PDA

View Full Version : Marc Trestman’s XFL Tampa Vipers debut today at 2pm

1971GreyCup
02-09-2020, 11:20 AM
I’m looking forward to this debut. Argos/Ticat’s LB Terrence Plummer is playing.

I like the opportunity for the CFL GMs to get a lot of film on hundreds of top NCAA grads as they display their skills prior to the 2020 season. At their salary level the CFL looks like the logical step on their dream to play to the NFL. No downside here.

I also interested in how they market the XFL in NFL cities. Ticket pricing? On field entertainment? Etc.

gilthethrill
02-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Was able to catch part of the Houston/LA game on YouTube yesterday. If you watched the AAF last year, you would think you were watching it again yesterday. Nothing notable really.

Argo57
02-09-2020, 12:26 PM
I just don’t see spring football working in the States.

argotom
02-09-2020, 01:23 PM
No doubt more dink and dunk boring offense by Trestman with his horrible play calling.

paulwoods13
02-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Some of the XFL changes are worth considering. I like allowing the coach to talk to the QB right up to the snap of the ball (but not while the play is under way). I like letting viewers see the discussion between Command Centre and the ref. (Ambrosie has previously spoken about letting viewers see the same replays the booth is seeing, in real time.) I would be fine with the league going back to in-game interviews with players. I would like the league to consider the XFL's clock rules (25-second play clock) altho based on yesterday there is not yet any indication that it either speeds up the game appreciably or results in more snaps. The two-forward-pass rule (as long as first lands behind the line of scrimmage) seems like a decent enough innovation altho I didn't see anyone try it yesterday.

Argo57
02-09-2020, 01:51 PM
No doubt more dink and dunk boring offense by Trestman with his horrible play calling.

It’s official, “The Professor” has fallen from grace.
Immediate observation watching this game, Trestman runs the offence while his “OC” Jaime Elizondo idly stands beside him.

gilthethrill
02-09-2020, 03:44 PM
It’s official, “The Professor” has fallen from grace.
Immediate observation watching this game, Trestman runs the offence while his “OC” Jaime Elizondo idly stands beside him.

Tampa Bay qb and for member of the AAF Atlanta Legends, Aaron Murray, is on pace for a 300 yard game. Not sure how much more I can watch.

argolio
02-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Tampa Bay qb and for member of the AAF Atlanta Legends, Aaron Murray, is on pace for a 300 yard game. Not sure how much more I can watch.Any Luis Perez sightings?

Argo57
02-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Tampa Bay qb and for member of the AAF Atlanta Legends, Aaron Murray, is on pace for a 300 yard game. Not sure how much more I can watch.

I’ve bailed on this one long ago.

gilthethrill
02-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Any Luis Perez sightings?

No, but he is ready I am sure.

gilthethrill
02-09-2020, 05:05 PM
I’ve bailed on this one long ago.

Game lasted 3 hours which is not suppose to happen in the XFL.

paulwoods13
02-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Game lasted 3 hours which is not suppose to happen in the XFL.

Both of yesterday's games also surpassed three hours; so much for that idea.

I didn't watch today's early game but I gather it did not go well for Trestman's team. I just had on whichever US sports radio network TSN1050 was running this evening, and they (presumably after watching the game) were ripping Trestman and being extremely sarcastic about him.

It is sort of funny that some here were calling him "the Professor" a couple of years ago.

argotom
02-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Yes I only could stand to watch this trainwreck for a few minutes. Nothing changed with Marc calling the brutal plays, his OC again picking his nose and good old Jerry G. being interviewed with sunglasses.

Jon Gonzo
02-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Every dog has its day. To assert that Marc Trestman was never a good coach... is revisionist and off-base.

Football, like hockey, is becoming a younger Coaches game. This guy played a huge roll in a Cup win in Toronto and I think he deserves a little more respect frankly.

AngeloV
02-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Every dog has its day. To assert that Marc Trestman was never a good coach... is revisionist and off-base.

Football, like hockey, is becoming a younger Coaches game. This guy played a huge roll in a Cup win in Toronto and I think he deserves a little more respect frankly.

Agreed. He's just very stubborn.

I see all of his receivers are huge, something he likes, while both the CFL and even the NFL now are using smaller guys that can break ankles when changing direction. No secret that a guy like Chandler Worthy injected some life into the Argos late last season. Trestman never seemed to open up to him or Baylon Addison, or Mario Alford.

AngeloV
02-10-2020, 11:53 AM
I would like the league to consider the XFL's clock rules (25-second play clock) altho based on yesterday there is not yet any indication that it either speeds up the game appreciably or results in more snaps. .

We discussed this on twitter yesterday, but I will address it again. The XFL, as well as many close minded CFL fans, believe the BS about the shorter play clock (25 or 20 seconds) being a faster paced game. It used to be true in the CFL before roster expansion and tons of substitutions between plays, but it's not the case. I have observed this at CFL games where the officials often take about 15-20 seconds after the conclusion of the previous play to blow in the 20 second clock, yet the game clock has been ticking the whole time. The 40 second in the NFL guarantees no more than 40 seconds between the whistle to end the previous play and the next snap. In the CFL, they lose a lot of play clock while the officials wait to blow in the next play. And don't get me started on the play clock ticking between a TD and the convert unless it's the last 3 minutes of a half.

paulwoods13
02-10-2020, 01:07 PM

For the record, I have always respected (and more than once, even after he was fired) praised Trestman for leading us to a very unexpected and extremely satisfying Cup win. I've also ripped him for becoming a stubborn, my-way-or-the-highway coach the following season, and for treating some individuals around him (including one employee who reportedly quit on the spot after being verbally abused by Trestman) with disdain bordering on contempt. IMO his dismissal was deserved, notwithstanding the success he had just one year earlier. And also for the record, I was critical of the "Professor" nickname even when he was still in all of our good books.

paulwoods13
02-10-2020, 01:12 PM
We discussed this on twitter yesterday, but I will address it again. The XFL, as well as many close minded CFL fans, believe the BS about the shorter play clock (25 or 20 seconds) being a faster paced game. It used to be true in the CFL before roster expansion and tons of substitutions between plays, but it's not the case. I have observed this at CFL games where the officials often take about 15-20 seconds after the conclusion of the previous play to blow in the 20 second clock, yet the game clock has been ticking the whole time. The 40 second in the NFL guarantees no more than 40 seconds between the whistle to end the previous play and the next snap. In the CFL, they lose a lot of play clock while the officials wait to blow in the next play. And don't get me started on the play clock ticking between a TD and the convert unless it's the last 3 minutes of a half.

This is 100% correct. It's insane how much time is wasted by the CFL's clock rules. I haven't been able to figure out when these changes were made but I believe it relates to the increase in roster sizes and coaches' insistence on being able to substitute guys in and out on every play. In the days of 34- or 36-man rosters, your starting 12 played virtually every down and there was no reason not to start the 20-second play clock as soon as the ball was placed. Now refs watch the sidelines and decide when all the subs are in, then start it. I've watched the scoreboard at some games and it's not uncommon to see 40 or even 45 seconds of playing time run off between a whistle stopping a play and the next snap. If I could change one thing about this league, it would be to change the clock rules to force more actual plays during games. That's what we're there to see -- football being played, not guys running off and on the field while the clock continues to run.

Jon Gonzo
02-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Agreed. He's just very stubborn.

I see all of his receivers are huge, something he likes, while both the CFL and even the NFL now are using smaller guys that can break ankles when changing direction. No secret that a guy like Chandler Worthy injected some life into the Argos late last season. Trestman never seemed to open up to him or Baylon Addison, or Mario Alford.

For sure, older Coaches don't seem very fluid in their methodology. They'll stick with the same thing over and over and over because it's what got em there, which precludes flexibility. I think the example you use here is a very good one. They overlooked some good players, likely due to a Coach set in his ways.

I think this is the crux of the issue that began to show it's ugly face in how Popp and Trestman were not on the same page anymore.

Losing always does it.

argotom
02-10-2020, 03:34 PM
No surprise here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1087437131432243202/7VNnXy9I_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti)Matthew Scianitti
✔@TSNScianitti
(https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti)

(https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/1226926741345755136)

Longtime 10K yard #CFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash) receiver SJ Green will sign with the XFL today. Green signs deal with XFL primary ownernship group and will enter the league waiver wire where his rights will be picked-up by a team at the top of the wire. SJ Green's deal will run through May 31 2020 #XFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/XFL?src=hash)

133 (https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1226926741345755136)
12:51 PM - Feb 10, 2020 (https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/1226926741345755136)
Twitter Ads info and privacy (https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175256)

73 people are talking about this

(https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/1226926741345755136)

AngeloV
02-10-2020, 04:21 PM
This is 100% correct. It's insane how much time is wasted by the CFL's clock rules. I haven't been able to figure out when these changes were made but I believe it relates to the increase in roster sizes and coaches' insistence on being able to substitute guys in and out on every play. In the days of 34- or 36-man rosters, your starting 12 played virtually every down and there was no reason not to start the 20-second play clock as soon as the ball was placed. Now refs watch the sidelines and decide when all the subs are in, then start it. I've watched the scoreboard at some games and it's not uncommon to see 40 or even 45 seconds of playing time run off between a whistle stopping a play and the next snap. If I could change one thing about this league, it would be to change the clock rules to force more actual plays during games. That's what we're there to see -- football being played, not guys running off and on the field while the clock continues to run.

I'd like to see the CFL go to the NFL style play clock, but make it 30 or even 35 seconds as opposed to their 40. Start the play clock as soon as the whistle blows to end the previous play.

argolio
02-10-2020, 05:38 PM
I'd like to see the CFL go to the NFL style play clock, but make it 30 or even 35 seconds as opposed to their 40. Start the play clock as soon as the whistle blows to end the previous play.There are pros and cons to both. Because the NFL play clock starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous play, I've noticed that some teams struggle to get the next play off in time after a long gain because it takes players (especially linemen) more time to get to the new line of scrimmage. That's never an issue in the CFL because the play clock doesn't start until the official places the ball at the line of scrimmage.

argotom
02-11-2020, 10:50 AM
There are pros and cons to both. Because the NFL play clock starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous play, I've noticed that some teams struggle to get the next play off in time after a long gain because it takes players (especially linemen) more time to get to the new line of scrimmage. That's never an issue in the CFL because the play clock doesn't start until the official places the ball at the line of scrimmage.

I have found that our continuous play clock with the exception of the last 3 minutes of each half, is really arbitrary and frankly stupid at times.
The refs do not blow it generally when the 3rd down teams come on or let's say when there is a melee on the field.
I have watched on many occasions nearly one minute being wasted for nothing until the play is blown.
The few minutes that I could barely watch of the XFL, there were 2 good things.
There was a special dedicated official on the filed with the ball as a spotter only.
During the kickoff, the team kicking off lines up way down the filed with the opposing receiving team five yards away.
To prevent presumably high speed injuries.
Now, I didn't catch but what would they do is a team wants to try an onside kick which is exciting and a great strategy. Do you have to declare and line up normal?

argotom
02-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Bang on, ditto here our officials waste a lot of time with seconds ticking off before they blow in the 20 seconds clock. It drives me crazy.
I would love to compare the number of offensive plays being run now with this latest clock "manangement" versus a few years ago when they did not have it.

argolio
02-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Now, I didn't catch but what would they do is a team wants to try an onside kick which is exciting and a great strategy. Do you have to declare and line up normal?I think the replacement for an onside kick is the offence going on the field and having to convert what amounts to a 4th and 10 (or 15?) play.

Topshelf
02-18-2020, 01:35 PM
The one thing about XFL is they are at least trying to use their unique rules. Aside from 3 downs, its as if we are playing american rules out there.
Some coaches dont even go for the single when it is painfully obvious thats the play.
We need to open up the old school cfl playbook!

AngeloV
02-18-2020, 03:49 PM
The one thing about XFL is they are at least trying to use their unique rules. Aside from 3 downs, its as if we are playing american rules out there.

I don't follow here. Just off the top of my head I can think of more....
one foot in bounds for a receiver
halo on punt returns ensuring there is a return on every punt fielded
out of bounds punt in the air being a penalty
Unlimited motion from the 5 players not lined up on the line of scrimmage
any player behind the kicker is on side and can recover any type of kicked ball

By the way, seeing as how this thread is about Trestman's team, I would like to point out that his defence led by DC Jerry Glanville has as many points scored as his offence does (6 a piece) while scoring the team's only TD through 2 weeks. Not pretty.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8