PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019 CFL Trade Deadline Thread

gilthethrill
10-09-2019, 02:30 PM
With this being deadline day, I thought a separate thread would be in order to discuss not only all the Argo transactions, but all league transactions that take place today.

Neely2005
10-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Is the deadline at 5PM Eastern?

gilthethrill
10-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Is the deadline at 5PM Eastern?

Yes, I believe so.

Argo57
10-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Yes, I believe so.

Ferguson on TSN1150 said 4:00pm deadline.

Argo57
10-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Thing could be heating up for the Argonauts in the trade front according to Matthew Scianitti, let’s see if anything actually happens.

gilthethrill
10-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Thing could be heating up for the Argonauts in the trade front according to Matthew Scianitti, let’s see if anything actually happens.

It had better....I took the day off work for this.

Argo57
10-09-2019, 04:22 PM
It had better....I took the day off work for this.

Apparently you are correct 5:00pm deadline👍
Crickets are still chirping.

gilthethrill
10-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Apparently you are correct 5:00pm deadline
Crickets are still chirping.

In addition to the crickets a tumbleweed just rolled down my street.

Shatto
10-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Taylor reporting Collaros traded to Winnipeg--anyone have any details?

Shatto
10-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Whoops--In my haste meant Naylor

Neely2005
10-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Collaros traded to Winnipeg:

http://www.tsn.ca/1.1378878

Shatto
10-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Not a bad trade--a definite 5th round choice and if Collaros resigns with Winnipeg the additional 3rd choice becomes a 1st rounder.

RB957
10-09-2019, 06:01 PM
I always liked Collaros as a QB... however with his history of concussions, I did not see him as part of the future for the Argos. I would have liked to see him play in double blue again, however don't think we have lost anything by trading him.

doubleblue
10-09-2019, 06:03 PM
I guess that shows what the desparate teams with no veteran back up QB's think of MBT and Franklin. They didn't have a round 9 to trade.

How are we going to keep all this straight on draft day?

argofan81
10-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Not a bad trade--a definite 5th round choice and if Collaros resigns with Winnipeg the additional 3rd choice becomes a 1st rounder.

I don't read it (the trade) that way? I read it as the Argos are giving Winnipeg Collaros plus their (the Argos) 5th round pick in exchange for Winnipeg's 3rd round pick. Or am I reading it wrong?

"The Bombers sent a third round draft pick to the Argos in exchange for Collaros and a fifth round draft pick." from https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-send-qb-zach-collaros-to-winnipeg-blue-bombers-1.1378878

The part about the 3rd round pick becoming a 1st round seems to be right.

argotom
10-09-2019, 06:27 PM
This is not a big loss or really any kind of a loss for us.
Unfortunately due to injuries, Zach's best years are behind him and he should retire for his long term health.

Argofan_1000
10-09-2019, 06:40 PM
will Argos have the 1st pick again this year? Who did they pick last year and what happened to him?

Shatto
10-09-2019, 06:47 PM
argofan81---think your read is correct. So a 5th for a 3rd--not as good a trade as first thought unless Collaros resigns with Winnipeg. ---then it becomes a 5th for a 1st.

Wobbler
10-09-2019, 08:37 PM
So in effect we've given up a strong fourth round pick and a strong fifth round pick for a weak third round pick? (Obviously Winnipeg has no intention of resigning him)

Not a big deal, but... not a win.

doubleblue
10-09-2019, 08:57 PM
will Argos have the 1st pick again this year? Who did they pick last year and what happened to him?

It will be a photo finish with Ottawa for the 1st overall pick. Last year Jim Popp picked Shawn Richards offensive lineman out of Oklahoma State. The jury is still out. May be able to play right guard eventually if Pinball can get him to turn that baby fat into muscle.

gilthethrill
10-09-2019, 09:24 PM
I am looking at the big picture. Collaros returns to Toronto in the off-season so he can be close to his family ....along with his new HC....Mike O'Shea.

timlb01
10-09-2019, 10:52 PM
It will be a photo finish with Ottawa for the 1st overall pick. Last year Jim Popp picked Shawn Richards offensive lineman out of Oklahoma State. The jury is still out. May be able to play right guard eventually if Pinball can get him to turn that baby fat into muscle.

In fairness to him he started in the first game of the year and was hurt. He has been back for 2 games or so and has rotated into the game occasionally. He is one massive man. He definitely needs some time to develop and like your assessment I think he needs to get into better shape. We shall see, there is a great deal of potential and from what I can see could be a dominate player in the future.

Shatto
10-09-2019, 11:48 PM
To get Collaros, Argos gave up a conditional 4th round pick. That could have become a 2nd round pick, if Collaros had reached certain playing time with the Argos. He didn't get any playing time so it should remain the loss of a 4th round pick,

Trading Collaros to Winnipeg, the Argos give up a 5th round pick but gain a 3rd. If Winnipeg resigns him, it becomes a 1st round pick.

Winnipeg expect Nichols back next year and appear to have some confidence in Streveler's potential. So unless Collaros shines for the rest of this season, Winnipeg, IMO, probably won't resign him, allowing Argos to sign him if they so wish.

So in summary:
We definitely lose a 5th rounder and a 4th rounder. We gain a 3rd round pick and the possibility of Collaros returning or a 1st round pick

jerrym
10-10-2019, 12:58 AM
The fourth rounder loss was a sunk cost, whether one liked the trade or not. So considering that the Argos are not going to the playoffs, I'm happy with the trade.

Argo57
10-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Good move recouping the draft pick from Winnipeg.
I never fully understood the Collaros trade to begin with.

lazycro
10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
To get Collaros, Argos gave up a conditional 4th round pick. That could have become a 2nd round pick, if Collaros had reached certain playing time with the Argos. He didn't get any playing time so it should remain the loss of a 4th round pick,

Trading Collaros to Winnipeg, the Argos give up a 5th round pick but gain a 3rd. If Winnipeg resigns him, it becomes a 1st round pick.

Winnipeg expect Nichols back next year and appear to have some confidence in Streveler's potential. So unless Collaros shines for the rest of this season, Winnipeg, IMO, probably won't resign him, allowing Argos to sign him if they so wish.

So in summary:
We definitely lose a 5th rounder and a 4th rounder. We gain a 3rd round pick and the possibility of Collaros returning or a 1st round pick

The condition is an additional 1st, the 3rd is regardless, if he re-signs it's two draft picks if he doesn't it's simply a draft pick swap.

paulwoods13
10-10-2019, 10:57 AM
The condition is an additional 1st, the 3rd is regardless, if he re-signs it's two draft picks if he doesn't it's simply a draft pick swap.

You sure about that? I read that the third gets upgraded to a first if he re-signs with the Bombers, not a first getting added to the package.

Argo57
10-10-2019, 11:15 AM
You sure about that? I read that the third gets upgraded to a first if he re-signs with the Bombers, not a first getting added to the package.

I thought the same Paul, however the Argos website states the Argos get a 3rd round pick and “in addition the Argos can acquire a Bombers future 1st round pick as early as 2020 if Collaros were to re-sign in Winnipeg”.
Clear as mud, is the third upgraded to a first or is an additional first added to the package of Collaros stays in Winnipeg?

https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/10/09/trade-argos-send-collaros-bombers-picks/

Shatto
10-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification (I think). It would be interesting to know if any team(s) showed any interest in acquiring MBT. It would be somewhat surprising if no one had showed any interest. IMO, he is a more than competent back up and could be good insurance if a playoff bound team were to lose their starter.

Neely2005
10-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Toronto Argonauts Media Relations on Twitter: "The trade for Zach Collaros is as follows: To Winnipeg: QB Zach Collaros and a 2020 fifth round pick. To Toronto: 2020 third round pick AND a potential first round pick if the QB re-signs in Winnipeg. *These …

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/1182116885124538368

paulwoods13
10-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification (I think). It would be interesting to know if any team(s) showed any interest in acquiring MBT. It would be somewhat surprising if no one had showed any interest. IMO, he is a more than competent back up and could be good insurance if a playoff bound team were to lose their starter.

My guess is that Argos decided not to trade the one QB they had who was both healthy and competent. And Wpg wanted no part of Franklin. It will be interesting to see what happens to MBT after the season. I get the sense Popp was ready to let him walk, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pinball sees value in re-signing him. He seems like the kind of personality Pinball would want on the team. Not necessarily as the No. 1, but a roster player who might be worth giving a shot at competing for the job. That said, I'd say there is little doubt that MBT will have options for next season. Experienced QBs are always in short supply.

paulwoods13
10-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Thanks for finding that tweet, Neely. That makes the trade look pretty darned attractive.

doubleblue
10-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Toronto Argonauts Media Relations on Twitter: "The trade for Zach Collaros is as follows: To Winnipeg: QB Zach Collaros and a 2020 fifth round pick. To Toronto: 2020 third round pick AND a potential first round pick if the QB re-signs in Winnipeg. *These …

Some people were reporting the Argos got a 5th beside the 3rd, but I see Winnipeg gets Argos 5th rounder. If Argos win tomorrow night that would pretty well place them as picking 2nd overall. Then 11th, 20th and probably about 25th. So John Murphy and his staff has a good six month to grade the top 25 or 30 draft prospects, and I'm sure all of us arm chair experts will be giving him lots of advice. lol

argolio
10-10-2019, 04:01 PM
If we want that 1st rounder, we need Streveler to continue to be mediocre and Collaros to come in and lead the Bombers to playoff success.

Stranger things have happened.

Argo57
10-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Let’s hope Collaros performs and makes Winnipeg’s decision very difficult.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8