View Full Version : CFL draft

OV Argo
03-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Is it still going to happen as scheduled ?

Teams will have to do without the valuable Combine testing and interviews; Scouts might have to watch more film instead (maybe a good thing for determining real football talent).

Going to work on my annual All-Draft board team soon anyways, but tougher i guess without Combine results. Sounds like a pretty deep draft year IMO - and the Argos have lots of picks !!!

doubleblue
03-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Is it still going to happen as scheduled ?

Teams will have to do without the valuable Combine testing and interviews; Scouts might have to watch more film instead (maybe a good thing for determining real football talent).

Going to work on my annual All-Draft board team soon anyways, but tougher i guess without Combine results. Sounds like a pretty deep draft year IMO - and the Argos have lots of picks !!!

Everything is kind of up in the air isn't. The CFL says they are looking at all options. I think they're flying by the seat of their pants like everybody else. But if does go as scheduled John Hodge's early mock draft is in the ball park for the players picked IMO. But it is the CFL draft after all where some picks always make you shake your head. I do think that most teams have a book on most of the top guys though from earlier testing's at the East/West game and other games etc. It's the Global draft that going to be difficult for teams IMO.

Argo57
03-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Draft eligible players have been thoroughly scouted and evaluated at this point, my guess is the draft goes as scheduled.
With the technology available at this point it could be conducted remotely to keep everyone safe.

doubleblue
04-22-2020, 01:20 AM
The CFL Draft is still on April 30th, so I have to take a stab at the first couple of rounds. Kind of agree with Marshall Ferguson, but not completely.

#1 Calgary - OT Carter O'Donnell 6'6 300
#2 Toronto - DL Mike Hoecht 6'4 290
#3 BC - DB Marc Antoine Dequoy 6'0 195
#4 Edm - OG Matt Riley 6'3 300
#5 Ham - OG Tomas Jack-Kurdyla 6'3 310
#6 Ott - OL Jesse Lawson 6'5 300
#7 Sask - DE Mason Bennett 6'4 260
#8 Ham - QB Nathan Rourke 6'0 205
#9 Tor - WR Dejon Brisset 6'1 185

#10 Ott - LB Jordan Williams 5'11 220
#11 Tor - OT Dylan Giffen 6'7 325
#12 BC - DE Issac Berglund 6'2 250
#13 Edm - WR Brendan Orange 6'2 210
#14 Mont - OT Ketel Asse 6'7 300
#15 Cal - DL Cameron Lawson 6'3 280
#16 Mont - LB Adam Auclair 6'1 210
#17 Ham - WR Tyler Ternowski 5'10 185
#18 Winn - WR Rysen John 6'7 210

#19 Ott - DB Noah Hallett 6'0 190
#20 Tor - LB Jack Cassar 6'3 225

Argo picks IMO. #2 Hoecht ran a 4.8 forty and is very quick for a big man with a strong motor. Argos need DL depth behind Foote and Smith, maybe he moves ahead of Foote later in the season.
#9 Brisset is rated the best WR in the draft after Claypool. If they do sign Jones, Brisset will just make them deeper at receiver.
#11 OT Giffen will be another project to go along with Simba and Richards. Maybe he goes back to Western for another year.
Territorial pick #20 goes to LB Jack Cassar, he should make his mark on special teams right away. I got a good feeling about him.

doubleblue
04-22-2020, 01:31 AM
I wasn't sure about Ottawa's Territorial area. They used to have the East Coast, Eastern Ontario up to Peterborough and Western Ontario from London to Windsor. Hallett is from the London area. Maybe LB Feltmate from Acadia would be a good pick for them.

gilthethrill
04-22-2020, 09:55 AM
The CFL Draft is still on April 30th, so I have to take a stab at the first couple of rounds. Kind of agree with Marshall Ferguson, but not completely.

#1 Calgary - OT Carter O'Donnell 6'6 300
#2 Toronto - DL Mike Hoecht 6'4 290
#3 BC - DB Marc Antoine Dequoy 6'0 195
#4 Edm - OG Matt Riley 6'3 300
#5 Ham - OG Tomas Jack-Kurdyla 6'3 310
#6 Ott - OL Jesse Lawson 6'5 300
#7 Sask - DE Mason Bennett 6'4 260
#8 Ham - QB Nathan Rourke 6'0 205
#9 Tor - WR Dejon Brisset 6'1 185

#10 Ott - LB Jordan Williams 5'11 220
#11 Tor - OT Dylan Giffen 6'7 325
#12 BC - DE Issac Berglund 6'2 250
#13 Edm - WR Brendan Orange 6'2 210
#14 Mont - OT Ketel Asse 6'7 300
#15 Cal - DL Cameron Lawson 6'3 280
#16 Mont - LB Adam Auclair 6'1 210
#17 Ham - WR Tyler Ternowski 5'10 185
#18 Winn - WR Rysen John 6'7 210

#19 Ott - DB Noah Hallett 6'0 190
#20 Tor - LB Jack Cassar 6'3 225

Argo picks IMO. #2 Hoecht ran a 4.8 forty and is very quick for a big man with a strong motor. Argos need DL depth behind Foster and Smith, maybe he moves ahead of Foster later in the season.
#9 Brisset is rated the best WR in the draft after Claypool. If they do sign Jones, Brisset will just make them deeper at receiver.
#11 OT Giffen will be another project to go along with Simba and Richards. Maybe he goes back to Western for another year.
Territorial pick #20 goes to LB Jack Cassar, he should make his mark on special teams right away. I got a good feeling about him.

Sorry Double Blue...you lost me....who is Foster who plays Dline for the Argos?

My apologizes...I think you meant Foote as in Fabian. For a minute there I thought Evan Foster was reaquired.

Shatto
04-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Cant argue with any of those choices. Personally, I would have gone with an OL player for our first selection but going for Hoecht is also a very good choice. BTW, he apparently ran a 4.65 forty, which is absolutely outstanding. Nice to be talking football even if we have to wait a while for the season to begin (hopefully this year but we will see)

doubleblue
04-22-2020, 02:59 PM
Cant argue with any of those choices. Personally, I would have gone with an OL player for our first selection but going for Hoecht is also a very good choice. BTW, he apparently ran a 4.65 forty, which is absolutely outstanding. Nice to be talking football even if we have to wait a while for the season to begin (hopefully this year but we will see)

4.65 wow, I thought I saw 4.8 somewhere but 4.65 sounds better. On the O Line, after O'Donnell is off the board IMO I don't see an immediate impact starter in the rest. Maybe Jack-Kurdyla can play some later in the year on a good line. To me Simba is closer to starting and then there is Richards who maybe can start, maybe. Also Starczala another big guy who was at the combine last year and could surprise. To me picking at #2 you need to find an impact player, which I think Hoecht can become. But in the back of your mind one keeps remembering about former top picks Cory Greenwood and Ryan Hunter.

doubleblue
04-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Sorry Double Blue...you lost me....who is Foster who plays Dline for the Argos?

My apologizes...I think you meant Foote as in Fabian. For a minute there I thought Evan Foster was reaquired.

Good catch. Fabian Foote it is.

OV Argo
04-22-2020, 05:50 PM
4.65 wow, I thought I saw 4.8 somewhere but 4.65 sounds better. On the O Line, after O'Donnell is off the board IMO I don't see an immediate impact starter in the rest. Maybe Jack-Kurdyla can play some later in the year on a good line. To me Simba is closer to starting and then there is Richards who maybe can start, maybe. Also Starczala another big guy who was at the combine last year and could surprise. To me picking at #2 you need to find an impact player, which I think Hoecht can become. But in the back of your mind one keeps remembering about former top picks Cory Greenwood and Ryan Hunter.

I'd guess that 4.65 is likely hand-timed, which probably translates to a 4.8 range electronic time (the new standard) - but still very quick for a big DT; quickness is an added bonus for a big DT, but be interesting to see his bench # or 3 Cone and shuttle times. IMO - if they want to go DT with first pick - Andrew S-Spaulding (McGill) - Q D player of the year and Metras Trophy winner, would be my preference.

Asse is an OT and would join Richards, Simba and Starczala as OT who they might look to convert to OG - big maybe IMO and why not let them compete at OT; if they want a real, proven interior O-lineman (big need with Holmes & McEwen gone) then IMO they should be looking to a natural, proven interior guy - like Jack- Kudyla or Riley.

Brissett might be a real nice pick - not sure he is an automatic upgrade over the likes of Brescacin, Noel, Gittens, and if Jones is signed, have to think he would be pencilled-in as a starter? - how many back-up NI receivers do they want to carry? - be a different story if they would entertain 2 or even 3 Canadian starting receivers, but I doubt that will be the case.

And Cassar - a big MLB type - to join a big crop of Argo Canadian LBs already ? - not sure that makes a lot of sense; again, unless they would look at a NI to compete for the MLB job.

Hamilton taking Rourke and looking to the future when one of the 2 QBs with starting experience they already have is bound to move on ? - makes sense i guess.

I also believe LB Williams will be gone 1st round - maybe 1st overall to the Stamps or if not Ottawa takes him at #6.

gilthethrill
04-22-2020, 05:58 PM
I'd guess that 4.65 is likely hand-timed, which probably translates to a 4.8 range electronic time (the new standard) - but still very quick for a big DT; quickness is an added bonus for a big DT, but be interesting to see his bench # or 3 Cone and shuttle times. IMO - if they want to go DT with first pick - Andrew S-Spaulding (McGill) - Q D player of the year and Metras Trophy winner, would be my preference.

Asse is an OT and would join Richards, Simba and Starczala as OT who they might look to convert to OG - big maybe IMO and why not let them compete at OT; if they want a real, proven interior O-lineman (big need with Holmes & McEwen gone) then IMO they should be looking to a natural, proven interior guy - like Jack- Kudyla or Riley.

Brissett might be a real nice pick - not sure he is an automatic upgrade over the likes of Brescacin, Noel, Gittens, and if Jones is signed, have to think he would be pencilled-in as a starter? - how many back-up NI receivers do they want to carry? - be a different story if they would entertain 2 or even 3 Canadian starting receivers, but I doubt that will be the case.

And Cassar - a big MLB type - to join a big crop of Argo Canadian LBs already ? - not sure that makes a lot of sense; again, unless they would look at a NI to compete for the MLB job.

Hamilton taking Rourke and looking to the future when one of the 2 QBs with starting experience they already have is bound to move on ? - makes sense i guess.

I also believe LB Williams will be gone 1st round - maybe 1st overall to the Stamps or if not Ottawa takes him at #6..

OV, with the departure of stalwart DT Cleyon Lainge to Ottawa ( thanks for the phone call last fall...it means nothing haha), I would like to see Hoecht get drafted by the Argos 2nd overall pending any NFL interest he may garner. A good OL prospect at 9 would be my second selection...but if this LB Williams is still on the board for some reason I would grab him and go OL at 11.

doubleblue
04-22-2020, 07:56 PM

I also believe LB Williams will be gone 1st round - maybe 1st overall to the Stamps or if not Ottawa takes him at #6.

You could be right about Williams. I thought at one time Calgary would take him 1st overall, will maybe depend on what Huff know about O'Donnell chances of sticking down south from his NFL contacts. Ottawa has 12 Canadian O-Linemen signed with about half of them veterans, so they could well grab Williams at #6 instead of going O-Line.
I believe we have to remember very few of the players drafted will start in their first year. Depth and special teams as they learn the ropes.
I still think Cassar would be an upgrade at LB for special teams. They loss Herdman-Reed and Harrington is quite average IMO. So you could say Shorthill replaces Herdman-Reed and Cassar would compete with Harrington for a game day roster spot. They also still have Kwemo and Onyeke as a special teamers. I believe Kwemo is ready for some MLB playing time in certain situations. Ackie and/or Lokombo as starters probably won't play much special teams. One of them will probably play safety.
But as you know its the CFL and picks are made that are head scratchers. I thought the Argos had a good draft last year except I wanted Saxelid instead of Richards. Saxelid ended up playing a lot for Edmonton. Fontana would have been a good pick at #1 if they had an inkling McEwen was going to go home to Calgary. I thought he would. So we will see if Murphy is as advertised as a talent scout. You have a top two pick you have to get one of the best players available. Popp didn't last year IMO, but he did do well with quantity talent.

OV Argo
04-22-2020, 09:11 PM

OV, with the departure of stalwart DT Cleyon Lainge to Ottawa ( thanks for the phone call last fall...it means nothing haha), I would like to see Hoecht get drafted by the Argos 2nd overall pending any NFL interest he may garner. A good OL prospect at 9 would be my second selection...but if this LB Williams is still on the board for some reason I would grab him and go OL at 11.

Wouldn't mind the Argos going after a good DT prospect with their 1st pick; I'm just not convinced Hoecht is the best one available (Gallimore would be for sure IMO, but he is NFL bound); Hoecht really shot up the draft rankings after is was known he has National status, but i think McGill's Andrew Seinet-Spaulding is the next best DT after Gallimore (and him not being in the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 means zip to me basically) but either of those DTs would be nice to get IMO.

DT at #2, O-line at #9 and then receiver at #11 ? - deep crop at all 3 position groups, so should be able to get 3 excellent prospects.

Shatto
04-22-2020, 11:40 PM
In Hoecht's "virtual pro day" he ran 4.65 backed up with a 4.68, which even if hand timed and wind assisted, is still a damn fast 40, for someone 285/290 lbs. He did 23 reps for the bench and 7.05 for the three cone and 4.21 for the shuttle. If these are anywhere near legitimate, he is well worth drafting in the first round.

There are a number of reasons why IMO, it would be a good move to draft an OL player at #2:
a) Richards, Simba and Starczala are all projects to one degree or other
b) There are 2 OL players good enough to see playing time in their rookie year -O'Donnell (likely to try NFL) and Jack-Kurdyla (likely go before #9-so grab him)
c) The rest of the OL players are primarily prospects--Asse, Giffin etc
d) The team presently has two good DL players capable of playing regularly -Smith and Foote-what is needed is some talent to back them up.
d) There are several very good DL players, most of whom, will be still available at #9--Hoecht, Bennett, Berglund, Lawson and Spalding

At the risk of repeating myself. I'd like to see the team take a flyer on Pinto (Rec) in a later round. He has tremendous potential and is a two time first team all-Canadian. It is a gamble because of his previous drug violation but one well worth taking.

All the comments made by the previous posters, make a lot of sense. One could make a strong case for a number of scenarios --that is what make the CFL so unpredictable and exciting.

OV Argo
04-23-2020, 01:00 AM
In Hoecht's "virtual pro day" he ran 4.65 backed up with a 4.68, which even if hand timed and wind assisted, is still a damn fast 40, for someone 285/290 lbs. He did 23 reps for the bench and 7.05 for the three cone and 4.21 for the shuttle. If these are anywhere near legitimate, he is well worth drafting in the first round.

There are a number of reasons why IMO, it would be a good move to draft an OL player at #2:
a) Richards, Simba and Starczala are all projects to one degree or other
b) There are 2 OL players good enough to see playing time in their rookie year -O'Donnell (likely to try NFL) and Jack-Kurdyla (likely go before #9-so grab him)
c) The rest of the OL players are primarily prospects--Asse, Giffin etc
d) The team presently has two good DL players capable of playing regularly -Smith and Foote-what is needed is some talent to back them up.
d) There are several very good DL players, most of whom, will be still available at #9--Hoecht, Bennett, Berglund, Lawson and Spalding

At the risk of repeating myself. I'd like to see the team take a flyer on Pinto (Rec) in a later round. He has tremendous potential and is a two time first team all-Canadian. It is a gamble because of his previous drug violation but one well worth taking.

All the comments made by the previous posters, make a lot of sense. One could make a strong case for a number of scenarios --that is what make the CFL so unpredictable and exciting.

That is an excellent set of testing #s for a DT - wonder if he might get an NFL look?

Pinto is up there with a bunch of good receivers this crop.

Kicking job is undecided maybe, and Western's Marc Liegghio is an outstanding dual kicker - superb stats both punting & place-kicking last season.

And at the risk of repeating myself / to disagree- Mattland Riley (Sask. Huskies) is a top notch prospect this draft, and maybe the best interior O-line guy available. And the Bombers started 2 rookie NI O-linemen on their interior line in the run up to and in the GC win last season.

Argos have lots of picks and early - I just hope they draft proven college ball players - at a few position groups - and stay away from big reach "project" or special teamer only types.

OV Argo
04-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Nathan Rourke & Carter O'Donnell go NFL un-drafted; might mean they are taken early in the CFL draft; but they could still sign as NFL priority FAs in the next few days before the CFL draft = could affect their CFL draft status.

Argo57
04-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Nathan Rourke & Carter O'Donnell go NFL un-drafted; might mean they are taken early in the CFL draft; but they could still sign as NFL priority FAs in the next few days before the CFL draft = could affect their CFL draft status.

Michael Hoecht and Rysen John, 2 top CFL prospect signs down south, these signings starts to take the steam out of the CFL.
The CFL draft unique in the fact you don’t necessarily draft the best player instead you draft the best player you can sign.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-defensive-tackle-michael-hoecht-signs-with-nfls-xxxxx/ (https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-defensive-tackle-michael-hoecht-signs-with-nfls-xxxxx/)
[/URL][URL]https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-receiver-rysen-john-signs-with-new-york-giants/ (https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-defensive-tackle-michael-hoecht-signs-with-nfls-xxxxx/)

OV Argo
04-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Michael Hoecht and Rysen John, 2 top CFL prospect signs down south, these signings starts to take the steam out of the CFL.
The CFL draft unique in the fact you don’t necessarily draft the best player instead you draft the best player you can sign.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-defensive-tackle-michael-hoecht-signs-with-nfls-xxxxx/ (https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-defensive-tackle-michael-hoecht-signs-with-nfls-xxxxx/)
https://3downnation.com/2020/04/25/canadian-receiver-rysen-john-signs-with-new-york-giants/

O'Donnell and DB Dequoy have signed at NFL FAs too per 3 Down

So that makes 6 top CFL draft prospects either NFL drafted or FA signed; drag for the CFL but shows the talent the Canadian football system (well not Hoecht though) produces - as all those other guys started playing football in Canada.

Argo57
04-25-2020, 09:03 PM
O'Donnell and DB Dequoy have signed at NFL FAs too per 3 Down

So that makes 6 top CFL draft prospects either NFL drafted or FA signed; drag for the CFL but shows the talent the Canadian football system (well not Hoecht though) produces - as all those other guys started playing football in Canada.

One would suspect more signing ahead of the CFL draft will happen, perhaps teams use their later round picks as “speculation” picks in case these players return to Canada.

Shatto
04-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Recent NFL signings convinces me that signing Jack -Kurdyla would be a good move. It is unlikely he will get much NFL interest but even if he does, he will still probably be available for the start of the CFL season (if there is one)

paulwoods13
04-26-2020, 08:05 AM
One would suspect more signing ahead of the CFL draft will happen, perhaps teams use their later round picks as “speculation” picks in case these players return to Canada.

Given how much we restocked our NAT depth this off-season, I would not be opposed to using our early second-round pick on one of the NFL signees, especially Dequoy. As an older player (25), he seems most likely not to last a long time down there.

If there ends up being no NFL season this year, the free-agent signings down south will be up against it next year when a second group of draftees and UFAs arrives. So IMO it would be a smart play to also go after Hoecht and O'Donnell, and don't wait too long to do so -- say third round.

Argo57
04-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Given how much we restocked our NAT depth this off-season, I would not be opposed to using our early second-round pick on one of the NFL signees, especially Dequoy. As an older player (25), he seems most likely not to last a long time down there.

If there ends up being no NFL season this year, the free-agent signings down south will be up against it next year when a second group of draftees and UFAs arrives. So IMO it would be a smart play to also go after Hoecht and O'Donnell, and don't wait too long to do so -- say third round.

A fair point Paul but with short term contracts you still need to draft players that you can sign.
I agree wholeheartedly the Argos did a wonderful job in addressing their Canadian quality and depth on their roster, the trick will be how long do you wait start with these “speculative” picks?

doubleblue
04-26-2020, 03:26 PM
So far O'Donnell signs with Colts, Dequoy with the Packers, John with the Giants and Hoecht with one of the LA clubs. Last year none of the undrafted players that signed stuck down south, which was somewhat surprising especially for Mathieu Betts. But every year and player is different along with the circumstances. The increase in the PR rosters for the NFL this year may result in more undrafted Canadian players sticking though. I'm sure there won't be any NFL mini camps this year so I'm sure these signed players will be going to the main camps. That has to change where they are on Thursday I would think. I had thought Hoecht from a Div II school might sneak through, but his pro day numbers were too good to miss. So who really stands out from who's left? A lot of good players but no real can't miss guys. Maybe Jordan Williams goes to the head of the class and if the Argos want Brissett they better take him with their first pick.

Golden Fleece
04-30-2020, 09:44 PM
What do you think of the Argos picks so far? Was anybody hoping for Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund at #2? I don't know much about the prospects at all, so I'm curious to hear some thoughts.

paulwoods13
05-01-2020, 07:58 AM

Hoecht, Dequoy and O'Donnell all went pretty early, as they should have IMO. I would have been happy with any of those guys on our board.

AngeloV
05-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Hoecht, Dequoy and O'Donnell all went pretty early, as they should have IMO. I would have been happy with any of those guys on our board.

Regarding Hoecht, I personally would stay away from drafting IVY leaguers. My thinking is unless they are looking for an NFL stepping stone, they likely have the ability to make more money than what the CFL can pay them outside of football.

gilthethrill
05-01-2020, 02:38 PM
How old is Jordan Williams and how much does he weight? I read he is 27, maybe 25....some articles state he weighs 230 while others say 219.

doubleblue
05-03-2020, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=gilthethrill;149914]How old is Jordan Williams and how much does he weight? I read he is 27, maybe 25....some articles state he weighs 230 while others say 219.[/QUOTE

I've seen 5'11 219 age 25

OV Argo
05-03-2020, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=gilthethrill;149914]How old is Jordan Williams and how much does he weight? I read he is 27, maybe 25....some articles state he weighs 230 while others say 219.[/QUOTE

I've seen 5'11 219 age 25

That is the height & weight measured at the Ontario Regional Combine.

Maybe a bit under-sized for a MLB, but with that athleticism, he could probably play either MLB or W-OLB in the CFL. BC already had Herdman-Reed & Adam Konar as experienced CFL LBs; they could easily go with the 2 best of those 3 from TC competition for the MLB & Will spots (but i'd be surprised if Hervey & Campbell start 2 Canadian linebackers). They also signed ex-Esk Kenny Ladler, back from an NFL stint - not sure if he would line-up at Sam OLB ?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8