View Full Version : NFL Practice Rosters

doubleblue
02-24-2020, 11:26 PM
Practice squad eligibility
Teams can carry 10 players on the practice squad, but four of them must have two accrued seasons’ worth of experience. The remaining six must have logged fewer than two accrued seasons. And in total, players are only eligible to remain on the practice squad for three years (a minimum of six games per year). An accrued season equals six games spent on the 53-man roster, injured reserve, or physically unable to perform list.

NFL proposing that their practice rosters be increased to 14. That would take another 124 players out of the FA pool. It looks like team can keep players on the PR up to three years. But then these players would be released if they haven't made a game day roster. I don't know how much of an affect that will have on the CFL. I believe they (CFL) target many of these players who have exhausted their PR eligibility or have been on a roster for 3 years, after which time their salary is automatically bumped up. Many times NFL teams then cut these backups for younger cheaper players. These guys are still good players and if they are CFL types that's where they start to look. So I don't know how bad the extra PR total is going to affect the CFL. There are still over a thousand players coming out of US Colleges every year. Just like GM and Ford turning out vehicles, not much difference except for a few high enders. I have to think the smaller skilled players will still be available. Like the 6'1 6'2 235-240 tweener LB who can be a good RE in the CFL, or a 6'2 210 SS becomes a OLB in the CFL and so on. But they are going to have compete with the XFL also if they keep going. Maybe some Global players can help fill the gap for the CFL but it may be a little tougher finding good players to come up here in the future.

gilthethrill
02-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Expanded NFL PR won't help the XFL either.

Rich
02-25-2020, 01:59 PM
There are still over a thousand players coming out of US Colleges every year.

Taking all three NCAA divisions into account, it's more like 16,000 (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/football-probability-competing-beyond-high-school).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8