PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of Lemon’s inactivity shows no signs of clearing up

Neely2005
07-22-2019, 08:38 AM
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/mystery-of-lemons-inactivity-shows-no-signs-of-clearing-up

1971GreyCup
07-22-2019, 08:45 AM
Has this talented journeyman time come to an end? Sent packing to B.C. by the Argos in 2018 for not minding the gap. Posted impressive numbers in B.C. on a team that gave up on Wally Buono. Surely he’s played on more CFL teams than Duran Carter.

cfl-cis fan
07-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Has this talented journeyman time come to an end? Sent packing to B.C. by the Argos in 2018 for not minding the gap. Posted impressive numbers in B.C. on a team that gave up on Wally Buono. Surely he’s played on more CFL teams than Duran Carter.

Think we are all reading too much into this. He is injured and the team would prefer as little info out as usual.

paulwoods13
07-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Think we are all reading too much into this. He is injured and the team would prefer as little info out as usual.

If he's injured, why was he moved off IL to the active roster before the last game? Why not extend him for another one-game stint on IL?

Jon Gonzo
07-22-2019, 10:03 PM
What is the definition of insanity? Once again, the Defense is better with him on it, and yet once again, he is not.

AngeloV
07-23-2019, 07:43 AM
What is the definition of insanity? Once again, the Defense is better with him on it, and yet once again, he is not.

I don’t disagree, but having said that, the D just played their best game of the season without him.

Jon Gonzo
07-23-2019, 08:09 AM
I don’t disagree, but having said that, the D just played their best game of the season without him.

And I am happy about that but overall it seems the GM & Coach aren't in lockstep regarding personnel and that troubles me. Some things in football, like injuries, are unavoidable but they made this team worse last year when they ditched him. Why go back to a player that will soak up that much of your salary if you aren't convinced you can feature him?

It makes winning and then marketing impossible, for this team anyway, when we are doing business like that.

Easy to market C.Hughes, Biggie, or Jefferson in other markets. These are the players Jim Popp needs to recruit and sign. And the Coach has to be into it.

1971GreyCup
07-23-2019, 08:13 AM
Franklin, Lemon and Carter weren’t Trestman favourites. Get rid of Trestman and see what happens, right? How’d that work out? I know, hindsight is 20/20!

Perhaps if patience was shown in 2018 and the rout continued, we’d have had the resources to change coaches now? However, the coach change might have been the same. I believe the Argos thought there was a real chance of getting Hamilton’s HC Steinhauer. June June’s stepping down early was a very astute move.

paulwoods13
07-23-2019, 08:15 AM
When Lemon was re-signed, Popp spoke pretty bluntly about what went wrong last year with Lemon -- how he chafed in the system, and alienated his coaches -- and said things had come close to boiling over in 2017 as well. Chamblin said he told Lemon that the sacks he accumulated with B.C. after the trade were not nearly as many as he was actually capable of. Reading between the lines, I am guessing that Lemon is again at war with his coaches. Maybe there is nothing to this, but the fact he was taken off IL last week but not flown to Alberta to join the team tells me something is out of whack.

gilthethrill
07-23-2019, 12:58 PM
I think both Shawn and Cleo Lemon have played their last game as a member of the Double Blue.

Argo57
07-23-2019, 01:08 PM
I think both Shawn and Cleo Lemon have played their last game as a member of the Double Blue.

If correct (which you probably are) Lemon maybe running out of chances in the CFL.

gilthethrill
07-23-2019, 01:40 PM
If correct (which you probably are) Lemon maybe running out of chances in the CFL.

I disagree. I think Lemon (Shawn) knows how to win. In addition he is one of the best DEs in the league. I know he was unhappy with last year's DC, but it seems the team is screwing it up somehow this season. He will land somewhere again and be productive...again.

Argo57
07-26-2019, 11:23 AM
According to Dunk, Argos trying to deal Lemon.

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/26/argos-trying-to-sell-high-on-shawn-lemon-as-the-ship-sinks/

Jon Gonzo
07-26-2019, 11:33 AM
According to Dunk, Argos trying to deal Lemon.

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/26/argos-trying-to-sell-high-on-shawn-lemon-as-the-ship-sinks/

So, the Argos don't need a pass rush? Are they dealing from strength? I don't see it.
So the insanity prevails. To me, this is another indicator that we have a mis-managed team in Toronto.
Come next year, no choice but to look at the future.
I had high hopes for Jim Popp as a longterm executive in Toronto, but he hasn't won many football games in the past 5-6 seasons. Nowhere near enough.

Argo57
07-26-2019, 12:00 PM
So, the Argos don't need a pass rush? Are they dealing from strength? I don't see it.
So the insanity prevails. To me, this is another indicator that we have a mis-managed team in Toronto.
Come next year, no choice but to look at the future.
I had high hopes for Jim Popp as a longterm executive in Toronto, but he hasn't won many football games in the past 5-6 seasons. Nowhere near enough.

Teams will simply wait until Lemon gets released then sign him, the bizarre season continues.
If this season continues as is (which seems highly probable) a fresh direction in player development, roster management and coaching will be greatly welcomed.

Neely2005
07-26-2019, 12:11 PM
Teams will simply wait until Lemon gets released then sign him, the bizarre season continues.
If this season continues as is (which seems highly probable) a fresh direction in player development, roster management and coaching will be greatly welcomed.

Hopefully Toronto isn't dumb enough to cut him.

gilthethrill
07-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Play him! His stock will rise if he plays well. Teams know he is on the block now, so yes, get him cheap or wait until he is released.

Wobbler
07-26-2019, 02:09 PM
They must be fairly close to a deal if they are focusing on keeping him healthy. Otherwise wouldn't it make more sense to try to win a game or two?

ArgoRavi
08-01-2019, 02:55 PM
When Lemon was re-signed, Popp spoke pretty bluntly about what went wrong last year with Lemon -- how he chafed in the system, and alienated his coaches -- and said things had come close to boiling over in 2017 as well. Chamblin said he told Lemon that the sacks he accumulated with B.C. after the trade were not nearly as many as he was actually capable of. Reading between the lines, I am guessing that Lemon is again at war with his coaches. Maybe there is nothing to this, but the fact he was
taken off IL last week but not flown to Alberta to join the team tells me something is out of whack.

You have hit the nail on the head, Paul. There are valid reasons why Lemon has bounced around this league so much.

mchesher03
08-12-2019, 09:09 AM
and like that, he's gone again. Back to BC. In retrospect, given how he left the first time, was surprising he re-signed here and the same thing happened. Similar to the defensive back TJ Heath last year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8