PDA

View Full Version : TSN Reports Zack Collaros Is An Argonaut Again

Neely2005
07-31-2019, 12:33 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/1.1344773

argos1873
07-31-2019, 12:42 PM
Just got an alert in the CFL app that it happened. So its official.

Stevoman
07-31-2019, 12:50 PM
If it weren't for the concussion issues, I'd be really happy about this but now I'm just concerned for his health. The Argos O-Line hasn't exactly been protecting its quarterbacks. I'm really hoping this works out.

Antwon
07-31-2019, 01:07 PM
I guess this is what a desperate 0-6 team does. Trade for an injury prone QB. At least they didn't give up much.
As much as I've always like Collaros, the concussions are a serious problem...and our O-line is weak!
Good thing is MBT will be cut after Thursdays game. And Franklin, once back from injury knows he's not guaranteed to start!

Antwon
07-31-2019, 01:09 PM
Also I thought Fajardo had potential. Obviously Trestman didn't and Sask does now!

argotom
07-31-2019, 01:28 PM
At one time and especially when he was in his prime less all of the concussions, this would have been a great move.
In fact, I have said he should have been kept an Argo instead of letting him go to FA at the expenses of the elderly and over the hill Ricky Ray.
It's time for him to retire instead of coming here.

mchesher03
07-31-2019, 01:31 PM
agree with the sentiment here so far, Collaros seems like a likeable guy and I cringe at the thought of a guy with concussion history lining up behind the 2019 offensive line here.

Wobbler
07-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Nice move. He probably isn't a "long term solution", but this isn't that sort of league. We need to win now.

Topshelf
07-31-2019, 02:19 PM
No no no no no no

Injury prone. Doesnt inspire people to buy tix.
Best case scenario we win a few games make the playoffs, play on road, and likely are 1 and done.
This season is a write off, and Collaros is not a long term solution. This is more about Popp trying to save his job.

gilthethrill
07-31-2019, 02:29 PM
The price was certainly right. I imagine he will be in uniform after the bye week.

lazycro
07-31-2019, 03:00 PM
agree with the sentiment here so far, Collaros seems like a likeable guy and I cringe at the thought of a guy with concussion history lining up behind the 2019 offensive line here.

The oline has dramatically improved since the start of the season.
It's not the best in the league but it's surely not the worst at this moment, that goes to BC

Foxhound
07-31-2019, 03:13 PM
I understand Zach won't be suiting up against the Bombers tomorrow....

:o

Topshelf
07-31-2019, 03:15 PM
What do we gain with Collaros?
This is everything thats wrong with this league.
Journeyman players that bounce from team to team.
Will the Argos win more games? Probably.
Will Collaros sell one more ticket? Doubtful.

gilthethrill
07-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Where does this leave James Franklin when he is ready to return to action?

argolio
07-31-2019, 04:03 PM
The oline has dramatically improved since the start of the season.
It's not the best in the league but it's surely not the worst at this moment, that goes to BCOur pass blocking has improved. Not so much the run blocking.

Trading for Collaros is risky, but a second round pick is a no-brainer price to pay if he can establish himself as a starter. If not, all we lose is a 4th, and if we keep losing we'll probably get more picks from trades before the deadline.

Would be sweet justice to see Collaros lead the team to a win over Simoni Lawrence on Labour Day.

Where does this leave James Franklin when he is ready to return to action?He's on the clock.

Will
07-31-2019, 05:09 PM
I'm not going to lose much sleep over this because the cost to get him wasn't steep.

paulwoods13
07-31-2019, 08:22 PM
I have no issue with taking a flyer on Zach, but the roster machinations better not result in us losing O'Connor. We are soon going to have either four or five QBs eligible to play. Somehow O'Connor needs to get back on the injured list at worst. Definitely not the practice roster.

Argo57
07-31-2019, 08:34 PM
I have no issue with taking a flyer on Zach, but the roster machinations better not result in us losing O'Connor. We are soon going to have either four or five QBs eligible to play. Somehow O'Connor needs to get back on the injured list at worst. Definitely not the practice roster.

I certainly hope O’Connor is protected at all costs, would be a colossal f**k up if they lost him.

AngeloV
07-31-2019, 09:15 PM

I see this move as a boost for O'Connor. Obviously the Argos have given up on Franklin as the QB of the future. This may give O'Connor a faster path to the #2 spot and eventually (depending on ZC's health and success) future starter.

Having said that, Should Franklin go elsewhere and have success, it will be funny to see the people knocking him complain about not sticking with him. I am still a Franklin believer, so this is bitter sweet to me.

Argo57
07-31-2019, 09:40 PM
I see this move as a boost for O'Connor. Obviously the Argos have given up on Franklin as the QB of the future. This may give O'Connor a faster path to the #2 spot and eventually (depending on ZC's health and success) future starter.

Having said that, Should Franklin go elsewhere and have success, it will be funny to see the people knocking him complain about not sticking with him. I am still a Franklin believer, so this is bitter sweet to me.

I’m still in Franklin’s corner as well, many players the Argos have cast aside have gone to other organizations and had success.
QB development has not been a trademark of the Toronto Argonauts and I suspect Franklin will flourish in another organization with better surrounding talent and an OC who actually has a clue how to run an offence, I still hope it doesn’t come to that.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Does anyone other than Jeremy O'Day see this as a good trade?

Rich
08-01-2019, 12:51 AM

I’m still a Franklin believer too, but I’m not so sure they’ve given up on him. Maybe they brought Collaros in to be a more reliable and viable Plan B than Bethel-Thompson turned out to be.

For one thing, it could still be weeks before Collaros is ready to play. He is to be cleared for practice next week, but surely both he and his doctors will want to be extra extra cautious after yet another concussion.

In the meantime Franklin returns from injury and is given one last real shot to establish himself as a bona fide starter. If he is unsuccessful, then it will turn out like you said: Collaros will keep the seat warm until O’Connor is ready to go.

paulwoods13
08-01-2019, 07:49 AM

Why should only O'Day see it as a good trade? Argos got someone who might or might not help, at a key position of need, for a very low price. O'Day got rid of someone he didn't feel he needed, but the return wasn't much. In this league, even first-round draft choices are far from a sure thing -- fourth-rounders are a crapshoot at best. And if Collaros plays enough to upgrade that pick to a second, it will mean Argos got value from him. So it will likely either be a deal both teams end up happy about or both teams end up feeling "Meh" about.

ArgoGabe22
08-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Riders were ready to move on from ZC. In the CFL, when a player is unwanted teams will just wait for them to released. I have no issues with the trade. Even if it doesn’t work out, the trade was a low risk so no real loss.

Neely2005
08-01-2019, 09:32 AM

I expect that MBT will be released once Collaros learns our playbook.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Paul I don't see how bringing in someone with his history of concussions can end any way other than badly. I was hoping Collaros would retire after the Simoni Lawrence incident which was late and cheap but I've seen Bethel-Thompson get up from harder hits than that. I like Zach Collaros and would love to see him lead us to a Grey Cup victory but my feeling on the trade is that Saskatchewan moved the contract of a player that they felt was no longer an option to a team that to be polite has trouble keeping the quarterback upright. The fact that Sask moved him for a conditional pick should be evidence of that. As I said I would love to see Zach carried off the field on the shoulders of his Argonaut teammates a Grey Cup champion and I would be the first to say that I was wrong about the trade but I'll settle for the guy to be able to sit in a chair without drooling on his shirt due to yet another concussion.

paulwoods13
08-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Paul I don't see how bringing in someone with his history of concussions can end any way other than badly. I was hoping Collaros would retire after the Simoni Lawrence incident which was late and cheap but I've seen Bethel-Thompson get up from harder hits than that. I like Zach Collaros and would love to see him lead us to a Grey Cup victory but my feeling on the trade is that Saskatchewan moved the contract of a player that they felt was no longer an option to a team that to be polite has trouble keeping the quarterback upright. The fact that Sask moved him for a conditional pick should be evidence of that. As I said I would love to see Zach carried off the field on the shoulders of his Argonaut teammates a Grey Cup champion and I would be the first to say that I was wrong about the trade but I'll settle for the guy to be able to sit in a chair without drooling on his shirt due to yet another concussion.

I get that Zach has injury history and may soon decide to retire because of it. But at this point he has chosen to keep playing, as is his right. If he can't help us, we either release him or eat a not-huge contract for the rest of the year. No great loss either way. If he can help us, we're ahead of where we are now. And the price to get him was low. O'Day saves the salary but now has no one with experience behind Fajardo. The latter might be a good starter, but I'll wait to see more evidence than three good games against bottom feeders. So I hardly think O'Day should be painted as having clearly won the trade.

paulwoods13
08-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Likely true, but that still leaves four QBs for three slots. So someone either has to be "injured" or risk being lost off the PR.

lazycro
08-01-2019, 12:41 PM

I expect him released as soon as Franklin comes off the 6-game

Shatto
08-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Trading for Collaros is a low risk, potentially high reward situation. But, wouldn't it be a great feel good story, if he did become a top class CFL QB again. If it happens, it would be an excellent PR story for the media.

Neely2005
08-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Good read on the trade:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/zachs-back-in-double-blue-amid-concerns-about-his-health

AngeloV
08-01-2019, 01:27 PM
I’m still a Franklin believer too, but I’m not so sure they’ve given up on him. Maybe they brought Collaros in to be a more reliable and viable Plan B than Bethel-Thompson turned out to be.

For one thing, it could still be weeks before Collaros is ready to play. He is to be cleared for practice next week, but surely both he and his doctors will want to be extra extra cautious after yet another concussion.

In the meantime Franklin returns from injury and is given one last real shot to establish himself as a bona fide starter. If he is unsuccessful, then it will turn out like you said: Collaros will keep the seat warm until O’Connor is ready to go.

Collaros was cleared for practice prior to the trade. He wouldn’t have been eligible to practice with the Riders until this week anyway due to the 6 game rule. He was absolutely brought in to be the starter. I think Franklin is done here personally. If not traded upon his return, then as a FA inthe off season.

ArgoRavi
08-01-2019, 01:55 PM

I don't understand why anyone would think this is a bad trade for the Argos. A conditional draft pick is a small price to pay for a veteran QB who has had success in this league. The Argos really have nothing to lose by making this trade.

gilthethrill
08-01-2019, 01:57 PM
I don't understand why anyone would think this is a bad trade for the Argos. A conditional draft pick is a small price to pay for a veteran QB who has had success in this league. The Argos really have nothing to lose by making this trade.

All Matt Nichols cost Winnipeg was a 7th round pick if I am not mistaken.

jerrym
08-01-2019, 04:27 PM
I see this as a low-cost trade that may help out the lethargic offence and, if not, not much is lost.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Paul and Ravi, I concede that a fourth round pick is a small price to pay for a QB with his experience however Argos had the opportunity to sign him in free agency but passed electing to go with the status quo of Franklin and MBT. Now Zach has yet another concussion on his resume but I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures. To be clear I really hope it works out for everyone, most of all for us on this forum.
:D

Bleeds Double Blue
08-01-2019, 04:52 PM
That being said, enjoy the game tonight gentlemen. I wish I was there so that we could continue the debate in person.

Neely2005
08-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Paul and Ravi, I concede that a fourth round pick is a small price to pay for a QB with his experience however Argos had the opportunity to sign him in free agency but passed electing to go with the status quo of Franklin and MBT. Now Zach has yet another concussion on his resume but I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures. To be clear I really hope it works out for everyone, most of all for us on this forum.
:D

Apparently we tried to trade for him when he left Hamilton for Saskatchewan.

Neely2005
09-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Zach Collaros throws at Argos practice:

https://3downnation.com/2019/09/26/zach-collaros-throws-at-argos-practice/

7dj83r8f78t4alf8