View Full Version : CFL rookie seasons - all-time Argos

OV Argo
01-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Off-season and we're hoping the Argos come up with some good new players and maybe some real impact guys.

Going back in Argo history - some of my all-time faves - to show what is possible.

71 - Leon McQuay - explosive RB with 977 rushing yards (7.1 yards/carry = off the charts) & 421 receiving yards as an Argo rookie (in a 14 game sched !) - team went to the GC ... oops ;o)

74 - Sam Cvijanovich - outstanding rookie D season at linebacker - 7 INTs & 2 FR; CFL did not record tackle stats back then but would have been interesting to see Sam's #s there - recall him being all over the field making plays

77 - Paul Bennett - did double duty playing DB and main Argo return guy (over 900 punt return yards and 1300 range in total including KO returns); plus had 4 INTs on D - named a CFL all-star as DB (& return guy?); maybe the best Canadian rookie season ever by an Argo ?

78 - Terry Metcalf - outstanding NFL RB lured north to play for the Argos (on a lousy 4 & 12 team) - and responded as an all-around threat - 669 rushing yards, 269 receiving yards, plus returned punts & KOs - to the tune of over 1600 total yards on the season - tremendous RB/returner talent

87 - Reggie Pleasant - excellent DB who came up from the NFL and had 9 INTs & 2 FR as an Argo rookie - on a team that went to an all-time great GC game; became a long-time Argo D stalwart

97 - Mookie Mitchell - like Pleasant, and NFL draft pick who came up to the Argos after it did not pan-out long down there for him; 77 receptions, 1457 yards & 17 TD as a rookie - and a GC ring ; followed it up with an all-time CFL receiving season in a fine CFL career.

Lots more recent evidence - like Victor Butler at DE; but i guess i have a fondness for Argo greats from further back in history.

gilthethrill
01-25-2020, 06:40 AM
Reciever Manny Hazzard in 1993 I believe. Argo player of the year, then gets cut the next season before briefly resurfacing in Hamilton and then Shreveport.

Argo57
01-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Willi Pless 1986
CFL All Star in his rookie season.
You could tell he was a special player in the pre season.
Smart, agile and a great tackler.

Will
01-25-2020, 09:41 AM
In 1987, Gill Fenerty carried 178 times for 879 yards with 12 rushing touchdowns. He also added 53 catches for 456 yards.

Jon Gonzo
01-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Some off the top of my head,

First up, Gil Fenerty and James Wilder Jr. are musts on this list

Michael Jenkins, Kevin Smellie, Doyle Orange worth mentioning

OL- Chris Shultz, Mike Kiselak, Dan Ferrone, Kelvin Pruenster, Chad Folk, Charlie Bray

Receivers - DK Smith, Terry Greer

DL - Rob Waldrop, Earl Wilson, Glenn Kulka, Rodney Harding, Jim Stillwagon, Jeff Cummins, Jim Corrigall

LB - Don Moen, Calvin Tiggle, Chris Gaines, Darryl Ford, Willie Pless

DB - Tim Anderson, Reggie Pleasant, Byron Parker, Ed Berry, Patrick Watkins

K/P - Mike Vanderjagt, Noel Prefontaine

Haven't fact check these, just off the top of my head.

Will
01-25-2020, 10:22 AM
​How are we forgetting Ismail, Raghib?

OV Argo
01-25-2020, 11:54 AM
​How are we forgetting Ismail, Raghib?

Ismail & Gil Fenerty for sure.

Gonzo - nice list; Tiggle had an amazing rookie season; (but Kiselak was not a CFL rookie when he came to the Argos - played for the Goldminers at first in the CFL; and did Don Moen start on D as a rookie ?)

Will
01-25-2020, 11:56 AM
I think Jordan Younger was pretty effective at DB right off the bat when he joined the Argonauts in 2004.
Willie Pile, IIRC, stepped into Antonious Bonner's linebacker spot rather seamlessly when he joined the Argos in 2006 or 2007.
Cory Boyd rushed for over 1,000-yards in his first season with the Argonauts.
Tristan Okpalaugo had 10+ sacks in his rookie season I think.

argolio
01-25-2020, 04:28 PM
In 1987, Gill Fenerty carried 178 times for 879 yards with 12 rushing touchdowns. He also added 53 catches for 456 yards.Tank Landry same year. 47 tackles in 9 games.

Eric "the Flea" Allen in 1972. Went over 1,000 yards receiving.

OV Argo
01-25-2020, 05:36 PM
Tank Landry same year. 47 tackles in 9 games.

Eric "the Flea" Allen in 1972. Went over 1,000 yards receiving.

Yeah - forgot about the Flea Allen - he was superb; also had over 200 rushing yards + over 400 KO return yards that season.

Gonzo mentioned DK Smith, but while his rookie Argo season was pretty decent (500+ receiving yards), he really broke out as a force the 2nd year with close to 1400 yards. And the great Terry Greer's 1st Argo seasons were nothing that special till he exploded in 82

We need another Flea, or Rocket or Mookie to explode onto the Argo receiving corps' this season - somebody come in with a groovy nickname ;o)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8