PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan St. Pierre

Wobbler
06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Is anyone else surprised that he was apparently never tried at center? In camp, apparently only Keeping and Parenteau have been seriously evaluated at that position (http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3578333). I could understand wanting to keep Gagne-Marcoux at guard, but if St. Pierre isn't able to play center why is he even on the roster?

ArgoRavi
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Is anyone else surprised that he was apparently never tried at center? In camp, apparently only Keeping and Parenteau have been seriously evaluated at that position (http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3578333). I could understand wanting to keep Gagne-Marcoux at guard, but if St. Pierre isn't able to play center why is he even on the roster?

Now that you mention it, it is strange that St. Pierre doesn't seem to be in the running at centre. I haven't heard his name at all in the media reports from camp.

OV Argo
06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Yep - bizzare IMO; guy was a pretty highly rated C in Div I ball; but i guess hasn't panned out in the CFL; Keeping ahead of him on a CFL depth chart at C is a real head scratcher; and Parenteau was an all-star OT in US college ball, has played mostly OG in the CFL, but got to play some C as an injury replacement last year for the Riders (and not to great reviews) but is now #1 at C for the Argos ???

I'm a bit concerned about the Argos O-Line; plenty of decent CFL experience; but Wayne Smith has some real injury issue history and other guys playing out of position (Parenteau as a C; Eppelle now a guard i guess (and sure he played some there last year, but he was an OT in college ball); and Gagne-Marcoux was a star C in US college ball - why is he not being looked at there instead of OG?) Hopefully it all pans out well - Ray needs to be protected and you need some good solid run blocking to open holes for Boyd.

And IMO - the Argos look very thin on the O-Line in general; but maybe they can hope to pick up some cuts from some other teams that seem to have tons of depth - some in NI O-Linemen; eg. - the Esks sound like they are going to pencil in imports only at OT yet they have a slew of former top rated NI O-Linemen and with experience - how are they going to keep all of Koch, Rottier, Wojt, Ramsay and Hinse (who looked impressive as a rookie C last year) - 5 guys with CFL starting experience for the interior 3 positions, plus last year's 1st rounder Scott Mitchell (star OT in US college ball, but apparently not good enough to compete with imports at OT in Tillspin's books). The Als are also loaded in NI O-line depth - some top prospects behind their 5 NI starters. I'd be trying to make a trade with one of those two teams or at least sniffing around their cuts or sweeping in for a steal on their PR.

Also - what is up with Tyler Holmes - getting an NFL shot ?

ArgoRavi
06-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Tyler Holmes is with the Minnesota Vikings currently.

Argocister
06-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Just my 2 cents worth......
Keeping played long snapper last year, so maybe thats why he's been given a chance at centre.
Eppele was listed a tackle for college, but if i remember, he didn't get to play much in his last year..... a change of coaches I think..... and he commented in his first year that he had much to learn .... don't they usually start individuals at G when learning the O-line?
I am surprised that Gagne-Marcoux isn't playing much C as I think last year he did fill in at that spot.
Does it depend who the QB is that you are snapping to? eg maybe the Keeping -Ray combo works better than the G-M -Ray combo? (just curious)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8