View Full Version : The Rod Peterson Show

doubleblue
02-17-2020, 08:37 PM
I like watching the Rod Peterson Show as he has a lot of CFL news on there that Media, especially in Toronto don't cover. However, I took exception to something he said last week and he should know better. He said the CFL to the NFL was like the American Hockey League to the NHL. Money wise I agree with him. Calibre wise I don't. The AHL has the same rules the same sized playing surface and probably 90% of NHL players would stand out in the AHL.
Difference story with the CFL to NFL. Different game, larger field, different kind of player. I would say the comparison is more like the NHL to the top European Hockey Teams. IMO you could take the average NHL player over to Europe and they wouldn't stand out like they would in the AHL. A talented smaller player can be successful in the European Leagues on the larger surface where he has problems in the NHL with less space. Same with many of the CFL players.
So Rod ask Ricky Williams a dozens of other American stars who came to the CFL thinking they could set it on fire and went back kind of with their tails between their legs so to speak.

OV Argo
02-17-2020, 09:34 PM
I like watching the Rod Peterson Show as he has a lot of CFL news on there that Media, especially in Toronto don't cover. However, I took exception to something he said last week and he should know better. He said the CFL to the NFL was like the American Hockey League to the NHL. Money wise I agree with him. Calibre wise I don't. The AHL has the same rules the same sized playing surface and probably 90% of NHL players would stand out in the AHL.
Difference story with the CFL to NFL. Different game, larger field, different kind of player. I would say the comparison is more like the NHL to the top European Hockey Teams. IMO you could take the average NHL player over to Europe and they wouldn't stand out like they would in the AHL. A talented smaller player can be successful in the European Leagues on the larger surface where he has problems in the NHL with less space. Same with many of the CFL players.
So Rod ask Ricky Williams a dozens of other American stars who came to the CFL thinking they could set it on fire and went back kind of with their tails between their legs so to speak.

Bang-on db; another thing - the AHL is a farm team league for the NHL and the parent league follows the AHL to monitor players who are their property; OTOH - the NFL has no affiliation with the CFL and they don\t follow it closely and are often either ignorant or dismissive of the football talent there.

The comparison with the NHL (biggest money league) to a European Pro League (Russian Super League or Swedish Elite League or whatever they are called) is much more accurate. But Canadian football has wayyyyyyy more differences in rules/style/nuances when compared to American football, vs. Canadian hockey compared to European hockey (a few differences but still very similar). And I really wonder if there are all these wannabe media types and sports fans in Russia or Sweden who are so keen to mock or dis their big pro league cause it ain't the NHL ?

Peterson there showing to be yet another example of wannabe Canadian sports media types who don't get the CFL but are very good with dissing it cause it ain't the allmighty NFL. These clown types have been around for decades and are IMO a big reason for the gradual decline in respect for the CFL that has been going on in it's own country for decades - wannabes leading the sheep (joe average sport fan). Sad / pathetic, but is what it is.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8