PDA

View Full Version : Thursday June 13, 2019 - Saskatchewan Roughriders @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats Game Thread

Will
06-10-2019, 12:00 PM
The season opens with the Roughriders making a trip east to face the Ticats.

AngeloV
06-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Go Greenies!!!

Will
06-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Things to look for:

- How will the passing game develop with anticipated rain showers on Thursday?
- William Powell vs. the projected Hamilton D-line; if it is raining does that swing advantage a bit to Saskatchewan? Hamilton's D-line is supposed to be quite good.
- Collaros looked good in 2nd pre-season game against Winnipeg, does it translate to the regular season?

argolio
06-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Rider D dominance leads to a victory.

gilthethrill
06-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Masoli had his career year last season. He will struggle tonight big time.

argolio
06-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Simoni Lawrence is now public enemy #1 in Rider-land. Hope Collaros is okay.

Except for that, it was a good game. The punt return TD was pretty much the difference.

Wobbler
06-13-2019, 10:40 PM
If the CFL wants to demonstrate that it takes neurological health seriously (and maybe gain some ammo for future lawsuits), it needs to start punishing deliberate and/or avoidable blows to the head more severely. Some sort of suspension even for a first offense would be nice to see; it shouldn't take a series of fouls (looking at you, Kyries Hebert) before players start losing paycheques.

argolio
06-13-2019, 10:51 PM
I think he should get a one-game suspension. While not a dirty player like Hebert, Lawrence has had some questionable hits in his career.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 12:21 AM
I think he should get a one-game suspension. While not a dirty player like Hebert, Lawrence has had some questionable hits in his career.

And then what was it, 2 plays later? Delvin Breaux decides he wants in on the all a-hole team. Kills me he thought he did nothing wrong. F the Ti-Cats!!!

mchesher03
06-14-2019, 08:58 AM

For a league and a player's association both advocating for "player's safety" - how do they not punish Lawrence for this? this was entirely preventable and feels pre-mediated, imo - i know we have no idea what his intent was or wasn't.

regardless, indifferent if Lawrence plays against us next week but I do think he should receive punishment for this. If he plays against us, hope he stays within the rules for a change.

mchesher03
06-14-2019, 08:59 AM
And then what was it, 2 plays later? Delvin Breaux decides he wants in on the all a-hole team. Kills me he thought he did nothing wrong. F the Ti-Cats!!!

I missed this - is there any video of the Breux hit out there?

doubleblue
06-14-2019, 10:32 AM
If the CFL wants to demonstrate that it takes neurological health seriously (and maybe gain some ammo for future lawsuits), it needs to start punishing deliberate and/or avoidable blows to the head more severely. Some sort of suspension even for a first offense would be nice to see; it shouldn't take a series of fouls (looking at you, Kyries Hebert) before players start losing paycheques.

The CFL will probably fine and give Lawrence a game, but IMO he should have been kicked out of game plus a fine and suspension. The new CPA probably has a max on fines and suspensions, so it will not be that severe a hit to the pocket book. I thought player safety was suppose to be a big deal in this last contract.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 12:13 PM
I missed this - is there any video of the Breux hit out there?

Oh yeah. Matt Dunnigan brought it up at halftime as they were talking about the Lawrence cheap shot. The RB dropped the pass on the sidelines, and to me it looked like Breaux paused knowing the ball was incomplete and then proceeded to hit him anyway. It was a hard, late hit. He was penalized for it, and then reacted like it wasn't the right call.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 12:14 PM
The CFL will probably fine and give Lawrence a game, but IMO he should have been kicked out of game plus a fine and suspension. The new CPA probably has a max on fines and suspensions, so it will not be that severe a hit to the pocket book. I thought player safety was suppose to be a big deal in this last contract.

100%

Will
06-14-2019, 01:08 PM
No excuse for that Lawrence hit. Gonna be very interesting to see how the league handles it.

As for the game, it was a low-scoring battle just as I expected.

Powell was successful running the ball so it'll be very interesting to see if Argos can replicate that with Wilder, Burks, Sutton or whoever next week.

Masoli looked very rusty.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Masoli looked very rusty.

Hamilton's O really failed to impress. 238 yards of total offence is not good. Lucky for them the ST's came through in a big way. Only 1 game and the Riders have a very good D on paper, but I think June Jones will turn out to be a HUGE loss for the tabbies.

OV Argo
06-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Agreed - Hamilton's offence looked like not much / Masoli was rusty - not much downfield passing attack and the 2 new import receivers did nothing; Erlington - with over 100 yards from scrimmage - shoulda been player of the game over Masoli, IMO. The Riders need more at receiver - maybe Manny helps if he gets in the line-up, and they should give Canadian receiver talent like Picton or McInnis a shot instead of not good enough imports played all game.

Both teams have some pretty good D talent, but nothing close to a dominant D performance from either side.

That Harker kid looked impressive when he got in the game at QB for the Riders - are those dorks who run the CFL really going to mandate only 2 QBs dressed next season, or is going to be a team option ? Ambrosie ??? - this is a stupid move by the CFL and I don't give a rat'$ @SS if some almighty NFL teams dress only 2 QBs - last night's game was evidence enough; your 1st 2 QBs go down then what ? - an embarassing/joke of an offence the rest of the game with no real QB ?

Wobbler
06-16-2019, 09:07 PM
You're right. I forgive the league for not being quite ready for this stupidity on the third play of the season, but the "upon further reflection" response must send a message. Maximum CPA-allowed penalty, plus harsh language, please.

Ron
06-18-2019, 03:02 AM
To go along with the suspension and fines. If the player that was hit (victim) ever sues in the future for CTE ... then the player (Lawrence) automatically gets added to the lawsuit for a % of responsiblity.

Make these guys $$ responsible and the hits like that will disappear. Alleged dirty players frankly don't care about a penalty if they get to do a kill shot on a another player. Like in the rest of society there are some alleged sicko's that somehow manage to have these alleged accidents more than once.

CFLfan
06-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Yes he should've been kicked out of the game.
Some fans especially in Hamilton are upset because Rose didn't get a suspension when he pushed the ref. But he did get ejected from the game just before half time. So it was a fine plus a half game suspension. At least with the Rose incident there was no intent or accidental attempt to hit another player when he was down.

AngeloV
06-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Yes he should've been kicked out of the game.
Some fans especially in Hamilton are upset because Rose didn't get a suspension when he pushed the ref. But he did get ejected from the game just before half time. So it was a fine plus a half game suspension. At least with the Rose incident there was no intent or accidental attempt to hit another player when he was down.

No defending Rose. It's a joke that his suspension went away.

CFLfan
06-19-2019, 10:13 AM
No defending Rose. It's a joke that his suspension went away.

I agree no excuse for his behaviour. For the CFL not to suspend him they must have looked at it again as I did on you tube. He gets up off the ground and stumbles forward and knocks the ref down with no intent. You can't even compare this to the Lawrence hit and Lawrence was not ejected from the game and Rose was.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8