PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton @ Toronto Friday August 16th Game Day Thread (CNE Game)

Neely2005
08-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Cross will be back in the lineup for this game:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/painful-lesson-toughens-argos-cross-as-he-returns-to-roster

gilthethrill
08-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Argo57 really should have started the game day thread....no offence Neeley.

AngeloV
08-13-2019, 10:11 AM

He's too busy going to Ti-Cats games.

:D

lazycro
08-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Looks like Pffefer will be back (Medeiros is onto PR), a DE (Thomas) coming off of Practice roster to active and Spaziani going back to the PR meaning Reinhart coming back

AngeloV
08-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Looks like Pffefer will be back (Medeiros is onto PR), a DE (Thomas) coming off of Practice roster to active and Spaziani going back to the PR meaning Reinhart coming back

I expected Pfeffer and Reinhart back this game as they practiced before the Bombers game, which was the first week they could practice while being on the 6 game.

Argo57
08-13-2019, 06:37 PM
He's too busy going to Ti-Cats games.

:D

You asshole, you blew my cover🤬
Gotta keep my birthday boy happy as well😛
Yes indeed an all CFL weekend, Argonaut game Friday night then the long trip to Ottawa to catch the RedBlack-Hamilton tilt👍

Argo57
08-13-2019, 06:39 PM

That’s ok, Neely has put himself on the firing line with this stunt😡

AngeloV
08-13-2019, 07:40 PM
You asshole, you blew my cover🤬
Gotta keep my birthday boy happy as well😛
Yes indeed an all CFL weekend, Argonaut game Friday night then the long trip to Ottawa to catch the RedBlack-Hamilton tilt👍

Sorry. I sabotaged you in order to keep my standing as most popular forum member. 😂😂😂

AngeloV
08-13-2019, 07:41 PM
That’s ok, Neely has put himself on the firing line with this stunt😡
I’m sure he will just pass the buck to MBT. :D

Argo57
08-13-2019, 07:58 PM
Sorry. I sabotaged you in order to keep my standing as most popular forum member. 😂😂😂

You’ve got that title locked up😂
See you guys on Friday👍

Argo57
08-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Now that was a low blow!
MBT Friday Night
400 Yards passing
4TDs
No Picks
Argonauts 37
Edmonton 24

AngeloV
08-13-2019, 10:33 PM
You’ve got that title locked up😂
See you guys on Friday👍

As always, looking forward to it.

Neely2005
08-14-2019, 08:29 AM

Nah that would be mean, it's his last game as an Argonaut starter after all. I'll let his 3-11 record as our starter speak for itself.

mchesher03
08-14-2019, 10:13 AM
I've been down on MBT before but I'll say he'll go out in a blaze of glory on Friday with another gutsy performance and a big W.

I'll also make the "bold" prediction that Rainey lights it up again.

Argos win - the win streak is born....

AngeloV
08-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Nah that would be mean, it's his last game as an Argonaut starter after all. I'll let his 3-11 record as our starter speak for itself.

Record is a team stat. I guess Anthony Calvillo should have been finished as a player after his time in Hamilton.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not lobbying for MBT to be the permanent starter, but IMO, you make it sound like he’s the 2nd coming of Cody Pickett or Stephen Reeves.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Cody Pickett? That's cold Angelo. For my 2 cents worth I can see a QB going on IR until they figure out exactly what they have with Collaros.

lazycro
08-15-2019, 11:16 AM
So many moving around in the depth chart

gilthethrill
08-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Awe is in a backup capacity?

AngeloV
08-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Awe is in a backup capacity?

What is more misleading? The depth chart the Argos post weekly before the game or the BMO field seating chart?

Shatto
08-15-2019, 01:56 PM
If the depth chart is to be believed, there a many more changes on defense than on offense. Strange, since the offense has seemed to struggle more than the defense.

shayman
08-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Incidentally the Argos are currently tied for the second longest winning streak in the entire league.

argolio
08-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Accurate or not, that's quite the depth chart.

We need to do a much better job handling their pass rush to make this competitive

paulwoods13
08-15-2019, 05:09 PM
That depth chart is completely un-credible. J Campbell staring at RT, Bomben backing up at RG, Robbie Smith starting at DE? I'll believe it when I see it.

The most surprising thing to me, apart from all the crazy alleged shifting around of personnel, is no Coleman in the lineup. Surely it's not that hard to learn schemes at DT?

Argo57
08-15-2019, 07:13 PM
What is more misleading? The depth chart the Argos post weekly before the game or the BMO field seating chart?

Flip a coin.

Argo57
08-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Incidentally the Argos are currently tied for the second longest winning streak in the entire league.

We’re all riding the wave.

ArgoZ
08-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Huge game. I can see both Ottawa and Montreal losing this week. A win for us tonight and the team could only be 1 game out of the playoffs, with 3 games left against Ottawa and 2 against Montreal. Win those games and we’re definitely in, but gotta get this one first.

CrazyCanuck89
08-16-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm confused, shouldn't It be

Wild-WLB
Herdman-MLB
Gabriel-SLB

They have it

Gabriel-WLB
Wild-MLB
Herdman-SLB

Bleeds Double Blue
08-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Edmonton"s punter may as well go check out the Ex. It doesn't look like he's going to be needed at this rate. 3 drives 3 touchdowns.

Topshelf
08-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Best crowd of the year. The Argos are back!!!

argotom
08-16-2019, 10:01 PM
The coverage on the Esks receivers has been horrid.
Ford should be playing house league he couldn't cover in a phone booth.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-16-2019, 10:07 PM
You have to hand it to these guys, they don't quit.

argotom
08-16-2019, 10:25 PM
You have to hand it to these guys, they don't quit.

We just don't have the horses especially the defense with the inept coverage by the DB's.

argotom
08-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Punting the ball back with 2:27 instead of going for it on a third down.
Enough said.

Nob
08-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Seriously ...... punting late in the game down 15??

Using both challenges in the first 5 minutes??

They had a third and one when the it was still a close game and they punt??

Yep......

argotom
08-16-2019, 10:58 PM
If not now because of the mananagment cap, Chamblin and Popp have to be done at the end of the year.

Argo57
08-16-2019, 11:13 PM
If not now because of the mananagment cap, Chamblin and Popp have to be done at the end of the year.

Agree 100%

Argo57
08-16-2019, 11:23 PM
The Argo roster shuffle on D was a disaster.
Zero pass rush and a secondary that couldn’t cover anyone, keep Darby at safety, Dowling and Ford victimized early and often.
Inability to finish off drives in the first half also killed the Argos.
The O-Line got badly manhandled again, Burks looked fairly effective early on then they stopped giving him the ball.
Chamblin’s use of the second challenge 4 minutes into the game was idiotic, punting late in the game on 3rd down was a joke then calling a timeout when the game was out of reach shows he has no clue.
1-7 record is well deserved top to bottom.

Stevoman
08-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Yes, not sure why the roster shuffle on the back end. I guess Chamblin was dreaming up some new scenarios over the bye week but some of these changes didn't make much sense.

Argos kept fighting but you can't trade 3's for 7's for the first half and then hope to have enough to come back. Some good plays by Burks when he had the ball and Rainey was the Argos biggest threat again.

MBT played stronger in the second half and I was impressed with his foot work but man he has to make quicker reads. In the first half, he missed several opportunities to pass down field and then got sacked. You could tell it was driving Dunigan nuts in the booth and probably Edwards who was often wide open.

Blue90
08-17-2019, 12:58 AM
2 points...

1. play calling is horrendous. Edmonton defensive line is killing us. Why not screen pass or draw play? Run the ball more often.

2. MBT is a terrible quarterback. Terrible decisions. Throws into double and triple coverage. Doesn't throw to the open man. Weak arm. Have to give credit he is gutsy though, standing in the pocket and taking a beating.

ArgoGabe22
08-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Good news is the Pfeffer made his first appearance late in the 2nd quarter. Bad news is that MBT got killed out there and offence could only produce FGs. O’Neill also made his first appearance late in the 2nd but Harris was untouched with open receivers. There was a time early in the 3rd, I thought the Argos could take the lead.

Rich
08-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Props to Chapdelaine for installing the nice new wrinkles in the running game, they kept the Esk D off-balance all night. So why did he wait until game 8 to try and get the run game going? These plays could have made a difference in a couple of our losses.

Also, props to the special teams coach, by far their best performance of the season.

But the play of the D was a obviously a major disappointment, especially after they looked so good against Winnipeg. Pass rush was weak, they really missed Laing and I suppose Lemon too. And for the life of me I can't understand why they would turn Awe into a part-time player.

Will
08-17-2019, 10:09 AM
The unorthodox changes in defence: were they precipitated by injuries or just because Chamblin wanted to try something different? Laing was injured, but beyond that did anyone hear about guys who were nicked up? If it was the latter then it certainly blew up spectacularly in his face! Look I get that Edmonton's o-line is playing lights out, but that still doesn't excuse the lack of pass rush. Now that they've traded Lemon we'll be subjected to another 1/2 season of Frank Beltre being trotted out there week after week. The Argos did contain Gable (who I was concerned about), but were killed each and every time on first down.

Special teams was fine.

The offensive line was terrible in the first half and in particular Jamal Campbell. They did play better in the second half. I was an advocate of Jamal Campbell getting an opportunity but he was in over his head against one of the better front fours in the CFL. I'll beat a dead horse and say that the handling of the o-line in the off-season was piss poor. MB-T doesn't deserve blame for what happened yesterday, but he still ain't the answer.

paulwoods13
08-17-2019, 11:25 AM
I had the same question, Will. Why futz around with what worked so well last game? Obviously two changes were needed because of Lemon's trade and Laing's injury, but beyond that, why make so many personnel and alignment changes? Chamblin outsmarted himself, I think.

Laing's loss is huge. Thomas is a massive man who might develop into an excellent tackle, but his first game was nothing special. Beltre is never gonna be any more than he has shown to date. The two Bishops are OK, but not great. Robbie Smith has considerable potential and it's good to see him getting playing time at DE, but he's not yet ready to make an impact, at least not in this system and with these guys beside him. Antigha has done zero of note this year. Finley was not noticeable, and Gaydosh did not appear to be in the rotation last night.

The deployment of Wild and Awe is mystifying.

The DBs looked lost again last night after seeming to have it together in recent games. Still way too much man coverage, which does not work without a hellacious pass rush.

O-line looked awful, again. This is now how many years (apart from the last nine or so games in 2017) and how many systems/co-ordinators/o-line coaches? The finger is pointing hard at personnel on the o-line. (And dumb decisions by Barker and Popp, like cutting CVZ and passing up on good prospects in the draft.)

As for MBT, he is one tough SOB to take so many huge hits and keep bouncing up. Unfortunately, he neither played well enough to cement his role as the starter, nor played badly enough to send him definitively to the bench. So the QB drama will continue for at least another week.

Props to Rainey, Crapigna and Reinhart for doing their jobs all night.

And I never, ever want to again see both challenges used in the first five minutes of any game. Ridiculous.

ArgoGabe22
08-17-2019, 11:40 AM
And I never, ever want to again see both challenges used in the first five minutes of any game. Ridiculous.

Especially on a first down in or near the redzone.

gilthethrill
08-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Lemon makes an impact in his first game back with BC, yet Devon Coleman sits out on a night we needed a push up front. Seems the coaching staff does not realize the urgency needed to get up off the mat and into the race that is the CFL East. Frustrating.

Will
08-17-2019, 12:11 PM
As for MBT, he is one tough SOB to take so many huge hits and keep bouncing up. Unfortunately, he neither played well enough to cement his role as the starter, nor played badly enough to send him definitively to the bench. So the QB drama will continue for at least another week.

Agreed. He isn't the problem or the solution.

doubleblue
08-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Well I just watched the replay and things didn't look any better than the live performance last night. Jamal Campbell at RT wasn't outstanding by any means and did get beat a few times, but IMO he didn't look any worse than anybody else they have trotted out there this year. He is at the stage where he has got to play to get better as they can't hit in practice anymore. By my count Holmes got beat more than anybody else on the OLine, and what's with this Line not being able get off the ball on 3 and 1 or the goal line. They have the size but they're getting stood up. Edmonton line comes off low and was driving the Argo DLine back a couple of yards.
Speaking of the Edmonton OLine (for by own scouting confidence) lol, I thought Saxelid had a strong game at LT for them. Showed what I saw of him at UNLV. He's got the foot work and long arms and finesse needed to be a good pass blocker. He's a starting Tackle in this League IMO. We could have had him, but Popp decided on an over rated over weight guy who may be able to play Guard eventually. Hope he isn't another St. John who the Riders got stung on a few years ago.
Like Will and PW mentioned I too was mystified by some of the defensive changes. Was the HC/DC trying to the confuse Edmonton by moving guys around? If so it didn't work. Darby to me would have been the best guy to cover Ellingson. We know Gabriel can play safety but if they really wanted him at OLB, Awe IMO would make a great Safety. Dowling has size and speed you need on the corner these days, so I wouldn't give up on him just yet, but got caught flat footed and schooled to often by Ellingson for my liking. Ford looked lost at DB.
We all know about the DLine so I hope Jim has been down scouting the NFL Camps.
Poor old McBeth he sure takes a beating. I thought on that last run he would end up on the 6 game for sure but he bounced right up. He's got a lot for what you want in a QB, except for a few little things like spotting open receivers, throwing the ball accurately and on time, not a great touch on the deep throws, lack of consistency. I guess that's enough because I do like the guy. If the Argo had a dominant offensive line with George Reed and Mike Pringle in the back field he could probably be successful, but that's a pipe dream.

The tall for heads at MLSE have been quiet publicly but you have to wonder if what's saving Jim Popp and Chamblin right now is Randy's imposed salary cap on Football Operations. This Team has looked out Coached and unprepared since day one. There is proven talent on this team, they just need a few KEY players and some direction. IMO

argolio
08-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Hard to win when Harris has too many clean pockets and we don't have enough. Puts way too much pressure on our DBs. I don't know what the league average is for offences converting 2nd-and-long, but the Esks must have been way over that last night.

Neely2005
08-17-2019, 03:17 PM
2 points...

1. play calling is horrendous. Edmonton defensive line is killing us. Why not screen pass or draw play? Run the ball more often.

2. MBT is a terrible quarterback. Terrible decisions. Throws into double and triple coverage. Doesn't throw to the open man. Weak arm. Have to give credit he is gutsy though, standing in the pocket and taking a beating.

MBT seems like a good guy but he's just not a starting quarterback. It's always the same thing with him, poor decisions, poor reads, slow reads, unable to finish drives, interceptions and sacks. Hopefully we never see him start for the Argonauts ever again.

Blue90
08-17-2019, 05:42 PM
Agreed. He isn't the problem or the solution.

Strongly disagree. Switch the 2 QBs last night, and it's a totally different game. Harris is one of the best in the league, MBT is probably the worst.

ArgoGabe22
08-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Strongly disagree. Switch the 2 QBs last night, and it's a totally different game. Harris is one of the best in the league, MBT is probably the worst.

Except we don’t have Harris. Switch MBT for Prukop, Franklin or Collaros and nothing would change.

Shatto
08-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Previous posters had done an excellent job in analyzing the game. Would only like to add, Popp has done a poor job of recruiting players and some of his personnel decisions (like releasing CVZ and Coombs) were bad decisions.

Neely2005
08-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Except we don’t have Harris. Switch MBT for Prukop, Franklin or Collaros and nothing would change.

A healthy Collaros might.

At least with Franklin there's still a chance he develops with playing time. As I've said before and above, MBT is what he is and that's just not good enough.

ArgoGabe22
08-18-2019, 09:22 AM
A healthy Collaros might.

At least with Franklin there's still a chance he develops with playing time. As I've said before and above, MBT is what he is and that's just not good enough.

With what the line was, Collaros might not be leaving the game healthy.

AngeloV
08-18-2019, 10:45 AM
2 points...

1- Because when the screen or draw doesn’t work (and a draw would absolutely not work with the pressure the Esks were getting) then the complaints would be about not throwing down field.

2- There is no such thing as triple coverage. If you see 3 defenders around the ball, that would reflect a zone defense and defenders moving to the area the ball is thrown in,

AngeloV
08-18-2019, 10:59 AM
To me, the biggest bonehead move of the night was punting on 3rd and a half yard down 8 when your D is having a rough night. I don’t care if you’re on your own 11 yard line, in the CFL third and less than 1 is an automatic. In a 1 possession game you have to score so that it never becomes a 2 possession game. Chamblin has done this at least 5 times this year and it drives me nuts. I would rather get stopped short in that situation than punt. At least you are showing confidence that you will get the foot and and half needed to keep possession. Punting in that situation (as well as the one late in the game) shows such a defeatist attitude that it’s very difficult for your team to bounce back from. Aggression should be the name of the game.

I have no issues with MBT’s play. As I have said many times, I don’t want him to be the starter full time, but he takes way too much criticism from Argos fans. Having said that, with the Bombers possibly in need of depth depending on how long Nichols is out for, I think the Argos should dangle him and try and get some line help. Maybe Craig Roe would be a good fit to replace Lemon.

MBT is a free agent after the season, and I can see him XFL bound to join Mark Trestman who we all know loves him.

Blue90
08-18-2019, 07:52 PM
1- Because when the screen or draw doesn’t work (and a draw would absolutely not work with the pressure the Esks were getting) then the complaints would be about not throwing down field.

2- There is no such thing as triple coverage. If you see 3 defenders around the ball, that would reflect a zone defense and defenders moving to the area the ball is thrown in,

What would you suggest when the Edmonton defensive line is destroying the Argos offensive line?

Okay. How about double coverage?

Blue90
08-18-2019, 07:57 PM
To me, the biggest bonehead move of the night was punting on 3rd and a half yard down 8 when your D is having a rough night. I don’t care if you’re on your own 11 yard line, in the CFL third and less than 1 is an automatic. In a 1 possession game you have to score so that it never becomes a 2 possession game. Chamblin has done this at least 5 times this year and it drives me nuts. I would rather get stopped short in that situation than punt. At least you are showing confidence that you will get the foot and and half needed to keep possession. Punting in that situation (as well as the one late in the game) shows such a defeatist attitude that it’s very difficult for your team to bounce back from. Aggression should be the name of the game.

I have no issues with MBT’s play. As I have said many times, I don’t want him to be the starter full time, but he takes way too much criticism from Argos fans. Having said that, with the Bombers possibly in need of depth depending on how long Nichols is out for, I think the Argos should dangle him and try and get some line help. Maybe Craig Roe would be a good fit to replace Lemon.

MBT is a free agent after the season, and I can see him XFL bound to join Mark Trestman who we all know loves him.

Bethel-Thompson is a journeyman quarterback having been a member of five different NFL teams, two CFL teams.

Do you really think that he is the quarterback to lead this team to the playoffs?

AngeloV
08-18-2019, 07:59 PM

You don’t see double coverage anymore either, at least not a true double coverage. They may roll deep help in a zone, but you will not see 2 DB’s assigned to a receiver. As for what I suggest? You need to hit some wide hitch screens to Walker, quick slant routes and some fade routes. Those are the types of plays where the QB hangs on to the ball the least amount of time. Traditional screens to the RB can work occasionally, but after a couple of times, they won’t anymore.

AngeloV
08-18-2019, 08:02 PM
What would you suggest when the Edmonton defensive line is destroying the Argos offensive line?

Funny you quoted my response, but I guess you didn’t actually read it. While defending him, I also said I don’t want him to be the starter and should look at trading him to the Bombers who may be looking for depth now that Nichols is hurt.

Jon Gonzo
08-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Well I just watched the replay and things didn't look any better than the live performance last night. Jamal Campbell at RT wasn't outstanding by any means and did get beat a few times, but IMO he didn't look any worse than anybody else they have trotted out there this year. He is at the stage where he has got to play to get better as they can't hit in practice anymore. By my count Holmes got beat more than anybody else on the OLine, and what's with this Line not being able get off the ball on 3 and 1 or the goal line. They have the size but they're getting stood up. Edmonton line comes off low and was driving the Argo DLine back a couple of yards.
Speaking of the Edmonton OLine (for by own scouting confidence) lol, I thought Saxelid had a strong game at LT for them. Showed what I saw of him at UNLV. He's got the foot work and long arms and finesse needed to be a good pass blocker. He's a starting Tackle in this League IMO. We could have had him, but Popp decided on an over rated over weight guy who may be able to play Guard eventually. Hope he isn't another St. John who the Riders got stung on a few years ago.
Like Will and PW mentioned I too was mystified by some of the defensive changes. Was the HC/DC trying to the confuse Edmonton by moving guys around? If so it didn't work. Darby to me would have been the best guy to cover Ellingson. We know Gabriel can play safety but if they really wanted him at OLB, Awe IMO would make a great Safety. Dowling has size and speed you need on the corner these days, so I wouldn't give up on him just yet, but got caught flat footed and schooled to often by Ellingson for my liking. Ford looked lost at DB.
We all know about the DLine so I hope Jim has been down scouting the NFL Camps.
Poor old McBeth he sure takes a beating. I thought on that last run he would end up on the 6 game for sure but he bounced right up. He's got a lot for what you want in a QB, except for a few little things like spotting open receivers, throwing the ball accurately and on time, not a great touch on the deep throws, lack of consistency. I guess that's enough because I do like the guy. If the Argo had a dominant offensive line with George Reed and Mike Pringle in the back field he could probably be successful, but that's a pipe dream.

The tall for heads at MLSE have been quiet publicly but you have to wonder if what's saving Jim Popp and Chamblin right now is Randy's imposed salary cap on Football Operations. This Team has looked out Coached and unprepared since day one. There is proven talent on this team, they just need a few KEY players and some direction. IMO

Agreed, a few KEY players can change the fortune of this (and any team) in the CFL. Look at Vernon Adams Jr. in Montreal, and Cody Fajardo in Regina.

At this time, however, some of this teams personnel decisions have been lost on me. I'm just not getting it. And I am not certain that Corey Chamblin is anything more than a great Defensive Coach. We've seen this before (Rich Stubler) and there's no shame in it.

I see changes coming, but I don't see any rush. I also don't really trust Manning to make the required direction change. We need John Hufnagel-like stability here, but I can't see it. We need a football program that is the envy of the league. Can't see that either.

ArgoZ
08-19-2019, 10:31 AM
^
Great comparison to Stubler. I think Chamblin would be fine only as the Argos D coach, as they have played well at times. The questionable strategies like punting on 3rd and half/yard, challenging 2 times in the first quarter, are all rookie-like Head Coach mistakes that this team can’t afford.

paulwoods13
08-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Some of Chamblin's head coaching decisions (like when to punt and when to challenge) have been hard to fathom, but so have some of his defensive coaching decisions (like when to use man coverage, and personnel deployment in general). It's impossible to know if he'd be more effective as just the DC, but at this point I am having trouble giving him a passing grade on that part of his portfolio.

doubleblue
08-19-2019, 12:36 PM
^
Great comparison to Stubler. I think Chamblin would be fine only as the Argos D coach, as they have played well at times. The questionable strategies like punting on 3rd and half/yard, challenging 2 times in the first quarter, are all rookie-like Head Coach mistakes that this team can’t afford.

I remember when Scott Milanovich was here and Mike O'Shea was the special team Coach. Just from watching it seemed that Mike O'Shea seemed to be responsible for helping Scott keep track of such things like 3rd and short distance etc. Maybe that is something that Cory could or should use as he has the DC responsibility to think of beside calling the shots as HC. Those decisions have to be made quickly in the CFL.
That 3rd and 2 feet at mid field punt was a puzzler.

Jon Gonzo
08-19-2019, 09:27 PM
I remember when Scott Milanovich was here and Mike O'Shea was the special team Coach. Just from watching it seemed that Mike O'Shea seemed to be responsible for helping Scott keep track of such things like 3rd and short distance etc. Maybe that is something that Cory could or should use as he has the DC responsibility to think of beside calling the shots as HC. Those decisions have to be made quickly in the CFL.
That 3rd and 2 feet at mid field punt was a puzzler.

Very right. I got to know O'Shea a little bit in the early 2000's and he told me personally that the Coaches looked to him for Canadian rule book intricacies. He was the eyes on the field for sure and he took a lot of pride in his encyclopedic knowledge of Canadian ball. That's why he made such a natural ST's coach, and why he's the guy who knows the trick plays. He and JJ (and later Craw-daddy) were awesome in keeping the teams guys inline and online.

I'd love to see Osh come back to Toronto. I'd offer him Coach & future GM to make it happen. He's a damn good coach and could be just as good as a GM someday.

AngeloV
08-19-2019, 09:40 PM
I'd love to see Osh come back to Toronto. I'd offer him Coach & future GM to make it happen. He's a damn good coach and could be just as good as a GM someday.

I can see this happening. I'm sure he still bleeds double blue and would love to be the coach here that turns things around.

Argo57
08-19-2019, 09:47 PM
I can see this happening. I'm sure he still bleeds double blue and would love to be the coach here that turns things around.

Wouldn’t complain if this happened, I think he would assemble a very good coaching staff as well.

Neely2005
08-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Very right. I got to know O'Shea a little bit in the early 2000's and he told me personally that the Coaches looked to him for Canadian rule book intricacies. He was the eyes on the field for sure and he took a lot of pride in his encyclopedic knowledge of Canadian ball. That's why he made such a natural ST's coach, and why he's the guy who knows the trick plays. He and JJ (and later Craw-daddy) were awesome in keeping the teams guys inline and online.

Always hoped that he'd be our HC at some point.

doubleblue
08-20-2019, 10:34 AM

I was thinking the other day about who would be a good fit for the Argos if MLSE decide to change things up. Mike was the first guy I thought of. But you are right it would probably have to be a dual role of GM and HC. I think he is under contract for another year or two.

Argo57
08-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Some of Chamblin's head coaching decisions (like when to punt and when to challenge) have been hard to fathom, but so have some of his defensive coaching decisions (like when to use man coverage, and personnel deployment in general). It's impossible to know if he'd be more effective as just the DC, but at this point I am having trouble giving him a passing grade on that part of his portfolio.

He needs to go at the end of the season.

Will
08-23-2019, 03:04 PM
I ranted and raved on this topic on the Fancast this week!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8