PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of the first exhibition season

jerrym
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Besides Watkins, Harris really impressed me. He is way ahead of Lemon or Jyles in poise and passing capability even though they had more than five years experience in either the CFL or NFL. I expect they will keep Jackson as #2 because of his experience, but Harris could be #2 by the end of the season if he keeps this up. He puts a nice touch on the ball and can run. Looks like Kackert is going to be challenged by Riggs for #2 running back. I think there will several dbs amongst the first cuts. Exciting game for an exhibition despite the usual first game mistakes.

matthew
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Agreed, Harris and Riggs looked very good. Ray did too during his final showings. Very encouraging. Looks like a cohesive bench too.

Will
06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Ray looked fine after the first few series, but it was somewhat difficult to get a full picture because Hamilton kept taking penalties, and it got ridiculous at one point, I don't know if Hamilton settled down or the refs took sympathy and didn't take the flag our of their pocket every play. Summers and Watkins looked good as did Riggs. Jackson I think had a few balls dropped, but I wasn't particularly impressed with him.

1argoholic
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Both young qb's looked good and not out of place at all. The only guy who stood out in a bad way was 41 who had some issues covering. I was really impressed with the quality of the game as a whole. We have found some good looking talent and I wouldn't want to have to make cuts. Riggs looked very good. Some guys with speed. Should be a fun year.

Will
06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Well here are some more of my expanded thoughts.

Chad Kackert (2 carries, -2 yards) faces some tough competition for the second string running back position behind Cory Boyd (5 carries, 10 yards, 2 touchdowns). That competition is in the form of Gerald Riggs (4 carries, 32 yards; 2 catches, 22 yards, 1 touchdown) who looked impressive in the third quarter catching a touchdown. Kackert was playing with the second string offense (Jackson) and was not very noticeable at all. It should be noted that the entire second quarter was one of offensive lethargic. Now, it should be noted that Riggs would've been facing more of Hamilton's training camp fodder, but I believe he deserves a look against some better competition. Even the fourth stringer Allen Ervin (4 carries, 15 yards; 3 catches, 4 yards) didn't look out of place in the fourth quarter. As for #3, his stats don't look too impressive, but I'm not too worried about him.

I thought Ricky Ray (5/8, 71 yards) looked fine, although Chris Schultz didn't seem to think so, he looked shaky his first few drives, but got into a rhythm after that to lead two scoring drives, one of which was aided mind you by a pass interference penalty in the endzone. As we know, running the ball isn't his first preference, but he has enough scrambling ability if the pocket collapses. It is worth noting that he was without his top three receivers Andre Durie, Maurice Mann and Jason Barnes. The second quarter was played by Jarious Jackson (3/10, 32 yards) and I wasn't particularly impressed by him although to be fair he had some passes dropped. As we know, he throws a good deep ball, but was inaccurate on a lot of his short stuff. He led the team down the field for one drive late in the second quarter, but I don't remember if it was aided by a penalty or not. Trevor Harris (7/10, 84 yards, 1 touchdown) played the third quarter and looked impressive. The comparisons to Ricky Ray are fair. I think he's more comfortable as a pure passer, but can probably run a little bit if he has to. He used Riggs alot including on the touchdown. Zach Collaros (2/4, 8 yards*) looked all right as well, he has an interesting release and took me aback with his first snap running for a big gain. I suppose he's probably the better runner of the two (Harris) as well. While I think that it is safe to say that Jackson has the #2 spot wrapped up, I would nevertheless like to see if Harris or Collaros can't get some snaps against one of the higher string Montreal defenses. I'd like to stick one of those on the PR because I don't want to lose both right now.

Thirteen different Argos caught passes yesterday with running backs making up the #1 and #2 spots. Remember that Durie, Mann and Barnes didn't play yesterday. The one everybody was watching was Dontrelle Inman and he ended up empty on the night. He drew an pass interference penalty yesterday in the endzone, but that's about it. Other than that, the stat line reads that Player X caught 1 pass for Y amount of yards. A lot of tempting choices here, but obviously someone has to go! I think Sammy Tranks and Demario Ballard could be in trouble with their injuries, although I guess the 9-game can be used if necessary.

The offensive line starters were Smith, Gagne-Marcoux, Keeping, Eppele and Van Zeyl I believe. Again, they looked shaky at first and the pocket did collapse a few times. After that, Hamilton I believe went to a "no blitz" policy so there was no major problems with protection amongst the lower stringers.

Our defensive line had trouble against the run. The Ti-Cats have a running back Chevon Walker who is very fast and works on the outside a lot. Our defenders had trouble keeping up with him. I hear he ran a sub 4.3 40 during some sort of combine, which is extremely impressive. We got pressure though on Porter particularly. Speaking of Quinton Porter, he looked very bad yesterday and I don't know if he's made any progress. He looked completely out of sync with his receivers. Patrick Summers had 2 sacks and Ricky Foley had one. I'm still not sure who blew the coverage on the Samuel Giguere catch and Chris Williams touchdown. Watkins made a nice interception in the endzone staying with his man stride-for-stride. A 6'5" DB is a huge asset in this league!

Anthony Alix might need polish as a field goal kicker. Now on further review he averaged 37.8 yards per punt, which isn't great, but at least at the game seemed to get good hangtime allowing his coverage teams to get downfield quickly. Speaking of the coverage teams they allowed a few big returns, but were strong particularly on punts.

gilthethrill
06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
If I am not mistaken, the only turnover the Argos had was that ill advised pitch back that the one db did after recovering that errant Hamilton snap. So, the turnover battle was 7-1 in the Argos favour.

Other than Chevron Walker having success on the ground in the 1st half & Burris lighting it up (lets face it, 2 blown coverages), I thought the Argos looked pretty good.

So, when is the first cut down day? Saturday at 3pm?

Will
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I think it's Sunday.

Will
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
The reason I put a * beside Zach's yard total is because I could've swore he threw for more than that!

Ballstothewall
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Perhaps we should dump Ray and his 400,000 contract, sign some top receivers and go with Harris at QB, kid looked good

paulwoods13
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Perhaps we should dump Ray and his 400,000 contract, sign some top receivers and go with Harris at QB, kid looked good

Yeah, let's also dump Foley and other expensive guys in favour of kids who excelled playing against third-stringers.

jerrym
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Collaros looked good too, but Harris clearly outshone him. I suspect that, although Jackson did not look impressive (an understatement), the Argos will likely keep him unless he really stinks it out so that they have an experienced backup as experience at qb is so important. However, it would not totally surprise me if they cut him if he did not play well in the next game and the two rookies play well, partly to save some cap space. They could still cut him before the second half of the season if he wasn't doing well and they wanted to not pay him for the entire season. It looks like the Argos may actually be able to develop a first string qb for the first time since Thiesmann and Gabler!

jerrym
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
If Jackson is kept, I hope that Collaros will go on the practice roster as an insurance policy and for development purposes.

paulwoods13
06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Guys, Jackson is not going to get cut and the Argos are not going to put their faith in two unproven rookies who have each played one-quarter of football against a bunch of guys who will not be in the league in two weeks. Come on, folks, it is pre-season. Yes, Harris had an impressive drive -- helped by a hell of a catch by Riggs -- but as fun as it was to watch him, if he ends up as our QB for anything other than mop-up duty in blowouts, we will not be contending for the Grey Cup in 2012. Football does not work that way.

tc23
06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I think Henry Burris and Chevon Walker were awesome !!

Listen to the CFL Panel
Click on First Impressions on the Video side

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/

ArgoRavi
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Guys, Jackson is not going to get cut and the Argos are not going to put their faith in two unproven rookies who have each played one-quarter of football against a bunch of guys who will not be in the league in two weeks. Come on, folks, it is pre-season. Yes, Harris had an impressive drive -- helped by a hell of a catch by Riggs -- but as fun as it was to watch him, if he ends up as our QB for anything other than mop-up duty in blowouts, we will not be contending for the Grey Cup in 2012. Football does not work that way.

Well said, Paul. Mike McMahon and Scott Krause lit it up in preseason and neither of them lasted any longer than one year in this league so we have to be careful about interpreting preseason play. Jarious Jackson will be the #2 QB.

argolio
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Agree about not reading too much into pre-season games, but I think Harris and Collaros are definite upgrades over B.J. Hall.

Matt Black was another DB who stood out to me.

Wayne Smith at left tackle got pushed back early a few times (maybe partly due to nerves), but he settled in and improved. It'll be interesting to check his progress next week.

zontar
06-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Impressed by the level of athleticism from both sides. For years observers have been saying how CDN amateur football is producing better, more prepared players and it shows. Combined with the usual products of US football factories and minor pro leagues the CFL is is no doubt the most talented it has ever been.

1argoholic
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I was saying that all game long to my wife. Zontar you hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't believe how good that game was for the first pre-season game. I was pumped watching the guys fly around and make some nice plays. One play that caught my eye was the strength and speed of Carrol as he cut off a guy in open field and dragged him down by the back of his jersey for very little gain. Seeing that play alone showed me that Barker found some good talent.

Ballstothewall
06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah, let's also dump Foley and other expensive guys in favour of kids who excelled playing against third-stringers.

The ruling from the General of the Argoholics was that you took that post seriously, so thanks i just won lunch!!!!

1argoholic
06-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Flutie strikes yet again. Hey how's you buddy Morty Dork? He used to fall for that kind of stuff once a week and print it. haha.

paulwoods13
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
The ruling from the General of the Argoholics was that you took that post seriously, so thanks i just won lunch!!!!

Unless I was serious, in which case what do I win?

Rich
06-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Collaros looked good too, but Harris clearly outshone him.

You gotta remember Harris had been through at least two mini-camps, rookie camp and the first few days of main TC before Collaros even got to see a playbook. Considering he had only been here 4 or 5 days I thought Collaros was amazing. I think he's clearly the better prospect. Unlike my friend OV I think a player's NCAA resume is an important consideration in deciding whether to keep him or not. Collaros has had significant playing time against much much tougher defences than Harris has ever seen. Collaros saw action in two (!) BCS games, Harris played in a home stadium with a capacity of 6,000. I said in an earlier thread that Collaros reminded me of Kyle Quinlan but maybe not as strong an arm. He was successful in college because he's a gamer, and does what it takes to win whether by running or passing. His TD pass to Hubbard was right on the money unlike the miracle catch needed for Harris' TD throw. I think Collaros could have a long career in this league.

Ballstothewall
06-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Ok perhaps i was not joking now!!!

OV Argo
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
You gotta remember Harris had been through at least two mini-camps, rookie camp and the first few days of main TC before Collaros even got to see a playbook. Considering he had only been here 4 or 5 days I thought Collaros was amazing. I think he's clearly the better prospect. Unlike my friend OV I think a player's NCAA resume is an important consideration in deciding whether to keep him or not. Collaros has had significant playing time against much much tougher defences than Harris has ever seen. Collaros saw action in two (!) BCS games, Harris played in a home stadium with a capacity of 6,000. I said in an earlier thread that Collaros reminded me of Kyle Quinlan but maybe not as strong an arm. He was successful in college because he's a gamer, and does what it takes to win whether by running or passing. His TD pass to Hubbard was right on the money unlike the miracle catch needed for Harris' TD throw. I think Collaros could have a long career in this league.

Well Rich; Collaros did not get to play this ex. game while Harris put up some very impressive passing stats; maybe they can keep Collaros around on the PR some though? Jackson as #2 is a done deal i think - desire to have some experience there; and probably Harris at #3 unless Santos' experience with Millanovich counts for a lot? And what i like about Harris' resume is that he was a starter from a rookie on out - 4 years of starting and twice up for most outstanding player (in Div II ball though, but still - he produced); while Collaros was only a 2 year starter (albeit in Div I - higher level of competition maybe, but all sorts of top DI US college ball stars have not panned out in the CFL).

And Quinlan got to play for the Als after no playing time the first ex. game; goes 2 for 4 but for 40 some yards - i.e. averaged over 20 yards per completion - better than a lot of the typical CFL dink & dunk stuff that sees a lot of QBs barely averaging 10 yds./completion. I'll bet Quinlan gets cut and goes back to Mac - and never makes the CFL; but at least he got some sort of CFL shot i suppose = 4 pass attempts in 2 ex. games compared to how much playing time the likes of Harris got? And believing Quinlan couldn't possibly play QB at the CFL level after the QB skill package he showed in leading Mac to the Vanier, is IMO akin to pre-determined believing Fantuz or Foley or Flory couldn't play in the CFL either because they came out of CIS ball - i think those F-ing guys have proved otherwise - yeah, not only did they make the CFL, but when given opportunity to play they are clearly & easily league best calibre at their positions.

Wobbler
06-19-2012, 11:03 PM
[B]elieving Quinlan couldn't possibly play QB at the CFL level after the QB skill package he showed in leading Mac to the Vanier, is IMO akin to pre-determined believing Fantuz or Foley or Flory couldn't play in the CFL either because they came out of CIS ball - i think those F-ing guys have proved otherwise...
I don't really agree with your argument (on statistical grounds), but... nicely said! Heh heh.

argolio
06-20-2012, 01:11 AM
If Quinlan's playing time in pre-season is more or less proportional to his performance in camp compared to their other QBs, then I can't complain, but none of us likely knows much about their camp.

Great read and throw on his long completion though.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
If Quinlan's playing time in pre-season is more or less proportional to his performance in camp compared to their other QBs, then I can't complain, but none of us likely knows much about their camp.

Quinlan himself said that he isn't as consistent with his throws as the other QBs in camp and that is something that he needs to work on.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Well Rich; Collaros did not get to play this ex. game while Harris put up some very impressive passing stats; maybe they can keep Collaros around on the PR some though?

Collaros has an injured ankle which is why he did not play on Tuesday.

Argocister
06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

From what I recall, the Al's had 7 QBs at camp including Quinlan and Graves from the CIS. From the start it was evident that Quinlan and Graves would be heading back to school. They released Santos and I believe they are left with 4 now.

Will
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I was reading something in the Star about the game yesterday. I will concede that Ricky Ray didn't look good yesterday, but I don't think he looked unreasonable in the first pre-season game. His starts 8/15 for 99 yards in two pre-season games isn't great too, but some of the pundits are acting like it's the end of the world.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I was reading something in the Star about the game yesterday. I will concede that Ricky Ray didn't look good yesterday, but I don't think he looked unreasonable in the first pre-season game. His starts 8/15 for 99 yards in two pre-season games isn't great too, but some of the pundits are acting like it's the end of the world.

No kidding. I thought that Ray was decent in the first preseason game - heck, he put together two TD drives - while he struggled yesterday. However, if yesterday had been a normal game, he would have had another three quarters to work himself out of the rut. I guess that the media have to be provocative but some of what I have seen written and said is a little over the top.

AngeloV
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM

In all fairness to Ray, he was badly harrassed yesterday in the pocket. The O-line (Parneteau in particular) did not play well at that point in the game. The first interception was a fluke, and really goes on Van Zeyl. The tackle is suppossed to cut down the end on a quick flat pass and it never happened. I'm not concerned about Ray at all.

Will
06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I also noted that Parenteau struggled. Cory was having trouble as well when he tried the right side. There were several throws that Ray did have time and simply misfired. I'm not really concerned either though.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8