PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Coombs Released

paulwoods13
06-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Coombs and Gingras Gagnon released. Can't say I'm surprised. Coombs has been injured so often, and again in camp. I really like what he brought to the table, when he brought it. It just wasn't often enough. Clearly Noel and Ralph are on the team, and likely both starting. With Cibasu backing up Cross at H-back.

Wobbler
06-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Coombs' release isn't a surprise but I wasn't expecting Gingras-Gagnon's. I hope this means that Cibasu has had a good camp and that we can expect more H-Back in the offense.

dmont
06-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Coombs and Gingras Gagnon released. Can't say I'm surprised. Coombs has been injured so often, and again in camp. I really like what he brought to the table, when he brought it. It just wasn't often enough. Clearly Noel and Ralph are on the team, and likely both starting. With Cibasu backing up Cross at H-back.

I'm ok with this. Good luck to them! How much u wanna bet they're on Winnipeg or Hamilton soon?

paulwoods13
06-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Coombs will be in Wpg. I don't think Ticats are looking for NAT receivers or h-backs.

AngeloV
06-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Coombs will be in Wpg. I don't think Ticats are looking for NAT receivers or h-backs.

I’m thinking Edmonton, especially with the season ending injury to Anthony Parker. Saskatchewan also a possibility as they run a similar offence to what Trestman and Milanovich do. I don’t think Winnipeg needs him.

Neely2005
06-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Unfortunate that he just couldn't stay healthy.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/05/argos-release-national-wr-anthony-coombs/

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Was Coombs' latest injury ever mentioned or just speculation?

paulwoods13
06-05-2019, 10:50 PM
All I know is that he was not dressed last week. Have to believe he'd have suited up if 100% healthy.

OV Argo
06-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Maybe it was health concern issues, but also could be style of receiver - Coombs did well as a tailback conversion project and took over that Durie style hybrid slotback role in the offence; but this offence may have more focus on downfield, pure receiver skills, and the likes of Noel or Ralph (or draft pick Gittens) are probably well ahead of Coombs there IMO.

Ottawa would be smart to pick-up Coombs IMO and he could be a depth fit as both receiver & tailback (they're going to start a mediocre like Madu there?)

Shatto
06-05-2019, 11:29 PM
There were probably 3 factors involved in the decision to release Coombs:
1) His injury history, which is likely the primary reason
2) As others have mentioned, the team has gone away from the hybrid RB/WR role to a more pure WR role
3) As a starting NAT he was likely receiving a reasonably good salary. This helps with the cap.

AngeloV
06-06-2019, 08:00 AM
This saddened me. I am a huge fan of Coombs, but in watching the team a few times in practice and at the pre season game, looks like they have no plans for a hybrid RB/SB spot that Pinball and later Durie excelled in.

AngeloV
06-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Maybe it was health concern issues, but also could be style of receiver - Coombs did well as a tailback conversion project and took over that Durie style hybrid slotback role in the offence; but this offence may have more focus on downfield, pure receiver skills, and the likes of Noel or Ralph (or draft pick Gittens) are probably well ahead of Coombs there IMO.

Ottawa would be smart to pick-up Coombs IMO and he could be a depth fit as both receiver & tailback (they're going to start a mediocre like Madu there?)

Definitely style of receiver. I think the Argos want to go bigger at that spot and Noel played pretty well there late last season.

gilthethrill
06-06-2019, 11:47 AM
I think Coombs will be reunited with Jim Barker in Hamilton. If he goes there that could Kibosh the conversion of DB Jackson Bennett to RB. Also don't rule out Tampa Bay of the XFL as a landing spot for the youngster.

OV Argo
06-06-2019, 11:12 PM
I think Coombs will be reunited with Jim Barker in Hamilton. If he goes there that could Kibosh the conversion of DB Jackson Bennett to RB. Also don't rule out Tampa Bay of the XFL as a landing spot for the youngster.

Honestly, you believe the XFL is going to recruit any Canadian player for even a try-out ? Maybe if the guy had ex-NFL on his resume, but otherwise forget it for Canadian players out of the the Canadian system. The good ole US expansion period of the CFL featured ZERO Canadians getting any kind of shot to make any of those US based teams.

Jackson Bennett - outstanding D player (at both OLB and in the secondary) in CIS ball, getting converted to RB by Steinauer is a total joke IMO, and shows the lack of respect from a lot of GOBs for Canadian talent at specific positions (most D positions) - and as i have pointed out before - ALL CFL teams could have drafted Kwaku Boateng or Jordan Herdman to compete on their defences; but total lack of respect there - both those guys are umpteen times better than the mediocre imports Desjardins & Campbell will trot out to play on the Ottawa defence at their positions, for example.

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Honestly, you believe the XFL is going to recruit any Canadian player for even a try-out ? Maybe if the guy had ex-NFL on his resume, but otherwise forget it for Canadian players out of the the Canadian system. The good ole US expansion period of the CFL featured ZERO Canadians getting any kind of shot to make any of those US based teams.

Jackson Bennett - outstanding D player (at both OLB and in the secondary) in CIS ball, getting converted to RB by Steinauer is a total joke IMO, and shows the lack of respect from a lot of GOBs for Canadian talent at specific positions (most D positions) - and as i have pointed out before - ALL CFL teams could have drafted Kwaku Boateng or Jordan Herdman to compete on their defences; but total lack of respect there - both those guys are umpteen times better than the mediocre imports Desjardins & Campbell will trot out to play on the Ottawa defence at their positions, for example.

Call me crazy, but I feel like I’ve read this rant before.

OV Argo
06-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Tom Clements, you're no goode - a terrible QB ?

AngeloV
06-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Tom Clements, you're no goode - a terrible QB ?

Yeah, OK.

KCargosfan
06-07-2019, 09:44 PM

haha. Same.

R.J
06-08-2019, 12:55 AM
Not surprising at all considering the Argos offense isn't tailored for screen passes galore, the hybrid slotback position, Coombs injury problems, and most likely his salary.

jerrym
06-08-2019, 08:10 PM
As much as I loved what I saw when he played, his major injuries on an ongoing basis made this an understandable cut.

Foxhound
06-10-2019, 11:16 AM
This saddened me. I am a huge fan of Coombs, but in watching the team a few times in practice and at the pre season game, looks like they have no plans for a hybrid RB/SB spot that Pinball and later Durie excelled in.

Sad. I really liked the way Anthony Coombs filled Andre Durie's shoes at SB. But the SB position has unfortunately evolved from being a hybrid halfback/inside receiver position to a simple inside receiver position and Coombs just didn't fit.

Any further rumours/prognostications of where he might resurface? Coombs definitely seems to be the type of player Michael O'Shea in Winnipeg or Jason Maas in Edmonton might favour though.

AngeloV
06-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Sad. I really liked the way Anthony Coombs filled Andre Durie's shoes at SB. But the SB position has unfortunately evolved from being a hybrid halfback/inside receiver position to a simple inside receiverposition and Coombs just didn't fit.

Any further rumours/prognostications of where he might resurface? Coombs definitely seems to be the type of player Michael O'Shea in Winnipeg or Jason Maas in Edmonton might favour though.

I don't see a fit in Winnipeg for him, but Edmonton or Saskatchewan make sense.

Neely2005
06-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Signed to Hamilton's PR:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/19/former-argo-anthony-coombs-added-ticats-pr/

AngeloV
06-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Signed to Hamilton's PR:

Crap!!

paulwoods13
06-19-2019, 12:53 PM
I wish him well. If he stays healthy he can still have an impact in this league.

bannedforlife
06-19-2019, 01:17 PM
I'm not familiar with what happened but if Hamilton is going with a Canadian running back (Thomas) why did they let Timmis go and then sign a Canadian with a similar position.

j-ski
06-19-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm not familiar with what happened but if Hamilton is going with a Canadian running back (Thomas) why did they let Timmis go and then sign a Canadian with a similar position.
They probably wouldn't have gone Canadian at running back if June Jones was still offensive co-ordinator.

1971GreyCup
06-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Classic Jim Barker move.

gilthethrill
06-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Classic Jim Barker move.

It's not uncommon for a former GM who drafted a player to bring him on board with a new team.

paulwoods13
06-19-2019, 04:35 PM

They didn't let Timmis go. He left of his own accord as a free agent. Speaking of Timmis, it's a shame he is on the shelf, and I hear it might be for a while.

doubleblue
06-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Signed to Hamilton's PR:

I'm happy he landed somewhere as he is to talented a player to be done at his age. I just don't see him as a every down running back but as a player who can get you yards in the open field. Has to play the slot to be effective IMO. I was interested to see how he would look at WR where the Argos had him lined up, but it didn't work out for what ever reason. Maybe Anthony's mind set is that he is a RB not a WR, don't know. But I do know being a RB in USports and being one in the CFL is a whole different ball game. Especially the physical side of things.

Neely2005
07-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Coombs into the game for Hamilton due to an injury and he's looking very good so far.

gilthethrill
07-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Coombs into the game for Hamilton due to an injury and he's looking very good so far.

Of course he is. Argos had no intent of keeping him when they converted him to WR this preseason. We could use a Canadian RB on the roster. CVZ looks good again this week again too.

Shatto
07-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Coombs, Hajrullhu, Murray, Tuggle, Wynn and Van Zeyl, all looking good for the Cats. Pity we couldn't have them on the Argo roster. Oh yea, we did.

Is any of that the Barker effect? Maybe we should have him for GM.

The above, is of course, tongue in cheek but it does make one wonder about who is selecting talent for the team.

jerrym
07-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Coombs looked pretty good tonight with 5 catches in 6 attempts for 61 yards against the Als. It makes dealing with the Argos very lopsided first two losses all the more painful to contemplate. I wish him all the best as he always gave his best with the Argos but was limited in production due to injuries.

Foxhound
07-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Coombs looked pretty good tonight with 5 catches in 6 attempts for 61 yards against the Als.

Not to mention his six carries for 51 yards for an average of 8.5 yards per carry! A combined total of 112 yards from scrimmage. Not bad at all for a fellow pencilled in as a backup.

:)

Neely2005
07-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Coombs, Hajrullhu, Murray, Tuggle, Wynn and Van Zeyl, all looking good for the Cats. Pity we couldn't have them on the Argo roster. Oh yea, we did.

Is any of that the Barker effect? Maybe we should have him for GM.

The above, is of course, tongue in cheek but it does make one wonder about who is selecting talent for the team.

Yeah it doesn't seem that their replacements are as good.

Joe Barnes
07-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Yeah it doesn't seem that their replacements are as good.

I've been thinking the same thing. It makes it harder to dislike Hamilton as I really enjoyed watching all of those guys now with the Cats when they were Argos! Also, would we be better or worse off with Bear Woods and/or Marcus Ball on the D?

paulwoods13
07-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Also, would we be better or worse off with Bear Woods and/or Marcus Ball on the D?

I have to believe Ball (even as inconsistent as he was last year) would be a better option that Wild has been so far. His tackling was atrocious last game. But of course looking at players in isolation ignores the financial realities. Wild may be making $20 or $30k less than Ball was making/would expect to make. Orgs have to weigh all these factors; money undoubtedly had some impact on the releases of CVZ and Coombs, at least.

Ryan52
07-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Not surprising at all considering the Argos offense isn't tailored for screen passes galore, the hybrid slotback position, Coombs injury problems, and most likely his salary.Nailed it. A perfect storm for him to get cut, it happens

AngeloV
07-05-2019, 10:30 PM
I have to believe Ball (even as inconsistent as he was last year) would be a better option that Wild has been so far. His tackling was atrocious last game.

I would like to see them try Awe at weak side and Herdman-Reed in the middle. Wild is still a good ST player and back-up, and is also a good emergency long snapper.

ArgoRavi
07-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Nobody has ever questioned Coombs' talent but that talent does little good if it is out of the lineup for large chunks of every season.

AngeloV
07-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Nobody has ever questioned Coombs' talent but that talent does little good if it is out of the lineup for large chunks of every season.

I have to disagree. To me, moving Coombs to boundary WR, a position we all knew he would not be a playing was a slap in the face. If they were going to do that, they should have tried to trade him or release him long before camp opened. Argos erred big time on this one. And you know I have never bought into the notion that players are injury prone. He’s had bad luck, yes. But there is no guarantee he will be ever get hurt again. At the very least, he should have been dressed as a back up to Wilder.

Neely2005
07-06-2019, 11:44 PM
I have to disagree. To me, moving Coombs to boundary WR, a position we all knew he would not be a playing was a slap in the face. If they were going to do that, they should have tried to trade him or release him long before camp opened. Argos erred big time on this one. And you know I have never bought into the notion that players are injury prone. He’s had bad luck, yes. But there is no guarantee he will be ever get hurt again. At the very least, he should have been dressed as a back up to Wilder.

So you don't think that Zach Collaros and Joffery Lupul are/were injury prone?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8