PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Grey Cup Game: Hamilton versus Winnipeg, Sunday November 24th

jerrym
11-19-2019, 06:45 PM
The Tiger Cats are the clear favourites based on their domination of the league this year. Anyone think Collaros, Harris, Adams and teammates can pull off a win?

Argo57
11-19-2019, 07:05 PM
The Tiger Cats are the clear favourites based on their domination of the league this year. Anyone think Collaros, Harris, Adams and teammates can pull off a win?

Hamilton should be favoured as they have been the best team all season but expect the unexpected in the CFL.
Winnipeg look like a new team with Collaros in charge of the offence, they also have a very good O-Line and running game which could serve them well if conditions are off in Calgary.

ArgoZ
11-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Toronto beat Calgary in 2017 and absolutely no one gave them a chance. You only need a few plays to go your way. I think it all depends on Hamilton. If they play well, I can see them winning by a large margin.

OV Argo
11-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Ticats need very favorable weather & field conditions that allow for the pass game to go smooth - and even so, they are going with a basically rookie QB, who although has looked fantastic at times, was barely over 50% completions last play-off game; but fortunately for them - they are facing a pretty average to weak Bomber secondary.

The Bummers have potential for a vary strong & diverse run game (Harris is the best RB in the league by a mile IMO, plus Demski is effective when used and Strevler brings another strong dimension); PLUS - Collaros has looked very good with his smart passing and ability to strike deep. Ticats have a very tough D to respond though.

I see a potential very close game here - with weather or field a factor - and maybe special teams (FG kicking and return game) are a big factor too.

I'd bet on the Ticats if forced to (wouldn't give more than 3 points in a spread though(, but would not be at all surprised by a Bummer win - and sort of pulling for O'Shea (one of my all time fave CFL players) to pull it off. But may the best team win - rather than some bad ref calls or real poor weather & field conditions too big a factor.

Ron
11-20-2019, 10:28 AM
A bombers win does 2 things for the Argos.

1. Assures that the longest drought record remains an Argo record
2. Ensures that the arch rival Ticats become the ONLY CFL team to not win a GC this century.

AngeloV
11-20-2019, 10:34 AM

2. Ensures that the arch rival Ticats become the ONLY CFL team to not win a GC this century.

I really would hate to lose this trolling tool. :)

paulwoods13
11-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Just for the record, Ottawa went 40 years between Grey Cups (1976-2016), but had no team for 13 of them. So Toronto's 31-year drought hasn't been surpassed since. However, one could argue that the Saskatchewan Roughriders had a longer drought -- not winning their first until 1966 despite contesting the Grey Cup as far back as 1928.

paulwoods13
11-20-2019, 12:26 PM
I am expecting a Bomber win. Hamilton has a stronger, deeper team but Bombers have some mojo happening and I expect it to continue.

argolio
11-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Would be great to see the Bombers win because of O'Shea and Collaros. On the other hand, it would suck to see a lying drug cheat like Harris get rewarded.

I'm predicting a Ticat victory. They're just more balanced in all three phases.

Bleeds Double Blue
11-21-2019, 10:01 AM
For my 2 cents worth I think this is Hamilton's game to lose and I just threw up a little bit in my mouth thinking it. Go Bombers.

bannedforlife
11-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Anyone think Collaros, Harris, Adams and teammates can pull off a win?I do, the dual QB gimmick really has cured what ailed them. Give Harris the ball early and often and then steady as she goes.

AngeloV
11-21-2019, 04:18 PM
I do, the dual QB gimmick really has cured what ailed them. Give Harris the ball early and often and then steady as she goes.

That gimmick worked against Calgary, but it also allowed Saskatchewan back into the game last week. I would never use it personally, because when Streveler's plays aren't working, you are asking an awful lot of a QB to have to come in on 2nd and long as often as Collaros had to last week. As for Harris, he hasn't been dominant since returning from his league mandated vacation. You might argue, he is due for a big game.

Joe Barnes
11-21-2019, 06:38 PM
I agree that this game is Hamilton's to lose. They are are just too well balanced and, as said, look at all the 2017 Argos on the roster...they've been to the mountain and know what they are in for. Still, I'm hoping the Bombers pull it out. I should be a great game!

Bleeds Double Blue
11-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Congratulations to Chris Van Zeyl for his lineman of the year award. Not bad for a guy that some on here thought was a turnstile.

jerrym
11-23-2019, 03:55 PM

Winnipeg has not won the Grey Cup since 1990. Hamilton has the second longest Grey Cup drought, not having won since 1999. So one of these teams will end their drought, which is good for the league.

jerrym
11-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Here are both team's depth charts and some updates on personnel changes.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
View Depth Chart (https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Depth-Chart-Roster-11-24-19-vs-WPG-GC.pdf)

After missing the Eastern Final, Tyrell Sutton returns as the Ticats’ starting running back for Sunday’s game.
Cameron Marshall has been added to the one-game injured list, meaning he won’t suit up in the Grey Cup.
Marcus Tucker will be the backup to Luke Tasker at slotback, as Jalin Marshall remains on the one-game injured list.
Linebacker and special teamer Nick Shortill and rookie receiver David Ungerer are among those on the one-game injured list, and will not play on Sunday.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
View Depth Chart (https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/GREY-CUP-rosters.pdf)

Jeff Hecht has been added to the Bombers’ roster. The national safety and special-teamer was sidelined for the Western Final.
Despite the return of Hecht, Brandon Alexander remains Winnipeg’s starting safety.
Offensive lineman Geoff Gray will not suit up for Sunday’s matchup. Rookie Drew Desjarlais and Patrick Neufeld will be the starting guards.
Receiver and returner Lucky Whitehead remains on the one-game injured list and will not play in the Grey Cup.
Though he is expected to play, Chris Streveler is listed as the Bombers’ third quarterback behind Zach Collaros and Sean McGuire.
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/23/status-report-bombers-ticats-release-grey-cup-depth-charts/

OV Argo
11-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Here are both team's depth charts and some updates on personnel changes.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/23/status-report-bombers-ticats-release-grey-cup-depth-charts/

A few ex-Argos playing decent roles for the Ticats - Van Zeyl, Wynn, Tuggle, Coombs, LB Cam Newton - who was on the field on their D for a number of plays in the East final.

Ticats pass attack should be glad that Bummers/ Richie Hall are sticking with a stiff like Alexander at safety over vet Hecht who was starting earlier in the season - 7 only need apply.

Love to see a big Bummer hog punk that big-mouth, clown, cheap-shot artist Lawrence - knock him senseless with Collaros getting to kick him in the nuts on the way down.

GO Bombers !!!

doubleblue
11-24-2019, 11:28 AM
A few ex-Argos playing decent roles for the Ticats - Van Zeyl, Wynn, Tuggle, Coombs, LB Cam Newton - who was on the field on their D for a number of plays in the East final.

It's easy for Toronto and Hamilton players to go back and forth because of Geography especially if they have a home in the area. We can't forget Hajrullahu, Addison, Sutton, Brian Jones and Rico Murray as well as several coaches.

The Argos could have used a few of those guys this year for sure. Mostly K Hajrullahu, DT Wynn and LB Murray IMO. Don't know what really happened with Van Zeyl. I thought it must have been his salary and they thought he was past his best before date. But he sure proved them wrong if that was the case. However, Campbell seems to have settled into the RT spot and it should be his for several years barring injury or he leaves as a FA.
Addison, Tuggle and Sutton are good players but it was probably a numbers game in Toronto. Coombs had his moments but he couldn't stay healthy. Jones and Newton are interchangeable backups IMO. The Jim Barker influence is probably showing in some of these ex-Argos being picked up.

Argo57
11-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Questionable personnel decisions by the Argos have helped Hamilton big time.
Van Zeyl was released to avoid paying him a $40,000 bonus paid when he reported to camp and passed his physical.

gilthethrill
11-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Van Zeyl was released to avoid paying him a $40,000 bonus paid when he reported to camp and passed his physical.

That was a stupid move...without a viable replacement....releasing Braylon Addison to make room for Duron Carter didn't exactly pan out for the Argos either.

Argo57
11-24-2019, 02:24 PM
That was a stupid move...without a viable replacement....releasing Braylon Addison to make room for Duron Carter didn't exactly pan out for the Argos either.

If Hamilton wins today Popp they may give Jim Popp a championship ring🤬

ArgoRavi
11-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Van Zeyl played well this season but I have a difficult time buying that he was the best lineman in the league. Also, it isn't like the Argos would have made the playoffs with him this season and his departure eventually opened up a starting spot for Jamal Campbell who should fill that spot for years to come.

Argo57
11-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Van Zeyl played well this season but I have a difficult time buying that he was the best lineman in the league. Also, it isn't like the Argos would have made the playoffs with him this season and his departure eventually opened up a starting spot for Jamal Campbell who should fill that spot for years to come.

Sure and he helped fill a need for Hamilton’s O-Line while also providing veteran leadership.
The loss of one player does not cost a playoff spot but a pattern of poor personnel decisions adds up thus for the second season in a row the Argos failed to qualify for a playoff spot.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Sure and he helped fill a need for Hamilton’s O-Line while also providing veteran leadership.
The loss of one player does not cost a playoff spot but a pattern of poor personnel decisions adds up thus for the second season in a row the Argos failed to qualify for a playoff spot.

Addison's departure is the one that bothers me the most, by far. I don't understand how there was no spot for him in Toronto.

Anyway, Bombers win tonight 28-26.

Argo57
11-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Addison's departure is the one that bothers me the most, by far. I don't understand how there was no spot for him in Toronto.

Anyway, Bombers win tonight 28-26.

Agreed, I think I read somewhere Addison was released to make room for Duron Carter😡
Nice to see you posting again Ravi👍

AngeloV
11-24-2019, 06:43 PM
LOL. Really stupid move to start Alexander over crap player like Hecht. 😂😂😂

jerrym
11-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Love this game. It's highly entertaining and the underdog is winning so far.

bannedforlife
11-24-2019, 09:55 PM
I do, the dual QB gimmick really has cured what ailed them. Give Harris the ball early and often and then steady as she goes.Ahem :) I really don't know why Winnipeg wasn't seen in a better light. Inexperienced QB Evans, Collaros/Streveler>Evans, not exactly rocket surgery.

Shatto
11-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Great game and great result. It raises the question of where does Collaros go next year. Does he get signed by Winnipeg and we get a 1st round draft choice from the Bombers or might he be returning to Toronto? Also raises the question of Masoli---does Hamilton feel Masoli would have given them a better chance of winning and if so, will they make an all out effort to resign him.

Will be an interesting off season.

Argo57
11-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Winnipeg completely dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides tonight and Hamilton had no answers at all.
I wonder if Hamilton was overconfident heading into this game and didn’t know how to handle being smacked around the field all night.
From an Argo perspective good riddance to the 2019 season.

OV Argo
11-24-2019, 11:13 PM
Great win for the Bombers & O'Shea & co.

Dominated both lines of scrimmage - kudos to both lines.

Andrew Harris nails down a spot as one of the best CFL RBs of all-time (IMO)

A vet QB like Collaros easily shows up a young, impressive but inexperienced QB - who was not able to exploit a weak link Bomber secondary (even with a genius OC in Condell LOL) - they can thank this year's Argo "brain-trust" for the gift in the trade - bring back Chamblin !!!

Ticats D was ultra un-impressive - nobody making plays there. Big-mouth Lawrence was next to invisible and useless - like he was when the Riders beat them in a GC.

Congrats to Winnipeg home-town guys Harris & Demski leading the way to a GC win; along with 2 young Canadian O-linemen (Speller and Desjarlais) who are unheard of to a lot of CFL fans - kicking Ticat D-line @rse. Who knew that Canadian players could be key - classy move to let vet Jake Thomas (Acadia) get to hoist the GC first.

Canadian "Mafia" probably bought off the refs for the win though - eh, cry-baby Dickheadson.

# 1990 - still got my Bombers GC players hat from that win - gotta add this year's now.

OV Argo
11-24-2019, 11:18 PM
LOL. Really stupid move to start Alexander over crap player like Hecht. 

Yeah, for sure - Alexander got an easy pick when a Ticat receiver let a pass bounce off his hands; after that, you see this guy was a total force on D for them; LOL

Argos should go after Richie Hall - amongst many CFL GOB recycle / re-use projects - as their next DC / HC

jerrym
11-24-2019, 11:41 PM
It was obvious from the beginning of the game that the Bombers wanted this game more. Harris seemed driven like a madman to overcome the ignominy of his drug suspension. He deserved win both best Canadian and best player awards. Collaros showed he is cool under pressure once again. Streveler drove through defensive linemen even after repeatedly limping off the field. The Winnipeg OL and DL totally dominated their opponents.

"Issues"Mcgee
11-24-2019, 11:49 PM
That was the purest form of schadenfreude injected straight into my veins. Every moment of that game was magical.

Screw you, Hamilton. Screw you.

ArgoZ
11-25-2019, 12:02 AM
How do you rush 3 against 6 and still sack the QB? Winnipeg’s D line was unstoppable tonight. I didn’t not expect such a flat start from Hamilton. They really blew it. Won all the awards, but not the game. Still losers since 99, LOL. This low effort loss is going to hurt the Cats more than we know. I think the Cats will now feel the pressure to offer Masoli good money to stay, while also overpaying to reward Evans success, hurting their salary structure.

AngeloV
11-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Yeah, for sure - Alexander got an easy pick when a Ticat receiver let a pass bounce off his hands; after that, you see this guy was a total force on D for them; LOL

Argos should go after Richie Hall - amongst many CFL GOB recycle / re-use projects - as their next DC / HC

The Bombers secondary was terrible all year until they made the switch at safety. The only same old same old GOB recycle job is reading every one of your posts.

Amazing how you immediately say Ritchie Hall chose to make that move too. Pretty sure a good Canadian in Mike O’Shea determines how he is going to use his 7 non import starters. Yes a Canadian who played USport only starts 7 of them, but I’m sure he’s a brainwashed GOB in your mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
11-25-2019, 09:56 AM
C'mon Issues Mcgee, show a little class. It's "Screw you, Hamilton. Screw you please."

Do or Die
11-25-2019, 02:41 PM
The Bombers secondary was terrible all year until they made the switch at safety. The only same old same old GOB recycle job is reading every one of your posts.

Amazing how you immediately say Ritchie Hall chose to make that move too. Pretty sure a good Canadian in Mike O’Shea determines how he is going to use his 7 non import starters. Yes a Canadian who played USport only starts 7 of them, but I’m sure he’s a brainwashed GOB in your mind.

More to it than that. After the Montreal debacle....changes started to be made in the back. Alexander in at S, Taylor at HB, Marston at OLB and more reps for Mike Jones (who had a great Cup game) as the extra DB.

Teams were eating up the Hall soft zone (especially in the flats) with 3 step drops and dump passes. The revamped back end, allowed Hall to mix in more man D and the extra range and physicality back there....also helped on balls in front of them.

AngeloV
11-25-2019, 03:51 PM
More to it than that. After the Montreal debacle....changes started to be made in the back. Alexander in at S, Taylor at HB, Marston at OLB and more reps for Mike Jones (who had a great Cup game) as the extra DB.

Teams were eating up the Hall soft zone (especially in the flats) with 3 step drops and dump passes. The revamped back end, allowed Hall to mix in more man D and the extra range and physicality back there....also helped on balls in front of them.

I get all that. Hecht IMO is a crappy safety that has absolutely no range, which was the point I was trying to make to the poster that thinks their is a conspiracy against all Canadian players.

Argo57
11-25-2019, 05:00 PM
I get all that. Hecht IMO is a crappy safety that has absolutely no range, which was the point I was trying to make to the poster that thinks their is a conspiracy against all Canadian players.

Your assessment of Hecht is dead on, often beat and out of position.

argolio
11-25-2019, 11:56 PM
After Mike Jones showed he was better than Mike Jones, the Ticats had nothing left. Yardage wise, the teams were only 53 yards apart, but this game was decided by turnovers and physicality. Long day for both Ticat lines. Their o-line got no push on short yardage (sounds familiar), Mathews and Van Zeyl couldn't handle their ends, and their d-line was poor, especially Ted Laurent.

Congrats to the lying drug cheat for stealing Willie Jefferson's and Patrick Neufeld's awards.

Argo57
11-26-2019, 07:07 AM
After Mike Jones showed he was better than Mike Jones, the Ticats had nothing left. Yardage wise, the teams were only 53 yards apart, but this game was decided by turnovers and physicality. Long day for both Ticat lines. Their o-line got no push on short yardage (sounds familiar), Mathews and Van Zeyl couldn't handle their ends, and their d-line was poor, especially Ted Laurent.

Congrats to the lying drug cheat for stealing Willie Jefferson's and Patrick Neufeld's awards.

I suspect Hamilton were a little over confident heading into this game and never recovered from getting smacked around on all sides of the ball.

gilthethrill
11-26-2019, 10:16 AM
I suspect Hamilton were a little over confident heading into this game and never recovered from getting smacked around on all sides of the ball.

With the Winnipeg D Line doing whatever, whenever they wanted, Condell could not execute his game plan. Really enjoyed the lengthy, informative interview with Keith Urban while the game was ongoing.

Argo57
11-26-2019, 12:43 PM
With the Winnipeg D Line doing whatever, whenever they wanted, Condell could not execute his game plan. Really enjoyed the lengthy, informative interview with Keith Urban while the game was ongoing.

The sucking up to Urban during the game was a little much😛

AngeloV
11-26-2019, 12:54 PM
The sucking up to Urban during the game was a little much😛

Suitor was in his glory. He had a huge man crush going on. It was almost like the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

Argo57
11-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Suitor was in his glory. He had a huge man crush going on. It was almost like the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

True, meanwhile regular football fans just wanted to watch the game.....brutal!

1971GreyCup
11-26-2019, 05:21 PM
A couple of very informative videos of Steve Simmons HOF induction speeches.

If interested, here are the speeches involved with my induction in the media wing of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

1) Pinball Clemons presentation speech.
youtu.be/qIWWUtl9q7I

2) My speech that followed
youtu.be/L6f12JNELOk

(the first few sentences didn't make it.)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8