PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner Ambrosie Proposes New Playoff Format

jerrym
02-17-2020, 06:07 PM
CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has proposed a new playoff format.

I like it as it could help remove some of the complacency in recruiting that sometimes happens, especially in the East, when teams feel they have an excellent chance of making the playoffs because most of the other teams in their division are very weak.

What do you think of it?

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has a new idea for post-season seeding in the three-down league. ...

Here’s an idea that’s been floated. The first-place teams in the East and West would win their divisions and would host a playoff game — the same as we currently have,” Ambrosie said at TD Place’s Otto’s Club from Ottawa Sun reporter Tim Baines (https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/randys-road-trip-commish-speaks-about-new-playoff-system-combining-grey-cup-with-vanier-cup-cfl-2-0).

“The difference would be that the third-, fourth-, fifth- and sixth-place teams in the league would make the playoffs, regardless of division. Third would play sixth and fourth would play fifth. It makes the late-stage competition for a playoff game more important.”

It can be tough to ensure playoff balance in a nine-team league, especially in a year when one division — in recent seasons its been the West — is far superior to the other. The crossover rule was implemented to try to maximize meaningful and competitive games down the stretch and to reward the better teams with playoff spots. ...

CFL purists often point to the history of the East versus West play downs as a reason to eschew evolution. Based on what Ambrosie had to say, it seems as though the league is at least open to considering adjustment of the current playoff setup.

“Here’s the next change: After the two semi-final games are played on Saturday, Sunday would be decision day for the first-place team. On a nationally broadcast show, the first-place team would pick who they’re playing from the (two semi-final winners,” Ambrosie said. “It’s something we’re talking about. If we did this, what we might have to agree on is we would do this for a limited amount of time until we got Halifax into the league — then we might have to make a different decision.”

There are people who believe the CFL has serious problems with its playoff format (https://3downnation.com/2019/10/24/a-detailed-look-at-why-the-cfl-playoff-format-needs-to-be-changed/) — and has for a very long time. Ambrosie is at the very least having the conversation which could usher in new unique structure.

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/commissioner-randy-ambrosie-floats-idea-for-new-cfl-playoff-format/

argolio
02-18-2020, 08:30 AM
I can live with the "third to sixth regardless of division" deal, but choosing who you're going to play is simply a gimmick to create a made-for-TV event. It also gives more incentive to the team that gets picked. I vote no on that.

But if it's only a short-term format until Halifax (hopefully) enters the league, then why do it at all?

shayman
02-18-2020, 10:56 AM
I like the opponent-picking idea. Imagine the arguments and controversy it would create. It'd get people talking. (the MLB commish is talking about something similar)

One possible downside, suppose the Argos finish first, everybody wants them to pick the Ticats because it'd be a great atmosphere and a huge rivalry and big fun and good for business, and then the team says, "Naaah, we'll pick BC."

shayman
02-18-2020, 10:59 AM
How about this. You want to get people talking, you want to stir things up, you want to do something unprecedented: FANS of the first place team pick the opponent.

Imagine the scene. Pinball on a live TV broadcast, outlining the different choices, and why the team thinks they should play BC. Then in a secret ballot, the fans vote for the Ticats.

People would never stop talking about it. No other league in the world would ever empower the fans this way. It'd be great.

Antwon
02-19-2020, 12:33 PM
I can live with the "third to sixth regardless of division" deal, but choosing who you're going to play is simply a gimmick to create a made-for-TV event. It also gives more incentive to the team that gets picked. I vote no on that.

But if it's only a short-term format until Halifax (hopefully) enters the league, then why do it at all?

Yep the picking seems like a short sighted gimmick. Secondly I don't see the reason for a change, only to be changed again if/when Halifax comes in.
Saturday for the semi's is worth a try. I would think it would produce larger game attendance.

paulwoods13
02-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure the league did playoff games on Saturday a decade or so ago and the ratings went down. Ravi probably remembers the details. That said, I am not at all opposed to trying it again. I loved the atmosphere when Argos were forced to host a playoff game on a Friday night in 2004 and would also be in favour of doing one of those each year, provided it was played in a good time slot for eastern viewers. How about Eastern playoff games Friday nights and Western games on Saturday mid-afternoons, say 3p so games are over before HNIC starts?

I'm not unalterably opposed to the pick-your-opponent idea, but I think Ambrosie is dreaming if he thinks the selection event would draw a big TV crowd. It would have to be Sunday morning, before NFL games start, which is hardly a time of big TV audiences.

AngeloV
02-19-2020, 02:32 PM
I like Ambrosie, but I am of the opinion that Saturday playoff games is a bad idea. A lot more people work on Saturdays than Sundays. I also agree with Anton and Argolio that changing a playoff format for what may be 2 years should Halifax come in is a dumb idea.

OV Argo
02-19-2020, 11:19 PM
IMO - the CFL needs more play-off games; a bye to the East or West final means you only need to win one play-off game to get to the Title game; not good enough IMO; have 2 East & West semis (1st plays 4th/ 2nd plays 3rd, with possible cross-over still) and tough Shite if some are going to whine that 8 of 9 teams make the play-offs; benefit of 2 extra big play-off games out-weighs that issue IMO; extra TV exposure, more fan interest, more revenue for hosting teams.

paulwoods13
02-20-2020, 08:14 AM
I'd also like more playoff games but would keep the number of playoff teams at six. Replicate 1986: two semifinals in whichever division is stronger, and two-game total points series in whichever division is weaker. That means three playoff games in week 1, two in week 2 (including one where a team is out to avenge its loss the previous week) and then the Grey Cup. One extra playoff gate, one extra day of playoff of action.

The downside of 2-game series is if one team loses by a huge margin in week 1, its chances will seem hopeless the following week and fan interest (locally and across the country) might drop off.

shayman
02-27-2020, 04:22 PM
The downside of 2-game series is if one team loses by a huge margin in week 1, its chances will seem hopeless the following week and fan interest (locally and across the country) might drop off.

ah, I remember now, when I was a kid we went to see the London Lords of the ORFU play their archrival Bramalea in Game 1 at home of a two-game total-point final. London won 42-6 behind a strong effort from quarterback Tony Passander. We had it made! We couldn't lose!

Bramalea won the next week, 48-7.

A loss so epic that Steve Milton of the Spec wrote about it decades later - https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7770095-the-biggest-choke-in-canadian-history-/
Somehow I cannot remove those scores from my brain.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8