3. Protects the team against injury, and lets O'Connor have a worry-free year of development.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8