PDA

View Full Version : Potential head coaches

paulwoods13
11-18-2019, 08:45 PM
The division finals got me thinking (more than usual) about possible candidates to be our head coach in 2020. I got to thinking, who would be on a "long list" of potential coaches if Bill Manning and Pinball Clemons wanted to turn over every stone. Without a ton of effort, I came up with no fewer than 30 names I think would be worth putting on such a list. Some of them are not really viable for one reason or another, but a lot of them could conceivably be interested in and qualified for the job. And no doubt I have forgotten some obvious (and maybe some not-so-obvious) contenders.

Kent Austin, Liberty OC, former Ham-Sask HC, former Argo OC
Jim Barker, Ham asst coach/personnel guy, former Argo HC and GM
Marcus Brady, Indianapolis QB coach, former Argo OC
Rick Campbell, former Ott HC
Corey Chamblin, Argo HC
DeVone Claybrooks, former BC HC, former Cal DC
Pinball Clemons, Argo GM, former Argo HC
Tommy Condell, Ham OC, former Argo OC
Ryan Dinwiddie, Cal QB coach
Kevin Eiben, Argo LB coach, former Argo STC
Jamie Elizondo, XFL Tampa asst, former Argo-Ott OC
Richie Hall, Wpg DC, former Edm HC, former Sask DC
Jonathan Himebauch, XFL Tampa asst, former Argo-Edm-Mtl OL coach
John Hufnagel, Cal president/GM, former Cal HC
Chris Jones, Cleveland asst, former Edm-Sask HC, former Argo-Cal-Mtl DC
Khari Jones, Mtl HC, former Ham-BC OC
June Jones, XFL Houston HC, former Ham HC-OC
Mark Kilam, Cal STC
Paul LaPolice, Wpg OC, former Wpg HC, former Argo asst
Jason Maas, Edm HC, former Ott OC, former Argo asst
Greg Marshall, UWO HC, former Ham HC
Scott Milanovich, Jacksonville QB coach, former Argo HC, former Mtl OC
Mike O'Shea, Wpg HC, former Argo STC
Stef Ptaszek, McMaster HC, former Ham OC
Jeff Reinebold, Ham STC, former Wpg HC, former Ham DC, former BC STC
Jason Shivers, Sask DC
Rich Stubler, former BC DC, former Argo HC-DC, DC elsewhere
Noel Thorpe, Ott DC, formerly Mtl DC
Steve Walsh, Sask QC coach, former Argo asst
Mark Washington, Ham DC, former BC DC

Stevoman
11-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Off that list, I'd take Mark Washington with Tommy Condell as OC. I'd also be fine with Pinball re-taking the reigns.

AngeloV
11-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Off that list, I'd take Mark Washington with Tommy Condell as OC. I'd also be fine with Pinball re-taking the reigns.

But why would Condell leave for a lateral move? If he isn't offered a HC position, he isn't going anywhere. I know Paul doesn't believe it will happen, but I still think O'Shea will be the guy. The fact he is still unsigned for next year tells me he will explore all avenues, and I think he will want to be the one to turn the team he spilled blood and guts for around.

Argo57
11-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Great list Paul.
Makes for some interesting speculation which is always fun.
I’ve broken down the list by possible HC, DC and OC.
As you said some feasible and some probably not for various reasons but coaches could become available from other teams.
Depending on the specialty of the HC hire (assuming they make a change) here are some possibilities:

HC Possibilities
Michael O’Shea
Tommy Condell
Paul LaPolice
Mike Benevides
Chris Jones
Rick Campbell

OC Possibilities
Ryan Dinwiddie
Buck Pierce
June Jones
Jaime Elizondo
Jonathan Himebauch

DC Possibilities
Mike Benevides
Ryan Phillips (BC Lions DB Coach)
Noel Thorpe
Phillip Lolley
Jordan Younger

paulwoods13
11-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Sure enough, missed Benevides on my list. Pierce as well altho I think he needs to be a coordinator first.

Treblecharger1
11-19-2019, 02:21 PM
I am not sure he would do it, But I think Steve Spurrier would make a great CFL coach. His team down in the AAF was fun to watch.

Just thinking outside the box

cfl-cis fan
11-19-2019, 03:13 PM
The division finals got me thinking (more than usual) about possible candidates to be our head coach in 2020. I got to thinking, who would be on a "long list" of potential coaches if Bill Manning and Pinball Clemons wanted to turn over every stone. Without a ton of effort, I came up with no fewer than 30 names I think would be worth putting on such a list. Some of them are not really viable for one reason or another, but a lot of them could conceivably be interested in and qualified for the job. And no doubt I have forgotten some obvious (and maybe some not-so-obvious) contenders.

Kent Austin, Liberty OC, former Ham-Sask HC, former Argo OC
Jim Barker, Ham asst coach/personnel guy, former Argo HC and GM
Marcus Brady, Indianapolis QB coach, former Argo OC
Rick Campbell, former Ott HC
Corey Chamblin, Argo HC
DeVone Claybrooks, former BC HC, former Cal DC
Pinball Clemons, Argo GM, former Argo HC
Tommy Condell, Ham OC, former Argo OC
Ryan Dinwiddie, Cal QB coach
Kevin Eiben, Argo LB coach, former Argo STC
Jamie Elizondo, XFL Tampa asst, former Argo-Ott OC
Richie Hall, Wpg DC, former Edm HC, former Sask DC
Jonathan Himebauch, XFL Tampa asst, former Argo-Edm-Mtl OL coach
John Hufnagel, Cal president/GM, former Cal HC
Chris Jones, Cleveland asst, former Edm-Sask HC, former Argo-Cal-Mtl DC
Khari Jones, Mtl HC, former Ham-BC OC
June Jones, XFL Houston HC, former Ham HC-OC
Mark Kilam, Cal STC
Paul LaPolice, Wpg OC, former Wpg HC, former Argo asst
Jason Maas, Edm HC, former Ott OC, former Argo asst
Greg Marshall, UWO HC, former Ham HC
Scott Milanovich, Jacksonville QB coach, former Argo HC, former Mtl OC
Mike O'Shea, Wpg HC, former Argo STC
Stef Ptaszek, McMaster HC, former Ham OC
Jeff Reinebold, Ham STC, former Wpg HC, former Ham DC, former BC STC
Jason Shivers, Sask DC
Rich Stubler, former BC DC, former Argo HC-DC, DC elsewhere
Noel Thorpe, Ott DC, formerly Mtl DC
Steve Walsh, Sask QC coach, former Argo asst
Mark Washington, Ham DC, former BC DC

I wish we could get Marcus Brady back in any role

AngeloV
11-19-2019, 03:25 PM
I am not sure he would do it, But I think Steve Spurrier would make a great CFL coach. His team down in the AAF was fun to watch.

Just thinking outside the box

For starters, Too old. An old coach may decide to retire at any time, and then you may be going through this process again way before you want to. Not to mention, no CFL experience, and maybe not a lot of contacts that know the league.

bannedforlife
11-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Sure enough, missed Benevides on my list.I was going to point that out but he cuts a jaunty figure on the sidelines and I'd like him to stay there to at least keep the amount of air time that goes to Davis Sanchez to a minimum.

paulwoods13
11-20-2019, 06:13 AM
Another name I forgot to include was Damon Allen.

ArgoZ
11-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Another name I forgot to include was Damon Allen.

Does Allen have a position with the club? I see him at every home game, wearing Argonauts gear, often on the sidelines. I could definitely see him fulfilling an assistant spot, should he want one. I really see a bunch of former Argo players headed our way thanks to Pinball.

paulwoods13
11-20-2019, 09:59 AM
I think Damon would want to be head coach, not an assistant. I would not rule out it happening, altho I would far rather have someone with coaching experience at the top of the chart.

AngeloV
11-20-2019, 10:31 AM
I think Damon would want to be head coach, not an assistant. I would not rule out it happening, altho I would far rather have someone with coaching experience at the top of the chart.

The more I think about it, the less coaching experience really matters to me. Pinball proved this when he took over as head coach. What you really need is a head coach that can put together a good group of coordinators and assistants, but is really in tune with the game for the all important game day decisions, like when to go for a 3rd down gamble, an appropriate time to challenge, when to make a positional change if someone just isn't on that day...etc. Most importantly is to have the respect of the team, and know how to motivate.

Still, my first choice is definitely O'Shea.

Ron
11-20-2019, 11:58 AM
For starters, Too old.

agreed. 42-43 is the optimum age.

mchesher03
11-20-2019, 12:34 PM
The more I think about it, the less coaching experience really matters to me. Pinball proved this when he took over as head coach. What you really need is a head coach that can put together a good group of coordinators and assistants, but is really in tune with the game for the all important game day decisions, like when to go for a 3rd down gamble, an appropriate time to challenge, when to make a positional change if someone just isn't on that day...etc. Most importantly is to have the respect of the team, and know how to motivate.

Still, my first choice is definitely O'Shea.

I loved O'Shea as an Argonaut, would love to see him back leading the team as HC. Will it happen, who knows. But my vote would be for O'Shea too.

cfl-cis fan
11-20-2019, 12:48 PM
seen many responses for OShea as the man. If he does get the job will he be able to change the assistants. I am sorry for not agreeing with most but the OC has to be changed.

argolio
11-20-2019, 12:59 PM
seen many responses for OShea as the man. If he does get the job will he be able to change the assistants. I am sorry for not agreeing with most but the OC has to be changed.I don't think he'd take the job unless he could choose his own assistants.

Argo57
11-20-2019, 01:13 PM
seen many responses for OShea as the man. If he does get the job will he be able to change the assistants. I am sorry for not agreeing with most but the OC has to be changed.

My guess is the majority actually want the OC to be replaced.

paulwoods13
11-20-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty confident that most if not all of the assistants would have been on one-year contracts, and that the next HC would not take the job if he had to be saddled with the current staff. He may choose to keep some of them, but it absolutely needs to be his prerogative not to keep anyone he doesn't want.

AngeloV
11-20-2019, 11:01 PM

None of the assistants are under contract for next year. With the new coaches cap, I think that will be the norm going forward. I like Ambrosie, but that and the thought of only dressing 2 QB’s next year are not his best decisions.

Stevoman
11-21-2019, 01:03 AM
But why would Condell leave for a lateral move? If he isn't offered a HC position, he isn't going anywhere. I know Paul doesn't believe it will happen, but I still think O'Shea will be the guy. The fact he is still unsigned for next year tells me he will explore all avenues, and I think he will want to be the one to turn the team he spilled blood and guts for around.

I know, just stating what I hope would happen.

DoubleBlue_Red
11-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Mike Babcock.

Argo57
11-21-2019, 03:42 PM
A couple of articles regarding O’Shea, first 3down’s article gives some insight as to how O’Shea handled himself as a player and coach through former teammates and current players, have a read and you will be more convinced that he would be a worthy choice for the Argonauts.
https://3downnation.com/2019/11/20/madani-oshea-remains-winnipegs-steady-captain/
(https://3downnation.com/2019/11/20/madani-oshea-remains-winnipegs-steady-captain/)
Now a potential downside regarding O’Shea possibly returning to the Argos as Rod Pederson’s article seems to point in the direction that O’Shea may in fact stay in Winnipeg.
All scenarios are possible at this point including the status quo in Toronto with Chamblin as HC (highly unlikely IMO), the lure of returning to Toronto (after talking to Pinball) or the Winnipeg scenario stated above, should be a very interesting couple of weeks following this weekends game.
https://rodpedersen.com/bombers-have-verbal-agreement-with-oshea/

paulwoods13
11-21-2019, 03:53 PM
I still think O'Shea is not leaving Wpg.

Argo57
11-21-2019, 03:55 PM
I still think O'Shea is not leaving Wpg.

You may very well be correct Paul.

bannedforlife
11-21-2019, 04:09 PM
I still think O'Shea is not leaving Wpg.I think he should. Some of the dopey (not all, just the dopey ones) fans in Wpg, were on him like flies on poop when the team flatlined during the season. You could hear the resounding thump of jumping off the bandwagon and it was all directed at Osh. And yet Lapo gets all the praise and credit when they do well. I'm cheering for the Bombers to win it all just to spite those people just as I did the people who kept calling Montreal a train wreck and dumpster fire last year without even seeing what talent they had.

I'm not sure if I posted it here but a few years ago I opined that Osh would be the next Wally Buono and build a big, long winning career, it had a rough start but he sure has rebounded and is making me believe in my prediction again.

AngeloV
11-21-2019, 04:21 PM
A couple of articles regarding O’Shea, first 3down’s article gives some insight as to how O’Shea handled himself as a player and coach through former teammates and current players, have a read and you will be more convinced that he would be a worthy choice for the Argonauts.
https://3downnation.com/2019/11/20/madani-oshea-remains-winnipegs-steady-captain/
(https://3downnation.com/2019/11/20/madani-oshea-remains-winnipegs-steady-captain/)
Now a potential downside regarding O’Shea possibly returning to the Argos as Rod Pederson’s article seems to point in the direction that O’Shea may in fact stay in Winnipeg.
All scenarios are possible at this point including the status quo in Toronto with Chamblin as HC (highly unlikely IMO), the lure of returning to Toronto (after talking to Pinball) or the Winnipeg scenario stated above, should be a very interesting couple of weeks following this weekends game.
https://rodpedersen.com/bombers-have-verbal-agreement-with-oshea/

Rod Pederson is wrong more often than he is right, so I am even more confident that O'Shea will return.

Argo57
11-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Rod Pederson is wrong more often than he is right, so I am even more confident that O'Shea will return.

Just food for thought, the article says a lot but is also up for interpretation, until a contract is actually signed anything is possible.

Joe Barnes
11-21-2019, 06:48 PM
I still think it may well be Chamblin. I didn't say I was happy about this, but why didn't they fire him, like BC did with Claybrooks? Had a demotion been coming, or if he was going to be left twisting in the wind, I'd think he would have quit, like Campbell did. Pinball may not have hired him, but Manning did.

AngeloV
11-21-2019, 08:06 PM
I still think it may well be Chamblin. I didn't say I was happy about this, but why didn't they fire him, like BC did with Claybrooks? Had a demotion been coming, or if he was going to be left twisting in the wind, I'd think he would have quit, like Campbell did. Pinball may not have hired him, but Manning did.

The team took a lot of flack for the way they fired Trestman last year, and because of that I think they don’t want this to look like a knee jerk reaction, but if I were to bet, I would say he will be fired by mid December st the latest.

gilthethrill
11-22-2019, 05:18 AM

Why would Chamblin quit when he has a year (plus an option) on his contract? If he gets relieved of his HC duties, he still gets paid ...If he quits I don't think that he would get that money that's owed to him.

Joe Barnes
11-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Why would Chamblin quit when he has a year (plus an option) on his contract? If he gets relieved of his HC duties, he still gets paid ...If he quits I don't think that he would get that money that's owed to him.

True enough! Perhaps if they can't get O'Shea, they will stick with Chamblin? It just seems odd that they've waited this long. It's not fair to him if they do plan on firing him, IMO. Just get it over with, or, if he is staying, announce he's the guy!

paulwoods13
11-22-2019, 09:18 AM
I don't think this is odd at all. Pinball indicated the review process, down and up, would last into a second week. That gets us to mid-week last week. At that point they were likely prevented by the CFL from making an announcement until after Grey Cup. I expect we are going to hear their plans next week. This is in line with the notice that went out saying season's tickets will go on sale in December.

Joe Barnes
11-22-2019, 11:49 AM
I don't think this is odd at all. Pinball indicated the review process, down and up, would last into a second week. That gets us to mid-week last week. At that point they were likely prevented by the CFL from making an announcement until after Grey Cup. I expect we are going to hear their plans next week. This is in line with the notice that went out saying season's tickets will go on sale in December.

Oh, all right...I'll be patient! Not one of my stronger traits...

stuntdog
11-23-2019, 10:32 AM
I can see Travis Lulay becoming a very effective HC, especially if he follows the Dave Dickenson path of offensive assistant coach / QB coach to OC to HC. Ricky Ray could follow that trajectory too.

The Argos probably have a better chance of getting Ray to join their staff.

Tobin Rote
11-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Has anyone on this board spoken to Mike O'Shea about his future?

argonaut11xx
11-23-2019, 03:47 PM
If the Argo's keep Chamblin, i think hiring Claybrooks as D-coordinator might actually work well.

A new OC, is needed, and a full time DC in Claybrooks

It wouldnt be terrible

Argo57
11-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Speculation O’Shea will probably stay in Winnipeg and Chamblin retained by the Argos with major changes made to the coaching staff.
If this comes to pass very disappointing news heading into 2020.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqtITTsIHmAhVEKa0KHZV6DVsQglR6BAgKEAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTSNDaveNaylor%2Fst atus%2F1198337952948137985%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%255Eg oogle%257Ctwcamp%255Eserp%257Ctwgr%255Etweet&usg=AOvVaw2tZ5SeoX0T5m8-Vry2Jbcs (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqtITTsIHmAhVEKa0KHZV6DVsQglR6BAgKEAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTSNDaveNaylor%2Fst atus%2F1198339428894281728%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%5Egoo gle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet&usg=AOvVaw2PUyC5OkzUE1BpVEmUPAzD)

Joe Barnes
11-23-2019, 07:04 PM
Speculation O’Shea will probably stay in Winnipeg and Chamblin retained by the Argos with major changes made to the coaching staff.
If this comes to pass very disappointing news heading into 2020.

(https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqtITTsIHmAhVEKa0KHZV6DVsQglR6BAgKEAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTSNDaveNaylor%2Fst atus%2F1198339428894281728%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc^googl e|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet&usg=AOvVaw2PUyC5OkzUE1BpVEmUPAzD)https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqtITTsIHmAhVEKa0KHZV6DVsQglR6BAgKEAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTSNDaveNaylor%2Fst atus%2F1198337952948137985%3Fref_src%3Dtwsrc%5Egoo gle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet&usg=AOvVaw2tZ5SeoX0T5m8-Vry2Jbcs

My Spidey senses may be correct after all? If so, it's a tough sell to the fan base.

argotom
11-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Keeping Chamblin after the disastrous season would be a horrible mistake.

SkalbaniasGhost
11-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Keeping Chamblin after the disastrous season would be a horrible mistake.
It will be interesting to see who is picked as Offensive Coordinator by John Murphy.Pete Costanza or Ryan Dinwiddie could make things very uncomfortable for Mr.Chamblin.It's not good to have a lame duck coach whose on a short leash.

gilthethrill
11-23-2019, 08:35 PM
It will be interesting to see who is picked as Offensive Coordinator by John Murphy.Pete Costanza or Ryan Dinwiddie could make things very uncomfortable for Mr.Chamblin.It's not good to have a lame duck coach whose on a short leash.

Read an article by Dan Barnes of the Ottawa Sun stating Damon Allen had his agent contact CFL teams informing them he is seeking an OC position in the league.

Argo57
11-23-2019, 08:41 PM

I’m really hoping Naylor is wrong with this one, Chamblin’s last couple years as a HC (Riders and Argos) have been disastrous.
Personally I’d like to see the team go in a different direction and put 2019 in the past, the team was ill prepared and Chamblin’s in game decision making piss poor.
A couple of things to consider, if Chamblin returns and is perceived as a “lame duck” HC what kind of staff will he be able to assemble, also will free agents be a little reluctant to come to Toronto with him at the helm?

Argo57
11-23-2019, 08:46 PM

George Costanza should make Chamblin uncomfortable at this point.

paulwoods13
11-24-2019, 08:37 AM
If Naylor is reporting it, there is almost certainly credence to this. IMO it would be a mistake both competitively and from a ticket-sales perspective, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see the overall plan.

dmont
11-24-2019, 10:37 AM
I'm ok with Chamblin coming back. Even Trestman couldn't break 4-14 with a Jim Popp-assembled team. If Chamblin has better coordinators and assistants, everything will be fine.

And forget coaches for a minute, can we get this team some decent trainers and physical therapists? Our defense was dropping like flies. Remember that first game against Hamilton? Seemed like our players joints and ligaments were made of glass.

Shatto
11-24-2019, 12:45 PM
It might be easier sell to fans, that this year will be different, if there is a complete house clearing.

Nob
11-24-2019, 03:56 PM
No, god please, NO!!!

I don’t want to hear “the team didn’t quit on him”, or “nobody could win with the lineup that Popp provided”, or “we messed up the Trestman firing, so he deserves a break....” He is not a good HC. His decisions ranged from weird to flat out dumb.

I get that you can’t change the coach every year, but you won’t be able to sell me, or many others, on this guy returning as HC. I’d rather have the promise of hope with new blood, then trying to say that it will be better in the second year.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2019, 04:04 PM
The two best offensive coordinators in the game are coaching in tonight's Grey Cup. This isn't difficult - sign one of them as head coach!!

Argo57
11-24-2019, 04:13 PM
The two best offensive coordinators in the game are coaching in tonight's Grey Cup. This isn't difficult - sign one of them as head coach!!

Condell is ready to make the next step IMO and would be a great hire, I’m still trying to rationalize the possibility of Chamblin coaching the Argos in 2020 (it’s not going so well).

Argo57
11-24-2019, 04:32 PM
No, god please, NO!!!

I don’t want to hear “the team didn’t quit on him”, or “nobody could win with the lineup that Popp provided”, or “we messed up the Trestman firing, so he deserves a break....” He is not a good HC. His decisions ranged from weird to flat out dumb.

I get that you can’t change the coach every year, but you won’t be able to sell me, or many others, on this guy returning as HC. I’d rather have the promise of hope with new blood, then trying to say that it will be better in the second year.

I agree with you, if the coach showed any promise then for sure give him a second chance but this team was so ill prepared and performed so badly this season that retaining Chamblin shouldn’t be considered.
Chamblin 4-23 in his last 2 seasons as a CFL HC.
Some very good candidates out there who should be pursued!!!!!!

ArgoZ
11-24-2019, 11:54 PM
Naylor isn’t reporting anything we already don’t know. Chamblin is still under contract and hasn’t been fired. If the Argos don’t sign another coach, then they might have to settle for Chamblin. Duh. It’s all speculation, much like the rumours of O’Shea a day earlier. None of this means anything. An insider, who only reporting “what if’s” is not reputable.

The Argos management is clueless if they retain Chamblin. His terrible record speaks for itself. It’s MLSE, so I don’t want to hear about any salary cap bull crap. Pay for the best man, and pay the penalties. This franchise can not afford to start the season losing.

lazycro
11-25-2019, 08:44 AM
I'm ok with Chamblin coming back. Even Trestman couldn't break 4-14 with a Jim Popp-assembled team. If Chamblin has better coordinators and assistants, everything will be fine.

And forget coaches for a minute, can we get this team some decent trainers and physical therapists? Our defense was dropping like flies. Remember that first game against Hamilton? Seemed like our players joints and ligaments were made of glass.

if we could stop them from running off with Marlies/Leaf players.....
Our previous one dated Calle Rosen and he's off in Colorado this year

AngeloV
11-25-2019, 09:17 AM

I would be happy with either one, but at the same time, if the head coach is also the offensive coordinator, you can run into the same issues we had with Chamblin this past season where the head coach is too focused on one side of the ball, and not the overall team.

Personally, I would prefer proper structure. Get a head coach, and separate coordinators. I still am not giving up hope on O'Shea coming home where he belongs.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2019, 09:28 AM
I stil have hope O'Shea will pull a Kawhi Leonard and go home. Their is a lot of rumblings surrounding some internal conflict between management, O'Shea, co-ordinators, all not seeing eye to eye. I think if O'Shea were to join the Argos, the team would really be his and Pinball's from top down. And trying to create this culture and turn it around might be a tempting challenge. But of course, all it takes is a contract extension to quash this. Maybe Osh was leaning towards leaving but now wants a pay bump to remain since he ended their drought.

Damon Allen also has publicly announced his interest in becoming a CFL OC. He's 56 with zero CFL coaching experience, was out of the game since retiring. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this. If he was serious about coaching, he probably could've started out as a CIS OC and worked his way into the CFL.

Argo57
11-25-2019, 09:43 AM
I stil have hope O'Shea will pull a Kawhi Leonard and go home. Their is a lot of rumblings surrounding some internal conflict between management, O'Shea, co-ordinators, all not seeing eye to eye. I think if O'Shea were to join the Argos, the team would really be his and Pinball's from top down. And trying to create this culture and turn it around might be a tempting challenge. But of course, all it takes is a contract extension to quash this. Maybe Osh was leaning towards leaving but now wants a pay bump to remain since he ended their drought.

Damon Allen also has publicly announced his interest in becoming a CFL OC. He's 56 with zero CFL coaching experience, was out of the game since retiring. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this. If he was serious about coaching, he probably could've started out as a CIS OC and worked his way into the CFL.

I would be very happy if O’Shea joined the Argos at this point, this team needs to move forward from the 2019 season and retaining Chamblin won’t accomplish this.
Culture change badly needed which has started with Pinball and Murphy running the football ops side, time to look at the coaching.
Damon Allen has a great CFL career but he has been out of the game for quite some, nice that he has declared himself interested in an OC job but there are more qualified individuals who have paid their dues in the game, HOF player or not no shortcuts allowed.

paulwoods13
11-25-2019, 10:44 AM
The worst-case scenario, IMO, would be Chamblin staying as head coach and Allen coming in as OC. But I think the former is likely and the latter is a distinct possibility.

If Chamblin does stay, I think Claybrooks will be hired as DC. I wouldn't mind that but obviously my preference would be a new head coach.

AngeloV
11-25-2019, 11:36 AM
I think if O'Shea were to join the Argos, the team would really be his and Pinball's from top down..

I hope the Argos reach out to him soon and present this outlook, even if they have a penalty for tampering coming their way.

Argo57
11-25-2019, 11:41 AM
I hope the Argos reach out to him soon and present this outlook, even if they have a penalty for tampering coming their way.

Yes sir, put your best foot forward in trying to get him back to Toronto and deal with the fallout after.

Shatto
11-25-2019, 11:57 AM
As Argo57 states, we need a culture change and that includes coaching.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm still convinced the Argos have a shot at O'Shea. Bombers expectations are high going into next season and beyond. O'Shea might be let go after 1-2 seasons if they can't continue winning the GC or the Western Division. There's also the rumour that team may have to make choice whether to keep Osh or Walters. I guess they can't work together? Winnipeg can survive by promoting LaPolice to HC. Won't be a huge hit of they were to lose O'Shea.

But, as I said before. This can all be quashed if he signs that contract extension.

Antwon
11-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Allen becoming any teams OC would be a mistake. He need to work his way up. Too many qualified coaches out there.
Khari Jones is a good example of putting in the time as positional coaches.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2019, 01:15 PM
I think it’s safe to say Allen has more of an ego.

Argo57
11-25-2019, 03:26 PM
I think it’s safe to say Allen has more of an ego.

Yes, have a read, time for Allen to stop the bleeding for the team blessed enough to hire him.👍

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=2ahUKEwi1hYz_lYbmAhVkhOAKHToRDicQFjAEegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftorontosun.com%2Fsports%2Ffootba ll%2Fcfl%2Fdamon-allen-seeking-offensive-co-ordinator-post-in-the-cfl&usg=AOvVaw0T5ymGPRKs4u0PIXuSn4FF

1971GreyCup
11-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Eskimos have parted ways with Jason Maas.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/27/esks-part-ways-head-coach-jason-maas/

doubleblue
11-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Jason Maas is a better Coach than Chamblin IMO but his bombastic style might not be the right fit in Toronto now. Maybe he will end up back in Ottawa.

argotom
11-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Not surprised with this prompt decision.
I am surprised how the Argos are waffling with Chamblin, as he should have been fired the next day after our last game.
Looks like he is staying as the last rumour at GC week.
This means we are going to lose out on both potentially O'Shea, even though he is supposedly re-signing, but then there goes Lapolice the best offensive mind in the league probably to either Edmonton or Ottawa?

AngeloV
11-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Jason Maas is a better Coach than Chamblin IMO but his bombastic style might not be the right fit in Toronto now. Maybe he will end up back in Ottawa.

For this reason, I think Maas is destined to be an OC for the remainder of his career. I would be open to him coming here as an OC.

gilthethrill
11-27-2019, 02:47 PM
For this reason, I think Maas is destined to be an OC for the remainder of his career. I would be open to him coming here as an OC.

After reading your comments I slammed down my headset and went on a profane laced tirade.

Argo57
11-27-2019, 03:37 PM

This is how I feel as well, Maas is a good OC who I wouldn’t mind back in Toronto.

AngeloV
11-27-2019, 04:12 PM
After reading your comments I slammed down my headset and went on a profane laced tirade.

No damage to the gatorade cooler?

gilthethrill
11-27-2019, 04:28 PM
No damage to the gatorade cooler?

I am told that is off limits at my house.

Shatto
11-27-2019, 05:19 PM
It has been reported by some sources, Edmonton was concerned that bringing Mass back could hurt the team from the view point of marketing and ticketing. Hello Argos--are you listening?

1971GreyCup
11-28-2019, 06:45 AM
It looks like the Lions and REDBLACKS are in the running for LaPolice.

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/27/redblacks-lions-ask-permission-to-interview-bombers-paul-lapolice/

Argo57
11-28-2019, 10:49 AM
It looks like the Lions and REDBLACKS are in the running for LaPolice.

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/27/redblacks-lions-ask-permission-to-interview-bombers-paul-lapolice/

Glad to see other organizations in need of a HC proactively pursuing a good crop of available candidates.👍

Bleeds Double Blue
11-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Glad to see other organizations in need of a HC proactively pursuing a good crop of available candidates.

Meanwhile we have Cory Take My Challenge Flag Away Chamblin.

Argo57
11-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Meanwhile we have Cory Take My Challenge Flag Away Chamblin.

Admittedly I’m pretty frustrated at the possibility that Chamblin could be retained.
The Argos desperately need to put an entertaining and competitive predict on the field non of which were evident under Chamblin in 2019.
I just hate the thought that other franchises who have identified the fact that their 2019 seasons weren’t good enough are proactively addressing the issue and looking to deal with it while the Argos apparently may stay with Chamblin.

gilthethrill
11-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Admittedly I’m pretty frustrated at the possibility that Chamblin could be retained.
The Argos desperately need to put an entertaining and competitive predict on the field non of which were evident under Chamblin in 2019.
I just hate the thought that other franchises who have identified the fact that their 2019 seasons weren’t good enough are proactively addressing the issue and looking to deal with it while the Argos apparently may stay with Chamblin.

I strongly feel that the title of this thread should be renamed " Potential Head Coaches the Argos Should Be But Won't Be Hiring".

Antwon
11-28-2019, 03:17 PM
The worst part is Chamblin's expertise is defense, and the D looked average to horrible last year.
If they keep Chamblin, will they get a new OC and DC? I don't even know if that will help.

Argo57
11-28-2019, 05:42 PM
I strongly feel that the title of this thread should be renamed " Potential Head Coaches the Argos Should Be But Won't Be Hiring".

Good point.
Nothing has been announced either way, I wonder if there is still some internal debate happening within the management team?

gilthethrill
11-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Good point.
Nothing has been announced either way, I wonder if there is still some internal debate happening within the management team?

If Chamblin stays it's because Manning does not want to pay CC to leave.

Argo57
11-28-2019, 06:14 PM
If Chamblin stays it's because Manning does not want to pay CC to leave.

I guess the Corp is tapped out because they have to pay Babs not to coach the Leafs.

AngeloV
11-28-2019, 06:19 PM
If Chamblin stays, and I really hope he doesn't, it's because Pinball wants to give him another chance. IMO, Manning and the coaches cap has nothing to do with it.

Ron
11-29-2019, 01:15 AM
If Chamblin stays, and I really hope he doesn't, it's because Pinball wants to give him another chance. IMO, Manning and the coaches cap has nothing to do with it.

Exactly. Right now CC hasn't failed Pinball so Pinball won't go through the "optics" of firing someone who hasn't failed him. How anyone could be surprised by this from Pinball after watching him the last 20 years is beyond me.

gilthethrill
11-29-2019, 06:54 AM

Even Steve Simmons wrote that if the Argos keep Chamblin that shows Manning knows nothing about football. Not suggesting the coaches cap is in play, but I think Manning isn't going to spend a a good chunk of change for CC to go away when the Argos don't generate income for MLSE.

gilthethrill
11-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Exactly. Right now CC hasn't failed Pinball so Pinball won't go through the "optics" of firing someone who hasn't failed him. How anyone could be surprised by this from Pinball after watching him the last 20 years is beyond me.

Well I guess I am beyond you then Ron....I'm thinking Manning is calling the shot on this one.

Argo57
11-29-2019, 07:46 AM

Contrary to what you have posted he would never look at this from his perspective alone, he’s all about what is best for the team.
No doubt Clemons will have final say on this but I’m sure he has had many collaborative discussions with the appropriate people.

1971GreyCup
11-29-2019, 08:06 AM
I think a lesson was learned when Trestman was fired hastily on the telephone. I expect lots of thoughtful changes. To me, the absence of interest in other coaches, John Murphy as Asst. GM, and the lack of urgency, leads me to conclude that “Pinball” will be next year’s HC.

I have no basis for saying this other than a conclusion based on the series of recent events. I am sure the highest level of urgency for change is currently prevalent at the Argos.

The lack of activity and urgency leads me to believe the HC is locked up. If this was the case, the Argos would Be putting into place a ”John Hufnagel” type of organization that made Calgary so successful for so long. Only recently was Dave Dickenson elevated to HC. I’m sure system that the system appealed to the Stamps’ owners, the Flames, That was so successful for so long would appeal to MLSE.

Here’s hoping.

AngeloV
11-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Even Steve Simmons wrote that if the Argos keep Chamblin that shows Manning knows nothing about football. Not suggesting the coaches cap is in play, but I think Manning isn't going to spend a a good chunk of change for CC to go away when the Argos don't generate income for MLSE.

But IMO, if Pinball didn’t have the authority to make moves he felt necessary, he would never have taken the job in the first place. I’ve grown to like Steve Simmons, but I think a comment like that is just over sensationalizing his point.

gilthethrill
11-29-2019, 08:46 AM
But IMO, if Pinball didn’t have the authority to make moves he felt necessary, he would never have taken the job in the first place. I’ve grown to like Steve Simmons, but I think a comment like that is just over sensationalizing his point.

Yes, that crossed my mind too....CFL teams do have a "Mulligan" they can use regarding the coaches cap, but for some reason I just think Manning is trying to avoid paying a HC not to coach for a second year in a row. Not optimistic the team can assemble a good staff of assistants if CC stays, which it appears he is.

Argo57
11-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Yes, that crossed my mind too....CFL teams do have a "Mulligan" they can use regarding the coaches cap, but for some reason I just think Manning is trying to avoid paying a HC not to coach for a second year in a row. Not optimistic the team can assemble a good staff of assistants if CC stays, which it appears he is.

I suspect any “high end” coordinator will explore other options before looking at the Argos if Chamblin indeed returns.

AngeloV
11-29-2019, 09:13 AM
I suspect any “high end” coordinator will explore other options before looking at the Argos if Chamblin indeed returns.

A high end coordinator won't leave a current gig for anything less than a HC job, so it wouldn't matter who the HC is. You're either going to get an experienced coordinator who is currently out of work (like last year), or you go outside the box and try and get a current position coach looking for the next step up in a career (perhaps Buck Pierce?)

gilthethrill
11-29-2019, 09:33 AM
A high end coordinator won't leave a current gig for anything less than a HC job, so it wouldn't matter who the HC is. You're either going to get an experienced coordinator who is currently out of work (like last year), or you go outside the box and try and get a current position coach looking for the next step up in a career (perhaps Buck Pierce?)

I like your thinking, but I sense LaPo will move on from Winnipeg and OSH will promote Buck to OC, which he deserves.

gilthethrill
11-29-2019, 09:39 AM

The only way a "high end" coordinator comes to Toronto is if he is currently out of the league. Mike Benevedes comes to mind as DC and perhaps Assistant HC. Maybe Chapdelaine stays on as well since him and CC have a history together. I don't like where this is going.

Argo57
11-29-2019, 10:08 AM

That’s fair Angelo.
Should have been more clear, I was talking more about promising prospective coordinators such as Dinwiddie, Pierce and Mueller from Calgary.
Up and comers who maybe ready to take the next step, my sense is they will want to join a stable situation which may not be the Argos if Chamblin is perceived as a lame duck coach.
I still find it odd that the Argos have not clarified their direction for the 2020 season?

Argo57
11-29-2019, 10:14 AM
The only way a "high end" coordinator comes to Toronto is if he is currently out of the league. Mike Benevedes comes to mind as DC and perhaps Assistant HC. Maybe Chapdelaine stays on as well since him and CC have a history together. I don't like where this is going.

I don’t like it either, as the old saying goes “you snooze you lose”.

Joe Barnes
11-29-2019, 11:58 AM
I still find it odd that the Argos have not clarified their direction for the 2020 season?

That is my problem with all of this, as well. Either he is coming back, or he isn't, and the team is exploring all of the options. Make an announcement! I don't think anyone on here thinks he should be back, but if he is, let the world know. The current vacuum doesn't look good.

Argo57
11-29-2019, 01:22 PM
As speculated it looks like Mike O’Shea will be staying in Winnipeg, no shock considering they just won the Grey Cup.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjgtr_nhJDmAhVJSN8KHYt0B7oQxfQBMAJ6BAgGE As&url=https%3A%2F%2F3downnation.com%2F2019%2F11%2F29 %2Fpretty-high-percentage-of-mike-oshea-signing-contract-extension-with-the-bombers%2F&usg=AOvVaw0i25llCio1CepnvSBKXXYa (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjgtr_nhJDmAhVJSN8KHYt0B7oQxfQBMAJ6BAgGE As&url=https%3A%2F%2F3downnation.com%2F2019%2F11%2F29 %2Fpretty-high-percentage-of-mike-oshea-signing-contract-extension-with-the-bombers%2F&usg=AOvVaw0i25llCio1CepnvSBKXXYa)

SkalbaniasGhost
11-29-2019, 02:08 PM
I've made my peace with the idea of Chamblin coming back.It would primarily be a lame duck situation to save money. I'm concerned about the coordinator positions. Chamblin would be looking over his shoulder all of training camp thru game 6.I don't want Steve McAdoo or Noel Thorpe here trying to create a soap opera situation.

paulwoods13
11-29-2019, 02:12 PM
IMO it is unrealistic to think that a decision of this magnitude would be made without both Manning and Pinball being in agreement. As CEO, Manning has overall responsibility within MLSE for the franchise, and would almost certainly need corporate approval to eat another contract and/or to incur a league penalty and/or to ignore league rules. As GM, Pinball obviously needs to be on board with the coaching staff. Whatever ends up happening, I believe both Manning and Pinball will agree on, but we will probably never know whose idea it was originally.

As someone suggested earlier, it's entirely plausible that Manning's hands have been tied by Head Office refusing to eat another contract. Considering the Argos likely didn't make their revenue targets this year, that seems like a good possibility. MLSE doesn't hesitate to spend a lot on its franchises that make a lot of money; Argos are an outlier, revenue-wise, and there's little evidence that MLSE would be as quick to spend unbudgeted money on them.

The fact it's taking so long for news to come out could mean any of several things: 1. Decision on CC has not yet been made; 2. Decision has been made, he is staying and the org will announce it when it is ready for the fallout from that announcement; 3. Decision has been made, he is leaving and the org is quietly talking to candidates; 4. Decision has been made, he is leaving, org has successor in place and will announce when it feels it's appropriate to do so; 5. Many other possibilities.

Argonut1996
11-29-2019, 03:17 PM
I strongly believe coaching changes have to be made, but I'm becoming very concerned about the timing as other teams are already approaching the strong choices. Is this why the team is not yet selling 2020 ST's.

argotom
11-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Boy, it's been now nearly one full business week after the GC and the silence is deafening.
You hate to say the team is fiddling while Rome burns.....but what's going on.
Especially like most of us have been saying and if it is true how Chamblin is out.
We are going to miss out again on potential hotly in demand new hirings especially what's going on with the rest of the teams out their now interviewing to replace, not to mention the then second most important jobs of coordinators.

Will
11-29-2019, 04:41 PM
I strongly believe coaching changes have to be made, but I'm becoming very concerned about the timing as other teams are already approaching the strong choices. Is this why the team is not yet selling 2020 ST's.

That is a theory I've seen presented.

paulwoods13
11-29-2019, 04:53 PM
There's little doubt mgmt. knows it can't sell tix without either a head coach or a QB signed. Getting the coach will be faster and easier than getting the QB. I expect we will have an announcement on the coach by early next week, with ST sales to start immediately thereafter. (Mind you, I also expected CC to be fired a day or two after the season ended.)

doubleblue
11-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Boy, it's been now nearly one full business week after the GC and the silence is deafening.
You hate to say the team is fiddling while Rome burns.....but what's going on.
Especially like most of us have been saying and if it is true how Chamblin is out.
We are going to miss out again on potential hotly in demand new hirings especially what's going on with the rest of the teams out their now interviewing to replace, not to mention the then second most important jobs of coordinators.

Does seem strange that things have gone quiet. Didn't Pinball kind give the impression he would take about two weeks to decide on a plan after the season. I can see waiting until after the GC but should have had everything in place to make a move this week. Makes me wonder if someone over ruled canning Chamblin with two years left on his contract. Maybe Pinball will have to take over as HC with Cory staying on as the highest paid defensive coordinator in the League.

cfl-cis fan
11-29-2019, 05:18 PM

don't like where this is going either. Sorry but Chapdelaine HAS to GO. If they both stay then what has pinball done!!

argotom
11-29-2019, 06:47 PM
don't like where this is going either. Sorry but Chapdelaine HAS to GO. If they both stay then what has pinball done!!
Yes Chaps offense was as bad as Chamblin's defense.

Stevoman
11-30-2019, 02:50 AM
As posted in the other thread about Wilder but he has some harsh criticism for the Argos coaching staff:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5eeo43XNr0

paulwoods13
11-30-2019, 07:42 AM
https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/11/29/pull-together-vision/

Will
11-30-2019, 11:09 AM
https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/11/29/pull-together-vision/

I wonder how they got the clip of Matt Dunigan throwing to Pinball in the 1991 Eastern Final :D, although I was able to get a full copy of that game through another source.

Ron
12-01-2019, 02:39 AM
I'm waiting for the big announcement that Orlando Steinaeur (sp) is coaching the Ticats next season. No wait? There's no announcement because he's under contract and hasn't been fired ... so no reason to make such a silly announcement. (Much to the chagrin of the rabid small part of the fanbase that want him run out of town)

Pinball is back. I won't be crapping all over the first things he does ... or doesn't do. The Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.

Argo57
12-01-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm waiting for the big announcement that Orlando Steinaeur (sp) is coaching the Ticats next season. No wait? There's no announcement because he's under contract and hasn't been fired ... so no reason to make such a silly announcement. (Much to the chagrin of the rabid small part of the fanbase that want him run out of town)

Pinball is back. I won't be crapping all over the first things he does ... or doesn't do. The Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.

Did you watch the Grey Cup?
Surprised Steinauer still has a job after Hamilton’s performance.😛

gilthethrill
12-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Did you watch the Grey Cup?
Surprised Steinauer still has a job after Hamilton’s performance.

Comparing the job status of a HC of a 4-14 team to a HC of a 15-3 team seems odd. There is strong speculation that CC could get let go. The Argos will confirm if indeed he returns in 2020 or is relieved of his duties.

Argo57
12-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Comparing the job status of a HC of a 4-14 team to a HC of a 15-3 team seems odd. There is strong speculation that CC could get let go. The Argos will confirm if indeed he returns in 2020 or is relieved of his duties.

Agree with you.
What is odd is questioning (trolling) a fan base that has the nerve to want a coach removed after such a miserable season in which the team was often ill prepared and ended up 4-14.

AngeloV
12-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Bombers ended up lucky they didn't listen to the fans about O'Shea early in his tenure.

Difference being O’Shea was a first time head coach who improved year after year. Chamblin seemed to have peeked as a head coach really early and has regressed every year he’s has been one since.

paulwoods13
12-01-2019, 01:26 PM
One of the reasons CC might be retained is mgmt. might believe he was hamstrung by too many responsibilities this year as both HC and DC. In theory, give him a DC and allow him to concentrate on head coaching and he might be fine.

But . . .

A head coach (who is not also a coordinator) has the following responsibilities:

1. Select the right coordinators and other assistants, and let them do their jobs
2. Select the right players (from whatever players the GM provides) and let them do their jobs
3. Sign off on game plans developed by the coordinators
4. Motivate the team and keep everyone pulling in the same direction throughout the long season and during games
5. During games, make decisions on (a) penalties, (b) challenges, (c) third-down gambles, (d) use of time-outs

There are no doubt other aspects to the job, but those seem to be the main ones. Granted it might be difficult to properly evaluate CC since he was also the DC, but IMO he did well only on No. 4 -- keeping the team motivated and together. He was abysmal on in-game decision-making, his choice of coordinators was poor, his deployment of personnel was often questionable (e.g. going back to Franklin, keeping Kanneh, Covington and others in the defence, starting the season with Poop at DT and Wild at OLB) and the game planning was terrible for most of the season altho it seemed to get better over the final six to eight games.

I just don't see a good case to retain him. If he's retained primarily because he has built an alliance with Murphy, and Pinball hasn't yet been failed by him, that's a recipe for failure IMO.

Argo57
12-01-2019, 01:46 PM
One of the reasons CC might be retained is mgmt. might believe he was hamstrung by too many responsibilities this year as both HC and DC. In theory, give him a DC and allow him to concentrate on head coaching and he might be fine.

But . . .

A head coach (who is not also a coordinator) has the following responsibilities:

1. Select the right coordinators and other assistants, and let them do their jobs
2. Select the right players (from whatever players the GM provides) and let them do their jobs
3. Sign off on game plans developed by the coordinators
4. Motivate the team and keep everyone pulling in the same direction throughout the long season and during games
5. During games, make decisions on (a) penalties, (b) challenges, (c) third-down gambles, (d) use of time-outs

There are no doubt other aspects to the job, but those seem to be the main ones. Granted it might be difficult to properly evaluate CC since he was also the DC, but IMO he did well only on No. 4 -- keeping the team motivated and together. He was abysmal on in-game decision-making, his choice of coordinators was poor, his deployment of personnel was often questionable (e.g. going back to Franklin, keeping Kanneh, Covington and others in the defence, starting the season with Poop at DT and Wild at OLB) and the game planning was terrible for most of the season altho it seemed to get better over the final six to eight games.

I just don't see a good case to retain him. If he's retained primarily because he has built an alliance with Murphy, and Pinball hasn't yet been failed by him, that's a recipe for failure IMO.

There really is no case to retain Chamblin.
The whole Pinball hasn’t been failed by him premise is a load of crap IMO since Clemons was up close and personal in witnessing the 2019 debacle which most importantly failed the Toronto Argonauts and their fans.

1971GreyCup
12-01-2019, 03:45 PM
I suspect that prior to being hired, “Pinball” must have made his vision of the 2020 Argos season. I can’t see that that case included a “status” quo proposal for next year.

Also, the Argos decision comes after the in-season dismantling of much of the Montreal Alouettes management. The Als carried out a very successful restructure improved on field performance and ticket sales at the same time.

Like mentioned here, season ticket sales have to start soon. An announcement should be expected soon.

I saw that Mike O’Shea is highly expected to sign with the Blue Bombers. He also was highly expected to sign with the Ticats years ago. I am sure he knows how much he is wanted here.

AngeloV
12-02-2019, 10:48 AM
I saw that Mike O’Shea is highly expected to sign with the Blue Bombers. He also was highly expected to sign with the Ticats years ago. I am sure he knows how much he is wanted here.

Dec 31 is the date his contract expires. He and Walters can say all the right things about wanting to stay/wanting him back, but if that Dec 31 day approaches, and he is still unsigned, I suspect O'Shea will explore all options available. To me, the fact that they let him go into the season without an extension is a bit of a slap in the face. Successful coaches are rarely put into this situation.

paulwoods13
12-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Dec 31 is the date his contract expires. He and Walters can say all the right things about wanting to stay/wanting him back, but if that Dec 31 day approaches, and he is still unsigned, I suspect O'Shea will explore all options available. To me, the fact that they let him go into the season without an extension is a bit of a slap in the face. Successful coaches are rarely put into this situation.

MOS is coming out of this way ahead, that's for sure. Winning the Grey Cup while working without the safety net of a contract beyond 2019 means he has set himself up for a very healthy pay increase and/or a nice long-term guaranteed contract. I still don't see him leaving Wpg but I guess we'll know in the next few weeks.

argotom
12-02-2019, 03:59 PM
It's official as one of the HC dominos has fallen, Campbell to BC.
Meanwhile here in TO, another day and more crickets............?

R.J
12-02-2019, 06:07 PM
At this point, I think it's just easier to accept that Chamblin is sticking around. I'll also add in that since Bell/Tanenbaum and later MLSE have become involved, everything they announce is always delayed. Trestman's firing literally being the only exception.

doubleblue
12-02-2019, 08:12 PM

I still think O'Shea is coming to Toronto. Even more so after watching his "press conference" last week.

AngeloV
12-02-2019, 09:41 PM
I still think O'Shea is coming to Toronto. Even more so after watching his "press conference" last week.

I'm in the same boat here.

Jon Gonzo
12-03-2019, 11:01 AM

I am convinced that O'Shea is the Argos #1 target, or they would have simply announced the return of Chamblin by now.
Chamblin is probably the 2nd choice & we may even see him back as a DCO, should he change his mind and decide to work under MOS.
That would be ideal, but CC probably won't accept much of a pay cut. The Argos do have an Coaching exception card they can play in all this, if I understand this right.

ArgoGabe22
12-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Argos don’t have to announce the return of Chamblin. He’s the coach until announced he’s been relieved of his duties

AngeloV
12-03-2019, 12:02 PM
The Argos do have an Coaching exception card they can play in all this, if I understand this right.

That is correct, because they fired Trestman prior to the coaches cap officially being implemented by the league.

R.J
12-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Could be I suppose. And I'd be willing to bet that the team is more than well aware keeping Chamblin around will be a hard sell to the fan base (Pinball or no Pinball). So, it could be a Chamblin or O'Shea thing, where the team is just waiting for O'Shea to tell Winnipeg that he's not coming back, then Toronto signs him and gives the boot to Chamblin. Although, if O'Shea decides to stay in Winnipeg, Chamblin goes nowhere.

What's concerning for me is if Chamblin stays, it sounds as though Pinball and Murphy will hire his Co-ordinators. I don't see Chamblin working out long term with someone who could be his potential replacement. He's essentially a lame duck coach, so why not just rip off the band aid now and get it over with, instead of wasting time ?

Ron
12-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Agree with you.
What is odd is questioning (trolling) a fan base that has the nerve to want a coach removed after such a miserable season in which the team was often ill prepared and ended up 4-14.

Trolling? I now know that only one line of thinking is allowed otherwise your labeled here. I have a suggestion where you can stick your trolling remark.

Many here want CC gone. I offered the response that he's not going going anywhere and so far that is being shown as fact. And I still think he's staying since IMO Pinball would not drag out firing someone. (based on his past shown history) What I "want" is irrelevant!!!!

enjoy 2020

ArgoZ
12-04-2019, 01:18 AM
What's concerning for me is if Chamblin stays, it sounds as though Pinball and Murphy will hire his Co-ordinators. I don't see Chamblin working out long term with someone who could be his potential replacement. He's essentially a lame duck coach, so why not just rip off the band aid now and get it over with, instead of wasting time ?

What a scary but plausible scenario. I already know the outcome. After we go 0-6 or 1-8, I can see Pinball stepping in after relieving Chamblin. A wasted start and everyone’s time. The team will rally behind Pinball and pull off a few wins, but will already be in to big of a hole to make the playoffs.
:ohno:

paulwoods13
12-04-2019, 07:04 AM
Trolling? I now know that only one line of thinking is allowed otherwise your labeled here. I have a suggestion where you can stick your trolling remark.

Many here want CC gone. I offered the response that he's not going going anywhere and so far that is being shown as fact. And I still think he's staying since IMO Pinball would not drag out firing someone. (based on his past shown history) What I "want" is irrelevant!!!!

enjoy 2020

Definitely not trolling, Ron.

While I don't agree with your reasoning that Pinball will keep him because he hasn't failed Pinball, I do agree that CC is almost certainly going to be the head coach at the start of the 2020 season. It's unlikely he would be fired this late in the process. IMO there's no reason to think MOS is leaving Wpg, and there is no other Hail Mary coach on the horizon -- unless Pinball can somehow persuade Flutie to come in, which is highly unlikely.

I believe Manning wants to see what Chamblin can do if he's not burdened with being DC as well as HC. I don't agree that will make enough of a difference, and like others I'm worried about wasting part or all of the season trying to turn Chamblin into a viable head coach. But at this point I've come to accept that this is the likeliest scenario, and hoping that if and when it comes to fruition, my judgment about CC turns out to be wrong.

Argo57
12-04-2019, 07:15 PM

enjoy 2020

Fair enough Ron, I don’t think anyone in their right mind wants Chamblin back after such a miserable 2019 season.
And yes I will enjoy the 2020 season👍

Argo57
12-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Definitely not trolling, Ron.

While I don't agree with your reasoning that Pinball will keep him because he hasn't failed Pinball, I do agree that CC is almost certainly going to be the head coach at the start of the 2020 season. It's unlikely he would be fired this late in the process. IMO there's no reason to think MOS is leaving Wpg, and there is no other Hail Mary coach on the horizon -- unless Pinball can somehow persuade Flutie to come in, which is highly unlikely.

I believe Manning wants to see what Chamblin can do if he's not burdened with being DC as well as HC. I don't agree that will make enough of a difference, and like others I'm worried about wasting part or all of the season trying to turn Chamblin into a viable head coach. But at this point I've come to accept that this is the likeliest scenario, and hoping that if and when it comes to fruition, my judgment about CC turns out to be wrong.

Argos can’t afford to waste time experimenting with Chamblin in 2020, this organization needs to get things turned around ASAP!

OV Argo
12-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Argos can’t afford to waste time experimenting with Chamblin in 2020, this organization needs to get things turned around ASAP!

Agreed - big-time !!!

I wouldn't mind Pinball as HC - as a leader & motivator - surrounded by good X & O guys at OC & DC- lots of candidates there i suppose (but likely will be recycled CFL types): Stef Ptaszek as OC & Leroy Blugh as DC would be good ones IMO = extensive Canadian football resumes including some HC experience - with either groomed as future HC candidate.

Argo57
12-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Agreed - big-time !!!

I wouldn't mind Pinball as HC - as a leader & motivator - surrounded by good X & O guys at OC & DC- lots of candidates there i suppose (but likely will be recycled CFL types): Stef Ptaszek as OC & Leroy Blugh as DC would be good ones IMO = extensive Canadian football resumes including some HC experience - with either groomed as future HC candidate.

Another thing to consider OV, is Toronto a desirable destination for any prospective coordinator with Chamblin in charge?

paulwoods13
12-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Another thing to consider OV, is Toronto a desirable destination for any prospective coordinator with Chamblin in charge?

For an assistant wanting to move up quickly to head coach, Toronto could be a very desirable destination.

Argo57
12-04-2019, 08:02 PM
For an assistant wanting to move up quickly to head coach, Toronto could be a very desirable destination.

Sounds like a recipe for success, wait for the lame duck HC to get fired to advance your career (could get toxic).
Hire the best HC candidate available and let him build his staff from there, as I said no time to waste here.

jerrym
12-04-2019, 11:37 PM

I am convinced that O'Shea is the Argos #1 target, or they would have simply announced the return of Chamblin by now.
Chamblin is probably the 2nd choice & we may even see him back as a DCO, should he change his mind and decide to work under MOS.
That would be ideal, but CC probably won't accept much of a pay cut. The Argos do have an Coaching exception card they can play in all this, if I understand this right.

O'Shea says the odds are "pretty high" he is staying in Winnipeg, according to CBC. He's pretty much a straight shooter so I think it's unlikely he is coming here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pretty-high-chance-oshea-resigns-with-blue-bombers-1.5379021

argolio
12-04-2019, 11:53 PM
That story is now five days old. 27 days until his contract expires.

AngeloV
12-05-2019, 12:32 PM
That story is now five days old. 27 days until his contract expires.

Tick Tock

Antwon
12-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Management might be doing things as we speak but out of the media. But not sure how that would work. If they had serious interest in O'Shea they should have asked for permission to speak to him. Which would get out.
Or else they're waiting for all the other teams to set their coaching staffs, then pick over what's left.

Joe Barnes
12-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Or else they're waiting for all the other teams to set their coaching staffs, then pick over what's left.

Egad...No!

Joe Barnes
12-05-2019, 08:10 PM
I received an e-mail from the team this evening (I'm sure we all did) saying that early-bird renewals begin next week, and that more details are coming in an e-mail on Tuesday. Some news to be announced on Monday, perhaps?

Will
12-06-2019, 11:50 AM
I received an e-mail from the team this evening (I'm sure we all did) saying that early-bird renewals begin next week, and that more details are coming in an e-mail on Tuesday. Some news to be announced on Monday, perhaps?

At this point, I would assume this to be related price points, etc.

gilthethrill
12-06-2019, 01:19 PM
According to 3Downnation, the CFLs Toronto Argonauts franchise will not be retaining OC Jacques Chapdelaine. His successor was not immediately named.

paulwoods13
12-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Get ready for Damon Allen.

gilthethrill
12-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Get ready for CC as 2020 HC of the Argos.

paulwoods13
12-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Get ready for CC as 2020 HC of the Argos.

I've been ready for that since about Nov. 27. With no announcement forthcoming after GC, it seemed/seems inevitable.

gilthethrill
12-06-2019, 02:59 PM
I've been ready for that since about Nov. 27. With no announcement forthcoming after GC, it seemed/seems inevitable.

Yes you have been....sadly you appear to be correct.

Antwon
12-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Lots of respect for Allen. BUT this will be a major mistake to hand him the OC role. Simply too many qualified candidates out there with experience.

doubleblue
12-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Until Mike O'Shea actually re-signs with Winnipeg I'm believing he comes back to the Argos as HC and ST's coach. Damon Allen OC and QB coach, Stephen McAdoo returns to the Argos as OL Coach and Asst. OC, Mike Eben LB coach, Jordan Younger DB coach. That leaves DC, DL and WR/RB coaches to fill. More thought needed there. Have to look up what ex-Argo GOB's are available.

gilthethrill
12-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Until Mike O'Shea actually re-signs with Winnipeg I'm believing he comes back to the Argos as HC and ST's coach. Damon Allen OC and QB coach, Stephen McAdoo returns to the Argos as OL Coach and Asst. OC, Mike Eben LB coach, Jordan Younger DB coach. That leaves DC, DL and WR/RB coaches to fill. More thought needed there. Have to look up what ex-Argo GOB's are available.

Mike Eben, a former receiver in the Leo Cahil era as LB Coach intrigues me 😁 ( darn spell check). I think others on this forum would like Younger as DC.

AngeloV
12-06-2019, 04:20 PM

If you and I are correct, I think that O'Shea would try and bring his QB coach Buck Pierce with him as the OC. I'm also positive he wouldn't be dumb enough to pull a CC and hire 2 DL coaches with a cap on coaching.

Jon Gonzo
12-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Mike Eben, a former receiver in the Leo Cahil era as LB Coach intrigues me  ( darn spell check). I think others on this forum would like Younger as DC.

Some of those names would be damn fine. Call me a nostalgist but I love me a good GOB coaching staff when it comes to the CFL.

Jon Gonzo
12-06-2019, 04:26 PM
If you and I are correct, I think that O'Shea would try and bring his QB coach Buck Pierce with him as the OC. I'm also positive he wouldn't be dumb enough to pull a CC and hire 2 DL coaches with a cap on coaching.

Yeah, the last position needing two coaches is the D.Line. It was explained to me that one took care of the Tackles and the other took care of the Ends. That's like having an English Teacher with one in charge of the consonants, and the other in charge of the vowels.

ArgoGabe22
12-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the last position needing two coaches is the D.Line. It was explained to me that one took care of the Tackles and the other took care of the Ends. That's like having an English Teacher with one in charge of the consonants, and the other in charge of the vowels.

But did they really coach those two positions? Or was it just their job on paper and CC just wanted both of them on his staff.

doubleblue
12-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Mike Eben, a former receiver in the Leo Cahil era as LB Coach intrigues me  ( darn spell check). I think others on this forum would like Younger as DC.

Ha Ha. Good one. My apologies to Kevin Eiben. GOB senior moment.

paulwoods13
12-06-2019, 04:46 PM
I'm sure that none of us knows how the responsibilities were divided among the position coaches. Having two d-line coaches could either be brilliant or terrible, depending on the qualities of the individuals, the responsibilities and so on. Obviously our d-line was pretty terrible this year but I'm not opposed to two position coaches in principle.

AngeloV
12-06-2019, 07:30 PM
I'm sure that none of us knows how the responsibilities were divided among the position coaches. Having two d-line coaches could either be brilliant or terrible, depending on the qualities of the individuals, the responsibilities and so on. Obviously our d-line was pretty terrible this year but I'm not opposed to two position coaches in principle.

I am opposed to it, because it meant a duo role of HC and DC for CC. Late in year, he was saying that maybe it was too much to be both. Gee, you think?

paulwoods13
12-06-2019, 09:32 PM
I am opposed to it, because it meant a duo role of HC and DC for CC. Late in year, he was saying that maybe it was too much to be both. Gee, you think?

But you could in theory say that about any of the position coaches. And I did say "in principle," not "in practice this year."

Argo57
12-06-2019, 10:59 PM

Two D-Line coaches made little sense especially considering the coaches cap, another curious Chamblin move.

Jon Gonzo
12-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Having 2 D-Line Coaches in the CFL; I'm not certain its ever happened before.

I'm guessing there's a reason.

And as pointed out, even more of a reason with salary cap limitations. I expect that'll be resolved this season.

I haven't witnessed anything that would lead me to believe that Coach Chamblin was capable of re-inventing the wheel, so I'll mark it down as another one of the many mistakes made in 2019. Too many of them came from this staff and if he's coming back, he'll need to be much, much better.

He'll need to set the table carefully and thoughtfully; and delegate effectively, or he'll be setting up his own early demise.

R.J
12-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Two D-Line coaches made little sense especially considering the coaches cap, another curious Chamblin move.
IMO, it makes about as much sense as having an Assistant Special Teams Co-Ordinator when there are only 11 Coaches spots available.

11 is the magic number the BOG's decided upon as it fills all the position coaching and co-ordinator needs - Head Coach, Offensive Co-Ordinator, Offensive Line Coach, Wide Receivers Coach, Running back Coach, Quarterback Coach, Defensive Co-Ordinator, Defensive Line Coach, Linebackers Coach, Defensive Back Coach, Special Team's Co-Ordinator. Team's can obviously go with less coaches, or dual coaches, but it essentially was supposed to rid the staffs of "Quality Control Coaches" and "Special Assistants", which I always thought were jokes.

It still doesn't sit right with me that Chamblin is not only sticking around, but also will have a coaching staff that he most likely doesn't have full say on. Same thing occurred with Mike Babcock and John Hynes, and surprise, both were let go this season. If you don't trust your Coach to competently hire their own Coaching staff, then maybe time to let the Coach go, and find someone you do have faith/trust in (BC Lions seemed to have figured this out).

Argo57
12-07-2019, 12:29 PM
IMO, it makes about as much sense as having an Assistant Special Teams Co-Ordinator when there are only 11 Coaches spots available.

11 is the magic number the BOG's decided upon as it fills all the position coaching and co-ordinator needs - Head Coach, Offensive Co-Ordinator, Offensive Line Coach, Wide Receivers Coach, Running back Coach, Quarterback Coach, Defensive Co-Ordinator, Defensive Line Coach, Linebackers Coach, Defensive Back Coach, Special Team's Co-Ordinator. Team's can obviously go with less coaches, or dual coaches, but it essentially was supposed to rid the staffs of "Quality Control Coaches" and "Special Assistants", which I always thought were jokes.

It still doesn't sit right with me that Chamblin is not only sticking around, but also will have a coaching staff that he most likely doesn't have full say on. Same thing occurred with Mike Babcock and John Hynes, and surprise, both were let go this season. If you don't trust your Coach to competently hire their own Coaching staff, then maybe time to let the Coach go, and find someone you do have faith/trust in (BC Lions seemed to have figured this out).

Well stated and 100% correct.
Lame duck HC working with an “arranged” coaching staff around him sounds dysfunctional to me.

paulwoods13
12-07-2019, 01:25 PM
The football ops cap is a stupid idea and I've gone on record previously as saying MLSE could (and IMO should) ignore it and dare the league to take sanctions.

However, even if 11 is the maximum number of coaches allowed, there's nothing requiring that each position group have its own coach, or that a team have three traditional coordinators, among the 11. A team could opt for a passing-game coordinator and a running-game coordinator, a pass-defence and a run-defence coordinator, a kicking coordinator and a kick-return coordinator, etc. If it works, great. If not, whomever made that choice can face the consequences.

And having said all that, I still believe a case can be made that the responsibilities of DEs and DTs are different enough that it might make sense for them to have separate coaches. (Could also say the same, potentially, for DHBs and CBs.) Did we see any evidence that having two d-line coaches brought value this year? No. Does that mean it was without question a stupid idea? No.

Jon Gonzo
12-07-2019, 03:16 PM
The football ops cap is a stupid idea and I've gone on record previously as saying MLSE could (and IMO should) ignore it and dare the league to take sanctions.

However, even if 11 is the maximum number of coaches allowed, there's nothing requiring that each position group have its own coach, or that a team have three traditional coordinators, among the 11. A team could opt for a passing-game coordinator and a running-game coordinator, a pass-defence and a run-defence coordinator, a kicking coordinator and a kick-return coordinator, etc. If it works, great. If not, whomever made that choice can face the consequences.

And having said all that, I still believe a case can be made that the responsibilities of DEs and DTs are different enough that it might make sense for them to have separate coaches. (Could also say the same, potentially, for DHBs and CBs.) Did we see any evidence that having two d-line coaches brought value this year? No. Does that mean it was without question a stupid idea? No.

They had to make an in-season adjustment getting rid of one coach (Wendell Avery) to bring in another (Jonathan Crompton). They didn't have a QB Coach, but they had two D-Line Coaches and a Head Coach who was a DC. Then they went without a Receiver Coach and stayed with 2 DLine Coaches; probably the first team to ever do that in the CFL in the first place.

Thinking outside the box, or blockheaded?

Based on the results, I stick with the latter.

Argo57
12-07-2019, 03:29 PM
They had to make an in-season adjustment getting rid of one coach (Wendell Avery) to bring in another (Jonathan Crompton). They didn't have a QB Coach, but they had to D-Line Coaches and a Head Coach who was a DC. Then they went without a Receiver Coach and stayed with 2 DLine Coaches; probably the first team to ever do that in the CFL in the first place.

Bad deployment of coaching resources at the very least Gonzo, still can’t believe the HC appears to be returning.

Wobbler
12-07-2019, 04:11 PM
The lack of a receivers' coach doesn't seem to have been a problem. When was the last time the Argos had three 1000-yard receivers?

Jon Gonzo
12-07-2019, 04:17 PM
The lack of a receivers' coach doesn't seem to have been a problem. When was the last time the Argos had three 1000-yard receivers?

yes Chappy coached em

Mike Hogan
12-07-2019, 06:10 PM

2005. Tony Miles, Arland Bruce, Robert Baker.

Nob
12-07-2019, 06:37 PM
annnnnd now LaPo is off to Ottawa, but it’s ok - we still have Chamblin..........

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how/why Chamblin will be back, in any capacity. His HC decisions were horrific, and the defense, which he was in control of, was gawdawful.

I guess I will have to be patient to see how this unfolds, but it’s been several weeks since the Argos’ season ended, and a few since the Grey Cup. It appears more and more as if there will be no substantive changes to the coaching staff. For a team that has only won 8 games total (thank you 2019 Ottawa Red Blacks for helping inflate that number), in the last two seasons, they have not shown any immediate needs of promise.

Again, we are 6 months until June, but we’ve endured two seasons of brutal football. They need to start winning back fans now.

gilthethrill
12-07-2019, 07:03 PM
They had to make an in-season adjustment getting rid of one coach (Wendell Avery) to bring in another (Jonathan Crompton). They didn't have a QB Coach, but they had two D-Line Coaches and a Head Coach who was a DC. Then they went without a Receiver Coach and stayed with 2 DLine Coaches; probably the first team to ever do that in the CFL in the first place.

Ok, so Wendel Avery gets fired mid season by the Argos....does he not still get paid until his contract expires at seasons end?

Bleeds Double Blue
12-07-2019, 09:42 PM
I feel your pain Nob. Another coaching domino falls and we still have Chamblin. I think I'm going to cry.

OV Argo
12-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Be interestin to see how Lapo does in Ottawa - so little on offence, other than a few pieces - Sinopoli; pretty good interior O-line; Crockett showed some stuff at RB; not to mention a very ordinary D with not much top notch talent, IMO.

Needs to find a QB and some receivers to be able to win there; be interesting to see if he runs the same style offence - with some diverse run game - by CFL standards; wonder if he would look to a change of pace running QB like he had in Strevler - could draft Nathan Rourke, but good ole Desjardins is probably frightened by the notion of a Canadian QB - so he can deploy a stiff like Dom Davis instead.

We shall see if Lapo is this CFL offensive genius like some seem to think he is - maybe he can trade for Andrew Harris to have an all-time great RB at his disposal; or maybe he gets Collaros É Outside of coming up with a proven, competent QB - i would bet on Ottawa being sub 500 again. Desjardins as GM = a handicap who will trot out all sorts of new, not good enough import players (nice resumes though) and have no clue in the draft or having NI players given a shot at key positions.

Wobbler
12-08-2019, 12:46 AM
2005. Tony Miles, Arland Bruce, Robert Baker.
Thanks Hogie. :)

argotom
12-08-2019, 05:02 PM
annnnnd now LaPo is off to Ottawa, but it’s ok - we still have Chamblin..........

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how/why Chamblin will be back, in any capacity. His HC decisions were horrific, and the defense, which he was in control of, was gawdawful.

I guess I will have to be patient to see how this unfolds, but it’s been several weeks since the Argos’ season ended, and a few since the Grey Cup. It appears more and more as if there will be no substantive changes to the coaching staff. For a team that has only won 8 games total (thank you 2019 Ottawa Red Blacks for helping inflate that number), in the last two seasons, they have not shown any immediate needs of promise.

Again, we are 6 months until June, but we’ve endured two seasons of brutal football. They need to start winning back fans now.

I am with you, as the second domino has fallen and still........crickets here.
This was a great hire for the RB.
I am envious as I was hoping that the Argos would hire Lapo as he man has proven to be the offensive mastermind and frankly visionary in the the multi QB system.
It would not surprise me if he takes one or even two QB's from the FA BB roster.
Why not take Zach and Streveler and continue with the same success?

paulwoods13
12-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Naylor is reporting that the review continues:

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/status/1204040369790476290

And Lalji is reporting that Argos have spoken to Ryan Dinwiddie:

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1204096588555177984

My best guess is that CC is coming back as HC, with Dinwiddie or someone else as OC. But who knows? I have to say I'm oddly pleased by the lack of leakage from the Argos through this process. I'd far rather have interviews and so on take place without outsiders knowing about it until decisions have been made.

AngeloV
12-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Naylor is reporting that the review continues:

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/status/1204040369790476290

And Lalji is reporting that Argos have spoken to Ryan Dinwiddie:

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1204096588555177984

My best guess is that CC is coming back as HC, with Dinwiddie or someone else as OC. But who knows? I have to say I'm oddly pleased by the lack of leakage from the Argos through this process. I'd far rather have interviews and so on take place without outsiders knowing about it until decisions have been made.

Guaranteed they are waiting to see if Mike O'Shea hits the free agent Market on Jan 1. As has been my position for a while, the fact that O'Shea went through this season as a lame duck coach is curious to say the least.

paulwoods13
12-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Is the team really prepared to let this drag on to January? How can they sell season's tix without any indication of who the coach will be? The Lalji tweet suggests Argos discussed more than one option with Dinwiddie, which I took to mean he might be brought in as either an OC or a HC. I guess we will start finding out tomorrow when the ticket campaign launches. It sure would be nice to have the HC decision settled.

AngeloV
12-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Is the team really prepared to let this drag on to January? How can they sell season's tix without any indication of who the coach will be?.

I will argue that announcing a returning CC as coach would put them further behind in renewals than waiting to see what happens with MOS’s status. Who knows, maybe MOS is not having a great negotiation and the Argos will ask for permission to talk to him.

Argo57
12-09-2019, 08:08 PM
I will argue that announcing a returning CC as coach would put them further behind in renewals than waiting to see what happens with MOS’s status. Who knows, maybe MOS is not having a great negotiation and the Argos will ask for permission to talk to him.

This makes sense, I don’t sense much of an appetite for Chamblin to return in any capacity TBH.
Interesting that the Argos have discussed different scenarios with Ryan Dinwiddie, HC perhaps, OC or OC and Assistant HC (the latter 2 more likely).

jerrym
12-10-2019, 12:30 AM
Farhan Lalji says Ryan Dinwiddie is being interviewed for a variety of jobs while David Naylor says Pinball is evaluating all aspects of football operations, including HC and staff.

paulwoods13
12-10-2019, 08:09 AM
I will argue that announcing a returning CC as coach would put them further behind in renewals than waiting to see what happens with MOS’s status.

It's hard to argue with that. But . . . what if they wait on MOS and then don't get him? What's the fallback position? Bringing back Chamblin but not announcing it until January would be a clear indicator that they had hoped to fire him, but failed to find the replacement they had in mind. Completely untenable for everyone -- fans and even CC himself. If they really are going after O'Shea, they should cut the ties to Chamblin completely, and have a viable backup plan in case O'Shea opts to stay in Wpg.

paulwoods13
12-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Farhan Lalji says Ryan Dinwiddie is being interviewed for a variety of jobs while David Naylor says Pinball is evaluating all aspects of football operations, including HC and staff.

As noted a few posts earlier in the thread.

AngeloV
12-10-2019, 09:31 AM
It's hard to argue with that. But . . . what if they wait on MOS and then don't get him? What's the fallback position? Bringing back Chamblin but not announcing it until January would be a clear indicator that they had hoped to fire him, but failed to find the replacement they had in mind. Completely untenable for everyone -- fans and even CC himself. If they really are going after O'Shea, they should cut the ties to Chamblin completely, and have a viable backup plan in case O'Shea opts to stay in Wpg.

I think they will cut ties with CC, and the truth is, they are under no obligation to do it early, as they will be paying him regardless of the decision this year (good thing 2021 is a club option on his contract). I think Dinwiddie will be a fall back plan here if MOS re-signs in the Peg (which I truly believe will not happen).

Jon Gonzo
12-10-2019, 10:40 AM
I think they will cut ties with CC, and the truth is, they are under no obligation to do it early, as they will be paying him regardless of the decision this year (good thing 2021 is a club option on his contract). I think Dinwiddie will be a fall back plan here if MOS re-signs in the Peg (which I truly believe will not happen).

Agreed. Quiet in both Toronto and Winnipeg. When it comes to business, Pinball and Osh are very quiet people. But I still hear the 'quiet.'

paulwoods13
12-10-2019, 11:03 AM
As long as no announcement is made, it will appear that Chamblin could return. If they've decided he's not returning, the smart play would be to announce it. Even his departure without a replacement would be better for generating fan support and ticket sales.

Jon Gonzo
12-10-2019, 11:15 AM
As long as no announcement is made, it will appear that Chamblin could return. If they've decided he's not returning, the smart play would be to announce it. Even his departure without a replacement would be better for generating fan support and ticket sales.

He sure could be. But that it hasn't been announced tells us something also. It tells me that Pinner wants Osh

AngeloV
12-10-2019, 11:34 AM
He sure could be. But that it hasn't been announced tells us something also. It tells me that Pinner wants Osh

My feelings exactly.

doubleblue
12-10-2019, 11:40 AM
It does appear that all signs are pointing to CC being back to start the 2020 season. Someone said in one of the previous posts that if things don't improve early in the 2020 schedule Pinball would take over and finish the year. Could be.
The fact they are interviewing Dinwiddie for probably the OC job to me points to CC staying. O'Shea or another HC would want to choose their own OC I would think.
It will be also difficult to hire good assistants when they know that CC is basically on a one year or less contract. We will end up with the left overs like last year.
The only other scenario I can think of is Pinball has somebody presently in the NFL in mind and is waiting for their season to end. Who's all down there with CFL experience? Scott Milanovich, Chris "Ego" Jones, Danny Barrett come to mind.

Antwon
12-10-2019, 01:00 PM
It does appear that all signs are pointing to CC being back to start the 2020 season. Someone said in one of the previous posts that if things don't improve early in the 2020 schedule Pinball would take over and finish the year. Could be.
The fact they are interviewing Dinwiddie for probably the OC job to me points to CC staying. O'Shea or another HC would want to choose their own OC I would think.
It will be also difficult to hire good assistants when they know that CC is basically on a one year or less contract. We will end up with the left overs like last year.
The only other scenario I can think of is Pinball has somebody presently in the NFL in mind and is waiting for their season to end. Who's all down there with CFL experience? Scott Milanovich, Chris "Ego" Jones, Danny Barrett come to mind.

Going forward with CC as head coach and Pinball stepping in if things start badly would be a very bad plan. Especially in this market. Unless Dinnwiddie is brought in a OC with the HC a potential down the road.
As for O'Shea, I would think if negotiations were not going well, Winnipeg would want Lapolice as the next HC.

paulwoods13
12-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Again, that may be true. But wanting him and getting him are not the same thing, and IMO it is essential that they have a viable backup plan. IMO bringing back Chamblin cannot and should not be the backup plan, but the fact he has not been relieved of his duties leaves me seriously worried that he is the backup plan at this point.

It would not be any smarter to put all our eggs in the O'Shea basket than it was to go all in on Bo Levi last Feb. If your plans are dependent on others outside your control, there is huge risk.

Rich
12-10-2019, 02:39 PM
I think Pinball is giving Chamblin the opportunity to look for other jobs, while at the same time keeping the door open for CC to change his mind and accept the DC job. If you fire a guy, he's not going to come crawling back for a demotion, but if you keep him in the system it's a lot less degrading to "take another job" with the team.

paulwoods13
12-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Is the team really prepared to let this drag on to January? How can they sell season's tix without any indication of who the coach will be? The Lalji tweet suggests Argos discussed more than one option with Dinwiddie, which I took to mean he might be brought in as either an OC or a HC. I guess we will start finding out tomorrow when the ticket campaign launches. It sure would be nice to have the HC decision settled.

OK, no new info about this -- they obviously have decided that having uncertainty at HC (and QB) is not incompatible with selling tickets, which I assume means we may not get clarity on the former any time soon. I will be renewing regardless.

Jon Gonzo
12-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Again, that may be true. But wanting him and getting him are not the same thing, and IMO it is essential that they have a viable backup plan. IMO bringing back Chamblin cannot and should not be the backup plan, but the fact he has not been relieved of his duties leaves me seriously worried that he is the backup plan at this point.

It would not be any smarter to put all our eggs in the O'Shea basket than it was to go all in on Bo Levi last Feb. If your plans are dependent on others outside your control, there is huge risk.

Of course. I'd be very, very worried if this management group didn't have Plan A, B, C and D.

I am comfortable that they do, and I think (just a hunch) that a big red-headed tough guy from North Bay is behind Door A.

Doesn't mean they get choice 1, for sure.

Argo57
12-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Not sure what their plan is at this point, I don’t think O’Shea is coming TBH.
If they were holding out for O’Shea and he stays in Winnipeg they have successfully let some viable candidates go elsewhere.
Chamblin returning in any capacity doesn’t excite me in the least.

doubleblue
12-10-2019, 08:49 PM
The only other scenario I can think of is Pinball has somebody presently in the NFL in mind and is waiting for their season to end. Who's all down there with CFL experience? Scott Milanovich, Chris "Ego" Jones, Danny Barrett come to mind.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Marcus Brady down there with as the Colts QB Coach. Maybe he is interested in coming back to be the HC. Got to be some reason for this delay.

Skinny G
12-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Dinwiddie on his way to the Argos?

#Stampeders (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stampeders?src=hash) promote Delmonaco to OC. Expecting to lose Dinwiddie to another team. @CFLonTSN (https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN) #Argos (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1204884068631887872

Skinny G
12-11-2019, 11:01 PM
To take this a bit further... Davis Sanchez thinks Dinwiddie may be our new HC

"We're feeling like that's something that's possibly going to happen pretty quickly. There's rumours & leans that tell us Ryan Dinwiddie has a good chance to become the next Head Coach of the #Argos." - @DavisSanchez #CFL #Stamps via The Waggle @CFL

https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1204972201713139712

West Hill Wide Out
12-12-2019, 04:03 PM
I'm glad the Argonauts are taking their time on this crucial decision for HC. Multiple candidates, with multiple related scenarios such as assistants and possible QBs must be sorted. Diligence, patience and good planning will produce a better team. Dinwiddie as HC, with a strong DC like Claybrooks would put a new, and younger face on the team, maybe even create some excitement, especially if they want to build a younger and more diverse fanbase.

AngeloV
12-12-2019, 04:09 PM
I'm glad the Argonauts are taking their time on this crucial decision for HC. Multiple candidates, with multiple related scenarios such as assistants and possible QBs must be sorted. Diligence, patience and good planning will produce a better team. Dinwiddie as HC, with a strong DC like Claybrooks would put a new, and younger face on the team, maybe even create some excitement, especially if they want to build a younger and more diverse fanbase.

Although, I still believe the O-Shea to Toronto move will happen, I would be OK with this as a secondary choice. They have to move on from last year's entire staff of HC and Coordinators. I would hope there would still be a spot for Kevin Eiben though. I thought the LB's which were his group did all right.

EDIT: Justin Dunk is reporting the Argos have relieved Chamblin of his duties and have hired Dinwiddie.

Mightygoose
12-12-2019, 04:19 PM
https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1205233986290634753

I know this is from 3down so I take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Didn't see post above. Was Naylor off on his tweet a few weeks ago?

AngeloV
12-12-2019, 04:21 PM
https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1205233986290634753

I know this is from 3down so I take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Didn't see post above. Was Naylor off on his tweet a few weeks ago?

Dunk is pretty reliable. No one else there is, but Dunk is.

Mightygoose
12-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Dunk is pretty reliable. No one else there is, but Dunk is.

Naylor just confirmed this too so it's legit alright.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/status/1205235000989437955?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1205235000989437955&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2 Ftwitter.min.html%231205235000989437955

<msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">No noise </msreadoutspan><msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">beforehand</msreadoutspan><msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">....just execute when <msreadoutspan class="msreadout-word-highlight">ready</msreadoutspan>.</msreadoutspan>

AngeloV
12-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Naylor just confirmed this too so it's legit alright.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/status/1205235000989437955?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1205235000989437955&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2 Ftwitter.min.html%231205235000989437955

<msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">No noise </msreadoutspan><msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">beforehand</msreadoutspan><msreadoutspan class="msreadout-line-highlight">....just execute when <msreadoutspan class="msreadout-word-highlight">ready</msreadoutspan>.</msreadoutspan>

I think they handled this really well. No leaks, no pressure, just went about their business.

Skinny G
12-12-2019, 04:36 PM
To take this a bit further... Davis Sanchez thinks Dinwiddie may be our new HC

"We're feeling like that's something that's possibly going to happen pretty quickly. There's rumours & leans that tell us Ryan Dinwiddie has a good chance to become the next Head Coach of the #Argos." - @DavisSanchez #CFL #Stamps via The Waggle @CFL

https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1204972201713139712

Looks like Sanchez had this right a few days ago when he mentioned it on The Waggle...

OV Argo
12-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Dinwiddie has such an extensive football coaching resume. LOL

Scotty M CFL recycled again now too as HC of the Esks = LOL

Rick Campbell, LaPo & Jason (melt-down) Maas CFL re-hired & recycled in no time in the off-season as well.

Should be a real interesting, innovative, all kinds of new stuff CFL season coming up. LOL ;o)

Skinny G
12-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Looks like we'll know the coaching soon as well...

Ryan Dinwiddie flew to Toronto on Monday and he’s finalized a coaching staff with the double blue. - @JDunk12 (https://twitter.com/JDunk12) #CFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash) #Argos (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash) #Stamps (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stamps?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1205234348686864384

AngeloV
12-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Rick Campbell, LaPo & Jason (melt-down) Maas CFL re-hired & recycled in no time in the off-season as well.

Should be a real interesting, innovative, all kinds of new stuff CFL season coming up. LOL ;o)

This post seems familiar. Can’t quite put my finger on it though

j-ski
12-12-2019, 05:33 PM

The only hire I'm uncertain of is the Dinwiddie hire. I think all the hires are very good for BC, the Redblacks and the Esks. I hope Dinwiddie surprises everyone, and turns out to be a great first time head coach.

Wobbler
12-12-2019, 05:36 PM
I suspect that Dinwiddie came relatively cheap, which is pretty important if we're going to honour the operations cap. Good luck to him!

ArgoZ
12-12-2019, 05:44 PM

I thought you might be supportive of this one. A young and fresh offensive mind (who was instrumental in developing Arbuckle) instead of the same old recycled “GOB’s” as you call them.

paulwoods13
12-12-2019, 06:11 PM
I thought you might be supportive of this one. A young and fresh offensive mind (who was instrumental in developing Arbuckle) instead of the same old recycled “GOB’s” as you call them.

Live and learn, I guess.

OV Argo
12-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Woulda maybe got my vote as QB coach.

Look for the new-look Argos to kick-a$$, with some real fresh offensive thinking - all kinds of new looks in play-book & calling and roster thinking. We can hope this anyways - PULL TOGETHER !!!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8