PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Norm Casola

paulwoods13
06-17-2012, 10:33 AM
My buddy came across this chopper yesterday. Very cool, would love to know the story.

For those who don't remember, Norm Casola was a really well-liked player on the Argos in the mid-1990s. He was a receiver but made his primary mark on special teams. He was diagnosed with cancer in 1998 and died later that year. If memory serves, he had symptoms in 1997 but kept them to himself and kept playing and contributing to that year's Grey Cup championship team.

Will
06-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Where did your friend take this picture?

argomANIA
06-17-2012, 12:05 PM
That's beautiful! Norm was a great guy. I actually think of him often. I have a pin that they sold after he passed away. I wear it on my jacket to this day. He was a quiet guy. Played through the pain.

Miss you Norm...

ArgoRavi
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Perry Lefko had a great column about Casola in the Toronto Sun not long after he died. I wish that I still had it. Lefko wrote about that final season which Casola played and just how ill he was by the Grey Cup game that year.

I have always said that if Casola had played in the NFL or he were a hockey player, there would have been a movie made about him years ago. Sadly, few know of his story though.

Will
06-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I remember him from when he passed away. Never got much of an opportunity at receiver from what I recall.

ArgoGabe22
06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Thats a cool bike I wonder if ... I think his name is Schmidt who played in '91 made that bike. I read an article on retired players and said he owned a custom car/chopper restoration shop down in Whitby or something like that.

1argoholic
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
I got to know Norm very well as The Argoholics got to know many guys well in those days. I still have a button on my coveralls that only get worn at Grey Cup now. He was a strong bugger and it was hard to imagine him getting taken that way. It was a real sad time. I always get asked about the button. Cool bike.

Nob
06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Like others here I too have the Cancer Foundation tribute button of Norm Casola.

Norm's passing was a very tragic story, and Lefko did a great job telling it after it unfolded. Casola was the prototypical Canadian player - quiet, hard working, and dedicated football player. He was a special teams stud. He was taken way too early.

It saddened me that the Argos gave Copeland the number 80. If I'm not mistaken I believe that Copeland is the only player since Casola to wear that number.

I have often thought that the Argos should honor Norm by naming a Special Teams player award in his name.

jerrym
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Norm was one of my favourite backup Argos of all-time.

Stevoman
06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I remember hearing stories that when other players kids came to the locker room, they all ran to Norm! A very popular locker room guy who knew his role on the field and played it well. I agree, a special teams award needs to be named in his honour.

ArgoZ
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
With all due respect, he was not a hall of famer. His number should be available for any player.

The Norm Casola award is very appropriate though. I would like to see that.

argomANIA
06-21-2012, 12:01 PM
With all due respect, he was not a hall of famer. His number should be available for any player.

The Norm Casola award is very appropriate though. I would like to see that.

Agreed...I guess we just get attached to a "number" and associate a player to it.

argofandave
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I think that Brad Smith wore # 80 during his short time here. IIRC, Adrian Smith painted a portrait of Norm and it was presented to Norm's parents on field before a game. It was one of the most touching tributes I've ever seen.

Stevoman
06-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Donald Smith (#19) was the artist...he did some great work.

1argoholic
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Yes the artist Smith was indeed Donald and I still have one of his prints I need to frame.

ash185
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi, I am Norm Casolas niece. I was young when he passed away. If anyone has any stories, pictures or articles, (especially the one that people in the thread have mentioned) that they would like to share with me, please email or reply ... I'm sure my mom would love for that as well.

ArgoRavi
04-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Hi, I am Norm Casolas niece. I was young when he passed away. If anyone has any stories, pictures or articles, (especially the one that people in the thread have mentioned) that they would like to share with me, please email or reply ... I'm sure my mom would love for that as well.

I am glad that you found this site. Your uncle is discussed every so often on here as you can see.

1argoholic
04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I always wear my picture of Norm with message about The Cancer Society on my Argoholic coveralls at Grey Cup. It sits in a plastic cover that clips on my pocket near my heart. I put a heart sticker on it as well. Folks always ask what it's about. Norm would always talk to me and was one of the very few Argos over the years that would call me by my name. I've known many players from going to practices, road trips, meet the player nights and from after games at restaurants/bars. Yet he's the only one who'd walk up and say hi Mark knowing me by name. He was such a big strong guy and when we lost him we were all in shock. It was a real eye opener.

I remember how well that group of players all treated me like gold back in the day. I remember jumping into Mike O'Shea's Jeep with Norm, Mike and Mike Morealle as they invited me from one place to another after a game in TO one night. We all went up to a bar and played pool and did plenty of laughing. Norm will never be forgotten by me.

ash185
04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Hello again, very nice to hear your stories. I have showed my mom this thread, (Carla Casola) she is Norm's older sister. They were inseparable, especially throughout their childhood. We are very happy to read all of your comments about him and it is great to see that after 14 years, his memory still lives on and that you all speak about him so respectfully and honourably. I was only 6 when he passed away, but I remember him asking me to one day find a cure for cancer. He is definitely the inspiration that has encouraged me to strive for success throughout my athletic career. I am a varsity soccer player for Laurentian University in Sudbury, ON. I like to believe I possess the same passion for soccer that my Uncle did for football and that is what I admire him the most for; how much he loved the game and how he played it with so much pride, determination and heart. Thanks for all of your comments, they were a pleasure to read. I have always said that I wish I had known him better, and all of these posts are so enlightening and I am proud as his niece to have read them all. - Ashley Melnek

294life
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Hello again, very nice to hear your stories. I have showed my mom this thread, (Carla Casola) she is Norm's older sister. They were inseparable, especially throughout their childhood. We are very happy to read all of your comments about him and it is great to see that after 14 years, his memory still lives on and that you all speak about him so respectfully and honourably. I was only 6 when he passed away, but I remember him asking me to one day find a cure for cancer. He is definitely the inspiration that has encouraged me to strive for success throughout my athletic career. I am a varsity soccer player for Laurentian University in Sudbury, ON. I like to believe I possess the same passion for soccer that my Uncle did for football and that is what I admire him the most for; how much he loved the game and how he played it with so much pride, determination and heart. Thanks for all of your comments, they were a pleasure to read. I have always said that I wish I had known him better, and all of these posts are so enlightening and I am proud as his niece to have read them all. - Ashley Melnek

wow that's amazing. this thread should have a place of honor here.

1argoholic
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Glad that our thoughts about Norm are a comfort in some way. Good luck with your schooling and soccer career.

argonaut11xx
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
ESPN Classic Canada is playing the first ever game by the Baltimore Stallions, v the Argo's at Skydome.

American feed, but lots of footage of your uncle #35, Norm Casola.

Lots of praise on special teams as well......

BTW,....Mike Pringle was a backup, and a hell of a special team player...

WOW, NFL great Tom Matte is interveiwed..and he is a Canadian..who knew...as much as expansion was a DUD...the Stallions were a great addition

argolio
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
WOW, NFL great Tom Matte is interveiwed..and he is a Canadian..who knewYou sure you heard that right? His Wikipedia page says he was born in Pittsburgh.

argonaut11xx
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Well Tom Matte said he was "Canadian", however the truth is his father was Canadian, and he himself is a duel citizen.
(see the third paragraph down)

BTW..some very interesting grey cup talk in this sportspage.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19601126&id=S10rAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Pp0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=5357,5076438

rach01
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Hello,

I am one of Norm Casola's nieces, Rachel. Has anyone found out where this chopper came from or whom it belongs to? Would love to know the story behind it. It is very nice to see that so many people remember my Uncle and knew him to be such a wonderful person. He was such a beautiful person and is missed every day.

Thank you for all of your stories!
Rachel Casola

Stevoman
07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Came across these today that have Norm in them in the second half of each video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCF76oEpS-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0HsRKFGOQ

ArgoGabe22
07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Looks like Trent Guy was enjoying his time with the Argo Chopper.

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/1df727e0f26611e2957d22000a1fa40f_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/6b6d3282f2e611e2b38022000a9e070a_7.jpg

Will
07-22-2013, 01:24 PM
This was in King City wasn't it?

Tamsilva
03-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Hi Ashley it is Tammy I am so happy I found this I think of uncle norm each day. I have his picture by my side and the little inspiration footprints book that he gave me. I miss him terribly. I have some pictures of him and I. Would love to share. Xo

Hello,

I am one of Norm Casola's nieces, Rachel. Has anyone found out where this chopper came from or whom it belongs to? Would love to know the story behind it. It is very nice to see that so many people remember my Uncle and knew him to be such a wonderful person. He was such a beautiful person and is missed every day.

Thank you for all of your stories!
Rachel Casola

Hi Rachel. Uncle norm is missed so much. I wish I can go back in time. He brought so much love to my life and I believe that He is with me each day. There is no one out there that can compare to him. I miss listening to Keith sweat and having our nice dinners that uncle norm would cook so often with me. For one day we will meet again. Love you guys all.

1argoholic
03-16-2015, 12:04 PM
I think of Norm often and those were great days when he was an Argonaut. I remember hanging with many of the guys at Badali's after games. Norm was one of the great guys who always had a hey, Mark for me. Losing him was very tough for everyone around the team in those days. Still have his photo on my Argoholic coveralls and every Grey Cup people who don't know his story still ask about his photo.

ArgoRavi
03-16-2015, 03:42 PM
I think of Norm often and those were great days when he was an Argonaut. I remember hanging with many of the guys at Badali's after games. Norm was one of the great guys who always had a hey, Mark for me. Losing him was very tough for everyone around the team in those days. Still have his photo on my Argoholic coveralls and every Grey Cup people who don't know his story still ask about his photo.

What saddens me is that people don't know his story. If he were an NHL player, there would have been a movie made about him. Someone should do a movie on Casola based on a terrific Perry Lefko article about what he went through that Perry did not long after Casola's death.

doubleblue
03-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Perry Lefko also did a great piece on former Argo DE Chuck Walsh's Mother who was a super fan and cookie baker for the team. She left this earth a way to soon as well.

1argoholic
03-17-2015, 10:25 AM
I remember my wife and I meeting a very excited mother at the upper practice field at Erindale while watching practice. It was Chucks mom. She was a GREAT woman who always seemed to be around and love the whole Argo scene.

jcasola
12-31-2019, 06:45 AM
Wow this is a really awesome thread. Norm Casola was one of my early heroes as a small boy. He was my uncle (My father, Lewis Casola’s younger brother). He still remains in my heart and I think of him often and the memories I shared with him as A youngster. He was taken from us when I was 9. My grit, determination, and quiet presence comes in part from this man. I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie, ON but now live with my wife, two kids, and soon to be son in sunny Orlando, FL.

Thanks for sharing. I love you Uncle Norm. Rest In Peace brother

Stevoman
01-02-2020, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard and yes, your uncle was a hero to many!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8