PDA

View Full Version : My best attempt at our Depth Chart

BantOarsman
02-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Hey all, I spent some time putting together a depth chart (https://twitter.com/CFLFansToronto/status/1233156247597330432) with my very limited knowledge. A few questions that came up as I worked through this:

- Where will we start out Nationals?

D Possibilities: 1,2, or 3 of Lokombo, Woodson, Boateng, Colquhoun in the secondary (or maybe Lokombo at Will, or even Sam); Robbie Smith(DE or DT?); Ackie (or Kwemo/Onyeka) at Will. Will Darby be at Safety, Sam, or HB? I like him best at Safety but looking at the National DBs, I am guessing we go the traditional National safety route and Darby brings his veteran expertise to the challenging Sam role.

O Possibilities: assume 3 linemen in the interior; maybe a National RT; 1,2 or 3 of Brescacin, Adjei, Noel, Gittens at rec. I think there have to be long-term aspirations for Shane Richards or Jamaal Campbell at RT, but I went conservative and slotted two American tackles

- I have designated 8 National starters, which is one more than required, so there's flexibility. In the end I settled on these National starters: Lokombo, Ackie, Colquhoun | J Campbell, Blake, Bladek, Adjei, Brescacin

- I have no idea where Jeff Knox Jr. fits in, but that's based on my assumption of a National at Will

- Who will start at RB is anyone's guess

- One or two new American receivers could start. I have no idea who, though I watched some youtube highlights and made some decisions based on positional experience, pro-day/combine #s, and body type

- Who is our Centre?? I'm not sure who has experience, so I penciled in the veteran Blake at assuming the role. I wonder if that's a draft priority. Another draft priority might be a National DE to backup Robbie Smith (if DE is indeed the plan for him).

- Where will Gilchrist play? It seems he could play any of DE, Will, or MLB

- @Ben_Grant, who has a great blog and the XsandArgos (https://xsandargos.com/) podcast also put up a depth-chart today before I got mine out. Check it out as well on twitter; it has some different looks: https://twitter.com/Ben__Grant/status/1233088671873720320
- also check out his amazing analysis of what Dinwiddie might bring to the offense: https://twitter.com/Ben__Grant/status/1232389413172367360

- SO excited for the draft and training camp!

OV Argo
02-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Robbie Smith is a DE - can't see anyway he plays at DT; Foote could be the depth guy at DT, but they could think of drafting a DT to go with him or displace him - a few good DT prospects this draft where the Argos have lots of picks.

Interesting battle at NI receiver (1 or 2 start?); Brescacin might be a lock if he is healthy; Adjei might be a presumed starter with his recent CFL experience (solid hands possession guy for the Esks), but there should be competition there and IMO Noel or Gittens have more all-around receiver talent; and if NFLer Jones get his situation resolved to be a National, he might be a presumed starter to take up one of the 2 NI spots ( though i would not pencil him in without real TC competition).

Ackie backed by Shorthill would be real solid at Will OLB, IMO.

Lokombo at safety ? Then the chance to have Colquhon play at corner with Woodson at D-half could mean 3 Canadians starting in the secondary - believe that when i see it (along with pigs flying again), but a possibility i guess ?

BantOarsman
02-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I had Lokombo and Colquhoun, though I had an extra Canadian starter. If I dropped one, it'd probably be field corner, moving Richardson over. Lokombo played S in Montreal, and given the list of potential Nat Wills, I figured it made sense for him to be at S (thus moving Darby to Sam). But wow do we have some athletic Nat DBs with starter experience in Boateng, Colquhoun, and Woodson

Shatto
02-27-2020, 11:36 PM
Not quite courageous enough to try a potential depth chart yet, but will attempt to identify who will likely be our best 7/8 Nationals. I agree with BantOarsman that Ackie, Colquhoun, Lokombo on defense and Blake, Bladeck, Campbell on the OL and Brescacin at receiver are the best 7 Canadians. If Jones is signed after all, I would add him, to the list of the best 8 Canadians.

The team has a wealth of very good Nationals and it is quite possible, based on his performance of last year, that DE Smith might force his way into the list of the best 8 Nationals. When he did become a starter, late in the season he certainly impressed.

To those who have made a stab at the depth chart--well done.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8