PDA

View Full Version : Argos Release 8

Mulder
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
ArgosLandry ‏@ArgosLandry
Argos have released 8 players including DT Ckaude Wroten and DB Nick Clement. #CFL #Argos

Not sure who the other 6 are.

Will
06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Area 51 must be rejoicing!

ArgoRavi
06-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Area 51 must be rejoicing!

What is interesting is that a lot of what Area 51 wanted to happen has happened. He wanted the Argos to play much more man-to-man defence and he is going to get that. He claimed that Byron Parker could not play man-to-man and the Argos agreed with him and didn't even try to re-sign Parker. He wanted Wroten to be let go and he has gotten that wish as well.

backer@oldclarke
06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
ArgosLandry ‏@ArgosLandry
Argos have released 8 players including DT Ckaude Wroten and DB Nick Clement. #CFL #Argos
Not sure who the other 6 are.
WR Damario Ballard - RB Allen Ervin - DL Jonathan Pierre-Etienne - OL Zach Pollari - DL Bernard Smith and WR Cory Surrency

Will
06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Not surprised about Ballard. He didn't practice the few times I was there and didn't play on Wednesday either.

Wobbler
06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
So who has looked good enough at DT that Wroten became disposable? Armstead?

Will
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
So who has looked good enough at DT that Wroten became disposable? Armstead?

I'm not sure, Armstead came to camp with a bit of hype behind him, but then again Wroten also came into camp with a bit of hype last year. Armstead was projected by many to be a late 1st or 2nd round pick in the NFL draft, but there were some health issues that kept him from being drafted. Barker touched on that a little bit when he talked with Mike Hogan on Argos All Access the other week.

1argoholic
06-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Armstead had some medical issue that turned out to be nothing but the NFL still past on him. They'll pass on him until he proves himself in the CFL and then they'll be all over him. Good to see lazy Wroten gone. I agreed with plenty of what Area 51 said.
Time to let him back on board!!!

jerrym
06-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I am glad to see Wroten gone. I remember one of the other players joking about his work ethic to his face during one of the documentaries on the Argos last year. What troubled me was not the comment, but Wroten's seeming indifference to the comment. It seemed to me that he came late to camp last year, worked just hard enough to make the team, established the fact he had a decent or maybe even slightly superior skill level in his first game with 2 sacs and some aggressive play and then coasted on these meagre laurels for the rest of the season. Beyond the slack attitude affecting his ability to perform consistently, I felt his attitude was toxic to the team. I generally try to avoid criticizing players severely because I have made many mistakes, including some boneheaded ones myself, but I feel Wroten never took the CFL skill level seriously and former NFL players who take this approach are nearly always bad news for their team in the long run.

argolio
06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Interesting analysis Jerry. And I'd bet you're pretty close to the truth.

Wobbler
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Bill Lankoff's new article (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2012/06/17/19888426.html) goes into detail about Wroten and the reasons for his release. And it does indeed sound as though it is now Armstead's job to lose.

Also, we apparently haven't given up on Ballard yet, which is good to hear.

ArgoRavi
06-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Bill Lankoff's new article (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2012/06/17/19888426.html) goes into detail about Wroten and the reasons for his release. And it does indeed sound as though it is now Armstead's job to lose.

Also, we apparently haven't given up on Ballard yet, which is good to hear.

This quote from Barker should please OV: “I think it’s important for guys to understand they have to come out here and perform or they’re not going to be here. And,” said Barker, “it doesn’t matter what your name is or where you are pencilled in.”

OV Argo
06-18-2012, 08:28 AM
This quote from Barker should please OV: “I think it’s important for guys to understand they have to come out here and perform or they’re not going to be here. And,” said Barker, “it doesn’t matter what your name is or where you are pencilled in.”

Interesting Ravi. I guess Armstead is really impressing - hopefully he is a very good one.

No mention of Greg Alexandre though - who has a year of Argo roster experience; but maybe he isn't "ready"*# to compete for real playing time at DT alongside the likes of Armstead.

Will
06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
An interesting tidbit:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/17/argonauts-make-first-round-of-mandatory-cuts/

All eight CFL teams had to release players by Monday, June 18. Toronto’s roster is still at 70, but five players are considered “non-counters,” which are either 2012 Canadian draft picks, or players brought to camp for developmental purposes. The draft picks at this year’s camp are receiver Quincy Hurst, fullback Aaron Crawford, and defensive back Shea Pierre. The two developmental players are defensive lineman David Lee, and kicker Anthony Alix.

All non-counters can make Toronto’s final roster; but although the non-counters were omitted from the first round of cuts, head coach Scott Milanovich, and general manager Jim Barker will have to consider them now when Toronto takes its roster down from 65 to 46 next Saturday, June 23. There must be, at least, 20 Canadians in the final 46-man roster.

The next round of cuts are to be made on 06/23/2012, which is the same day as Fan Day. I suspect the cuts will be made before Fan Day actually starts.

Wobbler
06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Side note: Shannon Boatman was signed by the Bombers yesterday. They've had injuries to OTs in camp, though, so this could be more of a band-aid move than an expression of genuine interest.

I had been wondering whether we might give him another look, after Coughman's flame-out, but we seem fully committed to the all-NI O-Line. This article (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/big-blue-bolster-offensive-line-159394385.html?viewAllComments=y) also affirms once again that the Bombers wanted Chris Patrick, and I remain hopeful that we'll end up with a good return in that trade.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8