PDA

View Full Version : Here is the coaching conundrum

Will
07-19-2019, 12:31 AM
As bad as Chamblin's coaching decisions have been this year, you can make the argument that he hasn't lost the room.

If Popp pulls a Popp and fires Chamblin and hires himself...well...then you probably lose the room which would make any improvement to coaching decisions (if any) moot.

Argo57
07-19-2019, 12:52 AM
As bad as Chamblin's coaching decisions have been this year, you can make the argument that he hasn't lost the room.

If Popp pulls a Popp and fires Chamblin and hires himself...well...then you probably lose the room which would make any improvement to coaching decisions (if any) moot.

Clean house at the end of the season.
Player evaluation and development not good enough, coaching staff not good enough, on field product not good enough.
A totally fresh approach is badly needed top to bottom!!

mchesher03
07-19-2019, 07:21 AM
Does it speak poorly to our players that he hasn’t lost the room yet? The coaching decisions and clock management this season have been abysmal. Punting with 2:30 left down two scores? As others have said, why not just take a knee and expedite the process.

cfl-cis fan
07-21-2019, 07:36 PM
Player evaluation and development not good enough, coaching staff not good enough, on field product not good enough.

Really dont think all need to go. I think the OC, ST and OLine coach have to go. Blocked punt! short yardage O which used to be a strength is gone thanks to OLine coach. Offense would be more effective if they could get the running game going and QB spreading the ball around.

Argo57
07-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Really dont think all need to go. I think the OC, ST and OLine coach have to go. Blocked punt! short yardage O which used to be a strength is gone thanks to OLine coach. Offense would be more effective if they could get the running game going and QB spreading the ball around.

GM Popp, HC and DC Chamblin will be gone as well, who does that leave?
Incoming coach will want to select his own staff so yes a housecleaning is in order.

AngeloV
07-21-2019, 09:57 PM

Let’s wait and see how the last 13 games go before deciding to clean house. If they don’t turn it around, I think the house cleaning will begin, and hopefully start by hiring a solo club president.

Argo57
07-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Let’s wait and see how the last 13 games go before deciding to clean house. If they don’t turn it around, I think the house cleaning will begin, and hopefully start by hiring a solo club president.

At this point the Argos will probably struggle to match last year’s record of 4-14 which will dictate substantial change.
Sure, let’s see how it plays out but I suspect we already know how this story will end.

Neely2005
07-21-2019, 10:47 PM

I'm hoping that they hire a solo president regardless.

Shatto
07-21-2019, 11:58 PM
No one is questioning Manning's past achievements or abilities but that is not the point. This team needs a president dedicated to one thing and one thing only---making the Argos a success both on and off the field. That person must have only one priority and that will demand his full attention. He has to be evaluated and live and die based on the success of the Argos.

Ideally, he should have charisma and be the highly recognizable public face of the team. Obviously Clemons comes to mind but there are others who could fit the bill. Flutie perhaps but others may have even better suggestions. I know this seems like beating a dead horse (keep repeating myself) but my personal experience has convinced me that the individual at the top, sets the direction and culture of any organization and is fundamental for determining the success or failure of that organization

It has been reported that BMO is going to be more Argo friendly over the next 5-6 years. Hopefully a new president would realize, that has to occur as soon as possible. As an aside why hasn't that occurred before now since this is the team's 4th year at BMO?

I am always impressed with the passion that posters have for this team. We may not always agree but we need people like those on this site who have a fervent desire to see the Argos, like phoenix, rise out of the ashes.

Ron
07-22-2019, 04:59 AM
GM Popp, HC and DC Chamblin will be gone as well, who does that leave?
Incoming coach will want to select his own staff so yes a housecleaning is in order.

Lots of assuming on who will be gone. Potentially none will be gone. Just 4 years ago it was a safe bet that O'Shea would be gone. Sometimes things have to play out.

AngeloV
07-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Lots of assuming on who will be gone. Potentially none will be gone. Just 4 years ago it was a safe bet that O'Shea would be gone. Sometimes things have to play out.

I’m convinced O’Shea was 1 loss away from being fired I believe it was in 2016.

Jon Gonzo
07-22-2019, 11:10 PM
Popp's contract is up at the end of the season. Easy to see that a new regime will be coming, at least at season's end, if things don't turn around quickly.

I think the Argos need to be looking a couple of in-season tweaks.

Jonathan Himebauch had a positive affect when he came into replace Mitch Browning in 2017 and a change at Special Teams, and possibly OL may be something they'll need to address if Chamblin wants to continue at the helm.

This is the CFL, and we all recall the 0 -8 Hamilton Tiger-Cats from 2017, when they brought in June Jones in late August.

He finished the season 6-4 and it got him a new contract.

Mike Benevides is available and has coached teams before. He has also been a DC, and a Head Coach should we need one on standby.

NCBomberfan
07-23-2019, 09:47 PM
I’m convinced O’Shea was 1 loss away from being fired I believe it was in 2016.

From a Bomber fan, yes this is true, but you have to keep in mind something. The reason O'Shea was coming under heat was that our front office had spent that offseason going after known talent in the free agent pool including Andrew Harris and Weston Dressler. Plus getting Lapolice back also led to expectations being raised.

The real problem holding that team back was Drew Willy's deteriorated QB play, so therefore all it took was switching him out for Nichols and the rest was history. At this point, I don't think switching out the QB in Toronto to whoever is just going to fix it. And that's no slight on O'Shea, he's come a long way from when he started in 2014 and I have confidence he'll end our cup drought.

I just think Chamblin is in a bit of a deeper hole than Osh was, and I think he did himself no favors bringing in Chapdelaine again. Really don't understand how that guy keeps getting jobs after what he did to Montreal.

I guess you could make an argument either way on whether or not Chamblin should stay or go once the season is all done, but whatever he's doing just doesn't seem to be inspiring players the way his counterpart Khari Jones is doing over in the big M.

Argo57
07-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Looking at past and present success around the league reminds me how good our coaching staff was in 2012.
(Milanovich, Maas, McAdoo, Chris Jones, Mike O’Shea and Orlando Steinauer).

ArgoZ
07-24-2019, 12:58 PM
The real problem holding that team back was Drew Willy's deteriorated QB play, so therefore all it took was switching him out for Nichols and the rest was history. At this point, I don't think switching out the QB in Toronto to whoever is just going to fix it. And that's no slight on O'Shea, he's come a long way from when he started in 2014 and I have confidence he'll end our cup drought.

This team has been hurting since the loss of Ray and this season has the same quality of QB as last. The team instantly became better when MBT replaced Franklin. Imagine a great QB in there? Too bad Reilly didn’t play for the Argos, it looks like their line is better than the Lions.

gilthethrill
07-24-2019, 02:19 PM
This team has been hurting since the loss of Ray and this season has the same quality of QB as last. The team instantly became better when MBT replaced Franklin. Imagine a great QB in there? Too bad Reilly didn’t play for the Argos, it looks like their line is better than the Lions.

There's no way I would pay one player $750,000.00 (especially an aging qb) when the cap is around 5 million. BC is stuck because of it. There would be no Derel Walker in Double Blue, amongst others.

ArgoZ
07-24-2019, 05:17 PM
There's no way I would pay one player $750,000.00 (especially an aging qb) when the cap is around 5 million. BC is stuck because of it. There would be no Derel Walker in Double Blue, amongst others.

His salary is steep. Perhaps I should have said a player like Reilly. Then again, it’s MLSE and if it means they are over the cap, big deal. Like I said before, no Wilder, Green or Franklin next year, so they will have lots of room. I think this team would have 3-4 wins with him as our QB and all this doom talk would be non-existent.

AngeloV
07-24-2019, 05:32 PM
His salary is steep. Perhaps I should have said a player like Reilly. Then again, it’s MLSE and if it means they are over the cap, big deal. Like I said before, no Wilder, Green or Franklin next year, so they will have lots of room. I think this team would have 3-4 wins with him as our QB and all this doom talk would be non-existent.

This is where both sides blew it in the CBA. No player should be allowed to make more than 10% of the cap. Hurts the teams, and more importantly, hurts the earning possibilities of the rest of the PA members.

Argo57
07-24-2019, 05:45 PM
This is where both sides blew it in the CBA. No player should be allowed to make more than 10% of the cap. Hurts the teams, and more importantly, hurts the earning possibilities of the rest of the PA members.

👍Simple and sensible solution, also hurts the overall quality of play when you allocate so much of a teams cap to one player.

jerrym
07-25-2019, 01:09 AM
Looking at past and present success around the league reminds me how good our coaching staff was in 2012.
(Milanovich, Maas, McAdoo, Chris Jones, Mike O’Shea and Orlando Steinauer).

We were blessed then.

1971GreyCup
08-17-2019, 07:19 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-to-bring-in-former-alouettes-qb-jonathan-crompton-as-offensive-coach-1.1352461

Argos bring in Crompton as offensive coach
TSN.ca Staff

Jonathan Crompton , The Canadian Press
The Toronto Argonauts are bringing in former Montreal Alouettes quarterback Jonathan Crompton to be an offensive coach to assist offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine, according to TSN's Matthew
Crompton spent three seasons in the CFL and retired from professional football in 2017.

doubleblue
08-17-2019, 08:21 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-to-bring-in-former-alouettes-qb-jonathan-crompton-as-offensive-coach-1.1352461

Argos bring in Crompton as offensive coach
TSN.ca Staff

Jonathan Crompton , The Canadian Press
The Toronto Argonauts are bringing in former Montreal Alouettes quarterback Jonathan Crompton to be an offensive coach to assist offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine, according to TSN's Matthew
Crompton spent three seasons in the CFL and retired from professional football in 2017.

Jonathan Crompton, the guy with the great hair. He had a few moments with the Als. But I wonder what Coaching experience he has had the last three years. Has to be the Jim Popp connection.
There was a guy roaming the sidelines last night who has probably forgot more about offense and play calling than the whole Coaching Staff knows. Damien Allen. Has anybody ever asked him if he would be interested? I do believe I read once that he was only interested in the Management side of things.

ArgoRavi
08-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Jonathan Crompton, the guy with the great hair. He had a few moments with the Als. But I wonder what Coaching experience he has had the last three years. Has to be the Jim Popp connection.
There was a guy roaming the sidelines last night who has probably forgot more about offense and play calling than the whole Coaching Staff knows. Damien Allen. Has anybody ever asked him if he would be interested? I do believe I read once that he was only interested in the Management side of things.

I recall Allen saying that he was only interested in being a head coach.

It is interesting how often marginal quarterbacks, like Crompton and Ryan Dinwiddie, make much better coaches than players.

Argo57
08-20-2019, 09:11 PM
I recall Allen saying that he was only interested in being a head coach.

It is interesting how often marginal quarterbacks, like Crompton and Ryan Dinwiddie, make much better coaches than players.

It’s the same in many sports Ravi, guys like Craig Berube, Joel Quenneville in the NHL, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich in the NFL come to mind.
My guess is they had to study and understand the nuances of their respective sports to stay in the game a skill set that has served them well as Head Coaches.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8