View Full Version : Unofficial Argos All-Decade Team

ArgoGabe22
12-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Here is my Argos All-Decade Team (2010-2019). It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Do you go for longevity, stats, personal favorites, etc.? What is yours?

Offence:

Rob Murphy - Taylor Robertson - Sean McEwan - Greg Van Roten - Chris Van Zeyl
Ricky Ray
Jeff Johnson
Cory Boyd
SJ Green - Chad Owens - Andre Durie - Dontrelle Inman

Subs: Armanti Edwards, James Wilder, Chad Kackert

Defence:

Ricky Foley - Kevin Huntley - Cleyon Laing - Tristan Okpalaugo
Marcus Ball - Robert McCune - Willie Pilie
Patrick Watkins -Lin-J Shell - Jordan Younger - Byron Parker
Jermaine Gabriel

Subs: Bear Woods, Jalil Carter, Armond Armstead

Special Teams:

K: Lirim Hajrullahu
P: Swayze Waters
LS: Jake Reinhart
KR: Chad Owens
STT: Llevi Noel

ArgoGabe22
12-22-2019, 01:20 PM
One thing I realized looking back at the rosters is that during this time, the Argos never had a consistent roster. A lot of turnover over the years.

With the running back position, Boyd left the team on bad terms but was such a great runner. Wilder had the most total yards total giving his ability to catch the ball but only had one stellar season. Then there's Kackert. I could not start Kackert since he never played more than 9 games a season. I initially started Wilder (since he had the most yards) but I personally feel Boyd was the best RB when you compare his two full seasons, was first to reach 1000 since Jenkins.

For FB, I can see Cross being a better choice than JJ, as JJ was nearing the end and Cross is just getting started. But JJ got the nod for being used more of a runner. A bit unfair.

Then with the MLB, Bear Woods finds himself like Kackert. Just not healthy enough. McCune was a tackling machine but is he the best choice the represent that position over the last 10 years? That's debatable. As is the defensive secondary. Byron Parker only played to seasons in this decade (10-11) but was a league all-star, which is enough to get the nod IMO. Too many DBs came and gone, as did the LBs.

With Kickers and Punters, no kicker ever lasted 2+ seasons. Pre was at the end of his career ans in came Waters who is like a 78% kicker for the team. Hajrullahu had the most success and thus, gets my pick.

I have excluded players who were one and done. Armond Armstead gets an honorable mention. Victor Butler and Shawn Lemon (gets dumped twice) were purposely excluded.

gilthethrill
12-22-2019, 02:58 PM
I would have placed Brandon Whittaker at RB over JWJ any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Wobbler
12-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Good call with McCune, IMO.

doubleblue
12-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Here is my Argos All-Decade Team (2010-2019). It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Do you go for longevity, stats, personal favorites, etc.? What is yours?

Offence:

Rob Murphy - Taylor Robertson - Sean McEwan - Greg Van Roten - Chris Van Zeyl
Ricky Ray
Jeff Johnson
Cory Boyd
SJ Green - Chad Owens - Andre Durie - Dontrelle Inman

Subs: Armanti Edwards, James Wilder, Chad Kackert

Defence:

Ricky Foley - Kevin Huntley - Cleyon Laing - Tristan Okpalaugo
Marcus Ball - Robert McCune - Willie Pilie
Patrick Watkins -Lin-J Shell - Jordan Younger - Byron Parker
Jermaine Gabriel

Subs: Bear Woods, Jalil Carter, Armond Armstead

Special Teams:

K: Lirim Hajrullahu
P: Swayze Waters
LS: Jake Reinhart
KR: Chad Owens
STT: Llevi Noel

Not Bad.

paulwoods13
12-22-2019, 06:30 PM
I agree with McCune, and most of the others. The one I'd change would be Medlock instead of Hajrillahu. I know we had him for only one year plus four games but IMO he was the most clutch FG kicker, especially from distance, we ever had. Hit three 50-yarders in a game once, IIRC.

Argo57
12-22-2019, 06:39 PM
I agree with McCune, and most of the others. The one I'd change would be Medlock instead of Hajrillahu. I know we had him for only one year plus four games but IMO he was the most clutch FG kicker, especially from distance, we ever had. Hit three 50-yarders in a game once, IIRC.

At 36 years old Medlock is still miles better than any of the current Argo kickers.

gilthethrill
12-22-2019, 07:50 PM

I love Jim Barker....but to release Medlock and replace him with Jamie Boreham.......

ArgoGabe22
12-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Good point but that’s where I had trouble. Do you go for the best player to play in a position or the player that represents the decade. Now, with all of the kickers none have lasted more than 2 seasons so it’s not like choosing Medlock would cause controversy but the fact he played one season is a tough sell. Kevin Eiben had one stellar season in the past decade and had over 100 tackles but I don’t he think he represents the decade. And I know the same could be said about Byron Parker but there was just so much player turnover, especially on the defence, and is probably why the Argos have been bad minus two Grey Cups.

paulwoods13
12-23-2019, 12:27 PM
To be fair, we did have Medlock for a bit more than one season (four games more). He had 50-yarders in both of his seasons in DB.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8